Reviews of Holiday Inn Southampton 4 stars

Herbert Walker Avenue, Southampton, SO15 1AG, United Kingdom

#20 of 31 hotels in Southampton

Fabulous
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Excellent location for the cruise port. Shops, pubs and restaurants within walking distance. Room was spotlessly clean and the staff were friendly and welcoming. Buffet style breakfast with lots of choice, full English and continental. Would definitely stay here again

Southhampton Holiday Inn - perfect for cruising!

Large amount of people checking out to catch a cruise. The front desk is small, two people working it and it so happens part of the system was down so only one person could check in/out.

The location was perfect for getting to cruise terminals.

Overall its good hotel and value for money.

Would have loved to have a king size bed as my husband is big and we could not fit well.Lifts too small and takes long to get in.

Area very good if you are cruising from Southampton 5 min walk to the terminal.Rooms big and clean.Very close to shops and restaurants.

Breakfast was chaotic, they knew it was a busy weekend with...

Breakfast was chaotic, they knew it was a busy weekend with the boat show and cruises departing so should have had extra staff on. Check out was so slow. Expensive for what you got.

The exterior of the building does not match the interior.

Only x2 lifts - they took ages.

The exterior of the building does not match the interior. From the outside the building looks tired and in need of attention - clearly the investment in this hotel to date has been on the interior. Check-in was quick and friendly, rooms modern and clean and breakfast was great. Would certainly use this hotel if I was using the ferry or was in Southampton again. Great pub just a 5 minute walk away - Duke of Wellington.

Never come back again.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The smell of the hotel corridors and room. Smells like some insecticide or bleach. Bathroom cleanliness doubtful. Lunch was bellow any expectations. We ordered fish and chips and Caesar salad. Fish was very small and the batter quite oily; the tartar sauce was actually a mayonnaise-garlic sauce, thin and doubtful . The salad itself was a simple iceberg salad with plain croutons . The anchovies in the Caesar salad were missing. When we asked for anchovies they came with a sort of sardines marinated in vinegar. Disgusting.

Restaurant ambiance Comfy beds

Good value

I personally don't like the soap and shampoo dispensers in the bathroom and shower.. I prefer an old school bar of soap please ! The building itself showing a few signs of age..

Parking was easy and reasonable value. The hotel location was very good for my purpose - access to the old town centre within a short walk. The check in was fast and the reception staff were friendly. The room was a decent size, the bed was pretty good. Excellent and plentiful breakfast. Checkout fast and smooth. The TV operated as a normal TV - none of that mucking around with a needless and annoying in house system.

Very disappointing
    • Executive Room

Ordered evening meal and we waited over an hour it did not arrive so left and went to the grand harbour and were served within ten minutes very disappointed with the service and reported it to reception

Our stay is always first class no conplaints, we look forward to our next visit in May

n/a

We always stay at the Holiday Inn the day before our cruise and always ask for room 602, we enjoy our stay at the hotel. thank you to all the staff

• Reviewed: 31 August 2018

Lovely stay just a sad ending

Not so much about not liking the hotel, but my daughter left her blankie from birth in the room and it wasnt found i would give anything to have it back she cries to sleep without it.

The location was perfect, the kids loved the swimming pool.

• Reviewed: 31 August 2018

Relaxing stay, disappointed with service.

The restaurant we waited too long for drinks and food. We ordered food but waited so long that we left and went for dinner else where.

The room was comfortable and modern. The bed was comfortable.

I had booked by mistake room only £74 once I had realised I tried to change booking to B and B at £84 as still being advertised. I emailed the hotel only to get a reply saying breakfast for me and my 7yr old would be £18. Thanks for that, a bowl of cereal for my son and a breakfast for me £18. I took him to Frankie and Bennys 300 yards up the road and had the same for less than £10. Car parking on site was £10 - £12.50 for 24hrs I downloaded the “ just park” ap and parked literally across the road for £3:50 for 24hrs. On checking out had to wait a long time. Only one member of staff checking lots of people out at 10 o’clock on a bank holiday Monday morning. She was apologetic and nice though. Shame about the above cause it is a nice hotel for the value and great location.

Fantastic location, clean rooms and good value for money.

Great location for the night before your cruise.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

We requested rooms as far away from the lifts as possible, but we were in the rooms next to the lift. No showstopper.

Excellent location for a night before your cruise, and easy walk to the shopping centre and eateries. The staff at the hotel were very pleasant, courteous and helpful. Assisted with booking transfer to cruise terminal, and is well set up for passenger transfers.

Dr

Actually, there has been a problem where they have lost my file and I couldn't check out, till now I have not received the receipt. They took my visa card details and apparently they tried every day to take another payment while the payment is hold.

Great location; large, comfortable rooms, excellent breakfast buffet.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

I don't really have anything negative to say about this hotel.

The room had air conditioning, which felt wonderful in the middle of England's heat wave. The room was large, bright and very comfortable. The breakfast buffet was excellent. The hotel is located near the old city walls and at a short distance from a major commercial shopping centre. It is also located near the cruise ship docks. There are very good restaurants nearby, on the other side of the city walls.

Staff were very helpful and friendly, even though it was a...

No fridge in room.

Staff were very helpful and friendly, even though it was a busy time. Room was clean and comfortable with a nice outlook. Location extremely handy for port and West Quay shopping.

Good for short stay

Small size bed in twin room,noisy house keepers in the corridors,reception never answer your call you have to go down for single simple thing, laundry must be handed in the reception You can listen to your nightmares in the other room very clearly

Cleanliness ,new bright room,location

Excellent location, super clean and comfortable.
    • Double Room with View

Very expensive and no breakfast included option , car parking not included

Excellent location, super clean and comfortable. Hotel staff great. We were using it as pit stop before a cruise so fantastic view of ships and port. Food great.

Horrific
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Beds could have been changed The lady on reception needed some customer service training

Staff were very rude! Ladies bodily fluids all over the bed. Would definitely not reuse!

Good stay comfortable beds.

The room was very small but efficient, would of liked a bigger room for the price we paid.

How close it was to the cruise port, shopping and restaurants.

Excellent choice of hotel for our stay:)

Outside of building needs repainted.

Excellent location for staying before boarding the cruise ship (ship docked almost outside our window!)Clean comfortable room. Easy to find location-good signage. Nice breakfast. Good value for money.

Great overnight stop. Easy to find. Lovely views and central loaction

Hard to fault

Really smart hotel with great view across the water. Rooms well maintained and staff very friendly. Great breakfast and a 5 min walk from the West Quay shops and cinema + Ikea

Comfortable

The price !!!! Especially when I can come in a couple of months for£95,and a couple we met booked up a few days before the W/e and stayed across the road in the Grand for £55

The best breakfast ever in a B&B and location and view from the room

Very pleased with the overall experience

Breakfast could be better for value. Rather expensive if one doesn't want a full breakfast

We went on a cruise with Cunard, so the location couldn't be better. If one decides not to eat at the Hotel, then The Dancing Man was extremely good, especially the steaks!

Great value - amazing service

Nothing. It was all great

The room was clean, bright and airy with good views over the port. The evening meal and breakfast were both tasty and good value. The staff were amazing and the position perfect for our cruise the following day

Excellent choice and we will return!

Restaurant service at Dinner was slow, sometimes very slow - staff shortages seemed to be the problem. Breakfast service was great as lots more staff!

Staff were friendly & helpful. Room excellent - lovely comfy bed! So glad we chose this Hotel - would use again. We liked the fact that some staff were "retirees" - so experienced and helpful!

Always stayed here and always will,so easy for our cruise.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Trouble began in the dining room which was packed.One poor girl seemed to be doing everything so there was no greeting at the desk to show us which table to go to.The food was ok but then muddled up on the bill.She was too stressed and we had to take our receipt to the reception to sort out.They were busy booking people in and the lady was waiting for her shift to end.Eventually we all had to go over and after going back to dining room they bought our bill up on their screen for us to check.This was easy half hour wasted.

The rooms were fine and clean.

Adequate for vist - £156 really poor & £10 parking - no return vist
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The price of the room £156 for one night with no breakfast - very poor Asked for double bed - got a twin not particularly comfortable - hard bed No biscuits with tea/coffee in room Plus £10 parking ??

The locality was close the venue st Mary's stadium

Great Hotel, Great Location!

Nothing all good!

Very close to town and Gate 4 on the docks for the cruise ships, and next to the Isle of Wight ferry! Lovely friendly staff, nice rooms very clean, and great location

Short stay Peppa Pig world

Stayed for one night, while visiting Peppa Pig world. The room was newly refurbished and very clean. The breakfast was of good quality and a pool was bonus.

I did not expect it to be newly renovated and the room was...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Generally everything and while I scored everything a 10, the breakfast would have been a 9.

I did not expect it to be newly renovated and the room was lovely. It was great watching the ships come in in the morning.

did what it needed to do
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

I mentioned to the receptionist that a welcome smile is usually expected when checking in. We were not told what time breakfast was served. Difficult to find any information in the room, I found out afterwards that there is a directory on the TV, however we could not find this on the TV in our room Breakfast food was left out quite a long time so a lot of what was available was dry Beds could be bigger, most hotels offer larger than standard double beds Quite a big gap under the bedroom door which let a lot of light in during the night Curtains could be heavier to block out the light during the night and early morning Other doors on the same floor close quite loudly

Breakfast was varied, staff pleasant and area comfortable and bright Room a nice size comfortable

This is the second time I have stayed at the holiday inn...

This is the second time I have stayed at the holiday inn before a cruise and both times I have found everything excellent. From the moment we arrived to the moment we left. Rooms clean and staff are excellent, especially Ruth at breakfast time helpful and very friendly. Nice to see a smiley face first thing in the morning. Only one negative, we wanted to book again with some friends before our cruise in July, but the price has doubled. I did ring to see if they did loyalty discount but didn't get very far.

a shame i had to add a few moans as the hotel was really nice, staff were excellent.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

ok here goes. massively understaffed. the poor things were running round like mad. the bar and the restaurant was lovely but slow service. also we had brunch and dinner and both meals came without items ordered. breakfast the following morning was much more organised and the food was fab.. the lifts were a nightmare, I waited 20mins to be able to get down for breakfast as there was no room for my scooter along with other guests, in the end my wife had to "hijack" one and bring it to our floor. the remote for the tv didn't work, my wife was asleep when I finished watching tv but I had to wake her to turn it off as my disability means I cannot walk. little things but the hotel needs to tweak them.

being disabled the room/ bathroom was superb.

Good, it was a place to stay while we were busy with family in Southampton

The lifts are old, small and slow, maybe they need refurbishing next. We were completely ignored by a young member of staff at the bar, even after us asking for her assistance. She had a task to do and was not going to serve us or acknowledge our very existence. We ended up walking away and going elsewhere for a drink Luckily the rest of the staff were friendly and helpful

The rooms are newly refurbished, even smelt of fresh paint. Clean and modern

the Housekeeper lady is kind enough to find me a bedroom...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

I asked for an invoice upon checking out but was told they cant issue me a copy when its paid via booking.com?? Now that I've checked my CC statement, I was billed by the hotel directly. which means I have to write to the hotel for statement/invoice..

the Housekeeper lady is kind enough to find me a bedroom slipper.

Basic hotel.. good enough for short stay.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Dirt on windowsills in my room it had gathered in the corners. They were white framed so it was very obvious. Shame as the room was refurbished and looked fresh and pleasant. Bathroom very small. Leisure facility not worth visiting.

Listened when I asked for quiet room. Provided toiletries I had forgotten very quickly. Great car park with plenty of room. Close to shopping centre, restaurants and cinemas etc... Bed was very comfortable and very well made. Slept well.

Met most of my expectations for a short stay

Room cooler than expected. There seems to be some issues on the buildings ability to cope with changes of weather. Reception staff responsive by offering a portable heater if required. Hotel gym well equipped for travellers. Down side, if you're not a regular user of gym's you may not be aware of etiquette to wipe down equipment after use, having to do this myself prior to using kit. Plenty of wipes available but no signs to encourage use. When mentioned to gym reception staff on leaving response was "we know what you mean", not what I expected. If you are aware of an issue it should be addressed!

Staff friendly and helpful, good choice at breakfast buffet

Poor stay compared to previous occasions

Cost of snacks, wardrobe space inadequate hanging for trousers

Improvements did not meet expectations.car park charges over the top having to pay extra to normal rates for cruise PKG!

We had a lovely stay at this accommodation and will deffinately return.

The bathroom was quite twee but it was satisfactory. The only thing I could comment on was the wardrobe space, it needed to have a longer space between the hangers and the first shelf.

We went to Southampton for a family wedding, the location was brilliant, we watched the ships come and go, that is a novelty for us. The food was nice but there wasn't a lot of it. There were a lot of easy chairs to relax on whilst planning what to do next. It was lovely and quiet, the beds were comfy.

Neither good neither bad
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

All I could smell was fresh paint. We needed an HDMI cable for couple of hours. This hotel has a conference room for meetings and they said that they don't have an HDMI cable. Without even checking. We were told that pool schedule is till 22. When we got there at 20:30 they said it's till 21 and we can't enter anymore. So we were not able to benefit from the pool or jacuzzi and that was a reason why we choose this hotel.

Location was nice and hotel was clean

Outstanding customer service at this friendly, welcoming hotel.

Nothing to dislike, although the dinner and breakfast menus didn't appeal to us but the hotel is so close to more exciting eateries that it didn't matter. All within walking distance.

The room was very comfortable, with plenty of space to store luggage. Quiet, excellent TV, complimentary toiletries offered such as toothbrush, sewing kit, sanitary items etc if required. Complimentary newspapers, and best of all we asked on the day of departure if we could have a late checkout and were given one until 1.30pm, also complimentary! We were extremely impressed.

Will definitely return, may take a cruise from this hotel as it is so convenient !
    • Executive Room

Wasn't at all impressed with the all day/room service menu, but the breakfast was good.

Loved the views of the dock watching the ferries and liners from the top floor. Great spot if you're going on a cruise or shopping in Castlepoint shopping centre ! Staff very helpful and friendly.

nice location for a holet for west quay shopping or going on a cruise.

as above

The heating in the room 616 was not very good and the staff did not resole the issue however they did take 15 % off the bill, but I wouls have perfered the room warmer than has money refunded. the food was good

Staff good, interconnecting room was excellent.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Check in delayed arrived 1:45, check in was for 2pm, not allowed to check in til 2:45, a bit annoying.

Staff good, interconnecting room was excellent.

If the food had been reliable and no noise it would have been excellent.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

A group of young rugby players is always going to be trouble. They were controlled in the end but only after they had disturbed the rest of us and I threatened not to pay. Guests do not need that.

The evening meal was very good on the first night (vegetarian special) but dreadful the next night (just fish and chips!). Good pool and sauna. OK gym but kept too cold.

Plain basic but very good hotel
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Bathroom had no towel rails to put the towels on. There was a message that said to put towels on the rails if you are hoing to use again. But no rsoks to put them on!

Very friendly and helpful staff. And it is situated in the right place near cruise terminsl plus walking distance of westquay shopping centre and the msin street

Overall was nice stay but lack IHG benefits and charge for parking spoilt stay.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

I am IHG member but did not get points or best prices as booked through bookings.com yet when booking through work agency I did! Not happy. Parking, thought it was bad that parking was separate charge, even for the initial night, was not leaving car there, though this was very bad. Beds too soft.

I was meeting friends at cruise terminal and location was excellent, shame close proximity did not come out clear in advert. Breakfast and meals good

Loud and very little sleep

No one told us that we would have to pay for parking and then tried to charge us £30 on check out which the receptionist finally managed to take off the bill. There was building work going on the whole time we were there. No one made us aware that this was going to happen. We was away for a function and was getting back at around 4-5am to be woken up at 8/8:30 by the super loud building work. You should keep surrounding rooms empty and I would suggest better soundproofing

Bed was comfy

Decent hotel with recent refurbishment.

Next door having a party til 4 in morning when we had to be up pretty early! Staff came to sort it, but we’d already been woken a few times. Not hotels fault, but a reflection on our stay

our second stay at holiday inn southampton which we both enjoyed. good value for money.

wardrobe design could be improved. hanging portion not big enough for clothes to hang properly. no hanger facility in longer wardrobe recess. no hair dryer but received one on request. appreciate hotel was still in process of refurbishment so these were very minor observations.

excellent location, suited us perfectly. staff very helpful and friendly. food very good.

Lovely one night stay in an executive double.
    • Double Room with View

The shower was a bit too powerful.. in that it sprayed over the edge for the shower tray and soaked the bathroom door, which was starting to look rather the worse for wear in the bottom corner, and had started to jam as a result.

Great location, tidy rooms, and a nice powerful shower. Great staff too. After a slight mixup, where the room we were given was made up as a twin room instead of a double, we were given a different room immediately, no hassle whatsoever.

Another lovely stay
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Nothing we love staying here

Easy check in too start with,we had yummy food served by lovely staff both at breakfast and dinner.bar and breakfast/dinner staff couldn't be more lovely and helpful thank you for a great birthday stay weekend.

always friendly helpful staff.

there was problem with the heating due to the refurbishment. However, staff were very attentive and supplied me with a very efficient heater so I didn't suffer from the cold.

always friendly helpful staff. New rooms are very nice with lovely big showers.

Very disappointing, would have expected better of Holiday Inns.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Food was of a poor quality in the evening although breakfast was o.k. As above, no heating in room.

NO heating /air conditioning operating in our room. Had to ask for a radiator ( which was hardly big enough ). Why didn't they move us to another room ? The hotel was hardly full. Ate in the restaurant in the evening, not an experience I would care to repeat.

The staff are very helpful and welcome you with a great big...

The staff are very helpful and welcome you with a great big smile. We had breakfast included in our booking and find the choice of items excellent and enough to ensure you do not leave the hotel hungry. Always use this h

Convenient and good value
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Room on 1st floor directly above a function - couldn't sleep until after 1am.

Excellent location, good sized room and en-suite, very comfortable bed

A very poor example of the Holiday Inngroup

Very old bathroom and room decor

The hotel is seriously outdated. The rooms decor is very old and needs serious upgrading. On checking in we informed staff that the room smelt damp and lo and behold another identical room with the same problem was offered.

it will be good when renovation is complete but not at the moment
    • Executive Room

there is a lot of renovation going on, making it not comfortable at all and i think they should charge less than they are at the moment.

location is good

It was okay but got price would have expected bettet

I had communication with hotel to upgrade and they failed to supply. I had to complain to reception staff and the manager got involved. Luckily I had the email with agreed upgrade. Very lucky they had an extra room.

Very local to were I needed to be.

Unfortunately I will not return again.
    • Executive Double Room

The staff in the dining room were not friendly, only the mature lady who was very welcoming, not a Good Morning or a smile, needs staff training, young staff walk past leave table with dirty plates, the service was very poor, noticed by others as well, walk past a table with dirty dishes pick up its so easy, Breakfast was not hot. Also Christmas parties both nights , music playing loud until gone midnight, then at 1.15 moving furniture about in dining room, I rang and complained, it still went in for another 30 mins, so sleep on Saturday night not good at all, even when I complained not a sorry nothing.

I liked where it was, but from 3 years ago when I stayed it’s very tired, the first room had stains on the carpet, and chipped paintwork as it was executive I expected more, to be fair I asked to move and the next day was too a room with a bath in.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Not enough toiletries had to ask for more as we did with coffee etc There was no mention when booking that the hotel was being refurbished, room was disappointing however view was excellent. The swimming pool was not actually inside the hotel but across the car park which should have been mentioned . For another £10 we could have got a far more superior hotel The staff however were excellent but I wouldn't use that particular Holiday Inn again

Food was lovely & reception area was good

Great Breakfast, Great Staff, Great Location, Hotel in need of modernisation but price is spot on
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Hotel is a little faded at present (Nov 2017) but looks as if it is in the process of being updated.

Great Breakfast, Great Location, very easy for meetings in Southampton. Staff were very helpful and friendly.

Horrendous room service food.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

We ordered room service. Both got 'chicken' burgers that were totally inedible. We could both only manage one bite each. Fries were also cold. For the price, it was absolutley ridiculous. Told staff at reception but they still took the money from us with not even an apology.

The Location was good.

How not to keep a hotel open when being refurbished.

Very noisy due to work being undertaken. Lifts were out of order and when one was eventually working, this was either used by chambermaids or workmen.

Near centre of city

great for an overnight stay when joining a cruise ship.

Was fine for this trip. Food quite pricey if staying and eating breakfast/lunch or dinner at hotel. Lots of good value places to eat in Southampton and close by.

Easy walk into town and easy walk to cruise terminal.

Nice happy staff. Restful
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Sort out heating( did give extra blankets and a heater) The lifts both out of order. (Ok for us to keep us fit.)

Being put on the 3rd floor which the room had just had a refurb

Very nice, clean room. Very pleasant staff and relaxing environment.

Having one lift out of action due to improvements is fine but we weren’t told there were stairs, or where they were. It was not obvious and took us till our departure to discover them.

Very comfortable room. Staff very pleasant. Very quiet especially considering our room was next to the lift.

Hotel is fine for a one night stay.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Rooms need updating. Booking was for twin room as specifically advised and on confirmation. Not assigned although the hotel sorted it out. We were advised this was down to Booking. com and not the hotel.

Hotel is fine for a one night stay.

Wonderful way to start our cruise

The staff were super helpful and we had room service for our evening meal which was very very nice. Breakfast was superb and cannot be faulted I asked for a soft poached egg which was no trouble and received 2. We always pick holiday in as it is close to the terminal for the cruise ship and we have never been let down by then .

t was convenient to the cruise ship and was able to walk to the ship.

Elevators are too small and outdated. And there should be more elevators. The toilet only worked sometimes. It had to be flushed many times to work properly.

Fantastic start to our cruise.

Nothing. It was great

The general ambience and quality. The staff were amazing, very helpful, cheery and polite. Perfect location for joining our cruise.

Excellent care nothing was to much !
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

So very kind and helpful

Fantastic stay when we arrived back from cruise at 8am they allowed us to safely leave bags no problem! Also allowed me to ring a taxi to the airport 10/10 !

I enjoyed it
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The bed was that comfy I didn't make it to breakfast. But I would definitely stay again. So.. the hotel is in a very good location 2 minutes walk into town.. and the room was really comfy and clean.

poor value £203 for a night compared to £34 the night before. Others got a better deal
    • Double Room - Disability Access

The hotel was musty and poor value for money compared to our premier inn the previous night. Others got a better deal but we seemed penalised because we had to book an accessible room in advance.