Reviews of Holiday Inn Basingstoke 3 stars

Grove Road, Basingstoke, RG21 3EE, United Kingdom

#7 of 20 hotels in Basingstoke

I must say good words about Ahron one of the front desk guys...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

I must say good words about Ahron one of the front desk guys who always tried to help and advice us during all our stay. He even reprogramm and fixed my Tv In my room which i complained every evening that it was not working no one cared. Every day They just promisses that it will be fixed tomorow. Thank you Ahron.

good base to meet friends.
    • Executive Double Room

Absolutely no problems at all, what you should expect from this type of hotel and the Holiday Inn Basingstoke passed on all counts. The room was comfy, staff were happy to help, be it recommendations to eat, shop etc, breakfast and dinner were good and plentiful.

Very good hotel. Exceptional service from the staff. Well done!
    • Executive Double Room

Only the tiniest niggle: I ordered a prawn and smashed avocado sandwich. The avocado was under-ripe and not smashed! It was still tasty enough to eat...

Very pleasant stay. The hotel was very comfortable, my room was spotlessly clean when I arrived with many considerate little extras. By far the most impressive aspect of my stay were the staff. Every single member of staff was polite, courteous ans professional. They should be very pleased with the service they deliver.

Lovely stay
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Looking a bit outdated in the hallways, bar and reception. Not an easily accessible shower.

Easy access to all the rooms from various car parks and a nice size room which was clean. Nice bathroom with good facilities.

Breakfast was nice as well as it was close to the shops and...
    • Executive Double Room

Unable to sit outside in the garden and enjoy the weather it sit in the bar and have a drink as we planned because there were weddings both days we were there

Breakfast was nice as well as it was close to the shops and home

Good place to stay in Basingstoke

TV controls were old, lack of Radio Stations. Temperature in the room was a bit to warm to be honest but the a.c. did work well. Not enough sugar and tea bags

The AC worked really well just wished I put it on before I went to bed. The bed was comfortable and the room was a nice size

Good hotel

No issues

Everything with the room and check in was wonderful But when we return from the wedding To go back to our rooms at midnight Took a long time for them to open the Entrance doors to the hotel Staff were all friendly

A really enjoyable experience, very clean and comfortable with attentive staff and superbly located
    • Executive Room

Do not have a bad word to say.

Excellent value for money. Spotlessly clean with really comfortable bed. Very friendly and helpful staff. Breakfast was excellent. Exceeded our expectations.

Very pleased with our stay and would and will recommend.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Not much we didn’t like , but would have liked a bit more choice on the menu , particularly vegetarian as not a lot of choice there .

The staff are very helpful and pleasant. Location was great, it was a good place to stay and looking forward to staying again.

Very pleased with room and would stay again, but probably not for more than 1 night due to the noise
    • Double Room - Disability Access

The only negative thing was the noise. Very very loud slamming of doors on the ground floor. The hotel was very busy but surely there could be a soft close function on the doors!

-Good free parking -Staff helpful and friendly -Room and it’s bathroom very clean with comfy bed. Had iron, hairdryer and good tv also. Checkout is 12, which is brilliant! - Didn’t have breakfast or drinks so can’t comment

Awful
    • Executive Room

The tolilet was blocked, they gave us a standard room instead of an excecutive room which we paid for and didn’t tell us it was a standard room. And towels were dirty.

The shower was nice

Good night sleep with friendly staff and good food.
    • Executive Double Room

Decor looking dated and needs updating when compared to other hotels I’ve stayed in, both holiday inn and other similar hotels. Had a lovely stay so nothing to complain about, clean room with friendly staff and nice food.

Staff and location of hotel and also next to services for fuel and food too

good stay other than the comment above. Breakfast was a redeeming factor
    • Executive Double Room

the fact there was a wedding party in progress who prevented others from relaxing at the bar. also that they were not kept to one area of the hotel thus lots of late night noise up to 0200 before we got to sleep. it would help others if a planned party like this was happening we were informed so we could go elsewhere.

comfortable rooms and to a good standard

It's fine-ish but avoid the food

My goodness, the breakfast was utterly terrible! Seriously, both days it was like offcuts from the Ikea factory had been marinated in brine until soggy, left under too-hot heat lamps for an hour and then finally served. Being British I'm usually great with such bad food but this stuff... yikes! The fact that they charge so much for it, let alone charging for it at all given the quality is astonishing. What makes it worse is due to the lousy location of the hotel (it's a hefty walk from anywhere except for two petrol stations) your food options are to consume the plated misery they serve or go to the only nearby shop, a Co-Op inside one of the aforementioned petrol stations and grab yourself a KitKat.

The staff were really helpful and the room was perfectly comfortable, just what you would expect from a HolidayInn.

Good value break.
    • Double Room - Disability Access

Can't find a fault other than our sleep was disturbed on 2nd night due to a wedding party.

Comfortable bed. Lots of parking space. Good in restaurant.

Slight let down !
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Pricing for one room for 1 night was too over priced especially when we thought we had booked the room with breakfast and upon check in they said it doesn’t include breakfast and maid us pay an extra £16 for breakfast. Also at breakfast they had hot chocolate on the menu but it turned out they didn’t actually have any. These few things ruined my birthday get away.

gorgeous room, easy check out, nice vue and good location.

Good value for bed and breakfast on a Saturday night
    • Executive Room

The car park was full, so we parked in the hotel's overflow car park which is behind a petrol station. I was a little concerned about my car's security in the location but, happily, all was ok the following morning.

Good value, decent breakfast. Staff seemed helpful - for example another resident had an ill child and staff were helpful and concerned for their welfare.

Our stay was very good, always happy to stay at a holiday inn.

Did not like the way staff hovered to take away plates etc during breakfast, gave one the feeling that they wanted to hurry up and go.

The beds were very comfortable.The staff friendly and polite.Also the food we had during our brief stay was very good.

Nice and clean, warm, comfortable and welcoming environment
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Breakfast on Saturday morning was awful, cooked breakfast was cold. Pastries were burnt. We could see the chef in their whites smoking, right outside to window of the restaurant. Breakfast on Sunday was fantastic, more food to offer that the day before. Everything was hot and very tasty.

Nice and clean, warm, comfortable and welcoming environment

Useful business location for access to Basingstoke and surrounding areas.

Shower flexible cable was secured with a plastic lock that made showering a frustrating experience.

Location was just where I needed to be, and parking was easy and plentiful.

it was comfortable and above my expectations for a std room

it would be difficult to fault anything apart for the cost of small bottle of water

The pleasant and helpfulness of staff excellent breakfast really could not fault the hotel it really suited me as family close by will visit again

We had a very pleasant stay.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

There was nothing that we didn't like.

The breakfast and selection was lovely. The receptionist was very helpful. I forgot a flannel and one was provided very quickly.

The bed was very cumfy, fluffy pillows.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The toilet in my room was defective ie. the flush - I had to hold the handle down for some time before it flushed.

The bed was very cumfy, fluffy pillows. Staff were polite, good food. On a whole I was very happy and will happily visit again in the future.

Excellent.. 5 mins from a wedding at Audrey’s wood hotel and 5 mins from the town

The room was rather chilly at night and we weren’t sure how to put the radiator on in the bathroom for warm towels.

. The room was great and the bed was really comfortable..

It was fine . the staff are always friendly.

I was surprised when a maid tried to enter the room at about 9.15am. I didn't hear anyone knock and I was just coming out of the bath. Not the hotels fault but unusual to find 2 police cars and a sniffer dog in the rear car park at about 9pm checking out a suspicious car that was later removed on a low loader at about 10pm.

Disappointing, disrupted and uncomfortable
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The manager asked me to email him directly after I complained about being woken by drunken guests and also the fact in the evening I waited for a reception member of staff. There was a wedding during the day and it spilled into the reception and lounge area. I felt I was intruding on their wedding celebrations when I went to the reception, wearing casual clothes.

Female evening member of staff was friendly and accommodating when I asked for items.

A brilliant stay, excellent room and facilities, and all staff we met were friendly and polite.

We found the room heating/air conditioning was a little on the warm side but we were able to turn it off so it wasn't a problem We were pleased to be able to open the windows because in other places we've stayed, you can't.

The restaurant staff were polite, friendly, attentive, helpful without being "pushy". The evening meal was good with plenty of choice, and the morning breakfast was absolutely excellent, in our opinion the food couldn't be faulted.

Great and good value
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Room was a little cold especially bathroom. An additional heater was swiftly provided though.

Great breakfast Comfy Friendly Good value 12noon check out

This was a great break away reception was friendly and...

This was a great break away reception was friendly and welcoming also receptionist accommodated me by givin me a extra quilt so we don’t Argue over quilt breakfast was great fresh also Iam super fussy eater had two types of sausages Cumberland and plain so win win very very happy more then you no great selection of fresh fruit, also good selection of juice too Slept really well as bed so comfy will use all the time when visit family

Staff were very helpful in the restaurant.
    • Executive Room

Broken tiles on bathroom floor rather spoilt an otherwise room.

Staff were very helpful in the restaurant. Rooms small but very clean and well planned out.

Served the purpose but if I stayed again it would be in an upstairs room!

I had a ground floor room and all night I had to listen to a 'tap tap tap' sound from outside my window which would have kept me awake. Thankfully I had the foresight to bring earplugs which helped a bit. Also, the banging/slamming of doors and noisy customers along the corridor was intensely annoying!

The food provided at the Forum I attended the next day were excellent! The bed was extremely comfortable Superb shower All round good facilities but carpet somewhat tired and grubby

Decent everyday hotel

location worked specifically for where I needed to get to but more generally its a bit "in teh middle of nowhere"

It was clean and well presented for a relatively dated hotel building and staff were good

Wouldn’t repeat the experience

Wasn’t impressed with the young man on reception in a filthy shirt and jacket. Not a good impression of the hotel. Disappointed with breakfast. No replenishment and no alternatives for people with food allergies.

Bed was very comfortable

Very pleasant, thank you,

The restaurant menu was uninspiring "pub grub", while more or less everything else was excellent or close to it. The voucher provided on arrival as "guest for the day" said "a drink and a snack", BUT the "snack" didn't accommodate a sandwich. So perhaps an increase in generosity regarding the interpretation of the word 'snack'?

Most things good.

very nice room, shame about the lack of sleep

Our room on the first floor was next to what looked like a linen cupboard, during the night a member of staff ( twice went to the linen cupboard ) which had a squeaky door and the staff member slammed this shut both times with no consideration to customers. Both myself and my husband lost some sleep and felt the worse for wear the next day

Our Stay was very comfortable our room was lovely, although we didn't have an evening meal the food looked very good. the staff were very pleasant when we went to breakfast

Hotel but no food
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

A small function booked at the hotel meant other guests were unable to order food, pretty much a basic function for any hotel . Avoid to prevent disappointment and hunger

Location and friendly staff

I won't be coming back
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Staff, wrongly being told information.

I had a terrible time at holiday inn. I was told wrongly by Sam the person on duty at the desk that money wouldn't be taken from my account on the 31st and it was. My account was blocked and still is. Was told it was 79£ but 109£ has still been removed from my account. Had a terrible stay and I won't be coming back. Not impressed by the way the staff handled the situation I was told by Aaron the on duty manager to borrow money off my girlfriend as I was stuck in basingstoke because of being overcharged. I then called the manager on his private number and he didn't help whatsoever!

Not your problem but the noisy group of women shouting up...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Not your problem but the noisy group of women shouting up and dwon the corridor and having loud party in one of their rooms did not give a good nights sleep.

I would stay here again.

The bed was very comfortable and the breakfast selection was wonderful. The quality of the dinner menu offered was good and was cooked to perfection. The staff was friendly and courteous and check-in and check-out was fast.

for me it has always been okay since I am always booking in...

there is nothing really that could be claimed of.

for me it has always been okay since I am always booking in this hotel since 30 years, sometimes 2 x a year because of family events. It´s okay for me.

Location is a nice walk to the city centre.

Access from London to Basingstoke is a little tough but nothing against the hotel

Location is a nice walk to the city centre. The rooms are nice and the breakfast is delicious

Friendly, welcoming and comfortable hotel.

Lounge up stairs smelled of smoke? Also air conditioning made it too cold. We moved downstairs. In an accessible room, but the door and it banged into the bed so not sure my power chair would have got in easily.

Smart and welcoming reception, well lit, lots of seating areas, well appointed bedroom,comfortable bed with extra pillows. Really liked the window in the bathroom, so much easier to get up at night without having to put the light on. In an accessible room, loved the seat that I could put on the bath rail to make showering easier, it would help to have a rail higher up to help me stand up please/and to hold on so I don't fall over. No place to talk about the staff, the highlight if our stay, bar and waiting staff absolutely lovely, could not do enough for us. Thanks guys.

Breakfast was excellent, would recommend pre booking as...

Tried to get room service ( states it's available 24 hrs) no one answered

Breakfast was excellent, would recommend pre booking as it's much more expensive if you book on the morning. Friendly staff

comfy restful weekend.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

the staff were courteous and helpful. The room was clean and comfortable. Slept well. Breakfast was tasty well presented and in a lovely setting. What's not to like?

Great Staff
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

all was very good, cannot complain about anything

Dinner was great as we had extra guests and the restaurant fitted us in even though they were really busy with a large group

Lovely little to stay for the night ... just take food with you if you want anything in your room
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

When I called for room service I was told "the person that does that is off sick , so no room service " !!! No alternative was offered ... just off sick 🤷‍♀️

Was lovely and clean

Ticks all the boxes
    • Double Room - Disability Access

Comfortable room we were a late arrival but the bar was open for a nightcap followed by a good nights sleep - breakfast very good so we felt rested and satisfied for our onward journey

Would definatley stay at this hotel in the future

Having to pay for wifi.inconsiderate parking by people using the car park example over white lines not parking straight in the narrow spaces provided.

The location of the hotel.very pleasant welcome.excellent breakfast.room very comfortable and spotlessly clean.little extras in the bathroom very welcome.

Great value for money

The toilet roll holder is on the opposite side of bathroom so it's hard to reach when sat on the loo!

Room was lovely and clean and had all the things needed for a good nights sleep. Breakfast was delicious, great variety and very well prestented.

Fabulous weekend stay

A great place to stay. Beds very comfortable. The staff were both friendly and attentative. Nothing was to much trouble. Will definitely stay here again.

Staff friendly beds comfy
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

When I booked I clicked on pic of double bed . But says twin or double. Ended up with twin beds . When I asked if possible to change for a double room was told they were fully booked and sort of implied that's what I get for not booking direct . There was a function on at hotel but bar in reception area was busy took ages to get a drink

Staff friendly beds comfy

Really nice stay except for long wait to check ina
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The hotel was fully booked that night, so lots of people arriving with only one receptionist working, hence a half hour wait to check in. This is my only complaint everything else was very good.

Nice clean and comfortable hotel.

The breakfast was good
    • Executive Double Room

Having to pay for WiFi. All hotel info had to be accessed via TV which was slow and inconvenient. Drinks fridge had leaflet inside saying you would be charged for any drinks moved but you had to move bottles/CANS before you read it!

The breakfast was good

Okay Experience except for dining

Due to a function for evening dining we had to make do with a windowless room with 4 tables and close to a loud disco. No discount on the food was offered

Staff were friendly but under pressure as they had 3 functions on

Staff nice.
    • Double Room - Disability Access

No lift so with kids and push chairs loads of bags etc it was a nightmare. Also told on the Friday night they had sky sports but by Saturday it had gone. Even though I was told would be ok

Staff nice. Beds nice fairly quiet

Pleasant Stay At Holiday Inn Basingstoke

Twin beds when we were expecting a double, although it did say twin on my confirmation.

This was the first time we had stayed at a Holiday Inn. Bed was very comfortable & clean, however I was expecting a double bed not twin, as we were only staying 1 night it wasn't worth requesting a double. Very nice having a window in the bathroom, definitely a plus. Breakfast was plentiful & staff very pleasant. Would book Holiday Inn hotel again.

Very satisfactory

On one side of the wardrobe (room 102) the hangers were restricted in hanging space and the only toiletry was one small bar of soap. No shampoo or shower gel. Not a complaint because everything else was good.

Breakfast was particularly good. Quality, selection and service.

Very convenient and good value

We had booked an executive room and found that the bathroom was small and in need of a little updating.

The staff were very friendly and accomodating. The decor was stylish and very pleasant and the beds were really comfortable.

Poor Impression to European Tourists
    • Executive Room

We participated in a buffet that had been laid on for German and Dutch tourists to the UK. I was embarrassed by the quality of the food. It was cheap quality and lacking in imagination. It gave a poor impression to European visitors yet we know food has improved significantly in the UK.

The receptionist was extremely helpful an friendly.
    • Executive Double Room

The receptionist was extremely helpful an friendly. She actually lives in a Newcastle but was covering for a couple of weeks. Still seemed to know all about the area and gave us great directions for walking into town.

What I would expect for an overnight stay.

The over bath shower was very weak and the bath slippery. No shower mat in room and bath slippery so accidents could happen.

The rooms were very clean and the beds comfortable.

Very adequate for a nights stay

Quite easy to hear guests conversations and noisy doors opening and closing so not very quiet at night

Very light decor, good breakfast room had all one could need

Clean and comfy and good value staff could be better trained
    • Double Room - Disability Access

Some of hotel was dated and tired, temprature control in room was not the easiest and the staff could do with more training. Waited 5 mins for someone to come out at the bar, and the guy on reception was struggling with our booking. Breakfast staff did not listen I was offerd tea or coffee 4 times and i rejected it every single time saying I dont drink hot drinks.

Clean, comfy and good value for money.

Given twin room not a double
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

After not seeing my partner for 2 months I booked a double room specifically. Unfortunately, once we arrived we were told we had been allocated a twin room and because the hotel was full on the Saturday they couldn't change this, despite requesting a standard double room from the beginning. The staff were fantastic and did the best they could but unfortunately we had to change hotels and stay here for one night instead of two due to the lack of availability on double rooms. Would stay again but please make sure you call and confirm you need a double room so you don't have the same issue! Also, I paid in cash for the first night. However, they took the full payment of two days from my partners card (was a holding card!) and we still haven't received our refund.

Bed was comfy and room was nice for the one day we had it, was suppose to be two days.

I would definitely stay here again.

The only negative I had was that the duvets were very thick and very heavy.

We stayed here overnight to attend a family party, the room was very clean with plenty of room for a short stay. There was plenty of choice at breakfast and all looked very freshly cooked.

• Reviewed: 13 May 2017

Restaurant needs a shake up!
    • Double Room - Disability Access

The restaurant was a shambles for the evening meal. The drinks were wrong, we ordered a sweet and asked for coffee to be bought afterwards, which came within 5 mins . We refused them , we got fed up with waiting for the sweets and left. I complained to the receptionist and asked nor to be charged for the sweets and coffee . In the morning I hadn't been charged but had been charged a10% service charge!, what service.i mentioned it when checking out and to be fair they refunded it. Would not eat in the restaurant again, but would go again for the good nights sleep.

The bed was very comfortable

It did the job but I would avoid going there again

Bedside table was sticky. Generally a bit grubby and half hearted. Food was uninspired and rather expensive. Breakfast was plentiful but had been left there for ages. Coffee was watery.

The bed was very comfortable with nice sheets. Convenient location.

Nice hotel at a good price.

The room was very clean with lovely big soft fluffy towels. The staff are very friendly and the food was very nice and served quickly. Breakfast was very good too with a great selection.

• Reviewed: 4 May 2017

Professional staff, clean, modern comfortable hotel we will recommend to friends

Not hotels fault but took a wait of 35 mins for a taxi to come from basingstoke

Wonderful visit staff helpful and friendly hotel clean and bright no noise

Hotel-keeping of a high standard

Stayed here on a quiet Sunday night. Debbie on Reception was welcoming and helpful. My room was absolutely fine, with everything you expect of a modern hotel room. As the hotel was quiet, the restaurant was closed but the same menu was on offer if you were happy to dine in one of the lounge areas. I dined in a quiet lounge off Reception, which was perfectly agreeable. Lenka on the bar and food service looked after me attentively and charmingly. I liked this hotel very much and would be happy to stay again.

Good for short stay
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

A bit old fornitures in the room, but we stayed there just one night

there was a celebration in the ball room, so they gave us the further room, the most silent one

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

Evey thing was just fine great stay.

Bed did crinkle a bit.

We found every thing about this Hotel one of the best we have stayed at will book there again Staff so friendly made most welcome.

Good service from reception staff (sewing kit provided)
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Unseasonably warm weather and the duvets were therefore quite heavy and hot. But that was it, a good stay thank you.

Good service from reception staff (sewing kit provided) A quieter room was offered as a wedding reception was at the Hotel. (didn't cause us any problem)

Nice stay over night, very friendly staff on reception and bar staff.

Bathroom was a bit scruffy as the taps are shows signs of rust and toilet took a few flushes...needs a deep through clean or revamp. But not as bad as it reads. Just needs updating. You can hear people walking around their rooms. Which did cause me to have a sleepness night. No suggestion of a refund if you didn't get a good night's sleep (I know other hotels do this) but i did get some sleep...maybe because we were on the ground floor you hear much more noise from above.

Nice hot breakfast, good selection of breakfast food...ordered poached eggs looked nice but a bit watery needed to be drained a bit longer. Overall very nice stay. We were given a free upgrade to an executive room but found it small...wondered how big our room would have been if we went to the one we booked. But a very nice gesture. Overall happy with the politeness of staff..hotelrooms abit tired in places. Nicely stocked mini bar albeit pricey. Nice complementary water & chocolate bar & smellies.

Ok for a night away
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Doors very noisy, no soft close at all so every tine someone shuts a door it bangs really loudly. Not great in the middle of the night

Comfortable and clesn