Reviews of Laguna Hotel

6 Suffolk Road South, Bournemouth, BH2 6AZ, United Kingdom

#57 of 79 hotels in Bournemouth

Very rickety due to age of building plus parking diff. At one stage had to park on the road. Found other people had parked in places that they shouldn’t due to lack of parking.

very Pleasant staff.

It was a dirty room. Mattress well used little support. Shower was not working properly and when my daughter did use it water temperature was fine until the COLD started running through very hot. Man came and put a new shower head on it tried to blame it on that.load of rubbish when I checked with a plumber. Also extremely noisy from floor above all night and TV next door positives nice garden had to park on road last day. Stayed in cheaper b and b and much cleaner. Reception staff slovenly only one who worked Saturday evening wax very polite and helpful. Also never seen such a small TV. Also bed base filthy.

didn't like the flyover right by the hotel, would advise asking for a room on the other side if you are a light sleeper!

Staff were lovely and Elaine on reception was very helpful

Not much really it’s dated but it is what it is

Entertainment was 60s - 80s and the same age group, cheap drinks friendly staff and more amenities than others

staff were polite and very helpful as I had booked the wrong day but they still accommodated me. room was clean with coffee and a TV. free Wi-Fi was very simple and easy to log into. Bed was comfortable. shower was hot and I didn't have to run around in it to get wet

The hotel is old fashion and does look it a bit .

I could walk in to the town and beach . It had parking. Plenty of hot water. The indoor pool is good.

I was a bit taken aback initially by the standard of the decor in my room that was in one of the lodges. However, the longer I stayed the more I really appreciated the relaxing environment and the friendly staff. Very clean room, all you need is on site or nearby, decent breakfast. Value for money excellent

The room smelt musky, very dated, not clean, frayed towels one having a hole in it, shabby looking bed cover and the bed and pillows were actually unbearable to sleep on. Couldn’t have the window open during the night as it opened onto a pavement and there was nothing to secure it if open.The bathroom light cord was so dirty I had to wrap tissue paper around it. Woke up on Sunday morning after the worst night sleep and feeling horrible as the weather was hot and we had no air in the room to getting in the shower to absolutely no hot water. I reported this and was told it is working and there should be hot water in an hour. We then went for breakfast which was an extra £12 for 2. When we sat down we were asked if we wanted tea or coffee then what we wanted, we said We’re not sure yet can you come back, the waiter was not happy about this and waited for us to tell him. When the food came out it was flavourless, very small portions and not overly hot. I was very happy I only booked the breakfast for one morning. We then went for a swim to waste more time waiting for the hot water which was probably the best bit although there was a dirty plaster on the floor by the seats. The jacuzzi was really cold and is an extra charge. We went to have a shower again about an hour and a half later only to find the water was still freezing cold. I was told there was hot water again by staff. We then decided not to waste anymore of our day here so left the hotel. I did try and book us into a different hotel for the next night but being bank holiday and the weather was beautiful I had no luck and had to endure this again for a second night.

I have nothing good to say about our stay!

rooms dated couldn't use top draw due to coffee spillage and sticky mess in draw. Beds small, bar dismal, out side furniture crawling with ants, mum disabled was put in ground floor room, this was not suitable in a short corridor through to the reception and the bar , noisy people trying her door handle, Room was left open by cleaners.Breakfast was a joke most staff tried some just not .sat waiting for breakfast when people came in asked what they wanted order was taken we had to ask for someone to take order 2 days on the run. very rude

breakfast room looked to have had recent decorating . leaving

Room was too small and the shower didn't work properly. The milk left for tea and coffee was off and lumpy. No way of locking room door from the inside at night and main door to annexe was always left open.

It was close to town.

Put on entertainment Friday, Saturday and Sunday not just Monday to Thursday! They could open the Bar in the afternoon it would have been nice to sit outside in the afternoon with a drink.

Bed was comfortable

Very outdated hotel. Needs decorating badly. Repairs need carrying out in rooms also. There is a highly pungent smell of damp/mould when you enter the buildings. Other than when checking in, not one single member of staff was seen all weekend. Beds are so uncomfortable. The shower didn't work as was so thick with limescale. First time I have left a negative review on anything. However please do not waste your money on this horror of a hotel !

Walking distance of town centre.

Everything was basic, especially in the room. It was poky, cramped, and had a view over a flat roof where someone had thrown a carrier bag full of rotting food. The car park was like navigating a slalom run, especially with their coaches talking up large amounts of space. My room was in a horrible annexe which looked and felt like a borstal. The carpet, curtains and bedclothes were way past their sell-by date, and the furniture was the sort of cheap and nasty stuff we were buying in DIY stores 40 years ago. Bournemouth has much better to offer than this.

Staff did their best, especially at breakfast, which was excellent.

There was a strong damp smell when we first opened the door but it soon disappeared after we left the windows open for a few hours.

Location, swimming pool, sun loungers and own parking.

Decor rather dated,

comfortable room, breakfast staff friendly despite being very busy. Check in quick and efficient. Swimming pool looked nice although we did not go in it. 15 min walk to town and further short walk to beach. Live music in the bar in the evenings. Would definitely stay again if in the area.

I was little bit let down by the room we was given as we was right underneath the bar area and garden and having music blasting and drunk people shouting at 10pm when your trying get your 8 month baby to sleep didn't really work.Also the t.v. in the room didn't even turn round so you can't watch it in bed as it only faced the wall.i just assumed as you knew we had a baby might been abit more thoughtful as we could only just about get the pram in the lift and thro the hall way to get to our room 41 on 2nd floor. Also had ask for extra towels as we was only given one between us. Accept all this yes was ok.

I liked that it was close to everything and had a Inside pool for my 8 month old.

Being told at check in that any trouble from us we’d be chucked out! I found this extremely rude. Tired and dirty decor.

Location, cheap rates per night.

• Family Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

Absoluty disgusting condition inside the room. Friendly stuff but that cannot replace the other guest pubic hair stucked inside the cracks on the toilet seat. Also also a very bad smell inside the room, not so clean overall. We booked and paid 2 nights there but we didnt sleep a second . Had to look for other hotels and thank God we found 2 really good

Beds uncomfortable bathroom very small. Breakfast was a massive let down

Staff were lovely and the pool was lovely perfect location very close to town need more parking tho

Shower mixer was pretty much unusable but ended up having a decent bath so worked out ok.

Despite being incredibly busy the stuff were perfectly pleasant and very helpful.

old building so you can hear other guests moving around, squeaky floors. crumbs were found on our floor from previous guests so not very clean, old carpets and the swimming pool that is advertised as a spa was taken up with swimming lessons so no room for us to swim.

Serious health and safety concerns! Unsafe power cables, a fire extinguisher right next to radiatior. It wasn’t clean, mould in shower and sink. Toilet seat looked well used.

The staff were friendly

Floors were a bit creaky and walls are thin, but this did not other me. It was good value for the money I paid.

I was very pleased with my single room with double bed. Perfectly adequate, tea and coffee machine comfortable bed and tv in the room. Decoration a little tired but for the money, good value. Excellent breakfast.

The whole place could really do with a spruce up. It’s very dated, faded and somewhat stained decor is a little sad to be fair. The corridor my room was on was decorated with clown paintings, a tad creepy. The floors creak and the walls are pretty thin.

The location is great

Bed was too springy and rooms were a little old fashioned. Shower was not very good.

Good price, good location, clean and tidy and plenty of parking space.

Could be updated but the facilities are decent considering the rooms are a little outdated

Always book Laguna as it’s the place to stay for the weekends!

It was one of the first days in April when the sun shone so they turned the heating off, it was absolutely freezing. Only a sheet and thin blanket. No one manning reception with a sign saying after a certain time no one is available with a large do not disturb sign on their internal door. The shower was fixed to the wall at waist height and ran scalding and was unusable. 4 days notice that two of the days booked needed to be cancelled and informed within 5 minutes of booking but they still took all the money for both days with no effort to reimburse or compensate. Only concerned with profit and not the welfare of the guest. Since then I have stayed in hotels in Bournemouth and paid considerably more than this hotel was charging due to having been so put off by my experience that I do not want to put my business their way. No desk facility in the room to work.

The bed was very comfortable, free parking.

Dated decor, bathroom didn’t lock , tiles cracked on bathroom floor , swimming pool didn’t open till 8.30 am no time to swim before breakfast .

Staff were friendly

The service at breakfast was a little slow given that there were only 3 other tables occupied at that time (just after 8 a.m.). The waiter acknowledged my arrival and took my order but I still waited 20 minutes before any food or drink arrived. Otherwise, a nice stay and I would return.

Clean, comfortable, friendly service, great location. Rooms may have a more 'classic' decor but I feel this is reflected in the very competitive price. Free, excellent and fast Wifi. Free and ample car parking.

There is no toothpaste provided, no shower gels provided, no hair dryer provided, no iron provided. This is poor

The lady on reception was friendly and helpful. For a single room the bed was a decent size and fairly comfortable

Very firm bed, too firm infact. Floors throughout are nosey and I was kept awake by neighbors above walking around. No entertainment at weekends

Service: dinner served only if pre-ordered the morning before, no goodbye at checkout. Breakfast very limited, took a long time and left us still hungry. We asked for adjoining rooms and received 2 rooms devided by communal corridor - not good for families. Our room had water damage in the ceiling and it smelled really badly like mold - not sure that's healthy. Tea and coffee provided in rooms were all disgusting. They tasted like they were 10 years old. The second room was so tiny it was almost impossible to walk next to the beds.

Bed linen were clean.

I would have preferred to have been able to help myself to breakfast but that is simply a personal preference. Decor in the room was dated but it was clean.

The hotel is situated in spacious and well maintained grounds with the town centre and beaches within a pleasant walk through the middle and lower town gardens. Though small, the indoor pool is a welcome feature especially as the weather was very warm. Staff were always pleasant and friendly. Good parking facilities.

• Family Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

I knew not to expect much but as we booked last minute on the May bank holiday weekend and reading the reviews on trip advisor but I thought would give it a chance. As soon as we were shown to our ròom (1801) in the annexed. It was up 3 flights of stairs and before we opened the door there was a strong smell of fresh paint. Once we opened the door the smell of damp was just awful. I went straight to the bathroom and was sick. My poor 6 year old got very upset. I pulled myself together and went to flush the toilet and it wouldn't flush. I put a brave face on for him as knew all of Bournemouth would be fully booked as it was the hottest weekend of the year. Called reception from my mobile and advised them of the problem. They did come and fix it but my son did not want to enter the bathroom again because the bathroom was also very dirty and the smell of damp. I will not go on but thank god the weather was nice so we spent as much time at the beach as we could and only came back at 10pm to sleep and checked out the following morning at 8am. I would NEVER stay at a hotel like this again. Is was so out of date and the smell of damp was horrible.

The pool was very quiet and was nice for out 6 year old and was generally clean but the changing rooms were dirty and the showering facility was also very dirty

Bathroom wasn't clean and shower was old dirty and had bad water pressure. Blankets on bed had stains. Lamps had stains. Lots of dust and hair in the room. Tv in hard to watch position.

Hotel pool was open all day and a good size.

• Family Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

The room was really old, the smell when we arrived wasn't really nice and the bathroom and windows were very old and dirty.

I didn't like much to be honest, the location is good and the outside area ( garden and swimming pool).

People upstairs woke up at 6am and started walking. The sound that was coming from the floor was making me crazy. We went out in the night and we just wanted to rest as normal. But the place is too noisy and curtains dont hold the sun. The whole place is dated like 70's. You can hear people talking outside. We would never book for this hotel again. Thanks

The bed was comfy and the staff at the desk was very helpful and thats all for the good stuff.

A few noisy people at different times in corridor between 2am to 5am coming back from their night out breaking up our sleep. However fully understand this is no fault of the hotel.

We were not expecting too much in regards of price but was pleasantly surprised. Bar drinks cheap, breakfast was excellent and the staff were great.

Nothing not to like.

There were no complaints at our unavoidedly late arrival. We had a comfortable nights sleep and a good breakfast. Good value for money.

Rubbish staff terrible bed plus a single bed which meant no room to move A leak from upstairs into are bathroom disgusting brown water which we had to clean ourselves as staff didn’t come after we told them

The surrounding areas

No dinner served from after Thursday night until Monday. Bar not open at weekends that I could see. Although bedroom and bathroom was clean they were very tired. The shower only trickled out water so useless! Bed not comfortable and bed linen stained, pillows old and smelly. Also bedspread could do with washing as smelt stale and musty.

The food was good. Staff friendly and helpful. Hotel very tired but you get what you pay for as not expensive so did not expect 5* type of hotel.

I felt the hotel could do with updating, but for the price was fair. The hot tub was not hot though so I didn't stay in it for more than a minute.

The staff were friendly the breakfast was nice. The bed was comfortable. The swimming pool was an added bonus.

Rooms are a bit old and in need of a refurb, but it was kept very clean and it is Bournemouth, you should expect traditional British furnishing. Plumbing and guests noisy so take ear plugs.

Very friendly staff, hotel clearly well managed with committed staff and kept spotlessly clean. Location is good, close to lovely park you can walk down to the pier through.

For the price, I have no more expectation

It's a billy basic tourist class hotel, But its got a swimming pool, its cheap & fairly centrally located & we've stayed there before & would stay there again

The chance to have a real cup of te on arrival. They have a coffee machine in the bar but this seems to be unavailable except in the evenings. & not really what I would like after a long journey

This hotel is a bolt hole I use regularly & for the money I know it will be very good value

Duvet was too thin but was able to use two. So not really a complaint

Everything I asked for they provided, I asked for a small breakfast portion and was given and hot water and lemon. Very impressed with the service

Check-out was quite early (at least for us). The floors and walls are a bit thin.

Great location in Bournemouth. Respectable staff who are eager to serve. Clean, albeit antiquated (good thing!) rooms. Located near convenience stores. Spacious car-park (and free!) Games room with excellent facilities.

The walls were paper thin and the guests in the next room were arguing well into the early hours (3am). The bed was very spongy and the forcefulness of the shower was poor. The room check out was quite early at 10:30am

The staff were friendly and the breakfast was good, with a nice selection. The room and bathroom were clean.

Old yellow sheets, decoloured old blankets, waited for hot water to take a shower but used cold in the end, paper thin walls, I couldn't sleep due to neighbours listening TV loud, no 24 hours reception

very old world decor,bar hardly open,dinning room starts at 6;00pm closes at 9;00pm....barely enough time to eat and relax....

close to shops and a few bars,bus stop nearby.......

The room was too small for family and the bath was also too small. They also lied that we could check out later for free when we sent an email through booking.com. But when we approached them, they said we had to pay.

Breakfast was good. It was close to our location, local restaurants and shopping.

I stay only for two days but the location was great close to town and beach. The staff was amazingly friendly and the breakfast was lovely for amazing price.

Again not much as I managed my expectations properly. The furniture in my room was a little dated etc but it didn’t really matter as I was there for less than 24hrs.

It did exactly what it said on the tin. I was only staying 1 night, it was a little rough around the edges but for £30 for the one night I wouldn’t have expected the Ritz. It was clean and the bed was comfortable and it was close to where i needed to be. Top tip don’t try walking from the station! Google says it’s a 10min walk.....it’s not as there isn’t a direct route for pedestrians! If i needed to stay in Bournemouth again and needed a great value room for the night there’s no reason why I wouldn’t stay there again.

Water from bath/shower was way to hot it felt like the water had just come out of a boiled kettle. No entertainment at weekends

Staff were brilliant very friendly and we're very helpful

The kettle in the room was dirty Heater wasn't working, No extra Beddings in the room and the beddings weren't changed all through my stay. Breakfast portion was too small.

Friendly staff at the reception, Freshness of breakfast.

The walls are a bit thin between rooms. Not too much of a problem until the last morning when the guy next door was singing at 6.20 am!!

Liked having the chance to swim in the late afternoon but hadn't realised that there would be swimming lessons taking up half the pool

Plumbing ... how about replacing those prehistoric ice cold and burning hot taps by mixers ? This is the 21 st century, not the 70's

Friendly staff and cosy room, if a bit quaint - quiet , good wi-fi and good bedding

It was really Close to what we needed it for. So it was very convenient for our stay in bournmouth. It was a little Old fashioned but still nice all the same. The Staff are really nice there and helpful. Really good value for money definately. Would stay again happily. T

Close to where we needed it

• Family Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

Very noisy rooms not private could hear people talking in their rooms, doors banging continuously

Room and building was soo old fashioned. A wall was right against the toilet in our room. Horrible shower curtain and old fashioned blankets.

People in room above me up all night. Terrible experience. Meant to be having refund, still waiting on my account. Lovely and clean, looking forward to swim, but after awful night of little or no sleep, I just wanted to get away from the place. I was in one of the Annexe buildings. Maybe better in main hotel if you are staying here.

Place was clean. Cleaner very friendly compared to rest of staff

• Family Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

At reception during checking-in, I found one of the lady (staff) was a bit rude to me and my 3 year old son. First encouter was at the door, my son was pulling a suitcase and try to get it in the door, so I let her go first, but she said: "oh yeah, I don't have all day to wait!". Second encouter was when we finished check-in, there's a few people waiting so I hurried my son who's trying hard to pull the suitcase but she commented: "Mum needs to pull the suitcase cos you are too slow and there's a queue!" I didn't argue at the time but felt really upset about her sarcastic comments afterwards.

Noisy radiator pipes kept me awake until midnight. Bulb missing in bedside spotlight, toilet seat loose.

Full English Breakfast was very good and service was quick and attentive.

Room decoration could do with updating although it does suit the main type of clientele they are aiming at (OAP coach tours).

Very friendly and polite staff. Comfy bed

One waitress was quite rude and intolerant however this should not reflect badly on the hotel as a whole. Not overly keen on the blankets and bedspread rather than duvets.

Reception staff lovely as were the young lads in the restaurant. Clean and tidy no frills but great value.

A vast rambling hotel complex a 10 minute walk from the seafront with a 1970's decor which some might find oddly refreshing: wood-chipped wallpaper, thin plastic bathtubs, net curtains, garish flowery carpets and flimsy white furniture.I never went near the dining room but I wouldn't be surprised if there was prawn cocktail for starters, Chicken Kiev for mains and baked Alaska for dessert - all washed down with a bottle of Blue Nun ! On a more serious note: the receptionist was efficient, the swimming pool superb, clean warm rooms with comfortable beds - an absolute bargain for £26 a night.

Shower in en suite was feeble and was extremely difficult to control, temperature wise. The whole room desperately needed updating from decor through to blankets on the bed instead of duvets, teacups not mugs and tired carpet. The room was on the second floor, and you could hear everything that was happening on the landing. The rooms above us were taken by young guys who were out to party. We had music blaring through the ceiling with thudding bassline and on the first night, they turned up at 6 am, being extremely loud, and on the second night, the music was blaring past ten pm, and when they arrived back (at 3.15am), one of the guys decided to have a full on and loud telephone conversation with someone outside our room door. I called the night manager (obviously waking him up by the sound of him), and informed him of what was going on. He was very unhelpful and, thankfully the guy went into his room not long after. Overall, that ruined our stay there and, would not recommend this hotel for that reason. One older lady in the breakfast room was commenting to her friends just how noisy the place was, and she was in a different part of the hotel. So if you want a relaxing stay at a hotel, I honestly wouldn't stay here.

Breakfast, cleanliness of room and bed, size of room.

It is like going back to the 70s the shower broke moved to another room bit better the owner is about 80 hotel needs updating paint work is poor carpets look like the 70s the whole place needs updating shame as it is a good location

The bathroom was too small. Nowhere to put anything. Toilet seat didn't fit. Shower upgrade needed.

The breakfast was superb. Heating in the room was excellent. The swimming pool looked nice although we did not use it. Friendly staff. Close proximity to amenities.

The shower in our room was very difficult to regulate, it was either cold or scalding hot. Very poor selection in the bar ( including out of date beer!)

The staff were helpful and friendly, breakfast was tasty and quickly served again by helpful and friendly staff

Door lock was stiff and a few times got locked in. Could hear everyone above and below you which made it difficult to sleep Bed wasn’t very comfy The windows didn’t open.

Cannot think of anything.

The staff are very friendly and helpful. They accommodate my dietary requirements and although it is rather dated I like the Laguna Hotel. I have stayed before and will stay there again.

Creaky floor boards throughout the hotel. Bedroom old fashioned & bed very creaky. Had a dirty cup & spoon in my room. Just needs an update then I'd happily recommend to friends etc.

Staff seemed pleasant. Hotel only 5min walk from centre so very handy. Had what i needed in my room even tho rather dated.

Could do with a bigger bath towel and some toiletries. No milk in room or decaff coffee when arrived but asked for some in reception and got lots of sachets. Parking was a limited. Came back late one night and only one space left but otherwise would have had no-where to park.

Nice clean room, bed was hard but comfortable. I booked a single but got a double so was very pleased with that. Location good. Staff polite.

Bed and pillows were very uncomfortable and hard No duvets only blankets which were prickly Shower no pressure

Staff very friendly and helpful the first room we were given was unsuitable but that was not a problem the staff on reception were good they changed it for us . Breakfast was good the staff in restaurant were also good

Bar closed early but was due to not enough clientel on site I presume .

Staff very helpful. As had change of room soon as got there , one with shower in. Breakfast rearly good and hot . .