Reviews of Lansdowne Strand Hotel 3 stars

The Strand, Calne, SN11 0EH, United Kingdom

#5 of 5 hotels in Calne

• Executive Double Room

Softer towels. Only provided continental style buffet breakfast there is an extra charge for cooked breakfast - however this is not clear on initial view of hotel and during booking with booking .com, it only asks with or without breakfast and I paid dearer room rate for flexibility if a need to cancel.

Good location for visit needs that night. Staff helpful and curteous.

Staff rude & unhelpful, no wardrobe, no water pressure in the shower, kitchen drain regularly overflowing leaving puddles of smelly water in the carpark.

Had to park somewhere else as no parking facilities even though small sign in front window describing parking available behind hotel pointing in the wrong direction, very poor signage for where the rooms are externally. Poor communication & signage relating to breakfast location. Reception manned by the waitress looking after breakfast. No cupboard in the bedroom to hang clothes, no heating in the bathroom. Toilet roll used to lift uphill horizontal 4" toilet pipe so it could drain away. TV remote controller volume button broken (could not use the reduce volume function). Worn out mattress could feel the springs.

Clean & tidy room

• Superior King Room

This is not a hotel apparently it’s a coach house and as such you can not take a drink to your room after last orders. Breakfast poor now charging for cooked breakfast not enough staff on duty dirty table, no glasses cups hot water and I could go on ! This is not a hotel apparently it’s a coach house and as such you can not take a drink to your room after last orders. Breakfast poor now charging for cooked breakfast not enough staff on duty dirty table, no glasses cups hot water and I could go on !

The room was nice just very shabby stairway leading it to it

I was allocated an outside room, two flights plus some uneven steps outside. I had luggage but nobody asked if I'd like some help. The stair carpet wasn't clean. The room was OK but the window must have been recently replaced and the edges were full of smeared putty. The snoring from another room was quite loud!

• Executive Double Room

Whilst a lot of the hotel is up and together, there do appear to be a few maintenance problems. Service at breakfast was flakey, the tables sticky, and the staff seemed unaware of lack of cutlery, hot water and tea bags. Even when we asked for more tea bags they did not get replenished. The quality of the food and the choice was great. Our booking was for b&b , but we were informed on checkout that the cooked part would be charged for. This was apparently due to a recent change in policy, that’s fine, but we’d booked prior to that. The resultant discussion left us feeling a bit disappointed, because it left a sour feeling.

I’ve been going to this hotel for annually now for five years. It had a change of management a couple of years ago, and has been transformed, and I understand it has a rolling program of refurbishment.

Although booked for bed and breakfast in the morning found a this did not mean a cooked breakfast that was an extra 8:50, woke up at 3 in the morning with a very loud person above stomping around for half an hour

Location was good

My room overlooked the rear carpark & the outdoor seating area so you could here the noise

Location was good although the church bells could be heard every half hour.

No cooked breakfast, even though breakfast included was on booking forms. Expected cooked breakfast,actually got cereal ,cold milk,toaster either white or burnt, not impressed with breakfast. Rooms tired,need refurb.

Comfy bed.

1. Staff did not offer to assist with luggage despite there being no lift. 2. Staff did not advise parking spaces were available when I arrived. 3. Very limited parking and difficult to access. 4. Room had chemical toilet smell to it on first night altho better on the second night. 5. Average size room but no wardrobe. 6. Very little privacy once curtains open as 1st floor room had no nets and faced onto main street. 7. Interior in need of significant renovation.

1. Price: £75 / night incl. breakfast. 2. Breakfast average.

The room was clean but shabby, the whole accommodation part of the building seriously needs decorating. Also, the included breakfast was limited to continental breakfast. I was not awe of this however, that would have been Ok if there had been more choice.

Did not get breakfast as had to leave early in mornings. We were refused a pack up (croissants) or other offering to take with us. Bar service was poor and not enough staff on duty

Staff we very pleasant. Room was lovely, clean comfortable and nicely decorated.

It was 27 degrees that day & our windows didn’t open. So the purpose of our stay was to get a good nights sleep as we have a son with autism at home & rarely sleep through the night! Was so HOT in the room we couldn’t & didn’t sleep!!

Was a lovely room clean & comfortble.

• Executive Double Room

We had a room to the front and the traffic outside was noisy, so we had to sleep with the windows shut which make the room quite warm.

staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Lovely building

I would have liked to know the restaurant was not open on a Monday and that a full breakfast was extra. However the room rate and additional cost was still good value

The room I stayed was a single, quite dated and lived in. Has a nice courtyard where there is parking for around 6 cars. A very old pub hotel that has a fairly modern feel downstairs. The restaurant is closed on Monday nights (which I was unaware of) but the cooked breakfast was very good. The inclusive breakfast is continental only but good value. The cooked breakfast was extra.

Larger room and put of three rooms hired for the extended family all 3 were twin needed rather than double beds.The single beds also seemed very small.

Clean and comfortable friendly staff.

Travellers need to be aware that ancient inns cannot always install lifts. Staff have been extremely kind in helping me with luggage on stairs but I would recommend that visitors should advise the Lansdowne Strand in advance if assistance is needed.

I've been coming to the Lansdowne Strand for family events for fifty years; it's only recently I have actually stayed in its rooms. Its Heritage Ambiance; design-sensitivity; friendly and efficient staff and comprehensive menus exceed anything I remember from even the more recent past. Here is a team at the top of their game. What I absolutely love, coming back, is the cheerful inclusivity without intrusiveness. It's possible to find quiet spots in dining places and accommodation but, equally, its easy to move and mingle. The first time I actually stayed overnight here I had a mobility problem and staff were prompt to find me a room which involved less stairs; fitter now, I was able to tackle the curious little 'mystery staircase' to the Marden Suite - and it was magic! Restrained, harmonious decor, tonality with the period features of the building, blessed quiet. I sense that the awareness of the history and style of the building, and its 'can-do', coaching-inn culture, still pulse on here - and are a real contribution to the town.

My wife and I really enjoyed our stay in the hotel but we felt we had been misled. We booked bed and breakfast but if we wanted a cooked breakfast we had to pay for it additionally .Also we were not told that the uncooked or cooked breakfast ended at 9.00 am. We arrived 5 minutes after that time to be informed that the kitchen was closed and our meal consisted of 1 croissant between us plus a banana which the waitress tracked down for my wife.

Not convinced our room had been refurbished. Cables all along the corridors made it appear tatty upstairs. Our toilet seat didn't fit properly & toilet roll didn't stay on holder. Limited parking.

Locality to a venue we were attending.

The quality of the cooked breakfast had a little room for improvement, but it was still good. Portion size could also be a little larger for the price.

Very helpful staff. We didn't feel overloaded with information but they still made sure we had everything we needed. This alone made for a completely stress free stay and we immediately felt completely relaxed there.

Morning call, would have liked to have seen a staff member when we left but no one around. Did not try to accommodate just said we don’t do that.

Asked for morning call, they don’t do that at that hotel, asked for 7.30 breakfast as we were taking our grandchildren to London for a lunchtime show. Breakfast started at 8 and staff did not get in until 8. So no breakfast. Had to unlock back door of hotel as they do not have security to let you out and we left the keys on the bar not satisfactory.

Minimal storage in rooms for clothes. Small bar area, not easy to find somewhere to sit. Inconsistency in staff, late evening told by one member of staff we could eat in the bar and then asked to take our food to our room. The bar was empty at the time.

Nice newly renovated rooms

Interior windows in room 202 were broken and the exterior windows did not open (the room got very hot towards the morning)

The bed was comfy, the room was big

Someone had used the toilet in our room for a poo it stunk but told staff they said would pass my comment on but have heard no more ! The last night we were woken by loud noise which was from our bathroom it may have been heating pump or xtractor it was 4 am i also told the only member of staff i could find . I feel this should deserve a reduction in price. What do you think ?

Crussants stale solid first day yuk other continental breakfast ok not great

The room is very old and its not renovated. The hotel shows pictures of new and renovated rooms... and they give us a super old and no confortable.

The restaurant

I had previously stayed twice before and found my stay good value for money, good size room in hotel and good cooked breakfast in price. This time I was put in a small room more suited to being a single than a double. It was accessed through an uneven surfaced car park not suitable access for older or disabled people (I am registered blind). Room cheaply furnished with flat pack furniture, cheap, thin and unlined single curtain letting in light. Bedside light not working. No shaver point or toilet roll holder in bathroom. Uneven vinyl floor covering in bathroom. Although I paid almost twice as much as on my last visit I found although paying for breakfast when booking this proved now to be only a basic continental breakfast with an additional cost for anything cooked!

The bed was comfortable. The television was a good size. Towels were good size and quality.

The plug was stuck closed but we failed to realise and washed our dirty outdoor gear in the sink and were left with half a sink of muddy water. No shower gel, no soap, 1 Bath towel between 2. A busy kayaking weekend but not a great experience.

Staff helpful, very apologetic and quick to respond.

Having to pay for cooked breakfast

The hotel states B&B vut have have to pay for the full english - £8.50 and it was stupidly small stick to yhe free toast, fruit and cereal

As the room has just been refurbished the smell of paint was very strong. Unfortunately the windows have been painted shut so this could be a problem in the summer. No wardrobe in room - only coat hooks to put the hangers on. Very strange. Definitely need a wardrobe in room.

Large room which had been refurbished recently. Shower room wonderful. Staff very friendly.

• Executive Double Room

Room rate stated breakfast included, did not state that this was continental only! No reception staff until 9am, not possible to get an invoice at checkout.

Building has character

Only "continental" breakfast was included and it was pretty minimal with no ham or cheese as is normal on the continent and there was very little fresh fruit.

Room was comfortable and hotel was good value.

Only one coat hanger in the wardrobe and the drawers were too small to actually put anything in. On a previous stay the full breakfast menu was included in the price we paid. This time we had to pay extra for the cooked option. The choice of the included breakfast was rather disappointing.

Nice spacious bedroom and bathroom. Very good decorations

Car parking not ideal. Very small, tight car park that was full when I arrived. Very difficult to then get back out. Suitable parking about 100 yards away however.

Booked bed and breakfast and then we were informed at breakfast that cooked breakfast was extra costs. Only continental breakfast was included. This should be stated when booking. All other guest were also declining once they heard you had to pay extra. Woke up at 5am second morning of stay to drip drip drip water leaking in at window and all down the curtain was soaked wet through. Shower not enough room due to layout, kept bumping forehead.

Decoration could be better in bedroom/bathroom.

Friendly staff. Busy, but cosy atmosphere around open fire in lounge. Good food. Good location in centre of town; made it easy for bus routes (bus stop just over the road) to Avebury, Chippenham etc.

They fined me for apparently smoking in the room wich I didn't and have never done , but had no way out as I said I'll leave now if you reemburse me , at wich point they told me it was a non refundable payment so had to pay £50 or lose £270. As this happened to anyone else in this hotel because they had me over a barrel with no way out.

Shower was a trickle at best .

Landing and stairs could do with renovation upgrade but understandable due to the age and character of property/

Very helpful staff and a large spacious clean room with a great shower and towels.

There was no reception to check in or out

Staff were polite and friendly great value for money , breakfast was continental you had to pay for full English

having spent a lot of money refurbishing this hotel and making look good the staff were neither professional or welcoming £8.50 for full english breakfast?? not made clear when booking. Whole party of wedding guests very disappointed.... most of the people staying that weekend.

clean and tidy

The quick touch up of the room pre full refurb was done well, however a small bit of new flooring in the bathroom wouldn’t cost much but would really smarten it up in the meantime.

Really welcoming staff and our stay was lovely. The manager even managed to find us a taxi at short notice as we were heading to a near by village pub for a family gathering. The continental b’fast (included) was really beautiful and we also really enjoyed the hot smoked salmon and poached eggs we ordered from the menu. We knew we had booked one of the cheaper, yet to be renovated rooms but it was spotlessly clean and very comfortable, with a hot powerful shower so perfect for our one night in calne visiting family, and great value for money. The downstairs refurb looks great so no doubt once all the rooms have been completed it will be even better.

Bathroom could have been better updated when refurbishment was carried out in 2017

Continental breakfast I thought included cold meats and cheeses. This didn't. Cooked breakfast was extra which wasn't in my expenses budget. The restaurant was also closed on Sunday and Monday night but looking at the menu for other nights appeared expensive

The entire shower fixing fell off the wall, whilst showering, not a pleasant experience! The bed was very squeaky. Hotel has been done up very cheaply and decoration already looks very jaded, and not to a great standard.

The room was clean and tidy. Staff were friendly.

I didn't like the fact that breakfast was included but not a full English which wasn't stated in the detail I therefore felt it was misleading

• Executive Double Room

The floor boards are a little creaky in places, but that is really a very minor complaint

Great hotel. I can't think of any problems or deficiencies.

Unpleasant smell in room. Breakfast included is only continental. It's in the 'small print' that anything else is extra. This was an unwelcome surprise to us.

Décor was nice

On the website it said breakfast included - but it turned out only continental was included, cooked was extra - should have been clear up front. We weren't in the main part of the hotel, and the ground was uneven on the way to the rooms.

Evening meal was really good. The staff we spoke to in the hotel were really friendly. Although it is in the middle of Calne, we didn't notice any traffic noise at all.

Bathroom although very spacious was rather poorly designed with bath (under the stairs?) - meaning not much space to stand up at the tap end. Toilet made strange gurgling sounds with plumbing contraption added. This in itself was not a problem however. Would have preferred room away from traffic noise but it died down in time to go to sleep (might be a bit busier outside Christmas period).

Excellent location in the town and everything within walking distance. Beds were comfy and room more spacious than expected. A bargain for Christmas day via Booking.com. Breakfast was nice, but would have liked a little yogurt.

Nice old building with parking at the rear close to shops. In side warm and welcoming for food and drinks just what is needed after a long hard work load definitely would come again if in the area

The bar wasn’t stocked enough for the time of year.. The decor wasn’t acceptable chipped paint old and tired.. the pillows were disgusting .. The staff in reception weren’t very friendly.. poor parking facilities.. Very expensive for what we received..

The food was excellent, breakfast a must.

Windows in room so old gaps about 1 inch apart.cold night wind just blew through them.bathroom shower so small could not stand in it.water pressure no good took 15 minutes too fill bath.noise from outside MIGHT as well been in room with us.

Bars restaurant nice.beds comfy.room clean.

Bathroom and shower area was a total disgrace. i have taken pictures of the set up. no room in bath to shower and saniflo on back of toilet made load noise and vibrated.

.freindly staff when checking in and bar.

Bathroom needs re - vamping, a little on the shabby side

In general everything was very good The food in the restaraunt was excellent and the hotel staff were very good Temple Spa toiletries were great

Room old, television broken, taps broken, dressing table on a slant, so everything fell off. Nothing in room apart from old lamp. Couldn’t open windows as latch broken. Appalling, worse hotel ever stayed in. You

Staff were pleasant, breakfast was ok.

• Executive Double Room

The staff were very abrupt and not very smiley or happy. Customer service was a real issue in this hotel. The bed was rock hard. The breakfast was undercooked and took ages to come out. My 2 year old waited an hour for her porridge.

The location of the hotel was lovely.

The rooms were dated, the bathroom needed a complete overhaul. The breakfast was nice, but very small and the tea on offer was fowl.

The staff were great and the bar was lovely and friendly.

• Executive Double Room

Had a room at the front of the property and traffic noise was terrible throughout the night along with the town hall clock donging all the time. Breakfast service was a bit scatty unless you got there first but seemed like they couldn't cope with a large group or several orders at once - one of our party waited an hour for scrambled egg and salmon whilst everyone else had eaten.

Hotel was very old world with a rustic charm and the log fires were very cosy. Has a very nice Italian restaurant next door to it which is definitely worth visiting.

Noise from Garden - loud conversations/choice of language Checking-in - impersonal, no assistance with bags, lack of customer service Lack of security - street-garden-room door did not have any security measures

WiFi Helpful staff at breakfast helping me with contact number for taxi

No wardrobe,shower very dangerous, waiting over two hours for dinner (had 2 young children with us)So spoilt the whole evening.....

Staff...but all else fails

• Executive Double Room

My precious earrings disappeared from my bedroom the day after my son’s wedding. I know exactly where I left them too! As yet they have not been returned. I’m very upset - spoilt an amazing wedding

Unless you get a refurbished room, they are old, dirty, cramped and poorly finished. Both my colleague and I would not have stayed if the staff had not found us different rooms - they were that bad.

The staff were friendly, helpful and accommodating. The food both dinner and breakfast was good. The ground floor of the hotel, bar area, reception and dining facilities were lovely having just been refurbished including open fires.

Having to park away from the hotel. Fortunately the weather was good so carrying stuff back to the car wasn't a chore.

Ideally placed for what we wanted. Breakfast was fine and the bed comfy. The room was very quiet which suited us well. Overall it was good value for money and if the need arose we would stay again. The central location allowed us to have a look around the old part of Calne.

the whole upstairs of the building. It is dated and filthy. Also got told to park my car off site down a side street with no help from staff with my bags

• Executive Double Room

Parking on site was full on arrival and through a very tight entrance. Had to park in dark, muddy alley several hundred metres from hotel. Shower was poorly designed a sprayed water all over bathroom floor. Breakfast was disappointing. Overall hotel felt quite tired and run down although bar area had been refurbished well.

Pleasant staff, tried to make things work for me.

• Family Room

Decor

Very small cooked breakfast Defo needs decorating My bathroom was mouldy in parts Bedroom wallpaper coming away However - bedding comfortable and clean and adequate for a.one night stay in the town

My room was quite frankly disgusting! A very strong smell of paint fumes, on investigation the smell appeared to originate from the main door to the room. The carpet was very worn and stained, also there were paint traces/splashes on the carpet from the recent door paint. The inside of the wardrobe had a nail/screw protruding approx one to two inches from the wardrobe handle (not realising this, I managed to catch my jumper sleeve on the protrusion). When paying cash for the drink and meal the barman refused to accept my bank notes as they were Scottish currency!! I explained that Scottish bank notes were legal tender in the UK, but my notes were still not accepted! When appearing for breakfast the following morning, I enquired if there was any yogurt or fresh fruit? The waitress returned from the kitchen...no to the yogurt and a very sad looking bowl of fruit. The hotel only seems to cater for the "unhealthy option" of a cooked breakfast! Given the government are trying to promote healthy eating, I find the omission of healthy food strange??

The evening meal in the restaurant was excellent (I ordered the duck). I also ordered a gin & tonic in the bar area....a large selection of gins plus a selection of Fever Tree tonics (complete with a slice of cucumber).

Noisy. Originally put in a room above the crowded and noisy bar. Then moved to a far better room but no insulation and at 4am could hear everything going on as people moved about. Went to breakfast early before official start time but staff were there setting things up. Despite knowing I was in a hurry, there was absolutely no interest in helping me with simple things like putting the bread and butter out, offering me a cup of tea or coffee or even asking if there was anything I wanted. Zero customer interest.

Was a lovely old coaching inn that had recently had a face lift so looked bright and new

• Executive Double Room

Very comfortable de luxe room. Very friendly staff Parked in the town hall car park, as suggested by the staff( free) as very small courtyard car park

• Superior King Room

No on site parking, had to park in the street which was a bit worrying. The room was very quaint and difficult to find, however, it was very comfortable. The restaurant food was super although very small portions

Just very friendly and comfortable

Parking was limited so had to search for street parking until space became available on second day.

Staff were friendly and helpful. Room was spacious and very comfortable. Being at the back of the hotel overlooking the garden was a bonus as friends had a front facing room so could her the traffic.

The floor in our room was a bit uneven so the bed was at an angle

The breakfast was amazing and the furnishings in the room were gorgeous. Loved the open fires in the lobby

Needed more staff at the bar in the evening. Our room was in the court yard so you could hear people talking outside. This didn't go on too late. 11.30pm. Also I am a light sleeper & the chimes on the Town Hall clock kept me awake. But overall a very pleasant stay.

Breakfast was very good.

• Executive Double Room

Not enough tables for breakfast people waited to be sat down as no spaces

Very grateful to staff we left behind in the room a borrowed tee shirt for a party . The staff looked and found it phoned me to let me know. Well done much appreciated

Bathroom needs updating, noise from guests using stairs above room late night, early morning. It's a very old building, creaking floorboards to be expected.

Nicely renovated, friendly and helpful staff. Dinner menu was varied and chef very accommodating to my dietary restrictions.

• Superior King Room

There are limited parking spaces at the hotel and if you do get one, it's hard to get out! But there is good parking on the street, opposite the side of the hotel which is free.

The room we had was recently renovated and very comfortable. It was facing the side of the hotel so very quiet and peaceful. We initially had an issue with the room we thought we booked but the staff sorted it out for us immediately. The hotel was situated in the centre so easy access to shops and pubs. The staff were very friendly, professional and helpful. We had an evening meal at the hotel which was more expensive than what we'd usually pay but worth the price...It was so delicious!

We only had a short stay but no complaints.

Fab stay, staff were lovely and breakfast the next morning was great. Parking only for a few cars but there is a big car park across the road so no bother.

Browse Lansdowne Strand Hotel traveller photo gallery