Reviews of Howarth House 4 stars

315 Clifton Drive, Lytham St Annes, FY8 1HN, United Kingdom

#4 of 10 B&Bs and Inns in Lytham St Annes

• Luxury Double Room

From the moment we arrived the staff were friendly, welcoming and couldn't have been more accommodating. The room was beautiful. It was a very hot weekend but a fan was provided and it made our night very comfortable. The breakfast was perfect. A great choice and table service so you could sit and relax. We loved everything about our stay. Highly recommended!

• Luxury Double Room

Lighting in the room and bathroom. A minor thing really

Service and staff were great. Breakfast good. Relaxed atmosphere and no problem with the dog being a guest as well.

• Luxury Double Room

There was nothing to dislike - it was wonderful

Everything - the decor, the attention to detail, the staff not to mention the delicious breakfast - the best place I've stayed in around here and I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again!

• Luxury Double Room

Nothing in particular. One member of staff totally ignored us when we came down for breakfast. Not even a Good Morning

Handy location. Free parking. Quiet area. Clean room. Comfortable.

• Luxury Double Room

the shower on the top floor didn't work if anyone else was having a shower in the building . no note to say this until I came to pay and complain . then they said .ho we now if youy go for a shower now it will be ok ,that was at 10 45 am

• Luxury Single Room

Parking a little tricky but was helped by lady owner.

I have stayed before and will stay again as I love privacy. All facilities are fine, people polite and helpful. Smiles make you feel good.

• Luxury Double Room

The room we stayed in had a slay bed which was very low to the floor even for me and I'm short.

Good choice at breakfast and the fact that breakfast at the weekend is 8-11 was a bonus. Staff are always cheerful and very helpful nothing is too much trouble.

• Luxury Single Room

There is nothing to dislike here.

Love the decor, the helpful and friendly staff and the fabulous breakfast. It's such a lovely place to stay and I'd never stay anywhere else in St Anne's.

• Luxury Double Room

The room was way too hot and sleeping was impossible and the TV didn't work. The door to the bathroom was not inkeeping with the boutique style room

The staff were amazing... very accommodating and friendly. The bed was comfortable. Breakfast was catered perfectly

• Luxury Single Room

Howarth House calls itself boutique and that is a perfect description. Beautiful unique decoration and furnishings. Nothing too much trouble for the staff.

• Luxury Double Room

I loved that they were very accommodating for my dog, along side providing an excellent room and a patio area that we could choose to have our breakfast at if our dog wasnt happy being in the room on her own and weather permitting. Brilliant room, comfy bed, modern bathroom and food excellent and very friendly staff, will definitely be returning

A little noisy as room was at the front and hotel is on a busy road so lots of passing traffic

Lovely room comfy bed and good breakfast in a great location what more could you want

• Luxury Double Room

Small parking facility. Windows needing attention " needing cleaning outside" .Net curtains unfinished. Question: Who did you travel with? Don't like the expression "Partner" Could you put : spouse. In this case my wife and I were together in this hotel.

Friendliness of staff and very clean room. Warm welcoming. Interesting theme room.

• Luxury Single Room

Wouldn't change a thing about the hotel

Gorgeous Pet friendly boutique Hotel. Beautifully decorated and extremely clean. We adored the nice touch they had for our little dog. The Hotel knew a dog was coming to stay and they left a mat with a water bowl and a white long sheet marked "dog" for him. This made our welcoming more than delightful. breakfast a la carte, well varied, plentiful and the food of very good quality. Location is great , just one block to the Promenade. Parking on site. Nice cosy lounge to read papers or magazines after breakfast. Near to all facilities: pubs, restaurants, seafront and shops. Very very glad with this choice of Hotel. We would definitely go back again.

• Luxury Double Room

Wonderful boutique B&B, beautifully decorated and with a warm vibe. Rather like coming to a lovely home! Very tasty coffee in the morning. Great staff and our room was beautifully decorated. Recommend!

• Luxury Double Room

Yappy dogs left alone in room next door for several hours in the evening.

Small patio outside our room for our dog to play. Lovely breakfast. Very friendly and helpful staff. 200 yards from beautiful deserted sandy beach

• Luxury Double Room

The apartment could do with a few more hooks and draws for storage and some shelves in the wet room for toiletries etc. The kitchen could be a little more populated with crockery and cutlery.

Very clean, staff friendly and accommodation suitable for 2 adults and very comfy bed. Welcome pack was good.

• Luxury Twin Room

Carpark at the front is a little tight but to be fair there is plenty of parking nearby any way.

Very friendly hotel that represented excellent value for money. The room was comfy and despite a boiler disaster the staff had organised some heaters to keep things warm. Excellent breakfast and the owner had got up especially early as we needed to get away early. Reccommended

• Luxury Double Room

Not having a dressing table in the room to use to dry/style my hair and put on make-up etc.

Staff were extremely hospitable and couldn't do enough for us. Beautifully presented house with very tastefully decorated, super clean rooms. Excellent value for money for breakfast included. Within easy reach of lots of lovely restaurants and shops.

• Luxury Double Room

Was dissapointed with the shower but hey ho ! Not the end of the world loved the stay anyway ..

Was very clean lovley white crisp sheets .towels white fluffy plenty tea milk and sugar in the room . Love the quirky ornaments to make the the stay wonderful . will be back soon . breakfast was very appetizing filled us up for the day ..

• Luxury Double Room

nothing for me, would definitely go again if ever in the area

croissants were lovely and hot coffee just how I like it, breakfast was excellent. bed was very comfy and room nice and homely.

• Luxury Single Room

The Hotel sign could be made more visible, had problem seeing it in the dark on arrival, drove passed 3 times! Even with SATNAV it wasn't possible to drive slowly passed to find due to main road traffic behind you.

The quirky décor, you will either love it or hate it, I loved it, so nice to see a hotel with it's own character felt very homely. breakfast fabulous, full English perfect scrambled eggs! Best nights sleep I've had for ages, good amount of room for a single room. Every where very clean, staff very friendly and helpful, even with Googling info on trains. Ideal location for where I needed to visit, not much noise with traffic despite being on main road and other hotels along street. Plenty of eating places nearby, it's a small town centre but 5 mins walk away. Including M & S Food Hall and a Tesco Express.

• Luxury Double Room

minor point , the double was two single mattresses, would have been cosier with just one large mattress

The cooked breakfast was spot on. Could not fault it. Staff lovely. The room had patio and outside chairs. We could have taken our dog - there was a blanket, bowl, food mat in the room ready. Could come and go as we pleased, great location.

• Luxury Double Room

The bathroom was very small I’m a big guy but my partner is petite and she found it quite cramped.

The room was freshly decorated and Very Clean & The bed was very comfortable!

• Luxury Double Room

it was exceptionally welcoming & restful which was just what we needed. We were so warm & the room was spacious. The dog was well looked after & well provided for. Perfect location.

• Luxury Single Room

The shower flow was very disappointing and the bathroom was a little chilly. When I opened the door into the bedroom with the heating on, it soon warmed up and with the mat on the tiled floor I found it more bearable for the middle of the night visit to the loo. The shower on the first day I think was due to someone using the water elsewhere, but sadly it happened again next morning.....My husband said his was a bit better in his room.....I would also have enjoyed some marmite for my toast...;-)

the unique styled bedrooms were stunning, for a single room to be like this one was quite astonishing....I have stayed in many but none as beautiful as this....my husband also had an adjoining one and his was wonderful too...a little more space and more masculine in decor (in my opinion, hence I chose mine). The staff were very friendly with a true family feel. There was even an in house dinner party going on in the dining area on the Saturday evening. The breakfast staff were rushed off their feet and still managed to be friendly, joyous and polite. I loved the chocolates available on reception ( a little bonus for a chocoholic). Rosie and Harry the resident Old English Sheepdogs cheered me up no end...they were friendly and cuddly but also very disciplined by the manager. These are the bits that really stood out but overall it was just fab for a small hotel and many could do with learning from their example....So glad we booked here.....just remembered we both loved our brekki.....i devoured the fruit platter, cereal and toast and my husband tried scrambled egg and smoked salmon and the famous Mothers fry up....

• Luxury Double Room

Errrm ?. Nope. Can't think of anything. Love to stay again.

Friendly efficient Staff. Quality produce used at breakfast makes such a difference. Fruit platters were lovely.

Everything was great.

The welcome on arrival was lovely. The whole hotel is decorated beautifully and luxuriously. My bedroom was perfect and very relaxing. Breakfast was super - it was most delicious! I enjoyed every moment of my stay.

Met all my requirements

As stated above - very comfortable and clean. Comfy bed and great linen. Good quality toiletries provided in the bathroom. Excellent freshly prepared breakfast.

• Luxury Double Room

Staff were lovely and welcoming as was the owner - stayed here because the hotel is dog friendly and it was great that we could enjoy time with our Dog without having to get her minded so a great stay had by all.... The Breakfast was lovely and perfectly cooked to order and sausages for my dog went down a treat.

• Luxury Double Room

The room was like a sauna, we opened the windows to get fresh air but there was a very noisy disco next door and we had to shut the windows. The room was dated.

Very comfy bed. The breakfast was one of the nicest we have ever had.

Nothing i didn't like.

A very friendly, welcoming, loving place to stay. Room beautiful. Excellent breakfast best i have had. I would highly recommend a stay here.

• Luxury Double Room

BIG focus on dogs. the owner seemed to love having large dogs around and spoke to them more than us. Have to say they were quiet and well controlled by their keepers but I don't like them in the dining room you could smell one particular dog strongly under the table. Wasn't nice. Others ate in the lounge with their dogs next to them feeding them sausage. Yuk it's not what I want in the morning. Also why do these people always presume you want to pet them and talk to them. I don't! Spoilt a lovely place for us.

It was clean,comfortable warm and priced ok. Fabulous xmas decorations and nice staff.

• Luxury Single Room

Lovely welcoming, without being "over the top" lovely clean room, booked last minute for New Years Eve with local friends. Great value, and good service all round

• Luxury Double Room

Unfortunately the weather was not kind to us and the room seemed rather cold as the heating had not yet come on. An additional heater was offered with no hesitation but it would have been nicer to arrive to a warm cosy room especially as the room was so pretty. In addition we also had to mention that the shower was struggling possibly with the lack of water pressure and this made it unusable. Even due to these issues we would have no hesitation staying here again as it had so many positive points that out weighed the negatives.

House beautifully presented, courteous staff, very helpful to offer local advice.

• Luxury Single Room

The bathroom was very small toilet was so close to wall nearly impossible to use and the bed was so uncomfortable I hardly slept 2 hours a night and breakfast staff were very unfriendly.

Nice building very nice lounge

• Luxury Double Room

The lady running the hotel couldn’t have been more helpful. We were tired and stressed with twin babies and two doggies and she helped with bringing in our luggage, getting us settled and even getting toys out for the girls at breakfast - couldn’t have done more for us!

• Luxury Twin Room

Not the owners' fault, but road-works made getting there difficult on this occasion.

Friendly and helpful welcome, after a dreadful journey. Excellent as dog owners to find two large and equally friendly dogs woofing around

• Luxury Double Room

Having to walk outside to breakfast as we weren't in the main hotel. Dated decor and old tv. Pity there isn't a bar but landlady very accommodating.

Close proximity to everything. Very friendly landlady. Lounge very atmospheric for Christmas.

• Luxury Single Room

Cannot think of anything that could have been improved upon; everything was 10/10.

The guest house was exceptionally clean, warm and welcoming. Beautiful Christmas decorations were up giving a really homely feel and I sat enjoying a beer in the lounge, reading my book, feeling totally at home. It was wonderful. I needed breakfast very early as I had to be up and out so cereal, milk, a croissant and preserves and fresh juice were left for me, along with a business card for a local taxi company, as I’d mentioned I needed to call a cab. Excellent attention to detail, and very much appreciated.

• Luxury Double Room

Excellent accommodation,great breakfast everything was spotlessly clean and homely lovely friendly host and staff. The location was great thank you very much to Sue.

• Luxury Double Room

Parking is very tight, it does take many manoeuvres and a second pair of eyes to get out

I don’t think that I’ve ever encountered such accommodating, friendly, staff. The cleanliness is second to none and the overall feel of the place is nothing short of luxurious

• Luxury Double Room

Perhaps cerials fruit etc. could have been self service but it wasn't a problem.

The breakfast very nice,poached eggs by request with smoked salmon. The table could have been laid up a little easier.

• Luxury Single Room

Lovely boutique hotel, friendly staff and brilliant location. I do not normally ‘do’ breakfast but make an exception when I stay here - excellent! The single rooms are small but perfectly formed, quality bed linen and decor.

• Luxury Double Room

A very small niggle; our particular room felt a little small if we were both moving about simultaneously but this was more than compensated for by all the many plus points previously mentioned.

Everything! Lovely staff, tasteful furnishings and decor , extremely comfortable bed, delicious breakfast cooked to order, all areas immaculately clean , sweet smelling and cared for. Shops, restaurants, sea front all very close, just a couple of minutes' walk. Bus stop for Blackpool almost opposite the hotel, really convenient if not wanting to take your car. We will be back and thoroughly recommend this hotel.

It was all lovely!

We stayed in a garden room which was decorated beautifully and spotlessly clean. Lovely and warm too after a rainy day out exploring the area! The staff were lovely and friendly. The breakfast was amazing! A great choice of everything! Would definately recommend this hotel and will definately be coming back!

No downsides.

My room was cosy and comfortable and the bathroom clean and perfectly acceptable. We were made very welcome, we met the owners two dogs which were very friendly, they are dog friendly which is a bonus for dog owners, the breakfast was lovely with plenty of choice, hot food freshly cooked. Lovely long with big TV screen if you wanted it.

• Luxury Single Room

No complaints at all just a suggestion to add herbal tea bags in the room.

The room was small but enough for me decorated in lovely boutique style. Had everything I need was clean, bed was very comfy and cosy.

• Luxury Single Room

The only problem concerns Booking.com's web site, which shows the wrong location of the hotel and gives the wrong address. Re the former, the map shows the location of a similarly named ApartHotel opposite Ashton Gardens on Clifton Drive North. But the hotel is at 315 Clifton Drive South (not Clifton Drive), which is on the same road but several hundred metres south of the location shown. It's between Hardaker Court and the Bedford.

Very good, waitress-served, breakfast.

Nothing to dislike.

Our room had a very comfortable bed and lovely thick curtains. Breakfast was very good and great that we could eat anywhere between 8 a.m. and 11 a.m.

• Luxury Double Room

The room was a bit small, Bed was a bit soft for us and room not as nicely decorated as the downstairs public areas.

Lovely hotel, Very friendly staff, Fantastic breakfast.

• Luxury Single Room

Great breakfast served at 7am so perfect for business. Able to read the papers in the morning while waiting and watch some news. 100 yards from St Anne restaurants & pubs so no problem with evening meals.

• Luxury Double Room

Very limited parking, I had to park quite a bit away from the property. Room smallish, with door not being able to be opened without hitting the bed. Quirky/weird decor.

Comfortable bed, clean room and good breakfast.

• Luxury Single Room

My mattress could have done with a bed topper on but fairly comfortable.

The breakfast was cooked to order and very hot. The room was very clean and nicely decorated. All in all very nice hotel and friendly staff. I hope to visit again.

• Luxury Single Room

Hmm this question isn't so easy - there wasn't anything I didn't like other than the odd squeaky floorboard - hardly a deal-breaker!

As a solo traveller I particularly liked the single 'sleigh' style bed which looked fabulous and was very, very comfy. More generally it's just a nice place to stay; clean, comfortable, relaxed, and with a good friendly vibe.

• Luxury Double Room

Couldn't fault it. Perfect for me and my 4 year old. Especially with the little garden garden. Staff were friendly and helpful. We will definitely be coming back.

• Luxury Double Room

Well we would have liked a sea view (only joking). Can't complain about anything at all.

Excellent quality all round. Our room was superbly decorated, the quality of the furnishings was top class and it was very refreshing to have "Luxury" towels. We would have liked a room with a bath but we did book at the last minute so not a problem. The breakfast was excellent everything on offer and freshly cooked. One of the best we have stayed in, in St Anne's.

• Luxury Single Room

The bedroom was tiny and I had booked a room specifically as it said it had a bath - alas, I got a shower cubicle only! Then, the shower didn't actually work so had to use the owners personal one. Although, she was very accommodating and readily let me use her own personal facilities, it wasn't great having to parade my smalls and toiletries through the breakfast area while guests were eating - wearing my pajamas! Hope they get it fixed.

Very quirky with a homely feel.

• Reviewed: 20 August 2017

• Luxury Double Room

no privacy when sitting out on balcony as occupants of room next door were also on the balcony constantly talking on her phone and smoking. There is no boundary between the balcony seating area.

Décor was pleasing and property was full of character unlike most modern or contemporary accommodation. Good breakfast Warm and Welcoming

• Luxury Single Room

Shower was only available in super hot or scolding. Took far too long to find a temperature that would not burn off your skin. Parking extremely tight only really parks 4-5. The on road parking was ok but not ideal.

• Luxury Twin Room

There is nothing not to like at this hotel it's the best in the North West

Absolutely fabulous hotel the best in Lytham St Annes, stayed several times and it's perfect every time

• Luxury Single Room

Nothing that I didn't like. I would probably book a bigger room if I was staying there again but for one night the single rooms were fine. Due to the style of the building the stairs are quite steep so anyone who isn't keen on stairs would do well to ask for a first floor room.

Owner and staff very helpful and friendly.

• Luxury Double Room

Really great family run hotel. Great to have longer breakfast times - no need to rush to get breakfast!! Couldn't do enough for us - even gave me a heat pad for my sore back!! Will definitely be staying again when next in the North West.

• Luxury Single Room

The shower wasn't working properly but the owner was so helpful and said I could use shower in one of th me vacant rooms

Bed was really comfortable and the room was really clean and smelt really nice,very cosy and to in wall in room with lots of channels and free wi do,staff really friendly and helpful would definitely stay again

• Luxury Single Room

Wouldn't change a thing about the hotel but I unfortunately arrived at the same time as the carnival, leading to road closures and much confusion, I rang the hotel and they very kindly and patiently talked me in!

The staff were very welcoming, important for a lone traveller. The hotel was really pretty and my room though small was very comfortable.

• Luxury Single Room

The single room is very small but adequate for a nights stop.

The staff were very helpful and friendly and went out of their way to make us feel welcome.

• Luxury Single Room

A number of guests dogs were visible on the evening and in the morning. The shower pressure wasn't sufficient and notified manager of this on checking out

Central location, breakfast very comprehensive and substantial...made to order. Fruit platter chilled.

• Luxury Double Room

Shower kept fluctuating between hot and cold, Room 10 was certainly not "luxury" A bit cramped. A lighter bedspread would have been useful in the summer , as there was no where to store it. Suitcases on top of wardrobe were a nuisance although they were only there as decoration,we needed the space to put our own suitcases.

Easy check in, excellent breakfast, lovely lounge , very comfortable bed, super towels and spotlessly clean bathroom

• Luxury Double Room

We were booked into a luxury double room with dressing room which suggested at least a reasonable amount of room. This was definitely not the case. The room did not have a dressing room nor even a luggage rack and the outlook from the window was very poor over the backs of adjoining properties and flat roves. There was only one chair to sit in and was far too close to the bed for comfort. Also when opening the door it came within a couple of inches of the bed. The room was not a luxury one in any way although it was nicely decorated and certainly clean. All in all quite disappointing and even the directions we were given suggested the hotel was opposite Ashton Gardens which was incorrect and was about half a mile away.

Good Staff.

• Luxury Double Room

Lovely clean hotel. Very friendly and helpful. Stayed 3 nights and tried all of the recommended top 3 restaurants which were all excellent. Olive tree Greek. Tigua Italian and zen Cantonese. Excellent location at st Anne's for bars shops restaurants and beach. Would stop again.

• Luxury Double Room

Pressure kept dropping on the shower going cold sorry did not mention this when we checked out

Room well decorated very quaint lovely lounge staff very helpful arrived early they got our room ready while we went for coffee We were in St Anne's due to family problems but the stay here made the situation feel a little better thank you

• Reviewed: 2 June 2017

• Luxury Family Room

Car parking, said it had parking but only had 6 spaces.husband was not happy

Love the hotel and staff, room lovely and clean but a little small, nice that grandchildren had a joining room. Lovely breakfast.staff was brilliant couldn't do enough for you,nice place to walk out and have dinner and a drink,would go back except for parking

Way too much stuff dotted around for my taste, no lift, less able visitors would struggle with stairs especially to top floor.

Staff very friendly, cooked breakfast was exceptionally good. Rooms very clean, the fluffy towels were so good.

• Luxury Double Room

Nothing We liked everything about the stay

Very friendly and helpful staff who brought breakfast to our room cheerfully All on a level no steps which was great for my husband Lovely enclosed patio to sit in which was great for the dog

• Reviewed: 10 May 2017

• Luxury Double Room

We booked a standard double room which was very small and if I was returning I would consider booking a larger room.

The location was excellent and close to all amenities. The hotel was intimate and quirky. The hotel was spotless. The staff were friendly and the breakfast was well cooked and quality ingredients were used. The breakfast service involved full service which was a pleasant change from the self service favoured by many hotels.Again the staff were professional and friendly and the overall atmosphere was comfortable and you felt at ease. The bed was comfy and the room was decorated in a quirky, individual style. The hotel does not the facilities of larger hotels such as a bar, however, it offers a more personal and intimate experience and you are within walking distance of local restaurants and bars. We visit the area frequently and we would book this hotel again.

Browse Howarth House traveller photo gallery