Reviews of Jolyon's Boutique Hotel 4 stars

Bute Cresent, Cardiff Bay, Cardiff, CF10 5AN, United Kingdom

#8 of 32 B&Bs and Inns in Cardiff

9.7

• Deluxe Double Room

The hotel was nice and quirky, rooms were nice, clean and spacious, well appointed. Breakfast was great with plenty of options. The location was superb with plenty of bars, restaurants and attractions within walking distance. Definitely be back.

• Double Room - Room 4

Loved Jolyon, the proprietor. He is a trove of joy and Cardiff secrets and we also loved the house. Location is a block from the water and just perfect!

• Double Room - Room 4

backs on to what sounded like a building site. horrendous noises - lorries reversing , drilling, metal crashing early hours till gone 4 am. then a bit of quiet till starting up again very early. No sleep. (no earplugs!) .

lovely little place, helpful friendly owner, great location

• Deluxe Double Room 7

Would have liked a bit more light in the bedroom. At breakfast, to make things even better, it would have been nice to have granola cereal and a small pot of hot water and more milk to weaken the tea.

Breakfast was very creatively presented - 2 fried eggs joined together to form an “envelope”, tomatoes lightly grilled and topped with spinach, and plate adorned with a sprig of rosemary (?) and a swirl of sauce. Biscuits and sweeties in the bedroom was a nice touch. Spacious light bathroom with a good sized bathtub and my hands and hair were very happy with the soap, gel and hand cream.

• Double Room 3

Shower very powerful but not fixed to the wall at an angle that it could be stood under. Toiletries not labelled. I couldn't tell which was shower gel and which was shampoo. Knob on bin lid missing. Very minor points but all easily fixable.

The bed was very comfortable. The location excellent. Host very friendly. Clean room, bathroom and communal areas.

• Deluxe Double Room 7

Early morning noise from refuse and delivery trucks - I'd prefer birdsong for the dawn chorus.

Really comfy bed; lots of hot water; Jolyon is an excellent host.

Stay was too short!

Great location - right on the bay. I had a lovely view of the Millennium building which looked great lit up at night. The owner was very friendly and made a great cooked breakfast to order. Room was stylishly decorated and very comfy.

• Deluxe Double Room 5

The bed was enormous and very comfy and the decor was lovely. Staff was wonderfully friendly and welcoming and did all they could to make us feel at home and looked after. Would love to stay again!

• Deluxe Double Room 5

Double bed was two singles joined together so did dip in the middle. Valance wasnt very clean.

Great location, quirky decor, lovely big bathroom, friendly welcome on arrival

• Deluxe Double Room 7

Maybe a little clearer instructions on how to gain access through the "pink" door when first checking in.

The little cosy lounge with log fire. Very friendly staff. We booked because it was close to the Glee Club (we had tickets to a comedy show there). We were on the ground floor so didn't see upstairs or downstairs (believe there is a restaurant but plenty around if not. Would definitely stay there again.

• Deluxe Double Room 1

Friendly greeting by Jonathan on arrival, he was extremely helpful, gave us advice on where to go for a meal and drink and how to travel into the city.

• Deluxe Double Room 7

My preference would have been to have had a stand up shower rather than a bath but the room was very comfortable and well equipped non the less

The room was beautifully decorated,check in and out was wonderfully simple. The location was perfect for my needs too.

• Deluxe Double Room 7

There is nothing to dislike. More for info: bathrooms are shower over a large corner bath.

We have stayed here many times. Its our first choice. The customer service is fantastic. Great staff. They do so much to accommodate your needs. Breakfast is reasonably priced. Lovely large fluffy bathroom towels amd sweet treats in the room. Free parking at the back if there are spaces - this is a new bonus. Opposite the Millemium Centre in the heart of cardiff bay amd a short cheap taxi into the city (cheaper ordered inside than the taxi rank outside) or a regular train into the shopping centre about 5 minute walk away.

nothing just perfect

lovely hotel and the owner could not do enough! even when we complained about the heating in the room - the owner was brilliant and gave up free cold drinks :)

• Double Room 3

There was nothing we didn't like it was impossible not to like everything about this hotel

Everything was exceptional from the greeting when we arrived to the checking out it was amazing

• Deluxe Double Room 6

Nothing bad to say the only thing perhaps was the ironing board as it didn't stand up enough from the bed to be able to iron.

Wonderful view from the balcony and it was just in the right location. Walking distance from just about everything from food to entertainment.

• Double Room 3

Weekend revellers from the local bars can be loud. Strangely, Saturday night was quieter!

I came to Cardiff for an opera in The Millennium Centre and Jolyon's Hotel is ideally situated just across the Roald Dahl Plass ... less than a 5 minute walk away. I arrived early owing to flight times yet I was warmly welcomed by Jonathan, offered tea or coffee and advised the time my room would be ready (within the hour). Room 3 was decorated in an attractive Moroccan style with adequate storage, an iron with board, a hair dryer, a very comfortable bed and a well equipped bathroom. The facilities were better than many larger hotels. There were many bars and good restaurants in the neighbourhood. For its hospitality and comfort, I highly recommend Jolyon's Boutique Hotel.

Nothing at all.

It was a home away from home. Staff literally could not do enough for me...the breakfast was freshly cooked. I will definitely be back - in fact, I enjoyed it so much, I have decided to hold a regular clinic in Cardiff, just so I can stay there! Jolyon and Jonathan are perfect hosts!

• Double Room 3

Great staff, with helpful communication as I was running later than expected. The type of service you only get with a more personal hotel such as this.

• Deluxe Double Room

Only thing I’d say was the room we were in was toasty warm and we needed a fan and to open windows to cool down, visit was January. However fan was already provided.

The boutique hotel has been decorated with luxury and comfort. Very hospitable staff and personal welcome from the owner. Great location. I cannot rate this hotel enough!!! Everything was thought of hairdryer and iron also in room...👍

• Deluxe Double Room 6

Small free car park at back of hotel, which was full for 1 night we were there, but there are pay and display car parks all within walking distance.

Excellent location in the heart of Cardiff Bay, walking distance to all the main bars, restaurants and attractions. Despite its location it was quiet in the rooms at night.

• Double Room 3

No negative points. Really glad we booked this hotel. We have stayed in hotels that are part of a chain in the bay and this was much nicer and better located.

Lovely friendly welcome. Great location. Beautiful rooms..

• Deluxe Double Room 7

We had a fabulous four poster bed in our room .We were going to a show in the millenium theatre and the hotel was so handy for the theatre and cardiff bay restaurants

• Deluxe Double Room 7

Nothing to dislike but be aware that there are steps into the hotel and stairs to the rooms and basement. Parking at the rear is free but limited to 4 or maybe 5 cars. There is paid parking nearby.

Excellent location for visiting the Wales Millenium Centre or any of the great eateries in the area. Super helpful Manager. Comfortable bed, nice linen and beverage tray. Comfy small lounge with wood burner. Breakfast room is down in the basement. Freshly cooked to order and good selection. A really enjoyable overnight stay, we'll certainly stay again. Thanks to the Manager, Jonathan, who went out of his way to look for a mislaid item and who seems to be cloned!

• Double Room 3

It's a very noisy location especially at night, the bathroom needs a shower screen or curtain to prevent everything getting soaked when you take a shower.

Host Jonathan was delightful. Warm welcome, fire on, lovely! Our room was on the small side and quite dark. The bed was ok but the pillows were very uncomfortable and lumpy. Great location for exploring Cardiff.

• Deluxe Double Room 7

The staff were very friendly and accommodating. They provided helpful advice about the local area and recommended restaurants to eat in. You were made to feel at home and very welcomed.

• Double Room 3

First time we have stayed in a boutique hotel usually used travelodge ect. But this was superb lovely room with a Moroccan theme , just the right size all the facilities were perfect and the staff very attentive & helpful . Would defiantly recommend and Stay here again without hesitation .

• Double Room 3

Jolyon was most gracious. There had been an error in the booking, and he came back into town especially to make sure that we had a place for the night. He comped us with a lovely traditional Welsh breakfast the next morning. Jonathon and his staff were so gracious and kind to both of us. This was the highlight of our time spent in Cardiff. We so appreciate the extra kindnesses..

• Deluxe Double Room 7

Lovely property, in a great location right next to Cardiff Bay and the train into the city centre. Jonathan was a great host, very friendly and hospitable.

• Deluxe Double Room 7

I think it must be one of the creakiest beds I have ever slept in! The mattress although fairly comfy when in, was damaged at the edge and even caused me to almost fallout during the night! Also, the over-bath shower for some reason had no curtain or screen of any sort, causing a complete flood when my wife washed her hair. I mentioned the shower problem when leaving, to which I was informed 'You stayed in our smallest most compact room sir'. I fail to understand the connection, and the bathroom was in fact plenty big enough, especially to accommodate a curtain!

The staff were helpful and the location is superb, straight across from The Millennium centre where we were working. Also Parking was offered which was really helpful as I didn't realise at the time I booked it.

Absolutely nothing!

Really friendly and welcoming - lovely room, freshly cooked breakfast, could not have asked for more! Only suggestion would be a shoe horn in the bedroom.

• Deluxe Double Room 6

Could do with a shower curtain over the bath.

Cleanliness and decor fantastic. One of the best ever. Lovely welcome and customer care. Attention to detail was excellent. Great location.

• Double Room 3

We had a beautiful bath but no real option for a shower. The shower head that was attached wasn’t at shower height it was just above the taps. Unless you have someone who would be willing to hold the shower head whilst you shower it’s a bath only option. When our curtains where open people across the road in their own beds/ living rooms/ kitchens could look straight at us in bed and vice versa. Not very private. Booking.com hadn’t updated to tell me there was now parking available so I had to pay to keep it in a looked up parking about 10 minutes away. I would recommend to this hotel to invest in triple glazing as we could hear paedestrians conversations clear as day as well as all the traffic and bin emptying.

Loved our room theme. It was beautiful. Loved that you had sweeties to help yourself to. Great location and lovely staff. I really liked that I didn’t have to walk past a member of staff behind a desk to go in and out (I hate that) - so that was brilliant.

• Double Room 3

However, I was given the price on Booking.com and then I paid at the property. I didn't check at the time (more fool me) and somehow, the price was inflated by £2.50. No big deal but that wasn't the price quoted. I emailed the hotel for a simple explanation/ apology and ...... NADA! Nothing. No reply. Disappointing! It wouldn't prevent me going again, however, I will be checking the bill if I do visit.

Location. Ideal for the Millenium Centre, Cardiff bay etc King sized bed all to myself. Nice walk in wet room. Breakfast very nice. All in all, nothing to complain about.

• Deluxe Double Room 7

Bit of a shame the hotel has not got a bar .

Great location . Staff could not do enough for you . Can not wait to visit again . Caught the water bus up into town ,best way to travel .

• Deluxe Double Room 7

A hidden gem! Incredible location with fabulous rooms, can't wait to return, great bus,taxi and even water bus into town, Jonathan is fantastic, very informative and obliging (and funny!) quite simply don't miss this unique hotel!

• Double Room 3

Warm welcome by the owner, Jolyon & the manager, Jonathon, was very friendly, cheerful & helpful & made our stay very pleasant. Perfect location for the opera house!

• Deluxe Double Room

Had a room with a spa bath but no overhead shower so couldn't use because I'm disabled

Comfortable bed. Good Breakfast. Very helpful and pleasant staff

• Deluxe Double Room 7

View poor as we had a ground floor double room overlooking side street room was a little dark

Lovely manager very accomadating nothing too much trouble beautiful sitting room and decoration throughout

• Deluxe Double Room 7

Really impressed with the location. Lovely room & smashing bathroom; everything tastefully decorated with care, charm and attention, loved the personal touches and real French vintage wooden furniture. Thank you 'Basil' for your tips and advice, we didn't have time for breakfast but we will make sure we do next time (looking forward to your Monmouth sausage - not a double entendre & meeting manuel!) With so many restaurants and eateries all around this Boutique Hotel we were spoilt for choice. We decided on the Indian restaurant right next door which we can heartily recommend & the PH a little further along. We thoroughly enjoyed our 'ferry ride' to Cardiff TC'. What an excellent short break we had, made all the better by our excellent Host, Thank you :-)

• Deluxe Double Room 7

The only problem for parking is the kerb which my type of car cannot handle.

Owner and staff were friendly and very helpful.Room was superb in every way.Hotel was quiet and very relaxing.

• Deluxe Double Room 5

Jolyon and his staff were friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. Their advice and assistance made the visit memorable in all the right ways. The location is ideal for not only enjoying the docks and area, but for strolling to town.

• Deluxe Double Room

Breakfast was a little disappointing: not from choice but from undercooked egg, and cold beans, Choice itself was excellent.

Really good room and lovely location looking over the bay. Excellent bathroom and comfy bed. Manager was friendly and welcoming, as was the breakfast lady.

• Deluxe Double Room

I didn't like leaving, I didn't like that from now on, everywhere else will seem inferior.

Faultless, from the owner to the room, to the location and the breakfast.

• Deluxe Double Room 6

I didn't like having to leave! Haha

This place is amazing. Jonathan is a super cool, friendly guy and the rooms are amazing. Ours had this really funky lemur wallpaper and a gorgeous patio. The location was also incredible! Right on Mermaid Quay, across from the millennium center.

• Deluxe Double Room 7

It wasn’t clear upon arrival at the hotel that the car park at the rear was intended for guests as the signs said keep clear no parking. It wasn’t until breakfast the following day we were made aware that it was guest parking. Also our key card wasn’t working upon arrival which was sorted out over the phone at the property but as we arrived at 9:00 this wasn’t ideal.

The property is in a good central location and reasonably priced. The breakfast was excellent and we will be returning when we visit Cardiff again. The rooms are really clean and we were not expecting them to be cleaned whilst we were out during the day but we returned to find the room spotless. The staff are really friendly.

• Deluxe Double Room 5

Absolutely stunning. Thank you to Jonathan. Could have done with a little more hot water as seemed to be tepid but otherwise perfect. Missed breakfast unfortunately. J

• Double Room - Room 4

Posh bathroom had corner bath; personally prefer a walk in shower. Other rooms do have this type of shower. Learned that a "Glamorgan Sausage" had no meat but was made of leek and potato !! Ok but surprising, and would have preferred pork or beef

Warmest possible welcome. Superb location for Welsh National opera. Shops and restaurants are one minute away. Would always choose to stay here. Rooms are different from each other so discuss with staff before booking to ensure you get the one most suited to you. Book early as they fill up quickly for Millennium Centre Events.

• Double Room 3

The staff were very friendly and nothing was too much trouble, great attention to detail and extra touches such as the sweets and complimentary refreshments in the room. Nice choice for breakfast and all freshly cooked

I had room one the one with the massive four poster bed. I felt like a princes. The bed was so comfortable,best nights sleep I've had in a while. The bathroom had a walk in shower & a the most loveliest deep big bath to die for. You have sweets in your room, hot chocolate,cookies,bottled water & a selection of teas & coffees.

• Deluxe Double Room 5

The extra costs incurred due to booking with booking.com.

Customer service was excellent. Breakfast was made to order. Unfortunately found out too late that this would have been free if room booked direct with jolyons

• Double Room - Room 4

It was a shame that the hotel was next to a pub meaning it was very noisy at night. As we couldn't open the window due to the noise it was also very hot.

Staff were lovely and upgraded us to room 1 before we got there. They were lovely to talk to and did everything to make our stay comfortable. Lovely room in the middle of the bay within walking distance of everything. Breakfast was great, and checkout at a helpful, sensible time.

• Double Room 3

It is a small thing but it would have been better if there had been a full stand up shower in the room. Although my son loved having a bath every night.

The host was brilliant, very welcoming and very knowledgeable about the local area. The fact that some of the Dr Who actors had stayed in the hotel and he was able to tell my son that one of the Drs stayed in our room made his day. The breakfast was great and a great start to the day. The bed was huge and very comfy. The location could not have been better. right in the heart of Cardiff Bay and just a few minutes walk from the bus/rail and airport links as well as all the local attractions.

• Double Room - Room 4

Lovely friendly people always will to help in any way they can.

The look and feel of the place was wonderful with modern touches next to antique furniture.

• Deluxe Double Room 5

The hotel is a curious mix of old reclaimed furniture and very modern decor, it is very pleasant. The welcome provided was warm, friendly and very informative regarding the places to visit in Cardiff. The recommended restaurant (Cote) 100yds from the hotel was very good and reasonably priced. Beds were very comfortable, large bathroom was well laid out with a huge kidney shaped bath. Breakfast was good quality , cooked to preference.

• Double Room - Room 4

Loved our stay at Jolyon's Boutique Hotel. From the get go the staff were very welcoming and friendly. Our room was spotless and very nicely presented. Would recommend to anyone staying in the bay! Beautiful!

• Deluxe Double Room 7

The room we were in was just too small for a couple, twice I knocked my ankle between the bed and the unit as the gap was so small. Would not have been able stay two nights in that room.

• Deluxe Double Room 5

Very friendly host, lovely boutique property, in an absolutely ideal location for the Docks area. Very nice room, recently redecorated, very comfortable bed.

• Deluxe Double Room 6

The bedrooms are all done differently and are wonderful, special little extra touches like sweets in a bowl and lovely biscuits. Everything really thought through. Jonathan the owner couldnt have been more helpful and the breakfast was amazing

• Double Room 3

Myself and my grand daughter stayed here for one night whilst in the bay for a show, the location of the hotel is perfect for all the the bars restaurants taxi's etc and opposite the millennium centre! Owner was very welcoming and friendly and nothing seemed too much trouble, we had a lovely clean room on the first floor with a fabulous bathroom TV tea/coffee etc and some lovely sweets and biscuits for a finishing touch, This hotel will definitely be my first choice next time i'm down the bay.

Nothing at all!

Beautifully decorated room, extremely comfortable bed and a little veranda on which to enjoy a glass of wine (or two). The perfect location to enjoy Cardiff Bay and the theatre! Breakfast was varied and delicious and our host was wonderfully warm and welcoming...will definitely stay again and would highly recommend!

• Deluxe Double Room 1

A bit difficult to see the TV when lying in bed ! So minor.

Really helpful Owner on arrival, both with local information as well as getting my car parked. So really 5 Star Customer Service. Went on business, but would definitely go back for a weekend stay. Lovely area with some nice restaurants, etc. Lovely room with huge 4 Poster bed and great wet room.

• Deluxe Double Room 6

Only lack of a shower curtain but shape of bath prob reason ...

Great room,bonkers wallpaper... private terrace (room 6) nice bathroom. Great location for Bay Beach. Friendly staff, good breakfast. Nice tray replenished daily , sweeties too...Will def be back :-)

• Double Room - Room 4

No actual dialing instructions (numbers) to contact off-site staff by phone after 6pm. Bathroom equipment was either lacking or more style over function. Basin taps and plug clumsy to use. Bath shower bracket broken and unsafe (reported) & knob to open plug was loose. Heated towel rail did not heat up when valve opened. No toilet brush. Two level floor potentially dangerous.

general ambience, good breakfast

• Double Room - Room 4

We arrived at the hotel a little later than expected due to traffic but Jonathon waited for us. I ran in with a few things that i wanted him to put in our room and he did it straight away. Lovely man. The location was absolutely brilliant. We had a really nice curry (next door) walked 20 yards to a cocktail bar, stayed all night and had a great time. The staff are so friendly and helpful. This hotel is clean and nicely decorated and I really couldn't rate it any higher. Would stay again if travelling to Cardiff. Thank you, Nicki and Gareth x

• Deluxe Double Room

Bedroom décor & furniture needs upgrading. Some late night noise, dificult to have window open especially on ground floor. Breakfast/dining room needs refurbishment.

Good location, large room. Helpful staff.

• Deluxe Double Room 7

Unfortunately during our stay, we were on the ground floor and the single window wasn't able to open. The weather was very warm which meant that the room itself was unbearably hot with no aircon or window open. We resolved to going for a walk after midnight to try and cool down. My partner went to use the shower and whilst trying to turn it off the handle broke off. This meant that we were unable to shower in the morning.

Location is fantastic if you are visiting Cardiff bay. Just a few steps to the theatre and to all the restaurants. Bowling alley and Cinema close by also. Décor was lovely and very clean. Complimentary water, biscuits in the room was a lovely touch. Check in was easy. We arrived after 7pm on a Sunday evening and was explained the check in over the telephone. The member of staff was very helpful.

• Deluxe Double Room 7

Nothing, there was nothing to dislike.

Everything from the amazing location to beautiful and clean room and bathroom, as well as extremely nice and helpful manager exceeded my expectations. Breakfast was also very tasty.

• Double Room 3

The manager was extremely helpful and friendly, nothing was too much trouble. The hotel is in an excellent location on the Cardiff bay and is correctly described as a boutique hotel. The Welsh breakfast & vegetarian version are really tasty. Excellent all round.

• Deluxe Double Room 5

We were asked for an approximate time of arrival in advance and we informed the hotel that it would be between 6 - 8pm . However when we arrived at 6.15pm we were kept waiting on the doorstep outside a locked door in excess of 20 min before we were able to contact a member of staff and gain access.

Location was excellent and the room was very comfortable and clean.

• Deluxe Double Room 5

Excellent location on the bay, lots of restaurants and cafes within a short walking distance, boat taxi on the bay or plenty of local buses to take you into the city. The room was beautiful and had a lovely view over the bay and roald dhal plass. Breakfast had an amazing selection and the vegetarian breakfast was lovely. We had an issue with booking.com on arrival but Jonathan was amazingly helpful at resolving this issue. Would 100% stay again if we were in the area

• Double Room - Room 4

Later breakfast time would have been nice - but we were being lazy and the Portuguese bakery over the road more than made up for it with their fabulous coffee and portuguese nata!

The massive bathroom

• Deluxe Double Room 1

Comfortable atmosphere of a boutique hotel. Situated on the bay with plenty of places to eat. Its a fabulous location. Open kitchen below stairs with friendly staff and locally sourced breakfast food. Would stay again

• Double Room - Room 4

Unfortunately, the car park let the hotel down. No proper layout just a piece of land with no proper finish to it and very uneven. Had to mount a large kerb too. We didn't park there.

Very accommodating in every way to make you stay more pleasurable.

Nothing to say here!

The room was beautiful and clean, bathroom was very impressive with a wet room shower, plus bath, soft towels. The staff were wonderful, even brought us an elderflower presse on arrival as it was rather hot. The breakfast was all locally sourced and some of the best bacon we've had. The position of the hotel is perfect for the Bay and all it's bars and restaurants, basically... stay here!