Reviews of Kingscliff Hotel 3 stars

Kings Parade, Clacton-on-Sea, CO15 5JB, United Kingdom

#5 of 15 hotels in Clacton-on-Sea

Sophie and her colleagues were extremely helpful and friendly and nothing was too much trouble. We had booked two rooms and were very happy with them. We had dinner in the evening and agreed it was the best we had for a long time! Also in the morning when we asked for toast in the room it was again no problem. We will have no hesitation in coming back in the near future.

service from staff particularly at breakfast. They ran out of cereal, no milk was present without it being asked for. We ordered a newspaper when checking in but it did not appear. When we sked we later found out that one of the staff went to a nearby shop to buy it. Although the food was good we had to wait for about an hour before it turned up. All in all a good hotel spoilt by poor service.

location, room

• Executive Double Room with Sea View

Room a little small. Some road noise from early morning. Window blind was broken and not replaced (despite several requests) and did not block out the early morning sunlight.

Huge double bed. Great shower. Lovely sea view. Friendly staff, especially in the restaurant.

Bad smell as you entered the building. .. floor at reception sticky ..carpets un hoovered ..bar was sticky and dirty evening bar man unhelpful and stroppy . The hotel came recommended and it was avery disappointing...we would have left but the fact we had paid to stay until Sunday

Room was nice

Everything could have been cleaner apart from the room which was first rate. There were watermarks on coffee pots and cutlery, the floor and table tops were sticky.

The room was clean and spacious. Some of the staff were excellent but many were mediocre.

• Executive Double Room

It would have been helpfull to have details of the hotel in the room, such as a food menu and area map etc . Limited menu for the evening meal and a little expensive.

Large tastefully decorated room with sea view with large bathroom and shower. Very comfortable room, although bed was a little too firm for us. Maids came in daily. Plenty of parking at hotel. Staff very friendly and helpfull

• Double Room with Sea View

We stayed here 2 years ago and it was so much better. This time it wasn't as clean and looked a bit tatty. The bed was really uncomfortable, so much so that we left a day early. The menu didn't have a lot of choice and they had run out of basic things like onions. One evening we had to wait over an hour to order our food because the chef 'had popped out for 20 minutes'

The staff were lovely and the breakfast was good.

Would not like to stay in room 8 due to the nose from the speakers

Room very good and clean. Restaurant staff very friendly plus food very good. Location very central overall a very nice place to stay will be coming back.

• Double Room with Sea View

Room 22 is directly above the bar which plays music from 10 in the morning until about 10 at night, there is no lift, the stair carpet was covered in crumbs and fluff and was not hoovered the three days we were there. There was no towel rail in the bathroom, there was no marmalade for two of the three days, only marmite and Nutella, we had to ask for a glass for our orange juice every day, we were not offered tea or coffee top ups, my morning news paper didn't turn up two of the three days, The hotel is greatly understaffed, one waitress at breakfast time, The evening meal was of good quality but there wasn't a great choice with the same menu being served every night,

The breakfast was cooked to order, everything was cooked perfectly, the bedroom was a nice size very clean, with a very large comfortable bed, a great sea view, there is a big bathroom which has recently been decorated, the shower was amazing, the hotel is just across the road from the beach, the staff were extremely helpful, nothing was too much for them. It's only one and a half miles from Clacton pier, A very large car park at the rear of the hotel.

I have sent a long email with all issues to the hotel and now 4 days later not even a confirmation that they have received the email. That sums it up!

Service very slow at breakfast. Bed a bit too soft. Complimentary shower caps would be a welcome addition.

Lovely clean room and friendly, helpful staff. Big spacious car park.

No complementary biscuits in room. Breakfast poor, no muiseli, no grapefruit, fruit salad or choice of fruit ,only melon on offer, and no yoghurt. We ate in the restaurant, food ok but £3.50 for one slice of garlic bread with no garnish was disappointing. It looked very uninviting and poor value for money compared to the other starters on our table.

Close to quiet unspoilt beach. Parking good. We had large double and it was lovely. Quiet area but not far from shops and clacton and frinton.

It was a shame that the TV did not have a dvd facility; however, I had the forethought to bring my tablet, and used netflix, so it wasn't too much of a hindrance. The bath was large, but not very deep, and left most of me out of the water (for the record, I am of average size). The shower was also large, but unfortunately it kept losing pressure throughout the experience, lessening it, somewhat. Lastly, the price was not very well explained. I was told that I would not pay until checkout, but my receipt said £25 pounds had been withdrawn. I assumed that it was a deposit, and so didn't say anything; but when I checked out, I was still charged £50. I'm not sure if I get that £25 back or not, but either way, it was not very well explained. It seems to me, that a deposit should be paid, then the rest of the charge to follow, upon check-out. It seems to be a strange way of operating, to do both.

The room was a good size, as was the bathroom. With a car, the journey to clacton pier was easy. The room was very clean and welcoming. The price that I paid for the night was of a reasonable amount, for the room, as a whole. Overall, my partner and I were happy with our stay, and would consider staying again.

I have just stayed in the Kingscliff Hotel with my elderly parents and brother and sister-in-law as a special treat for my parents. The staff were very welcoming on arrival. The rooms were very spacious and light and airy and the beds very comfortable. The bathroom looked newly decorated and had an amazing shower. The food was also very good.

Bed and pillows hard and uncomfortable . Room itself was good and very clean

Breakfast lovely. Afternoon was delicious. Staff very friendly and helpful

• Executive Double Room with Sea View

Lovely hotel, worth the sea room upgrade. Will definitely be staying again. Really lovely. Easy parking, amazing location. Bathroom was spacious. Room was perfect.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

I know I visited 'out of season', so the hotel was very empty. It suited me and my colleague but, I can understand if other visiting people find it very quiet. I am sure that in the high season the hotel is in great demand.

The excellent service we got from the staff. Nothing was too much trouble for them. Parking was very good. Rooms were very clean and tidy, and attention to detail was provided. The price was very reasonable, and I would have no hesitation in recommending the hotel to friends.

• Executive Double Room with Sea View

Drinks and glasses were not cleared from the patio area. Staff off duty were lounging about the bar and a bit scruffy when on reception.

Rooms were very good size with comfy beds. I liked the choice in shower heads (ordinary or rain fall) also, the views were exactly what we wanted.

• Double Room with Sea View

2 grips there is no fridge in room to keep white wine cool there was no coffee packs in room and the net curtain in the our sea view room should be changed to a roller or slates because we were unable to enjoy the view but our stay was great and will return one day the points i made are to help you to make other visitors stay better

breakfast was very good

Nothing i didnt like x

It was very clean great staff Food was perfect all home made fresh no precooked food Was so lovely an going back for a relaxing sunday lunch

Comfortable, spacious room with good bathroom. Bed a little soft - probably time the mattress was replaced. Reasonable breakfast but only Nutella and Marmite available on side table. Had to ask for marmalade.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

There was a sewage like smell downstairs on arrival but I queried it with staff and they investigated. When I returned later on that day the smell had almost disappeared. I have also noticed in the bar area that that the furniture is starting to look shabby and worn. (I have visited for a few years now) And Hubby wasn’t impressed that the popular branded beers have been replaced with possibly cheaper brands- although not cheaper for customers!

The bed was extremely comfortable and bedding very fresh and clean. The room was emaculate! The staff were very welcoming and friendly.

Room and ensuite had not been cleaned properly. Shame as nice hotel otherwise

Nice size room and manager's reaction was excellent when I told her about the problem with the room not being clean

• Double Room with Sea View

Nothing to dislike, we would stay again.

Good location, we had a sea view room and the hotel's just across the road to a lovely beach. Plenty of free parking. Friendly staff. Overall a very comfortable stay.

• Executive Double Room

Not enough tea coffee and milks in room . Shower not powerful . Noise from pub downstairs late outside. Walking through bar area to get to rooms with everyone staring.

Cleanliness of room and the view

My experience of ‘boutique’ hotels is that they can be featureless and soulless and sadly this hotel felt the same. Although it was all decorated in the latest trend, there was no colour anywhere. The bar area was strangely laid out and not very welcoming. The large dining room felt empty and echoed. The serving staff seemed to have to walk a very long way with food from the kitchen.

Although I was there for work the hotel was in a good location for a holiday break, right on the seafront at the quieter end of Clacton. The food was of good quality at dinner. The bedroom was spacious and the bed was very comfortable.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

I would say the damper on the hotel is the early closing of the bar, normally this isn’t something I would be worrying about as you could then go else where however there isn’t anywhere else local walking distance to facilitate this. Also I was charged twice for the room, dealt with very quickly for the refund, however this could be a massive problem for other travellers

The rooms were lovely, spacious and modern as well as being very clean. So impressed considering the low cost

We felt unwelcome when we arrived in the hotel, the staff were over run with a private function, and didn’t seem to get care much for our arrival, stay or checking out a day early because we felt so uncomfortable.

The room was to a high spec, it was lovely and clean with all the correct facilities.

Staff not very attentive at breakfast and no marmalade. One hour wait for chips in bar after reminding staff twice, yes we did get them free in the end. Other friends had a better experience at breakfast.

Great location and seemed very clean, friendly in the bar and nice atmosphere!

There was nothing I didnt like.

cannot coment on restaurant as we didnt use it. Room was very luxurious with four poster bed. Brilliant value for money.

The mattress was aweful, when you sat on it, it just collapsed, the shower was a nightmare to set and took ages to get warm, the whole place looked tired compared to the photos online.

Convenient to the beach and good parking

My daughter and I would have preferred better wifi access in our room, however we do understand that technology isn't always perfect!

Every staff member myself and my daughter had contact with was friendly, conscientious, attentive and actually, went out of their way to anticipate and cater to our every whim or need. My daughter is autistic, but felt comfortable enough to approach the staff and ask questions or request advice. The purpose of our stay was to celebrate my daughters birthday, the first night upon perusing the dessert menu for cakes she would like, her imminent birthday was mentioned. After a day in Clacton, cake and ice cream was ordered, and having forgotten to bring any, I cheekily asked if they had any candles- the manager had anticipated this and brought a box of candles in. Absolutely the best hotel stay I have experienced. Thank you!

• Double Room with Sea View

The bar was limited on drinks as previously on the Friday night was a wedding. Disturb by other guests coming back 2.30am banging on each other doors and talking loudly in the corridors. Not a good nights sleep due to inconsiderate guests.

Had a evening meal in the restaurant on the Saturday night which was superb.

The hotel does not have any information about the menu being a very short menu, it still has its full menu online. We had to go elsewhere for food which was rather inconvenient as it was snowing heavily. When we visited previously there was all the information in the room regarding the food times and Wi-Fi code, this time we had to go and ask for everything. That wouldn't be a problem if you could get someone's attention instead of standing around and waiting. Every time we went to the bar we were left waiting for long periods of time when it wasn't busy. I paid for the room in full when checking in, then was told upon check out that they had taken a £25 deposit also, this wasn't even mentioned when checking in! All staff seemed preoccupied and not like they enjoyed working there. Banging around with tables at 10am when we were just trying to enjoy a coffee before going out in the cold, so not very welcoming.

Restaurant and bar unfortunately not warm enough to be comfortable during our meals. Possibly benefit from curtains that could be drawn to retain heat

Super comfy room. Lovely hot shower. Great staff

Only minor problem - didn't receive requested wake up call.

Room spacious and clean. Good bathroom and shower. Very comfortable bed. Staff friendly.

Took for ever to check in & out. Had no bedside lamps despite plugs (management were surprised these were missing...) The mattress was terrible, felt the base of the bed through non-existent padding - complained to management but had no room to swap with. The bathroom was large but no blinds on the large window, no towel rails what so ever to hang your towel on despite notices encouraging you to do this. Central heating didn't seem to be working correctly.Seemed that the room had recently been re-fitted but not finished!

Hotel was a good location. Nice size rooms & bathroom.

We didn't have a sea view that was down to us requiring ground floor room found room was a bit clinical and could do with a pictures about

Staff was polite and helpful and the breakfast good and plentiful and a good supply of hot water in shower

Located out the back over looking the car park - here I have an issue -why are smokers allowed to smoke close to the building where their smoke can still enter rooms above ? You have to walk through them to check in- they are pariahs and should be made to smoke well away from the building! As a business you obviously need deliveries but why do the bin men have to do this at 5.45am ? And just to make sure you are awake their grand finale is the glass recycling. And the very next morning some form of trolley (possibly plural) being dragged across the car park at a similar time - combined with the smokers chatting late into the night and then feeding their craving early meant that I am tired- hacked off and now spending the rest of the week at the other end of town. The rooms are too hot The bed has a topper - way too soft Breakfast is fine but the bacon has more grease/oil than I have ever imagined possible All said and done there are worse places but I’m not sure I want to return

Cleanliness and staff were brilliant

Nothing with the hotel though counting the multitude of dogs on a "dog free beach" was irksome.

Booked this hotel blind as only judging location for a family party. Very impressed from the moment we drove up and saw its views overlooking the sea. Every aspect of staff service was very good. We also enjoyed the fresh air on a surprisingly sunny day for February as we walked long the front to Clacton. This is a hotel I will stay at again and definitely recommend.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

No hair dryer or shower cap provided. Blind cords not secured to frame. H/S issue if these blinds are in all rooms. We had a problem with the fish being undercooked but this was taken off the bill and complimentary dessert was offered. Don't let this put u off 2 out of 3 dinners were amazing 😁

Plenty of space in the room for travel cot and baby equipment. shower was good

Nothing it was perfect. Not a single compliant about the hotel at all.

The facilities were in perfect condition the rooms were so clean and the staff were so helpful and friendly. We had a amazing stay and would recommend this to anybody! Such an amazing hotel was blown away by it.

The bed and the room were spotless clean and comfortable. We did not have breakfast this time as although the first time we tried it was nice we felt it was a little too pricey.

Problem with shower, couldn’t get it to work but it was due to an airlock and rectified itself, however, reception sent someone up immediately which was a fast response and appreciated. Could be a bit more generous with tea bags and milk in the room.

The room was very nicely furnished, decor and bathroom very modern and clean.

Had to leave.

From start to finish, from the large and apparently safe car park to check out at 6am, staff and facilities exceeded my every expectation, the more so since the room rate was so very cheap. This excelled in comparison the big chains who are found close by but I chose this hotel as a friend recommended it. The friend incidentally had only eaten there, not stayed, but commented on the overall standard. TEN out of TEN in every department.

They ask you to pay £25 deposit on case of damage. which we paid by card but the machine didnt work so paid cash but then checked bank account and £25 was pending from my account. Bit annoying as I'd paid cash and still waiting for the £25 to go back on card.

The bed was very comfortable and the shower was lovely.

The only thing we have a problem with is that we were ask when we checked to leave a deposit £25 .00 which I did on a credit card which to date this still has not been refunded. We spoke to the hotel staff at the desk who said she would deal with this and it would be back in our account within 48 hours this did not happen .On Saturday 6/1/18 I cheeked my account and it still was not returned so I contacted the hotel and told that they would deal with this .And as I say this has not been returned to my account so would you please give this matter your upmost attention .

comfort of the room

Breakfast was a bit over cooked.

Clean and nice rooms. Stayed in two different rooms, 2nd one was short notice as unexpectedly had to stay another night after already checking out.

• Double Room with Sea View

The lighting in the room was VERY poor. Not enough light coming through the windows. Very low voltage bulbs couldn't see things clear enough especially through the mirrors. One of the bedside lamps didn't work properly also. Found the hotel quite noisy with people constantly gathering talking outside our room. Also faint music being played in the early hours of the morning which disturbed our sleep. Breakfast was fair but very stingy with portion sizes ( one rashen of bacon). At breakfast had to constantly ask for things to be bought out like.. glasses, orange juice etc which should be there already or replaced in time. Could not sit at the table we wanted to because it had not been cleared in time. poor presentation.

The bed was very comfortable. The room was very clean and cosy. The view was lovely. The bathroom was spacious and clean. Good car park facilities.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

More tea, milk, sugar etc in room. Some info in the room on bar opening times and restaurant facilities.

Staff friendly and attentive. Room cosy and clean, bed comfy. Relaxed atmosphere. Would come again.

• Executive Double Room

Breakfast was adequate but lacked imagination, could be stepped up with better breads, pastries and not just the rubbery scrambled eggs that where available.

Good standard of room

• Executive Double Room with Sea View

The staff were phenomenal in their willingness to please. Even printing menus from local restaurants for us. However, the food at the Kingscliff hotel was very good. Room was perfect and clean. Though, it was the staff that made it a wonderful time, cannot rate them highly enough.

Being charged £25 for deposit, which is not mentioned on Booking.com for start. Someone tried to get in to the room while we were asleep. NOT ACCEPTABLE

It was clean, friendly and comfortable

I was expecting an average seafront hotel but was pleasantly surprised, the rooms were clean and adequate and comfortable. What made this hotel was the staff, we visited over Christmas and for the entire period despite working over the holidays they were all so helpful and friendly and couldn't do enough for you, their service is what made my overall view excellent. Breakfast was very good too! Well done to all of the team who made our stay a great one, we will certainly return.

Rooms not ready up to 2 hours after check in time as they did not have enough housekeeping staff on even though they knew they had a packed hotel. Breakfast order was incorrect and cold when it came.

Good location as near to family and rooms nice, big and clean.

I stayed with my partner and we had twin beds pushed together which was very uncomfortable The breakfast was 45 mins late and not very nice. No sauce or extra sugar for tea

Friendly staff Big room

It would have been nice to have the staff help us with our suitcases up the stairs after check in. The central heating was way too hot! Oh and complimentary toothpaste would be great too!

Friendly staff and bar / lounge. Rooms are clean, modern and neutral. Ticks the boxes.

The breakfast was disappointing, I did advise the reception staff the night before that we would like to reserve a table for 10 the following morning for breakfast. A table was not reserved, and the breakfasts were all bought out at different times, some of the orders were wrong and it wasn't very hot.

Beautifully refurbed room with good heating. Just let down by the quality of the mattress.

Excellent walk-in en suite shower - modern bathroom. Good heating and warm.

The price of the breakfast although it was nice it wasn't worth the amount we paid and the times it finished meant getting up too early especially if you like breakfast a little later.

Loved everything about the hotel the room was spacious especially the bathroom and bed was comfortable. The staff were friendly and helpful and the hotel lovely.

• Reviewed: 16 December 2017

Excellent breakfast. The staff very good, Wayne was serving and on desk. He ensured everyone had everything before he left the dining room. Very friendly hotel

• Superior Double or Twin Room

The beds were comfy. The room was perfect. The shower was the best. The staff were all very helpful, nothing was too much trouble. I think it is as good as, if not the best hotel, at a reasonable price, that we have ever stayed at.

Comfy bed, good shower, clean and comfortable. Didn't stay for breakfast but smelt good! Reception man who checked us in was very friendly and efficient.

the rooms are a great size for a single and lovely big bathroom. Breakfast was lovely The staff impeccable, they actually made the stay so friendly and welcoming will definatley go back

Cost of eating in hotel pricey can eat a lot cheaper outside

Beach front hotel easy access to any part of area plenty of good walking areas because its all flat very clean everywhere good shops and eating places will go again

The week of our trip, which I had planned with two 70 year olds and my toddler, we were advised that a Robbie Williams Tribute was going to be in the hotel that evening. While they offered to move my elderly Mum and her friend to a room further away from the noise, they left me and my daughter in the room directly above the bar. They proceeded to play exceptionally loud music, from around 8ish until Robbie came on and turned it back up immediately after he finished - even though they promised me they wouldnt. I was told, that once the doors to the event space were closed - we wouldnt hear a sound.. but that was a ridiculous statement - because even if that room was noise insulated (which it clearly wasnt) you could hear it coming through the windows from the street outside. To top it all off, once the music finally did get turned off.. they had very loud, drunk guests in the bar (again, immediately below us) whom they didnt manage at all from what I heard. They were shouting in the bar below us for what seemed like eternity and they carried on shouting on the street outside as they waited for their cab (we were also above the entrance to the hotel). As if that wasnt bad enough, at gone midnight.. the staff started dragging chairs and tables across the floor in the event room (obviously tidying it away) which essentially meant we didnt finally drop off to sleep until closer to 2am! Breakfast the following morning was lackluster to say the least.. most of it was cold, the yogurt my mum opened was curdled and the pancakes (which were like rubber) came with no topping. By the time this was brought out, they were also cold. I have to say, that while all the staff were lovely and the hotel is very cosy.. not even they could make up for this terrifically underwhelming experience.

I thought the hotel was finished to a high standard, everything was modern.. clean and comfortable. The staff were really friendly and I thought, when we arrived, how nice it was all going to be.

Location of hotel quite isolated and a fair walk to pier if slightly immobile

Good meal in bar and breakfast. Staff very pleasant and nice atmosphere throughout hotel

• Executive Double Room with Sea View

I didn't like the fact thaf i had booked an executive room for mg partners birthday and when we opneed the door to the room it was a very small double room. My partners words... this is very small. We both was not impressed sp we ended up going home as the reception man couldn't change us into the room we were suppose to stay in as apparently it was fully booked but it didn't seem the case.

We arrived at the hotel and there was no one at reception at first then a man came over to reception from the bar and checked us in after we were waiting 10 minutes. I didn't think the £25 surcharge was appropriate as it was already pre booked.

• Double Room with Sea View

Had a wedding party on my stay. They could of said to me about this. In the evening as I went to bed The Disco was in full flo. Got to my room and The Base from the Disco was so bad the glasses on the glass shelf in the bathroom were bouncing up and down. No hot water in the shower. Breakfast was a joke 20 minuets for a coffee. When I got my breakfast it was cold So just had toast. And you really need to put some net curtains what actually fit the windows. PAT test Is out of date on the TV and on the Kettle

Can't think of anything at the moment

The happy staff made for happy patron s. We will be pleased to tell our friends when we get back to Australia that when they go to U.K. They should give the hotel a try if they go to your district.

When we booked the executive double room with sea view we actually got given a twin... once we told reception they were very helpful and put us into the right room

Great location and the staff were really helpful

No room to sit and relax day time. Bar only ideal for those who drink Too noisy for reading and relaxing Few seats in bar area. Night time seats taken over by events guests therefore no other area to cozy up except bedroom and corridor!!. Otherwise lovely staff hospitality.

staff hospitality

Confusion over number of rooms booked. Very poor waitress, chatting to other guests while two tables waited for service.

Clean bedroom. Good breakfast and friendly staff. Parking good.

On the Saturday night, they held two weddings which took up all space in the bar and restaurant so there was nowhere to sit and have a drink or food in the hotel, forcing you to go elsewhere. Would have been ok if you had known and planned in advance but there were not many places close to the hotel to eat.

Food was good in the restaurant. Nice walk to pier - took about half an hour.

• Double Room with Sea View

The music could be heard in the room (22) until midnight from downstairs due to the ceiling speakers. We discussed this with the staff & they are aware & intend to change the sound system. It was not overly loud.

Staff friendly & helpful.