Reviews of Lace Market Hotel Nottingham by Compass Hospitality 4 stars

29-31 High Pavement, The Lace Market, Lace Market, Nottingham, NG1 1HE, United Kingdom

#7 of 38 hotels in Nottingham

• Deluxe King

I would recommend air conditioning in the room - It was quite warm and the fan on ceiling does not cool the room. Also maybe card keys for the doors the keyring was very big and I know we went out for the day and the evening and left this key with reception, but when we returned the staff were different and they only asked for the room number, they did not ask a name and double check the system.

Lovely room, very clean and comfortable. staff friendly. Location excellent, very nice breakfast.

• Standard Single Room

The staff were very friendly and helpful, the rooms were nicely decorated and the bed was very comfortable :) Bathroom was nice and big too! Quick and easy check in and check out and very easy to find - only about a 10 minute walk from the train station. Would definitely recommend this hotel.

The only real issue was the heat. The room was particularly hot even with the fan and it wasn't possible to open the window very far due to window security stop so I sweltered most of the night. I would understand if the outside temperature was tropical but this really wasn't the case. Maybe it was due to the fact it was on the top floor but it is something to look into.

Staff courteous , room was value for money.

Only small criticism is that when we returned to hotel at 10.30pm the hotel bar was shut although pub next door was still open .

Excellent location. Clean and modern. Our room 15 had a lovely view of the church . Outstanding breakfast freshly cooked to your requirements.

Room was very smalll and maybe the pink walls a little too bright.

We were there for a wedding and the location was very central for both the ceremony and reception. Was walking distance to all that we needed. Breakfasts were fantastic. Room was decorated in a very modern fashion.

• Standard Single Room

That I only had one night there and a lack of funds to order more cocktails

Thee whole placed was just ideal. Especially considering it was a last minute booking. Lobby is nicely fitted with a small but very smart cocktail bar attached to it. Corridors and decor throughout the building was clean and well maintained. Beds are super comfy (I say beds, I can only vouch for room 17). En suite was well layed out and if you're biggest pet peeve is crap shower pressure then you're off to the right place. Coulda cleaned block paving in that shower!

The lack of a valet for parking the car

We ended up just staying in and not even going out to the city centre because the hotel was so nice and the restaurant/bar superb.

• Superior Suite

Our air con stopped working and it was leaking all over the floor (it was the hottest day of the year). Once we reported this we were told not to use it and that we should just rely on the fan. However the fan was now just pushing round the hot air. It was an incredibly uncomfortable night’s sleep as me and my partner woke up several nights due to the hear that was building up in the room. There was little we could do as the windows in the room did not open either. When we woke up in the morning we were very tired due to the lack of rest we were able to have. We both had showers in the morning and realised that the base on the shower tray also had a really big leak. When stepping out of the shower the entire bathroom floor was flooded. By the time I had my shower the whole of the bathroom floor was soaked and it turned into a bad wet room. When we were checking out I reported these issues again and to my dismay they didn't hardly acknowledge the problems with the room. They said that they would not charge me for the 1 can of beer I had in a way of compensation (equalling to £3.50). The room was over £220 per night and they refunded me £3.50. I did not think this was fair. I understand sometimes things go wrong and problems arise but it’s what the staff do about it which really counts and in my opinion they fell very short of handling the situation well.

The hotel on appeared to be newly refurbished and from a glance it looked very nice. Staff were very polite and helpful as we checked in on the Saturday afternoon.

Only problem was the bottle collection outside at 4.30am - not the hotel's fault but not the nicest wake up call and has happened when I stayed here before so seems a regular thing! Hotel itself was great and staff very friendly/professional.

If being polite, the decor in the room could be described as mininmalist but it wasn’t a style I appreciated. Definitely small and cramped. I did like the room but I was expecting better for the money - I felt it was well over-priced. You are definitely paying for location rather than the hotel but even then, considering the other similarly-placed options in the city centre, it’s still too expensive.

Fantastic location. Very comfy bed. Great view from room. Nice staff.

• Standard Single Room

My colleague's room (which I booked) had terribly rodenty smells. Also, the rooms were very hot, with no way as far as I could see of turning down the heat. The piped music isn't great – very generic and irritating – and while the hotel is sweet it's full of truly hideous paintings of a woman's face. They really should be taken down - one dominates the otherwise nice dining room.

Loved the great breakfast, the very friendly staff and the fantastic location.

• Deluxe King

Very little. As advised to management it would be helpful to open bedroom window and provide blackout in bathroom.

The hotel met our expectations, the room was comfortable , the food excellent and the staff very helpful.

Unfortunately we had to cancel our booking at fairly late notice but with a view to changing the booking for the following week. We understood the no refund policy but thought it best to call the hotel directly as there was no harm in asking as we were not looking for a refund, simply a change of dates. My husband's request was met by a dismissive, indifferent and unsympathetic attitude from the hotel. We were prepared for the request to be declined, but perhaps not in such a manner. Definitely would not consider this hotel in the future if this is an indication of customer service.

• Deluxe King

At close to £200 per night, it's disappointing that breakfast wasn't included. I also appreciate that not all hotels can offer free parking - and the hotel was able to offer a discount at the nearby NCP - but we still spent £15 on a day-and-a-half parking.

Hotel staff were friendly, especially the Saturday night bar staff who kindly made our cocktails upon request. The bed was comfortable and the hotel is in an great location.

• Superior Suite

Service in the adjoining pub was a little chaotic but free drinks were provided when food order was delayed. If we hadn't been under a slight time constraint then this wouldn't have been an issue at all.

Great staff, nothing felt like it was too much trouble. Facilities and food were great. Had superior suite room 101 for my girlfriend's birthday and it was lovely. Definitely staying again.

• Standard Single Room

Extraordinary fresh and high standard hotel with very nice staff, cosy bar and excellent location. This is the hotel you should chose when visiting family and, of course, watching Forest at the City Ground.

• Deluxe King

The bath had been painted so when showering the paint was all over my toes. Had to literally go through some questions via security (not welcoming) to get let into the hotel at 1am - eventhough there was no curfew and the door was locked shut. (Keys are not supplied for returning late so had no choice but to wait at the front door) #awkward #whattimedoyoucallthis?

Great receptionist. Very helpful. Regardless of comments I would return to this hotel, great location and 5 mins walk from city centre - great, if you're not a student...

• Standard Single Room

Minor points only. The sink in the bathroom was style over substance. Difficult to use due to the position of the tap, even more difficult to fill the kettle! It was a single room but still would have liked a table on both sides of the bed and more than one teacup. Also would have liked a full length mirror.

A lovely hotel with a good atmosphere and great location. Nice breakfast. The night concierge was very helpful.

• Deluxe King

Nothing I didn't like. I've stayed there before which is why we booked again. Only a little more cooking time on the pain au raisins would have improved them, but otherwise the breakfast was great as noted above. Everything else was good.

A super room and a huge bed, which was great. The breakfast was lovely, particularly the home made granola followed by a full English. Only one minor improvement necessary - the pain au raisins should have had a few more minutes in the oven.

Did not advise us that kitchen was being refurbished and proper meals were not available. Despite the menus still being on display in the lifts and in our room.

• Superior Suite

We took this up with staff so hope management got the message: problems happen, but ethically we should have been told in advance that the kitchen was closed for drain problems, so no hot food. Buffet breakfast was OK in circumstances, staff tried hard, but disappointing, processed and limited if you book special visit. Two things to bear in mind: third floor is upstairs, not accessible by lift and the restored old building has lots of steps. And security is worrying: reception not always staffed and open entry through public bar is easy.

We upgraded, so our room was very good with plenty of space and comfortable facilities - at a price. Staff were notably friendly and also responsive to our comments. The location is terrific for a city visit: the street is quiet by day but bustling at night; opposite the Justice Museum which is good for families, and near a contemporary arts gallery which is good for grown ups; but close to all you need in compact city centre: recommend Playhouse Theatre, World Service and Memsaab restaurants.

They had problems with the kitchen so they served a “ continental breakfast “ instead of what I paid for. The continental breakfast was very poor ( apple juice only, some muffins and toast... not fruit or yigurts...) and that’s not what I paid for. Breakfast staff were also behaving very unprofessionally. They were openly flirting, dancing... had the music really loud on the restaurant and they kept dancing and giggling... it was really not a nice atmosphere for a very VERY basic breakfast. Not what I paid for, served really poorly.

Reception staff where very friendly and helpful

• Deluxe King

They suddenly announced that they could not provide breakfast, late in the afternoon, after check in. If they informed us on check in we would have changed hotels as breakfast was important to us. The alternative offered, which we moved to the next day, was not as good and much cheaper. The hotel made no gesture to return money which we prepaid, but we still await their response. I would not return because I felt cheated and taken advantage of.

The staff were very friendly.

• Superior Suite

The hotle was every nice a bit of a shame the kitchen was down so they could only offer continental breackfast. But things happen and the continental breackfast was still every nice

It was every posh all the staff were polite bit on the expensive side but worth every penny the rooms were clean and tidy as well as nice and big with egnoth storage space

rooms too hot, no air con, not able to fully open windows, no breakfast available on one day (but got refunded breakfast cost on request)

great location, well decorated, upmarket hotel in period building

• Deluxe King

The reception told my friend my room number without checking with me - he could have been anyone! Trying to be helpful but....

View from room Comfy bed

• Standard Single Room

Great location, 5min walk to the Lace Market tram station, less than 10 min walk to the train station, 5min walk to the city center and 5 more min to the castle. Staff are very nice and helpful. Breakfast is great, view through the windows is fantastic, especially when it snowed. Across the street is the police station, so safety is not an issue.

• Deluxe King

Horrible smell of cross between nasty disinfectant and bad drain when we first got to room.

Bed very comfy and beautiful view of church. Toiletries very nice. Staff all very friendly and helpful from reception to breakfast.

• Standard Single Room

There was in places in the corridors a damp smell akin to dare I say a sewage smell. It wasn't over powering but it was definitely a little unpleasant. The towel rail in the bathroom was dangerously hot. Having a sign up warning it's hot really isn't good enough. I had to open the towels up and cover it as it was scorching. Infact I did ask if it would be possible to turn it off. This was not an option, the previous room 17 did have a dial on it to turn it down . Room 27 and Room 17 were both far to hot. Fortunately it was possible to open the windows which I had to do in order to sleep.

The room was very adequate for my needs. The first room I was allocated (17) was very close to the air conditioning unit which not only made a noise it actually vibrated into the bathroom. I requested a room change if at all possible, this was granted straight away with no argument . Second room was fine Numbet 27. I was asked if I needed help with my luggage , this wasn't needed as I am fit and only had one small case. However I certainly understand the possibility to need help as the layout of the hotel floors are quirky with an assortment of steps to manage. I would certainly stay again as the location was ideal for events in and around the town centre. I came to take part in Tuneless Convention held in The Antenna Centre. Perfect walking distance.

Room 36 had a musty smell upon opening the door. The layouts not the best in the room, (it’s a bit cramped) you cannot see the Tv from the bed without rearranging the furniture, or sitting on the end of the bed. Had issues getting the shower to work. I’m sure it’s well maintained and very safe but the lift is scary! It makes funny boing noises and sounds of piano wire being scraped.

The staff are great, the decor is lovely. The breakfast was good.

Excellent facilities all round, especially Sarah on reception who made me feel very welcome and realised I was travelling alone and therefore made an extra effort to make sure I had everything I needed.

• Superior Suite

The breakfast wasn’t well done as asked for ! There was a funny smell at the top of the first set of stairs entrance towards what I thought was a door leading to the kitchens.

The room was lovely! The staff were friendly ! Nice decor

• Deluxe King

The fact they didn’t have a cot ready for us, the room and the whole hotel was like a sauna they were literally trying to cook everyone, my friends breakfast had a hair in it and they just took it away took the hair off and brought it back, my breakfast was different on both days even though I asked for the same thing. The hotel was not pram or wheelchair friendly at all and the lift felt like it was going to break at any moment.

The room was big

The lift was scary.

The room was very well dressed and comfortable. Private feel. The staff couldn't do more to help. It was my husband's birthday and the towels were made into a cake with.how's and biscuits. The champagne and fruit with dipping chocolate we ordered for arrival was very good quality.

Presentation of cooked breakfast could be improved upon. Car parking an issue; almost 1 mile to get from car park back to hotel to collect luggage on check-out.

Great restoration in historic area. Pub next door great facility. Easy walk into city centre.

• Superior Suite

No where to hang hand towels near wash basins. There were plenty of mirrors but non of them had adaquate lighting for doing make up

Comfortable bed, good breakfast, friendly staff in bar

• Deluxe King

Unable to eat in hotel or adjoining pub - fully booked. Had to eat in room as we did not fancy trying to find somewhere in town on a Saturday close to Christmas and room is not the best place for a meal

Nice cooked breakfast served to your table

• Superior Suite

no 34hour room service available.

Location is fantastic and the rooms were decorated beautifully. Had an amazing stay with my husband. Would most definitely stay at this hotel again in the future.

• Deluxe King

Parking is round corner in multistory which could have been full as 2 others were for Xmas shoppers.

Room spacious. Overlooking church square. Quiet room. Breakfast nice. Clean room etc Room not ready but they put case in there for us. Great location for arena.

Freshly cooked breakfast served at the table and not having to queue for breakfast at a buffet stand made a nice change. We did not eat dinner so cannot comment on other meals, although I saw afternoon tea being served which looked very nice!

• Superior Suite

The staff were not as friendly as I have been used to in hospitality. In fact on returning from a dinner and having to wait 25 minutes for my bedroom key I was told to deal with it by a member of staff. Harry the night manager was brilliant but others left us feeling disappointed we were staying there.

The bathroom was phenomenal.

• Deluxe King

Hotel was very noisy, we had no sleep, our complaint wasn’t handled very well. The hotel was extremely hot in temperature but no windows to open and even with our own heating turned off the room was very uncomfortable.

Location and hotel is very nice

• Deluxe King

No air conditioning and the central fan did not function. The room had secondary glazing so it was very difficult to open any window so the heat in the room spoilt any sleep. Noise from the restaurant below was incredibly loud and the room was small for the money paid. We ordered a full English and two of the items were missing from the plate completely. The bathroom also had a transparent net curtain to the floor; completely transparent to all walking by, especially at night!

Location to shopping area

For the money I felt the beds were basic, 3rd floor was very hot and the morning breakfast took ages just to cook an 2 egg omelette. They brought me out cold burnt toast and the woman on the reception desk in light of feedback regards this seemed not to care.

Harry’ on the front desk when I arrived was Brilliant. I am not keen to stay there again in hurry.

• Superior Suite

The hotel is fantastic. We have stayed before and will never stay anywhere else when visiting Nottingham ... the decor in each room is beautiful , the staff are friendly and helpful and the position is perfect .

• Standard Single Room

This was perfectly situated next to St. Anne's church, the Lace Market and the Motorpoint Arena. This was a gorgeous, classy hotel and I loved it!

• Standard Single Room

Expensive, as all Nottingham accomodations. I personally deem too much.

Location in the downtown, close to the Justice Museum and other amenities. Really, an amazing location.

• Deluxe King

When I arrived, the person behind reception looked really disorganized. He carried my very heavy bag only part way to the lift, so I still had to get it up the stairs to reach the lift. He then rushed back to Reception. Also, I was on the first floor overlooking the road and the windows were so bowed they didn't shut.

The food was good and the location is great!

Restaurant cold. Needs double glazing and whole building needs insulation.

Great location. Slept very well. Lovely view of church yard autumn leaves. Quiet low car use locale yet in historic heart of Nottingham.

• Standard Single Room

There was some noise in the morning (almost like a generator) so perhaps I would ask for a room on a higher floor - plus you would get prettier roof top views from there too.

Very friendly staff, relaxed place with quality accommodation.

This is an expensive hotel that just fails to provide value for money. Our room was small with a view over the backyard. It was overheated and the radiator thermostats didn’t seem to work. There was a free bottle of water but also a collection of typical hotel minibar offerings at exorbitant prices - who actually pays for this stuff? The tea and coffee making facilities were poor. And the internet was so slow it really wasn’t worth having. Despite this the room cost over £100 per night - without breakfast. The attached 'gastropub' next door serves average food (very slowly). The hotel is in an historic building therefore disabled facilities are poor - there are lifts but there are also a lot of steps to negotiate and it isn’t suitable for wheelchair users or people with mobility problems. The area around the hotel is a little soulless- although it’s an historic part of the city it seems to have been taken over by solicitors and an amazing number of chain bars and restaurants.

Staff were generally helpful and friendly. Clean and comfy room, although overheated. Good shower and quality toiletries. The hotel is in a central position and it’s an easy walk or cycle ride to the main sights.

• Deluxe King

Hotel seems to have been recently refurbished & is tastefully decorated, comfortable room & well appointed restaurant. Receptionist had found out that it was my birthday & informed the restaurant who made a special effort with our table decoration - small details that make a stay memorable.

• Deluxe King

No parking. Hotel was seriously hot, a little overboard on the heating! Had to open the bedroom windows but unfortunately we were above a staff hangout so noisy.

Lovely room fantastic location.

• Superior Suite

Our suite (room 101) was simply, simply lovely (some of you will get that!) We couldn't fault it in any way. The hotel staff were courteous and helpful. The (young) bar stewards in the cocktail bar were not only entertaining, but extremely knowledgeable about their chosen subject! The Cock and Hoop pub attached to the hotel was very welcoming and comfortable and the staff were great. The Sunday lunch (roast beef) we had before we departed was spot-on!

• Standard Single Room

WiFi was free but slow and intermittent. Decor was new but not my cup of tea. And tea and coffee facilities in the room were on a shelf as low as my ankles - if you’re over 60, no chance! Small stuff as overall this is a nice hotel.

Great location in the Lace Market. Ana in Reception was a gem (Paldies!). And the Cock & Hoop pub, lovely.

• Deluxe King

just missing some of the basics - butter and salt and pepper with breakfast. Inability to fill kettle direct from sink in bathroom. Reception staff a little pre-occupied at check in.

Great location, clean hotel, nice decor and rooms.

• Superior Suite

Booked a superior suite and was amazed that it consisted of two single beds pushed together, this is not acceptable for a double room.

The knowledge and skill of the staff was excellent

• Deluxe King

Stayed in room 19 which, it transpired, was above the kitchen and during restaurant hours there was a repeated banging of a heavy door that made our wall and bed vibrate. It became so irritating that we had to ask reception to try to do something about it. Just make sure you don't stay in rooms 17, 18 & 19!!!!

Nice room and bed, but for £157 I should hope so!

There was an issue with my first room, the ventilation was whistling so I had to move (it was super pokey for £150 pounds and terrible view onto offices!). The second room had bad craftsmanship in the bathroom I thought the surface was covered in toothpaste but it was bad grouting. I could see the hall light from the window all night despite the blinds. Not great value for money. No breakfast either.

The bed was nice, and the selection of teas.

Fab hotel and the staff are wonderful, really friendly and helpful especially Anna on reception. Thank you so much, would be my first choice again when in Nottingham.

• Standard Single Room

View from room was disappointing. Having to park in a multi storey car park was inconvenient and expensive.

Bed was very comfortable. Breakfast was excellent, choice was immense. Room service was really good. Location was brilliant. Very central and close to motorpoint arena.

• Superior Suite

Noisy thro' night from happy outside revellers - lasted till 0400 - it was a Thursday night. The large Georgian windows are part of the attraction of the place but given this (nice) location, they need much better sound-proofing. A smaller quibble, but for £200/night a little more attention to detail at times would help - e.g. breakfast time was quite busy but we weren't provided with menus when we were seated and then were asked 10minutes later what we wanted; asked for strong tea - and it wasn't; provided with tea but no milk jug on table etc etc -

Individuality of hotel, room and friendly helpfulness of staff Standard of cooking good - breakfast omelette very good

Too hot. No air conditioning. Too expensive. Some female staff were not so friendly treating some guests differently to others.

Very friendly staff. Expensive for small hotel with few facilities. Some staff were amazing and friendly.

• Standard Single Room

My colleague pre paid for my stay online with a company credit card through booking.com and received confirmation but when I checked out at the hotel I was asked to pay again and was told payment had been declined.

• Deluxe King

Bathroom had an opaque glass floor which allowed in the light from the large window inside. This meant I was woken in the morning by the light. It would be better if they added a dark blind/curtain to the bathroom window.

Good atmosphere and staff really friendly. Attractively designed hotel.

• Superior Suite

Parking. Although subsidised, was in a multi storey car park around the corner.

Staff very friendly and helpful. Location very handy for city centre, just a short stroll away. Food very good.

Small room with poor lighting. Difficult to work in the evenings due to narrow desk and bad lighting. Room service food was appalling-they got the order wrong but didn't offer to change it, my side was stone cold and the steak burger (not the steak I ordered) was cremated. No condiments provided either to try to improve the taste.

Complimentary water and tea and coffee making facilities were good.

I offered to pay for ½ a day to stay for 4 hours longer. They asked me to pay for the whole day.

I loved the view from my window on the third floor (British second floor).

• Deluxe King

Not good value for money, for 145 a night I'd expect a nicer room, bigger bath and shower. Lacked wow factor. Only one towel in room despite there being 2 of us.

Bed very comfy

• Deluxe King

The lack of cool air in rooms and breakfast service could improve. Although ceiling fan was nice the lack of fresh air was disappointing. Breakfast had good choice of hot food but simple things like keeping flies off fruit, making sure juice is topped up, having butter on breakfast table with condiments too would have made it excellent. Waitress to take orders correctly and tie hair up, neatly, away from food. Having a fresh pot of coffee would be nice, rather than half a cup of luke,warm, stewed liquid from a thermos. Would have liked to have choice of jam, marmalade and fresh rolls. Brown bread would have been nice too. Perhaps allow guests to access toaster and the chef really needs to stop yelling at service. Disappointed with service at breakfast. Parking is another issue. Paying £10 for every 12 hours is a bit too much. Hotel should really sort out some designated parking in lace market multi storey. Cost over £30 in parking for 2 nights.

Its location and decor and Robert the super friendly receptionist. Location is fantastic, in the heart of great shopping and nightlife. Some fab restaurants and bars nearby. Lovely view of church. Nice and quiet and lovely big comfortable bed. Opposite galleries of justice and 5 mins walk from caves, etc.

• Deluxe King

Staff attitude at breakfast was very miserable and surly. Better quality ingredients for breakfast. Sausage was very poor. Coffee cafetier needed at breakfast Coffee capsule machine in room sachets not good enough these days.

Fresh milk in room but too small. Comfortable bed Lovely room from window (room 32)

My iphone couldn't pick up the wifi in room 28 (but my laptop did a bit later on in the night). So wifi a bit hit and miss but, apart from that, a very good business option. I would definitely stay again.

Really comfortable bed in a good size room.

One bath towel for 2 people and no replacement of the complementary toiletries on the second day of the stay.

Friendly staff, perfect location and comfortable rooms

The king size bed was really comfy, great views over the church and garden, the girl on reception was very friendly and professional, we were staying for our wedding weekend and we were well looked after including an upgrade! Would definitely recommend highly.

The room was very warm and the ceiling fan did little to help. This wasn't that bad but should be addressed.

The hotel is in a perfect location and has a fantastic restaurant and facilities for a boutique city centre hotel.