Reviews of Holiday Inn Stevenage 4 stars

St. Georges Way, Stevenage, SG1 1HS, United Kingdom

#10 of 15 hotels in Stevenage

Comfortable bed, decent sized TV
    • Double Room with Shower

Walk-in shower lining was broken and unisghtly, shower floods the whole of the bathroom and even started going through to the bedroom area. When I informed the reception manager she said "that's because it's a walk-in shower" which doesn't seem to be a good reason for it flooding. Hotel parking isn't free

Comfortable bed, decent sized TV

Pretty much central to where we wanted to go on our family...
    • Standard Room

It was clean and welcoming. Our room was large clean and tidy and our room was opposite a gym.

Pretty much central to where we wanted to go on our family visitation.

best place to stay if you travel on business
    • Standard Room

The reception didn't give me my wake up call the first day !

Very comfy , clean room , lovely breakfast. The hotel restaurant is really brilliant! The location is good , just a walk from the train station, and very near to the town centre for shopping!

Nice Hotel, Good Standards but wouldn't recommend walking to it from Stevenage Train Station
    • Standard Room

Reception check in was not the best experience and was slow, plus I was not given the IHG member welcome once I was identified as a member, neither were my points added for my stay. Location is close to the local train station in Stevenage but I would not recommend walking it to and from the station, as hotel is on a very busy duel carriage way with no convenient means to cross.

Great continental breakfast options with smoked salmon, hams and yoghurt and fruit breakfast pots - great presentation and good standard and very friendly and helpful chef who was constantly replenishing items

• Double Room with Shower

Room AC didnt work from my arrival. I reported it and was told it was reset at the panel in reception and that it takes 20 minutes to activate due to green hotel and energy saving... I reported again early morning and again told it was reset but to no avail...

The area was lovley
    • Executive Double Room

Room was not clean Hair dryer didn't work Was disturbed in the morning with cleaners coming in when we were still in bed.

The area was lovley Staff were very nice

• Reviewed: 27 July 2018

Room size and the accessories inside the room
    • Standard Room

I asked for electrical adapter and the counter representative offered to sell me one for 5 pounds which I consider a very high price. In other hotels I visited they let me use one for free.

Room size and the accessories inside the room

Staff were polite and hotel was very clean.

We had to change rooms due to a leak. Second room was nowhere near as nice as first room. Very disappointed.

Staff were polite and hotel was very clean.

I loved the extensive choice of foods at breakfast
    • Standard Room

Pillows were a too hard for me Would have liked to have had instructions on how to use the air conditioning as I've never used it before and as we are having this extremely hot spell it would have been nice to have been cooler at night

I loved the extensive choice of foods at breakfast The hotel was immaculately clean Amenities in the bedroom were excellent

Definitely not 4 star. Would not recommend this chain to others.
    • Standard Room

Room wasn't ready on arrival although given a key. Luckily the maid was next door so we had to ask her to clean the room. She told us to come back in 30mibs.. Room smelt damp. There were stains on the bed frame. Breakfast was of a poor standard.. mushrooms were shriveled, toaster took ages to toast we had to put through twice and still wasn't toasted. If I had to pay the full price for the breakfast I would have asked for a refund.

I would never go back to the hotel again
    • Double Room with Shower

The staff in the restaurant for breakfast were not very happy and made you feel very uncomfortable.

Bathroom with only a half of a toilet roll not that clean. Needed a new bed as you rolled in the middle.

Was nice but some staff need better manners.

The restaurant staff's manners. Went in there and was told there's no point we won't get anything as they're too busy and too full. Both me and my partner weren't happy about this so we went into the bar instead where it took a while to even get acknowledged never mind served. In the end we decided to go elsewhere for food and drink. There was a bit of an issue with towels but that was fixed within 10 minutes.

The room was delightful, very clean and spacious.

Hotel was acceptable they should advertise the £10 parking fee at time of booking

We arrived earlier than the 2pm check in and could not get into our rooms which is fair enough, some of our party stayed at eh hotel whilst the rest of us went of to a family wedding, the others were evening guests, they were finally allowed into the rooms at 4pm after I called and complained, the reception staff were very rude and unhelpful and would not offer any explanation as to the delay

Breakfast was very nice

Would not stay at holiday inn again. Have stayed in better hotels forsame costs
    • Double Room with Shower

Parking costs. £10 to park and no guarenteed place if you keft the car park and on returning there were no spaces left. Room was snall

Bed and breakfast

Good for a short stay.
    • Standard Room

Corridors were smelly most likely because of the moquette. Not possible to keep window open in the evening/night because of AC engines right under the window, problem common to all rooms on that side of the hotel.

Helpful and efficient staff at the reception. Spacious room.

Good but for the parking
    • Standard Room

Parking is terrible and had to pay £10 for the privilege. Staff at the desk were not as friendly or helpful as you might expect

Fair price, clean. Loved the rooms and location was good

Comfortable stay with a good breakfast

Don't get a room on 3rd or 4th floor over the heating mechanism of the hotel . continuous low droning noise ,so impossible to sleep . Like a form of low torture .We had to ask to change rooms ,which proved difficult as the hotel was full. Eventually got put on the 6th floors presumably someone else was sent mad by the noise.

very good breakfast

adequate and it was 1 night so could put up with

Reception person could of been more friendly quite abrupt attitude not rude but if you are the face of hotel could be more welcoming. Car parking was an issue and the charge of £10.00 i thought was bad especially as we did not have a parking bay and just parked by a wall as no where else to go.

Breakfast good and good choice

Very enjoyable, thank you to all of your staff from the Holden families.
    • Double Room with Shower

The parking I thought was a little dear in comparison to the accommodation, apart from that it was perfect

Everything met our needs and at a good price

Dissapointed with the room and staff.I will not be booking one of your hotels again.
    • Double Room with Shower

Bathroom was tatty and dirty.A hole in the floor,rust on the shelves mould on the grouting and bath surround and cupboards the wood? was chipped and warped. despite paying £10 per night for an allocated parking space on returning to the hotel on our second night none were available so had to park in a public car park. asked to see manager but they never arrived.

Holiday Inn Stevenage

Mattress hard. Pillows uncomfortable. Room looking in need of updating. Entry cards kept deactivating when we try to enter the room and had to keep going back to reception to reactivate. Not good when your on the 5th floor.

Location was good. Room was spacious

That taught me a lesson!
    • Standard Room

Thought the reception staff were very abrupt. I waited 25 mins stood at reception to check in. One person on duty and very slow. Noise from kitchen extraction very loud, I called reception and they said it would go off at 11pm but had to go down and demand they switch it off at 12.15. £10/night to park my car... I should have slept in that!

Not that much

Comfortable bed but not worth the £10.00 parking fee.

The mildew on the tiles over the bathtub and in the corners was disgusting! The front of the shower tap was missing. Bath plug was placed on the corner of the tub which did not hide that corners mildew! Shower curtain was not wide enough to go across the tub. Wallpaper was peeling from above the headboard. Could not turn the heating down. Despite paying £10 for a parking space there were none available when we returned that evening!

Room was big, bed was comfortable.

Comfortable rooms, all very clean.

Didn't have a TV remote during my stay so couldn't use the TV. reported this to reception 3 times and all staff were pleasant and said they would get it sorted, but it never Happened. Mentioned at check out time, thought they might offer a discount but no.

Comfortable rooms, all very clean. Nice firm bed, plenty of storage space

If the morning staff and breakfast hadn't redeemed the situation I would have given a much poorer sc
    • Double Room with Shower

The receptionist on arrival was rude and unhelpful, kept saying we didn't have a reservation when I had a printed out confirmation. When finally located our room, no apology and keys put on the desk with no indication to us where to find our room! In our room when trying to turn the bedside light on it was sparking and clearly not safe to use! Told restaurant was open until 9.30, 9.15 and it had closed. Bar menu had no allergy information on it (gluten free) after asking 3 members of staff, who had poor English so didn't understand I was finally given an allergy sheet and basically all I was offered was a bowl of chips, or gluten free sandwich, after a long journey this is not what you want.

Good breakfast, lots of choice and menu very well labelled for allergy requirements i.e. Gluten Free

• Executive Double Room

Wasn't very clean, bathroom needs more attention and shower head needs replaced. Parking is a joke, booked executive room because of the allocated parking space.. only to be told that their policy has changed and they now charge £10 a night to park at the hotel which isn't made clear online. Bed very uncomfortable. Won't be staying again!

Room nice , internet appalling
    • Double Room with Shower

I was very disappointed with the poor quality internet . Appalling in this day and age to have such a poor set up. Also extortionate daily rates compared to third party websites. Go figure!

Didn’t like that you charge more to stay there directly or as a returning/ repeat customer and it is considerably cheaper to book on line via a third party website .

A poor end to a great stay.
    • Standard Room

The coachload of man city fans in the next room who shouted all night about going to WEMBLEY. Banging on the door shouting for "dad.let us in"

Central location. Clean facilities.Value for money

served a purpose but would not return
    • Standard Room

Heating in main areas terrible.4 Lights out in bed room and shower base broken.i did tell reception 1st day. Fighting outside bedroom late one night.

Staff made an effort, bar man tried, but not very skilled,manager good and helpful. DINNER excellent and a good breakfast.

60pc ok
    • Standard Room

Cold dinner and dirty delf left on table we had to clear to have room to eat thought we were washing up also staff need to be retrained I think on the basics of proper waiting on guests

Good stay!
    • Standard Room

My room was not very big and same for the gym but anyway complete.

The hotel is less than 5mins walk from the station; the staff is very nice and the structure as well!

Doint think I would go back their any time soon
    • Standard Room

Staff not plesent not very helpful Heating did not work shower was block door keys were a night mare the phones on the floors not working breakfast no heating very cold did not even get an invoice

Location was good

Hotel was ok for what was needed but parking was a rip off as just payed for stay!
    • Double Room with Shower

Parking was one of the reasons i picked this hotel as in a large van wotking away. When i booked in i was told i had to pay £10 todo so. Was not very happy with this as just payed for two room. This was not clear online!!

Bed uncomfortable shower didn’t run away so only one of us could shower in the morning, we then went and stayed in the premier inn and it was a vast improvement so will be staying in premier in from now on

Overall ok but bed and parking not good
    • Double Room with Shower

The bed was far to hard for us The car parking was not good we had to walk underpass to the other side of road to park which is not good for my wife that struggles to walk. It would put us off staying there again.

The staff were really friendly The breakfast was excellent The cleanliness was good

A number of small issues that added up to a disappointing overall stay
    • Standard Room

Hotel not having us all on their system under the correct names, not having certain drinks in the bar [no brandy, no vodka, no malibu]. Room service was very poor, reception thought it was funny we had to wait for 40 mins on the phone then to be cut off, reception then decided they would take our order once she realized we were not impressed. We did not like being advised it was £10 per 24 hrs to park in the hotel grounds. At check out one of our party was told she hadnt paid for certain items, latte coffees....she then proved she had with receipts. Nont much in way of an apology. All done in close earshot of other departing guest in stead of moving to a more private spot.

Price, location, great rooms, great food some staff.

Location was good but then I picked a hotel near to where I...

The bed was so uncomfortable and added to the shocking rumble of generators etc outside meant I had the worst sleep I’ve had in a hotel. The mattress was like sleeping on concrete, no give to it at all. Was not impressed with the lighting in the room, really made it tough to do any work ahead of my meeting (see the photos for the desk lamp wiring).

Location was good but then I picked a hotel near to where I needed to be.

Right next to Stevenage, great breakfast, clean and modern...
    • Standard Room

Multiple occurences with staff that did not speak English very well. Rooms are a bit small, tv is small and outdated.

Right next to Stevenage, great breakfast, clean and modern bathrooms.

As above

The reception staff very pleasant. The bar staff pleasant. Hotel clean & warm. Beds & pillows very comfortable. Hot water fresh towels. No complaints. I would go back.

The lighting in the room was a little dull, but lovely clean...
    • Standard Room

The lighting in the room was a little dull, but lovely clean and comfortable room! The majority of the staff were friendly except one of the receptionists on the Sunday when we were leaving! Didn’t seem very happy! Night manager was amazing though! The one downside was the parking charge, we booked the hotel to save money on taxis only to turn up and find out they wanted £10 to park in their car park or £3.70 to park across a dual carriageway! Never had to pay for a hote car park before! Little disappointing really after paying £51 for our room!

The noise!
    • Standard Room

The noise! Stuck above the conference rooms and there was a party: it went on quite late with loud music playing which kept me awake: no warning whatsoever!!

Couldn’t retrieve my Bigg points because I booked through...
    • Executive Double Room

Couldn’t retrieve my Bigg points because I booked through you and not the hotel directly. My breakfast didn’t arrive. My glass of wine took 25 minutes to arrive. Blood on the sheets!

Rooms are nice, some staff lovely some couldn't care less.
    • Standard Room

The Burger in the main restaurant for £12.00 ish is a total disgrace. You can buy a better quality box of 4 in Iceland for £1.50. Would never eat there again after that.

Both nights the Becks in the bar was out of order and the other larger extremely warm and running high. On the last night I was told the hotel was completely out of bottled water (which is a disgrace) however on check out the next morning there were bottles in the fridge. Staff on the night should have checked a little better and check out lady really couldn't care that I had been told there were none available.

woke up at 4am to armed police storming the hotel and our...
    • Deluxe Double Room

woke up at 4am to armed police storming the hotel and our floor. Drug dealers were operating from the hotel from two rooms next to us and there was no apology from the staff or explanation - no refund anything offered

It was adequate for what we needed.
    • Standard Room

Receptionist could have been more polite. Around 3am people within Hotel talking in corridor and opening and closing doors. We felt parking should be part of price. Breakfast price was ridiculously high.

Easy to book online.

I had a lovely stay and would recommend to my friends and family.
    • Double Room with Shower

The staff were very efficient but the three staff members I encountered none smiled or were warm in their approach.

The room was presently very well. The breakfast was really tasty. Worth the money.

Lovely accommodation and generally helpful staff. Some issues due to miscommunication with 3 staff .
    • Double Room with Shower

Abrupt and discourteous desk staff on checkout considering that we were staying due to a sudden and devastating bereavement which I told him about. L

Complimentary voucher for welcome drink and parking.

Was very upset with our 1st nite as there was a soul evening...
    • Double Room with Shower

Was very upset with our 1st nite as there was a soul evening going on which we were not told about, asked for management to contact me regarding my issues but still not heard anything from them at all! Very unhappy!

Poorly managed.
    • Double Room with Shower

An entertainment event had been booked at the hotel 2 weeks prior to our stay, which we were not informed about. On the evening that our family arrived for a wedding (at a different venue in the area) our hotel was taken over by an over 30's Soul Night DJ music event, spread over two floors of the hotel.. the two floors were the ground floor and 1st floor, which happened to take up the only available open spaces for ALL hotel guests to gather in for drinks and conversation. The hotel was full of over zealous security staff (staffing the DJ night) who moved us on from the different communal areas of the hotel in order to make way for the party goers at the DJ night. We did not feel like valued guests at this hotel.

Staff did their best but management of this hotel is poor.

Very comfortable
    • Standard Room

Electronic key wouldn't work so i had to get the receptionist to open the door everytime I wanted to get in.

Rooms are really modern. Nice comfy bed..

A very nice hotel in a excellent location. would go again no problem.

Food could be a few quid cheaper. Table lamp in the room had a broken on/off switch, it was pushed right into the base of the lamp and left a small hole big enough for a child to insert their finger into the wiring inside! I did report it to the reception.

Bed really comfortable and staff very helpful. Bar very nice with a good menu and very tasty bar snack.

Poor Staff. Don't bother.

Disinterested staff throughout my visit. I felt processed instead of welcomed when I arrived, I found the service in the restaurant awful and the prices far too high. There was no upgrade or similar available for IHG members either.

Somewhere to sleep after visiting family
    • Double Room with Shower

It took a long time to check in as only one member of staff was on duty, although we could clearly hear other staff in the room behind the desk who did not come out to assist the person on the desk. The bar shuts at 11pm even for residents. Plus there was a private party going on in a function room below us that was very loud. We wouldn't have been been bothered by this if there had been somewhere for us to go to relax and have a drink. The rooms are functional but dated.

The price and ease of booking through bookings.com

Amazing Customer Service
    • Executive Double Room

Friendly staff! Shaz was absolutely amazing and so friendly. We are coming back again, the bar is an excellent finish to an evening and hopefully Shaz will be working next time too. We both felt so welcomed by him and Lucky on the night shift.

Not impressed
    • Standard Room

The other member from reception VERY rude,and i asked for a Bathtub when booked the hotel but there was none available.

Breakfast was good,the room was quiet.One member from reception very polite and helpful.

Convenient location, good price, excellent breakfast options...
    • Standard Room

Hard mattress. Room over looked dual carriageway and had to have window open as air con could only be set to heat not cool so very noisy. Couldn’t turn off the very bright green uplighters in bathroom and, as the door is frosted glass, the room had a bright green hue all night. Slept poorly.

Convenient location, good price, excellent breakfast options included. Pleasant staff.

Great food and restaurant staff but room cold and dark.
    • Executive Double Room

We had no heating in the room during the evening in spite of asking 3 times for it to be adjusted. The lighting was also insufficient for the room size.

The room was very large

Quiet and handy for the town centre

All was good thanks

The room was fairly quiet in spite of a large function taking place in the hotel on one of the nights and disabled Parking was right outside the door.

• Standard Room

Staff where rude, our room was a disabled room and dangerous as the drain had been replaced and the water flowed away and flooded the bathroom rather than running down the drain - was dangerous!

The hotel itself

Holiday Inn? More like Holiday [I'm] Out...

This is of course, all based on my sole experience at this hotel, so feel free to take it with a pinch (or more) of salt...However, for me, whilst the first impressions were good; final impressions were not. - The heating/air-con in our room couldn't warm up a Greggs pastie - let alone a large room with two tired guests in it. - The food in the restaurant downstairs was incredibly bland, stodgy, stale, and completely overpriced. I have no idea what they are thinking with this. I promise you this - go elsewhere, and you will be much more satisfied. - The staff, aside from the man (I forget his name, sorry!) at the desk from 10:30pm onwards, most of the staff appeared apathetic and often rude. There was one particular member of staff, got off her chair behind the reception desk, and walked into the office behind, every time I walked towards her with a question to ask. Hideous service. - Finally, the car parking situation. I have no problem with the situation that exists at this hotel, I totally get it - but to advertise 'Free Parking' on Booking.com, when this is far from the truth, is infuriating - and I was far from the only person to feel this way (I am sure the staff are frustrated by this too - having to explain to every guest). In short, if you don't book an Executive Room, you need to pay just shy of £3.60 each time you park...and it's across the road in an unsecured car park...which is only accessible on foot by a dodgy subway, and an equally annoying drive down the dual-carriageway, around the roundabout, and back up the aforementioned dual-carriageway.

The hotel - inside - is lovely. Very modern, nice and clean, attractive design. The location - despite not being within London - is still in a great position for you to get into London with ease. The High Barnet tube station (Northern Line) is a comfortable distance away to drive with ease, and Stevenage train station provides alternative transport for those not driving. If you're a business man with a car, it's pretty darn hard to beat - especially in the area. There are plenty of restaurants nearby, Asda, Tesco, Waitrose...and easy access to London.

Won’t be doing it again
    • Double Room - Disability Access

The fact that our room was for disabled and the toilet was dirty. There was mould all around the tiles. Should have been scrubbed mould comes off with bleach. I didn’t even shower as it was so filthy

It was clean, tidy.
    • Standard Room

Parking . I parked in the car park and was told it was only for executive rooms so I had to park across the road even though it was empty & other guests parked in the car park with no problems . Also at check in one staff was busy with customer while 2 other staff were chatting one I think was a manager and she didn't even acknowledge us .

The breakfast was delicious .

• Reviewed: 16 December 2017

Appalling, stay anywhere else, it'll be better than this.
    • Standard Room

The parking was a problem. The room had a double bed but a single headboard, strange. The restaurant was understaffed so we had to wait 30 minutes, the bar was understaffed so there was such a wait to get served I gave up. The food was inedible and we both ordered sausage and mash hoping they wouldn't screw this simple dish up, but they did. They ran out of white and rose wine, bad management.

Nothing. I'll never stay there again and wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

A horror story for my wife and i . We shoud be compensated for the stress !
    • Double Room with Shower

I received an electric shock from the reading light switch over the bed ! Complained to reception due to danger and fire risk with loose wires. Nothing was done during our stay !! Bathroom floor stained and dirty ! Room kettle overboiling would not click off !! Wife nearly scolded teying to turn off switch at wall. Loud beat and thumping music until 1 am both nights we stayed followed by loud voices in foyer until 3 am !!!!

Nothing other than average all around

Great room, Great breakfast. Would definitely stay again!
    • Standard Room

The gym could have had more things in it, plus the cross trainer did not work properly. The Plug got stuck in the sink and I couldn't get it out.

The room was very spacious, bed very comfy. Shower was amazing! Breakfast included and there was lots of choice!

I most definately wouldn't stay again
    • Standard Room

The staff were not particularly helpful on checking in, we only required one car parking space for 5 rooms and they wouldn't supply a space without some very hard negotiation. Bar staff sullen and lacked any form of personality.

Never going to use holiday inn again from that 1 stay
    • Standard Room

A proper chef in the kitchen for dinner .english lessons to dinning room staff..the whole place was very cold..even room service was shocking.

The bed was comfy.shower is great.

I would use the hotel again, good value, good location for walking into Stevenage old town
    • Double Room with Shower

Instructions for parking were not clear, parking seems to be in any of the car parks opposite the hotel, before you leave the hotel, you then just take the yellow token to reception, there is a fee of about £3, charged every time you want to leave the car park, its really good value

Plenty of parking available across the road from the hotel, Clean rooms, pleasant and helpful staff, lovely breakfast

Rubbish.
    • Standard Room

The customer service and taking over an hour to be checked in due to a "trainee". Why you would put a "trainer" on shift on the busiest night of the week I do not know. Then they over booked us into somebody else's room. This was my birthday not to mention the stress and upset from this.

Last minute. Essential. Back to basics.
    • Double Room with Shower

I did not like the cleanliness of the room. I felt so dusty. I was also provided a wrong room initially. I was shocked to see jackets in the room and was lucky one of the staff noticed me being puzzled before I even went deeper in the room. The staff was so kind however to get chaperone me to the reception desk to be placed on another room.

I liked the availability of the gym which was open from 06:30.

Great value, great hotel!
    • Standard Room

Some noise in next room from other guests.

Clean and well-appointed room, lots of lights available. Very clean too. Lovely, helpful and friendly staff.

Ok for a night

The staff were rude. We had to park somewhere separate but in the meantime we still got a parking ticket for parking at the hotel for an hour

The room was comfortable

Took a long time to check in, at breakfast we felt...
    • Executive Double Room

Took a long time to check in, at breakfast we felt uncomfortable with the interrogation about our room number before we even sat down. Breakfast was cold .

Good for the price I paid
    • Standard Room

Next to a fire station (potentially noisy but didn't hear any sirens!); mattress was a little firm for my liking; room was a bit dusty in places.

Decent for the price I paid; great shower; I was given a top floor room as I had requested a room on a high floor in a quiet location; parking cost £3.70 for the whole weekend (council run car park on the other side of the road, accessible by a subway - pay for parking at reception on departure.) If you want a big breakfast in the area try The Tea Cosy Cafe on Market Place which is opposite the hotel.

Good stay but no parking in town centre is a big put off
    • Double Room with Shower

OFF SITE PARKING- MULTI STOREY ACROSS THE ROAD. LATE ARRIVAL AS WOMAN ALONE NOT SUITABLE AT ALL. WILL NOT STAY AGAIN UNLESS PARKING ON SITE parking available if upgraded but would not let me as none availability and larger cost.

Friendly staff and good evening meal at reasonable price