Reviews of Argyll Western Hotel 2 stars

6 Buckingham Terrace, Great Western Road, North West, Glasgow, G12 8EB, United Kingdom

#32 of 81 hotels in Glasgow

• Reviewed: 17 October 2018

Clean, comfortable hotel.
    • Basic Double Room

There were no blankets and it got cold in the night. This was rectified the 2nd night.

The reception staff were very nice. The room was very clean and the bed was comfortable.

• Reviewed: 8 October 2018

Exceptionally friendly and helpful staff.
    • Basic Double Room

Exceptionally friendly and helpful staff. The location on Great Western Road is fantastic, right next to the botanic gardens. Parking right outside the hotel door, although this was mostly down to luck and the time we arrived.

• Reviewed: 28 September 2018

A welcoming place and I will return when I visit Glasgow again.

I can't really think of anything other than the toaster produced pale toast. I think that was probably due to other guests rather than the hotel though.

Friends of mine recommended the hotel to me, and I was not disappointed. The staff were friendly and diligent in their work.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2018

Great location. Wonderful hospitality.
    • Basic Triple Room

The room is a little small for three people.

The hospitality made up for the smaller accommodations. The host couldn’t have been nicer. Super helpful giving us information and getting taxis. Breakfast was excellent.

• Reviewed: 21 September 2018

We visit Glasgow often and always choose the Argyll Western Hotel.
    • Basic Double Room

I wish this hotel had some sort of lobby, lounge, or common room in which people could gather and hang out--for example, while waiting to meet visitors--but in the absence of that, the dining room works pretty well, and we were invited to make ourselves home there.

This is a welcoming, clean, and comfortable place, in a good location near the University of Glasgow. Our room wasn't overly large, but it had everything we needed: nice furnishings including a good-sized desk (good for those who need to work while traveling!), full bathroom, good wifi.

Good value for money but small rooms
    • Basic Double Room

The room was really small with the tiniest bathroom we have ever used.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. The room was quiet and breakfast was good and affordable. Location was a five minute walk to the subway.

Everything.
    • Basic Double Room

Everything was spot on. Value for money. The only thing we didn't like was that they were fully booked in October when we are going to Glasgow again and we couldn't stay there.

Everything. Staff was excellent. Breakfast was excellent. Room was spotless and comfortable.

A lovely peaceful and relaxing hotel.

I've only got one small criticism. before staying I booked breakfast online for £5. I then paid £5 for this in cash when I was checking out. I now see I have been debited this amount from my card - so I have paid twice for breakfast. It was not the fault of the staff - I caused it because I didn't want to check out without paying for the breakfast. So just a mix up with cash / online payment systems.

The room was small but very comfortable and warm and the shower was modern and worked very well.

• Reviewed: 9 September 2018

SIMPLE DECOR WITH WONDERFUL BATHROOM!

HOTELS ARE NOT PREPARED FOR THE NEWER SUITCASES THAT OPEN OUT FLAT. THE DESK CLERK WHEN WE ARRIVED NEVER SMILED WHICH REMINDED ME OF THE WAY I WAS TREATED WHEN I ASKED TO EXTEND MY STAY SEVERAL MONTHS BEFORE MY ACTUAL ARRIVAL. THIS HOTEL WAS DIFFICULT TO FIND AND THEN FIGURE HOUT HOW TO GET TO IT.

THE BATHROOM WAS WONDERFUL!

• Reviewed: 30 August 2018

Great Hotel in excellent location with very friendly and helpful staff.

Everything was great and the staff were excellent ( Very friendly & helpful staff). Besides, amazing location, large rooms and good atmosphere. Sincere thanks and appreciation to the Hotel Staff for their warm welcome to guests.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2018

Great location in Glasgow's West End.
    • Basic Triple Room

The room in the basement was a bit noisy as it was below the entrance and reception area. One of the reception staff was also hard to engage with a smile or a hello when we came in and out of the building.

A member of staff called me in advance to check my daughter's dietary requirements. They made an effort to buy in some soya milk for her vegan diet. I think he was called Daniel? We really appreciated the attention to detail. The place is kept clean.

Basic hotel in excellent location for West End
    • Basic Double Room

* No free parking - we were lucky to get a space * Ensuite was too small to use comfortably * No air conditioning * Arrived late after a long day and asked the night porter if we could have a drink before going to bed (as residents of a hotel, this is usually an acceptable request). Unfortunately the answer was no. Night porter was very friendly though.

* Excellent location for Glasgow’s West End * Welcoming staff who were happy to spend time explaining great places to visit * Appeared to be clean * Good value for money

Cozy and clean hotel in lovely area just out of the city centre

The size of the room is absolutely fine for solo travellers or a couple but if you’re travelling with a family it might be a bit small.

Location in West End is perfect for botanical gardens, university, and bars and food in the student area surrounding the hotel. Also just 10 minutes by subway or a nice 40 minute walk to the city centre. Very clean hotel too!

Generally good, but very thin walls

Very thin walls, we could hear conversation and toilet usage from the next door room. And their snoring all night, unfortunately. They didn’t seem particularly noisy people, it’s just that the walls were very thin.

Lovely helpful staff, comfortable beds, great location.

• Reviewed: 11 August 2018

The hotel failed to inform customers that the European...
    • Quadruple Room

The hotel failed to inform customers that the European championships were taking part on that day... The road where the hotel was situated was inaccessible from the morning until 6pm... We had difficulty driving in from another direction as Glasgow was grid locked.. Once arriving at the hotel around 6pm the room we were given was next door to the dining room on the ground floor and next to the reception desk, hearing all the comings and goings throughout the night... The view from the window of our hotel room was staring at a Gloomy brick wall 😞 Not ideal for a family with 2 young children. The bathroom in our room had no real ventilation working. Breakfast was excellent. But I would never stay again.. 1 night was more than enough.. 😞

Brilliant location close to wonderful places to eat see...
    • Quadruple Room

More a B&B than a hotel mattresses were very cheap & uncomfortable. Staff were very noisy in the evening which we did mention ...we didn’t complain about the mattresses so maybe they may have done something about them given the chance...great breakfast

Brilliant location close to wonderful places to eat see & visit & great transport links

• Reviewed: 4 August 2018

Good value for money
    • Basic Double Room

We do not recommend the breakfast otherwise it is really a nice place.

The staff is very helpful and extremely professional. The room very spacious, quiet and nicely decorated. Comfortable bed! The location is very convenient: not far away from public transport or restaurants and for us it was really walking distance to many attractions.

Superb value in the West End

For the money? Nothing!

Staff very welcoming and helpful and excellent breakfast for only £5! Excellent location for West End attractions, bars and restaurants.

Clean, comfortable and excellent value for money.
    • Basic Double Room

There was nothing to fault with this hotel. We stayed in a double room on a Sunday night and the cost was minimal.

The location was close to bars and restaurants. Hotel overall was spotless. Rooms and breakfast area was cleaned to a very high standard. Staff were helpful and very friendly. Fantastic choice at breakfast and food was very freshly cooked. Definitely stay there again.

Nice place
    • Basic Double Room

Our window was towards a large street, which was quite noisy.

For the price, best option. The neighborhood is nice, many cafés and restaurants. Short bus/metro ride to the city center.

• Reviewed: 27 July 2018

Beautiful hotel with a Scottish feel.
    • Quadruple Room

The location was difficult to find. Parking was difficult to find.

Beautiful hotel with a Scottish feel. Staff was very accommodating. The hotel was beautiful and quiet.

Hot mess up
    • Basic Double Room

Booking.com passed along the incorrect booking, so the incorrect room was booked. No air conditioner. The room was hotter than Satan’s jock strap. Had to cut the stay short. Floor was more comfortable than bed.

Quiet well-located hotel!

- fresh newly renovated bathroom - pretty room with plaid accents - window overlooks a quiet tree-lined street - helpful courteous staff - close to the west end and Glasgow centre

Perfect west end location, near Botanics, great shops, bars and restaurants within a five minute wsl
    • Basic Double Room

We liked everything, and could find no fault anywhere.

We had arranged to leave our luggage at the hotel, ahead of our rooms being ready, so arrived as others were checking out. The extremely kind and friendly gentleman on reception showed us into the dining room where tea, coffee, orange juice and fresh fruits were prepared for us. Probably the best welcome any of us had ever been given. Very impressive. The smart decor and styling of the hotel, and the excellent location.

A very clean, comfortable and convenient hotel

Nothing, it was ideal.

I had booked a single room, knew it was small so had low expectations. I was pleased to find it so comfortable it was perfect for my overnight stay.

If it's just a pleasant place to return to at the end of the day, bathe and sleep, this would be it.

The fact that there weren't any lifts so we had to always climb stairs. There are no amenities whatsoever. There is just one standard English breakfast. Alternatives like pancakes would be good.

The room and bathroom were of good size. Cleaning services were prompt. The lady receptionist and ladies serving breakfast were very pleasant and made it a point to remember our individual preferences. As I was travelling elsewhere for 5 days, the staff were flexible enough to move the 5 days of breakfast vouchers to a second room I was taking upon my return.

Enjoyed stay, was really not in hotel long.
    • Basic Double Room

Staff at breakfast-one lady rude and grumpy. English poor. My sister room was small and she felt squashed in it. Plus her window view was bad.

Bed comfy Looked nice Breakfast good

Well worth a visit

There are a number of stairs in the property which could pose a problem for some guests. Just ask when booking for ground floor room. I didn't see a lift.

Very comfy and clean in a top spot in Glasgow. My first visit to Glasgow and the West End is a very vibrant part of town. Close to Botanic Garden and set back from main road. Also well worth finding Italian Trattoria 'Little Italy' less thn 10 mins from the property.

Only a one-night stay (to attend a funeral) but we were very...

Only a one-night stay (to attend a funeral) but we were very impressed by friendly welcome we received. The room was bright, airy and comfortable. The breakfast was excellent.

Disappointing.

It was not easy to find the hotel, better signage might help. When we finally did find it there seemed to be alot of confusion about our reservation which was frustrating. The front desk person blamed Booking.com. Then, when we received our room keys we found out that one was in the basement and one was up on the 2nd floor, we had 2 rooms reserved and had requested to be near each other. Also, there is no elevator and no one offered to assist with getting our luggage up or down the stairs. Our room was dated and not as nice as it looked in pictures. Disappointing.

Liked the location and would stay there again

The room was small, especially the area around the bed. There was no parking, except with luck on the street

The staff were very helpful and welcoming. The breakfast was great. The room was quiet and the bed was comfortable.

Good-value hotel in a convenient location, I asked for and...

Good-value hotel in a convenient location, I asked for and got a quiet room which I was very happy about. Breakfast was plenty and tasty. Will stay there again, recommended!

Nice hotel in the West End of Glasgow.
    • Basic Double Room

No eating place for evening meal. No tea or coffee facilities.

Room was fine, good comfy bed, with loads of pillows. Great sleep, wi-if was good. Toilet and shower nice and clean.

Good value hotel with helpful staff in lively area.

Nothing really-good value all round.

Inasmuch as this was a budget hotel, so the facilities weren't luxurious, this was excellent value for money. My single room was small but characterful, had everything I needed, and was spotlessly clean and well serviced. The lobby staff were helpful-there is no lift/elevator in the property but my heavy case was carried upstairs for which I was very grateful! I paid just £5 extra for breakfast, where the service was quick and friendly. Good value and plenty on offer. Good location for the West end and subway stations not too far away.

Reasonable value small hotel in Glasgow's West End

Some staff might have been a bit friendlier. The contrast to the family run B&Bs I'd stayed at in Stranraer in the days before was noticeable. And paying for all 3 nights in advance (on arrival) seems slightly dubious.

Comfortable small room, and reasonable value (note 2 miles from City Centre but on major bus route). Breakfast for £5 extra worthwhile

Just OK
    • Basic Double Room

The basement room wasn’t fantastic. The furnishings are a lot older than they appear in the photos. The breakfast was just OK, but I wouldn’t pay for it again.

This was not really what I expected from the other reviews. We were given a basement room which wasnt expected and was initially concerning. After a long day travelling, to arrive later into Glasgow to a basement room, wasnt a great first impression. We were right under the breakfast room and the front entrance stairs so it felt like we were being ushered into a boiler room. However, the room itself was OK, with a bit of a sitting area and then the bedroom. The breakfast was just OK, and we had to pay extra for it, so I wouldnt say it was super worth it. Overall, it was OK for what we needed, a quick stop over. I think it was a bit pricey for what we got, so I would find somewhere else next time.

Perfect hotel for a short visit to Glasgow

Nothing really

The location is perfect for Glasgow's West End. Staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Breakfast was fantastic value for money and rooms were spotless.

Cheap & cheerful, friendly, attentive staff.

Cheap & cheerful, friendly, attentive staff. Great location for the Westend, Uni and Museum but nothing is far in Glasgow. Definetely go there again!

We loved our stay and felt very much at home.
    • Basic Double Room

We have no complaints whatsoever.

From the moment we arrived to the moment we departed, the staff did everything possible to may our stay a happy one. The room was clean, comfortable and well equipped. Breakfast was nicely cooked, quickly delivered and great value. The manager and all reception staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful.

Best hotel for visiting Glasgow University
    • Basic Double Room

Ease of access to Glasgow University is the best feature of this hotel. It’s within mere minutes. Bedroom was kitted out in tartan. I asked for a quiet room and it was that. Staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. Hotel is quiet, clean and so very reasonably priced. Staff gave great directions and guidance on where to visit as a tourist to Glasgow, where to dine and also where to shop. Breakfast for me was fruit and yogurt but others dining had a “full Scottish” which is a full “Irish/English” depending on where you have breakfast!! Rooms serviced daily, great WiFi for working. Would definitely recommend as economical accommodation - hotel also arranged taxi on my departure. Top marks for hospitality.

It’s great. I will definitely stay here again if I need to go to UoG again.

The soundproof of room is not very good... I was waked up by the bathing sound of next room guest.

The room is really tidy and spotless!! Also the room is very spacious for a single room.

Lovely and clean
    • Basic Double Room

Because I was on the ground floor I was next to the kitchen and it was so noisy I only had about 3-4 hours sleep each night. The mattress was very hard and not very comfortable as was the pillows.

It was a beautiful old Victorian house set in the perfect location for the wedding we were attending. All the staff were amazing. And my room was huge which was perfect for us girls getting ready in. The staff couldn't of been any more helpful they were great and the hotel was very clean.

Good but let down by an awful staff member

The night time staff member who called the police twice for my friends coming in to pick up their backs after us asking politely and explaining they were just getting their bags and leaving

Everything about the hotel itself was fine

Great place for a travelling salesman like me. Would stay again

The bed was too soft and squishy for my taste I guess I'm used to Jury's Inns and the like. The local area is quite Bohemian and trendy for an old bloke like me where I wanted a quiet restaurant I got noisy student bars. Not really a big issue I suppose but I just prefer quiet places.

Excellent breakfast, friendly helpful staff. Pretty good location

Good location, furniture needs updating!

Furnishings in the room were cheap (laminate), the television did not work at all (no signal), the shower/hot water was barely warm! They were having some issues with the electricity, so that could be the reason for the issues I had during my one night stay! I would have rated lower if this was not the case, so it is worth the stay if things are working properly.

Location is great. Some staff were friendly, the bed was big and confortable.

Comfy bed and lovely staff.
    • Basic Double Room

You could hear the water tank when using toilet and shower. Bit annoying but fine if you were awake.

Comfy bed and lovely staff. Great location for west end.

Staff were welcoming and friendly.

Three beds squashed into a small room - just enough room to squeeze through the bathroom door. Price a bit high - did not include breakfast.

Staff were welcoming and friendly. The room was spotlessly clean. The location was accessible to all parts of the city but particularly the university.

This was ideally situated, 10 mins walk from Kelvingrove Park, museums, shops, cafes galore.

I only stayed overnight and didn't take the option of breakfast and so there wasn't anything I could fault apart from the fact that my room overlooked the busy Great Western Road and so could be noisy but I knew where the place was and so can't grumble.

The room was very clean and comfortable. Loved the bright tartan touches which brightened up the whole room.

Great B&B in a great location 5*

Clean and really good facilities. It was also in a great location, right near good shops and restaurants. The staff were really helpful and pleasant. We will definitely stay here again when we next go to Glasgow.

Convenient, reasonably priced stay in the West End.
    • Basic Double Room

Room was a little on the cool side (though an effort had been made with additional heaters). Mattresses were saggy and need replacement, making for a less comfortable night than I had hoped.

Location was excellent for a course at the University. Staff were friendly and helpful.

Perfect location, friendly staff and clean rooms
    • Basic Double Room

The bed was a little small and not quite as comfortable as we had hoped. I should have asked for the softer pillows but that was my fault.

Very clean, lovely big shower. Staff were very nice and breakfast was great.

Short but very satisfactory

Only problem I had was the firm nature of the bed and a cover that was too short!

Excellent position of hotel to function I was attending; good reception; good breakfast service; clean room, if bed a bit uncomfortable; on-street parking, but parking ticket available at reduced rate to open-street cost.

Great location although maybe a bit tricky to find if you...

Room was a bit tired and small for 4 people

Great location although maybe a bit tricky to find if you don’t know the area. Staff were friendly and helpful, especially with the low-rate rate parking card. Great breakfast choice

Amazing staff

The service by all staff was outstanding. Everyone went the extra mile. Breakfast was generous and worth what you pay. Room was very clean, comfortable and was perfect for one person. I will be staying again.

Staff always very helpful and accommodating rooms nice and warm always in the winter months.

Could do with an earlier breakfast even a cold one. Every time I've stayed I always have to leave before 0630 am so it would be nice to at least know the offer was there if required.

Lovely quiet location in a nice part of Glasgow close to public transport.
    • Basic Double Room

I felt the cooked breakfast was cooked in a bit too much oil. Some items were rather soggy, and I left the sausage as it seemed a bit underdone. Plenty of other cold foods were available though.

Quiet location off the main road in a smart part of Glasgow good for visiting university museum and art gallery. Good overhead light unlike many hotel rooms. Cosy bathroom with a big heated towel rail. Very good price.

Great value for money, clean and in a great location for...
    • Basic Double Room

Great value for money, clean and in a great location for Glasgow’s West End. Even let my partner check in early before I arrived in the city! Very accommodating.

Amazing staff, location, cleanliness, size and generally great in every way!!

Me and my girlfriend stayed here for it's great location and fantastic price. We did not expect it to be such good value for money in a prime location, a ten minute was from Ashton Lane. Every staff member we spoke with was more than pleasant and happy to help, rooms were a great size, modern decor and had everything you could want. Will definitely be staying here again in the future and am sure we will have just as good an experience, could not pick a single fault!

Good hotel in west end

Take earplugs - we heard other guests upstairs getting up at various times in the morning.

Big bed, very clean rooms and hotel. Breakfast was good & service friendly. Friendly and helpful staff overall.

Well run, quiet, clean hotel in strong location.

There was no lamp directly over the desk by the window. I didn't want the main ceiling light on and the only other light source was fixed over the bed. So I had to use a torch to read while sitting by the desk and the window (in January it is dark a lot of the time).

The hotel was quiet with almost no noise intruding into my room. It was great to be overlooking the Great Western Road near the Botanics and have a vivid sense of being in Glasgow. I could walk out to Byres Road in a couple of minutes.

Satisfied . Will book again.
    • Basic Double Room

Very helping staff and cleanliness. Large size double room and very comfortable. Close to many eating places. Excellent location and connection to city centre. The staff is really very good. Much appreciated. The only noticeable thing was the door of the toilet which was sliding and made noises when closed. Shower was excellent. They should fix it.

Clean, comfortable reasonably priced stay with enjoyable breakfast. Would stay again.
    • Basic Triple Room

Nothing ..the area was a bit messy around the back of the hotel due to all the excess Christmas rubbish but there’s not much can be done about that.

Stayed Thursday 4th, arrived evening. Your receptionist was v pleasant. Enjoyed breakfast. Hotel room was quiet (I requested a quiet room) Lovely and clean. V nice 3* . Would stay again.

Friendly and considerate staff, great value room and first class breakfast
    • Basic Double Room

Noise from reception could be heard through bedroom door early morning in ground floor room.

Dining room modern, new and clean. Bedroom quiet and well sound proofed from traffic and other outside noise due to rear aspect. Reception staff very welcoming.

Wouldn't return unless issues with beds sorted
    • Basic Double Room

The bed , and pillows are awful brick hard such a shame. And the breakfast well presented and again wonderful staff , but sadly poor produce.

Staff were so good couldn't do enough for you and hotel is clean and well Located

Location, room, value for money, parking, all very good

We had a lovely room with two large windows overlooking Great Western Road. the proprietor was his usual generous self with grapes and chocolates on departure. Good breakfast included.

The hotel is in a good location for the Hillhead/Westend...
    • Basic Double Room

The room was a little chilly even though there was a portable heater.

The hotel is in a good location for the Hillhead/Westend area of Glasgow and there are plenty of pubs and restaurants nearby. The room was well furnished and we loved the huge windows! The stairway was beautiful and they have done a great job at keeping the old features of the building but making it modern too.

Lovely comfortable, clean and fresh decor with excellent hospitality and a hearty breakfast.

Really can't think of anything!

The staff were extremely pleasant and helpful. We will certainly be back any time we are going to the west end of Glasgow. A box of chocolates and a box of grapes from the proprietor for Xmas, nice touch.

Perfect
    • Basic Double Room

Excellent welcome and change of room to a ground floor one at no expense. Great breakfast,just too much. Parking so much easier now with hotel parking vouchers. Will be using again

This is my third stay at this hotel and will continue to book when visiting Glasgow.

Cannot find fault with anything.

Breakfast excellent choice and generous portions.this hotel is so handy for buses into the city centre. There is a bus stop a few minutes from the hotel. Then minutes walk down Bytes Road and there is an underground service into the city as well. Byres Road has wide selection of bars and restaurants. Italian receptionist very helpful and efficient.

I would definitely stay here again and perfect location for the West End.

The parking was on the street outside and when we arrived no parking spaces were available. Fortunately we did get a spot not far away and the hotel provided parking vouchers

The hotel was immaculate in its decor and cleanliness. The receptionist, Marta, was wonderful and because we had problems parking she offered us complimentary breakfast. Now that's great customer service. She was delightful.

Great!

It could be great to give more information about hotel's location. It took me some time to find it.

Awesome. The hotel is pretty scottish. Staff are friendly.

I'd stay there again.

The bed was a bit old and the springs were noisy everytime I turned over.

Fab location, lovely staff, clean and quiet room. Nice place to stay. I'd stay there again.

Argyll western Hotel
    • Basic Double Room

No on site bar area however we stayed there as close to venue for a gig we were attending.

Staff very welcoming & friendly. Received complimentary chocolates & drinks for our room. Good location & short taxi ride from city centre. Hotel is lovely period property , high ceilings etc. Bed very comfy & en suite facilities are obviously new & immaculate. Good value budget hotel & would definitely return.

RUN AWAY!
    • Basic Double Room

A nightmare!!!! The man on the front desk was nice and tried o help us beacuse the hotel has given our room to other people !!!! We got a terrible room underground. It smelled! itwas terrible. Fortunately we got a little refund. It was not enough but it was too late for us to find another hotel. So please run away!!!!

Only the guy on the front dessk who tried to call his manager.

fantastic place will use again
    • Basic Double Room

parking is a nightmare very hard to get a space near hotel and I had to go round in circles a few times to get a space even then it was a fair bit along from hotel , as its an old building with lots of character the stairs could be a bit of a challenge for some people I was lucky to be on the first floor

lovely spacious room with loads of storage space and very clean with a good supply of tea and coffee ,staff were friendly and extremely helpful I didn't stay for breakfast but it looked great and good value for the price ,good location for the west end easy links to Glasgow would most definitely return