Reviews of ibis Birmingham Bordesley 3 stars

1 Bordesley Park Road, Birmingham, B10 0PD, United Kingdom

#42 of 78 hotels in Birmingham

• Reviewed: 20 September 2018

satisfactory

Cold reception /' restaurant . floor dirty from night before at breakfast. location a bit tricky and wait at gate to enter.

late check in. food available late. efficient check in.

• Reviewed: 20 September 2018

The beds were so uncomfortable me and my colleague barely...
    • Twin Room with 2 beds

The beds were so uncomfortable me and my colleague barely slept. The bed and pillows were so hard ! Like sleeping on concrete. Such a shame as everything else was great.

Perfect for what we needed for our stay on Birmingham. Will use hotel again.
    • Twin Room with 2 beds

Extra blankets could have been left in room, as the weather is going through the autumn changes at moment.

Whatever you asked the staff they were helpful and courteous. Specific requirements were never too much trouble. Location is excellent for Edgbaston and also The Bullring shopping centre.

Location was alright, not a far drive from bham centre!

Only had one spare pillow, we wanted two. Air con didn’t work and window doesn’t open far enough.

Location was alright, not a far drive from bham centre! Right next to McDonald’s and Morrison’s/boots 5-10 mins walk away. Very clean except marks on towels!

Very clean and nice room

Breakfast was cooked and served by one person who worked like a trooper. Nearly the whole room eating for 20/30 minutes for breakfast for items that didn’t appear. Bacon/sausage/hash browns

Very clean and nice room

Hotel was comfortable.

Breakfast was a disaster. It was busy and there was only 1 member of staff. There was no cutlery and we were waiting for food to come out to the buffet. In the end we went back and got a refund. Again the girl at reception was very apologetic and there was no argument on giving us a refund.

Hotel was comfortable. Staff were excellent and very friendly.

• Reviewed: 5 September 2018

Apart from the evening meal, Would stay here again.

The meals in the restaurant area were small. I had risotto, it was more like a small entree than a main meal. The breakfast area was good.

Quite room

Overall very happy with our recent stay at the Ibis wouldn’t put is off coming again maybe if it was

The bar and restaurant area felt more like a canteen was a little offputting

Overall a decent stay very clean rooms we feel that the hotel should police the taxi system a little more as we were very obviously overcharged for a trip into Birmingham new Street

Well worth its money good location

We were on the front of the building facing the traffic circle and found it noisy especially with the window open and as that is the side with afternoon and evening sun you need a bit of fresh air in your room. Plus when leaving the roundabout make sure and stay left as the entrance is within about 100mtr of the cirlcle.

The girls at the front desk were very helpful and informative with everything from how and where to catch the bus, the price it would cost, where the best shopping is and where the best local pubs are. Breakfast is definatley worth it there buffet style prebook your breakfast when you arrive as it is much cheaper then for us it was five pounds per person per night a bargin for birmingham. Lots of parking on site at no extra cost. A big thanks to Marla and Laura

Enjoyable. Thanks
    • Twin Room with 2 beds

No air conditioning & we could only open the window 6 inches or so our room was really warm

Staff were friendly and we’re happy to assist with support to change rooms and checked we we’re happy & comfortable. Two really nice young women.

Useful location with plenty of parking. Good value.
    • Twin Room with 2 beds

Perhaps a choice of softer pillow.

Very useful location for St.Andrews football ground and a short bus ride to the city centre. Plenty of available parking. I liked the bathroom layout and decor. My room was quiet. Large television screen appreciated.

This is a good hotel. It is clean, affordable and has friendly staff.
    • Twin Room with 2 beds

Because of the location of this hotel (near to retail parks and petrol stations) there wasn't a choice of another place to eat out. The hotel does though offer a reasonable standard of food in their own restaurant at extra cost to the standard room bill. We had one evening meal and two breakfasts during our stay, all were completly adequate and keenly priced. However, the first breakfast we had was poorly maintained and as a consequence we had to ask for some depleted items to be prepared. These came back so late that we had finished what breakfasts we could in the meantime. A little more care and attention to detail wouldn't go amiss. The breakfast on our second, and last day was faultless.

This Ibis was on the fringe of where we needed to be because I could not find available rooms nearer to the centre when booking. This was not a big problem as the hotel have a good relationship with a trusted taxi service. which were friendly, prompt and reasonablely priced.

Very easy, comfortable and trouble-free.
    • Twin Room with 2 beds

The location of the hotel means you need to drive or get a taxi to reach most things.

Very well-appointed rooms and helpful staff. Breakfast was very good. Everything was very clean and in good working order, would definitely use this hotel again.

• Reviewed: 18 August 2018

The location is the best advantage of the hotel.
    • Twin Room with 2 beds

We gave the reception some few clothes for ironing to finish it on one day and we surprised at next day evening that the clothes were as we submitted and they didn't send it to the laundry.

The location is the best advantage of the hotel.

I’m disappointed.

AC didn’t work & the staff gave me fan which also didn’t work. I am very disappointed how I asked for room with AC staff said can’t do anything. we will give u fan it didn’t work.

The bed was nice and comfort. Set up in the room was great as well the cleaning.

• Reviewed: 8 August 2018

Weekend stay

It was very noisy on Sunday night as some guests were going between rooms knocking on each others doors until about 4am in the morning.

Good location easy to get taxis when you asked the staff on reception. The room was very clean and well equipped.

• Reviewed: 3 August 2018

Everything as promised by IBIS standards. Good location.

The room I was given initially had a shower design that floods the whole bathroom every time you use it. Staff was very frindly and moved me to another room with a cabin-shower.

Parking available. Good location on a main road, and close to downtown.

Excellent stay at great location.

There was a stinking smell every time entered the room and this should be addressed. Also the room rate was higher on first night and normal on second night.

The bed was good. The ambiance was great

Excellent service. Shame about WiFi router restrictions
    • Twin Room with 2 beds

WiFi router restrictions which blocked the chrome cast smh. Bedroom window open on arrival so room was full of flying insects. Location was not as central as advertised. Could do with coat hooks near door

Breakfast, nice staff, very clean, bedroom was adjustable. We will stay here again next visit

Not a great stay

Staff were slow in restaurant to come to us, had to ask at bar for menu after sitting for 5 mins while staff chatted to each other at bar, ordered burger with no cheese and it came out with a small amount of cheese on the bun and meat, it have been put on and removed and served to us. Not good enough. Bed rooms were extremely warm (weather was very humid) but air conditioning didn’t cool room enough and windowed couldn’t be opening much so was very hot. Location was close to Centre, a lot of noise from traffic passing, loud cars racing, at least 2 homeless people could be seen outside on the main road from our window for our stay.

Clean hotel,

MY CAR WAS STOLEN!!!

My car was stolen from the car park in broad daylight 18:00pm. Absolutely fuming about it. The car park looks so secure as well. The only saving grace was the lady on reception who helped us out massively, I don’t know your name but thank you!!!

Very rude member of staff

Rudeness of the reception staff. Especially the Afro-Caribbean man. We brought some foods from outside and he wouldn't let us have any cutlery and plates. He said if I take the cutlery I must bring it back soon we finished. because he's got a very busy breakfast in the morning.

The rudeness from the staff has upset our stay with the hotel.

Good value for a short stay!

Nothing particular!

The staff were efficient, helpful and cheerful. Had ordered a twin but on entering our room it was a double. The manager dealt with this efficiently and quickly.

Average

Key downside for me was no plug sockets near the bed and the A/C wasn't great. Apart from that, it met my expectation.

Its cheap, close to town and quiet.

Would not stay here again

The bed was uncomfortable and the air conditioning was faulty, given the very warm conditions this made for a very uncomfortable hot night in a small room. The breakfast was £8 ish each and would be described as adequate at best (bacon and sausages in a pan about quarter filled with oil).

The hotel was located close to the city centre (approximately 10 minutes drive). The decor was nice and true to the pictures and the room was clean. We moved rooms once due to a foul smell, the staff moved us without issue promptly.

Great location, lovely staff, comfy bed

Air con dripped during our second night.....but it had been set super low to deal with the heatwave Bar costs - £1 extra for a larger top - seriously - how much lemonade was required?? - great barman though who dealt professionally with my irritation

The staff were very welcoming and helpful with information about Birmingham The location was great - quiet - and the bed was really comfy We went to a gig at the Arena and it was a £7 taxi ride there and a 30 minute walk back Bullring only 20 minutes away Macdonald’s next door - great for coffee!

Quirky, clean but not comfortable.

There were a few grumbles which was a shame as I would have scored the hotel top marks otherwise. As the weather was hot, I found the room temperature unbearable (the window could only be opened around 3 inches) and was surprised that no air-con was installed? I had to go and ask for a fan to try and keep cool which was supplied but the fan blade was hanging off so had to do some work on it before I could use it. If the bed and pillows were to the standard of a Premier Inn, again I would have given top marks but the mattress was hard and so were the pillows, which led to an uncomfortable night sleep. One final thing was the TV, I don't think I've seen such a small screen in a hotel for a long time. It made difficult viewing watching the England game :(. Breakfast was adequate and acceptable, the only thing I didn't like was the 'canteen' style layout, especially when having dinner in the evening, it felt that they really didn't encourage you to eat their. The evening meal was basic but in keeping with the 'cafe' style atmosphere, certainly not restaurant quality or choice.

A quirky hotel and unlike any I've stayed in before. Clean and modern in design. The washroom was unique and like a 'pod', similar to walking into an aeroplane toilet but obviously much bigger, couldn't fault it. Lighting was better than most, as least you could see easily enough. Some hotel bedrooms need torches to see around! Everything was laid out well and enough room without feeling 'squashed in'

Clear room, friendly desk staff and 15 walk into Birmingham...

Having spent the previous night at a Holiday Inn in Wallsall and paid £10 less and that includes a free buffet breakfast, I was very disappointed that we would have been charged £8.99 pp for breakfast.

Clear room, friendly desk staff and 15 walk into Birmingham City

Very convenient, modern and a pleasure to stay in. The children loved it

I couldn’t figure out how to request a later check in whilst in bed using the mobile phone provided.

I came to stay for a family party and thought the hotel was very clean and modern. It was spacious enough for my and my daughter to get ready. The front desk staff was lovely on arrival and was very helpful. I will deffo recommend to anyone.

Nice rooms but very reduced menu Friday to Sunday
    • Twin Room with 2 beds

The location is a bit isolated but fine for a short visit if you have transport. I had been looking forward to a glass of wine or a beer and a nice meal, I wasn't expecting anything special but the choice seemed okay. However my heart sunk when I saw that most items were only available Monday to Thursday, so if you are there on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday then all you have to look forward to is something that can be warmed up like curry or a Pizza. This forced me to drive into the City go through the hassle of finding somewhere to park and then eat when all I wanted to do was chill out.

Room was nice, very clean, air conditioner kept the room cool in the hot weather. WiFi was great. Good value. Staff pleasant. Free parking.

I’d gladly stay again

The drinks a bit overpriced in the bar.

It was very clean and the staff were very helpful. The city centre was only 10 minutes away and taxi only cost £6.

I wouldn't stay here again, but it was ok for a budget hotel.

Budget hotel, and low price but the room was VERY hot (air conditioning not working), the 'ensuite' was tiny like a mobile home shower room, which you had to step up into, and also smelled of damp. There was no ironing facility in the room but a separate 'Ironing Room' on another floor.

Croissants were lovely. Staff were friendly. Low price.

How the staff helped us out with checking in

Wasn’t what was expected , was on the ground floor , window was pointing car park , way too hot in the room, was noise from cars going past and people.

How the staff helped us out with checking in

Staff were great.
    • Twin Room with 2 beds

The room had no air con so was incredibly hot. As we had to have the window open the noise from the road was awful. It seems to be used as a race track throughout the night. Virtually no sleep as a result.

Staff were great.

Comfortable.

The 24/7 menu is not 24/7. The food we wanted was not available, staff told is this was due to delivery issues. If this was the case then we should have been told.on check in.

Comfortable.clean and great location

Perfect for where we were going. Very nice staff, very welcoming. Thank you.

You have to push hard the bathroom door to shut but I'm being really trying to think of something to comment on.

It was so near the town centre and Edgbaston as well, perfect for our stay in Birmingham

Accommodation is functional but be more generous with what you provide.

Facilities in the room are really cut back: only two modest shower towels, no hand towels and no bath mat; only two pillows on a double bed plus just one spare pillow. Asked for additional pillows and, after some discussion, secured one extra pillow.

Rooms are small but comfortable. Staff generally helpful. Good car parking.

Sat nav took me straight to the door staff were friendly and...
    • Twin Room with 2 beds

Bed was a little bit hard for me and the tv could of had a guide for channels ie film

Sat nav took me straight to the door staff were friendly and room was clean and a good size

Great value, clean communal spaces, clean and neat bedrooms...

Bed not to my personal taste and a nice fried egg with the breakfast would have been ace! D?on't expect to take the train from Bordesley station into town either......

Great value, clean communal spaces, clean and neat bedrooms and friendly staff.

Convenient, helpful, reliable and comfortable.

The air cooling system is poor. I’ve stayed several times and not had a proper working system. And the rooms get very warm. BUT! The staff have been helpful and I’ve been given a portable fan for use in the room, on my last two stays.

Friendly, helpful, clean and good value accommodation. Lift service. 24 hour restaurant service, with a good choice for dinner and breakfast. And plentiful free parking.

Clean and comfortable

Could have done with more towels especially as there were 2 of us

Clean and comfortable. Food was great there was a 24/7 menu. Great location lots of restaurants and supermarkets close by

Really enjoyed our short stay, I would recommend this hotel to friends and family.

I thought the front of house team were not as welcoming and informed as I would have liked and although there was ample parking space we struggled to find a suitable spot.

The Ibis Birmingham Bordesley was VERY clean with a great shower, comfortable bed and free Wifi. The breakfast was £8:95 and good value. I was pleasantly surprised by the modern decor. I have never stayed at an Ibis hotel before but after this experience I would be willing to stay for longer than one night.

the staff were friendly

The bed to be more comfortably more than one pillow we had to use the towels under our pillows should be more than 2 tea bags in room the food was dreadful put me off fish and chips for life and breakfast was disgusting I stayed in one in Cardiff and that was much better

the staff were friendly

Cheap, nice staff, small beds

The single beds are this hotel are very small. You have to try your hardest to stay in them when you are sleeping and not fall out. One of my friends managed to fall out the bed while he was sleeping.

The lady on the front desk we checked in with was lovely, couldn't be more helpful if she tried.

Good overall, friendly staff, next to maccies, will come again.

The shower was not working well, bit expensive found a room little bit small, toilet too compact.

Give us extra hour to stay before checking out, security was good.

Great for business location

(minor thing) Used to have benches outside to sit and have a drink (smoking area). But now just one long bench and standing area just for smokers - so please more seats, plenty of room! Location is great but can be noisy (boy racers on the ring Rd) if its summer and you need windows open. (windows closed its acceptably quiet)

Free Parking. Clean, modern looking rooms. Comfortable. Just on the ring road so access to all sides of Birmingham City Centre is good. McDs next door if you don't want to eat in

Cool place

Liked the available car parking and overall stay was lovely, clean place and most of all i always enjoy using the bathroom, small but clean and nice. Will definitely use ibis again 😊😊

Poor Staff Communication

When checking in I was not given any information on breakfast or evening meals. I went out my way to ask staff how I order food and was asked to sit at a table. After sitting at the table for 20 minutes without being advised otherwise I made my way up to the bar to ask how the service works as I assumed being told to sit at a table meant someone would come to me. I felt that uncomfortable as I was given no information at all even after asking that I skipped breakfast the following morning after already paying for this. Would not recommend.

Comfy bed

Plenty of car parking, helpful reception staff

Very uncomfortable pillows. Housekeeping took used towels and only replaced with a single towel between 2 of us, although this was quickly rectified by reception. Dogs allowed to stay but not in open plan bar area which means we could not use the facility although we had to pay for our dog to stay. Dark and dingy room.

Plenty of car parking, helpful reception staff

Price and practical facilities.

The hotel is not in a good/particularly safe area of Birmingham. We witnessed a car being stolen from the hotel car park. Lots of random people loitering around the property/Mc Donald's too. Food in hotel mediocre. Go by taxi if going out at night, don't walk.

Price and practical facilities. Good shower.

Overall it was a great place with all the necessities for a short stay!

The bathroom doors don’t have locks but not that much of an issue.

The rooms were a bit small but very comfortable, clean and modern! Stayed 3 nights and the staff were very friendly and helpful with taxi bookings and information. The breakfast buffet was also great! Also a 10-15 minute walk to the Centre and 20 minute taxi drive to the airport and NEC Would definitely stay again when returning to Birmingham

Thank you!

As soon as I got out of the car I was greeted by a rat that was just going around the back of the hotel!!! The ironing room. Was ok but would have preferred an iron my room or at least a water supply in the ironing room so you could re-fill the iron without having to take all your belongings back to the room and bringing water back in a cup!

The rooms were clean and perfectly proportioned for what I needed

Location was good!

No separation from the bar and restaurant, staff where miserable and looked unhappy! Staff ate food in full view off guests, clearly have no staff room!

Location was good!

Will definitely stay there again.

Poor choice of TV channels. Dripping aircon kept me awake all night. And soaked the carpet! But staff agreed to get maintenance to sort it. Scrambled egg at breakfast was very dry.

Very good choice of dinner and breakfast options. Good customer service. Free car parking. Lift to all floors. Modern and clean. Comfy bed. Good blackout curtain. Electric socket and USB charging options. Free WI-FI.

Convenient location for visiting Heathlands hospital.

Air con unit dripped loudly through night. Shower drain blocked causing bathroom to flood so had to shower is short bursts.

Convenient location for visiting Heathlands hospital. Staff friendly and well meaning but not trained.

Perfect for what we needed. We didn't quite know what to expect but nicer than rival (purple) chain

Lovely hotel, staff and rooms, comfy bed, great breakfast, close to where we needed to be for a gig, and easily driveable to nice places to visit without braving the busy city centre. We'll definitely stay again if the right band is playing!

Super hotel

Check in lady didn't show me where room was/ seem to care, she did not seem helpful. all other staff helpful and friendly!

Super friendly staff, extra comfy beds, really clean bathroom!

great happy staff ..clean modern hotel comfy beds would stay again .

location was a little out of city and not much there, However it was only 10 min taxi ride and there was a McDonalds next door so was not so bad .

The room was very clean and comfy .staff were great and very helpful the lovely man on reception in the day time was fantastic had very good customer service skills ,nothing was to much trouble .

I arrived at the property just under an hour before check in...

I arrived at the property just under an hour before check in, they advised me my room was ready but if I wanted to go to my room I would need to pay £30 to have access to it even though I only paid £45 for the night. This seemed completely pointless exercise as the room was standing empty and I’ve always been allowed to use it before. The member of staff was very blunt.

Ideal budget accommodation for drivers close to Birmingham city centre.
    • Twin Room with 2 beds

The room was very comfy and quiet. Beds were quite small but comfortable. Staff were very polite and helpful. Convenient location with free parking for Birmingham City stadium. City centre a short bus ride away or pleasant walk along canal.

Good.

Reception bloke who checked us in wasn’t very friendly which is first point of call but nothing else wrong. Wasn’t a problem but am big on customer case owning a business myself.

It’s near Digbeth where we go out at night.

Very pleasant and comfy room.
    • Twin Room with 2 beds

Maybe more tea bags and milk in room but happy to collect from reception

Loved the topper on the mattress. Handy was useful. Staff really helpful. Found free internet on the hotels computer very useful. Good choice of breakfast.

Great convenience in a city that always seems booked up.
    • Twin Room with 2 beds

The beds were a little bit stiff but nothing that would cause a problem for such a short stay.

The idea that Ibis supply you with a "Handy" phone is great. Unlimited data for free on a phone that you can take out with you is an amazing addition.

Excellent value for money with great rooms.

Breakfast was a little hit or miss, especially if eating later in the opening hours. The hot breakfast food was very greasy. The hotel is closed and has security on the doors at night which was incredibly inconvenient when arriving late in the evening after a long day at work. Being told we couldn't sit in the lobby at night was also a little bit of a shock.

Very good value for money compared to other similar hotels in the area. Staff were friendly and helpful. Beds were extremely comfortable and the rooms were thoroughly cleaned on arrival and each day. Excellent showers with good water pressure.

All in all, a really good hotel for a low price. Would recommend for a few days.

There were 2 of us. They gave us 3 pillows. There were a few big red stains on the floor, not sure if wine or blood or whatever.

Used the do not disturb sign and the cleaners put some tea and coffee etc in a bag and hung it on the door, which was a very nice gesture. Room looked really nice. Bathroom was nice. Everything was nice and compact and the location was great for what we came for. We had an event to attend on trinity street and is only a 20 min drive from the NEC which we went to the day after for the bodypower expo. We ordered some food in via Uber and as soon as I walked in the lad behind reception offered us plates and cutlery. Place looks modern and car park is big with free parking. Car park and entrance is locked at night and was only accessible to guests. Just that added protection from thieves.

Very clean and spacious.

Very clean and spacious. Really loved the decor and how much you got for your money. Room was very comfy and the staff couldn’t do enough for you as well as very friendly. Would stay again in a heartbeat.

Great value, rooms clean and tidy.

The intercom to get back in at night didn't work, the staff couldn't hear us, we couldn't hear them, so it took us a while to get in.if the weather was bad I would have been quite annoyed. Its an easy fix, it needs replacing.

Location was good for what we needed, free parking is great, rooms seem recently refurbished, comfy bed and pillows. Good light in the bathroom.

Ideal location for what we needed.

Bed was very uncomfortable, room was quite warm and unfortunately being roadside it was very noisy with window open - suggest air conditioning.

Ideal location for what we needed. Staff very friendly, though could have done with a couple more on match day. Nice and clean.

Great location and value for money.

The bed was quite hard and could have been more comfy. Cleaning staff were quite loud in the morning.

Good location. Good value for money. Pleasant staff. Great check out time.

Comfortable, warm, friendly staff, would definitely go back if in Birmingham again
    • Twin Room with 2 beds

The showerhead needed descaling, but still worked fine.

Was the perfect choice for an overnight place to crash after a night out in Birmingham. Was even walkable to the station (took half an hour, but blew away a few cobwebs)

• Twin Room with 2 beds

Decor was a bit student union but my daughter thought it was great.

Food was good. Bedroom a bit tired and a little noisy but we had the best nights sleep we’ve had in ages. The staff were all, without exception, lovely and extremely helpful.

The staff were really friendly!
    • Twin Room with 2 beds

The staff were really friendly! Everything we needed could be found in the building. The location was ideal for where I needed to be too. Would definitely stay again!

Great for a one night stay and easy access to Birmingham City Centre.

No newspapers and nowhere to go outside of the hotel.

Staff were very friendly and caring especially as I was there on my own. Not the best area to stay in but for one night was okay and everything I expected from an Ibis hotel. Good breakfast and nice quiet room.

One night stay for morning interview.

Breakfast buffet was a bit lacklustre and limited, and at nearly £9 it was poor value. It was fine though. If I stayed again I'd just get a Mcdonalds breakfast as there's one right next door.

Staff were very good. There was a mobile phone to use for in the room with free international calls and unlimited 4g. Restaurant was open late, clean and comfortable. Parking is free. I was there for an interview at the football ground which is less than 2 minutes drive or 5 minutes walk.

Very Clean spot on perfect i like how felt when i enter the...

Water running out of shower and the shower itself is too noisy.

Very Clean spot on perfect i like how felt when i enter the room positive energy. Comfy bed the heather works perfect no noise from the main room outside there is sound proof perfect location near city center you can go by bus...