Reviews of Hunters Lodge Hotel 3 stars

Sydney Road, Crewe, CW1 5LU, United Kingdom

#4 of 15 hotels in Crewe

Bed could of been bigger..

Location was great not to far from motorway...staff were very polite and helpful... Food was lovely... room was very clean, with pleasant country views..

The staff are always very friendly and helpful at Hunters Lodge nothing too much trouble always stay there when working in the area...Already booked again.

We went for a meal at approx. 6.00pm and nearly all the tables were reserved. There didn't seem to be many tables in bar area considering the number of guests the hotel can cater for. However do not want this to distract from a super stay.

Staff were very pleasant and helpful.. Rooms were very clean and roomy. Grounds very nice.

Door security into Accommodation block should be room key swipe released access. A toilet brush missing in room.

Very clean. Full English breakfast buffet on a Sunday morning. The best way to refuel.

The room we had was on the second floor, the floorboards everywhere creaked so we were awoken constantly through the night based on this we wouldn’t stay there again. A real shame as lovely hotel😟

The place was lovely and in s lovely setting

Nothing can’t get any better than it was so beautiful

Everything staff were so amazing owner was so lovely best place we have ever been we want to plan our biggest day of our lives here 100% amazing made me feel so special for my birthday can not fault one thing all staff went that little extra way for us didn’t need to ask for anything if we did it was there within seconds best place we have ever been the food is amazing

We have stayed here 15 years ago. Our son and daughter in law had their wedding reception there. It was a lovely stay. As we were to be in that area again we chose the Hunters Lodge again. As before we enjoyed our stay.

Massive roadworks near the hotel meant a 20 min detour through Center of Crewe to get from M6 to the hotel.

Decent functional hotel which provided a good overnight stay for a business trip. Good breakfast!

The food in the restaurant (not the breakfast) was very poor. The burger I ordered was very overcooked. For this reason and this alone we won't dine there again but we will most certainly stay at Hunters Lodge again, we'll just eat out or there's always a Dominoes.

Nice and close to Oulton Park circuit and also Crewe centre. The staff are very accommodating.

Room way too hot. Bed way too soft. Room carpet not clean. Room door very noisy to close (apologies to our neighbours!) Room 144 needs redecorating.

Receptionist - nothing too much trouble. Kind and friendly.

Only negative was given a room on ground floor annex and needed to sleep with Windows open as a warm night. Would have felt safer if Windows had locks on so couldn't be opened.

Quite and comfortable hotel with bar and resteraunt plenty of parking.

The fact that our room was right next to some sort of pumping station and was very loud resulting in no sleep what so ever. When complained in the morning receptionist was very unhelpful and advised some people had complained previously but they didn’t think it was a problem. Refused for my husband to speak to the deputy manager !

Staff and food

Bed was too hard (room 201) woke up with lower back ache. Cooked breakfast wasn't very nice, it seemed to be overcooked, I went for for breakfast at 9am. Overpriced for a mid-week stay.

Otherwise a lovely hotel with friendly staff, I've stayed here a few times.

The room was quite small and functional, but comfortable and quiet. If it had not have been raining it would have been nice to take a walk in the countryside, if that had been possible. The grounds of the hotel were very good. Breakfast was good - nothing exceptional but just fine.

• Twin Room with Private Bathroom

Checking in- the receptionist was on the phone for a long time so we had to wait. Another staff member told us brusquely to continue waiting as she couldn't check us in. Not a good beginning.

Quiet room. Good evening meal.

A single bed in a double room, made no sense, spend less on TV's and more on the bed. The kitchen had no interest in what they cooked, for dinner I had a freshly made soup, absolutely tasteless, followed by Fish & Chips with mushy peas, chip were awful, fish left a tainted taste and mushy peas were awful, breakfast was served with cold mushrooms, snotty poached eggs, with a bit of effort they could do so well.

I love the staff and the arrival greeting, restaurant staff were very helpful.

Previous occupant had obviously been smoking in the room. Room smelled of smoke. Reported it to reception staff but was not offered any options to correct the issue, cleaning or alternative room. The cleaner told me the next morning, as I was leaving, that there was just a note in the 'cleaning book'.

Good parking. facilities generally good - gym, bar, restaurant.

Great value for money, fantastic friendly staff, lovely surrounds, very clean, comfortable. We have stayed in a lot of hotels over the years, and this one is up there as one of the best small hotels we have stayed in. Highly recommended.

Car parking could have been closer to the bedroom block (only for wheelchair access), but under the circumstances not possible and we managed. On a personal note the wheelchair access was awkward where doors had to be pulled outwards, but not impossible and doors wide enough.

The hotel was reasonably close to where we needed to be, staff very helpful (my husband is generally in a wheelchair), room cosy and food very good. Would definitely stay again or visit for a meal.

Bedroom was slightly dated and bed was small but impeccably clean.

Lovely location very peaceful and quiet and easy to find from the motorway. Hotel impeccably clean, cosy and staff very helpful and friendly. Food excellent. Would definitely return.

Staff in the bar not particularly friendly I am afraid. They sounded & looked too serious to me though the food & drinks were excellent. A smile wouldn’t go amiss I think!

Breakfast & dinner. Some of the staff not very friendly I am afraid. Very happy with gesture made by reception when you couldn’t get a taxi for me a guy called Ant ( I think) offered to take me to my work place. Very very impressed by this & please pat him & receptionist on shoulder for me

• Twin Room with Private Bathroom

Staff working around you while having a drink. Clearing up and making you feel you were in the way when it's a hotel bar. Made you feel uncomfortable.

The 2 bar staff during the function were great. Plenty of room for function. No trouble from other party guests every looked liked they enjoyed themselves.

Some of the doors did not have soft closers and did bang shut but did not cause too much of an issue

Everything was excellent, the room was huge with a great view across the fields, shower hot and powerful. Meal at night was great as was the breakfast, staff friendly and helpful, the place was spotlessly clean and well kept I would certainly come again.

The stuff were super kind I was sick and they were very helpful bringing me everything I needed. The room and bathroom were very clean and comfy, fell at home

Maybe some oraganised entertainment. Not much to do in the night apart from eating your evening meal.

Hotel, rooms, staff, area is lovely. Great for a nice quiet relaxed break. This is our 2nd trip here and we will go again.

• Twin Room with Private Bathroom

The radiator in the room was not working and the first night we were cold. It was corrected for the second night and the room was then nice and warm

The staff could not do enough to help whenever they were asked to do anything

Bar was a little overpriced

A lovely hotel ,which is just off a main road although you would'nt know it was there at all. Crew isn't the prettiest town by any stretch of the imagination,but at this hotel you could be anywhere at all.

Net curtains would be better as it was a ground floor room. The lighting in the bathroom is not very good. Wrong position I think.

Nice choice on breakfast menu. Plenty of space in the room.

I got lost the room signage could be made easir for those of us who have one glass to many in the amazing bar

It was so quiet and the views from the rooms are wonderful in the morning there where rabbits playing in the fields 😍

Decor in the bedroom was a bit tired and could do with upgrading.

Good location for our trip which was from Scotland to Oxford so a useful stopping off point to break the journey. Good toiletries in the bathroom.

Staff great and breakfast buffet excellent, all the cooked, fresh melon, pineapple etc yoghurts, croissants, and the bar food in the evening great too... The rooms are large and the beds really comfortable, the shower one of the best at a hotel - praise from us as we stay circa 40 weeks a year at hotels around the country on business....

Great value for money, rooms are good with tea making facilities. Breakfast was lovely. Staff friendly. Big car park. Restaurant food on site which was also really good.

There was nothing I particularly disliked about my stay. It's just making me write something in the negative box.

Excellent value for money, very clean and good breakfast. All the staff were helpful and very friendly. In the room was a really good television. The tea coffee and bathroom supplies were also good.

Decor a little old fashioned

Excellent breakfast with a speedy service and all freshly cooked to order. Rooms very cosy and warm some with new bathrooms

The electric cut out in the room about midnight and going to the loo in the night was very dangerous in the morning when the maintenance man arrived, he switched the trip on and said it was alright but in my experience it blew for a reason so I could not sleep.

The breakfast was good

There was a wedding on so had to walk round the front and it was pouring down

Comfy bed.. lovely room.. staff very attentive... just didn't sleep as people rowing which when I reported it to staff they did deal with the people..

Pillows a bit uncomfortable but I'm being incredibly picky now.

Great breakfast and dinner in main bar. Staff extremely friendly and helpful. Excellent value for money.

very dated decor. I was put on a ground floor which generally isn't recommended for lone female travellers. Not the warmest welcome when I arrived, but service was swift and polite

breakfast was good and the cooked elements were cooked to order and good.

Used to larger than double bed. Shower space was tight. Breakfast could have been hotter.

Bedroom was good, with view over fields. Peaceful night (room 109). Staff pleasant. Outdoor planters are great.

I needed somewhere to stay for work. This is not a five star hotel. But it deserves 10/10. Location great. parking great. Staff at breakfast basically couldn't be more welcoming. Room small and clean. All this and I paid 40 pounds for a clean single room. I haven't paid so little in years. Very,very good value for money. Will be going back. Would have happily paid more. Clean functional and yet welcoming and homely. Highly recommend.

Had to ask for second bath towel and hand towel which was a ripped . When it was a double room booked

The receptionist found us another room upstairs. Because initially we were given a ground floor room overlooking a seating area for guests with no blinds or nets to screen the window

Nice Hotel, and very well priced. Restaurant and bar was great, enjoyed a nice meal and a few drink after visiting Oulton Park race track. Would stay again.

I had no issues at all. Booked a room at a great rate with 'no meal' status as I was visiting friends & joined them for breakfast or made an early start travelling round the area. Didn't eat in the restaurant as went out for dinner with friends so can't comment on the food on offer.

Location really quiet. Function was on over the weekend but far enough away not to intrude. Helpful & friendly staff. Had a single room, facilities great, ensuite pristine which was excellent (hate grotty bathrooms!)

2 weddings so had to dine in bar, service poor and slow. Had to find someone to take our order after waiting 30 minutes, waited further 45 minutes for mains to arrive. Waitress not too pleased that we asked when we could expect our meals and told us they were busy with weddings - not our problem! Same again with desserts. Took over 3 hours for 2 courses. wedding guests continually trooping through the bar and bumping tables. Not the relaxing evening we had planned.

Room spacious, clean, comfortable.

• Twin Room with Private Bathroom

Location is best suited to drivers. Not convenient for public transport and limited amenities within walking distance. Nearest pub is drinks only. Hotel restaurant prices were expensive (as is often the case), so did not try.

Clean, comfortable rooms. Curtains were effective at blocking out light. Big carpark, easy to find when driving. Quiet - room looked out onto a field. free, reliable wifi. Good size wardrobe in room. Nice to be given two keys for each room, so each person could have their own key. Attractive building/site - nice courtyard garden. The gym was sufficient for a decent workout and could access using room keycard.

There was a noise outside our window which was annoying, especially vas we would line to have had the window open, as it was warm

It was a convenient place to stay on our way home to Somerset from the Lake District

• Twin Room with Private Bathroom

Arriving late with my young daughter I discovered I had accidentally booked the wrong night. The staff were fantastic they sorted it out straight away and we able to offer us another room. All the staff we came across were incredibly friendly and helpful to both myself and my daughter, particularly in the restaurant accommodating late in the evening all my daughters allergies requirements. To top it off we were going to a festival the next day but road closures meant we had to travel a different route the staff very kindly printed out a map and directions for us. I would stay at the Hunters Lodge Hotel anytime and would recommend it to all.

We have no negative comments to make.

The meals we had while we here were excellent. The room was comfortable and clean although with a wheelchair it was a little tricky getting in and out of the building and room. Could I suggest doorstops of some kind otherwise there were no other problems.

There was a wedding reception the night that I stayed. The function finished at a reasonable time, but people talking in the car park continued for some time and delayed my getting to sleep. This seems a popular venue for functions, so it might not be suitable if you want an early night.k

Very well furnished and decorated room. I particularly appreciated the large,thick towels.

The only downside was that there was a wedding party and a birthday party in the main building (standard for a mid August stay)...but we could hear the music and the bass from the wedding party until quite late. I'm not sure what could have been done about this though.

We unfortunately didn't eat in the restaurant but it did look lovely, the reason only being that we went in to Crewe to Chiquitos for my partners birthday and then got up too late the next morning! The room was great, everything was perfect inside. We especially liked how the building and surrounding parts to the hotel were lit up at night, it was beautiful.

There was a wedding/50th party that night and it was noisy until after 4am with doors slamming, music playing and drunks shouting on my corridor. It wasn't clear from previous reviews that it's clearly a noisy and popular local venue for parties at weekends and I wouldn't have booked had I realized. It was a miserable experience - I had been at a wedding myself but I still wanted a decent night's sleep at my hotel and I didn't get one here.

The accommodation was clean and comfortable and reasonably priced. The wifi is good.

Absolutely no complaints.

The room was spacious and the view over the fields in the back were beautiful. In the mornings we saw rabbits hopping through the fields and the evening sky was lovely. Everything was great. It was more than we even expected. Weddings were taking place while we were there in a private reception room. However, guests filtered into the pub making the atmosphere festive.

Staff were very friendly, room very clean and comfortable. Nice surroundings. Our room 129 was at back of lodge so heard no noise from wedding reception.

WiFi could have been better. It was on for 20 minutes at a time.

The pan fried mushrooms were very excellent. Keep that flavour, would eat it every day.

Nothing. It met our needs perfectly.

The room was clean and tidy and the bed was very comfortable. The view was amazing looking over country side. It was very peaceful.

• Twin Room with Private Bathroom

Everything was very clean, staff very helpful and cheery. Good value for money. Our only negative comment is that the shower tray was slippery and shower needs a bar to hold on to, otherwise we enjoyed our stay very much.

• Twin Room with Private Bathroom

We got a good deal for our double room through booking.com, discounted to £52 inc breakfast. The staff were very friendly and pleasant, the room was spacious, well-appointed and clean, the food was good, parking easy. Would stay again if needed to be in the area.

No 'non slip mat' in the bath and I slipped getting out of the bath, bruising my leg quite badly. Could do with net curtains at the window. I was in room 141 on the ground floor, which looks out onto a field, so thought it would be fine to have the curtains open when I was getting ready, as there was no one likely to see in. That was until some maintenance men drove past in the morning, not sure who was more alarmed!!!

Very pleasant and helpful staff. Great food. Quiet location

Real glasses in bathroom rather than flimsy plastic.

Excellent pub grub in the bar. Very friendly and efficient staff. Value for money. Rural setting but close to Crewe.

Hotel advertises as "Set in 16 acres of picturesque gardens and open countryside" which is why I booked. There is a large car park area of tarmac with fenced off grass areas around and a fir tree edged area at one end of the car park that is about 100metres by 20metres. There are no picturesque gardens and even the staff were unaware of 16 acres....

Good size room (big enough for a king size bed so surprised it was only a double) and clean. Crewe is a surprisingly attractive town.

The room would benefit from having black out curtains., especially in the summer months.

Beautiful hotel, lots of character, spotless room, delicious homemade food. Friendly, helpful staff. Breakfast good and well presented.

Great breakfast,, great staff - didn't know evening meal was booked in so it would have been better to have made that clearer on the booking.com website as ended up paying from something we didn't want or need!

Noise from the room next to us TV on loud in middle of the night in and out of room all night two older people that should have known better .

2nd time staying at this hotel friendly staff good breakfast, clean rooms always enjoy our stay.

There was no air conditioning in the room and it was an extremely hot day. There was no black out lining on the curtains, so I was woken up by the sunrise.

The staff were really friendly and helpful. They responded very well to all my queries / requirements. The location and grounds were beautiful. The scrambled eggs and smoked salmon for breakfast was delicious. The room was quiet.

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

It was all fine !

Stayed one night en route to a cycling holiday in Scotland. Hotel is on eastern outskirts of Crewe surrounded by fields about 1.5 miles from the railway station. Had a good sized, reasonably appointed room in what appeared to be the stables portion of the original property. Had lunch, dinner and breakfast there and all three meals were excellent and well priced. Real ale in the bar - most important !

water pressure was too high which meant that when ever anyone in any nearby room turned the tap on there was a very loud hissing noise that caused me to wake many times during the night.

When we got there the place was heaving with a rowdy wedding. Them's the breaks I guess on a summer Saturday and for the price we paid it was OK. The car park was in chaos though with people being blocked in and all sorts. The walls were also pretty thin which meant when the couple next door came back at 02.30 I was woken up fortunately they didn't last long.

You get what you pay for, it's clean, pretty cheap, very comfortable bed. We had an end room looking over the fields, which was nice, and breakfast wasn't bad apart from the mystery meat sausages.

To of been warned of 2 weddings happening there on the Saturday of my stay, it was rather loud in the early hour's and I was trying to sleep as I had a very long and early journey home. Also for the price of the room to of had a breakfast.

Hotel was set in lovely surroundings

• Reviewed: 2 June 2017

Steep stairs to first floor. No sunshine. Huge price rise when I needed to extend by two days (family bereavement) as price much higher on week days than weekends

Very clean, very comfortable, gorgeous wild flower-filled meadow outside

• Reviewed: 1 June 2017

Just strange why the room tariff was different for each day ! Why was the first day more expensive than the 2nd? as the standard of service offered was the same ?

The attention to detail and the very competent and friendly staff together with some excellent food and good "old fashioned" customer service made my stay very enjoyable particularly as it was at a time of bereavement and a friends funeral. The reception staff particularly dealt proficiently with all my additional requests in a very courteous and competent manner. The room and all areas were clean and comfortable and the meals were to be highly recommended .

• Reviewed: 1 June 2017

After checking out I realised I left an expensive electric toothbrush in the room which I was told wasn't found. May suggest that rooms aren't always cleaned properly?

My husband and myself stayed for one night at The Hunters Lodge, excellent location for where we needed to be. The rooms were comfortable although could do with a little modernisation, on saying that the bathroom was beautiful with an excellent walk in shower. All the staff were brilliant, very efficient and friendly. The food was excellent and there was plenty of choice both for evening meal and breakfast. Would recommend to friends and would definitely stay there again .

Would like air conditioning.

Breakfast was excellent room comfy and clean. View was lovely on to fields. If I was to say one thing it was the room had no air conditioning and we arrived on Friday which was one of our hottest days/nights temp 28 centigrade.

• Reviewed: 26 May 2017

The running machine in the gym was faulty. I informed the reception staff

Had a water leak in the bathroom in my original room. So they moved me straight away and upgraded me to the bridal suite! Didn't have a bride I'm afraid. Staff were great. Very helpful.

The staff are friendly and helpful, nothing is too much trouble. The restaurant provides a very good selection of well cooked/presented food.