Reviews of Holiday Inn Norwich City 4 stars

Carrow Road, Norwich, NR1 1HU, United Kingdom

#5 of 21 hotels in Norwich

Based on 1921 hotel reviews

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Car park payment should be included in the price and yes it says in the email you have to pay but when I checked in I was told the rear car park was ok to park in. It's only £5:95 but tell me !!

Room Was excellent

• Double Room - Stadium Side

Thought I had made the booking with breakfast included. But could not find my conformation. Explained this to the receptionist, he replied there was nothing he could do and would have to pay £14.99 per person if I wanted any! Rude and expensive. However we did have breakfast, it was nice, but was charged £8!!! Didn’t sleep either as an alarm was going off all night. Wouldn’t stay there again as there are better places to stay in Norwich.

Room was clean, comfy bed. Good breakfast

• Executive Double Room

The night clerk was marvellous when he discovered I had left my car ( in a torrential rainstorm) with engine and wipers join, and unlocked. He turned everything off and left a note in my room. Gold start for that man!

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

The mattress was not comfortable,-by all means you can sleep on it but for eg Premier Inn mattresses are much better ( but they don't have a great breakfast!). No fridge in the room. Also we slept with the window open and at 7am the workers where doing work on the stadium pitch till 830pm. The view was poor as too close to the stadium- unless you like to see stadium seats/pitch. Just be careful when booking about match days at the Stadium as this could have an impact on noise level and traffic.

The breakfast was excellent, lots of choices including pancakes, strongly recommend, however the a la carte dinner menu was poor, lack of vegetarian choice (eg no veggie pasta). The fish and chips is not the best I ate. Friendly staff. Very close to retail center and ski dry slope .

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Couldn't really fault anything, maybe a few more car spaces made at front of hotel but can't really fault anything. Had a really enjoyable stay.

The rooms were lovely and clean, lovely overlooking football pitch. the staff were really helpful, myself and my son are Coeliac and the staff were really accommodating, gluten free toast and cereal provided.

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

We are used to King size beds, so sleeping in a full size was a bit tight, even for my kids sharing, because they like a barrier between them.

Amazing, friendly staff who will bend over backward for you. Comfortable bed.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Great location, easy to find and great facilities nearby. Very clean, lovely helpful staff. Room was amazing. Beds very comfy. Food was great and reasonably priced. Would definitely stay here again.

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Just that the car parking was a little confusing, the on site parking was great but you could't leave the car there till after 2pm and had to be out by 12noon this could be explained a little bit more on the website as we arrived in Norwich at 10.30 and we had to find another car park to use till we could check in but the riverside car park near by was very easy to find and was reasonably priced.

The location was good, the beds were so comfy, having the family room was great one of the reason for us booking a holiday inn. Really welcoming from the moment you walk in. The car parking as a little confusing but was nice to have on site parking.

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Brilliant hotel, lovely and clean & great with the children. Emmy in the lounge could not do any more for us. Will definitely be coming back next time we come to Norwich.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The dinners were disappointing . Choice on second day were strange . Some of the table staff were at times totally unsmiling. Queues at bar pre dinner due to only one rushed bartender unacceptable .

Breakfasts had a good selection , and staff were diligent in replacing fresh foods. Reception staff were smiling ,pleasant and helpful

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Friendly staff, very very clean. I work in hotels and there are things I always check when I stay at other brands, all spotless. Very comfortable room and bed, bathroom was a little small but I wasn’t looking to hang out in there anyway! Excellent breakfast with food staff and nice extras available like pancakes. Absolute bargain aswell! Suited us 10/10 for this trip.

• Deluxe Double Room

The Room was perfect large and very comfortable. Breakfast very good lots of choice. Staff very polite and helpful. Ate one night in hotel restaurant and the meal was enjoyable.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

It was lovely and clean rooms spacious and comfortable. Good selection of breakfast something to please everyone. All staff where polite and smartly dressed.

The whole of the property was clean fresh and airy. Location was not too far from train station or city only about 10 minutes walk.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The presentation of the evening meals could have been better.

Great bedroom, very comfortable beds. Lifts were quick to arrive. Very good breakfast and excellent choices to suit all tastes. Wonderful to have a pot of coffee brought to the table. (I hate using the machines that take for ever to produce indifferent coffee!) Staff all very friendly and helpful. Good sized car park and easy access to the hotel.

• Double Room - Stadium Side

Nothing bad but we would have been happier with a more varied bar menu. The staff were very polite and pleasant and accommodation very clean. We would stay there again.

The location was excellent. Once we parked the car we used our bus passes and travelled everywhere on this facility, couldn't fault it. Overlooking the Norwich football stadium was a bonus.

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

The double beds are a bit on the small side. In saying that we're used to 180x200 however if 140x 200 is standard in the UK then that's just us.

Good central location, reasonably priced, friendly staff, great breakfast selection, just what you need to start the day.

Only negative is the breakfast is far too expensive - £30 on the door for two or £21 if paid on arrival. Luckily we just went to Morrisons' cafe across the street and bought a lovely cooked breakfast for £3.90 each!

We stayed during the weekend of the Royal wedding. The mattress was super soft and luxurious. The tea and coffee facilities were just enough to last us the night and morning after. Excellent modern and large Samsung TV. Friendly staff. I also think we were upgraded free of charge in terms of room and bed size, perhaps due to business being quieter on a Friday night. Our room was located on the second floor and faced the stadium, so our window view of the pitch felt like a VIP box during match day -shame it wasn't match day and Norwich are playing in the Championship, as their ground is well kept by the club staff.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Very small point: the hot water into the bath flowed very slowly, so I had to shower instead of bathe.

The hotel was clean and bright, and the welcome was good. I found my room without any problems, and everything I needed was available. I even had a small view of the football pitch!

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Doors not having soft close, got woken early by departing guests. Grass cutting at 07.30 at football ground.

Very professional and friendly reception staff, particularly the Deputy manager who arrange for our motorcycle to be parked in a secure area.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Breakfast experience, had to wait for portions to appear

food expensive, and no dinner available, only in bar area, which was untidy. Breakfast options were late to provide, as too little staff on duty, as rushed off their feet. Seating for breakfast poor.

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Car parking bit of a hassle when full.

Staff are amazing, super helpful amd went completely out of their way to ensure the kids had everything they needed. Lovely kids touches left in the room etc. Milk and cookies complementary also given to them at the bar which they loved. Special little soaps and towels. Plenty of room in rooms and comfy beds.

The breakfast was not value at £14.95 per head. The charge to park was unacceptable and the room was noisy all night with a loud humming noise. The bar food was of poor quality. The added costs of parking and breakfast made it more expensive than local 4 star hotels.

The location for us to play football. Rooms were of good size and order.

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Bed a bit hard, but got used to it by the second night.

Breakfast was really good, with lots of different options. Kids stay and eat free was a great perk. Location was very nice, close to river and major shopping and entertainment center, and close to city center. Always fresh supply of coffee, tea, cookies, etc. in our bedroom. Nice bath with shower and tub.

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Nothing, it was exactly what we wanted.

The choice and quality of food at breakfast was wonderful. We only wished our tummies were bigger! Dinner was cooked exactly how we asked it to be and the quality of food was 10/10. We were still talking about it the next day! The room we had was spacious, very clean and the beds were extremely comfortable. A wonderful place to stay.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The check-in assistant was super-helpful. Although I rocked up about 90 minutes before official check-in time she was able to sort out a room for me and her attitude was absolutely superb. The bar and foyer were absolutely heaving because a Norwich City game was starting about 20 minutes after I arrived, but this was a good thing - the place was bustling and the two teams' footy fans were good-humoured and chatting with each other. I've stayed here a handful of times, and I've always enjoyed it.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

We rang to check we had twin, when we arrived they had changed our room to a double., we were upgraded to an executive room but wanted a twin.

Next to Carrow Road , and my football club. See you next season.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The fact that the bar drinks had to be charged to your room after a certain time. The fact that it was part of the football ground. Didn’t read that.

Friendly staff.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Not central to city centre. Bathroom in need of some upkeep

Helpful staff, good breakfast, spacious rooms, despite a football match on, rooms and corridors still quiet.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

When I arrived staff were parked in the disabled parking bays and I had to wait about 10 minutes for a member of staff to come and move her car. Not only did this delay me (which wouldn't normally have mattered but it was already late when I arrived) but it also made me feel awkward. (It is worth mentioning that it would be good if you could find an alternative to the iron posts which are laid on the floor in the parking spots make it difficult to maneuver wheelchairs and mobility scooters from the boots of vehicles.) I ordered a salad for room service and when I rang 40 minutes later to see where it was I was told it would be 10 minutes. I presume the order had been forgotten. Due to my late arrival, by then it was too late to eat so I chose not to have dinner - which was not ideal. This is why I marked the staff lower

The accessible room was extremely spacious

• Double Room - Disability Access

Asked for pitch side room and only got half of the stadium.. did book beforehand and when questioned after that was all they had left. Friends arrived later never asked for pitch side room and was given one. strange when told us they had no more

Location to city

• Double Room - Stadium Side

The Hotel and staff were amazing the only issue for us was that booking.com website showed this hotel was 200 yards from the city centre, which is why we picked it but found out on checking in it was a 15 minute walk (really at least 20 minute walk) I would still recommend the hotel though

room was excellent, really comfortable bed and the view was great, staff were excellent, really helpful

Restaurant choices pricey for basic menu. However food was good and service excellent. The family room was only made up for two people (cups, towels etc) but housekeeping soon rectified this.

The staff were friendly and the proximity to the football club. Very laid back and welcoming. Loved the made to order pancakes at breakfast.

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

There was no water in the room which which prevented us from washing and flushing the toilet. Really disappointed that only compensation offered was the breakfast.

The children received and activity bag upon arrival

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Shower temperature switch not working, blasting out scalding hot water and not balancing for cold water. Could seriously burn a child or elderly person if they go in unwares. Had to run bath instead, but even bath tap was very slow running. Not ideal if your pressed for time and in a rush, showers need urgent attention.

Very comfortable stay, spacious rooms, lovely breakfast.

• Double Room - Disability Access

The one and only complaint I would have is the breakfast, most of the breakfast trays were empty when we went down, no eggs,sausages,mushrooms and the rest was unfortunately cold. We paid £20 for breakfast but didn’t get much.

The hotel was amazing, our room was even better! We loved it, definitely booking again soon.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The 'high speed' wifi was poor. The reception staff tried to help but to no avail

Room was comfortable, very helpful staff, evening meal was fine

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Room overlooking Norwich football ground - not sure what it would be like on a match day, but great if you're a football fan!

Very clean and comfortable. Pleasant public areas, no problems at all during our stay. Good facilities in the room. Handy for shops with a retail park opposite and a short distance from the centre of Norwich. Couldn't have asked for more.

• Executive Double Room

Such a terrible experience I won't be staying with Holiday Inn again. We booked an Executive Room which was far from that. First it was full of football fans who had taken over the whole bar. We were then informed the roads around the hotel would be closed for the football (annoying as we had a wedding open the outskirts of Norwich so we had to leave very early to avoid being trapped). The TV in the room didn't work, internet signal was terrible, the cooler didn't work and so the room was stuffy and hot. The staff on reception didn't offer any apology and informed me that there was a sign telling me the TV's weren't working and that they would be fixed in a few days (made no difference to me as we were only there for two nights).

Nothing - it is a little way from the town centre but you can walk (30 mins or so) or get the nearby bus or even cabs are only about £5.50 to the middle of town

Comfy bed, really clean and spacious room, great staff and I think we got an extra great deal as I couldn’t believe the value for money! Would definitely stay again!

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Nothing negative - a home from home.

We loved our visit! Friendly staff, very clean facilities and the beds were so comfortable. Really enjoyed the breakfast - great range and delicious. Will definitely stay here again.

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

No clothes hooks in room, bed was very good but I personally prefer firmer mattresses. Many small bits of rubbish strewn amongst the hedges outside the hotel - not the hotel's fault but a result of being close to the stadium

Good location, good size room, professional staff

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Not enough vegan options for dinner. 2 single beds and a double would have been better for a family room as our kids were a nightmare sharing the same bed

Friendly staff, clean spacious room, a bath in the bathroom and not just a shower

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Next to a football ground Resturant didn’t cook food as requested Not as close to center of town as I was lead to believe Staff parking in disability parking bay with no badge

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Not the hotel's fault so much, but the parking was a nightmare, as the small car park was already full.

Lovely place. Most of the staff were very friendly

• Executive Double Room

The bar!! Astronomical prices! I drink Hendricks gin and it was £7.50 for a single shot then £2.25 for a tonic!!! I would expect to pay this in Mayfair, but not Norwich!!! You can get a bottle from the supermarket for £28 so I think their profit margin is just ridiculous and is ripping people off.

In the grounds of Norwich City Football Club it’s a perfect location to watch the football. Walking distance to a number of shops, restaurants and bars by the canal. About a 15-20 minute walk to the city centre which has a fabulous range of shops and a market. Rooms clean and comfortable. Breakfast very good.

The internet didnot work. I was given a code to access it, but it would not let me on at all. I ended up using the hotspot on my mobile. I do think that this is one area where alot of hotels need to improve in, and I would include this one.

The staff were very friendly and the whole place was incredibly clean. The food was lovely, and the hotel just had a very nice feel to it. I also really appreciated the view from my window-looking onto the corner of the Norwich City pitch, especially as my team, Fulham, beat them 2-0 the next day!! I also had a brilliant sleep-the bed was very comfortable.

See above

Staff were great, decor was lovely, could have been slightly cleaner and didn't like having to park away from the hotel but that's just me being fussy would definitely use again although I think £60 a night is a more reasonable reflection

The double bed could have been larger, King minimum, and there could have been complementary water in the room.

Hotel was very good and the staff were very friendly and helpful.

I had to pay a £50 cash deposit for paying in cash. Even though the hotel had my card on file. On checking out me and my partner had to wait until a staff member had checked our room before we could leave! Very embarrassing. We missed our bus home in the end & had to buy train tickets. I had a genuine reason for needing to pay cash on the day (problem with a new card) and to be honest we felt quite embarrassed, like we might have been the ‘type’ to maybe trash a hotel room :-( I was under the impression that in here in the UK you can pay in cash and my cash is as good as anyone else’s? I understand the deposit but the waiting until someone said we can go..I do not. Like I said, my card was used to secure my stay as well as my address, phone number etc & could have been charged, should we have caused any damage. Also the shower took AGES to heat up & had hardly any pressure. I wouldn’t have mentioned this if it hadn’t been for the negative experience on leaving.

Very quiet and comfortable, nice breakfast.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Parking. There is a lack of space and the parking rented from the football ground costs extra.

Receptionist Heather was very helpful. Beds were amazing. Lovely room.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The distance to walk from the hotel to the city centre in conditions of extreme cold, but I'm not going to suggest that the hotel should be moved. In warmer weather I would welcome the opportunity to walk into the city centre.

The choice of food was excellent, the temperature in the accommodation was comfortable at all times (our stay was during a spell of intensely cold weather) and staff were very polite and helpful. I would stay there again.

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

what I received for the price I paid and what I expected was fantastic. the room was great and the location was fantastic .. so close to the town and the people in Norwich are so so friendly brilliant place to stay n would recommend to anyone

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Paying to park, long walk to town uphill, across the river. Internet instructions unclear, as the TV information did not work. Reception gave me verbal instructions when I phoned.

Beds were a pleasure, room comfy and warm. Staff helpful as our first visit to Norwich, we needed directions and advice.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Everyone seemed to go the extra mile to make you feel welcome. Great breakfast, clean and comfortable room, with all mod cons! Reception staff especially welcoming and helpful. Good location.

• Double Room - Stadium Side

We ordered Strawberry & Pistachio Millefeuille as pictured on the menu. When served the pistachio was almost non-existent and the Strawberries had become Blackcurrants, tart instead of sweet! The flaky pastry was also very thick and poor. It was sent back and replaced by one with the correct ingredients. The bacon at breakfast had also been left under the heat on the buffet bar for too long and was stiff and like cardboard. Again it was replaced when this was pointed out.

Don't be fooled by its stated location. It is only 200 metres from Norwich City but the Football Club NOT the City Centre of Norwich!

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Air con a little noisy but ok. No fridge in the room

I came here with my husband, our first night away for a long time. The room was nice, clean and comfy the staff all lovely and friendly. Breakfast was ok. We will back next month with our 2 boys

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Wi-Fi could have been A little faster

It was my daughter's birthday and staff were lovely enough to arrange a card and chocolates. Nothing was to much trouble, Breakfast staff were nice enough to sing happy birthday. Thanks very very much. We will be back!

Couldn't think of anything

Bar & Restaurant very accommodating to my requirements especially when having children with me who never know what they want for dinner

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Few members of staff in particular let it down, as they were very rude and very unhelpful behind the desk in the morning of check out. Other than this it was lovely

Beds were lovely, facilities were good for what we needed

• Double Room - Stadium Side

Excellent but brief stay - staff were truly welcoming and happy to help with luggage & taxi arrangements especialy with the blizzard conditions experienced

• Standard Double or Twin Room

No washcloths in the bathroom.

I loved the decor & colors of the room, the bed was comfy, the Staff were friendly, and the room was soundproof; I couldn’t hear anything from the football match next door!

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Just two small niggles Could do with two comfy chairs in a room & the mirror was too high to do hair at the table.

Massive choice at breakfast, attentive staff. Lovely and quiet despite overlooking the football stadium.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Maybe lack of enough front of hotel parking.. In rain or snow a fair walk, with cases.

Excellent staff, at all levels, reception, Bar and Restaurant, warm, helpful and smiling

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Pillows a bit firm. Awoke with a stiff neck

Unexpected room upgrade to a room on the stadium side. Great view of the pitch (although no matches being played)

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Thought breakfast was a little pricey.

Rooms were spacious and clean with good facilities. The beds were very comfortable and the staff very helpful and friendly. The hotel was also in a good location within easy access to the city centre.

Very busy if there is a game on but as we were there for the football it added to the atmosphere

Ideal if you are going to the football. Breakfast was good.

No free parking, expensive breakfast, disinterested staff, noisy room from outside street noise, noisy heating system.

Convenience and location. Large clean room with good comfort.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Unfortunately the TV, kettle and hairdryer in our room was not working at all.

The staff were very friendly and welcoming, and the room was very spacious and comfy, with a nice view of the football stadium. Just a short walk from the city centre, so ideal location. Parking was a small cost per night. Breakfast was good for the price.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Uncooked food, vegetarian options unavailable. Was unable to relax in room due to it being so dirty.

not a lot to like when the room is unbelievably cold and dirty.

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

No vegetarian options available, under cooked eggs. Room was very cold, blocked sink, very very dirty rooms.

Parking was very convenient, beds very comfortable.

Being directly next door to a football stadium isn't a problem but the crowds in the reception and bar area before and after the match was loud and daunting.

Friendly reception staff who were happy to assist. Good sized rooms with everything we needed -very clean and very quiet at night. The breakfast was AMAZING -so much on offer.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The food was a little on the pricey side. I would say keep the price and not charge room service (or room service for £1) or reduce the pricing and keep the room service charge.

As a romantic place I would find somewhere a bit more concentrated for couples. However from my experience it was for my 21st, me, my partner and my friends enjoyed the stay! A walk away from restaurants, bars, clubs and chapelfield! Perfect location. Staff were simply impeccable. We checked out at 12 but mentioned we would shop till 3 and they allowed me to park there at no extra cost. Above and beyond service that I have never experienced in any other hotel (not even premier inn!!) As long as the staff is the same in every other holiday inn, it will be my go to hotel. Especially if I come to Norwich again.

The bath taps and hot water situation was a bit Anoying as it took ages for the bath to fill using hot water but I didn’t say anything as I doubt there is much that can be done about that

Great service brought my partner up to pay there and they had taken payment so it was disrcreatw and fast, they knew who I was as when I came to the desk and where’s willingly helpful with everything

Could do with really good deep clean in bathroom as some mould right in corner of bath.

Staff were exceptionally helpful especially Kat and Jessie . Got upgraded to executive room which was lovely. No problems with anything we requested. very helpful and would definitely stay again.

Standard of cleaning in bathroom was appalling. Build up of dirt in sink drain, plug, around shower screen, door and the coffee cups had clearly not been cleaned prior to our arrival. How is this not noticed by the housekeeping manager? Are spot checks not part of the management style? This really put a dampener on our stay. Security needs to be addressed. Anyone can enter hotel and use the lift unchecked as key cards are not required and the layout of the ground floor reception means a lack of challenge if non hotel staff or guests come into the lobby area.

Professional and friendly staff, Tom and Hannah were good on reception. Great location near main train station, retail park and Norwich City Football Club. Spacious standard double room, comfortable king size bed, well lit full length mirror and steam free bathroom mirror. Customer service were responsive after we made our feelings clear in respect of issues in our room.