Reviews of Holiday Inn Washington 4 stars

Emerson, Washington, NE37 1LB, United Kingdom

#3 of 6 hotels in Washington

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Had a good nights sleep the beds were comfortable also breakfast was good and cooked I thought because it was buffet breakfast might have been continental . Staff helpful and friendly

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Room smelt of damp, the shower had clearly leeked and stained the carpet.Bedding dirty and stained, however the staff promptly resolve this. £15 charge for our little dog, which is the highest charge we have ever paid anywhere. Generally the hotel is lacking luster and passed its best. Breakfast completely tasteless, really don't know how that was achieved? Overall very disappointing.

Not much.

The shower was pathetically powered.

The room was perfect for my needs, plenty of desk space to continue my days work, room service was super quick and friendly.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

In the special requests section, I did ask for something particular, as it was my son's birthday that day. No-one even bothered to acknowledge the request. Additionally, there was very little to choose from with regards food, once the restaurant had closed. We arrived on a late flight, and resorted to going out to a 24-hour Asda to find something suitable.

Nothing stood out, to be honest.

• Executive Double Room

There was trouble and shouting and carrying in on the floor at 5.00am and when we rang to complain it took nearly an hour to get it sorted. When we conolained to the receotion they just said it wasnt their problem and fault.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

No entertainment in the hotel which was bit boring - Would be nice if they had music or some other things to do in the hotel in the evening.

``Is very good but location to Newcastle is bit far - But after staying more than couple of days one can get used to get to travel via bus from Washington to Newcastle. People were very helpful and kind, we used the public transport

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Facilities as advertised were either non-existent, or not pointed out by staff or usual adverts in hotels, eg. leaflets etc. The twin beds we were promised were turned into a small double, wasted in such a large room. There were no toiletries in the bathroom as is usual in hotels. The carpets & armchair had very bad staining, needs replacing or at very least professional cleaning. The cleaning was not up to standard, bins not emptied toilet basin not cleaned & on our second day, toilet roll not replaced. We have used Holiday Inn hotels on previous occasions, so this one fell well below the standards we expected. Ruined our weekend.

The breakfasts were good, did not try evening meals, too expensive.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Breakfast was OK but the coffee was always weak. Guests are expected to bring their breakfast vouchers but your system should bring up all that the staff require from the guests name and room number.

Some of the staff were friendly and attentive. Although we were 'out' from 2pm to midnight, our room did not get cleaned. Were we expected to remember to put the 'clean the room' sign out? An overall impression was that the guests were expected to fit in with the running of the hotel.

• Executive Double Room

Don't waste your money on "the executive rooms", as we didn't get the extras expected. Also no fridge fitted and had to make do with an ice bucket. Warm champagne is not nice on your anniversary.

The staff are incredible. The food is incredible. The beds are comfortable.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

They charge you 30£ in advance on your card at the arrival, just in case you have some drink at the bar during your stay. (then not paid if you do not drink)

cleanliness, bed comfort

• Standard Double or Twin Room

updated bathroom and generally feeeling in need of renovations

Bed was big and comfortable. Breakfast - good choice. Very full with 3 coach parties and a wedding over night, but plenty of food and drink at breakfast.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Room was dated, needs an over haul, bath was on the high side for older people. On saying that the room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. Didn't appreciate children running around and shouting in the bar area.

Bed was comfortable, we needed local accommodation to meet our needs, the Holiday Inn did that. Breakfast selection was good, the staff were very helpful, some were a little difficult to understand, but overall they looked after us very well.

The accommodation is in a housing estate and near to a motorway. On the second night we had to use the air con. thereby closing the window and keeping out the continuous road noise. Perhaps reception could emphasise to use aircon in room, in order to be able to close window because of traffic noise and stuffy room.

Room good with adequate facilities. Helped with dietary problems in the restaurant.

• Standard Twin Room

Breakfast is poor - go to the Toby carvery down the road. Aircon wasn't working.

Very clean, comfortable bed, good selection of channels, reception staff are warm and friendly.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The trollies need updating. The £ 30. Deposit. Plus your payment card on arrival. The. A/C. Need to install new Air conditioning system in rooms.

The breakfast. And the room. Plus the access

No balcony. Some days we had to ask the front desk to bring us shower gel and tissues. Once the central heating was turned off. The bathroom is small and the bath chipped. Hotel needs refurbishing.

The restaurant staff was very friendly. The environment around the hotel is very nice.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

I thought a holiday Inn would have a pool . . . But no.

Beds were lovely and comfy. Staff were very helpful. Twin room a little squashed for two people to squeeze round and bar food was tired. Clean and comfortable for three night stay.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Nothing really we will be coming back.

We have stayed here lots of times, it is very comfortable and clean and we get a good night's sleep because it is quiet and a good breakfast.

Nothing notable.

Basic Holiday Inn accommodation. All good. Staff friendly and helpful. Food and drinks available in the restaurant. Plenty of parking places if you come in by car.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Small bathroom but serviceable; rather ‘dated’ building; essentially no negative comments.

Appropriately placed for our requirements; great staff who were welcoming, friendly and very efficient; good parking; good price; Holiday Inn have never let us down so far - especially being dog friendly (tho we were travelling without the dogs this trip).

• Standard Twin Room

Room was cold and we couldn’t adjust temperature in room. We requested an additional heater which was supplied straight away so not complaining just a comment.

Great location, rooms clean and staff very friendly and helpful. Great value breakfast with voucher.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Black hair in the main pot of yoghurt which wasn’t removed after I I pointed it out Whoever makes the coffee at breakfast needs to taste it...it was undrinkable Loose toilet seat in the room

To begin with I got off to a challenging start as I couldn't access my room. And before you query this it was in hand while time and not near my mobile phone. Secondly the restraints took it upon themselves to give them a 6 pounds til and also a 14.99 service charge. When I went back to the front desk they couldn't help and referee me to restraunt who told me they forgot to tell about the 6 pounds til and told me I ordered a third main meal. I tracked with my fiancee and I only. They then couldn't work out how to refund me it however managed to get the refund eventually . I am still awaiting the refund. And to top thing off my fiancee tried to use the hairdryer provided this was cracked and did her hand. and did not turn on luckily as her hair was dripping wet and could have been extremely dangerous I went to get another and spoke to a room attendant who went on it room 1 where the hairdryer did not work here either. Instead of removing she left in room. She then went into a second room and eventually 3 hairdryer later we managed to get one which worked. I was only ever so glad I was only staying one night when I plan this trip next year I will be avoiding and paying only 10 pounds more and going to the premier in. Which is less than a 5 min walk and besides a really good carvery. Do not go here and avoid at all costs. Absolute disgrace of a company.

I liked the staff in restraints area and at front desk

Location was ideal for us, just off the A1. We have stayed here many times in the past and find it to be a clean and comfortable hotel with friendly staff. We like the breakfast but didn't take up the offer on this occasion as we had an early start.with a very good breakfast.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Lift needed a sign to say reception was on floor 1. A few people, like me assumed it was on the ground floor. Did not realise it was so near the A1. Thought the photographs of the suitcase a bit weird.

The staff were all cheerful and friendly. Breakfast was excellent Evening meal was well prepared. But would have liked a slightly wider choice.

I can't really say that I didn't like it but there could have been a bit more organised at breakfast e.g replace items of food quicker before they had all gone.

I liked the location and the rooms were comfortable and clean.

telly wasn't working, it said no signal, I told the receptionist and she said it would be sorted, when I came back later on from going out with a friend it still wasn't so I did it myself.

Very tired and tatty! Needs a massive re-furb! Room small and very dated. Bathroom same issues! Even the films didn't work - wouldn't load!

stains on carpet, no main light in room. our friends key card didn't work properly and she found an hair on the bathroom tap

great value for money

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Not as pet "friendly" as expected. Extra charge of £15 per night, restricted areas where the pet was allowed. Basic things, like a toilet brush were missing.

The location of the hotel was good for us.

Room was very warm & heating not easy to control. Need better pillows!

Able to provide Gluten free options at breakfast 😊I usually have to bring my own when I stay other places & this is frustrating. Good choice of breakfast items. Room was Executive so larger & extras included, a nice bonus. Comfortable bed & really good shower.

Couldn’t control the heating, so room was very hot! Lost tv signal!

Room comfortable, everything you need in the bathroom. Breakfast had plenty of choice & food was hot! Staff very helpful, always smiling & keen to help. Moved tables so I could have breakfast with other family members stopping there as we were there for a wedding.

• Standard Twin Room

Bathroom very tiny but manageable. The plug got stuck so sink filled! Telephone flashed a red light all the time! Both issues were annoying but not urgent so reported them on check-out. Outside bin over flowing!!!! Windows need replacing re noise level.

Staff very friendly and happy to help.

Bathroom was very bad and smelling shower curtain dirty 😵😵😵. I could not even shower or bath and brush my teeth because of this bathroom.

Breakfast was good

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The hotel furniture and decor is a little dated; the restaurant adverts around the reception and bar area talks up the food but it isn't as good as it claims to be; unfortunately the restaurant furniture gives it a canteen look and feel. While the staff were happy and efficient what came out of the kitchen didn't really do their efforts justice. Please can Holiday Inn sort out the confusion surrounding the "curry of the day" on the menu. It alludes to being a beef curry, I ordered it thinking it was beef curry but what I got really wasn't beef curry, it was more like an onion stew with a chunk of chicken thrown in.

The check in and out was happy and cheerful. The bar was adequate, with cheerful staff who did their best. There was lots of parking. The breakfast was good.

Room was a bit too warm but nothing an open window couldnt fix

Staff where very attentive and pour a good Guinness. We had a situation of being stuck in the lift but they were quick to help and resolve it -super service.

TV in room didn't work although it was quickly fixed following a visit by the very apologetic Manager. There was a serious water leak around the outdated windows and we were offered a change of rooms which we declined as were tired and had already settled in and unpacked. At breakfast we were directed by a member of staff to a table which turned out to have been already reserved/occupied by another couple - all very embarrassing!! The same member of staff served my coffee but didn't serve my partner. The coffee was cool and of poor quality. The black pudding had been seriously incinerated. The postcode for the hotel was not recognised by my satnav so we had some problems finding the location

Hotel was very quiet, staff were pleasant. Parking was easy.

• Standard Twin Room

Thought restaurant was very expensive not good value for money. bathroom very tiny. decent shower -obese person would not be able to use facilities. we stayed for 2 nights. maid took dirty towels but forgot to replace with clean ones. tea/coffee facilities not replaced .we had room 618, motorway noise irritating.No drawers of any kind in room only hanging space and cupboard under TV. plenty of room for drawers both side of beds but left empty. tiny shelf below lights.

friendly staff. Lovely welcome, comfortable beds, very clean room and bathroom. Towels and bedding clean. No noise from other guests.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Bacon was rather greasy. Grill for the bread either didn't brown the bread enough or burnt it. (Would be maybe be better if, somehow, customers couldn't alter the controls).

Plenty of staff around. All of whom had a smile for their customers

Can’t fault the place. I travel and stay in the North East every week mostly on my own. Location is good, it’s clean, it’s quiet and good value. What more do you need?

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Breakfast was excellent. Bed very comfy. Staff friendly and helpful. everything runs smoothly. Nothing too much for anyone. Houskeeping staff extremely good at their jobs.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The outside! We were a little worried when we pulled up and it looked like a high rise. However the dirat impression was thankfully wrong.

Inside was nice and clean. Beds are really comfy. Staff were lovely and the brekfast was delicious.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Nothing it was where I wanted to be and met my expectations

The location for me was great. The room was very comfortable and the staff friendly and helpful. Breakfast was really good and the range of food available was excellent. WiFi worked.

• Standard Twin Room

Room was too hot and turning valve on radiator didn’t make any difference.

Friendly staff, warm room and as quiet as could be expected given proximity to A1. Good breakfast including fresh fruit.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Shower area was not very clean hairs build up if dust etc hotel in general looked tired, roof tiles on sixth floor were horrible walking to the lift.

The bed was clean and comfy

• Standard Double or Twin Room

It was very noisy as there was a wedding on in the function room. We couldn't have sat in the bar and had a quiet drink.

The staff were very helpful and friendly (from check-in to bar to restaurant). We travelled with elderly parents and their room was perfect.

Not that I don’t like this as suchbut it is the only negative : bathroom very small and tight Bathroom ceiling had bits coming off and full of black mouldy marks

Clean, comfortable fairly quiet Welcoming

The service charge at the evening meal, the drainage on the bathroom sink leaked quite badly, we then did not use, ( although these things happen )

Breakfast was a bit of a cock-up, we filled a room card as we had to leave early to go to the british championships, it was mislaid and incorrect when we ate,

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The room I had was a little noisy - road noise not guest noise!

Hotel is easy to use with very friendly staff. Food is excellent Rooms are comfy and warm Great value for money.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Single bed not comfortable. Bathroom very small and cramped. Signs of wear and tear throughout room and bathroom. None working vent in bathroom.

Free Parking

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Arrived in early hours and car park full. There is another bigger car park at rear but not signposted so, you wouldnt know. Drag suitcases up hill to reception as all other entrance doors locked. 30 minutes to check in due to computers, cant pay due to card machines not working. Grubby room, 2 singles rather than the double I booked and TV not working. Didnt complain as only had a few hours to rest. In morning, shower valve broken and no hot water at all. On check out (another 30 minute wait as one staff at 8am) listed complaint, reception manager apologetic but not much more. Kept apologising for my long drive and late arrival, as if thats why the hotel is in such a state. Did inform me that as I had not booked direct with Holiday Inn that I was not eligable for any rewards points, room upgrade, high speed internet or any of the other things you get with an IHG Gold rewards card and that customers who dont book direct are first to be downgraded when the hotel gets busy and starts running out of rooms, be warned! There is a Premier Inn right next door, I will use that in future and so should you.

Its just off the A1m so handy for long travels.

The lady on the reception called JEA was extremely unhelpful and unprofessional this time. There was an issue with the booking.com reservation and she was not supportive at all, did not consulted some more experienced colleague, did not proposed any solutions, was just standing there staring and was quite unfriendly. The same issue with the reservation we had during this stay later in Hilton and was solved shortly with lots of laught.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Room service standard of food better than expected. Lovely. Parking. Plenty of grass for Dog's and good groung floor as requested. Breakfast lovely..staff too. Very clean. Thanks

• Executive Double Room

Poor quality for an exec room, shower was cold even when turned to full and kept falling forward and was not powerful, bath was chipped and in poor condition. Quilts only just fit the bed and no robes which it said there would be. Room 502

Convenient location

The shower tray was worrying You were stood in water which looked like it would come over the tray and flood So you had to have a rushed shower !It must be a good way to save water but it is a design fault

The staff were all helpful and pleasant .The food was good at breakfast and at dinner At this time of year the hotel was quiet at night too.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Not the best Holiday Inn I have stayed in, bit tired looking but perfectly good for an overnight stay. Great location just off A1. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Food and beer was good. Generally good for the price.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Wedding party were allowing children to run throughout the hotel.

The staff were excellent especially Amanda on reception and the young lady at breakfast. Excellent value for money. Lovely comfortable bed and nice hot shower.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Double bed too small for couple. Old property that has been "refreshed" but really needs rebuilding. TV system basically defunct.

Cheap and cheerful. Staff friendly and efficient. Close to A1 and plenty of good parking.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

I don't really have any issue with this hotel, they do a great job and they charge a fair price.

The rooms are spotlessly clean and the staff do a great job.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

All staff were really friendly, and professional. The bed was really comfortable and huge, also the view from the window was really nice. Would stay again.

Cost of drink at the bar far too expensive, which put me off staying for a meal. Also a packet of biscuits and perhaps some hot chocolate with welcome tray would have been a good idea.

The cleanliness of the room was very good, bathroom spotless, towels and soap all in order. The breakfast was plentiful, porridge cooked to a good standard and other items all very satisfactory. Very friendly and helpful staff on arrival, at breakfast and on departure. Convenient location for me near to motorway and my destination the following day.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The hotel is a dump - I have seen better looking and maintained council towers. Down-right dirty when I arrived; after a complaint a third of hair balls on the room floor were removed. Cleaned myself. Stayed 6 nights. 1 day absolutely no room service (ie cleaning), a second day very limited. Breakfast limited. Prices for food and drinks in bar and restaurant too high, also when compared to other places in the area. Optically an eye-sore, with rotting, dirty roof-boards on top floor coming loose. Staff unfriendly and unhelpful. Never again.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The bed was so uncomfortable and the pillows were really bad. Terrible night's sleep which was very unhelpful given I had a meeting the following morning.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Paint was peeling from the bath tub.

Friendly staff, meal was surprisingly good - I say surprising as recently at other hotels have been let down but they did a good job here.

We used this hotel as a stop off on a long drive. The hotel was very easy to find and had ample secure parking. Staff were very friendly and welcoming. The room was small but had everything we needed and was clean and comfortable. Breakfast was very good, I would have no problem returning. Its perfect for a quick stopover.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Coffee and tea overpriced in the bar Would have liked to sit in lounge with hot drink. Definitely not value for money

AGood breakfast. Friendly staff at breakfast.comfortable bed. Calm atmosphere

I didn't like that on check in they took my card and made £230 pending in my account, this was apparently for security, then on checkout they took the payment of £170 (the price of the booking). I asked about the £230 and when I get that back, she said I had to wait 3-5 working days. I weren't happy about this at all as it meant I had £230 pending in my account which I couldn't access, it was good job I was with my girlfriend who could sub me for the other expenses on the weekend. Actually, including the booking amount I had a total of £400 pending in my account. Not happy and something they need to sort out.

Good location for the nature of the stay. Clean and comfy.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

We had to ask for a spare toilet roll as the room service had not left one when they cleaned our room. On this day when we returned from a sightseeing visit we noticed nothing had been wiped down in the bathroom. A minor oversight by the staff but this lack of detailed service provision let them down in my view?

There was a morning when we came down to breakfast and three coach parties were in the dining room. We were placed in a different room for just hotel guests. The staff had been run off their feet all morning we were told, they coped and we were not disrupted too much.

The evening meal was diabolical - absolutely terrible. Not what the picture was on the menu. I ordered as room service and actually took one bite and then threw it away. Better off eating elsewhere.

• Executive Double Room

The bathroom was in desperate need of a make over, bath stained and tiling dated and grout stained. The beakfast service was worse than awful. No one clearing tables, poor selection of food. Ok if you wanted white bread & cooked breakfast. Coffee was horrid watered down and mass produced, despite the statement on their literature that they used Starbucks coffee.

Location good for Durham, we were visiting the Uni open day, 10 mins to the park & ride at junction 62. Room had been recently decorated and the bed was comfortable.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

There was no soap or toiletries in our room. Easily fixed by popping down to main reception.Room was a bit small but we were only staying for one night so it wasn't a problem... but would have been if we were staying longer. Also there were only 2 staff running around at breakfast and they were struggling to cope.

The night receptionist was lovely and very helpful. Nice clean room. I liked the option of soft or firm pillows. Decent breakfast with enough options for vegetarians.

nothing al nok.

wir had a lovley stay nothing been to much for the staff manager Carl been one in a million. you ask for something and no problem at all.dinner ok ask for somthing diffrent no problem again.staying again in holiday inn any time.mr.and mrs thorpe

• Executive Double Room

breakfast a bit basic- poor selection of fruit and fruit juice. Only one robe and no slippers in our executive room on arrival. a second robe was promptly delivered to our room and the maid explained that the hotel was waiting for a delivery of slippers and one pair arrived the next day, we didn't ask again for a second pair. Only one bath towel was in our room and it wasn't replaced after the first night, however more towels were delivered when we asked at reception.

staff all very good

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Sadly the hotel was not up to the same standard as other Holiday Inns we have stayed in. Although the bedroom appeared to have been recently updated, the bathroom had not and looked very tired. It was also rather small. Having booked through Booking.com I believed I had requested a double room for my husband and myself. On arrival I was informed that I had expressed no preference and that only a twin room was available. The receptionist informed me that other guests had experienced similar problems and I was advised by the Manager that he had tried several times, without success, to sort the problem out with Booking.com. The bedroom itself was comfortable enough and despite there being a wedding reception on the first evening of our stay, was very quiet. Having read previous poor reviews of the food/restaurant service, we ate elsewhere.

The location of the hotel was convenient for the visits we wished to make - to Beamish and to Durham Cathedral and Castle

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The costs of a breakfast and evening meal, with a Toby Carvery just a short distance away the hotel did nothing to make eating there value for money or appetising.

The room was clean and tidy if a little bland