Reviews of Kidron House Hotel 4 stars

122 Main Street, Dreghorn, Irvine, KA11 4EE, United Kingdom

#7 of 14 hotels in Irvine

• Double Room Ensuite

We booked a double room but were given a family room on arrival. This was, to say the least, awful. A very small room with a double and single bed crammed in with hardly any space to move. The so called bathroom was a joke, very small and not enough room to "swing a cat" Stayed 3 nights but never again. Did not try the hotel food. How on earth did this "hotel" receive a 4-star rating when it is simply a small, albeit, friendly, clean Guest House. I made my views known on departure.

Good location close to where we wanted to be.

• Double Room Ensuite

Bed was a basic Spring mattress. Only 1 bedside table. The other side was squashed up against the wArdrobe and had no reading light or anywhere to put stuff. On the description it said it was in the main building with a view. It was in an annexe with no view. Not enough air. Only 1 window and extractor in bathroom didn't do a good enough job.

• Double Room Ensuite

Our first room ( we got an upgrade after my boyfriend complained) was like temporary accommodation i.e. like a box with a bed which opened directly into the car park! The second was in a different building with what could have been a beautiful big room, but the decor was awful 😐.

Very disappointed 😢 Not at all what you'd expect from a so called 4* The best thing was the food!

• Double Room Ensuite

The shower was not accessible for my needs but as it was a late booking we worked around the problem

A problem with our booking was sorted out straight away without any fuss at all. The staff were very hardworking but so friendly and really helpful

Could have had some croissants ham and cheese included in continental breakfast. It was a bit disappointing though cooked breakfast lovely. Excellent and would stay again

Lovely homely feel right from you entered. So clean and comfortable. Food excellent as we had lovey evening meal. Beautiful spacious and bright room

• Single Room - En Suite

The hair drier and do not disturb sign were missing from my room. I was aware that I booked the last room in the hotel and the next day they were happy to move me to a better room as one became available.

The personal service and attention to make sure I had all I wanted. Nothing was too much trouble. Definitely stay there again.

• Double Room Ensuite

Lighting in bedroom was difficult for reading. No two pin shaver socket. A single chair would have been appreciated.

The meals were piping hot,well presented and well cooked.Excellent vegetables. Staff were friendly and helpful.

• Double Room Ensuite

When I visit a country, I want that country's cuisine. I expect a Scottish breakfast in Scotland! Egg bacon Square sausage Haggis black pudding fruit pudding beans and tomato. I stopped using premier inn hotels, because they refuse to provide Scottish Breakfast.

The welcome was warm, the staff very friendly. The owner was also very friendly. I didn't get the chance to eat apart from breakfast. The breakfast was very good, although square sausage must be put on the breakfast! ( it's Scotland ). I did buy Square sausage and asked if they'd cook it for my breakfast. They must have forgotten! I was so disappointed! Everything else was good! Please just do Square Sausage or at least have it as a choice item! And not cheap frozen muck. A decent lorne which can then be frozen if desired!

• Double Room Ensuite

The only drawback was that we were in the second building and we had to go to the main building for breakfast.

The Kidron house was really easy to find. It is located in a good place as well. It is a nice, tidy hotel and the staff are friendly.

• Triple Room - En Suite

Being overcharged. £34.20 difference when both rooms were identical. No flexibility or meeting me halfway when I complained. Tight fisted would be an understatement.

Reception staff were very friendly and helpful, Unfortunately the manager wasn’t. If they could’ve charged you to breathe then I’m sure they’d have tried.

• Twin Room en suite

The twin room required upgrading, but happy with the double room we moved into.

All Staff were very pleasant and attentive, Hotel was very clean, excellent food and great value for money. Hope to be back soon :)

• Triple Room - En Suite

the staff where really nice and helpful especially Mandy she was great.breakfast was perfect and so was dinner we really enjoyed our stay with 2 children and a small dog .

• Double Room Ensuite

It is an older building with thin walls, and kitchen odours migrating into the bedrooms, and hasn’t been redecorated in quite a while.

This hotel is good in all the important ways: clean, good location, great food and exceptional hospitality

Weather

Excellent hotel for the money. Wonderful rooms ( I stayed in two different ones, either side of a trip across to Arran) and very clean. Restaurant was excellent. Just about to book another visit later in March. Really pleased to have found this place.

• Single Room - En Suite

Room wasn't very warm and shower only got to luke warm after running for some time. Shower did improve after I spoke to staff, so recommend you don't just put up with it, maybe even mention it on reception and have them check.

Room was comfortable and clean. Breakfast was great and staff were very friendly and helpful. Bus stop right outside.. a bus every 10 minutes or so. Bed was comfortable and warm. Room wasn't huge but more than adequate.

• Single Room - En Suite

Noise from other guests, they weren’t particually noisy but you can hear everything, next door we’re playing eye spy until 11pm! I still don’t know what’s in the car park and begins with F!

The size of the room, parking for a large van and a very good shower.

• Double Room Ensuite

Room wasn’t hugely warm in regards to radiators and bath water must be in a tank as didn’t run warm at all times.

Staff were lovely and accommodating, breakfast was great also! Lovely stay would definitely stay again

• Single Room - En Suite

I didn't get any sleep due to a party going on in room next to mine walls must be very thin after the extractor fan going on for about hundredth time and having to listen to people use toilet i had enough so went to see if any staff around but couldn't find anyone I went to room all the noise was coming from thinking it was young men and women was shocked too find it was not i informed them i had spent 7 hrs driving and i needed sleep so could the noise stop after which I returned to my room and listen to all of them use toilet again before leaving the room they weren't even guests i informed a staff member next morning after about an hrs sleep and she apologised and said she would let the boss know!!!

Beautiful place very clean cosy staff amazing

• Executive Double Room

Food wassnt great at the hotel if I was staying again I'd order food in. We just had dinner. No breakfast.

The executive room was lovely. Lots of space and facilities were good.

• Double Room Ensuite

The room was lovely but the bed was uncomfortable not enough to not sleep but restless.

The staff were lovely and the fact it's pet friendly was great. Dog loved the walks, and we loved the hotel and area it was in.

• Twin Room en suite

We have stayed here 4 times now. Everything about the Kidron is wonderful and Dilip always looks after us so well. Breakfast is superb, rooms very clean and comfy. Would highly recommend a stay here.

• Single Room - En Suite

The staff made us feel very welcome and nothing was too much trouble we only stayed one night but would have been happy there if our stay was to be longer

• Quadruple Room with Private Bathroom

Private bathroom was down the corridor near the front door. Furniture in room looks a bit tired. No water in room to refill the kettle. Only 2 cups despite family room.

Size of room

• Twin Room en suite

Breakfast was very good - freshly prepared for us at our specified time. Although our room (7) was quite adequate, it didn't live up to expectations of 'luxury' and the shower-room was very small. On the plus side, being outside the main building, there was little noise and we had a very enjoyable stay.

• Double Room Ensuite

The water was cold all the time the shower took 20 min to heat up , we had to go ask for more towels, one day they took the towels and shower mat and we had to go ask again for more , very poor won't recommend it or go back

• Single Room - En Suite

I booked online & didn't see the actual room. I registered and paid upon arriving & taken to my room which was very small & upstairs. The bathroom was literally a water closet, not what they show on their website. Beware, once you pay, you can't shorten your stay! Due to the stairs, they moved me to another room but seemed even smaller. I would have moved after the first few days if I'd been able too. I apologize that my uploaded images are not uploading correctly below, but the pictures they show are of the property across the courtyard, not of the "usual" rooms. Plus, there was no view in either room.

Everyone was very nice and helped me move rooms downstairs so I didn't have to go up narrow stairs. While they were very nice, I returned back one late afternoon to find the housekeeping pass key hanging in the lock of my unlocked door with no one caring for the room as if they'd intended to do so but just forgot. This left all of my possessions exposed to theft, including my passport! When I returned the key and inquired as to what was going on they said thanks but offered no explanation. BTW, the cleaning staff had already left for the day.

• Double Room Ensuite

The room was small and the traffic outside was noisy. The bedside light, of which there was only one, didn't work.

Convenient for a family wedding. Plenty of off street parking. The cooked breakfast was lovely.

One room we had had a separate toilet/bathroom which was a bit of a surprise as it was not shown on the booking.

Food was good - evening meal and breakfast. Good selection available and staff very helpful.

• Double Room Ensuite

The room was a little small but for only one night and the price we paid it was adequate.

Very friendly and helpful staff. Food was lovely and reasonably priced.

• Single Room - En Suite

The room and the shower cubicle were rather small, and although I am on the small side, I would have thought that someone larger would struggle somewhat in the limited space particularly in the shower.The shower, however, did perform ok.

Basic facilities, but adequate for my needs. Accommodation was good value for money and suited my needs. The staff were friendly and helpful.

Nothing very dirty

Nothing much first night. Not on suit bathroom over the landing shower hose leaking from the top hose place could do with a good clean

Arrived late. Large party going on in restaurant. Rooms were quiet despite it all. Left early in am to drive to Dublin Airport. Breakfast served later on Sunday so we missed their nice breakfast.

• Twin Room en suite

We stayed in the motel type accommodation at the back of the hotel which was more like a motel. Basic but adequate. I don't know what the rooms were like inside. We were a little disappointed. But the food was great.

The restaurant served a wonderful breakfast and dinner menu. Them salmon was the best we had in Scotland. The hotel staff can't do enough for you they were really helpful and welcoming.

Nothing at all

The accommodation & service was like a 5* Hotel. Highly recommend. We had an evening meal & it like the breakfast was excellent.

• Twin Room en suite

The lack of space for ease of parking it was quite tricky at times especially in the dark

The hotel was quiet to the point of dead but this suited us perfectly

• Triple Room - En Suite

The main car park in the hotel grounds is a little small, holding 7 maybe 8 cars, with a further 3-4 in the area to the rear where the access to garages is, we stayed in the family room and other as mentioned above a few items requiring repair (though you had to look to see them), several extra easily accessible power sockets would not go amiss.

This hotel is of a quality between Travelodge and premier inn - more comparable to the premier inn end, reports of dated were unfounded, if you sat long enough in any hotel you could find faults due to wear and tear, yes some items are a mixture or slightly in need of repair, but initial impression was of an excellent hotel - clean - tidy and of a decent quality and finish, with friendly staff and a decent breakfast choice.

• Double Room Ensuite

The room was not properly prepared. The bin had not been emptied and in the bathroom there were used toiletry items which had not been discarded or replenished giving the impression that the room preparation was slack and not checked prior to occupancy. As we were only staying for an overnight stop it wasn't worth complaining about. The "help yourself"element to breakfast was frustrating to say the least. The area is too small for the number of people who were attempting to manoeuvre between the tea/coffee area, the toaster and the cerial area. To queue for those items pretty much meant you were in other people's way as they tried to transit the room.

The facilities on offer we of a good standard and the greeting on arrival was friendly and efficient.

En-suite rather cramped

Staff were cheerful and welcoming and the hotel clean and bright inside and out with nice furnishing. Menu was not expansive but all the food we had was very well cooked and presented.

• Single Room - En Suite

I had asked for a quiet room on the booking. I then asked for a quite room on arrival. I was put above the bar. It was a nightmare. The walls were so thin, I heard an all night argument about a 25th Anniversary that went wrong! I was then woke up early by the staff being told their shift pattern outside my bedroom. I did complain about what I thought was quiet and what they did. I was given another room for the remainder of the stay. They moved my belongings to my new room minus my shower gel. Once there I had no issue with sleeping.

• Triple Room - En Suite

only small downside was bathroom although for our sole use was down the corridor and accessed with a key attached to the room key which meant everytime someone went to the bathroom they had to open the room door and then take the keys to open the bathroom a bit noisy during the night answer leave the bathroom unlocked on the latch result

Very large room with 1 double bed 1 single bed and bunk beds all of which were very comfortable. Due to us having our dog with us the staff delivered our evening meal to our room.

• Single Room - En Suite

The shower while it delivered lots of water at a controlled rate Dripped when shut off, the cubical while clean was a bit rickety and could do with a refurb

Breakfast was very good Dinner was fine but a limited menu Staff were very good Very good value for money

• Twin Room en suite

Seem a bit out of the way, not a lot in walking area. Need a car to drive to nearby things

Nice motel like accommodation with attached restaurant. Restaurant had great meals. Good place for a night sleep for a traveller.

• Single Room - En Suite

There were a few issues with the Wifi not working properly, however this is only a very minor negative.

The staff were absolutely excellent. There was nothing that was too much trouble and always had a smile on their face. The bed was extremely comfortable, I slept very well each night. The food was very good. All home cooked and well presented. I would recommend anybody to stay there if they are in the area.

• Triple Room - En Suite

Creaky stares is the only thing I can think of checking in at midnight as a family of 4 we were trying so hard to be quiet but alas with the stairs we felt like we were being loud.

Great place with kind staff. After a flat tire we checked in at nearly midnight. The man that checked us in was kind and gave us extra time for check out. A family of 4 with the youngest being 5 this was perfect for us.

• Twin Room en suite

We had a great room in the court yard which was great for the dog The staff were very friendly especially Steven Breakfast was really good I would definitely go back

• Double Room Ensuite

Didn't like having to walk in rain from one building to the next and that the wifi worked in the room, eventually, but not in dining room

Comfy bed , good meal with perfectly cooked steak, helpful person got my phone working on wifi

• Executive Double Room

No staff on desk when we checked out at 8am so had to leave key sitting behind desk.

Booked executive room with sauna Jacuzzi bath which is situated in a separate building to main hotel. Had private outside seating facility too.

• Double Room Ensuite

No bath as is so often the case these days...

Staff were friendly and very helpful, it was quiet so not many other guests around but I liked that. Nice wee walk into Dreghorn and a wee dram in each of the local pubs. Locals nice and friendly.

• Reviewed: 8 June 2017

• Twin Room en suite

We like to walk in the evenings but found the adjacent town of Greghorn rather depressing with no inviting facilities or to have a clean appearance.

The Proprietors were very accommodating, The food was excellent and freshly cooked. The location of the hotel seemed to be cantral to the places we needed to visit in Scotland

• Twin Room en suite

It was just as in my previous stay very nice and comfortable, good value breakfast and helpful friendly staff.with lots for people of all ages to do around the area

• Reviewed: 27 May 2017

• Twin Room en suite

Please remember to actually "book" the breakfast service the night before... We didn't and almost didnt get any, but the staff on site looked after us... Many thanks

Excellent room and location for purpose of trip.... Small bar on site was nice touch. Very quiet hotel though.

blanket. made us itch.

bedroom was spacious and bathroom was good size. but the blanket we used were almost full of dust and we started itching soon as we took then on. specially my 4 years and 7 years old daughters. rest of the facilities were good.

• Reviewed: 10 May 2017

• Double Room Ensuite

There were no places to eat nearby, other than the restaurant on site and the wifi didn't work at all during our stay.

clean room, easy to find, very nice staff

• Reviewed: 4 May 2017

• Executive Double Room

Extra large bed....wasn't!A shower of some kind in the ensuite would make sense.

Huge whirlpool bath in ensuite. Access to private sauna and shower, although this was not ensuite.

• Reviewed: 4 May 2017

• Single Room - En Suite

Unfair given the price, but there wasn't room to sit or any view other than a wall.

Very good value & convenient location. Easy to find from main road. Limited menu but the food was good. Very clean room.

• Double Room Ensuite

Drain of sink was blocked and couldn't be repaired. Just one towel for two people. Bad breakfast with cheap products. Food at restaurant low quality. Bed to small for 2 people. Very small bathroom.

Nice room, comfortable bed

• Single Room - En Suite

This is my second visit to the hotel and I will definitely visit again. The staff are friendly and helpful and the accommodation, as my 4 year old Granddaughter said, the hotel has everything we need.

• Triple Room - En Suite

Location is remote so depending on what you are doing in the area/if you have a vehicle this might be a factor to consider. We were in town for a wedding so it worked for us.

Great breakfast provided. Comfy room for 3 of us. Very peaceful location! Clean and had a friendly staff.

• Twin Room en suite

Alcoholic beverages were a little costly. (however we are not regular drinkers so could be a little out of touch price wise)

Breakfasts were first class and cooked to perfection, we had evening meals on both nights of our stay, Highly recommended well prepared and plentiful with chips to die for. Although not in the middle of town there is a bus stop right outside.We used the hotel as a base to explore the Ayrshire coast which suited us just fine

• Double Room Ensuite

A notice in en suite to say that hot water takes time to reach the room would be helpful.

staff were very friendly and helpful. Food was tasty and good value. Instructions were followed. Service was good.

• Twin Room en suite

Booked twin room with ensuite got a family room with no ensuite wife didnt like having to go to bsthroom during night due to having to go outside the room.

It was nice and clean breakfast was very good

• Reviewed: 23 March 2017

• Double Room Ensuite

The fact I had to have a frozen cold shower 3 days in a row was not good with outside being windy heavy rain on most days and I have joint problems.

• Reviewed: 4 March 2017

• Double Room Ensuite

That we where put into an older building across the road,it was cold and smelt of dampness.It was out dated furniture in the rooms.

We didn't get to use the resturant,it was fully booked by outside parties.

• Reviewed: 25 February 2017

• Double Room Ensuite

There are no phones to call reception in the rooms extremely dull lights in rooms staff turn off room heater without informing you. breakfast is expensive rust and black particles coming with hot water. room in which i staffed had lots of traffic noise cant sleep and it was cold. unexpected light cuts. sometime staff members not helpful. away from kilmarnock. around 5 km no good food options nearby. basic food shops 10 to 25 min walk away small toilets. there is extension of hotel that is even worse.

Competitive price

• Reviewed: 29 January 2017

• Executive Double Room

Shower & sauna room locked. Booked executive room which comes with extra facilities. Took 2 hrs to run a bath. Ended up only paying half for the room

Food

• Reviewed: 17 January 2017

• Double Room Ensuite

The room was very warm and we couldn't turn the radiator down, which meant we had a slightly disturbed sleep. The heating went off in the morning, which cooled the room down, but it would have been easier to control it ourselves.

Breakfast was good and the room was clean and tidy. The staff were very good and I liked the way you ordered breakfast in advance and selected what you wanted.

• Reviewed: 12 January 2017

• Double Room Ensuite

It said it had a suana, but when enquired abt this , it was only executives that could use it! So don't go if you want to use the suana, and breakfast was extra, not very central for irvine town centre

Rooms are nice on suite was small ,though

• Reviewed: 27 December 2016

• Double Room Ensuite

we had booked a double bed but were given two uncomfortable single beds that'd been pushed together There were red stains on the sheets and a brown chocolate or lipstick stain on one of the pillows the room was not near the main building resulting in no heating in the room The main light build had blown and we were left with a desk lamp but this wassnt a major problem Overall it nice hotel just needs a little more cars and attention :)

The location was freindly and quiet There were plenty of tea and coffee in the room Check in was quick and easy The reception smelt nice and looked very clean and tidy despite the bad weather :) Breakfast was an optional extra :) Wifi was free and very fast with no restrictions. Great for Skype business calls

• Reviewed: 19 December 2016

• Executive Double Room

bathroom and room cold until heating went on. could've done with heating on earlier.

everything i stayed in the exclusive suite room 15 across the road from the hotel. excellent value.very quiet. staff very polite and helpful. food was excellent. from dinner to breakfast. guy who was on Sat was welcoming and very polite served us excellent service thank you. parking was great. excellent night away with the steam room,shower and large jacuzzi bath was excellent. bed was very comfy. good surprise with the layout. can't wait to book with the family next year. thank you so much to the staff for a excellent stay. i would recommend this highly with 4*, gives the bigger Hotels a run for there money.home made food was a bonus. i wouldn't change anything other than eating on earlier. keep up the excellent work and service and see you next year. the negative feedback from others i don't understand.why.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2016

• Double Room Ensuite

The mattress in room 12 was not very supportive in my case, however for me mattresses rarely are after a spinal fusion and a ruptured disc.

The staff were a true credit to the business, very friendly and genuinely happy to help you. They seemed to really enjoy working there. The rooms were very clean and comfortable.

• Reviewed: 16 October 2016

• Twin Room en suite

No heating in bathroom.....just a small thing...only criticism could make as everything else so good!

Beds reeeeally comfy, facilities excellent, staff great, food...amazing!!!

• Double Room Ensuite

Shower was atrocious! Room very small. Bit of a concern over the security given that the main gate and communal door are left with open access to all.

Staff very helpful and attentive Breakfast fairly good although, having to order the day before, seemed a bit strange.

• Reviewed: 4 October 2016

• Single Room - En Suite

The room was very small. I mentioned my Allergies when booking but although they had gluten free bread it was not egg free as requested so I couldn't have any. The biscuits provided weren't gluten free so I couldn't eat them. The TV never worked as bad signal & kept freezing the screen making it impossible to watch.

Pleasant temperature . Staff were very pleasant.

• Reviewed: 30 September 2016

N/a

Everything about the service was amazing the staff are fantastic the go out there way to ensure your stay is great and they go out there to make you feel at home that's why we always go back

• Reviewed: 29 September 2016

• Double Room Ensuite

Accused and charged on our booking card for a broken tap. Which turned on but would not turn off. We are over 60s and have never been treated as badly as this

Average breakfast