Reviews of Hylands 3 stars

307 Queens Rd, Beeston, Nottingham, NG9 1JB, United Kingdom

#7 of 17 B&Bs and Inns in Nottingham

Great Friendly welcome on arrival. Room was clean and had everything I needed, cracking nights sleep in a very comfortable bed. All the Staff at Hylands are extremely welcoming and make you feel like your at home. The 2 Ladies that serve breakfast start your day with a real smile, nothing is too much trouble for them and their singing puts a smile on your face. Thoroughly recommend Hylands to anyone.

My daughter says they had the best scrambled eggs she has ever eaten. The neighborhood is lovely and has a fantastic pub/ restaurant walking distance down the road. Large rooms and comfortable lounge and dining area. Plenty of off-street parking and very friendly staff.

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Squeaky floorboards but was manageable.

This was a lovely guest house, no problems. The bed was very comfortable and clean. I would happily stay there again. Thank you.

• Family Room

Decor and facilities in many rooms quite dated and in need of refresh. Bathroom good also be updated. Bed and pillows very hard.

Staff very friendly and very helpful. Good location for Beeston area. Free parking and free WiFi.

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Walking up the stairs of the annexe with luggage. Restricted Space and stairs were steep. Nothing more!

Superb Breakfast. Staff went all out to feed you substantial hot breakfast with enough choice to suit the discerning traveller. Excellent value and quality service with a smile! Good parking available on and within the complex. Main hotel area seating and a quiet place to watch tv. Comfortable atmosphere. A very homely feel. Good bus service to the city also 10 minute walk to the tram station. Airport the other direction, access to airport by both.

The bathroom was very clean and spacious but the draining of the bath was very slow. Also a shower with a flexible showerhead would be much more convenient. Also it would be better if there were more hooks in the bathroom for hanging clothes and bath towels.

The room was spacious and comfortable. There's a delightful garden outside the front and side of the building with a good variety of plants. The breakfast room was bright and pleasant.

The kettle in my room didn't remain switched on so I had to persuade it to work. Not all the lighting was in working order.

The staff were very welcoming and helpful upon checking in and out. My room was excellent except for a couple of things. Sadly I didn't get chance to sample the breakfast.

As an older person, I would have preferred the lights in the room to have been a bit brighter to make reading easier.

The staff were brilliant, the room was clean and comfortable, the breakfast was good and the service friendly and super efficient.

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

It was the hottest weekend of the year so far yet the heating was on in the room I used and I couldn't turn it off.

The staff were very friendly, welcoming and helpful.

Thicker curtains might have allowed me to sleep a bit longer.

The lounge area was comfortable and I noted but didn't benefit from the fact that patrons were allowed to use the dining area to eat their own food.

Shower pressure ok but shower head a bit small. Appreciate that larger shower head would mean less pressure

Friendliness of staff. Bed was comfortable. Italian restaurant recommended was within easy walking distance with a reasonable choice of feed at a fair price

• Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

Musty odour to room but cleared up when heating came on at night.

Pleasant stay with good breakfast in the morning. Easy access into Nottingham city centre via train station at bottom of road. Superb beer choice at the Victoria next to train station.

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

I had to park on the street as the car park was full. No problem with the car though.

For the price, the Hylands is exactly what you would expect. The bed was comfortable, the shower in the shared bathroom was hot and the breakfast was ample. Yes, the furnishing is somewhat dated. Yes, the floorboards creak. No, it isn't like staying in a modern chain hotel. But if you just want a decent bed for the night and friendly staff, then the Hylands is great value.

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Shearing a bathroom and when it was breakfast time you had to leave the building and walk to the other building for your breakfast.

Off road parking it was really nice and quiet.

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

There was no hot water, not intentional, and bedroom door very difficult to lock and unlock because door didn't fit well. Also, tinned tomatoes at breakfast. If these three things were sorted I would definitely give Hylands a higher rating. I was directed to local restaurant but couldn't find it

The sitting rooms were lovely, and the bedroom and bathroom were very clean with a pretty quilt on the bed.

Shower a little small (and a little cool on our last day). Minor point.

Clean, well appointed, non corporate, huge comfy bed, three large lounge areas, dog friendly and free parking area. The owner and staff were outstanding. Efficient, friendly, helpful and welcoming.

Room arrangement was a bit odd and the shower hard to operate. Shower head was a sprinkler fixed to the ceiling, which was a bit weird.

Breakfast was pretty good and the serving staff friendly.

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Cold room. Heating went off before midnight and room was very cold even on a relatively mild night. No extractor fan in toilet. Stained towels provided! Tatty decor.

Friendly, helpful staff. Good location for train station.

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Lack of confirmation re pet on Booking.com website - I had to telephone the hotel to make sure it was ok and that they were expecting our dog. Slightly strange, but towards the end of our stay we were told that the pet should be accompanied in the room at all times - kind of defeats the object as wouldn't be able to go out for dinner unless separately, even to dining room for breakfast or go to the event which was the reason for the trip in the first place. We know our dog is fine to be left, does not get stressed and does not bark. We were surprised by that statement.

Everything good - property a bit dated but nevertheless clean, comfortable and functional. Breakfast good, staff friendly and helpful.

The rooms were a bit tired but clean and warm. Very friendly staff. Good breakfast. Good location for transport train and bus close by. Overall very good V.F.M.

• Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

Car parking was tight in spaces, awkward with long car although staff very helpful with options.

Older building but comfortable. Good location fot our needs (university) - easy drive and walkable although quite a long walk. Breakfast good but no dinner menu offered.

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

The Hotel is situated on a main road into Nottingham and I am not used to traffic noise at night - so I found it a bit noisy but it was my own fault as the staff informed me on leaving I could have been easily moved to another room. So it was my fault really for not speaking up - lesson learnt.

I stayed at Hylands over the Easter weekend and found the staff were absolutely friendly and helpful - made you really welcome. Although some reviewers thought the premises were a bit dated I found them really homely and comfortable and above all spotlessly clean. It was fantastic value for money - with a good breakfast to start the day. My son had stayed there and recommended it and I would certainly recommend it as well. I will certainly stay there again.

There was nothing we disliked.

The staff were excellent, friendly, efficient, and welcoming. Although the hotel is somewhat dated, it is comfortable. The beds were comfortable. The breakfast was excellent and the ladies serving us were very friendly and accommodating.

• Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

We had to travel to find somewhere to eat - there is a pub in walking distance but tables needed to be booked, no chance of walking in. The shower would benefit from updating.

The staff were very friendly and the facilities humble and simple but clean and well cared for.

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

As ever, the staff were very friendly: it has become the hotel where everyone knows, if not my name, my breakfast preferences! I did some work in the lounge, where the wifi was great, and which was super-comfy. Slept like a log in a cosy room: really set me up for my working week.

We both ordered a full english breakfast, , having to do a lot more travelling that day, we thought it would fill us up, but it was served on side plates barely big enough for the toast, but as I say the food was nice and the staff were very pleasant. the place was clean.

The room was dated, but had a Jacuzzi, which we were unable to turn off once set in motion. there was a vibrating bed which was excellent for my partner as he has sciatica and we'd spent hours on buses and was playing him up... it was clean and the staff that we saw were pleasant. But we didn't arrive until 10.30 pm, But we were called at around 10pm to see if we were still arriving. as the lady was leaving at 11, and wanted to know if we would be there by then. The breakfast was good quality, but there was not much of it. I liked the eclectic collection of pictures and ornaments. The location was quiet considering it was on a busy road, there was not alot of noise from the traffic. It was good for bus routes. Easily accesable. I would visit again.... x

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Lovely place to stay, with lovely people and facilities. Also in a very handy location with free parking. A big thank you from www.shacklefordpianos.com

• Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

We wanted a basic B&B as we were only staying one night and this hotel suited us fine. The staff are very friendly. We had a great choice for breakfast which was first class. The room was very clean and we had a good nights sleep.

Everything was fine!

It was a comfortable room, everything we needed for a weekend stay. The ladies at breakfast were lovely, friendly and helpful. A good breakfast!

• Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

On a main road, but it was easy to ignore the noise after a few minutes.

Staff were particularly helpful. The set up (Hotel over a couple of different buildings) was a good, quirky idea.

Hard to find the signs a obstructed by a hedge and tree. YOU DO NOT HAVE TIME TO LOOK ABOUT AS IT IS AVERY BUSY JUNCTION

This was a very good short stay eccelent staff and breakfast .Large comfy room and bed.Good location nice pub down the street menu changes all the time . A nice walk to the cannal and river A good location to visit Nottingham and surrounding area transport very good . Will stay here again thank you.

A good B&B experience. 5 to 6 minutes walk from Beeston Train station. We checked in around 10:00pm, receptionist was nice. We enjoyed our nights there.

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Wonderful. I am very satisfied with this Hotel. It is very close to one of the UoN campuses. I had also a great breakfast and the staff was very nice and helpfull!

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

The rooms are superficial clean, but at closer inspection need a better clean. Most rooms I stayed in look a bit tired and would benefit from a revamp.

Perfect location for me where I need to be. The bed is comfy, the room warm. I always find a place to park on site. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Will happily return.

The breakfast is served as a child’s portion on a child’s plate. The room was terrible with a wet room that didn’t drain which put the bathroom out of use. Also the bed was old and dated with off coloured sheets. To be honest I was reluctant to get in it.

Nothing! This hotel is the lowest Grade I have ever stayed. It is in desperate need of decorating and refurbishment. I’ve stayed in better hostels.

Nothing - At the cost it was good value

I was looking for decent cheap accommodation for my daughter and I prior to an engagement in Nottingham. Hylands fits the bill. Its basic clean accommodation with a nice breakfast included. Would recommend Amores nearby for dinner - book!

Everything !!!exstremely

Absolutely nothing,very poor wi fi,breakfast was rushed,quality very poor,staff rushed too get you out,no double glazing,smelly bathroom ,wallpaper peeling away,in need of a full re decor,new windows,veiw out of window too the bins,,,very sub standing

The bed wasn't very comfortable.

It was warm and friendly, beautifully presented and clean. The breakfast was lovely and there was a lovely pub nearby for a delicious evening meal.

Tram took 25 minutes to get to central Nottingham which was surprising as only 3 miles from hotel.friendly comfortable hotel near nottingham

Park opposite hotel to walk dog. Closeness to tram station and local shops

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

The radiators were blasting out heat so for me a little too hot in my room but for others would be ideal. Not really a problem as plenty windows to open in my room.

The staff are very welcoming and it is excellent value for money. It is well located to city centre easily accessed by car and the local tram and rail links. A comfortable clean bed and good facilities. What not to like!

The plates need to be bigger for the breakfast. The food tends to fall off the plate.

The staff were happy to help and seem really hard working. The lady at breakfast time was very attentive offering more tea, coffee and toast.

The beds were really hard. I have a bad back so tend to suffer at most places but my daughters also said that they did not sleep well because the beds were too hard.

The staff were very friendly and helpful.

Some selfishly noisy residents but that’s hardly the hotel’s fault. Not sure about the ‘wet room’; I would have preferred a shower that was completely separate from the toilet. Wi-fi and table lamp didn’t work. Energy-saving bulbs made the room a little dark.

Good, copious breakfast, clean room. Good selection of TV channels. Polite, friendly, helpful staff. Good value for money.

• Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

Bed was not the most comfortable but that might have just been me! It is on a road so you get traffic noise but nothing excessive.

Very friendly staff there 24/7. Easy check in and check out, fair selection of breakfast, cereals, fruit, yogurt, toast and cooked breakfast. Good location, near shop and tram lines.

My mattress was quite hard. but apart from that everything else was fine.

This property is located within a 5 minute walk of the Beeston Centre tram stop which is very convenient if you don't want to try and find parking space in the centre of the city. The staff are all very friendly and the breakfast is very nice.

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Bed was a little lumpy but not a problem

Early morning start 4 am...the night porter was lovely...made me some breakfast and was very chatty and helpful.

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

The bathroom window wouldn't shut properly so made bathroom cold .

breakfast was great, the ladies running the restaurant very efficient and friendly, bed was comfortable. would go back again.

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

The staff was amazing, the location was great... The room was great too, my only issue was the toilet... the flush didn’t work properly Cannot fault anything else!

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Staff are always friendly and welcoming. Hylands has everything I need for a night's home-away-from home travelling for work, and I always get a good night's sleep.

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Wi-fi was hard to get in my room as it was all the way in the back. I went downstairs to access it and it was more than ample bandwidth to do what I needed.

Lots of comfy spaces to sit and do work in their many downstairs lounges. Pleasantly surprised that they had ample parking. Breakfast was fast, hot and delicious. The ladies were all chirpy and kind. The interior was clean and it was a lovely historic building. Also, they have a smalll bar open ‘til 11pm. My single room had an en-suite.

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Footprint on bottom sheet - (a child maybe) outdoor boot or something, shows that bottom sheet hadnt been changed. That isnt good - hygiene? But I did not mention it, as everything else was excellent.

Great breakfast. Good food. Staff were singing along to radio, super helpful. Very good people. Nothing was too much trouble. This hotel is central and good value. Also Co-o- nearby open until 11pm and large Tesco, with cafe, a nice leg stretch of 20mins or so. Nice town, great variety of shops Smashing people!

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Noisey - traffic noise, could hear people in room next door, room above and outside.

Friendly staff, convieniant location, reasonable price. Good breakfast, except vgi sausage.

Early morning traffic was a little noisy

Staff were friendly and efficient. The breakfast was fine. The house and room were warm and cosy and the water was piping hot.

Everything from check in to check out. Have stayed here numerous times now and it really is a home from home. Always such. Lovely greeting from all the staff who go out of their way to make sure you have a lovely stay. The breakfast is excellent and always served with a smile! Can't rate this placehigh enough.

room verry dated, toilet seat wont stay up, toilet not secured to floor, radiator in bathroom rusting and paint flaking off, radiator valve jammed on, cars in car park that have been dumpped or stored for a long time, shower cubecle small.

staff friendly and helpfull.

Hotel converted from house.layout poor and needs modernising.like double glazed windows and fully fire compliant like doors not fire check . Breakfast portions small

Very ordinary B and B

I was completely satisfied

Well appointed property, value for money with friendly, efficient staff and serving good food. Located in Nottingham, where I was born,, close to the tram stop and to the University where I studied,

There is a main road outside the front bedrooms which can be a bit noisy at night

This was a excellent hotel for its rating. Staff were extremely helpful, parking was good. Eating out was easy. Close to town centre. Clean and comfortable room. Good selection of food for breakfast

Decor is a bit dated, it would have been great in its heyday but could do with a bit of tlc. That said the price is very reasonable and I had a great nights sleep.

Good location, clean and fantastic staff.

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Cleanliness of the room was poor... someone else's toenail had been left on the threadbare carpet. I know this to be below their usual standard having stayed there before.

Superb location.

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

No teabags in room and tea cup was unwashed. It had a bit of dried gooey coffee with the spoon stuck to it. There was no wardrobe even though there was enough room for one - I had to hang three days clothing on the back of the door! floorboards were loose and noisy both inside room and outside causing disturbance at night. Shared bathroom had a toilet that needed to be flushed 4 times to fully vacate.

Nice staff, convenient location, good price and OK free breakfast

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Finding the gates to the hotel car park closed at 8pm when the weather was extremely bad. The reception area was very small and didn’t do the hotel any justice.

The room was clean and adequate for my needs. The bed was comfy although the pillows a little too soft. The breakfast was really good and set me off for the day. The staff extremely friendly. The hotel itself very clean and the visitor areas looked extremely comfy and inviting.

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

The noise from the road sleeping at the front of the house was an issue for me. I didn't sleep well at all because of it. Would have preferred the option to choose a room at the rear if i had known about this.

The staff were welcoming, helpful and friendly.

Noisy location as on main road. decor a little tired - although not damaged or dirty. Breakfast toast tasted a bit greasy/fatty?

Plenty of parking. All areas seemed very clean. mainly very friendly staff - especially the breakfast lady.

Noisy room lots of road traffic which didn’t get a lot quieter through out the night and noisy guests in the room above lots of walking around and up and down the stairs

The staff were friendly and very very helpful couldn’t do enough for us

• Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

Kettle didn’t work and it was 1am when I got in the from a party and really needed a drink but it was too much hassle to go to reception as my room was in a seperrate building to reception

Value for money for a clean comfortable room with breakfast

The decor was wildly out of date.

Staff in the morning made up for the uninformed staff at night time. Apart from that it was clean, the heating worked, the windows opened and no one broke in our room despite us leaving it unlocked by mistake all night:)

The only downside was the rather poor shower, very little water pressure.

Hylands is excellently situated, close to lots of local amenities. Also close to Nottingham university campus which was helpful as i was visiting my daughter who is studying there :). Staff very friendly and welcoming. Room very comfortable. Breakfast was lovely.

• Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

Oh, dear. The untimely fire alarm at 7.20am. Apparently, set off in error. Nevermind though, watched match of the day then went for breakfast.

Easy book in and payment with friendly landlady. Easy car parking with plenty spaces. Easy and comfy overnight sleep. Good breakfast in the morning. Shower was warm but could do with a bit more power.

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Nothing, it is clear the accommodation has not been redecorated for a while, but there was nothing wrong with that and means the price was very good. If you want a 5-star hotel then go to the Hilton and pay for it, if you want to pay a small amount and get a good B&B come here.

The accommodation was basic but clean and comfortable, which was what I wanted and the price was very good. The breakfast was very good as well.

What didn't I like? I loved it all!

Always loved Hyland - The lady serving breakfast is just so lovely and always happy to look after customers in a way that's particularly unique and unforgettable!

• Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

there was a subtle smell of sick in our room. The place needs to be renovated. It felt like an old student house where the landlord had let everything go a little too much. Wifi wasn't great.

The staff were very friendly and polite.

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Would have helped if as someone who didn't know the area, there could have been more knowledge about specific places in the centre I needed to go to and more information on whether the public transport went there.

Very clean, good breakfast and lovely lady who was cooking it.

my room is the first one near the main entrance and the main road, so it would be a little noisy. however, it won't bother at all.

great Full English breakfeast and the satff were willing to help. 5-10 minute walk to Beeston Station. Texco Extra in the neighbourhood is in 5 minute walking distance.

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Location suited me, close to station.Facilities excellent bed soft and clean shower clean nice hot water. Room clean. Smells good.Breakfast as requested fast, friendly service.