Reviews of Ivy Mount Boutique 3 stars

35, Half Edge Lane, Salford, Manchester, M30 9AY, United Kingdom

#50 of 93 hotels in Manchester

A basic of a good stay is a comfortable bed. Sadly this wasn't the case here. It was very uncomfortable.. no mattress protector.. black hairs and stained too. Not acceptable for a good night's sleep. The shower was quite good but virtually impossible to use the sink as it was so small. The grab and go breakfast is a great idea but the poor quality juice wasn't very nice. Would have been good to have A choice of coffee or tea. To be honest it was ok but nothing more than that. We would use it again if there was no other options available locally but wouldn't book again if we could find somewhere else. To be clear this is not a boutique hotel. It's a bed and breakfast trying to punch above its weight. Nothing more than that.

The staff were friendly and the grab and go breakfast is a good idea.

It is quite far from the nearest tram stop and even further from the centre of Manchester. It would be ideal for people who drive.

It is very pet friendly. Good value. Staff were really friendly and super helpful. My grab & go breakfast was perfect!

Lack of curtains , only blinds that did not allow same level of privacy. Woken up by late arrivals or guests. Small bathroom Instant coffee

Good breakfast Staff were friendly and helpful

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Our room on ground floor. Very noisy with people coming in and out. Vertical blinds at window meant me and my partner woke up at 5am!! No nice little touches such mini shower gels ..only body lotion and a bar of soap the size of a 2 pence piece!!! Overall very basic for what we paid

Nothing fantastic stood out ..very average .

• Double or Twin Room

We Was refused breakfast even though I payed extra on entry and she wouldn't give me the money back . The bed was the worst bed I have ever slept well tried to sleep on, I didn't get a wink. The noise situation was horrendous there kids were playing and shouting at 8am. It was the most unsecure place as the locks were hanging off the doors anybody could of broken In with ease. I wouldn't recommend this place to anybody it was my worst hotel experience. Everybody else I spoke too payed £169 but I payed £214 so I want some money back.

The shower was impossible to regulate, if it was too hot, you'd be scorched for 2 minutes straight and then finally get an ice shower for two LONG minutes...even if you barely adjusted it, or the pressure would just die off to a dribble for ages. Very difficult to get clean with all the jumping in and out and standing waiting wet in the very tiny cramped bathroom. Worst shower I've ever encountered. Then bed was a concrete slab with sharp springs baked in. Walls very thin...I got to hear a dog crying starting at 1:00 am...realized after 20 mins, IT WAS NOT A DOG at all...got to hear the same couple arguing at 6 AM. Felt exhausted the entire next day!

Very cute, clean, well decorated. Very friendly staff. Private enough for the price.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The room was clean and comfortable. The Shower was hot and powerful. The breakfast was made with good quality ingredients. The staff were charming and efficient. Yes we will use this hotel again.

• Double or Twin Room

Everything was so good for our weekend in manchester. Owner was so nice and couldnt do enough for. The place was spotless. Breakfast was delious. We will be back.

• Double or Twin Room

Excellent stay at the Ivy Mount Boutique, facilities are excellent, room well equipped, breakfast was amazing! Staff very friendly and helpful, I would recommend to anyone. I would definitely stay here again!

• Double or Twin Room

Sink in the bathroom was tiny and the tap wobbly.

Nice comfy bed with fresh linen smelling of fabric conditioner. We had a room at the front of the building, nice and light with large windows. Complimentary bottles of water in the room was a nice touch. Staff were helpful and friendly.

• Double or Twin Room

Check-in times were limited to 4pm-8pm on Sunday, which was not entirely convenient. We would have preferred to check in at 2pm then drive into Manchester.

Good location, value for money

Two single beds pushed together when advertised a double bed not too fussed as I was sharing with a friend could have just kept it as two singles

Clean and cheap, breakfast service was good and very much to a tight schedule

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

When I arrived I'd been told that breakfast won't be included in my room rate (even though I specifically booked my room with full English breakfast on booking.com). Apparently there was a "glitch" by booking.com and I'd been told by the owner lady to call directly booking.com to request a refund, or just simply have the breakfast, pay for it again and then call booking.com for a refund. She is clearly not a solution person, and got annoyed very quickly (according to her after only one customer who had the same issue) with sorting out this problem, and told that "sorry, she won't keep calling for another 20 people to sort out their paperwork". Just wow. After that she held a good 10 minute long monologue about how much trouble this caused to her and how much is unpleasant to handle it with every single guest that comes to the hotel - like it's my business and like I care after a long day at 9 o'clock in the evening. When I called booking.com for the refund they did not understand why the customer calls and not the hotel. If that's not enough, the next morning I went to pick up my "grab and go" breakfast which was included in the rate and then she commented something like "you want the free breakfast then, that's what people always want, the free things". And then finally - the last straw - I asked if I could sit in the bar or outside on their terrace, she said it's best if I go because the bar and the terrace is for paying customers only - clearly I slept there for free of charge both of the nights... I wouldn't even mention this bit because it was a "grab and go" breakfast but seriously I felt like she tried to humiliate me on purpose. Second morning I didn't even bother, just had breakfast outside. After all the good reviews I read on booking.

Only thing i really liked was the location, close to the tram station, so could get to the city fast.

The room was very small (only just room for a bed and a small table - nothing else in the room) with dark brickwork effect wall paper. Tiny shower. Very basic room with no dressing table/draws to keep things in

Easy to get to and park

• Double or Twin Room

Bed were very uncomfortable. Middle of the two mattresses was extremely hard.

Staff were super friendly and lovely. The rooms were a spacious and had everything we needed for a long weekend

• Double or Twin Room

Dislike when the bed is meant to be a double to find 2 singles strapped together so you get the awkward ridge in the bed but everything else was absolutely fine.

Staff were very polite and helpful

Could really do with curtains in the rooms. Blind didn't block out any light. Would also add some colour to the room. Recommend carpet for hallway instead of laminate. Very noisy when you're in the room next to front door,and a slow close door as guests kept slamming it shut!

Friendly staff. Comfy bed.booked us a taxi for concert. Small free sandwich selection at the bar. Room was spotlessly clean

• Double or Twin Room

Stairs were a challenge. Shower had mould in the cracks. A limited breakfast was advertised on Booking.com, yet the property said that was a mistake, and would not supply it. Parking at the property was very poor.

Comfortable bed

• Superior Studio

The doors to the building are very loud. Kept us awake moat of the night with people coming and going

It was decorated beautifully. The staff were lovely.

• Double or Twin Room

The Owners, were very engaging & friendly, they are working extremely hard to give both quality & value, to an excellent location. I will in time use this venue & location again & again & I will be happy to recommend “The Ivy Boutique” to others

Liked this property and the really helpfull staff in spite of the breakfast confusion caused by Booking.com's incompetence in having mixed information regarding breakfast information!

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The shared bathroom was too small, I struggled to turn around in it, my bedroom was nothing like the pictures in the website. Room was old, dirty and floor had holes in it! Also the free breakfast was misleading

I didn't like anything! All the pictures on website were a lie !

Nothing regarding the hotel or staff, however maybe we chose the wrong weekend and was unlucky in that because unfortunately there were a lot of young customers who did not quite understand respect for others in the boutique!

It’s nice to see something different to a typical hotel. I liked the paint colours on the doors!

Bathrooms ensuite

Nice clean room and delicious breakfast! We had the full English and it was cooked to perfection with local produce which were all bursting with flavour. You must try the poached eggs!

• Double or Twin Room

Only comment is blinds on windows let in a lot of light from street lamps outside. If it has curtains to block light would have been excellent for all areas.

Comfy beds and very helpful staff, facilities were spotless and very good value for money.

Great location, not far to Eccles metro link a few stops to Salford Quays and old Trafford stadium £5 day return on tram ticket , 25 mins to the heart of Manchester Paul and staff made us feel very welcome Thanks

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

My own fault but I accidentally booked a shared bathroom. However, staff rang me to assure me that the bathroom was my own, on my floor with no other guests using. Next time I stay I will book an ensuite but for the price it was a great place.

The staff were great, friendly. As a lone female traveller I didn't feel at all awkward at any point during my stay. Love the family vibe

Nothing whatsoever

The owner of the hotel is very accommodating and very easy to converse with. She helped and is still helping us with our extended stay at the property. Would recommend to anyone

The bedroom was very dated, brown patches all over the walls and ceiling, when booking it said breakfast was included in price of the room but when we got there we were told it wasn't, breakfast stopped at 9.30am which I felt was early, especially on a sunday, the locks are the door were not good (it took us about 10 minutes to lock our door)

The staff were friendly

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

I knew the size of the room in advance butting was 4 flights of stairs up and had poor ventilation so was stuffy and claustrophobic Only 2 plugs in the room Bathroom was more like s broom cupboard with no shampoo / body wash and very low water pressure

We ordered breakfast but there was a breakdown in communication and they did not have that on the booking info.

The Ivy mount was exceptional! The bar area is really nice. The place is immaculately clean.

How loud other people were when leaving in morning banging up and down the stairs and the slaming of the front door. Although this is only other guest fault not fault of ivy mount

The staff were amazing. Lovely place to stay.

As well as the excellent and helpful staff who would do anything for any guest to help them they have excellent knowledge of the area. A wonderfully comfortable bed in a spacious room just helped to make my week.

• Double or Twin Room

Sink the size of a tea cup and white blinds rather then good curtains (noisy and strong daylight as of 6am)

Staff, size of the bed and room, the room was neat and clean, smooth check-in and check out, WiFi, easy to get into city centre.

• Double or Twin Room

This property had very poor value for money very unsatisfactory hotel.

I liked the beds they were comfortable, I liked the parking and toilets were clean.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Faulty sink. Just needs a little repair.

I keep myself to myself. Staff available when needed. Courteous and welcoming staff. Comfortable beds. Good TV and reception. Wifi great.

Wash basin was a little too small. TV rising from footboard at end of bed via a remote control was a nice touch but pointless for watching TV unless you were actually in the bed.

Nicely appointed hotel with good , spacious rooms. excellent staff who are obviously interested in the hotel and it's guests. Good parking too. I will certainly be coming back here.

• Double or Twin Room

Asked for double bed but given two single beds attached with frequently falling into. In shower, nothing to keep stuff on, door of shower cubicle doesnt close so the whole bathroom get soaked. Tiny basin.

spacious room Good shower Regular daily cleaning with new towels

Great property and facilities, lovely friendly helpful staff comfy beds and good location. Deffo will stay here again. Free parking and Wi-Fi. Great breakfast. Lovely stay. Thank you

• Executive One-Bedroom Suite

The kitchen facilities were really really poor, we had no knives or folks no cooking appliances concidering we had a cooker we should of been provided with these. No mugs, no tea or coffee. No sponge in the sink. Also, the pull out sofa was pulled out but however could not use due to it being really dirty

The space was great, I really liked the bathroom bedroom and garden space outside

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Overcharged, harassed by phone calls, asked to pay extra for something we didn't get in the end.

Experience was a disaster, so nothing at all I'm afraid

poor response to e-mail enquiries, being charged for something we never got, £100+ for a very average room, total confusion on bookings with no attempt to rectify ("oh well, she got it a little bit wrong yesterday")

Nothing really, the whole experience was a disaster!

• Double or Twin Room

Beds were on wheels so they moved when trying to get in and out. The shower was not very powerful so took longer than normal to wash.

Beds were comfy.

• Double or Twin Room

Coffee was really bad quality,our room was tiny and lamps did not work,mattress was ok but not massively comfortable

Staff were really friendly and nice,the room was very clean

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

A double bed shouldn't be 2 singles I don't think.

We didn't stay for breakfast but the night spent there was excellent, we upgraded the day before to ensure we had our own bathroom;. The room was in a separate building but the lady who checked us in was extremely helpful in showing us exactly where everything is. It is very close to Manchester centre, Ubers are very cheap in the city anyway. The bed was comfy but seemingly it was 2 single beds pushed together but wasnt much of a problem. The room was very spacious. Very much enjoyed our stay.

The bathroom is quite small but everything functions well. Creaking sounds on the floor when you walk on it

The bed is very comfy. Room is clean and neat. It provided all the basics that I need- hairdryer, mini fridge, kettle and plenty of hangers. Owner and staff are nice and friendly.

• Double or Twin Room

Absolutely brilliant little find... would definitely stay again room was spotless, cosy and warm perfect for couples. Staff were amazing !!! Had a n extremely happy stay!

• Double or Twin Room

Bed a bit uncomfortable and it was two single beds pushed together and there was quite a large gap in between that wouldn't close

Access to iron and mini fridge

• Double or Twin Room

Staff are very friendly and helpful. Facilities and accommodation are spot-on. Great value for money. I don't think you'd find better at the price.

Dirty floor in bathroom

It wasn't as comfy I stayed in the one bed aprtment. The bed was 2 singles put together. As I walked in little kitchen 2 tiles drop off. The bathroom wasnt clean I could see loads of hair on the floor.. the guy at reception was happy to attend straight away but he didn't come with broom or mop he just wiped the floor with some tissue . But was nice to have the patio

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The parking facilities weren’t the best but still no problems

The staff were so friendly and helpful, the bed was so comfortable had the best nights sleep...

Worst bed I've slept in. If you are pushing to singles together put a mattress topper on otherwise there is a big gap down middle of bed. Walls extremely thin and noise travelled throughout entire building. People above got up at 4am and stomped around.

Only fault was the bed was very uncomfortable and seemed broken . Other than that fantastic place to stay

Staff at the ivy mount was very welcoming and helpful . Room was clean and lovely bathroom

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Was a bit surprised about the shared bathroom...But was able to upgrade to en suite for £10. The room didn't have a desk or table so hard to do any work. Also, it's a bit cheeky calling it a 'boutique hotel' on website when it's real name is Ivy Lodge Guest House

Low cost and in the right location for me

• Double or Twin Room

In room Tea, coffee offering basic with mismatched cups but very minor faults.

Staff were extremely helpful and friendly. Room comfortable, clean and functional.

• Double or Twin Room

The bed was far too soft and the mattress topper kept rolling up in places. And the sink in the bathroom was too small to fill the kettle in so I had to use one of the bottles of water to do so, and that would be an inconvenience if there were two guests in the room and they both wanted a bottle of water each.

The location is right in the middle of Salford on a residential street. The room was very clean and two bottles of water were provided. The staff are very friendly and you receive personalised emails during your stay re the bar, and at checkout. The shower was warm and powerful. Nice design, with the tv inside the end of the bed.

I booked a double room but ended up with a twin which had the beds pushed together. The mattress was lumpy and led to a bad nights sleep. The bathroom was small with the shower barely able to move in. The tap was loose and there was no shelf for toothpaste etc and the shower head was held up by string. The flooring was spongy and felt hortible underfoot. A boutique hotel should have better attention to detail and a better finish this is just a B&B nothing boutique about it.

The property was in a good location which was easily accessible and had good parking. The staff were friendly.

• Executive One-Bedroom Suite

Stayed while my husband was in hospital, I don’t ever stay away on my own but Paul, Gita & the staff made my stay so comfortable under really stressful circumstances, nothing was too much trouble. Having the kitchen was brilliant as I could cook for myself when I wanted. The grab and go breakfast was delicious. Everyone was friendly and helpful and the private little garden was a great bonus.

Parking was a bit difficult on the first day as the spaces are limited by the property

Good value for money. Maintained very well. Staff were excellent. Close to AJ Bell Stadium.

• Double or Twin Room

Can't help the customers store the baggage a bit longer as soon as they checked out. And you can hear very clear when the people were talking in the other room

Including breakfast

The washbasin was so small it was unusable for anything other than washing hands, it was even difficult brushing teeth in it without dribbling on the floor. Parking was a bit cramped and when full could be an issue

Bed was comfy. facility was clean. Tea & Coffee facilities in the room. The grab & go breakfast was fine with a choice of bacon or sausage rolls, hot drink & a muffin and was included in the price, but a sit down meal was at an extra charge

Water pressure for shower - went cold and had to wait for pressure to come back. Happened x 2

Staff could not be better, welcoming helpful and friendly.

• Double or Twin Room

Dirty laminate flooring, Scalding hot showers, damp on walls, flaking wallpaper, poor complimentary breakfast (half a roll), no access to bar on arrival, vastly overpriced for quality of accommodation, more like a youth hostel.

From the outside it looks like a nice little hotel with nice lighting and gardens.

On entering the entrance of the property there was an extremely strong smell of cannabis. Also on the evening I requested an extra pillow which I was told by a member of staff would be brought to the room, however this never happened. Also privacy wasn't great as there was a gap in the room door.

Bed was comfortable. Room was clean and adequate facilities. Good on site parking.

bed

Lovely bed and breakfast. The staff were really lovely, especially the breakfast chef. Good location, onsite parking. My only small quibble was the bed it was to hard for me. But a really nice stay and would return.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Facilities were great lively room. And the staff were great especially the bar man at night who came to check I was ok after an obnoxious customer caused problems. Would definitely recommend and stay again. Thanks

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

Arrived early to what I thought was going to be a basic hotel. Was a B and B split over 3/4 houses so a basic bedsit is what we got. Because I thought looking at the very well taken pictures the place was a hotel I figured 24 hour reception so went straight there after early morning flight thinking we could even just drop our bags. The reception bell went unanswered and met the lovely cleaner coming down from another house. She brought us in after explaining they don’t open reception till 2 - we were still happy enough to just drop bags so she went to take them and noticed our room was ready and said sure I’ll drop you up the keys are here - this was perfect. Until the owner who when asked for her name replied Mrs Carroll (think this will help with how passive aggressive she is) knocked down our bedroom door asking us to return to reception she was the owner and the cleaner should not have let us in without following id checks etc (I found very odd considering we were booked through one of the most reputable sites Booking.com so she had my account with them and my card details) anyway talk about perfect timing couple away on a romantic break and she’s there rudely interrupting knocking down door. When I followed her to reception feeling like nothing more than a bold school child going to the principals office she repeated herself over and over how we don’t open till 2 I’m sure ya got an email - I prob did but there again I thought I booked a hotel with the usual check in after 2 policy’s but would still have staff there to take bags- we weren’t trying to cheat her system we were simply allowed in by her staff and then berated for it. Maybe she does need a break as she threw in the oh we work 7 days blah blah at this point I was biting my tongue as to what do you expect running a B and B. Not a great people experience for myself after years in retail management I definitely expect more from owners.

The cleaner was so helpful went above her duties to help us out, the above comments about staff are purely based on experience with owners wife. Price is good if you get one of the rooms photographed. Should be ideal for ppl working on road needing a pillow for the night.

Squeaky doors, people banging on the front door in the middle of the night and making lots of noise in the corridor.

The person arranging breakfast was super friendly and helpful.

• Executive One-Bedroom Suite

Steps down to reception, down to the apartment, up to other rooms. This hotel is not suitable for disabled visitors

Well-equipped apartment. Has a garden which would be lovely in the summer. Tv in living and bedrooms

Nothing we didn't like

This was an absolutely gorgeous place to stay,all the staff were lovely and so helpful,will definitely stay here again...lovely

• Double or Twin Room

Mini bar empty. Having to pay for a cooked breakfast on a £200 per night room!! Only a sandwich in with the price. Microwave meals (curry and chilli) served for dinner. Very over priced however tasted ok. Would have been happy if we had paid less for the meal. 7.95 per meal for microwaved food!! Room was nice but well used. Areas getting tired and in need of repair. Not what I’d expect for the price. Hall way and banisters dated (not very modern boutique) Night latch lock on our room door would not work correctly.

Staff very friendly and helpful. Nice and warm room on a cold night. Welcomeing staff and complementary water/ coffee in room. Bar man was very good. Very knowledgeable of cocktails. Made a mean pornstar martini and gin and tonic.

• Double or Twin Room

Front door was very noisy, could be heard closing from our room. Window blinds not black out so street lightning lit up our room. Shower door loose.

Staff were really friendly and it was a really good cooked breakfast

• Double or Twin Room

Well. I feel frauded. We paid £98 for a room in an old guesthouse. Bathroom amenities must be renovated. There is no carpet on the floor, so it’s freezing cold. At the same time, there is central heating burning the air. However, if you decide to open the window, you fill find it impossible to sleep as there is water streaming in a fountain or something. It felt like the linen hadn’t been changed by our arrival. And a small detail! The lady who cleans the rooms puts new towels on the stairs while preparing the rooms, so don’t expect any sanitary cleanliness there. There was also toothpaste spots and hairs in the sink. We were ready that the property would not be in the city center, so when booking we asked the staff for directions. Got a weird instruction about buses that seemed not to exist as nobody at Piccadilly knew where to find the stops for them. There is actually a tram from/to the center, taking 37 minutes to Manchester Piccadilly. But no Ivy Mount staff told us about that. To get to the tram stop ‘Eccles’ (the final stop BTW) you will have to walk for about 17 minutes.

The owner is trying to make money out of nothing. I expect to get a reply to my review, but you guys would rather provide your guests with appropriate facilities than mislead them with a couple of nice photos and the name “boutique”.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

when booking made I was told breakfast was included in the price, on arrival I was told that was a miss print so had to pay for breakfast

excellent breakfast

• Superior Studio

Would of liked unlimited coffee and toast to be offered as we were still hungry

We had the loft room which was lovely all white decor unlimited tea coffee in room free water given bathroom was stunning with a roll top bath Bar man was lovely and made great cocktails breakfast was lovely paid £5 each extra to have full English would stay again