Reviews of Holiday Inn Swindon 3 stars

Marlborough Road, Swindon, SN3 6AQ, United Kingdom

#14 of 18 hotels in Swindon

• Standard Double or Twin Room

There was a wedding in the hotel and they was quite noise running up and down our corridor.

The staff was welcoming and nothing was too much for them. The breakfast was amazing but hotel needs modernising.

I am disabled, walk with 2 sticks. I mistakenly booked for Sat night, a disabled bedroom. When I changed my booking to Friday, unfortunately that room was already taken, so I was given no139. This was a long walk for me from reception, down two corridors. I wish I had made it clear that I was still disabled; I could have had a room closer to the entrance. As it was, my room had a shower over the bath, which I couldn’t access without safety grab rails. I turned the bath water on to wash my feet; it was increadibly slow and dangerously hot. And I mean dangerously. I hate UHT milk. Fresh milk is available in those tiny containers, why not offer both? When booking, the words ‘with breakfast’ are there in the description, so one assumes that is included. Upon arrival you find it is not. Can you amend this please?

The room was large, the bed comfortable and all was clean. I was grateful for the thick dark curtains( it was mid summer) comfy armchair and easy to access side table lights. The staff were unfailingly pleasant, polite and very courteous, helpful. Thank you.

As above

The hotel is only a couple of miles out of Swindon. Conveniently located. The room was clean an good. The only problem was it was small. The bathroom was exceptionally small. The reception staff were brilliant 11 out of 10

Family room or rooms with adjoining door.

The staff were very pleasant and treated us as individuals. Took the time to ensure that we had everything we needed. Room very clean.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Bathroom too small. And the sheets were dirty a little bit.

I liked bed in the room. I liked that it had swimming pool and gym. Amd the food was delicious!

Staff was very helpful and graceful especially Elias at the reception and the lady at the gym / pool. The amenities were clean, breakfast was good and rooms were well equipped. I went with my toddler and he really enjoyed the pleasant atmosphere. Excellent value for money!

Many visitors in car park and police when i visited which was uncomfortable to leave car, room was a fair distance from reception and area before room stunk of cigarettes and smoking .

Check in was prompt and good value

The building is a low budget 70s hotel with some element of refurbishment (good bathroom) but it does not create a great first impression. Additionally if the design objective was to create soulless, bland, overlit corporate spaces then they have succeeded.

The staff were great, very friendly and helpful. The food in the restaurant was good and quite good value.

through the breakfast poor, not worth the £10 , there are much available in town for a lot less but coffee was good. breakfast was under heat lamps had dried up a bit, to much out for the number of people. the bit that truly p... me of that try to find me parking and yes I had book the car in, only a small thing but it could put me off returning

A part for the breakfast and car parking ( below) , an enjoyable stay

Staff were very helpful. I had pre-requested a ground floor room which had not been noticed. The room was quickly changed by the Manager who allocated me a family room instead so larger than expected. I had not pre-ordered breakfast as was unsure if I wanted that or not, but I was given the option to go to reception in the morning where I could purchase a voucher saving me £5 on the "walk-in" price at the restaurant. In the even I had breakfast in my room which was really lovely and nice and hot on arrival. The restaurant even phoned me to say the tray was on it's way which I thought was a nice touch of customer service. Room was very comfortable even though I was unable to figure our the heating, but it wasn't a huge problem! Bed was very nice indeed and I love the pillow choices. Nice bathroom with a good walk in shower and an adjustable shower head (fixed shower heads are my personal bug-bear). Good big towels too!

Not a big criticism as the staff assisted us with ease, but more tea, coffee, milk and sugar in the rooms.

The girl at the front desk, Lavinia, was lovely and welcoming and is a credit to your business. She made me and my partner feel at home.

Being woken by cleaning staff at 10am when checkout was midday. Been at hospital with family member all night so no sleep. No apology from cleaning staff, however the person on reception did apologise

Reception/bar area very cold, need more heating

Staff very good, did not use all the facilities but plenty on offer , very good breakfast buffet, good sized room, very comfortable

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

Heating didn't work , and it was a freezing night .Fodd & Drinks in hotel very over priced and no where around to go like pubs, restaurants etc

Staff very friendly

• Executive Room

We stayed in an Executive room but the bathroom was tiny and the shower was operated by the taps on the bath. Would’ve expected a more modern shower. Breakfast on Sunday morning was poor as they kept running low on the hot buffet food and it took ages to refill everything.

Friendly staff....nice and clean hotel

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Swimming pool staff were very strict and unfriendly Sofa beds were uncomfortable Restaurant was more expensive that what we expected, but food was very good.

Swimming pool Comfortable bed Friendly hotel staff (apart from pool staff) Food quality The receptionist was so lovely and friendly.

Expensive evening meal with poor service - poor advice and long waits Confusion at breakfast - poor advice and things ordered not turning up

Parking and location (though could do with clearer signage on the main road) Swimming pool and jacuzzi (though particularly heavy on the chlorine) Nice quiet little gym No problem with the room

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

Toilet was broken the room was poorly clean not happy The room was poorly cleaned the toilet was broken The room was basically not clean

Toilet was broken the room was poorly clean not happy

Nothing. I will be back.

What did I like ?the staff were very friendly.The room was clean .The bed was very comfortable. The food was great. There is nothing more to say but highly recommended.

Breakfast is expensive, so we didn't eat there, but it smelled nice!

Spotlessly clean room, lovely bathroom, recently renovated. Lovely, helpful staff at reception. Would definitely stay again and recommend it to anyone.

Hairdryer didn’t work and although I called housekeeping who promised ‘they were on the way’ half an hour later,I had to go to work with damp and unstyled hair. On my return, a replacement hairdryer was left in my room. The key to my room didn’t work twice. These are just minor issues that can easily be sorted. I’m not upset about them really. Nothing is perfect. I did enjoy my stay and will be back.

The room was very clean

Showers in fitness suite and pool tiles do look like they could do with a good clean..

Courteous,respectful,and kind staff..I was unhappy being placed so far away from reception as I have heart condition...they moved me with no qualms..wonderful

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

Shabby hotel and rooms, not what I expected from Holiday Inn. Very noisy music coming from a wedding party until late at night. Was promised a call from the manager when we complained but did not receive one.

Price was good as got a very cheap last minute booking with booking.com.

We came under the impression it was dog friendly but in fact we were told that the dog wasn't allowed anywhere except the bedroom. After we complained we were allowed to sit in the lounge area however it was cold, not very homely/ comfortable - not the sort of place that you would want to relax for an evening drink in.

Very comfortable and clean bedrooms. Staff were friendly and the breakfast in the restaurant was good. The leisure facilities were nice.

Not very scenic location

It was quiet and comfortable and a great place to rest while underway to Wales. Staff was really helpful and kept an eye on our trailer outside ar night.

It was disappointed the swimming pool was closed for a lesson and there was no advance notice. The staff let us go into the pool to swim in the corner but the instructor kicked us out, had to wait cold in changing room for 15 mins.

Good facility and good food at the restaurant.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

Breakfast charge of £14.95 was very high.

The room was as expected. very nice to have a large walk in shower and not a bath with shower. The bathroom was very compact but extremely clean.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

Only one very tiny issue . I tried to book a massage with on site beautician was told to phone her. As I only wanted a 30 minute massage I didn’t feel it was worth her while. As luck happened the next day my son was down in gym he called me to ad use that beautician was on site. I went down booked and had the most amazing massage. When I asked why there was so little information on site she informed me that I could have booked through gym reception I advised that I wasn’t offered this. I do feel that if there was more information I would have used her service a few times plus it was New Year’s Eve and maybe nails could have been painted facials massages etc. It’s no big deal but the added attraction of beauty treatments could be highlighted .

The friendly staff who could not do enough to help with anything especially Charlie on reception. The pool area and gym were clean tidy and well kept. The breakfast was good value for money with great choice of food on offer once again the staff were attentive and again nothing was too much trouble.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

Really old. Really tired. Small room. Quite clean. Old hotel caught in 70’s era. V expensive room. Wouldn’t stay here or recommend to anyone

Check out lady v nice

Breakfast was terribly overpriced at 14.95 pounds so found somewhere else to eat. Bathroom rather small.

Well laid out and well equipped rooms. Good quality pillows and large bath towels were provided. Powerful hair dryer provided.

The room was a little too warm, the bathroom was very small but just about adequate. The bar prices were very expensive

The pool was nice and warm and not busy. The breakfast was great-the while Hotel was spotless

Unable to get any sleep (seriously about 10 mins at one point ) in room 208 because of a hot water pipe that made a very loud knocking/banging noise every couple of seconds. After 2 hours of torture told reception staff at 3am not very helpful although when asked for did supply ONE set of ear plugs for TWO guests

Lady at breakfast was very helpful and delightful with service and very friendly chat because of no sleep in the previous 8hrs I was not in the best of moods

Common areas are cold and dated

Bedrooms are good and the staff excellent - common areas could do a refresh, gym is useful. Reasonable pub like meals with a 3 or four veggie main meal options

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

There was nothing we did not like for a change

Room was lovely & staff went out of there way to make us feel comfortable. Everything was lovely including room, service, food, pool & more

Bathroom was quite small but fine for 1 person. I wouldn't of liked it if I was sharing with other people, also food is quite expensive for what it was!

Staff were very friendly especially the lady on reception when I arrived, I would stay here again 😊

The bathroom was very small, could hardly turn round but that was the only downside to our stay.

Staff were friendly and helpful, hotel was clean, bed was very comfortable. The evening meal we had at the hotel was surprisingly good.

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Rooms were noisy from others toilets and extractor fans, banging doors and noisy guests all hours. Family room cramped with a very uncomfortable sofa bed, sheets didn't fit which added to the discomfort.

It was clean and the staff friendly and helpful. Good choice for breakfast, easy to find. Swimming pool great for the kids however could do with a make over.

• Executive Double Room

Was quite small for an 'executive' room. Free WiFi appeared to be very insecure so did not use. Safe provided for valuables was not attached to anything so could simply have been picked up. Bar V. expensive. Better off in the pub over the road.

Easy Access, Plenty of parking. Breakfast was good.

The rooms are tiny - got a twin room because the hotel was full, impossibly small. Ordinary breakfast.. too expensive for what you get

Large parking lot.. Helpful staff

I found some of the rooms were a bit noisy. In other words the noise seemed to travel, but it was only two families with children and once they went to bed it was fine. It is a nice place for families so I wouldn't change that.

I couldn't choose I liked it all, lovely place to stay.

Some guests were very noisy as they returned to their rooms very late at night. Not the fault of the hotel at all. Bathroom was small (not like the pictures) but functional.

Conveniently located for motorway. Friendly staff. Lots of free parking. Good WiFi. Use of pool and jacuzzi was great.

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Kids are supposed to eat free but as they do a 'Lounge' menu instead of 'Lunch' menu you pay for kids day meals ! Felt deceitful to me.

Pool and Jacuzzi were great as was the space to socialise with our group either in the comfortable courtyard or indoors.

Beautifully refitted shower and basin but couldn't see how to operate shower temperature so couldn't use it; couldn't understand how to operate basin waste either!

Staff very welcoming and helpful. Very clean. Very quiet.

• Executive Double Room

It looks a bit tired on the outside

The hotel is what I would expect from the chain however the staff were in a class of their own excellent service friendly helpful and by far the hotels biggest asset. I would definitely return well done guys you made my stay.

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Jacuzzi was a bit hot. But thats the only fault

Lovely staff and really nice reception area and bar. Pool was a perfect size. Reception staff assisted with a query about my points.

My opinion of the Holiday Inn has completely changed after a stay at this location. The staff, the bed, the sausages were all excellent. A 11 out of 10!!! If I'm ever in Swindon again, this will be my #1 choice for sure!!

The whole place could do with general maintenance and the decoration updated. However, we do believe some was in progress at the time. The bathroom door didn't fit and we had to be extra careful with the room door as it didn't lock properly every time.

The breakfast selection was excellent and well organized.

there was no lift to upper floor. Had asked for a lower ground room on booking.com but this was never relayed to hotel I'm disabled and had to climb stairs and walk to other end of building!! Night staff wasn't bothered. " it's only one flight of stairs" was his reply. That's all well and good if you're able bodied! Day staff were very helpful and apologetic. Breakfast was ok. But room was very very basic for the price we paid.

it was pretty clean. Good location

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

Nothing particularly. We don't stay away from home very often so a little bit more information in the room would have helped us. We didn't realise that breakfast finished at 9.30am and we slept so well we missed it !

We were visiting friends in the area and this was a great location for us. The staff were all very kind and friendly and when we got the timings for breakfast wrong they went out of their way to serve us and make us feel looked after. Jose on reception was especially friendly and helpful. The food was lovely and we really enjoyed our evening meal, especially the chocolate brownie dessert!

Room too far from entrance, I specifically asked for a room close to entrance, not too much walking as my husband was recovering from a back injury and walking was difficult for him. Why ask for requests if they are going to be completely ignored?. The bathroom was ridiculously small, you had to sit on the toilet to have a wash at the sink!!

Bed very comfy

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

We had a family room (?), two adults and two children sharing a bathroom with actual standing space of approximately 1.5ft x 3 ft. This made it difficult for either myself or my wife to help the young child whilst in the bathroom together. I would say that the hotel is dated and needs to be completely refurbished. We had no problem parking which was free.

The staff were great, helpful and very professional. The selection of food at breakfast was very good. Our two grandsons enjoyed the pool which was clean and the water warm.

Room was on 1st floor but there was no lift and my wife has a bad hip. Air conditioning was not working in the whole block. Hotel being refurbished but no notice of this received when making reservation.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

Extremely delapited. Needs to be rebuilt not merely painted. Some structures are able to be improved by re-furbishment. This hotel is not one of them. The original building dates back to era of extremely poor architecture. Needs demolishing.

Not a lot.

Only one of our 2 rooms booked had water & kitkat! (lack of consistency?) The cleaning of the room was not thorough - the skirting boards were dusty, as were the carpet edges & under the bed, where we found human hair! Carpets tired. The bathroom was so small, you had to go in & shut the door before you could get to toilet, basin or shower, and only fits one person. Luckily, we're not big, but large guests would struggle!

The warm welcome. Parking. Convenient location. Room had been newly decorated and modernised. Water & kitkat in the room. Well designed for using a hair dryer with sockets and mirror and extra lighting together. Lady friendly, as well as man friendly! Plenty of space for makeup, jewellery etc on dressing table. Good amenities eg ironing board, new tv etc. Shower & shower screen was great! Breakfast staff also helpful & friendly.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The bed was too small for us & although the breakfast was excellent we felt it too costly to eat at hotel for the three days we were there.

Location & cleanliness & attitude of all staff.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

No mini bar No shampoo or conditioner View of car park No drawer space No biscuits with coffee No breakfast included Bathroom bit cramped Smell of paint as they were decorating

Nice shower but temperature control faulty Evening meal was nice

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

Breakfast bit overheated on the plates rather than freshly cooked. Average selection of croissants, cereals etc. Price didn't reflect that the hotel was undergoing refurb -smell of paint everywhere

The swimming pool

Breakfast was very poor been held to long when complained twice manager he made fresh and was told to see him on leaving as had something for us !!!! Yes a bottle off water and a chocolate bar !!!!

We stayed for 2 nights with breakfast for my sisters wedding. When booked in on arrival I was told we would settle our room bill and anything else upon check out and that the card I gave was purely a security measure. When we checked out I was told that the bill had already been settled and the card I gave initially had been charged £80, breakfast had also been added although we had paid for this, however this was removed. Very unhappy with this. I was not shown any breakdown. The next day I found I had been charged £167. When I contacted the hotel they explained this was the 2nd night and the bar bill. I had forgotten about the bar bill as had been so shocked that money had been taken with me authorizing it. I explained that I had not been shown any sort of breakdown of bar charges etc. The receptionist and apologized and couldn't really explain why this happened. It was very inconvenient for the hotel not to check the details and charge my card. The receptionist I spoke to did offer to give me extra points, however I rarely stay at Holiday Inn's so this wasn't really of any benefit.

The bed sheets were amazingly soft. The bed very comfortable. Room spotless. Bar staff very polite.

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

The manager´s behaviour

The staff in general is polite but far away from a minimun standard to provide a professional service. They are very formal but very inneficient. The old instalations are poorly maintanied and looks withered with a musty or sweet odor. And the swimming pool and a the gym they offered in the web page as an extra are like public instalations for people who is not living in the hotel. The water of the swimming ppol is not clear at all, and the gym is overcrowed the majority of the times

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

The hairdryer breaking halfway through drying my hair but soon replaced, also the card key had to be reset several times as wouldn't work.

The comfort and cleanliness of the hotel 100% . Staff very friendly and welcoming.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

We were travelling with a one year old baby, they put us in a room furthest away from reception with only stairs no lift. This caused a lot of problems with luggage and arriving late at night and leaving early in the morning we had to carry the baby and the pram down two flights of stairs.

The staff that brought room service were very helpful, polite and friendly.

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

there was nothing we didn't like.

hotel was easy to find .the staff were very friendly and helpful.the breakfast had a good choice of items for everyone.the room was comfortable and as a family room had plenty of space for the 3 of us.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

We loved the onsite swimming pool, jacuzzi & sauna!! Continental breakfast for 3 of us - eat as much as you like for £10 extra - well recommended 👍

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

There was no safe box in the room. Breakfast was a bit overcooked.

Great hotel with a spacious free parking (you need to register your car at the reception desk) and a nice swimming pool. Located in a quiet area.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

We asked for a quiet room and got one with a connecting door where we could hear the neighbours all evening, which was a bit rubbish. By the time we realised it, we couldn't really change rooms because we were in bed.

• Reviewed: 7 May 2017

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

Booking .com not passing on our requirements

The staff were excellent and helped us out. My partner and I am disabled and Booking .com didn't pass on the message about needing a accessible room. Karen moved things about to accommodate the three of us

• Reviewed: 29 April 2017

We couldn't get the heating to turn down in our room but we didn't ask so I'm sure if we had then someone would have helped

The breakfast options were extensive and the staff very helpful

• Reviewed: 27 April 2017

Allocated room not suitable for rent as under refurbishment and stunk of paint. Even the windows were covered in paint. I requested another room. Room 159 was the one allocated room 233 was the one we were moved to. Room 159 should not have been available to start with. Bar closed at 11.30. Barman conveniently lost the key to open bar. We had to go to the garage opposite to buy wine and beer. The occasion was my 60th birthday so very disappointed with the service. On our return to reception 3 other guests arrived and requested a bottle of red wine. The barman opened up the bar and served the other 3 guests. He said it was because they had been there some time (contractors, rooms booked by Keltbray Aspire). I will not be returning and paid well over the odds for nothing.

Reception staff extremely helpful

• Reviewed: 26 April 2017

I had to complain after being woken up at 5.30 a.m. by a large group returning to their rooms and socialising loudly for a few hours.

Helpul manager who gave me a partial refund and a free breakfast.

• Reviewed: 21 April 2017

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

The bathroom was a little congested..not enough space to move around though...

Breakfast was really tasty and served excellent.Staff were so friendly..even the receptionist that was on duty that checked us in was very welcoming and kind.

• Reviewed: 16 April 2017

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

Pillows were uncomfortable. And my 15 year old son was disappointed when he was told he couldn't use the gym with his Dad.

Room/bathroom were clean. Breakfast was lovely and staff were very helpful and friendly.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

We were not aware of the additional charge for a dog (£20) per night as this was not made clear on the booking.com website. Luckily the hotel agreed to waive this charge. If we had known this in advance we wouldn't have stayed at this hotel. Booking.com should state the applicable charges for a dog when advertising a hotel.

Needs a facelift. Breakfast overpriced and coffee undrinkable. The food sits for too long in the containers leading to hard eggs. Bacon and sausage undercooked and cold, needs improvement. Pool not operational during my visit.

The staff were all excellent. The bed was very comfy. the lunch was good.

• Reviewed: 6 April 2017

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Room was small, however comfy enough for short stay. Good, tasty breakfast, however we had to pay for my 17 years old son's meal, despite the fact that we've booked room with breakfast included for all 4 of us . That information wasn't clearly visible at the time of booking.

Good location, easy to reach from the motorway. Great if you want to see Bath and Bristol, but want to avoid high accommodation charges there. Really friendly staff. Great breakfast, well served by experienced staff. Neat and tidy all around. Fitness center was a great bonus.

Browse Holiday Inn Swindon traveller photo gallery