Reviews of Low Wood Bay 4 stars

Ambleside Road,, Windermere, LA23 1LP, United Kingdom

#9 of 15 hotels in Windermere

• Willow Double or Twin Room

Beautiful hotel with stunning views of Lake Windermere and in a prime position for exploring the Lakes. The car park had plenty of spaces and was secure round the back of the hotel. I stayed at this hotel this week for just one night to celebrate my husbands birthday. There’s a lot if building work going on adding extra accommodation that’s not directly attached to the hotel so it didn’t bother us. The room was clean and well stocked with toiletries and drink facilities and the staff had added a little extra touch by leaving my husband chocolates and a balloon for his birthday. We had our evening meal in one of the restaurants in the hotel, the Blue Smoke on the Bay, the food was fantastic and reasonably priced, I would definitely recommend it. We didn’t get time to use the spa or gym but we did have a look round them and they looked superb. Breakfast was excellent, with a good variety of hot and cold food including specials that could also be ordered like eggs benedict. The staff were all very friendly and took the time to stop and talk to us. We will definitely be returning here for a longer stay next time.

• Hazel Double or Twin Room

Blue smoke on the bay... few mistakes with food, had higher expectations or the price of the food. Scaffolding and ladders obstructed our view of the lake from our bedroom window. Dissapointing as it is a beautiful place. The hotel took 10% off our bill due to this. Felt slightly uncomfortable at times as there were clearly lots of 'money minded' people around.

I loved breakfast with a view of the lake. The bed was very comfortable. We loved spending time in the Spa.

Absolutely nothing.

The room was gorgeous - homely and unique. The bed was so comfortable and there were lots of lovely extra touches e.g. toiletries in a little bag to take away, freshly ground coffee, fresh Grasmere gingerbread etc. I really liked the hotel's eco friendly touches. The pool and spa area was lovely. The location was brilliant. However what made this hotel was the staff - from the moment we checked in at reception to the moment we drove out of the carpark, they went out of their way to be friendly and to help.

• Hazel Double or Twin Room

We didn't enjoy the fact our room wasn't what we booked, we had to change rooms three times and as much as the last room was beautiful it didn't have the bath with a view. Because it was for my partners birthday I was left a little disappointed as I paid a little more than I would have just for the bath with a view experience.

We enjoyed the grounds, most of the rooms didn't make use of the amazing views the hotel had to offer, but apart from that the staff where smart and polite and the hotel was clean and beautiful.

• Willow Double or Twin Room

As stated previous location although this can't be helped and you would have to be picky about it.

Myself and my partner both enjoyed our experience here, staff could not do enough hotel facilities excellent. If I really had to be picky and I mean really picky it would be location.... A car is a must to get about from this hotel. Outherwise great plc to stay would highly recommend.

• Willow Double or Twin Room

Our room was very comfortable. We dined at both restaurants which were both excellent. Breakfast was included and was plentiful and delicious. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Restaurants and lounge all have a view of the water. Very relaxing in the lounge for an afternoon vino.

• Hazel Double or Twin Room

Still building works continue as on previous visit but well organised so that they don't intrude unlike the delivery trucks servicing the hotel which do cause a bit of disturbance early in the morning as they unload near to the bedrooms. Usually service at breakfast was good but on one occasion we were told that on this day we would be served full breakfast at the table 'freshly made' instead of self-service because the hotel was too quiet. After 45 minutes and no service there was some sort of altercation and one of the staff stormed out of the restaurant and then a chef. Had to go to reception to ask for duty manager to sort things out and the manager did turn up. The restaurant reverted to self-service which is what we were accustomed to. However the food looked like it had been sitting for a whle, not freshly made and made us think we could have served ourselves as usual without waiting. I suspect more a staff shortage than a guest shortage and a bit annoying as I was stilll paying for the usual service not for a reduced service. The manager arranged for kitchen staff to deliver some 'fresh' scrambled eggs which sounded good but the plate arrived with eggs just as dried and green as the others . This was the only poor service in a very relaxing week and on all the other days the breakfast was very good. Very odd breakfast service on this one occassion however the remaining waiting staff attending guests did a sterling job, in the face of adversity and ineffective management, so full marks to them.

Great leisure facilites including gym, swimming pool and also watersports across the road. Fantastic location just yards from Windermere albeit across a sometimes busy road. Choice of restaurants now, and new smoothie and coffee bar in the spa serves delicious drinks. Great service from nearly all the staff except on one ooccasion at breakfast.

• Willow Double or Twin Room

Complained Twice about the shower being not much more than a trickle. Had upgraded at a cost of £80 to this room no reduction offered receptionist could not have cared less

The room had a nice view of the lake Bed was comfortable

Nothing I didn’t like.

Everything... The Spa was great, the food was amazing, I especially liked the food at the blue smoke restaurant. I spent a lot of time in the snug, treatments were very relaxing, that relaxing that I went back for more. The staff around the whole resort were very friendly and helpful, they paid attention to every detail. I will definitely go back when the new spa opens.

• Willow Double or Twin Room

I asked for vegetarian sausage and bacon breakfast which was cooked to order in kitchen- I asked staff if my eggs could be placed on it but was told I had to go to collect eggs from buffet , consequently my whole breakfast was cold I’m afraid, and other members of our party said their traditional breakfast buffet was not hot enough. It was mentioned to staff when plates were cleared and a new breakfast was offered but it was too late then. The next day I chose the advocado breakfast which was lovely.

Beds very comfortable, lovely ambience in hotel, stunning views, smashed advocado and poached eggs breakfast.

• Willow Double or Twin Room

Can't think of anything we did not like.

The location is amazing, step out of hotel and you looking at / walking round the lake. The staff could not be more helpful / friendly. It was my birthday when we was at the hotel, they put a card, balloon and some complimentary chocolates in the room which was a lovely surprise. It cost more than i normally paid for a hotel but found it was well worth the money.

• Willow Double or Twin Room

I had called the hotel days before our arrival to make sure we did not get a room by the construction site, as they were remodeling parts of the hotel. I was assured no rooms were near the site as all room were overlooking the front of the hotel... not true! Upon checking in, we of course get the most depressed room with the view of - yes the construction site.... very annoyed at this point.. having to back down to the reception and request a new room. The staff was amazing though. They got us an upgrade with a view of the lake and triple checked we were happy with our new room offer. Which we were. So it all ended well. Would definitely stay there again! If we got the same room that is.

The breakfast buffet! This was absolutely amazing. Hands down the best breakfast we have ever had at an hotel. They had everything. Including Avocado on toast- made to order! The location is great, right on the lake! But you will need a car to get around. Unless you are a good cyclist. The Lake District is perfect for biking and hiking.

• Willow Double or Twin Room

The breakfast was outstanding and the staff couldnt do enough for us. Dinner in the hotel wasnt cheap but it was very very good. We also brought our boat and got free mooring and parking for the two days. A good saving for us.

• Willow Double or Twin Room

In the room there is a green light that is too bright something to do with the security reception said . It needs dimming it does keep you awake at night.

We liked everything about the hotel.We only have one negative point.

• Hazel Double or Twin Room

We were disappointed that towels were not changed despite indicating that we wanted fresh towels by leaving them in the shower cubicle. Also the toiletries were not replenished.

Friendly and polite staff. it is the first time we have been since the refurbishment and we were pleased that the hotel has managed to retain its welcoming atmosphere.

• Willow Double or Twin Room

Building work/scaffolding, no notification of this before hand. Main Road in between hotel and lake, photos do not gice that impression.

Resteraunts, bar and spa excellent, very nice areas to relax in through out the hotel.

• Hazel Double or Twin Room

We stayed at the hotel for a wedding. We certainly would recommend a visit, friendly staff, wonderful breakfast fabulous facilities. Unfortunately we never got to utilise the spa. Our room was beautiful and overlooked the lake, truely stunning!

• Willow Double or Twin Room

Shame the renovations where still going on but we understand that to improve the experience they will be worth the disruption

Very comfortable bed, nice touch with local gingerbread in the room and good selection of teas and coffees

• Willow Double or Twin Room

The resort is going through major renovation and expansion so was confused when you go through car park to check in but can’t wait to see it all completed will be an amazing place.

Great getaway. The rooms were cosy and clean. Really impressed with the variety at breakfast offering buffet style but also get to order some special dishes from the kitchen. Reception staff checked me in straight away.

• Willow Double or Twin Room

The room was dusty. View from the window was of the bins and the kitchen. Window was above a sloping roof which was full of weeds and stagnant water. Didn't think that the room was worth £140 plus £20 for the dog plus another £20 for breakfast

The staff were very helpful. The restaurant was excellent as was the breakfast. Situated close to the lake with beautiful views from the front

• Willow Double or Twin Room

Nothing to complain about.

Great place to stay :) right on top of the lake and only 1 mile from the town. Really enjoyed my stay here. The food was amazing too.

Nothing everything was fine

We had a lovely day staff where great and hotel was so clean very good we love the terrace with the fire and blankets very cosy

• Willow Double or Twin Room

The duck feather pillows were a bit too sinky-into. However , I didnt try out the spare ones which could have been alright.

The mattress was very comfy and loved the view and bathroom also great.

• Willow Double or Twin Room

My only criticism would be that it would have been lovely to see Cumbrian local foods and drinks on offer as i think people travelling to the area would expect that. The meat/ water was from southern England, I am sure the hotel could find some wonderful local suppliers to make this possible

I was visiting with a friend and had mentioned to the hotel that it was her 50th birthday. They kindly upgraded us to a better room, placed a card, helium balloon and chocolates in the room (at no cost to myself) and when we ate in the restaurant they decorated the table and left another card for the restaurant staff . A lovely overnight treat for a fab friend .

• Willow Double or Twin Room

Service was slow and haphazard in the restaurants

Overall the hotel is brilliant. Facilities are great, the room was brilliant, and the restaurants are great.

• Willow Double or Twin Room

Everything was good..... only the deluge of rain put a dampener on things.... but hey, it’s early April in the Lakes!

Staff were courteous and very accommodating to our needs. My dog was treated like royalty. The food was excellent. The rooms were very comfortable, and despite being pet friendly, there was no evidence of previous pets being in the room. There are building works ongoing, with a hotel extension being constructed. However, this was no inconvenience, and we were not disturbed at all.

• Hazel Double or Twin Room

Cleanliness room 511 bathroom painting was not cleaned.. conditioner and shampoo was half bottle that means someone used before us.. kitchen is not organised..food came out 1:30 hr late from the kitchen restaurant manager knows this ..

• Hazel Double or Twin Room

Our room was very small. As there was a wedding party they took over the lounge area the night before and were very noisy. Also as it’s a dog friendly hotel there should be an area separate for dogs to stay.

The facilities were very good and staff very friendly.

• Willow Double or Twin Room

That were not notified of building works going on. Noisy workmen first thing in a morning

The staff go out of their way to meet your needs very helpful. Hotel is in beautiful surroundings

• Willow Double or Twin Room

Breakfast was cold. Room very cold and noisy. Also when first arrived there was stains in both sink and bath which we just cleaned. But wouldnt expect. Other than that good hotel and really modern will be fantastic once the new build is complete.

Great facilities and staff were friendly

• Hazel Double or Twin Room

Amazing hotel. Recently refurbished to a very high standard. My room was fantastic, spacious with a huge comfy bed and large bathroom. Attended a business dinner and the food was outstanding given over 200 were being served. The staff were exceptional, so friendly and attentive, the best I’ve experienced for a long time, so a huge well done to them all. The breakfast was also superb with lots of choice and great local produce. I can happily recommend and will be back again.

• Willow Double or Twin Room

Thin walls we were kept awake by next room arguing; bathrooms are quite small and outdated also

Bed was very very comfortable and I have a bad back and I felt fantastic in the morning

• Willow Double or Twin Room

Restaurant was quite expensive and an acquired taste

Amazing scenes, located right next to Lake Windermere! Room was very clean, it was modern and all the amenities and facilities needed. Nice little touches like the toiletries, biscuits and flowers.

No criticisms

V comfortable bedroom. Excellent breakfast.There was a mix up with my booking dates but I was given a complementary room upgrade.The staff were excellent.

• Hazel Double or Twin Room

During the night there was a knocking sound which was the building settling, this was a but annoying at 3:30am.

The bed was really comfortable, and the muffins at breakfast were really good!

• Willow Double or Twin Room

The lake view room was stunning, with a large bathtub perfect for couples! The spa facilities were wonderful and breakfast was incredible every morning!

• Willow Double or Twin Room

It will be better once the builders have finished the huge £19m upgrade which I believe is May / June 2018? Having said that, the site is clean and tidy and not noisy and it did not detract from our stay.

Great facilities. Good food. Well prepared. Well presented. Superb location. Excellent spa and pool. Very attentive and friendly staff

• Willow Double or Twin Room

Shower in room could have been better but not a disaster

A very pleasant comfortable stay, Blue Smoke restaurant a must ! Spa facilities are great ! Staff very helpful

• Willow Double or Twin Room

The hotel is a building site, JCB,dumper trucks, cement and tarmac lorries. Entrance via wooden steps, three fleet of steps, great for disabled husband, Bedroom on second floor, lift not working , so struggle up,and down two flights of steps. Saw husband decsending for breakfast and offered ground floor room. Room 3 Lovely lake view, old window let in constant draught and rattled with every vechile on road outside it was so cold we wore dressing gowns in bed! This hotel is only for very fit active guests and should be advertised as such, we expected at looking at hotel website my husband would be able to cope easily. Also considering the building works rates should be much reduced. Never ever visit again.

The location was good. Beds were very comfortable Staff kind difficult understanding some with strong accents Loved Bircher fruit breakfast Room 3 has excellent wet room

• Hazel Double or Twin Room

The property is currently undergoing extensive, and I mean extensive (adding an extra 100+ rooms) and it's basically a building site. This is not mentioned (ie the building work) on their website, or prior or after the booking. This is not reasonable, considering how much they are charging for the rooms.

Location is lovely. The staff are really friendly and helpful.

• Willow Double or Twin Room

We stayed just before NYE and the food wasn't the best but I believe this was just the time of year.

The room had recently been refurbished - one of the best standard rooms I have stayed in, much more like delux.

• Willow Double or Twin Room

Nothing really, just that there was building work going on for the new spa so the entrance was moved but this can’t be helped.

The staff were so friendly which makes all the difference. The Blue Smoke on the Bay was outstanding! The setting was beautiful.

• Hazel Double or Twin Room

Lots of stairs but staff very willing to help with luggage.

Undergoing a big refurb, new facilities are very good. Spa has been very well updated, still a way to go but what's done is great. Blue smoke restaurant and Norman's both really tastefully done.

• Lime Double or Twin Room with Lake View

The bedroom was a little on the small side and there was not much surface space in the bathroom to put wash bags etc.

The staff were extremely helpful, polite and attentive. The food in the Blue Smoke Restaurant was excellent. Perhaps two side dishes should have been included in the main course. The rooms were comfortable with some nice touches including a huge gingerbread biscuit! The view from the bedroom was spectacular.

• Willow Double or Twin Room

More heating in the bathroom and corridors

Professional and friendly staff. The focus on quality is evident as is the excellent staff/ customer relationship. Quality is exemplified by consistently high standards of service...prompt service with a smile.

• Willow Double or Twin Room

I bought the stay for a Christmas present for my Daughter and husband. They booked Dinner in the Restaurant and made full use of the facilities available which they said was excellent.They enjoyed their stay so much they are going to book again soon.

• Lime Double or Twin Room with Lake View

We had one or two tiny niggles - in the afternoon we found the service in the lounge area to be a little slow with only one person taking and fulfilling orders and a few other staff milling around not seeming to be doing an awful lot. It was a big of a shame that the main restaurant closed at 9pm as well as this prevented us from having dinner on-site.

The location of this hotel was right on the lakeside which meant excellent views from our room (not all rooms) though it was also situated on the road between Windermere and Ambleside which meant some traffic noise during the day. The room itself was superb - spacious, clean and stylish with many extra touches offered throughout. Breakfast was excellent with an enormous selection of fresh, high quality ingredients. Overall, a lovely place to stay, with the added bonus of the health centre facilities (which we did not use on this occasion)

• Willow Double or Twin Room

After reading the supplied literature in our hotel room regarding local hotels, inn’s, etc. that are associated with the Low Wood Bay we asked our reception to book a taxi to one of the recommended Inn’s. We travelled to the Wild Boar Inn where we were refused entry as the Wild Boar Inn were only serving residents, we were refused access to have a warm drink only (not food). We were made to stand in the rain in the car park of the Wild Boar Inn while we phoned and waited for a taxi to arrive. We informed the Wild Boar Inn that we were residents of the Low Wood Bay and we were told the fact that we were residents of their sister hotel ‘should’ have helped the situation but they were still not willing to allow my wife and I access, it was the 10th anniversary of our wedding at the Low Wood Bay. I would be amazed if the Wild Boar Inn are able to refuse entry as they did, I would be amazed if the Low Wood Bay we’re unaware of the Wild Boar Inn’s policy when they organised a taxi but I do know that I wasted significant time and money on taxi’s and felt that any party involved in this break were only interested in bleeding money.

• Willow Double or Twin Room

Building works .. although didn't really hear them .. the hoteland staff are still getting used to new systems ... you need a car to access Ambleside or windermere .. or a good 20 mins walk to ambleside but there are pavements

Friendly staff .. down to earth atmosphere and a great leisure complex .. basic double is good .. if you pay extra for Lake view you will look over the road with sound to go with it !

• Willow Double or Twin Room

Would have liked some simpler food at more reasonable prices. Most important change would be to update the music in the bar, and have more variety! over and over the same music!!

Inside the hotel was excellent - the facilities are great to have - swimming pool and gym very good. The food was good. There is a lot of building work on site but this did not get in the way of our enjoyment.

• Hazel Double or Twin Room

The view from our room over the air conditioning Very hard to relax in the spa with screaming children in there Lack of control over temperature Price

beautiful location Great food Friendly and helpful staff The little dog on the bed Jacuzzi bath

• Willow Double or Twin Room

Too many staff in the breakfast restaurant so kept coming over asking the same questions or trying to remove your plate when you are still eating. I ordered a champagne breakfast for a special treat, this never arrived so that spoilt the surprise. I ordered room service on the Saturday afternoon and asked for the try to be taken on 3 separate occasions as the hotel ask you not to leave them at the door...the try was still there when I checked out on Sunday. The Showers in the room was cold.

The location was in a great spot, beautiful views of the lake and the mountains. The SPA offered relaxing treatments at great value, the food in the new blue smoke restaurant was amazing and all was good value for money. Nice selection of fine wines. Although I did not travel with a dog the hotel was very accommodating to animals which was nice. (and they had their own places to eat).

• Willow Double or Twin Room

Beautiful, clean and stylish room. The staff were beyond friendly and helpful throughout our stay. Perfect and picturesque location. Breakfast was delicious- so much choice. I will be coming back!!

• Willow Double or Twin Room

There was significant building work taking place, we had a barking dog very close to our room and although the hotel was very close to the lake the road in front of the hotel was very busy and not easy to walk on

The staff were very friendly and helpful

• Willow Double or Twin Room

No spare iPhone charger plugs...essential these days for forgetful guests like us. 🙂Hotel having and impressive extension new health club reception area is very stylish. Building work is going on but we didn't find it intrusive.

Blue smoke restaurant was very nice, good atmosphere friendly staff and great food! Very nice touch on our table when the staff knew we were celebrating our wedding anniversay. All the staff were very helpful and friendly. Rooms was very comfortable and spa facilities new easily accessible. Great views of lake Windermere from the front of the hotel.

• Willow Double or Twin Room

It is quite a distance; and a fairly steep flight of steps, from the car park to hotel reception.

Excellent location on the shore of Lake Windermere set betwewn the towns of Ambleside, Wi dermere and Bowness.

• Willow Double or Twin Room

The standard of food in the restaurant was excellent.There was lots of choice for breakfast, again excellent standard for freshly cooked food,however, for the full english, the eggs would have been much better if freshly cooked.

• Hazel Double or Twin Room

We weren’t able to eat in the new restaurant, due to a problem with the grill. However they were more than accommodating for us in the other restaurant

The team throughout our stay were very attentive, they took pride in looking after their guests. The rooms were superb. The facilities are well maintained I would definitely be going back!

• Willow Double or Twin Room

was in willow room, booked through booking.com. Ok but quite small, only 1 easy chair looking out over building site. £200 per night, not really good value.

very comfortable hotel. big spacious lounge, nice dining room, top class food for breakfast and dinner. Good sized pool in leisure centre. Comfortable bed.

• Hazel Double or Twin Room

Food in the other side of the hotel (I guess it’s where breakfast is served) on the Sunday night as the main restaurant was closed. Menu was poor, plenty missing off of it. Fish was over cooked and the sauce looked radioactive. Felt so sick after it. Hotel were kind enough to take wine off of our bill because of this. That aside, could not fault the hotel and each member of staff lovely.

Pet friendly lovely staff especially the room cleaning. Very nice and lovely with our dog. Would love to stay again but will travel to Windermere more for evening meals.

• Hazel Double or Twin Room

Disappointed: enquired 4 weeks before my stay about a treatment in Hotel Spa. Got no response. Re- enquired weeks later & told no availability. Was offered discount on another day but Hotel is 3 hours drive from where we live! Tried straight after breakfast to book hotel restaurant for that evening & told it was fully booked all night - very disappointed :(

Likes: The bedroom and ensuite were spotlessly clean and very comfy bed. Staff were very friendly. Lovely views from Hotel.Great breakfast choices.

• Willow Double or Twin Room

The breakfast staff were inattentive and walked past repeatedly without clearing used dishes, even when we stacked them at the edge of the table. We also had to chase after someone to order from menu. Also the toast arrived first, long before we would have wanted any, so was wasted. Lovely food though. Dimming the lights in the Blue Smoke restaurant would improve the ambience. It was a bit 'daywear' and bright even late at night.

The bed was really comfy and the breakfast superb. The staff and the food at the Blue Smoke were excellent.

• Willow Double or Twin Room

We received a warm welcome from Michelle, who booked us into a suite for the evening. The room was spacious with elegant decor. We used the new spa facilities which were modern and clean. We topped off the evening with an unforgetable meal at their new restaurant, Blue Smoke.

• Willow Double or Twin Room

Didn't like getting woken up by the building work getting done, and had to keep the curtains constantly drawn because of workmen outside, so no lovely views and felt boxed in.

The bed was huge and very comfortable!

• Willow Double or Twin Room

There was building work being carried out in the grounds. We knew about it in advance and it didn't impact on our stay. However, we could not use the new restaurant as it was being used for promo purposes that evening.

Staff were very helpful and friendly. The rooms we stayed in were spacious, well furnished and the hotel had made a special effort to be different. For example. Instead of the normal tea and coffee facilities, there was a cafetaire and a good assortment of teas, together with bottled water. The bathroom was well stocked and there was a dressing gown for use. We had a good meal in the main restaurant. Superb breakfast with a wide variety that would suit anyone. Well behaved dogs made welcome.

• Willow Double or Twin Room

Not made aware of the extensive rebuilding works before booking/arrival - first room offered bore no resemblence whatsoever to the one shown on their internet site.

Good food in the restaurant

• Willow Double or Twin Room

Had a fabulous stay at Low Wood Bay. The staff were so accommodating! They showed us the room to ensure we were happy before assigning it to us. I even received a box of chocolates and a balloon for my birthday - something I just mentioned when we arrived. We ate dinner in the restaurant, the food was excellent

• Hazel Double or Twin Room

new refurbishment has taken away character of building, cheap unco ordinated decor and uncomfortable armchairs. extortionate nightly rate and had to pay an additional £90 for a room with a view of lake. Tiny bathroom - no bath . NOT WORTH £,325 PRICE TAG FOR 1 NIGHT

lakeside location

• Willow Double or Twin Room

We didn't like to come home haha!

The beds are very comfortable and also the food at the restaurant is very nice, great location to do activities, very pleasant staff always there to help.

• Willow Double or Twin Room

A warm welcome and fantastic place to stay! Our dog who came with us. She loved the basket, biscuits, dog bowl and towel...made to feel very welcome. Restaurant stunning and food delicious. We enjoyed the leisure facilities too

• Willow Double or Twin Room

That I had only one night there. A week would have been better.

All staff were very attentive. Nothing was too much effort for them. From the early arrival 9am to the coffee I needed in a hurry before the bus came. A was done with great attention to detail.

• Willow Double or Twin Room

Location! Location! Location! Beautiful location set on the lake, less than 10mins from Bowness. Recently renovated to a high stanfard. This almost feels like a home from home. The rooms are spacious, lobby and cafe cosy with large sofas, bar and a beautiful view and restaurant. Ample parking, although for disabled access, approach is best from the main road as opposed to the overflow rear car park. Staff are incredibly friendly and helpful, we were blown away by their unrelenting effort to make our anniversary/birthday weekend extra special, from the balloons and chocolates in our room, to the beautiful table with a voew for dinner. A hotel with a heart, we'll definitely be back!

• Hazel Double or Twin Room

Bathrooms haven't been refurbished. Shower pressure was very poor and the bathroom hadn't been cleaned well. Bathrooms are very dated and let the hotel down. When you are paying £200 I expect a shower that works well.

Location looking across at the lake is excellent. This is a very stylish hotel with refurbished bedrooms. The staff are excellent.

• Willow Double or Twin Room

Extensive building work in progress which made arrival a bit disappointing as large areas are boarded up. long staircase to negotiate to get into the hotel, awkward if you have luggage. Expect this will improve when building work complete.

The standard of the hotel was high, service and food in restaurant excellent, beautiful view over the lake. Our bedroom was spacious, comfy and luxurious with 6ft bed. Spa facilities good too. Staff v helpful and appeared to enjoy working here.

• Willow Double or Twin Room

Not enough complimentary Grasmere gingerbread ;) (We were going to raid the maid's trolley but chickened out!) The walk throught the building site to the pool could have been a little better signposted.

We slept in and missed the breakfast sitting. The reception staff immediately spoke to the kitchen and, although (understandably) there was no choice, provided us with hot drinks and a cooked breakfast. Complimentary Grasmere gingerbread was delicious and especially welcome as we were not visiting Grasmere!