Reviews of Jesmond Dene House 4 stars

Jesmond Dene Road, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE2 2EY, United Kingdom

#13 of 76 hotels in Newcastle upon Tyne

• Reviewed: 7 September 2018

Friendly hotel which could be so much better

We sat down to eat at 815pm and whilst our starters arrived quickly we then waited until 930 before getting our main courses. The staff seem extremely disorganised on what was a relatively quiet night in the restaurant. It was the same again at breakfast. The staff seem obsessed with getting things right on their built in computer and seem to all huddle around it rather than looking after the guests. We found toiletries half used and obviously belonging to the last guest in the shower tray 😝 The guests in the room above us kept us awake as the floorboards are super squeaky - we heard every step they took!

Our evening meal was delicious and the staff were extremely friendly

• Reviewed: 5 September 2018

As always, excellent quality at a sensible price.
    • Classic Double Room

The room was perhaps a little warmer than I would have liked, but... installing air conditioning in a period building would ruin the appearance and a fan was provided.

I've stayed here before and it's always a pleasure. The hotel is immaculately clean, the building itself is beautiful, the staff are polite and helpful and the restaurant is excellent.

A hotel that I would return to without hesitation every time I have to stay somewhere in Newcastle.
    • Classic Double Room

The breakfasts were a letdown after the stunning dinner the previous night. Service at breakfast is not as good as at dinner either.

A beautiful setting with very comfortable rooms - worth choosing the deluxe room. The room was clean and very well presented. Dinner was outstanding whether you chose the guest menu (terrific value) or went a la carte. Would stay there again without hesitation.

The perfect break

A beautiful building full of character and tastefully decorated. The staff were friendly and efficient, nothing was too much trouble. Our room had all the amenities you could want. The breakfast was one of the best I’ve ever had on a hotel. A fabulous stay. Looking forward to going back.

Room 42 is excellent.

Room 33 could do with some tlc. At breakfast had to ask for more milk as they'd clearly not bought enough for number of people eating etc. Little things.

Room 42 is excellent. Afternoon tea was great as always. Staff are a credit to the hotel. Location is excellent. Will be back.

Wud av loved to have stayed longer / sampled their dining

No air con . TV cud av been bigger .

Very classy ,. With a hint of decadence. Step back in time an you cud easily become one of the players inside an Agatha Christie novel . Loved the ambiance.

Unique classy hotel
    • Classic Double Room

Breakfast is expensive. Bedding down is so old fashion.. Member of staff driving too fast in the car park.

Unique hotel not a chain hotel. Lovely charming hotel. Reminds me of Agatha Christie . Would be a great place for a murder weekend.

Decor of the hotel is beautiful, facilities comfortable and...

Cleaning of the room could have been better - parts of the room and some of the furniture had a lot of dust on, and housekeeping during the stay was not the most efficient - used glasses not replaced with clean ones etc.

Decor of the hotel is beautiful, facilities comfortable and overall it has a very relaxing feel.

Fabulous location ,let down by not paying attention to other details.
    • Classic Double Room

The room was very hot.No air conditioning and only two of the windows only opened slightly. The bed was very hard. A new mattress was needed. Someone else's jacket was in the wardrobe ,so it suggests the room had not been cleaned properly .

The look and location of the property.The free tea and coffee.

Interesting house hotel with a touch of luxury

Meal service for a group of 8 was very slow (dinner took 3 hours). Other diners in couples were served at a more appropriate rate.

Excellent setting with terrace. Lovely public rooms with character. Accommodating staff. All four rooms for our party were upgraded to suites.

Ideally location on a quiet road - very efficiently run

I have no complaints whatsoever.

The lamb was the best and most tender cut of lamb (my favourite meat) that I have ever tasted, even when I have bought and cooked my own.

Excellent overnighter in Newcastle, wish I had discovered this hotel sooner.
    • Classic Double Room

Not a big problem for me, but room did not have aircon and a very warm night - slept with window open which I normally do at home anyway.

Beautiful property & grounds, excellent food, attentive staff

Gorgeous hotel.
    • Classic Double Room

Unbearably hot room in this hot weather but couldn’t fault anything else.

Gorgeous hotel. Lovely spotless room and friendly staff. Outdoor areas for drinks were very pleasant. Free parking.

A beautiful period property in an unexpected, quiet oasis in Newcastle
    • Classic Double Room

The weird configuration in the bathroom with the wash hand basin and toilet squeezed into a very small corner when the room itself was so large. The toilert could at least do with turning round 90 degrees!

Lovely Hotel, very friendly Staff and thank you for the unexpected upgrade to a beautiful room.

Lovely hotel but unclean
    • Classic Double Room

As we were packing to leave, we found a used condom in the bathroom bin. The bin had not been changed since the last occupant had vacated that room by housekeeping, which raised concerns for us as to the overall cleanliness of the room. We also found on the desk the previous occupants key holder (they give you your key in a cardboard envelope). The envelope had the previous persons full name and info regarding their stay, raising further concerns about how serious they take the confidentiality of their guests’ data.

Lovely building in a ideal location.

A well earned chill out at a very beautiful hotel!

There wasn't anything, we really enjoyed our stay.

We loved how welcoming the staff were on reception, very friendly and warm. The hotel is absolutely beautiful with amazing grounds too. We will definitely be staying again in the future and would definitely recommend it!

will stay again if I can get a room. I usually go to Newcastle for 2 nights every 2 months,otherwise
    • Classic Double Room

Evening meal menu not very attractive = 3 superb owner/ managed italian/sardinia restaurants 5 minutes away Usually go out for evening meal

The staff were nice although we are still waiting to be...

we had a hotel room with no windows, just a skylight as the room was attic space. During the night neither of us slept due to the intense heat in the room. We opened the skylight to let some air in but we then had a gale force wind blowing round the room. The bath had gaffer tape on it, and a stain on the bedding. We wondered what the banging noise was then realised it was us walking on the floorboards. You couldnt stand up in most of the room as it was basically attic space with a very sloped ceiling. The shaving mirror was propped against the bathroom wall as it was broken. You had to lift the mini bar off the shelf it was on to open it as it had a runner from the wardrobe door blocking it. The ironic thing was we were told on arrival that we had received a complimentary upgrade. We wished we had booked a premier inn as at least you get the basics there. This room was very expensive for what you got. Very dissapointing.

The staff were nice although we are still waiting to be contacted by the manager. We complained the next morning and was advised he would be in touch. Nothing. Also in nice surroundings and lovely building.

Fab hotel, quiet location. We'll definitely stay again.

We paid a discounted price for the night but had I paid full price I would have mentioned a couple of small things that shouldn't have happened.

lovely hotel. We were upgraded to a suite which was great. All staff were lovely.

Lovely staff.
    • Classic Double Room

As beautiful as the hotel facilities and rooms were.. for the cost I expected the housekeeping of the rooms to be much better... dust on fireplaces, pictures & bedheads. Grime on the wall next to the toilet. Luxury room maybe but the standards weren't good enough

Lovely staff... nothing was too much trouble

Fantastic

Absolutely brilliant stay, rooms were modern and clean. Garden was a added bonus which we both loved. Would definitely recommend and already planning our next stay

Lovely night away
    • Classic Double Room

Had to wait 20 minutes to get in even though it was 24hr access had to pay the taxi driver more as I thought we weren't going to get in

Location and the house is stunning room was perfect staff where great can't really pick any fault can't wait to go back

If I decide to return hope we get rooms we previously

We have stayed here several times and it's been perfect but this time we were given a disability room and I felt quite disabled when I left due to washbasin and bath being extremely low. Perfect for disabled persons but not good for older non disabled persons disappointing

Very comfortable good atmosphere and staff lovely

Overnight stay
    • Classic Double Room

Tried to extend stay with night manager easier to rebook with booking.com couldnt price match

Parking , lift to room level no carrying bags upstairs heated floor to bathroom size of room dinner special great tasting food

Would stay here again, a pleasant experience.

Although the room has all facilities the bathroom looked very shabby and really needs a revamp, apart from this everything was perfect.

Lovely staff, hi quality food, really nice room.

Quiet location yet close to good restaurants and bars.
    • Classic Double Room

Noise from shower in next door room.

Quiet location yet close to good restaurants and bars. Great breakfast with plenty of choice, I sat with views over the garden. Cosy bar with good selection of drinks and cocktails. Comfortable room. Friendly helpful staff. Lovely local walks.

Luxury hotel
    • Deluxe Double Room

Jesmond Dene House was perfectly located for us, close to the Freeman Hospital and Wylam Brewerry, our two destinations on the visit! Room was huge and the bed one of the comfiest I have ever slept in. Despite a late night wedding disco, I slept amazingly well. All staff were extremely polite and helpful. Breakfast was expensive, but good quality. If you are looking for a spot of luxury out of the centre of Newcastle, Jesmond Dene House is your place.

Loved the whole experience which was a special break for my husband's birthday with our two daughters

The breakfast choice was very comprehensive but I think the price is very high at £18 especially compared to the two course meal in the restaurant at night which is £20 and superb value. My daughters only had poached egg on toast and a cup of tea, I fully realise they could have eaten more but most women don't eat huge 3 course breakfasts! I had the continental option at £14.50 and had a croissant and a cup of tea.

This is a lovely hotel both inside and out in a quiet area but a short bus or taxi ride into the city and the lovely Quayside area. I loved the decor, mixing modern with the wonderful traditional parts of the hotel especially the huge wooden staircase. The staff were friendly and although we had a couple of hiccups with the prepaid account and a broken fan in one room, they were sorted out quickly and pleasantly. The garden terrace is a lovely place to sit with a coffee or a glass of wine. We dined in one evening and the food was excellent and good value for money.

Amazing wedding location, and a comfortable stay.
    • Classic Double Room

However, eggs were both underdone, my partners were, and a friends table. Some old features in the bedroom that have seen some use and need updating, partially broken lamp shade and such.

Lovely selection of breakfast items all included in the one price. Lovely staff.

Novelty

no leisure facilities. price of bar drinks make you bring alcohol with you and keep in car.

Location, very friendly staff, excellent room, beautiful scenery.

A haven within the exciting city of Newcastle

Having to leave......

Where do I start? The shower was so powerful and the White Company products delicious. At breakfast we had freshly baked bread, croissants and bircher museli. In the room there was a coffee pot, real coffee and fresh milk.

Superb - I wish I could have stayed longer and will hope to return again soon.
    • Classic Double Room

The lock to our room was a little difficult at times but a minor detail.

Superb service and the eggs Florentine were the best I have had for a very long time. Beautiful setting and very comfortable.

as good as we had hoped for.
    • Deluxe Double Room

Food was excellent and enjoyed by all in our group of 4. There was a wedding at the venue but it did not impact negatively on our stay. Really good walks round about the hotel and convenient for the Metro.

This is a lovely “country hotel” in the suburbs of Newcastle.
    • Deluxe Double Room

Not enough or not bright enough electric lighting in the room when curtains drawn.

This is a lovely “country hotel” in the suburbs of Newcastle. It is easy to get in to central Newcastle or just stay at the hotel and enjoy the dene.

Lovely hotel, great stay.
    • Classic Double Room

Milk was off in the room.

Lovely hotel, great stay. Didn’t realise breakfast wasn’t included until check out, would have been good to be reminded of what was included during check in

Fabulous !!

I can't fault anything about this hotel.

I was greeted with a warm and friendly welcome to this beautiful hotel. I was fortunate to have a room overlooking the gardens and woodland and a lovely natural waterfall which offered a tranquil atmosphere. The room was exceptional, decorated and furnished to a high standard and was far more than most hotel rooms, suite would be a better description. I will definitely use this hotel again and recommend to friends and family.

Character property.

The room tired with ripped curtains and stained sofa .Disappointed we were in the annexe and not the main house .

Character property. Beautiful setting . Lovely breakfast. Fresh milk in room.

The hotel upgraded me to a suite with asking which was a...

No complaints

The hotel upgraded me to a suite with asking which was a lovelly gesture. I would like to return to this hotel later this year if possible.

Perfect
    • Classic Double Room

The pillows are very soft and just not our taste so we always have to ask for extras.

This is our favourite hotel in the area and we have stayed in most of the bigger chains. We like the level of customer service no ask is too much and staff are always friendly and helpful.

It was good, but could of been better.

Place is starting to look a bit ‘tired’. Plant in the bedroom had not even been watered and table it was on was badly scratched. Breakfast in the room was incorrect with 2 things missing.

Cooked breakfast was nice (not much on offer from buffet for continental breakfast).

Overall a very nice hotel, which we have stayed at several...

The central heating / hot water system or possibly the boiler in the new block where we stayed (the best and most expensive rooms) makes a lot of noise, and is quite loud in the ground floor room which we stayed in (No 36). It makes it difficult to go to sleep! A pity as otherwise the hotel is great.

Overall a very nice hotel, which we have stayed at several previous time.

Smart and felt sophisticated hotel, excellent facilities, very good vibe to the place
    • Classic Double Room

Checkout a little slow, receptionist on the phone in the office when I came to the desk. I had to wait until this call was finished which took a while. I feel the call should have been put on hold and customers waiting dealt with. I has to ask another member of staff to attract the receptionist attention and when that had happened I was still required to wait. This didn't spoil the stay but did distract from the upmarket feel of the hotel.

Room was excellent, very well equipped, felt smart. Staff came to the room to check all was OK. Restaurant was in a lovely room, with a small but sensible choice of mains. The food was well prepared and tasty, not too much. Service was excellent, attentive staff who refilled wine and water glasses. A very nice feel to the hotel, good vibes.

Stylish hotel on the edge of Newcastle city centre

Hotel with character, comfort and great staff. The location is just out of the city centre but 5 minutes walk to a Metro station and then 7 minutes to the centre from there. The hotel is on the edge of Jesmond Dene, a park area with pleasant walking.

The atmosphere was very grand although the entrance hallway...
    • Classic Double Room

The atmosphere was very grand although the entrance hallway was very modern. The bed very comfortable and the en-suite luxurious. It was a quiet and peaceful place to stay. The staff provided an excellent service.

Wonderful stay and will definately be back
    • Classic Double Room

There was only one gripe and that is the service charge we like to tip and always do but i feel it should not be put on bill when you just have a couple of drinks but they do take it off when asked

Beautiful Room Lovely friendly staff nothing was too much trouble .

Brilliant hotel but, needs new mattresses.
    • Classic Double Room

A lovely hotel in a great location. I've stayed in the new bit and it was truly first class. My last stay was in the old part and I found the bed too hard to sleep on.

Staff were exceptional, seemed genuinely friendly and not...

Television didn’t work but it didn’t annoy us at all, I probably should have mentioned it to staff but I don’t like to complain!

Staff were exceptional, seemed genuinely friendly and not just doing their job.

Not as good as previous stays.

They were short staffed and so I sat and ate breakfast amongst tables that needed clearing. Also there was a digger at the bottom of their gardens making a grotto for potential weddings. It was a pity because of the noise when it is usually so tranquil, and I hate to see any form of digging out trees and bushes. But it might look good when it is finished.

Fires were burning brightly in both rooms. Wonderful. Beds very comfortable. The young staff were very gracious towards a grumpy group of men I was sat with. They were bemoaning that their food wasn't presented soon enough. Then I'm ashamed to say they demanded a bottle of wine to compensate for this. It was duly presented. And haggled for money of the bill. Which they got! I must say I was cross with my group. But that's greedy business men for you. The staff want a pat on the back. They had a challenging evening not just with us, but with another large group in a private room.

Beautiful interior design & staff were very welcoming. Lovely hideaway!!
    • Deluxe Double Room

Beautiful room & a lovely ambience to the place. Very well thought out details (such as the interior design). Stayed for Sunday lunch & it was delicious!! Would definitely return again the future, really relaxing venue.

The staff were fantastic, always helpful and prepared to go...

Our room was in the 'loft' area of the house with no view outside and had a very claustrophobic feel. We would stay again but would definitely check the rooms available before booking and request an alternative to rooms 32 & 33.

The staff were fantastic, always helpful and prepared to go the extra yard to make our stay as good as possible.

Brilliant accommodation and food.

There wasn’t anything to complain about. We were well looked after.

We loved it and will definitely use the hotel again. Wonderful staff, atmosphere, area. Just superb.

Cosy Manor House Splendour
    • Classic Double Room

Room 25 has weird 2-tone beep at 17 mins past each hour which woke me up all night through. Couldn’t find the source but forgot to report next morning—reception should look into this!

Avocado and poached egg on toast good and a nice buffet too.

Excellent staff relations saved our stay.
    • Classic Double Room

This is the second stay with Jesmond Dene House and again the standard of housekeeping let it down. The topper on the bed was stained again and the sheet had a whole in it. We were moved to another room however and the bedding was clean. The milk which was in the fridge was out of date and unusable. It is just a lack of attention to detail which lets the place down. The wine is extremely expensive.

The staff were warm and friendly and nothing was too much trouble. The dining was as usual excellent. The view from the room was excellent. The staff immediately dealt with out issue and resolved it. We could not fault them.

Not as relaxing or luxurious as we had anticipated
    • Classic Double Room

Having stayed at the hotel before in a lovely big room with a huge bed we were slightly disappointed to have a smaller room and double bed. Whilst the sheet on our bed was clean it did have a couple of old stains on it which was slightly off putting. Due to the position of our room we were rudely awoken at 6.15am by various delivery lorries and the bin collection not to mention raised voices.

The hotel is lovely and in a lovely location

Lovely hotel, grounds, staff would go back again.
    • Deluxe Double Room

The lighting in the room is very poor. Bathroom lighting was excellent. I didn’t like being in an attic room I think this should be specified in booking. The shelves in the wardrobe were very dusty, I put black clothes on them, they came out white with dust. Not enough hangers. I would have preferred to stay in main hotel. It looks as if booking.com customers get the cheaper (not so good rooms) I didn’t mind not being in main hotel but definitely not the attic!

I liked the decor/ daily housekeeping/ complimentary tea/ water etc..,

Terrible never again

I booked a superior room as it was my partners 30th Birthday and because of the pictures online our luxurious bathroom turned out to be a bathroom for disabled access, it was dirty, there was a rusty loose hand rail, grout missing from tiles, damp mould in the silicone, ripped bedsheet, old blood underneath the sheets when we stripped the beds. Twin beds were push together to make our large double bed which my partner kept rolling into the join through the night ... complaint has yet to be dealt with 3 days onwards!! No one is answering my emails

The view

Will definitely stay here again.
    • Classic Double Room

Lovely location in Jesmond Dene. It’s just round the corner from my daughter’s student house so ideal for an overnight stay. I had a classic room and it had everything I could possibly need. The lounge and bar is very cosy and they do great cocktails. Breakfast a little pricey but delicious.

Would stay again, excellent facilities, very comfortable stay.
    • Classic Double Room

No personnel on the reception desk at arrival. Restaurant staff on the corridor could have acknowledged us to welcome us on our first visit. Experienced a delayed and then a rushed check-in because a small queue that had formed behind us. We declared our food intolerance to the waiter, then an inappropriate dessert was served. Delayed remedy of the problem due to the prolonged absence of the waiter in the room, unable to get his attention, but another female colleague corrected the mistake quickly and professionally. Apology given but no gesture of good will to compensate e.g. still charged £10 surcharge on the bill. Near miss experienced, recognised by us as the customer, rectified by staff.

Arriving in the room to the sound of classical music and ambient lighting was lovely. Personal touches in the room, such as a handwritten welcome from the manager and a birthday card were very much appreciated. Complementary facilities were excellent, e.g. bottled water in the room and fluffy robes and slippers. Main meal was cooked to an excellent standard. Staff were polite.

Amazing hotel with world class dining and service

Nothing, although breakfast wasn’t included but we had plans anyway

The staff really make the hotel. It’s s beautiful building and the food and drink are incredible, i cant emphasise just how well we were looked after though.

Truly magical
    • Classic Double Room

There is Nothing negative to say about our stay here.

This grade 2 building is absolutely stunning with the key original features left intact and the rest restored to a very high modern standard! The grand hall was a wow factor and perfect for a wedding venue! We didn't have breakfast this time as we opted for a lie in. Myself and my partner had a wonderful night he it really was magical and we will be back asap!

the bed was very comfortable

over expensive, no tea or coffee facilities in room. room cold on arrival, manager entered room after our check in which was unnecessary and intrusive. woken early in morning by deliveries or bins being emptied. part of wedding party even reception downstairs beside bar area was all empty coffee cups. the food at the buffet was awful, bread buns, fatty meat and chips, if I had gone to a homeless soup kitchen I'm sure it would have been better.

the bed was very comfortable

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

Excellent venue. Small attention to detail would have given it top marks.

Service in the restaurant was slow. The wine was over priced. The rooms could have benefited from thicker duvets given the time of year and more pillows were not readily available. The rooms were a bit cold in the morning and the controls for the heating seemed to be opaque.

The food was really excellent in the dining room. The rooms were spacious and the bed was comfortable and had most of the expected add ons (hair dryer, coffee etc)

The service in the bar & restaurant was very poor, people walking about, no one in charge, after we ordered food at dinner the staff just disappeared, we refused to pay service charge which was added automatically.

The building is very interesting, nicely decorated for Christmas.

Friendly and relaxed, care taken over the little things
    • Classic Double Room

Staff really lovely, friendly and actively wanted to help. Room was great, from the Ringtons biscuits and ground coffee to the hot water bottle! They have thought about the little things that make a difference. Breakfast was good.

Traditional gem in the middle of Jesmond!
    • Classic Double Room

The English breakfast was pretty salty. The buffet choice could also be improved given that this is a luxury hotel. The closed stairways and the hallways could do with some fragrance to rid the slightly stale smell.

Great classic hotel with excellent facilities

Perfect getaway for our first anniversary, would highly recommend

Upgraded to noble suite at no extra cost. Was a lovely gesture from the team at Jesmond Dene House for my partner and myself first anniversary. Thank you

Great family gathering to celebrate my father's 90th made most enjoyable by helpful, friendly staff
    • Classic Double Room

The beautiful property has stone window surrounds and we were unable to open the windows in our room. There was no bath in the room.

Good welcome. Staff friendly and helpful. Great meal for family celebration. Excellent location.

Unfortunately I would decline a return to the hotel because of poor sevice from staff.
    • Classic Double Room

As a couple we both found that we were not really treat with much respect by the staff of the hotel. The hotel staff made little effort to talk to us or make us feel welcome. When we seen the staff they seemed to avoid making a connnection, which made us feel isolated slightly. Because of the poor level of customer care we decided to go out for a meal rather than dine in the hotel restaurant as we felt disliked somehow by the employees.

The hotel room was very spacious and well designed, the interior was excellent. In addition, the area of the hotel was very good as it is excluded, meaning our stay was in a peaceful location.

Excellent and worth the higher price
    • Classic Double Room

The duvets were extremely heavy weight, felt I was suffocating and had to sleep without it. A warm but much lighter weight duvet would be better

The breakfast was excellent, my hungry hubby asked for 2 cooked menu choices which they acccomodated with a smile. They supplied gluten free bread which was the crunchiest and softest bread I have had in a long time and gluten free. Dinner was exceptional , wine good overall we had an excellent stay . If in Newcastle would stay again.

Loved every minute after a very long day at work! I will continue to stay here now always!
    • Classic Double Room

nothing could have been improved except the time I didn't spend in the room as I didn't arrive until 10.45pm!!

everything was amazing! the bargirl Lauren was on her game and was so impressed with her service!! Room lovely ! a suite for £99!? Wish I could get that everytime!!

Overall very good, surprised breakfast wasn't included.
    • Classic Double Room

The breakfast not being included in the price of the room could have been communicated better. I was surprised I had to pay £14 for some cereal, a croissant, and a banana.

Free WiFi was of good quality and the underrated floor in the bathroom was a nice touch.

Here for a wedding and great for that. Staff all very helpful and caring.

Room lighting poor. Bathroom lovely but again let down by very poor lighting - need to be careful shaving! Heating control difficult to understand but fortunately not needed. Bar prices silly!

Bedrooms very comfortable. Food very good. Staff very helpful.

Lovely break, huge comfy bed and luxury bathroom.

Noise from the pipes/heating, hairdryer was poor quality, junior suite was dark inside recommend asking for an upstairs room to get a view, coffee table was chipped, carpet a bit old.

Comfy bed, underfloor heating in the bathroom, bar lounge was perfect for relaxing, staff friendly, helpful and professional.

Pleasant stay in friendly hotel.

Bed linen could have been better, old duvet cover. Dirty marks on chair. In the confirmation email it said the bed would be an extra large double, it was a 5ft which is not an extra large.

Well equipped room, decent shower, plenty of towels.

Excellent - would go back again.
    • Classic Double Room

Decor was starting to look a little tired in a few places (wall paper). Receptionist has very chipped nail varnish - not professional.

Gluten free options.