Reviews of Leonardo Royal Hotel Edinburgh Haymarket 4 stars

1 Morrison Link, Edinburgh, EH3 8DN, United Kingdom

#97 of 138 hotels in Edinburgh

• Reviewed: 21 September 2018

Nice hotel if you get a quiet room but let down by customer service.
    • Standard King with Sofa

The room we were given was on the first floor directly above the reception area and the entrance to the hotel. We were kept awake by noise from taxis dropping off and picking up guests going to/from the airport all night! Taxi drivers would stand talking to each other whilst waiting for their fare. Guests would stand directly under our window talking and smoking. The room smelt strongly of cigarette smoke and cannabis because of this and we could not have the windows open. We asked to be moved the next morning and were made to wait until approx 5pm before we could move our belongings. This had an impact on our last night in Edinburgh and we were late going out for our evening meal. We found the reception staff hard to liaise with. I left my brand-new foundation in our previous room and told reception less than 2 hours after moving but they never came back to me and I had to keep reminding them. They then said they could not find the item. I asked them to contact the cleaner who had done the room and ask where the item was but they never came back to me again. They seemed too occupied with checking-in and out guests but not dealing with queries or complaints! My partner had to walk into Edinburgh at 7pm to buy me some new foundation before we could go out. I never got my item back or an apology!

The décor in the deluxe room we had was modern and bright. The hotel was spotlessly clean and the cleaners were really helpful and friendly. The train and tram stops are a short 5 minute walk away from the hotel.

• Reviewed: 21 September 2018

Nice hotel, great location Breakfast was a bit pricey for what was offered
    • Standard Double

Free parking, breakfast was very average for the cost

Very comfortable room and facilities, on site parking was also good but had to pay extra for this!

• Reviewed: 20 September 2018

Nice hotel but, unfortunately, deficient service
    • Standard Twin with Sofa

When we arrived they took a while to find our booking. Payment was requested in full at check-in. When we arrived to the (triple occupancy) room it was prepared for two people only. On the second day we left early and when we came back in the late afternoon the room had not been made up. I tried to contact reception by phone without success. Somebody turned up at 18:30 at which time we had to pass on cleaning the room as we had to get ready for dinner reservations. On the following day we returned at 14:30 and, again, the room had not been made up. I called reception and they sent somebody. When we returned to the room after the cleaning, our key cards did not work. We went to reception and the person there first insisted that we were not in the system and when she finally found our booking she claimed that we must have carried the cards next to our mobiles (I have used enough of these cards to be very careful about doing that). In total I had to go to reception four times to have cards reprogrammed.

The room was comfortable and quiet. Everything was in good working order (these days a leaking tap or burnt light is almost standard but not this time). The location was fairly convenient to visit key attractions. Breakfast was really good.

• Reviewed: 20 September 2018

Enjoyable, would stay again.
    • Standard King with Sofa

More attention to small details, breakfast choices got less as things ran out and not replenished, in room beverage tray not replenished and cups not replaced, not huge things but a bit irritating.

Friendly staff, good breakfast, quiet location, extra touches for female bookers.

Good modern comfortable accommodation.

Check-in was chaos with too many large bus groups checking in at once. Electronic key cards kept failing.

Good modern international hotel. Clean, comfortable accommodation in a good location.

Jagoda was doing her best to deal with staff shortages but...
    • Standard Twin with Sofa

Jagoda was doing her best to deal with staff shortages but the evening was very chaotic. As we arrived a couple were finishing their meal and advised us not to eat at the restaurant as “it was terrible”. Bar staff were slow and didn’t have enough change at the bar. One poor lady was asking for bedding for her children, who wanted to go to bed, at 9pm. People were queuing to check in. Overall I would say it’s not somewhere I’d stay again.

When we checked in we received our keys and headed up to our...
    • Standard King with Sofa

When we checked in we received our keys and headed up to our room. We opened the door and there were people already staying there. We went back downstairs and they didn’t really seem to know what’s going on. But we were given a new room, which was fine. Not as clean as I would expect. Used toiletries left in the shower and hair as well.

Disappointed for such a large hotel and compared to LHR. Don't expect any help. Bad mgt.
    • Standard King with Sofa

Foreign staff that do not understand english. Do not clean the room properly. Eventhough the not disturb sign was put at the door the housekeeping staff kept knocking the door for cleanup. Eventhough our reservation was for three persons we only got 2 sets of towels. Asked for 2 days for extra linens and pillows for the sofabed which was provided on the third day. Glass used for wine was left dirty same for tea cups. Check in procedure was to long. Large lines.

The comfortable bed, large bathroom and in room entertainment. Lots of tv channels

Excellent size of room and furbished to a good standard.
    • Executive Double with Sofa

Room service was very poor - couldn't deliver the menu - had 1 item and seemed reluctant to do anything. They also shut resident bar early.

Excellent size of room and furbished to a good standard.

Good location just 10 min walk to main tourist area.
    • Standard King with Sofa

Only one towel in double room. Asked reception 3 times for another towel as 2 of us in room but it never materialised. Light over bathroom sink not working. Overheard another traveller checking in offered a much better rate. Breakfast very expensive £15 per person so didn’t take up offer to upgrade to bed & breakfast.

Good location just 10 min walk to main tourist area.

Good location but not value for money
    • Standard King with Sofa

Booked a double room (for 5 nights), got a twin with the beds shoved together but separate bed coverings. Every time we left the hotel we had to get our room cards re-programmed and some of the staff were quite rude when asked to redo our cards. If you returned to the hotel when a tour of 40+ guests were being checked in you had a hell of a wait to get into your room. Almost all of the residents we spoke to experienced this problem. This is something which really needs sorting. One of the two lifts was also out of action during our stay. luckily we were on the first floor. The cleaning of the room and bathroom facilities was very hit and miss. A couple of days our glasses and cups were not cleaned/washed and coffee and tea supplies were not replenished. Wet towels which were left hanging to dry were re folded and placed on the rack as if they had been replaced. Not nice having to use wet towels.....

Room was a decent size, with fridge and safe. Fridge was a blessing as the hotel were charging £15pp for breakfast!! (one of their evening main course meals cost £12) where's the logic???? Bathroom was also a decent size with choice of bath or shower (however the shower itself was basic - poor flow rate). The hotel location is good and within easy walking distance of the center and for bus, tram and train connections.

I was enjoying my third visit and yet again found all the...
    • Standard Double

My room 228 was on a corner overlooking Malones Bar and while their music was pegged at reasonable levels I feel that my room would have benefitted from better soundproofing.

I was enjoying my third visit and yet again found all the staff very friendly and courteous. Breakfast was very good with lots of hot and cold choices. However, at peak periods I think the staff struggled to keep up with refilling the hot dishes and there was sometimes a bit of a wait eg for more eggs. This is only a wee criticism which says more about how popular the food is than anything else really.

Nice, but don't go during a busy time
    • Standard Double

We were there for our mini moon and were very excited - but we felt like the staff weren't happy as it was extremely busy... the room we booked was not available, we spent the first night in a room which wasn't ready, the toilet was blocked and constant knocking the whole night. I asked to switch the following morning, and accidentally left our passports in our first room. We realised that same day (early evening) but when we asked for help the staff said we had to ask again the next day when the cleaners were around. Felt very shrugged off. And then the next morning, it happened again we were told to wait. It's only when I refused to leave reception that something got done. I understand that it's hard when it's a busy time, but we should never have been made to feel an inconvenience when what is actually meant to be a trip of a life time.

Very clean , and comfortable bed
    • Executive Double with Sofa

Check in was absolute shambles! Computer crashed so no one could check in. (12 Sep 18 ) Arrived 4pm in room at 8pm. Not acceptable.

Very clean , and comfortable bed

Delighted
    • Standard Double

We arrived early hours on 13th bit of confusion over the early check in but the girl at reception was absolutely wonderful and an asset to your company

Not good.
    • Standard Double

Only one lift, certified for 8 people was working for this large hotel. It was one of the busiest weekends of the year and it was an impossible situation! Long queues formed to use the lift, specially in the afternoons when people were checking in. Many people gave up and used the stairs, lugging bags, children, prams etc. Breakfast was not good at all, and poor value for money.

The location is good, a little out of the centre of town, but close to Haymarket train station. Room was clean, bed was comfy and bathroom, while basic, appeared to be newly renovated.

Good position at a reasonable cost.
    • Standard King with Sofa

Very small room for 3 people. Sofa bed extremely uncomfortable. Breakfast very crowded and extremely slow service for dinner.

Good position at a reasonable cost.

satisfactory
    • Standard King with Sofa

breakfast ad Dinner was tarnished by shoertage of resource and food due to large party. This should have been addressed when business was aware. Lift fault caused conjestion

Location and ease of use

A previous loyal Booking.com customer
    • Standard Double

On booking in was told my room was ready. This was not the case . I was then told that it would be given priority, 6 hours later the room had still not be cleaned from the previous occupant. Reqested another room, next day out for 8 hours only to come back and find this new room had not been made up. Again much running around to get action. On coming home and after checking my bank account it appears I have been charged for an extra night. Ringing the hotel for an explanation I am unable to get through. As my booking was with yourselves, contacting you is proving just as difficult, the reply being that you are too busy. I have used your services on numerous occasions and I'm feeling extremely let down on this trip. All in all a unforgetable experience. Can you please expediate this overcharging.

- The bed was comfy after a request for 2 layers of duvet.
    • Standard Twin with Sofa

- Ensure that the complete request during booking are taken into consideration and worked on'; Example was the request for extra soft-bed but did not realized and we had to sleep on the hard mattress for two nights before our new request. - - Ensure that full or complete or total room cleaning is done, again example was for the tea cups not cleaned.

- The bed was comfy after a request for 2 layers of duvet. Breakfast was lovely and delicious warm meal, croissant, pain au chocolat, hot coffee and dessert. Excellent ambiance at hotel with very warmly reception. Very happy and smiley staffs and services. - Ms. Jagoda Zwiernik at the check-out was very customer-friendly, smiley and serviceable. - Equally for Ms. Dominica and Justina were very happily customer-serviceable. Many thanks & Well appreciated:)

The rooms were pretty big.
    • Standard Double

The bathroom could be equipped better: it took a long time for water to warm up to the needed temperature, the shower (pipe?) was making a loud clicking sound long after the water was switched off.

The rooms were pretty big.

Location, style, cleanliness, comfort, all excellent
    • Standard Double

No residents bar? All bars closed at 1am on a Saturday night? I couldn’t even get a cup of tea - sent to my room like a naughty schoolboy...

Location, style, cleanliness, comfort, all excellent

Terrible service, zero communication
    • Standard Twin with Sofa

When we arrived at 4:30pm our room wasn't ready so was given another room with broken fridge and the kids bed wasn't made up. I didn't realise the fridge wasn't working so stocked it full of food for very fussy 4yr old. Luckily I realised it was broken and he didn't eat the off food the next day. The next day we reported it and the unmade bed at 11am on our way out for the day. Upon our return around 6pm, both were still broken and bed unmade. I managed to find the housekeeper myself and she quickly got sheets and duvet for the extra bed. But no communication at all about the fridge. We needed a fridge for our kid to use. I asked at reception and they had no idea about the fridge! The next day I asked again and they said it was fixed but the food in it was v smelly and clearly off so we wasted £25 on food we couldn't use. On the 3rd night a drunk man went along the corridor at midnight rattling on all the doors and screaming. Felt q scary. Tried to call reception but they weren't picking up. This went on for 1 hour. I asked at reception the following day and they said it was an ongoing problem but they had resolved it. So I was none the wiser what was going on. The room was v small There was v limited toiletries and no conditioner for hair. Combined shampoo and conditioner doesn't do the same job. The third day the housekeeper forgot to clean our room and when I brought it up at 6pm after being out all day the receptionist said the housekeeper work until 8pm and she would send someone up. And of course nobody did come up as they had all packed up much earlier. So it sounded like a lie. So we went to reception to collect fresh towels ourselves. But the bin was full of rubbish etc. Just lazy housekeeping. The instant coffee in the room was disgusting.

The location was q central The breakfasts are fair and I've experienced a lot worse The food in the evenings is fair too. The mattress wasn't too firm so we slept well minus the drunk man

Check in could have been easier.
    • Standard Twin with Sofa

Check in could have been easier... large group check in should have a separate line. They could let you know that the restaurant closes for large groups and no one else can eat there. We were supposed to have 3 beds in a family room... We had 2. Definitely not as close to Grassmarket as it is made out to be.

Room was booked for three people and they hadn’t set it up.
    • Standard Twin with Sofa

Room was booked for three people and they hadn’t set it up. Asked twice and still wasn’t done. In the end a cleaner sorted it for us - she was fantastic.

Very poor experience.
    • Standard Twin with Sofa

We had a terrible experience with the Leonardo group. They messed up our booking, tried to rectify the situation and messed up again. One of our guests were even given a key to an occupied room and walked in on someone in the shower. I'm still waiting for the operations manager to call but I've not heard anything yet after the promise of a call yesterday and again this morning. I certainly won't be making any bookings with this hotel in the future. Whilst one of my guests were there, they overheard a conference getting cancelled last minute due to "staffing issues" which let down a large group of business men who were already onsite waiting for it to begin. I wouldn't book here if you'd like an easy & smooth stay, it seems as though The Leonardo are having real issues at the moment with staff and it was an embarrassment to have my name on the booking when all my guests turned up- it made me look incompetent when communication from my end could not have been stronger. You can't get through easily over the phone and very rarely get a response via email. Very disappointed and urge others to go elsewhere- especially if you're a group booking or business booking.

Ok for one night
    • Standard King with Sofa

The Hotel was a little shabby and fairly basic. Service on the reception and in the bar was very poor. The room was OK but the photos flatter reality. The room wasn’t particularly clean , unemptied waste bins and chipped cups on the tea/coffee tray.

Location close to city centre (10 min walking).

Restaurant at dinner not well dimensioned (insufficient staff) and conceived (poor/standard menu, and closing hours).

Location close to city centre (10 min walking). Functional / good condition. Polite staff.

Disappointing visit
    • Standard Twin with Sofa

I ordered room service the first evening which never arrived. The second day of my two night stay my room card was deactivated (after already mentioning via email before my visit to make sure I am in same room for both nights and I made my booking separately. I also mentioned this at check-in and was promised all will be fine). I had to go through check-in process again. I had a Gin and Tonic at the bar - drink was done in a slap dash manor with melted ice cubes in a very unattractive glass. I ordered a fish finger sandwich and this took an hour to arrive after waiting for 20 minutes to be served in the first place.

Attractive and tidy room

Decent room but that’s about it
    • Standard Double

Check-in was an ordeal, with massively insufficient baggage storage capacity. Bags strewn down a corridor in the reception area and not very secure. Breakfast very expensive. Lifts on one side of the hotel broken so had to walk almost the entire length of the hotel to our room.

Decent room, parking was good value and very convenient.

Amazing, will definitely be back!!
    • Standard King with Sofa

We had to go down to the bar for ice and we told it would be brought up, it never arrived,

Bed was like sleeping on clouds. Room very spacious and very clean. Staff were so lovely and helpful. Location was surrounded in bars and restaurants, only a couple of minutes walk from Princes Street. Hotel was better than expected and i had very high exceptions for it.

Slightly disappointing overall due to the water ingress!
    • Standard King with Sofa

The bath leaked, probably from around the plug controller, and unfortunately leaked under the adjoining wall into the bedroom. Carpet and EVERYTHING on the floor was sodden, including clothes, bags, etc. The Duty Manager did come and check when we checked out, and did refund a portion of our room bill

Location is very convenient, within walking distance of most things. Rooms are comfortable and quiet.

greate location which is near the railway station, walked...
    • Standard Double

1.not cheap, furthermore, the price in check-in day is cheaper than the booked-price in advance 2.the check in is mess, I waited for 20 mins. 3. the lift is small and only one works. 3. the room card does not work, I have change it for 3 times, every time I had to walk through the long corridor and staircase, over and over again.

greate location which is near the railway station, walked around 5 mins.

• Reviewed: 9 September 2018

The room was spacious and the bed was comfortable.
    • Standard King with Sofa

My room was on the first floor and there was a constant noise caused from the cars passing through the street.

The room was spacious and the bed was comfortable. The breakfast was good. The staff at the reception was very nice and helpful.

• Reviewed: 9 September 2018

Needs improvement
    • Standard King with Sofa

Delay in getting the room. We were waiting at reception for 45min. Breakfast was exactly same on all three days. Room cleaning wasn't up to the mark.

Location is great.

• Reviewed: 8 September 2018

The location was not bad for getting back and forth to...

Our room was not ready until after four o’clock. Then they had to find another room for us that was not scheduled for us. The baskets in the room were never emptied. The staff was generally indifferent to our requests and no one seemed to put themselves out to accommodate us. Would Not recommend this hotel.

The location was not bad for getting back and forth to restaurants and sight seeing.

• Reviewed: 8 September 2018

Walking distance to Princes Street and the old town.
    • Standard King with Sofa

Cleaners woke us up on both mornings trying the door on numerous occasions even though the do not disturb sign was up and check out wasn’t for hours.

Walking distance to Princes Street and the old town.

• Standard Twin with Sofa

Booked this for my Mum & her sister. When booking, breakfast was supposed to be included but it wasn't when they arrived. Booked a triple room as there were no twins available...they were told after being interrogated for several minutes they couldn't have a triple & were stuck into another room in a double bed (both ladies are over 60). Only 1 miserable chair, no clean towels given. That night the TV remote batteries died - they asked for replacements - an hour later no one had sorted it out so Mum rang reception again. A very unhelpful receptionist came, took the remote & disappeared. After another hour Mum walked down to reception to be told the receptionist had just fired the remote into a drawer & not bothered herself to do anything!! When checking out, the same receptionist made a smart comment under her breath to my Mum & left the reception desk!!! Even her colleague was shocked! So disappointed as this was a birthday gift. Thank God their experience of Edinburgh itself was amazing....just a very unhelpful hotel with unprofessional staff who don't appreciate the guests keeping them in jobs.

• Reviewed: 8 September 2018

It was okay.Would I stay there again? If the price were right we might consider it.
    • Standard Double

The room appeared conjested because of the presence of a small bed which we neither requested nor needed.one reading spotlight was not working and despite pointing it out to a maintenance fellow who promised to fix it, it remained not functioning. This was important for us as we both read in bed before we fall asleep. When we returned on Wednesday at around 6pm from leaving at about 11.15 am,our room was exactly as we had left it. Several calls resulted in no response, so I went down myself and the supervisor said their cleaning staff worked until 10pm, she would get someone to do it.Someone did come up and made the bed, gave a quick rush with the vacuum cleaner, asked whether I needed anything, I did - a shower cap, and left. She was pleasant enough and willing, but I guess very overworked as there were guests coming and going all the time.The next day the room was properly cleaned and toiletries used were replaced. They need to be more vigilant with the vacuuming (it does not need to be done every day ) buti thoroughly when it is done.Hotel rooms are a magnet for dust mites and other germs.They also need to be more careful with washing the baths, hand held showers would make it easier for guests to clean up after they use it, and for the very same reason as the vacuuming. When we arrived the staff who were on duty were indifferent to say the least. There was nothing welcoming about their manner. Perhaps they were tired!

The bed was comfortable and the linen of good quality.their towels were also very good and clean,toiletries ofThe a reasonable standard were provided, adequate wardrobe space, iron and hair dryer were in the room. Functioning air conditioner, which we fortunately did not need. Breakfast was varied and plentiful.

As above - but would rate no higher than 3 star
    • Standard King with Sofa

As Above . Hotel large and soul less No comfortable lounge bar to relax.

The Beds and Pillow were hard and gave us stiff necks . Asked for more pillows but still to flat with no support . Cups in rooms had no handles , so you could not pick up a fresh hot drink . No biscuits on tray. Breakfast was basic with no fresh fruit and limited cereal choice . Hairs left in bed ? Hotel car park was handy for travellers with vehicles but hotel located too far out of town for ederly to walk . Staff were not too friendly .

Staff are undertrained, poor service at checkin and checkout...
    • Standard King with Sofa

Staff are undertrained, poor service at checkin and checkout, lack of staff as long queue at the counter through the whole day. Doesn’t worth the money.

• Reviewed: 5 September 2018

A good base to explore Edinburgh.
    • Standard King with Sofa

Bar wasn’t open as late as specified

The rooms were clean and modern with a nice scottish vibe. Warm shower and comfortable bed. Tasty, varied breakfast.

• Reviewed: 5 September 2018

The room is comfortable and clean
    • Standard Double

The room service was poor, some recipients are rude, all of them they are not attending the calls for long time , if i asked for somthing they will take long time to deliver it to the room and their excuses were( we are too busy with customers check in and there is shortage of the staff)!!. In our 1st night ,they gave us a room for other customers ,when we opened the door we realised that there are ppl inside. The receptionist admitted it was a mistake and they changed the room no.

The room is comfortable and clean the facilities in the room are good. The whole building, decoration and location are good. The food is tasty in the kitchen ,the man in the bar and kitchen reception was so pilot and helpful,doing many jobs at the same time.

Fine with Staff.
    • Standard King with Sofa

1. While booking, there is confusion on breakfast included. I expected breakfast included. 2. Not able to get invoice from hotel which including breakfast. I get separate bill for breakfast which can not be claimed from our company as part of stay. 3. I have emailed booking.com to get itemized invoice (price details per night). But there is no response so far.

Fine with Staff. Comfort on Bed

A standard location.
    • Standard Twin with Sofa

Front desk/ reception staff looks to be very busy. The guest has to stay in a queue for a long time. For emergent checkouts it is difficult. At time there is no one seen in the reception. Little away from central area.

Good breakfast.

Long Check-in process, Rooms are not ready when you are check-in, will not come back again
    • Standard King with Sofa

I am not sure if you can rate this as a 4-star hotel. The check-in process is a disaster, the management system of the check-in is very poor. People were coming back to the reception after they were checked-in because the rooms that they were given were not ready. During the check-in, the staff was not very polite, I guess she was frustrated with dealing with many people, but again, that was not my problem! I was there as a guest and I was expecting to be welcomed. We were given a room, and when we went to the room, the room was still being cleaned. (it was 1 hour after the normal check-in time). The cleaner told us it would take another 10 minutes to clean the room. We stayed in the room until he finished the cleaning. Because he was in rush, we noticed that he didn't clean the bathroom properly. He used the existing glassed in the room, washed them with only water and put them back in the room! The hot water is a disaster. Either you burn yourself or it's cold. There was no hot water in the morning, again that's because of poor facility system in the hotel. In the second day when the hotel staff had cleaned our room, there was no extra toilet paper provided. Considering all these factors, I will not go back to this hotel again and I do not recommend it. I don't blame any of the staff, the management of the hotel is very poor. p.s. we did not use the hotel's restaurant, so I can not comment on this, but based on what I saw, I can only say you would experience the same issues in the restaurant in terms of the waiting time and poor management.

Location is far enough from the city crowd and close enough to walk to the city.

Met our expectation and responded well to difficulties.
    • Standard Double

When we got to our room it had not been made-up, so we got a free upgrade. Extremely positive attitude to fixing the problem.

Good breakfast, easy parking. Exceptionally good reception staff.

A little disappointed
    • Standard King with Sofa

The windows were grubby on the outside and didn’t look very inviting. There was luggage all over reception and a queue down to the main doors with people checking in, slow process for checking in with not enough staff on reception to help with the amount of people coming through the door. There wasn’t enough staff covering in the restaurant area and at breakfast it was a little disorganised, not enough stock out, dried pastries etc, tables not being cleared. All a little disappointing! The ginger Chappie with glasses was very helpful but apart from that I wouldn’t stay here again! Food passable but not brilliant.

Good location, comfortable hotel, ideal for a weekend break
    • Standard Double

After waiting 10 minutes to be seated for evening meal we were. Told they were not filling any more tables as the kitchen was too busy. Not good on a Friday night!

Quiet for such a big hotel and comfortable.g

Hotel offers great accommodation and location
    • Standard King with Sofa

The staff were clearly very unhappy working in this hotel, with the exception of the two breakfast guys who were fine - the reception and bar staff were miserable, poorly tempered and lacking in interest to provide a pleasant service to the guests!

The location was great, the hotel was clean and the room provided everything we needed with very nice décor!

Very central.
    • Standard King with Sofa

One computer crashed so check in and check out very slow. At times when walking through reception there were lots of guests waiting to check in

Very central. Near tram and bus

Edinburgh 1 Night Stay
    • Executive Double with Sofa

Reception took a while to check people in, however our room was ready even though we arrived early! My girlfriend also got locked in the bathroom as soon as we arrived!

Brilliant & easily accessible location, a great range of complimentary goods. Very comfortable!

• Reviewed: 31 August 2018

Expensive option when we didn't get what we paid for.
    • Standard Twin with Sofa

I booked a family room. Was told it would have twin beds and a sofa bed. It had only a double and a trundle. With a 5 and 8 year old we couldn't face going back to reception and get moved. It was 0230 and we had been traveling for hours. The kids needed to get to bed. So I slept in the double with two wriggle bums and my husband suffered the trundle bed. So only three sets of towels were provided. The breakfast buffet was poor value. Understaffed and constantly running out of filled dishes. The staff tried their best but clearly a floor manager would help here. I did report to reception on check out. Won't stay there again.

One of the only hotels who had a family room and could accommodate a 0200 arrival

• Reviewed: 30 August 2018

Our overnight stay!
    • Executive Double with Sofa

being pushed aside by two coaches full of people when a second attempt to check in was made, also bar prices were high, also three times we had the room key reprogrammed but still did not open our door so we asked a cleaning lady to let us in so we could then check out, we shall not be booking this hotel again.

Comfort of the hotel.

A slightly higher grade hotel to Holiday Inn/Premier Express.
    • Standard Double

The cost of the accommodation - it was triple the normal price. We booked a double room a few months prior to our visit and on one of our two days stay there checked to see the price that day - it was half what we paid. Presumably, the price hike us due to Fringe and Tattoo - generally we would expect a lot more from a hotel for the price we paid.

Friendliness of staff and location - it was not in the centre of the city which was very busy due to Fringe and Tattoo's final week (we were happy to approx. 15 mins to the centre).

Nice place to stay when visiting Edimbourgh
    • Standard Twin with Sofa

The quality of the extra bed is very bad (very hard mattress and not confortable at all for a young adult). Confusion in room attribution initially but solved in a friendly manner

The parent's bed was extra large and very comfortable, bathroom and room decoration was appreciated. Parking was not clearly indicated but, when found, very practical and not too expensive.

Mixed experience.
    • Standard King with Sofa

Air conditioning went off every couple of hours meaning that the room temperature increased to an uncomfortable level for sleeping. Both my wife and I had a broken night's sleep. Hot water was distinctly luke warm at 10pm which was unfortunate as we wanted bath/showers after a day out at the Fringe.

All the staff we dealt with were very pleasant and seemed interested in helping us enjoy our stay.

Excellent location.
    • Standard King with Sofa

My only negative is that we wanted a pizza at 10:00 and even they were advertising a 24h room service for the pizza, we had too wait till 11:00 for the chef to start his shift. Restaurant was closing at 10:00. Also the prices of the restaurant were a bit expensive. Overall value for money expensive. But for sure I will visit again.

Excellent location. 15 minutes walk from the heart of city centre. Parking offered at a daily rate of 8 pounds. Rooms were clean and spacious. Staff was very friendly. Breakfast buffet was excellent. For sure I will visit again.

Would not recommend and would not go back! I’ve never stayed in a hotel with such poor service!
    • Executive Double with Sofa

The room was dirty!! I reported it to 3 different staff members and still no action. Our room was not serviced until after 5pm one day (cleaning issue NOT remedied) also bed only covered over and not made up underneath!

Fabulous
    • Standard Twin with Sofa

Could have been better instructions to the transport facilities in close proximity to the hotel.

Loved the ambience and the big family room could accomodate 3 of us.. linen was fresh, soft and clean

• Reviewed: 25 August 2018

Let down by details
    • Standard Double

Let down by easily solvable problems which recurred: No breakfast bowls available. Toiletries not replenished. A tired hotel without a mission

Big room. Good location for Ed Festival

• Reviewed: 25 August 2018

Very helpful staff
    • Standard Double

I checked in quite late on my first day and the room (427) I was allocated did not have a telephone and was very small. Apparently two rooms in the hotel don't have phones yet the hotel promotes room service. I asked to be moved because of this and was allocated another room but when I opened the door it was clear someone was still staying in it. I was then allocated a very nice room upgraded room in recognition of the problems which I appreciated and enjoyed my stay. The staff are very, very helpful

Very helpful staff

• Reviewed: 24 August 2018

Staff didn’t know their arse from their elbow at reception
    • Standard Double

Dealing with check in was ridiculous waited an hour to be given twin room instead of double room whole load of hassle for a one night stay

The hotel was lovely

• Reviewed: 24 August 2018

Hotel Hell !! Yuk don't stay here, I've used Booking.com for years and this is the only Disaster !
    • Standard Twin with Sofa

Shocking ! Waited 2 hours until 5pm to get into our room that we had booked in January , for our 30th wedding anniversary . no sympathy from the duty manager . we just sat and sat and SAT Horrible .. What hotel decides to change its mattresses in August in Edinburgh ?! don't they know theres a Festival on and its a bit Busy !! Idiots ! Hotel is also esthetically a mess so many strange conflicting features not easy or relaxing on the eye ..Awful !

Nothing !! Except Magda the trainee receptionist and Eloise the second duty manager we dealt with who did have sympathy with our Horrible situation and attempted to show remorse and an eagerness to help us ..

• Reviewed: 24 August 2018

It was a good place to stay
    • Standard King with Sofa

One of the mornings the breakfast was s little sparse as there were no croissants or pain au chocolate plus the pure orange tasted as if it was watered down

Handiness to city centre. Lovely receptionists.

• Reviewed: 24 August 2018

Very nice hotel.friendly staff.nice atmosphere
    • Standard Double

There was no beer on draft.only limited choice of bottled beer.only one lift working in lobby area.

Very clean and central to the centre of town.nice bottle of water in the room.nice staff

• Standard King with Sofa

the value for money -far too expensive the staff was not friendly we had several issues with our room keys which had been wrongly programmed

The people attending on the reception desk are not kind.
    • Standard Twin with Sofa

The people attending on the reception desk are not kind. They are very serious and they not demonstrate hospitality at all. We left the room and 2 hours later we realized we forgot our camera. We phoned and someone told us that they were going to call us back to say if the camera was in the room or not. Nobody has still phoned us. I think it is not acceptable.

Disappointing and very expensive for the quality and lack of service.
    • Standard Double

It was very expensive for what appeared to be nothing more than a budget hotel, lack of facilities In the restaurant and no room service even though it was 24/7 as advertised.

Location was good

Adequate, but There Must be Better Close to the Airport
    • Standard Double

Check-in was a nightmare. One clerk, very long line, took forever. The clerk had a very hard time sorting out that the 4 of us had 3 rooms reserved on one booking. The restaurant had a very limited selection for dinner, and after I’d chosen one of the 4-5 pizzas offered, we were told that none of the pizzas were available — but the hamburger was good. The shower was very whimpy and a bit dangerous. One of those narrow, curved walled tub/showers, slippery, high to step over & no grab bar (except on the tub).

The beds were mostly comfortable. We paid on arrival as we had very early flights. Checkout was a breeze, they called a cab for us & it arrived within 5 minutes!

Location was good, near to the tram etc.
    • Standard Twin with Sofa

The good menu in the restaurant was really expensive and limited, we ended up eating out. I expected a proper 3rd single bed in the triple room. The double bed mattress was very hard.

Location was good, near to the tram etc.

If you don't mind walking, then this hotel is fine.
    • Standard Double

Location! Too far from everything.

Overall the hotel was fine, but daily cleaning of the rooms needs improvement. For the first two days, we didn't get soap or shower gel; on the third day we left her a note. The night stand was not cleaned, even though I had spilled tea on it.

Good stay
    • Executive Double with Sofa

Although it says city centre it was a way out from the centre, although accessible by the tram just a few steps away.

The hotel was clean and comfortable, a free fridge was in the room which was very helpful for our stay. Breakfast was good and the choice was quite wide. Tram from the airport was a big plus

Room nice. Food awful.
    • Standard Double

The food was awful 100percent not worth the money. Me and my partner ordered room service we ordered pizza and a sandwich each the pizza said freshly made on the box it was a frozen pizza the sandwich they didn't get right it was meant to bloomer it was normal bread not anything like a 4 star hotel. And it come to 36 pound I was shocked I've had much better food in a 2 star hotel. Not worth 180 pound for the night. Regardless to say i wouldn't ever stay there again or recommend it to anyone ever. Kind regards Luke Ralston

The room was clean and was in good location .

Breakfast should be included .
    • Standard Double

Very firm mattresses in both our rooms

Breakfast should be included . It was expensive to start with but I feel that would attract more guests if breakfast was available