Reviews of Langfords Hotel 3 stars

Third Avenue, Brighton & Hove, BN3 2PX, United Kingdom

#49 of 60 hotels in Brighton & Hove

• Queen Studio

Unfortunately our rooms were not ready for a 3 o clock check in despite initially arriving at 2 pm to leave luggage so they knew we'd be back in an hour. It was resolved but one room wasn't ready until 4.15pm.

When we reminded them the room was still not done, the staff could not have been more helpful. It was all hands on deck, still polite and with smiles, management also personally apologised. The cleaners are fab and did a thorough job....no corners cut to get us in asap. We will be going back and would definitely recommend it for groups.

when we arrived the hotel was covered in scaffolding , only stair access to room, room was not the same as the photos on the website actually nothing like the photos at all, we had to ask two days in a row about changing the linen in our room, window could only just open , windows was filthy .

the staff was extremely friendly and very polite and was helpful in every way, it's a shame about the hotel though

the receptionist was very rude to the people in front of me but ok with me. The building was being refurbished scaffolding everywhere. There was a painter and decorator outside my bedroom window briefly. no curtains in the bathroom. no breakfast facilities.

location excellent and i suppose for £70 per night in Hove you cant expect a palace.

It felt soulless, no atmosphere! Carpet in room not laid properly, very bumpy, and dangerous, also made door very difficult to open and close. Windows filthy dirty. Scaffolding up which we knew about, but didn't like the fact that men were working right outside our window which meant we had to have curtains drawn during the day making the room dark

Location was good and bed comfortable. Tea and coffee facilities in room

The room has a slight "old building smell". The bed was a bit squeaky and the tap in the bathroom is one cold and one hot instead of combined (which is actually quite common among older buildings in the UK but may come as a shock to visitors from other countries). Also there isn't a breakfast option.

Staff was helpful and friendly. Good value for money. Good location.

We were shown to our room and the bed wasnt made and the room was filthy. We were eventually given a different room. The hotel has a 24 hour bar and party revellers were very very noisy all night and the bar manager said he coukdnt get rid of them and apologised for the noise. We had no sleep. The room was very basic and £160 with no breakfast which is ridiculous. The building was being decorated and had scaffolding outside which wasnt advised when we booked

Location was good

• Quadruple Room

We had no hot water when we arrived but when we did it was yellow and muddy! Kettle didn’t work, draw front was hanging off! We were given 1O% off of our next stay but probably won’t rush back :(

Beds very comfy Staff are very friendly and helpful

2nd return visit in 5 months...Room was dark and still scaffolding and workman outside the window! Lovely garden view would have been a nicer view!

Excellent location and shops/restaurants/bars

We were disappointed that the stuff at reception were not interested!!on our way checking out the lift was not working !! So we just mentioned... Replay was (yes we know... No sorry about that, did you need help? ( we were on the 2nd floor) good for us we could manage!

If your on a budget this hotel is a good price... Room was ok clean bedding and towels... Keep window closed as very noisy otherwise.

Not value for money @ £ 100 I would’ve expected a double bed and complimentary breakfast. The building was also enclosed in scaffolding, which was not disclosed in the advertising images.It is an average and might I say a very clean building, but certainly not what I would think of as a hotel. I think this organisation needs to rebrand and illustrate truthful images. It was ok, I would never stay again

It was clean, but very basic. Staff were warm and welcoming and very pleasant

• Quadruple Room

Nothing bad as such - decent enough inexpensive hotel on a nice street in Hove. There was scaffolding up but hat didn’t affect my stay

Stayed here years ago and it was the only hotel available on a busy weekend. Everything was fine.

More toilet rolls a family of 5 we were given 2

Disappointed that there was scaffolding around the building which we didn't realise at booking and one window would not close at all

• Queen Studio

Garden was over grown and unkempt, hotel was full of students studying, nothing against that but, we kept getting tutted at when wanting to sit by the bar as we were chatting and our Children wanted to Play pool, we felt uncomfortable so went to our room.

The Receptionist that we had both mornings of our stay (from Latvia) was amazingly helpful definitely made our stay more welcoming. Thank you again, beds were very comfy.

• Quadruple Room

Over-bath shower was awkward to use. The need to reach around the bath screen to turn on the taps resulted in heads getting wet every time! Beds in need of being replaced.

Great location and very friendly and helpful staff on reception. We had a very large en suite family room; spacious and airy, with 4 single beds, storage and a sofa. Good value for money and plenty of room for 4 adults.

• Quadruple Room

The external scaffolding And slightly dated decor

The hotel overall was very nice It’s in a fab location from our room even though it has external scaffolding we could still see the sea It’s about a 20min walk to the new pier Cleanliness was gd Slightly dated in the rooms Beds and pillows clean and comfy Loads of hot water Tea and coffee in our room Consierge was very helpful as well

• Queen Studio

Too expensive, not family friendly due to no outside space. To access the room with a pram was a nightmare. Very old smelly carpet and furniture.

The receptionist guy was very friendly. Welton - I think his name was.

Couldn't use Jacuzzi bath as plug did not work Bar downstairs had no drink Very dated furniture Couldn't open the bathroom window Parking very expensive

Bed very comfortable

It was quite expensive for a small room, which although clean, had seen better days. Buckets to catch rain water on the landing and a rug in the bedroom to cover worn carpet, but rug was a trip hazard as permanently curled up at a corner. The hotel is covered in scaffolding so clearly a lot of work underway. And no cancellation option - one of the party couldn't come, and no refund possible.

Friendly staff offering good advice about parking etc. Clean. Comfortable bed, good shower. Excellent location. Quiet - and got a good night's sleep. No breakfast available and parking restrictions did mean up early and made most of the day!

Windows didn’t stay open as much as they could have (on a hot day this wasn’t great) Bit of a trek to Brighton but buses were nearby.

Staff were friendly and accommodating. Room was clean and bed was comfy

• Quadruple Room

Rooms were far larger than expected. Heating was stuck on and the staff had a severe lack of any sense of humour or motivation! Overall though it was far better than I expected for the money. Great location for Hove’s bars and eateries which are every bit as good as Brighton’s.

• Queen Studio

Booking was 5 single beds. I phoned in advance and asked if 2 could be a double and was told it would be no problem. Room still had 5 single beds

Staff friendly room clean

Room was a quite warm and not due to the weather or in room heating

Manager Mike and Staff were very helpful towards my wife who struggles on her feet. Assisting her in and out of the hotel. Maybe accessibility entrance may help

I liked everything!! It was slightly further out than I had planned, but that was my mistake while booking.

The gentleman that was working the evening shift was super helpful and lovely.

Bed was uncomfortable, room smelt and the floor was soaking wet throughout duration of stay. Told reception in the morning and staff did not seem interested.

Hotel was in a great location for what we needed!

Building worn and in need of updating/modernisation. Didn’t sleep well as I was disturbed by external noise from seagulls starting at 3 am. Street parking rules operated by City council inconvenient and incomprehensible to out of town visitors

Location good, staff helpful and friendly, hotel and facilities clean and well stocked.

• Quadruple Room

large room easily big enough for 4 people C/H excellent kept room nice and warm on cold nights very friendly and help full staff 2 minute walk to beach , very close to shops restaurants and bus stops . Would stay there again .

Lift wasn't working.scaffolding outside our window workman on scaffolding every morning waking us up outside window.couldnt open window also no locks on window so workman could of got in.

Nice area.friendly staff

unfortunately this was your worst recommendation for me anyway. For a £110 we got a small shabby room with a window you couldn’t see out of due to the dirt and scaffolding . We should have been given a discount instead we were asked if we would like to pay £10 extra for a midday check out!

• Queen Studio

Didn't like that we found a condom under one of the beds!!!!!!!

Loved the size of the room and the fact it had 5 single beds. Also the female member of staff on reception was VERY rude, Stephen however was lovely :)

• Quadruple Room

Hotel tired and needs renovation Bar very expensive £11 for glass wine and a J2O Decor dated

Location good Hotel facade attractive Staff helpful and polite

As there was no food available, maybe even some biscuits with the tea and coffee facilities in the room just to keep you going when you arrived. I was starving after a day of meetings and there was nothing Shower was adequate but could do with a stronger flow for a better experience - maybe check the heads to see if they are furred up

The hotel has changed since i last stayed a few years ago and was sad to see no food offerings but then again the price reflected that so did not feel cheated just hadn't realised that there would be none. Wifi was fine. Bed linen and pillows were clean and comfy although the mattress was a bit softer than my liking so woke up with an aching back. The only staff `i saw was the Receptionist and she was more than welcoming and helpful at check in and check out. Room was warm which was great but did have to open the window to get some fresh air as it could be stifling

Only thing I think is very poor is the parking, that you must pay an extra £7 and then rush out of the room the next morning before 9am to reload the parking charge. Surely if you are a paying guest there must be a better way of covering this. The only thing that would deter me from returning.

very clean and comfortable, lovely room no faults

I had a good sleep but I could have used another one of those pillows provided, it was a bit too thin for me. TV (good size for the room) didn't work properly, guessing it was because of the storm outside since the previous night. It was quite loud (the storm I mean). There was some issues with the radiator, also (bathroom one worked fine): whenever I tried to turn it up (as I was cold), it made a lot of noise, and only the very bottom of the radiator was getting warmer, the half-top but was still very cold. (I had no such issue with the other room I slept in previous night in same hotel). Because of the noise and because it didn't seem to work, I turned it down, and had a slightly cold night. (duvet was pretty nice though).

For a small-ish room (especially comparing it with the bigger room I had the previous day), it was so lovely. There was space for everything and just looked cute. Everything was clean, and comfortable. Bathroom was also very good. liked the water pressure and that it was easy and quick to swap between hot and cold water. Location was not bad at all, easily approachable by public transport, with loads of shops, restaurants around it. Curtains are lovely: making the room nice and dark for the morning for those like snoozing a bit longer. Good wi-fi connection. Toiletries were provided, though if you're fussier about separate shampoo and conditioner, etc, you may want to bring your own. This was the nicest room I've been to so far for the same price range (though this was a real bargain I thought) in the area. For the same or similar amount: I'd go back there, any time. I recommend it.

Slight problem with fire doors banging one after other . Need to tighten screws over all very happy stayed over last 10years always professional

Staff excellent

Since it was last minute booking, I had to use the more expensive double room, which I don't normally do, but it's hardly the hotel's fault. Also, it was still a good value for money. I had a feeling that they need to get rid of black mould around the window, but they're (staff) still winning. If it was something else (other than smallish amount of black mould), my apologies. The size of TV seemed a bit small for the room size, but again, it was working fine and was still enough. It's not really a negative (or positive) but spooky/interesting): I witnessed the kettle turning itself on twice without window being open (wind), or me being around it. Thankfully, it didn't do it once I pulled it out of the socket, so probably room wasn't haunted :-)

I actually spent 2 nights in 2 different rooms. Both great, but I'll focus on 1st one now (the bigger and more expensive one). Great size, comfy, warm room (I could decide how much I want to turn heating up), great curtains. Bathroom was lovely including the lovely bath. What I really liked was that the water pressure was strong enough: I hate it when I can barely rinse out of my hair after hair wash. Staff members are helpful. Between 'checkout' and 'check in' the same day - to a different room, I could leave my stuff in the storage room. For what I needed it, it was perfect. It would have been enough for me and husband also, if he came with me. I recommend it and would happily consider going back.

The hotel is long overdue a makeover. Our bathroom had broken tiles in the floor. It was very poor value for money and we would not use this hotel again.

It was on a quiet street.

ag

reception hall very nice, room tired, bathroom tired.Beds needed castors so that they didnt move every time sat on bed, I turned up on crutches which i didn't warn the hotel I would be doing . couldn't use shower as the shower screen had been stuck down, so there was limited entry to bath/shower. which I didnt report. My friend who was with me wasn't able to get to the shower either.

5 beds in the room. Double bed was 2 singles pushed together. No headboard no beside cabinet on one side of the bed. 1bedside lamp only in the room. Furniture old and tired.good points: room was clean and warm.

Toilet was hit and miss .flushing difficult.....

Our room very good.416 best one stayed in yet atlangfords .stayed at least 6 times before.keep going back so speaks for its self.

No breakfast facilities but there are plenty near by.

The bed was comfy and the seagulls not too noisy. The staff were pleasant and helpful. Public transport easily accessible and close to sea front.

Quality of the single bed was a bit cheap. Couldn't stand up in Bath because of the ceiling angle. Single glazed metal frame windows get lots of condensation like the house I grew up in the 50s.

Staff were attentive and sorted a problem with the heating immediately. Very clean. Access very good by bus. Plenty of cafés pubs and restaurants within a short walk.

Toast and Coffee a walk from the lift

External Cafe's made me look for want I want when I want so breakfast without toast and coffee a walk from the lift reigned me in to taking it for granted! Local supplies did OK the way I look at any grade of phenomena

• Quadruple Room

Hotel bar £22 for 2 drinks absolutely diabolical. Room was VERY noisy. Was woken up at 6am both mornings I was there by the noise. Rooms were very cold. Shower barely even trickled out.

Good location to all the shops, pubs, restaurants etc

You have to pay 7 pounds a day to park outside.

The room was in no way like the photos on Booking website, hotel bit shabby, just average B&B for Brighton Students

Problem with the shower .unable to use i. Went out for the evening when I return they could not find my key. (£75 If you lose your key ) They soon found my key 😡

Very comfortable beds room very clean

The interior could do with a lot of modernisation. A very old fashioned and run down hotel. The rooms very tired and dated. The staff unfriendly and not very helpful. I would describe the staff as cold. The cleaning of the rooms left a lot to be desired. Not great value for money. I would prefer to stay in a Premier Inn or Travel Lodge.

The size of the room.

• Quadruple Room

No on site restaurant. Buffet breakfast would have been nice. One of the curtains didn't close properly and no on site maintenance at weekend. Street light was shining into room.

Room was spacious and clean, beds comfortable. staff friendly and helpful

See above

bed really comfortable, reception young man was excellent and did his best to help with parking. We do not have a mobile to pay for parking so had to pay hotel price of £7 for only 2 hrs before free 8pm. Then had to be up early to move the car by 9am. After a difficult day with funeral etc we would have liked a bit of a lie in.

We booked a room overnight, the price was fair, the room was lovely. We couldn't have asked for better.

Room was a good size. Bathroom facilities adequate. Staff were fantastic. Very helpful.

Hotel very noisy and staff unwilling to help here. Room was shabby. Threadbare carpet. Staff (I only ever saw one) surly and unhelpful, not even to open a door when she saw me struggling with 2 cases up the stairs. No breakfast included within the extortionate price. For the price paid I would have expected more. Very run down.

Bed was comfy. Large bathroom. Receptionist did move me to a 1st floor room rather than the 3rd as I had a lot of luggage.

Room 202 had a raise bar in the bathroom doorway, there was no sign advising to mind the step, both my partner and caught our toes on this, I rang reception who showed no interest

It was not as it looks online. Walls were all marked. Dirty sheets and towels. Had to sleep on top of duvet because of bed springs popping up. Lamp bulb didn’t work. I was so unhappy. Worst place I’ve stayed in. Would not recommend to anyone.

Room was extreme hot unable to sleep due to the heat , not a standard double bed as advertised and smell of sewage in the room ! Asked staff if we could change rooms they said there were none available !

Booked as double bed but it was two singles put together which meant a lump in the middle. No lift, which was only a problem with the suitcases.

Shower lovely, loads of constant hot water ,big room.

the booking facilities were poor ,we wanted to cancel our booking early but we were unable to the hotel was rubbish and so we won,t be going back or booking with you again

the weather was very nice

The Reception Staff were very pleasant and helpful. I was able to have a lay in, especially on my first morning there. Only a couple of minutes away from the beach and buses. Very easy to get to where I wanted to go. Everywhere I went the atmosphere was friendly and welcoming.

• Quadruple Room

The closets and cupboards looked a bit worn-out, and the WC takes ages to fill up after flushing. This hotel also doesn´t have a restaurant (but they offer a discount on meals in another hotel).

The rooms were clean and spacious, very comfortable bed. The hotel is really close to the seafront. I personally really liked the neighborhood. The staff is kind and always ready to help.

very small tv that was quite far from the bed so watching to wasn't grand, no option to have breakfast and no soya milk for cups of tea if you're dairy free

the bed was very big and lots of space, the bathrooms had little bottles of shampoo and soup so didn't have to buy our own, the room was very clean

I padded down from my room to reception in my bare feet at stupid o'clock in the morning and the guy sold me 4 beers and a bunch of snacks with a smile.. loved him!!

Bed was awkward as two singles pushed together. Having requested late check out and has it agreed at a price it was irritating that the cleaning staff kept knocking the door and insisting we had to leave at the usual time .

Location and quiet.

Friendly helpful staff Good location and enjoyable stay There are no lifts and Hotel is unsuitable for wheel chair or disabled Good restaurants and sea front within easy walking distance

Was charged for two drinks when buying one a few times, when questioning the barmaid she said that's how much it is. Very expensive bar, not worth being there. £9 for amoretto and coca cola.

Beds were very comfy.

there wasn't any part of our accommodation that we didn't like

the room was massive, and the bed was two singles pushed together so large than an average double, the shower was hot what else could you ask for.

Hotel in serious need of updating. Very tatty. Bedding poor. Staff at reception not very welcoming. Ironing board didn't even have a cover on it.

Nothing in particular.

£7 to park outside per day seems a little steep - you need to factor when budgeting for this hotel. Staff struggled a bit with English. The hotel is about a 25-30 minute walk from the town centre, unless you want to pay for more parking.

Not a bad venue for the price.

No restaurant, just bed. No free parking, but lot's of parking bays, though I had issues with the payment process (nothing to do with the hotel).

Very close to the sea front and also cafes, restaurants & bars. Staff where very helpful and friendly and available 24hrs. It's an old property but it is maintained and cleaned very well. My room was small, but clean and quite, just what I needed.

Poor facilities, actual room the size of a matchbox not like the pictures, uncomfortable bed in a very warm room with a window that only opened 50mm. Noisy nightclub booming away nearby and fans from a plant room or the Indian restaurant kitchen below our rooms. Bar was poorly stocked only bottled beers and staff didn't seem to care about the sound of falling masonry coming down the chimney in the room. The first thing the expected upon arrival was full payment upfront.

A little bit noisy at front of hotel

The bed was very comfortable and king size. Lovely garden to rear of property. Staff were very friendly. Just to let you know that there is no restaurant on site but lots of place nearby to eat

The receptionist. Kept on saying I couldn't stay there because I didn't have any I.D. Why didn't I have any I.D.? Was spoken to like a child.

Once I got passed the stern faced receptionist (looked like a really long shift for her) all was well.

Room was very basic, only extras were a kettle and towel, was okay for 1 night but any more and it wouldn't have sufficed. Very tired and could have a lick of paint. Also didn't like that you had to leave your hotel key at the reception and had to collect it every time you returned.

Location was great, check in and out was very easy and straightforward.

Bathroom very small, no breakfast available. Parking was a bit of a pain to pay for.

Clean and roomy. Reception/Bar area was spacious and comfortable

Price , no hair dryer, wouldn't stay at a hotel with no restaurant again, very expensive for just a bed for the night . The receptionist wasn't very welcoming

It was clean

Some of the light bulbs needed replacing. The wall covering in the bathroom was hanging off and the sealing round the edges of basin looked like it had been done by a 5year old. The radiators had rust coming through the paintwork. We got this hotel on a discounted deal I would have been very disapointed if we had paid full price.

The bed was comfy and the location good. Staff friendly

Double bed was two singles pushed together, bit of carpet missing by top end of bed and toilet roll holder broken.

Staff happy to help and give extra milk and pillows

The room was situated on the 3rd floor, in the attic and we had to struggle with our suitcases to walk up as the staff did not offer to help. The toilet seat was wonky and kept on slipping on our backs. We did tell them about it but it nothing was done to make it good. The ceiling in the bathroom was low and the beams kept on knocking our heads. There were no facilities for us to put our toiletries, especially for 3 people.