Reviews of Holiday Inn Reading South M4 Jct 11 4 stars

500 Basingstoke Road, Reading, RG2 0SL, United Kingdom

#20 of 38 hotels in Reading

Lovely location beside bus stop for ease of getting to...

Location for me was wonderful close to family but also close to shopping

Lovely location beside bus stop for ease of getting to Venter of city without driving

Not satisfied

I couldn’t sleep as the light from the corridor was very bright . Also there was a green light continuously on which lit up the room . I was put in a room for a disabled person so the chair in the shower kept falling down and the cord was too close to the bed .

Adequate and pleasant with facilities that could do with a facelift
    • Double Room with Sofa Bed

The pool area is looking a bit jaded as is the car park door access system. The sitcom was adequate and struggled with the heat.

Good location for a simple bus ride to Reading Staff were pleasant and helpful

Nice but let down by jacuzzi and pool in general which is why we choose hotel

Spa run down disappointment choose hotel because of spa wasn't nice walking through gym first young lady who I was told was manager didn't give me a towel so I had to go out and ask for one then I had to go out again and ask for a token should have given me a towelin the first place

Cleaners staff bed breakfast

Very clean and modern

Good location just off M4. Modern, very clean, quiet and nicely maintained hotel. All staff members were very friendly and helpful. Good choice for breakfast. Best Holiday Inn we have stayed in so far.

3.0
    Drunken.

Drunken. Abusive people staying at hotel not being dealt with was meeting my friend who had been told very tragic news regarding her daughter needed. Peace and quiet paid for 3 nights stayed 1 and booked out manager left message he would call later in the day never did poor customer service .

A good place to stay for one or two nights
    • Double or Twin Room

service in the restaurant was very slow and the equipment in the gym was old and falry worn

the staff were very friendly and helpful. It was good to use the gym which had plently of equipment

My Wife is in a Wheelchair and the adapted rooms are perfect.

My Wife is in a Wheelchair and the adapted rooms are perfect. Well thought out and very accessible . everything in the room was at the right height for my wife to access while still in the wheelchair. Booking .com forgot to conform our reservation so the Hotel did not know we were coming . But the Staff were fantastic and sorted everything out. Brilliant!!

All staff, without exception, were incredibly friendly and...

All staff, without exception, were incredibly friendly and helpful. The whole hotel has undergone a recent refurb, rooms were clean and facilities were spot on. I've said in 5* places that weren't a patch on this place.

Would definitely stay again very good value for money clean modern comfortable and good quality food

I was impressed that the e messenger had noted on our account the late checkout requested but the message had unfortunately not been passed to housekeeping who entered the room to question why we were still there after 12 I was in the bath and could of been a bit embarrassing if my infirm partner had not got to the door fairly quickly

For the money we paid we had a very comfortable modern room breakfast was lovely but could be replenished quicker but they had just had a rush on but very good quality though. Staff were very lovely and helpful.

Ok but could have been better!

We went for dinner in the restaurant, my wife is a celiac and one of the staff members was very rude with us and said that the kitchen had not got any gluten free chips when we had been told by others that they can just cook some in the oven instead of frying them! We got the allergy book and it said the chips were ok! My wife got very upset as she didn’t know what was going on, another waiter came over to help and sorted it all out, lucky! The other issue was that the check time is 12 noon at 10.30 a cleaner came knocking on the door chasing us up to leave.

Beds are firm and air con in room was great. Most of the staff were great and helpful.

Decent.
    • Double Room with Sofa Bed

The policy of taking a pre-authorisation is silly, if you only have the money on the day of departure then it seems unfair you have to do a pre authorisation. I was told if I did not have this I would not be able to stay hence I would of been left to sleep on the street.

The room was okay, the swimming pool and gym were good, food and drinks were decent price and quality.

Everything we needed

The bed was HUGE! Which was amazing and so comfy. The room was modern and very clean with all the needed extras. Really good quality hair dryer. Didn't use the facilities as we ran out of time. Staff very pleasant and accommodating

My Wife is a wheelchair user and the Accessible rooms are...

Nothing everything was great

My Wife is a wheelchair user and the Accessible rooms are fantastic, Well thought out and totally wheelchair friendly. Staff could not be more helpful and friendly

So pleased I'm about to book again for my return journey this weekend.

A massage would have been great, although I did enjoy an early morning swim.

Recently refurbished and extremely comfortable bedroom. Excellent value for money and so convenient as a place to break a long journey. Staff could not have been nicer or more helpful.

My wife is a wheelchair user we have used this Hotel several times. due to its excellent rooms

Nothing. Everything was excellent

My wife is a wheelchair user we have used this Hotel several times. due to its excellent accommodation for people with disability's , Very large rooms with very accessible showers and toilet. ( there has been a lot of thought put into the design of the room and everything is at the right height for wheel chair users ) The staff are very helpful and very quick to help. ( I actually pulled the alarm cord by accident and we had housekeeping at the door within seconds !!!!) Restaurant staff are always helpful and place us in accessible seating

Perfect stay for Madjeski

The swimming pool and changing rooms could do with a good clean

Perfect location for the stadium, staff were all amazingly friendly, especially at breakfast. Rooms were clean, bed was comfy.

Average

For the price which we paid the fact breakfast wasn't included was a rip off. And 24 hr bar that was closed at 11.30... not really 24 hour. Hotel itself is nice but facilities for late arrivals who have been travelling for 6 hours in a car was shocking. When asked what there was available to eat 'there's a McDonald's round the corner' wasn't exactly the answer I wanted.

Clean and nice decor.

Won’t rush back!

The gym and spa well the gym was busy with 2 people in. The pool not sure when it was last cleaned or painted and the sauna was the smallest sauna I’ve ever had the misfortune to go in , in desperate need of cleaning and upgrading!

Room was newly refurbished but the carpet was obviously not replaced. Very small bathroom

Clean and friendly and an amazing breakfast

Has been refurbished and looks great. Very clean and very friendly staff. Perfect location for reading as there is a bus stop nearby that runs all night. Breakfast was fab.

Convenient,value for money.
    • Executive Double Room

Nothing Jared on my short stay

A simple family and stopover business hotel. Good value for money not ideal for a long stay. Location convenient but not beautiful.

Enjoyable break

No lift ... did ask for a ground floor room if possible . Not enough milks in room for more than 1 cup of tea ! Poor show !

Found the pool and spa/swelcome bonus

Very enjoyable friendly staff

Better description of deposit as was not explained very well

The bed was extremely comfortable breakfast was delicious and very fresh very quick to fill up when things became empty

Pleasure as always - great hotel and service

The only thing I would say is the price is too high in comparison to other hotels that I have stayed at.

I have grown to love a Holiday Inn, great hotels, all very consistent with customer service, facilities and comfort, ideal for business trips and equally for a treat night away.

Amazing!!

The hotel was in a great location and it was easy to get too! The staff where always very friendly and very happy to help with any queries! Our room was very spacious and big the bath was absolutely amazing! To top it all off we where able to use the swim, jacuzzi and sauna within the hotel which was lovely and peaceful! The bed was so comfortable and big we both had a great nights sleep! Will definitely come back again! Superb hotel!

Very good stay nice clean hotel

Price of hotel food was a little pricey, which why we chooses to eat out instead

The bedroom was really nice and spacious, and super comfy, I like how everything was close, like the shops and restaurants and the motorway was close enough to join but far enough so you couldn’t here it :)

Very pleasant and convenient

Only one bath towel in the room (travelling as a couple). Had to ask 4 times before one was provided

Overall the staff was friendly Very nice breakfast

Very good value comfortable accommodation. Would happily stay there again.

Breakfast was self service canteen style. Quite a good choice, but a bit confusing. Some glasses were left on a tray along our corridor from when we arrived at 3 pm until the next morning. Need to sort out entrance barrier. Couldn't enter once as coach blocking traffic.

Bed was very comfortable and room surprisingly quiet, despite having a window open and being by a busy road. Room was well-equipped, recently renovated and immaculately clean. Useful location. Easy free parking. Staff were friendly and helpful. Nice grounds. Very convenient for buses to town.

Overall lovely and great facilities.
    • Executive Double Room

I think that the tea/coffee making options could be better. Why does everywhere have to be so basic in it’s options? Spoil me after a long journey! I don’t mind paying a few pounds more to have Twinings everyday tea, soya milk for a vegan like me - just something a little bit less basic. I hate Tetley Tea too!

The cleanliness was superb and the hotel felt bright and airy.

Disappointed.

Room temperature was too cold and staff were not able to adjust it. Pool opening times were not suitable for business travellers who arrive mid evening and leave early.

Relaxing stay in very clean modern and comfortable hotel

A bath would have been good.. and less noise in corridor in early morning. Changing rooms in spa could have been bigger, and a swim suit dryer machine useful.

Clean, spacious, modern good air con Spa pool very nice

All in all An excellent weekend

The only thing was that the room was quite warm. Climate control couldn't be changed as preset

The new room makeovers are excellent and the bed very comfortable. Evening meal on Friday was also very good

I specifically asked for a bath

I specifically asked for a bath And there wasn’t one and the room was advertised with a bath This is the second time this has happened and I will not be using Booking .com again

Bitterly disappointed
    • Double or Twin Room

The whole place was having a party to which we hadn't been invited. Rude receptionist and poor customer service saw us get less than 4hrs sleep!

It was within a mile of where we needed to be making it a great suitable venue.

No much because the was lots of work carry out ,and the...

The staff was not helpful

No much because the was lots of work carry out ,and the sight was very poor, long coredo long walks, I have to ask the staff to fine the room for me ,no happy

Mostly really good.

Foil/cling film on room service items. Need stream holes. Not good to wrap in foil or cling film warm bread or baked items like pizza, pastries or bread as it then goes soggy or chewy rather than crispy.

Really nice staff and helpful.

I would recommend Holiday Inn to friends and family.
    • Double or Twin Room

Seat in shower wouldn't stay up! My husband would have liked a mirror over the bathroom basin

Spacious room ,very clean and very comfortable bed. Hair dryer was welcome It was very busy that evening but all the staff were friendly and helpful.

I had a function on the nite and enjoyed the greatness of...
    • Executive Double Room

I had a function on the nite and enjoyed the greatness of the staff who attended to us under Rees (hope i say the name correctly) was very good. unfortunately there was only one member of staff (girl) who was very rude.

pleasant and looked after by staff as we had just flown back from Australia , It was pleasing that
    • Double Room with Sofa Bed

There was updating works going on which hotel had made provision for and this didn't bother us in the slightest ., Well done to staff and forward planning here

Not to bad

The smell of new paint within the corridoors, how far the room was from the reception. We requested something for out room via Booking.com which was confirmed, to then get there and they said they dont have this info on the system!

The bed and pillows

Great value for money
    • Deluxe Room - Non-Smoking

Poor sound insulation in the room.

Great room with comfortable bed. Restaurant menu was limited but food was excellent. Great value for a room rate of £67. Within walking distance of the Madjeski Stadium.

3rd stay

Unfortunately the refurbishment meant that there was a strong smell of paint and they had forgotten to put sound buffers on the corridor door. Informed reception on leaving

It is a very well run hotel

Parking was available
    • Double or Twin Room

The shower was terrible. Although the bathrooms look as if they'd been renovated the shower was just a dribble And the room numbering perhaps should be changed you have to pass 400 to get to 200 and the corridors are all the same colour This would probably make me book another chain in the future

Parking was available

Thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

Food & drink more reasonably priced

Superb value for money although the food & drink was overpriced but when you pay £52 for a Saturday you shouldn’t really complain. Came for the Leeds v Reading game and the hospitality shown to a fair number of Leeds fans was superb.

Overall it was a great experience and we would stay in this Holiday Inn again.
    • Double Room with Sofa Bed

It wasn't a huge problem because we appreciate what new carpets can be like but I think it would have been nice to be made aware that the new carpets produced quite a lot of fluff. Maybe they could use a special vacuum cleaner to remove the fluff before guests stay as the fluff got on our clothes.

We were happily surprised to get a newly refurbished family room which had lots of space for us as a couple. The bed was really comfortable and it was very peaceful and relaxing in room 435. We also used the fitness area which was well equipped.

Overnight stay,lovely room in the refurbished area.

We decided not to eat in the restaurant in the evening didn't fancy anything off the menu and felt the prices were quite expensive.

Good breakfast choice,although the cooked food could have been slightly hotter,plates not warm enough either.

Adequate
    • Deluxe Room - Non-Smoking

The hotel is having renovation work done, I believe this is probably why our heating wasn't working although the lady at reception did try to get it going. The building work started at 7:45 am in the room next to us :( Their website might have mentioned the renovations but I didn't see anything when booking through the Booking.com app and a note about the restricted height parking would have been good but we did just managed to squeeze under.

Staff were friendly and helpful.

Considering that there was a 'Quiet Zone' sign in the corridor I was not at all impressed.

Unfortunately this hotel is charging the full amount for staying in a room that becomes part of a building site at 8.00 in the morning, when the sounds of very loud hammering and drilling start to come through the walls. When I complained at the desk they told me that there was nothing to be done and that this situation would continue until April.

The room was comfortable to stay in and very clean.

Good food, staff and location to RBus Park but struggling to manage the refurbishment works
    • Double Room with Sofa Bed

Smell of paint. Long way to room. Poor signage for new route to room - easy to get lost. Refurbishment works not secure (I ended up walking into the 'Construction site'. I made a 'complaint' to the Operations Manager.

Location - close to my office. Bed was comfy. Breakfast was good. Staff were good

An excellent stay with lovely facilities and welcoming staff. Wish we could have stayed longer!

Hot water tap in bathroom was not working.

Bedroom decent size with adequate heating! Bed very comfortable so had an excellent nights sleep! Reception staff made us feel very welcome and readily changed our room so that we were on the ground floor nearer to reception. Good selection at breakfast with staff readily preparing vegetarian options on request. the quality of the food at breakfast was excellent. The the closeness of the hotel to the venue we were visiting was an added bonus.

Location to place I was visiting
    • Deluxe Room - Non-Smoking

Air con / heating was broken for first 2 nights of stay. Shower didn’t work, only a dribble of water came out, had to use bath tap and cup to wash my hair every morning !! Wouldn’t stay here again!

Location to place I was visiting

A big let down !
    • Executive Double Room

Heaters didn't work ..after few phone calls had to get a portable heater in also shower didn't work .these two are basic things in hotel for comfort ..no one offered ant discount or seem to care ..for a hotel with big name your not taking any responsibility ..when you pay premium rate ..you expect at least the basics .when you can't reach your basics ..how can you charge someone anything ??

Open and spacious ..easy to locate

Cheap, clean, quiet and great overall

Bathroom is tiny. Shame as this was only poor feature.

Parking great, very Cheap, Bathroom a lot small but spotless which to us is ultra important. Very comfy bed. Quiet.

Great overnight stay

We were in a newly renovated room which was lovely. Really big bed which we loved. The staff were all very friendly and helpful too. Would recommend this place.

We stayed in a newly refurbished room which was lovely even...

We stayed in a newly refurbished room which was lovely even soft and hard pillows to choose from. Breakfast was fantastic as were the staff. Would definitely recommend or stay again.

Overall it was a good stay we will be staying there again very soon.9

Well the chef came out from the kitchen to ask us if we needed anything else this should have been the waiting staff and you had to get your own coffee in previous visits to this hotel a member of the waiting staff served you the coffee.

Breakfast was very good you had a good choice and well laid out.

Avoid or at least avoid the food!

In need of refurb! "Quiet" interupted to unreasonable hour by noisy guests. Terrible food which was grossly expensive. Not what I normally experience from this chain.

Absolutely nothing!

Peaceful nights sleep

It’s a bit of a maze!!

Given how close the hotel is to the town centre, it’s actually very quiet and peaceful. The staff are friendly and the beds are comfortable- perfect for a one night stay!

We had a very satisfactory stay on many levels but spoiled by lack of attention to customer needs.

We tried to ring reception in the evening at about 9.30pm to ask if there was a problem with the water because it was not hot enough for a bath. After about fifteen minutes of ringing all options on the key pad we did not get a reply from anyone and gave up. We then topped up the luke warm bath water with kettles of boiling water .. not a good option. What if there had been an emergency in the room? No help was out there by phone.

Breakfast was excellent and the staff could not have been more caring and helpful. The choice for breakfast was excellent and I was asked if I would like my egg poached which was not a listed option and in fact I did prefer it poached.

Oustanding - will stay there again

Height barrier at car park entrance needs to be opened manually for delivery vans, causing queuing onto the road for cars waiting to enter. This makes the entrance dangerous and needs reviewing

Extremely helpful staff. Disabled access room was really nice. Restaurant food very good.

Very pleasurable.

nothing to complain about

The staff were very helpful especially one lady who worked the night shift I believe her name was Sam a very special lady.Very helpful a pleasure to be around.

Good night but poor outdated hotel

Needed refurbishment and took us 20 mins just to find the room due to poor signage, then when we got in the room no tv remote control

Facilities were good and so was breakfast

Location, cleanliness very good

Restaurant/food could be better but staff so good/helpful

Location, cleanliness very good Room very comfortable especially the bed which is a plus in my book All staff were super friendly & helpful which makes a good hotel Food ok but not wonderful Would certainly return here though

Great value, room could do with a revamp, good facilities, friendly staff

Room (179) was a bit worn looking, bath took forever to run, pool area and changing rooms again a little worn

Good location, lovely dining, bar and reception area, big bed

The hotel heating system was totally dysfunctional and the...
    • Double Room with Sofa Bed

The hotel heating system was totally dysfunctional and the entire building was freezing. We had to ask to be moved because our air conditioning was broken but even then the corridors were extremely cold. The inner set of entrance doors were kept constantly open allowing any small amount of heat buildup to escape rapidly. The ‘OPEN PLAN’ restaurant meant that eating was a bitterly cold experience. When we complained to a member of the waiting staff she told my husband to put on some thermal pants. We will not stay here again. In addition the hotel rooms are both dated and dirty with a non functioning shower which served to soak the entire bathroom but could not be effectively used to wash my hair. There were broken tiles and woodwork throughout the hotel. AVOID

Easy to find. Just what we needed. Friendly. Lovely food. Not to far away from reading.

My bed was a little to soft for my liking

Staff very friendly and I was impressed with the age range of the staff. The place had a friendly atmosphere looked good. Christmas decorations were on point.

Was fine.

They charged me £66 instead of the £52 on my printout from you and as yet haven't refunded the difference! Wish the swimming pool opened a bit earlier than 8 o'clock.

Comfortable place to stay. Didn't eat so can't rate the restaurant.

Staff friendly and helpful and bar and restaurant pleasant.

Rooms a little tired and need updating. Bathrooms compact and rooms are small and rather busy could have less or smaller furniture.

Staff friendly and helpful and bar and restaurant pleasant. Bed very comfortable.

Great overnight stay

No complaints

A pleasant stay on our way back to London after touring around England & Wales. Our room was comfortable and well equipped. Staff were helpful with our enquiries. Our evening meal was very tasty & a good breakfast before we left. Staff in the dining area very friendly and obliging.

Had a better stay in my van

The bed wasn't comfortable 2 beds pushed together to make a big bed felt like i was going to slip through the middle. And for the price of £69 no breakfast. Stayed in another holiday in a lot cheaper with a breakfast that's why I chose to stay there this time. Wanted an extra £12 for breakfast won't be using the place again. I could of gone a little further into reading and had a better deal cheaper

Staff was pleasant and helpful from arrival to leaving

Not great at all!
    • Double Room with Sofa Bed

The night shift manager (Matt) was rude and couldn't apologize for keeping us waiting for long at the unattended reception when we arrived. The bath tub was leaking unto the bathroom/room floor. The hallways were littered with used room service trays and plates, waiting to be removed - these were there for 24hrs or more!

Room and bed were comfy. Gym and pool was okay. The jacuzzi was good too!

Disappointed
    • Executive Double Room

Unfortunately I found hair in the bathroom on arrival. There was mildew on the window stickers. There wasn’t enough lighting so very dull. No USB points. The bed was incredibly uncomfortable. The food was poor. Trays were left 24 hours in the hallway before I eventually called reception to ask them to sort it out. Breakfast requests left on the doors overnight weren’t collected so I had to call for room service which made me late for a meeting. I didn’t get what I ordered including no milk for tea. Housekeeping voicemail box was full i so couldn’t get in touch with them. For what I was paying I was seriously unimpressed

I didn’t like much about the property, the room was clean, the linen fresh, the bathroom bright and practical if small. Most of the staff were polite and helpful

Comfortable bed , good location for Madejski stadium.
    • Double Room with Sofa Bed

Check in took some time, though this was not the fault of the staff on duty. Due to renovation/decorating work the place was a mess. The hotel was like a rabbit warren and my room was difficult to find.

As I travelled to watch football, the close proximity of the Madejski stadium was good. The bed was also comfortable.

Ok - served it purpose.

Receptionist a bit stern, not very understanding because I thought breakfast was included in my booking. Otherwise all ok. Room a bit too hot - a lighter weight quilt maybe. Tired hotel but then it is getting on in years. I worked there nearly 30 years ago. As per the norm in the UK - most staff were foreign

Close proximity to motorway without the noise.

Convenient, clean and comfy hotel. Great for the Madejski

The restaurant was uncomfortably busy at 7:45 when we went to breakfast due to a coach party. This was not the hotel or staff's fault, but some of these people were very rude and spoiled our breakfast experience, meaning we ate less than normal, avoided toast and hot drinks and didn't get value for money on our breakfast. It wouldn't put us off staying again though

Very comfortable bed and the fact that there was a bathtub. I was really impressed that, as a room was ready, we were able to check in at 11:30am.