Reviews of Kensington Hotel 2 stars

East Parade, Rhyl, LL18 3AG, United Kingdom

#8 of 8 hotels in Rhyl

5.5

• Standard Double/Twin Room

The bathroom floor was dirty and toilet seat wonky also toilet didn't flush properly, Saw one person when we checked in and no one else after was available to ask any question. Shower nice however curtain doesn't quite come to rim of Bath and the floor ended up soaking.

• Premium Room with Sea View

No parking, caused a bit of trouble for us. We were disturbed during our nap and woken up to move our car when we believed we had parked it in the right place. Room was lovely but a bit run down. Not the hotel’s fault but there was a couple in the room next door who were shouting and making noise until the early hours.

The bed was comfy and the view was lovely. Good location to shops and arcades etc.

No complaints at all.

Beautiful location, right on the sea front. Lovely family run hotel. Very pleasant people. The family room was amazing!! We had a lovely stay there. Even when we needed an extra night, they were more than happy to help with sorting another room for us.. fantastic for your money!! Already looking for more dates to book with them. Thank you so much for a lovely stay with Kensington Hotel. * * * * * 😁

• Family Suite

The hotel needs redecorating through out. The shower didn't work and there where holes in the walls.

The staff are lovely, family room very spacious and right on the sea front.

• Standard Double/Twin Room

No on site parking. Flights of narrow stairs and concern over exit in event of fire. In process of renovating. Old fashioned

Sea view and proximity to promenade and town

• Premium Room with Sea View

Stains on pillow cases, dirty room, very old mattress. Staff we not very friendly told us to move our car as the owner has just passed her test and wants to park there! being asthmatic i could never have stayed in such a dirty place I would have made myself ill. Walked out after less than 30 minutes disgusting place only good thing is the location. They could not even be bothered to clean the mirror properly could not see init.

I did not like anything about this place we walked out after not even half an hour with stains on the pillow cases and dust everywhere.

Everything was filthy & stained, pillow cases/pillows, duvet covers/duvets the mattresses were that bad they needed burning! Damp walls with mold, even the curtains were stained!!Our room was a fire exit!! Showe was not fit to use!! Absolutely horrific, a health and safety nightmare! All 6 of us, 2 rooms, left after 1 night with bites!! No "staff in the building until 10 am - we were out by 7.30!! We weren't staying any longer than we had too! So no one to complain to or ask for a refund!!! Photos to back up everything I'm saying!!

Absolutely nothing!! Except leaving at our first opportunity!!

• Family Room

Room could do with being updated. Mattress a bit uncomfortable but was value for money. No breakfast as kitchen being re done. No parking at hotel but had no problems parking in side road.

Really friendly and helpful owner. Hotel right on sea front in Rhyl.

• Standard Double/Twin Room

The "hotel" is abandoned. It smells, no maintenance (holes on the floor and the wall), most things not working (hot water, w.c. ventilator) and, although there was a "reception", we were standing in the rain to let us in because we were early in our appointment for check-in! You can also add in a ready to fall apart wardrobe, a terrible mattress, a heat radiator with a broken wheel and a toilet flush open ajar to get the whole picture.

• Family Room

Broken bed, toilet seat, tv control, no mattress protector on double bed, the list goes on dated tired hotel needs major upgrade... smells and is damp to the point our wall paper fell off the wall.. so bad I asked for a refund!!

close to where I needed to be

• Standard Double/Twin Room

Was full of mold and rust in the bathroom very dated needs a referb very poor hotel was contemplating sleeping in my car but slept in my clothes could nt wait to get out

• Family Room

The steps before the entrance.was a struggle with the pram.

The lady was polite and very helpful. I went with my mum,who has disabilities and one year old son.I asked if we could go on the first floor and she upgraded us because originally we was on the second floor. The room we had was sea view, plenty of beds,plenty of room.was very happy.we really enjoyed our stay.

Someones radio on all night

Proximity to the friends we were meeting. The seagull that came to visit everytime we went to window. Friendly receptionist

• Standard Double/Twin Room

ROOM 10: Shower Curtains definitely needed swapping out for other ones. They didn’t look amazingly clean, however could tell they were very old and put me off when I was showering. The curtain wasn’t clipped on properly either and it was bent which meant water was escaping onto the floor. Besides this, a warm lovely stay <3

Warm & Welcome staff members & comfortable stay.

The room was dated, bedding wasn’t matching, shower curtain was dirty and crusty, toilet didn’t flush very well, the tap in the sink was abit dodgy, and wardrobe was broken and smelly

The location of the hotel was fabulous and the staff were lovely and very helpful!

• Premium Room with Sea View

Loud squeak to bathroom door which did not bother me but might have disturbed others at night. Bathroom wall too , a crack large enough tyo see through between an old cupboard and the corridor behind, bit unsettling.

downstairs room made available when I could not manage flight of stairs. Room was clean, quiet and comfortable.

• Family Room

It's was excellent the only thing I'd say is get a little bar and a smoking area on top floors too for people with families that don't want to go far.

• Standard Double/Twin Room

No breakfast after paying £41 I did expect a breakfast, I had to find a place to get a breakfast

The easy way to getting to the hotel from the railway station

• Premium Room with Sea View

Nothing I was glad just to get a way from the rat race and relax with out thinking about work

Everything it was great going back for 4 nights in may 4th to 7th of may it was a 4 poster bed well comfy views was stunning if you want to crash out this is the place there are plenty of places to eat out as me and my partner did its not a problem I loved it some people are snooty Oh it's not for us sorry there loss iam well going back . there is TV in the room so you can stay In and relax and ,and internet so you can send e_mails and catch up on demand

Cold room, broken mirror, taps and toilet didn’t work properly, musty smell, really old broken facilities and on the whole very uncomfortable and did not meet the expectations of the pictures and how they described it on the website.

Close to the beach.

• Standard Double/Twin Room

a very cramped room. Heating inadequate. no radiators only oil filled radiator and nothing in bathroom. small double bed and poor mattress. not much room to walk around for 2 people and no chair to sit on. dirt on wallpaper. space outside window allowed seagulls to pester and peck on window!dont blame hotel for this.

good location. Ground floor room for older people. good quality tv. Friendly staff

• Standard Double/Twin Room

Almost derelict. No money spent on it in 30 years. Smell of damp/mould masked by 3 air fresheners in my tiny room. Doors looked like they'd been kicked in and repaired a few times. Taxi driver told me in the morning that it's used by the council to house homeless and junkies. Dirty, smelly, uncomfortable and at £40 a night, expensive. Unfit for human habitation.

Leaving it.

On entering the hotel it looked dark and dingy and there was a pungent smell the Room was cold and damp. the beds looked old the bedding was mismatched en-suit was dirty fittings where rusty door handle poorly fitted the door bolt latch was hanging off £47 price a disgrace with no Breakfast no parking facility you had to pay for local car parking

Cold showers , towels smelled musty, shower curtain mouldy . The general state of the rooms and fittings was very poor . The bed dipped heavily in the middle . Fire alarm went off at 10.30 pm (false alarm) and woke everyone up including the baby .

Everything was fine.

Good location.Sea view.Comfortable bed. Tea and coffee making facilities. Well stocked with tea coffee sugar and milk. Towels and bedding spotless and adequate toiletries. Would stop here again.

The sheets were too small for the bed. The curtains did not shut properly. The mattress looked old and stained. There was no hot water. The windows were grimy.

• Budget Double Room

Very tired and shabby, needs total refurbishment. eas upgraded to premium room but would not like to see budget room considering state of premium room

• Standard Double/Twin Room

The furniture was very old, the king size bed only had a double duvet and therefore, did not reach the sides of the bed. The sheets and towels were old and stained, as we were only there for one night I picked the best of the two small towels for my husband and I to share. There was no way we could have a shower because of the towels. The tops of the taps had been put on the wrong taps, so I washed in cold water and was cleaning my teeth in hot water when I realised the fault.

The room and bathroom were both clean. The king size bed.

• Standard Double/Twin Room

Needs decorating, the walls are too thin, the bathroom door didn't close, the TV only had a few channels, we only had one towel

Good location, cheap, bed was comfy, free toilletries

No dining room, no breakfast, cat food dishes in the reception and what looked like a litter mat on the floor, a man came from upstairs with his pj’s on for a cigarette just outside the main door where there’s a container full of cigarette ends. I have since learned that people actually live there on a permanent basis - strange lights all had bulbs missing and in case of fire I don’t know how we would have got out the window only opened so far

NOTHING I would not recommend this hotel it was dirty smelled of smoke in our room both sink taps were hot in the bathroom you also couldn’t see the beautiful scenery outside because the windows were so dirty and I shall be contacting Booking.com for a refund

Room not ready on time. Minimal welcome and no information. Breakfast not available - kitchen under refurbishment but a continental breakfast could have been offered. Cold water taps ran warm/hot in both rooms. No member of staff seen after initial key handover - on leaving keys had to be left on hall table.

Convenient location. Low cost.

• Budget Double Room

I was very reluctant to use the bathroom (shower/toilet room) because of the most unpleasant odour, a strong air freshener of some description would be the minimum requirement if the next unfortunate guests are expected to use this facility. I was equally reluctant to try to open the window for some fresh air. The window frame had been covered with black tape and looked as it if may not be the easiest to close again.

The bed was comfy enough for me, the room was clean enough for me and had a sea view.

• Standard Double/Twin Room

No food facilities, no decafe coffee or tea offered. The whole place needs upgrading, could not pay by card. Radiator hanging off the wall, window handle broken, shower screen was dirty and rusty in places. Some ones toothbrush lying on the floor in bedroom. Parking the car at the rear of the property was an experience.

The view

• Budget Double Room

The cold.Only 2 sockets in the room.You have to unplug one to conectar the other.

The rooms are cold.I could not get warm dispite have an extra heater.

• Standard Family Room

The toilet door was broken and wouldn't close. The shower was awful didn't feel like we would be and cleaner for using it. Bedding all mid matched and poorly fitting. Bedroom door blew open in the middle of the night. No central heating. Generally draughty and not somewhere I would stay again.

• Standard Family Room

Worst digs I’ve ever had the misfortune of staying in.Absolutely barking/carpets covered in shake and vac to mask the the smell of dog pish. Bedrooms riddled with mold and dampness.Place should be shut down. I could go on forever but enough said me thinks rank rotten👎👎🤮😷

• Standard Family Room

no proper heating in the room. It leaked water from the windows and the shower controls didn't work. scalding hot only. very cheap only £50 the night, so didn't really expect anymore. staff were fine. moved me to a bigger better room with heating and a bath...yippeee

• Family Room

the room wasnt very clean and was not up to date: bedding didnt match and the paint wasnt fresh. booked with 3 children 2 of whom in prams and was given room on 2nd floor, had to carry prams upstairs.

• Premium Room with Sea View

Décor is dated. No staff available in reception. Area is run down. Risky characters in the area and on occasion wandering around in the reception area with no staff present. Attitude of receptionist on arrival poor, thought I was entering into Fawlty Towers scenario. She was not clear on parking facilities but eventually suggested we try Fairfield Street near the hotel of the Library.

Room was clean.

• Premium Room with Sea View

Shower gel in shower that's it ... And no WIFI ??? Bth I should have asked !

After a slight mix up . Not caused by the hotel . They sorted it out very efficientlly professionaly and the staff were more than willing to help. Thank you .

• Standard Double/Twin Room

Nothing room filthy desperately need updating miss match bedding that looked ancient 2 plug sockets only old heater that didn't work properly window locks broken

• Double or Twin Room for Single Occupancy

The hotel was very dated and my room needed various maintenance jobs to be done on it . The bed and mattress were heavily stained and the bedding smelt so bad that I used my own bedding to sleep on . The tea and coffee were not replaced daily and the only chair in the room was broken and could not be used.

The manageress was very welcoming and the hotel was overlooking the sea front . The hotel was very quiet so I had no problems with noise nuisance .

• Premium Room with Sea View

Stuck in the 1970s and the mattress is decades old too. I have never had such a pain night and not much sleep. The decor was grim. The hot and cold taps produced hot water. Lamps were not all working. No one was around in the morning to complain to. I would never stay there again!

It was next to the sea front

• Family Room

The cleanliness was not that great. The hot water is not present 24 hrs, the heater is switche off in the night. Since we wanted to leave early in the morning, and there was not hot water to take bath, it was quite uncomfortable. The toilet flush fills very slowly, so if there was 3 or more people, like a family, it might be get quite uncomfortable. For a family, having either senior citizens or children, i would not recomend this place.

The property was located in a very good place. On seaside. Very good views. Also it was near to high shreet and big shopping centers. It is close to many of the tourist spots in north wales.

• Premium Room with Sea View

After reading the reviews on here I was very apprehensive!!! But they were unfounded!! Yes, the hotel is dated, but it is a work in progress. I asked for a extra pillow and got 1. We were welcomed and yes there was a puppy!! But it was that tiny, blink and you'd miss it!!! Over all we were very happy with our stay!

• Family Suite

We booked for breakfast and never received it the bedroom was a right mess.bathroom had loads of mold in it and on the walls

My son found pubes in his bed???

• Standard Double/Twin Room

No car parking when told there was. No breakfast, told us they do not do breakfast, when i booked it it stated i will get breakfast. Dirty and stained towels. No hot water. Stained bed linen. Very dusty and dirty. Cut finger on a rusty knife blade in bathroom cabinet.

the sea view.

• Standard Double/Twin Room

I was not given parking facilities. Alrhough i was charged a week ago but staff called me and saying give us your bank details your payment is not going through.

Unfortunately this was a very shabby place. Broken glass on the door entering the property and it didnt get any better. When entering the room, the bedding was a mismatch, one towel wet and damp and the other stained badly. The bathroom stank and I had to buy air freshener for it. The window latch was nearly falling off and the whole room needed a really good refurb.The rooms can hear everything that is going on in the other rooms...didn't get one nights decent sleep and left very early...

The staff were fabulous and the location excellent.

• Standard Double/Twin Room

The wardrobe was falling apart , black fluff allover bed , the bathroom taps are wrong way round , the lock on bathroom door was falling off, toilet was blocked

The dog witch was in the property

The rooms or dated shabby paint work Miss match bedding, double bed smelt off urine very strong bedding looked like it had not been changed stains and hair mouldy in the bathroom broken toilet seat I could go on 😡

Nothing it was disgusting.

• Family Room

they advertised breakfast but kitchen out of use,advertised dinning room none on site, family room on 4th floor with view of fire escape, only supplied 2 towels for family of 4 upon request supplied 1more for a three day break! the whole hotel rundown and dirty

• Standard Double/Twin Room

The hotel was really run down and in poor quality of cleanliness... the reception staff was not welcoming st all and had a dog in a cage in the reception area. Not everyone is a fan of dog so don't think she should have this dog there playing with. Open booking the hotel I was told that parking was provided and breakfast, she told me they have no parking area and that breakfast was not included. It's the worst stay I ever had in a hotel. You should not book people in this hotel through your site. I'd still be upset about staying there even if it was free of cost. Very unsatisfied customer, Donovan.

Nothing at all.

• Standard Double/Twin Room

Smelt of cat urine. Floor slopes and has loose floorboards. Bedding and towels smelt bad. Both hot and cold taps were hot. Bedroom was grubby. Had to sleep with window open due to smell

The hotel is on the sea front

Staff were very unhelpful the building and rooms need a lot of maintenance door handles hanging off no breakfast was served as stated but did refund breakfast money only as we asked for it overall ok for money but wouldn't stay again

Location was good straight on the seafront

• Family Suite

Room was not clean at all.bath panel was rotted and mold on bathroom walls.Room was very dated. No matching bedding on any of the 4 beds in the room.when we arrived there were no working lights but staff were friendly and this was soon sorted out. Handle was hanging off bathroom door and children kept getting stuck in there.No running cold water, it was coming out of tap warm.had to park 2 streets away although on the door it said parking was available at the rear of property.No breakfast was been served even though on booking it said we could order breakfast for a charge. Can't believe they charge £75 a night. If it hadn't have been bank holiday weekend with air show on, I would have left and found alternative accommodation. But this was a cancellation.unfortunately no pictures as we left by 9am

The location was good.

• Family Room

Hotel General Contacting Reception - mission impossible: tried to phone them 5 times in total 2 for wifi code (where I found the answer on the internet) and 3 times for towels where I had no answer any of those times either. Wifi - no code available as they don't do wifi but they have a hub named the Kengsington Hotel for personal use I guess. Parking - no parking at the hotel, we were informed that there was 2 spaces available at the back of the hotel: where there was one car blocking the entrance to park there. Breakfast - breakfast is advertised at additional cost they said: no breakfast available at the property. Room Beds - we like to strip all the beds because we think we're helping the staff by doing so to find a huge brown stain mark on the mattress!!! Duvet had fag burns and brown stains. Bathroom Both taps on sink was hot water. Mould was to be seennon shower head cable. Fan kept making an awful noise when the light was on. Towels that were given hadn't been dried properly and just rolled. We had two small towels and a hand towel for a family of 4. Opened the towel and there was a horrible stain on them.

Location - 2 minutes walk from the shops.

• Standard Double/Twin Room

Breakfast wasn't available in the morning but I wasn't bothered. There is a Mc Donalds nearby.

Unfortunately I had been severely delayed en route. My arrival was after midnight but staff stayed up and dealt with me. Absolute respect for this.

• Premium Room with Sea View

It stated there was parking, my friend is disabled and we were sent to park two streets away. We were given a double 4 poster bed when I'd booked twin room and there was no breakfast when it came up in green on your booking site that the price included a breakfast it was unfriendly and the worst place I have stayed in

• Family Room

Was not impressed with the cleaniness of the towels, had two for a family of four. One with several yellow stains and the other with a big black stain. Toilet seat moved every time I sat down so not a brilliant stay.This is a very old building that's in need of some Tlc.

In a good location of rhyl promenade right opposite the seaside life centre and across the road from the beach.

• Standard Double/Twin Room

4 flights of narrow stairs which were difficult to negotiate with suitcacases due to partner with i disability no lift Not offered breakfast option Had to move out after 2 days due to partners ill health and inability to manage too many stairs

• Family Room

Wait in doorstep when we arrived over ten minutes to open door.. The beds lumpy and duvet covers really bubbly... Kettle on bedside cabinet in family room,unsafe.

• Family Suite

the only thing was the lack of wi fi. As I said though, excellent value for money.

location great, right on the seafront. Room with sea view, family room so plenty of space. Brilliant value for money as the room could have slept 6.

• Family Room

There seemed to be not much communication the advertisement was misleading due to being advertised as B and B and no breakfast option I also feel the price was a bit too much for breakfast not to be included

• Standard Double/Twin Room

Dirty bedding , disgusting bathroom , just appauling!!! . Only stayed as meeting family thru the day for a couple of days . booked last minute - was £49 / nite ... shud have been paid to stay there ! Opened the window to let in some air & returned to pidgeons flying around the room which my husband had to catch & set free !!! don't go !!

Should not be listed as a hotel ! I wud not rate it as any star !

• Premium Room with Sea View

I didn't see a hairdryer available and it's a bit silly but the bed covers and pillows didn't match. And I didn't like the bright red colourd walls.

I liked how it was close to the sea front I also liked the bed frame and the pillows were very comfy also the freebies. The tea cup and saucer was very cute and tea included

• Standard Double/Twin Room

The room was discusting and a rancid smell drifted through out the hotel. No cold water in bathroom. Very poorly run no one to book us in or out of the hotel

Owner was friendly the hotel is in a good location no parking but it was not hard to find a space in the next Street

• Family Room

In need of cosmetic uplift. Although clean and comfortable a little dates. Overall a nice place to stay.

Great value for money. En suite rooms. Very quite location and extremely friendly staff.

• Standard Double/Twin Room

Wouldn't return to rhyl again, the Welsh clearly don't like English lol. It was a complete dump.

The lady was lovely, as this was a last minute booking this was the only hotel, so I guess you get what you pay for really. There wasn't anything bad just low standards and dated.

• Standard Double/Twin Room

Just needed a light in the hallway where the bathroom was. There's a few steps to get to the front door and there's a flight of steps down to the dining room which was a little struggle mainly because I was on crutches.

The comfortable bed and the size of the room was more than adequate. Decent storage space... wardrobes, drawers and bedside tables. Nice choice of breakfast items, food freshly prepared.

It was the worst hotel we ever stayed in, damp smells, dirty, dogs inside,no cold water, small rooms,couldn't get back in door locked from inside 11 pm and young children with us,guests in other room arguing very loud children terrified.shouldn't be registered as a hotel..... Disgusted....

Our friend who arrived ahead of us was given a reasonably spacious room with a lovely view. My partner and I were allocated an awful room that had not been cleaned from the previous occupant - dirty sheets, unmade bed, unflushed toilet, no toilet roll, dirt and mold, apparently the cleaner had not done the work as required. But nobody had checked, before we were given the key! We were allocated a different room, but that was very small, tired etc. although much cleaner. The TV remote was held together with sticky tape and not working easily! As it happens, I'm glad our friend (a guest from Ireland) was given the better room - but a rational allocation before we arrived would have been to give him the single one (even though we would have insisted on swapping it later, rather than him have the pokey one we were stuck with). Had I not been rushing straight out for a meeting, I think we would all have immediately gone somewhere else to stay that evening. Yes, it was cheap and I only booked it because few places were advertised as being available that night - but I will not make this kind of mistake again. I thought we could park in the vacant space out of the two at the back of the hotel. But I was later asked to move my car as the owner would be back in the early hours of the morning! Overnight parking was some distance away and quite expensive. I'm not a serial complainer - this is my first ever. And I have been very happy with Booking.com's customer service. But the company might be better not advertising such poor quality places.

• Standard Double/Twin Room

Place needed a bit of upkeep done. Taps wouldn't turn off and had an issue with hot water one morning. But overall it was nice, quiet, and comfortable.

The family that ran the hotel were extremely nice. They were warm and welcoming and even let us play with their new puppy. We got a larger bed than I expected and the room was larger than I expected for a seaside apartment/hotel.

• Family Suite

Curtains didn't close and sun didn't go down until 10 and rises again around 4. Truck parked under our window with loud engine running and men talking from about 6-7am. Bathroom was awful. Just awful.

• Reviewed: 23 June 2017

• Standard Double/Twin Room

Hotel was untidy,door handle hanging off in bathroom, hot water dispensed from both taps which took an age to turn off. The shower was barely luke warm towels were not replenished and room was never cleaned over the three days stay.

Breakfast was not available on second day due to problem in kitchen.