Reviews of Low Wood Bay This rating is a reflection of how the property compares to the industry standard when it comes to price, facilities and services available. It's based on a self-evaluation by the property. Use this rating to help choose your stay!

Ambleside Road,, Windermere, LA23 1LP, United Kingdom

#9 of 15 hotels in Windermere

• Reviewed: July 15, 2018

World class 5 star cost for 2 star quality
    • Lime Double or Twin Room with Lake View

1. Reception staff unwelcoming and don't have simple niceties like asking how your stay was when leaving 2. Reception staff didn't get things done (e.g. when I asked for the large spider above the bed to be removed) I had to come back after dinner 4 hours later to ask another receptionist who came and took care of it himself 3. Room cleanliness poor - cobwebs around shower and around light pendant. Clear dust above architrave in bathroom that must have been there for months, the all expensive window overlooking the lake covered in bird droppings 4. Room safe didn't work and nothing done to fix this during my stay - chap came up couldn't fix it and that was that 5. Poor turndown service. There are more decorative pillows on the bed than any other hotel I have stayed at, all that was done was draw the curtains and leave some tea bags and then you have to spend 5 minutes moving all the pillows yourself at night.

1. Good location 2. Good parking 3. Breakfast staff pleasant 4. Lounge and coffee bar staff very nice

• Reviewed: July 12, 2018

Exceptional stay. A real gem when visiting the lakes.
    • Willow Double or Twin Room

There was nothing at all to complain about.

The staff were so friendly and attentive, nothing was too much trouble. The food in the blue wood bay was exceptional as was the breakfast. The location overlooking the lake was perfect and decor and facilities far exceeded our expectations. Fantastic place.

• Reviewed: July 12, 2018

Rooms were very small and completely different from the...
    • Willow Double or Twin Room

Rooms were very small and completely different from the picture. Was a loft room and very hot. No AC and can’t open windows as construction was going on outside. Staff was not very helpful.

• Reviewed: July 11, 2018

Excellent and definitely stay there again with no hesitation
    • Willow Double or Twin Room

Noise from renovation works but am sure the hotel will be amazing once completed. A big change for the better in regards to our previous stay and look forward to staying again in the future.

Lovely hotel with a beautiful view, secure car park, nice breakfast with a comfy room.

• Reviewed: July 10, 2018

Enjoyed every minute of my stay! My partner was made up with her night away!

Nothing , it was perfect

I enjoyed the spa and was shocked at how well me and my partner were treated and how they looked after my dog with the bed and dog bowls with treats in 😊

• Reviewed: July 2, 2018

Very disapointed after all the good review
    • Willow Double or Twin Room

No air con in room, only 1 small fan hidden in wardrobe, drinks and food well over priced, Have staded in better hotel for a lot less money.

Good size bed very good sleep

Great for Windermere stay
    • Willow Double or Twin Room

Rooms not air-conditioned, marked differences between ‘old’ and ‘new’ areas of the hotel. Note - Long-ish walk required along the road (or bus / car) to Ambleside (but we knew that already)

Fabulous location on the lake, very good meal in new ‘Smoke’ restaurant, very good breakfast, decent value, newly developed areas

• Reviewed: July 2, 2018

Absolutely brilliant Hotel and Staff.
    • Lime Double or Twin Room with Lake View

The look of the renovation works however this did not effect our overall stay or view of the hotel and we appreciate that this has to be done and could not be helped.

The hotel was well presented and is based on a lovely setting on the lake front, all staff at the property were extremely helpful and accommodating, the hotel is currently undergoing a refurbishment but that did not hinder our experience at the venue. We used the Spa and leisure facilities and again these had just been refurbished and were very modern and clean. It was our wedding anniversary and my wife's Birthday and the hotel put balloons in our room and also on our table at diner and went out of their way to ensure the day/evening went well. Could not recommend this hotel enough to people and will be going back again with our children at some point in the future.

Hotel fab.
    • Willow Double or Twin Room

Hotel fab...facilities fab... location fab! What let’s this place down (especially as its aiming for 5* status) is some of its staff members! The waiter on the first night I am presuming is new as knew nothing that I asked and his English was quite poor. On both mornings I asked for a cappuccino, this was greeted by a face of disgust from a Manager and then him saying that ‘I really shouldn’t have one of those’ 😳 I have never ever been told this in a 4* before?? Surely if you want that as your chosen drink you can have that?? I also heard the same man blatantly tell another person that the drink he wanted at the bar ‘isn’t served at that bar, it’s only at the other bar so he can’t have it!’..... I think some customer service skills need to be learnt if I’m honest! Reception staff fantastic! It was generally most of the other staff wandering around the hotel or restaurant that really need some training. Also, majority of them looked really untidy..... uniforms are very strange and in the 28 degree heat, most were sweating.. a lot!!! Maybe a lighter summer uniform?? And neatness?? Only my observations but the hotel is amazing and setting, and the work being done to it looks amazing, but to establish it as a real good 4/5* you’ve got to have the staff to match!x

• Reviewed: July 1, 2018

A work in progress...
    • Lime Double or Twin Room with Lake View

Rooms in the new part are pokey, no fridge (weird for this standard) and poor sound proofing so you could hear your neighbours in too much detail. The Windermere restaurant was like a modern day faulty towers, forgetting the water order, the starter taking an hour to arrive and quality being like a ready meal. I feel the staff just haven’t been trained properly as it’s lacking that professional edge needed if they want to live up to some of the other hotels surrounding them. Also don’t go in the week, still a lot of development, weekend is fine.

Rooms in in the old part have been v tastefully decorated and are a good size. Beautiful lake view. The new reception lounge area is v tastefully done as is the new restaurant. Some staff were absolutely amazing, so helpful...

• Reviewed: July 1, 2018

The recent upgrades have greatly improved the hotel and...
    • Willow Double or Twin Room

There is a very busy main road between the hotel front and the waterfront gardens and marina. Crossing very difficult at times.

The recent upgrades have greatly improved the hotel and spa/pool. Breakfast was excellent

• Reviewed: June 28, 2018

Outstanding property
    • Willow Double or Twin Room

Expensive , not a budget option but to be expected at a property of this quality

Outstanding location , professional staff who were very friendly and helpful, tremendous spa and pool attached , restaurant serving high quality meals.

• Reviewed: June 23, 2018

Beautiful hotel on Lake Windermere
    • Willow Double or Twin Room

Beautiful hotel with stunning views of Lake Windermere and in a prime position for exploring the Lakes. The car park had plenty of spaces and was secure round the back of the hotel. I stayed at this hotel this week for just one night to celebrate my husbands birthday. There’s a lot if building work going on adding extra accommodation that’s not directly attached to the hotel so it didn’t bother us. The room was clean and well stocked with toiletries and drink facilities and the staff had added a little extra touch by leaving my husband chocolates and a balloon for his birthday. We had our evening meal in one of the restaurants in the hotel, the Blue Smoke on the Bay, the food was fantastic and reasonably priced, I would definitely recommend it. We didn’t get time to use the spa or gym but we did have a look round them and they looked superb. Breakfast was excellent, with a good variety of hot and cold food including specials that could also be ordered like eggs benedict. The staff were all very friendly and took the time to stop and talk to us. We will definitely be returning here for a longer stay next time.

• Reviewed: June 20, 2018

Pricey but nice getaway for couples. Shame about the scaffolding.
    • Hazel Double or Twin Room

Blue smoke on the bay... few mistakes with food, had higher expectations or the price of the food. Scaffolding and ladders obstructed our view of the lake from our bedroom window. Dissapointing as it is a beautiful place. The hotel took 10% off our bill due to this. Felt slightly uncomfortable at times as there were clearly lots of 'money minded' people around.

I loved breakfast with a view of the lake. The bed was very comfortable. We loved spending time in the Spa.

• Reviewed: June 19, 2018

Absolutely wonderful stay

Absolutely nothing.

The room was gorgeous - homely and unique. The bed was so comfortable and there were lots of lovely extra touches e.g. toiletries in a little bag to take away, freshly ground coffee, fresh Grasmere gingerbread etc. I really liked the hotel's eco friendly touches. The pool and spa area was lovely. The location was brilliant. However what made this hotel was the staff - from the moment we checked in at reception to the moment we drove out of the carpark, they went out of their way to be friendly and to help.

• Reviewed: June 19, 2018

Great but not amazing.
    • Hazel Double or Twin Room

We didn't enjoy the fact our room wasn't what we booked, we had to change rooms three times and as much as the last room was beautiful it didn't have the bath with a view. Because it was for my partners birthday I was left a little disappointed as I paid a little more than I would have just for the bath with a view experience.

We enjoyed the grounds, most of the rooms didn't make use of the amazing views the hotel had to offer, but apart from that the staff where smart and polite and the hotel was clean and beautiful.

• Reviewed: June 16, 2018

very comfortable and welcoming
    • Willow Double or Twin Room

As stated previous location although this can't be helped and you would have to be picky about it.

Myself and my partner both enjoyed our experience here, staff could not do enough hotel facilities excellent. If I really had to be picky and I mean really picky it would be location.... A car is a must to get about from this hotel. Outherwise great plc to stay would highly recommend.

• Reviewed: June 16, 2018

Fabulous accommodation in a beautiful location
    • Willow Double or Twin Room

Our room was very comfortable. We dined at both restaurants which were both excellent. Breakfast was included and was plentiful and delicious. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Restaurants and lounge all have a view of the water. Very relaxing in the lounge for an afternoon vino.

• Reviewed: June 8, 2018

Relaxing and peaceful.
    • Hazel Double or Twin Room

Still building works continue as on previous visit but well organised so that they don't intrude unlike the delivery trucks servicing the hotel which do cause a bit of disturbance early in the morning as they unload near to the bedrooms. Usually service at breakfast was good but on one occasion we were told that on this day we would be served full breakfast at the table 'freshly made' instead of self-service because the hotel was too quiet. After 45 minutes and no service there was some sort of altercation and one of the staff stormed out of the restaurant and then a chef. Had to go to reception to ask for duty manager to sort things out and the manager did turn up. The restaurant reverted to self-service which is what we were accustomed to. However the food looked like it had been sitting for a whle, not freshly made and made us think we could have served ourselves as usual without waiting. I suspect more a staff shortage than a guest shortage and a bit annoying as I was stilll paying for the usual service not for a reduced service. The manager arranged for kitchen staff to deliver some 'fresh' scrambled eggs which sounded good but the plate arrived with eggs just as dried and green as the others . This was the only poor service in a very relaxing week and on all the other days the breakfast was very good. Very odd breakfast service on this one occassion however the remaining waiting staff attending guests did a sterling job, in the face of adversity and ineffective management, so full marks to them.

Great leisure facilites including gym, swimming pool and also watersports across the road. Fantastic location just yards from Windermere albeit across a sometimes busy road. Choice of restaurants now, and new smoothie and coffee bar in the spa serves delicious drinks. Great service from nearly all the staff except on one ooccasion at breakfast.

• Reviewed: June 5, 2018

The room had a nice view of the lake Bed was comfortable
    • Willow Double or Twin Room

Complained Twice about the shower being not much more than a trickle. Had upgraded at a cost of £80 to this room no reduction offered receptionist could not have cared less

The room had a nice view of the lake Bed was comfortable

• Reviewed: June 5, 2018

Everything.

Nothing I didn’t like.

Everything... The Spa was great, the food was amazing, I especially liked the food at the blue smoke restaurant. I spent a lot of time in the snug, treatments were very relaxing, that relaxing that I went back for more. The staff around the whole resort were very friendly and helpful, they paid attention to every detail. I will definitely go back when the new spa opens.

• Reviewed: June 1, 2018

Enjoyable
    • Willow Double or Twin Room

I asked for vegetarian sausage and bacon breakfast which was cooked to order in kitchen- I asked staff if my eggs could be placed on it but was told I had to go to collect eggs from buffet , consequently my whole breakfast was cold I’m afraid, and other members of our party said their traditional breakfast buffet was not hot enough. It was mentioned to staff when plates were cleared and a new breakfast was offered but it was too late then. The next day I chose the advocado breakfast which was lovely.

Beds very comfortable, lovely ambience in hotel, stunning views, smashed advocado and poached eggs breakfast.

• Reviewed: June 1, 2018

Great location, super friendly staff, lovely hotel
    • Willow Double or Twin Room

Can't think of anything we did not like.

The location is amazing, step out of hotel and you looking at / walking round the lake. The staff could not be more helpful / friendly. It was my birthday when we was at the hotel, they put a card, balloon and some complimentary chocolates in the room which was a lovely surprise. It cost more than i normally paid for a hotel but found it was well worth the money.

• Reviewed: May 31, 2018

The breakfast buffet!
    • Willow Double or Twin Room

I had called the hotel days before our arrival to make sure we did not get a room by the construction site, as they were remodeling parts of the hotel. I was assured no rooms were near the site as all room were overlooking the front of the hotel... not true! Upon checking in, we of course get the most depressed room with the view of - yes the construction site.... very annoyed at this point.. having to back down to the reception and request a new room. The staff was amazing though. They got us an upgrade with a view of the lake and triple checked we were happy with our new room offer. Which we were. So it all ended well. Would definitely stay there again! If we got the same room that is.

The breakfast buffet! This was absolutely amazing. Hands down the best breakfast we have ever had at an hotel. They had everything. Including Avocado on toast- made to order! The location is great, right on the lake! But you will need a car to get around. Unless you are a good cyclist. The Lake District is perfect for biking and hiking.

• Reviewed: May 30, 2018

Fabulous, very well looked after and very enjoyable. We will be returning.
    • Willow Double or Twin Room

The breakfast was outstanding and the staff couldnt do enough for us. Dinner in the hotel wasnt cheap but it was very very good. We also brought our boat and got free mooring and parking for the two days. A good saving for us.

• Reviewed: May 30, 2018

Lovely hotel Everything is too notch service 5 star.
    • Willow Double or Twin Room

In the room there is a green light that is too bright something to do with the security reception said . It needs dimming it does keep you awake at night.

We liked everything about the hotel.We only have one negative point.

• Reviewed: May 29, 2018

An enjoyable stay overall.
    • Hazel Double or Twin Room

We were disappointed that towels were not changed despite indicating that we wanted fresh towels by leaving them in the shower cubicle. Also the toiletries were not replenished.

Friendly and polite staff. it is the first time we have been since the refurbishment and we were pleased that the hotel has managed to retain its welcoming atmosphere.

• Reviewed: May 16, 2018

Great Weekend, loveley hotel just ashame about the building works.
    • Willow Double or Twin Room

Building work/scaffolding, no notification of this before hand. Main Road in between hotel and lake, photos do not gice that impression.

Resteraunts, bar and spa excellent, very nice areas to relax in through out the hotel.

• Reviewed: May 7, 2018

• Hazel Double or Twin Room

We stayed at the hotel for a wedding. We certainly would recommend a visit, friendly staff, wonderful breakfast fabulous facilities. Unfortunately we never got to utilise the spa. Our room was beautiful and overlooked the lake, truely stunning!

• Reviewed: May 6, 2018

Very comfortable bed, nice touch with local gingerbread in...
    • Willow Double or Twin Room

Shame the renovations where still going on but we understand that to improve the experience they will be worth the disruption

Very comfortable bed, nice touch with local gingerbread in the room and good selection of teas and coffees

• Reviewed: May 3, 2018

Great breakfast and location
    • Willow Double or Twin Room

The resort is going through major renovation and expansion so was confused when you go through car park to check in but can’t wait to see it all completed will be an amazing place.

Great getaway. The rooms were cosy and clean. Really impressed with the variety at breakfast offering buffet style but also get to order some special dishes from the kitchen. Reception staff checked me in straight away.

• Reviewed: April 16, 2018

Very relaxing with pleasant staff and excellent food
    • Willow Double or Twin Room

The room was dusty. View from the window was of the bins and the kitchen. Window was above a sloping roof which was full of weeds and stagnant water. Didn't think that the room was worth £140 plus £20 for the dog plus another £20 for breakfast

The staff were very helpful. The restaurant was excellent as was the breakfast. Situated close to the lake with beautiful views from the front

• Willow Double or Twin Room

Nothing to complain about.

Great place to stay :) right on top of the lake and only 1 mile from the town. Really enjoyed my stay here. The food was amazing too.

• Reviewed: April 16, 2018

Delighted and will be back

Nothing everything was fine

We had a lovely day staff where great and hotel was so clean very good we love the terrace with the fire and blankets very cosy

• Reviewed: April 10, 2018

Beautiful hotel and beautiful location.
    • Willow Double or Twin Room

The duck feather pillows were a bit too sinky-into. However , I didnt try out the spare ones which could have been alright.

The mattress was very comfy and loved the view and bathroom also great.

• Reviewed: April 10, 2018

A lovely birthday treat for a fab friend from afar
    • Willow Double or Twin Room

My only criticism would be that it would have been lovely to see Cumbrian local foods and drinks on offer as i think people travelling to the area would expect that. The meat/ water was from southern England, I am sure the hotel could find some wonderful local suppliers to make this possible

I was visiting with a friend and had mentioned to the hotel that it was her 50th birthday. They kindly upgraded us to a better room, placed a card, helium balloon and chocolates in the room (at no cost to myself) and when we ate in the restaurant they decorated the table and left another card for the restaurant staff . A lovely overnight treat for a fab friend .

• Reviewed: April 9, 2018

Overall the hotel is brilliant.
    • Willow Double or Twin Room

Service was slow and haphazard in the restaurants

Overall the hotel is brilliant. Facilities are great, the room was brilliant, and the restaurants are great.

• Reviewed: April 6, 2018

Excellent way to spend a very pleasant birthday evening.
    • Willow Double or Twin Room

Everything was good..... only the deluge of rain put a dampener on things.... but hey, it’s early April in the Lakes!

Staff were courteous and very accommodating to our needs. My dog was treated like royalty. The food was excellent. The rooms were very comfortable, and despite being pet friendly, there was no evidence of previous pets being in the room. There are building works ongoing, with a hotel extension being constructed. However, this was no inconvenience, and we were not disturbed at all.

• Reviewed: April 6, 2018

Good to stay other facilities were good.
    • Hazel Double or Twin Room

Cleanliness room 511 bathroom painting was not cleaned.. conditioner and shampoo was half bottle that means someone used before us.. kitchen is not organised..food came out 1:30 hr late from the kitchen restaurant manager knows this ..

• Reviewed: April 2, 2018

Nice hotel but needs a lot more attention to detail if they are aiming to be 5 star
    • Hazel Double or Twin Room

Our room was very small. As there was a wedding party they took over the lounge area the night before and were very noisy. Also as it’s a dog friendly hotel there should be an area separate for dogs to stay.

The facilities were very good and staff very friendly.

• Reviewed: March 28, 2018

Fabulous area great for walking.
    • Willow Double or Twin Room

That were not notified of building works going on. Noisy workmen first thing in a morning

The staff go out of their way to meet your needs very helpful. Hotel is in beautiful surroundings

• Reviewed: March 18, 2018

Good but little issues
    • Willow Double or Twin Room

Breakfast was cold. Room very cold and noisy. Also when first arrived there was stains in both sink and bath which we just cleaned. But wouldnt expect. Other than that good hotel and really modern will be fantastic once the new build is complete.

Great facilities and staff were friendly

• Reviewed: March 16, 2018

Outstanding
    • Hazel Double or Twin Room

Amazing hotel. Recently refurbished to a very high standard. My room was fantastic, spacious with a huge comfy bed and large bathroom. Attended a business dinner and the food was outstanding given over 200 were being served. The staff were exceptional, so friendly and attentive, the best I’ve experienced for a long time, so a huge well done to them all. The breakfast was also superb with lots of choice and great local produce. I can happily recommend and will be back again.

• Reviewed: March 14, 2018

Fantastic would come again
    • Willow Double or Twin Room

Thin walls we were kept awake by next room arguing; bathrooms are quite small and outdated also

Bed was very very comfortable and I have a bad back and I felt fantastic in the morning

• Reviewed: March 12, 2018

Amazing scenes, located right next to Lake Windermere!
    • Willow Double or Twin Room

Restaurant was quite expensive and an acquired taste

Amazing scenes, located right next to Lake Windermere! Room was very clean, it was modern and all the amenities and facilities needed. Nice little touches like the toiletries, biscuits and flowers.

• Reviewed: March 3, 2018

Relaxed. Would stay there again.

No criticisms

V comfortable bedroom. Excellent breakfast.There was a mix up with my booking dates but I was given a complementary room upgrade.The staff were excellent.

• Reviewed: February 26, 2018

Would recommend this to anyone thinking of going to the lake district!
    • Hazel Double or Twin Room

During the night there was a knocking sound which was the building settling, this was a but annoying at 3:30am.

The bed was really comfortable, and the muffins at breakfast were really good!

• Reviewed: February 26, 2018

The lake view room was stunning, with a large bathtub...
    • Willow Double or Twin Room

The lake view room was stunning, with a large bathtub perfect for couples! The spa facilities were wonderful and breakfast was incredible every morning!

• Reviewed: February 24, 2018

Loved it. Relaxing couple of nights away for myself and my wife to recharge our batteries.
    • Willow Double or Twin Room

It will be better once the builders have finished the huge £19m upgrade which I believe is May / June 2018? Having said that, the site is clean and tidy and not noisy and it did not detract from our stay.

Great facilities. Good food. Well prepared. Well presented. Superb location. Excellent spa and pool. Very attentive and friendly staff

• Reviewed: February 20, 2018

Amazing Hotel in an amazing location
    • Willow Double or Twin Room

Shower in room could have been better but not a disaster

A very pleasant comfortable stay, Blue Smoke restaurant a must ! Spa facilities are great ! Staff very helpful

• Reviewed: February 18, 2018

A nightmare of coping with stairs, no working lift and experiencing a building site.
    • Willow Double or Twin Room

The hotel is a building site, JCB,dumper trucks, cement and tarmac lorries. Entrance via wooden steps, three fleet of steps, great for disabled husband, Bedroom on second floor, lift not working , so struggle up,and down two flights of steps. Saw husband decsending for breakfast and offered ground floor room. Room 3 Lovely lake view, old window let in constant draught and rattled with every vechile on road outside it was so cold we wore dressing gowns in bed! This hotel is only for very fit active guests and should be advertised as such, we expected at looking at hotel website my husband would be able to cope easily. Also considering the building works rates should be much reduced. Never ever visit again.

The location was good. Beds were very comfortable Staff kind difficult understanding some with strong accents Loved Bircher fruit breakfast Room 3 has excellent wet room

• Reviewed: January 27, 2018

Not worth the money while the building work is going on.
    • Hazel Double or Twin Room

The property is currently undergoing extensive, and I mean extensive (adding an extra 100+ rooms) and it's basically a building site. This is not mentioned (ie the building work) on their website, or prior or after the booking. This is not reasonable, considering how much they are charging for the rooms.

Location is lovely. The staff are really friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: January 24, 2018

Great rooms and facilities
    • Willow Double or Twin Room

We stayed just before NYE and the food wasn't the best but I believe this was just the time of year.

The room had recently been refurbished - one of the best standard rooms I have stayed in, much more like delux.

• Reviewed: January 22, 2018

Perfect, we will definitely back!
    • Willow Double or Twin Room

Nothing really, just that there was building work going on for the new spa so the entrance was moved but this can’t be helped.

The staff were so friendly which makes all the difference. The Blue Smoke on the Bay was outstanding! The setting was beautiful.

• Reviewed: January 21, 2018

Excellent update at Low Wood.
    • Hazel Double or Twin Room

Lots of stairs but staff very willing to help with luggage.

Undergoing a big refurb, new facilities are very good. Spa has been very well updated, still a way to go but what's done is great. Blue smoke restaurant and Norman's both really tastefully done.

• Reviewed: January 16, 2018

Lovely hotel, attentive, polite staff and good food.
    • Lime Double or Twin Room with Lake View

The bedroom was a little on the small side and there was not much surface space in the bathroom to put wash bags etc.

The staff were extremely helpful, polite and attentive. The food in the Blue Smoke Restaurant was excellent. Perhaps two side dishes should have been included in the main course. The rooms were comfortable with some nice touches including a huge gingerbread biscuit! The view from the bedroom was spectacular.

• Reviewed: January 14, 2018

Consistent and sustained high quality service delivered effortlessly
    • Willow Double or Twin Room

More heating in the bathroom and corridors

Professional and friendly staff. The focus on quality is evident as is the excellent staff/ customer relationship. Quality is exemplified by consistently high standards of service...prompt service with a smile.

• Reviewed: January 5, 2018

An Excellent short break.
    • Willow Double or Twin Room

I bought the stay for a Christmas present for my Daughter and husband. They booked Dinner in the Restaurant and made full use of the facilities available which they said was excellent.They enjoyed their stay so much they are going to book again soon.

• Reviewed: December 31, 2017

Stylish, comfortable and luxurious
    • Lime Double or Twin Room with Lake View

We had one or two tiny niggles - in the afternoon we found the service in the lounge area to be a little slow with only one person taking and fulfilling orders and a few other staff milling around not seeming to be doing an awful lot. It was a big of a shame that the main restaurant closed at 9pm as well as this prevented us from having dinner on-site.

The location of this hotel was right on the lakeside which meant excellent views from our room (not all rooms) though it was also situated on the road between Windermere and Ambleside which meant some traffic noise during the day. The room itself was superb - spacious, clean and stylish with many extra touches offered throughout. Breakfast was excellent with an enormous selection of fresh, high quality ingredients. Overall, a lovely place to stay, with the added bonus of the health centre facilities (which we did not use on this occasion)

• Reviewed: December 26, 2017

Disappointed
    • Willow Double or Twin Room

After reading the supplied literature in our hotel room regarding local hotels, inn’s, etc. that are associated with the Low Wood Bay we asked our reception to book a taxi to one of the recommended Inn’s. We travelled to the Wild Boar Inn where we were refused entry as the Wild Boar Inn were only serving residents, we were refused access to have a warm drink only (not food). We were made to stand in the rain in the car park of the Wild Boar Inn while we phoned and waited for a taxi to arrive. We informed the Wild Boar Inn that we were residents of the Low Wood Bay and we were told the fact that we were residents of their sister hotel ‘should’ have helped the situation but they were still not willing to allow my wife and I access, it was the 10th anniversary of our wedding at the Low Wood Bay. I would be amazed if the Wild Boar Inn are able to refuse entry as they did, I would be amazed if the Low Wood Bay we’re unaware of the Wild Boar Inn’s policy when they organised a taxi but I do know that I wasted significant time and money on taxi’s and felt that any party involved in this break were only interested in bleeding money.

• Reviewed: December 20, 2017

Convenient overnight stay with bonus of lovely spa
    • Willow Double or Twin Room

Building works .. although didn't really hear them .. the hoteland staff are still getting used to new systems ... you need a car to access Ambleside or windermere .. or a good 20 mins walk to ambleside but there are pavements

Friendly staff .. down to earth atmosphere and a great leisure complex .. basic double is good .. if you pay extra for Lake view you will look over the road with sound to go with it !

• Reviewed: December 11, 2017

Excellent escape, luxury hotel, good facilities
    • Willow Double or Twin Room

Would have liked some simpler food at more reasonable prices. Most important change would be to update the music in the bar, and have more variety! over and over the same music!!

Inside the hotel was excellent - the facilities are great to have - swimming pool and gym very good. The food was good. There is a lot of building work on site but this did not get in the way of our enjoyment.

• Reviewed: November 30, 2017

beautiful location
    • Hazel Double or Twin Room

The view from our room over the air conditioning Very hard to relax in the spa with screaming children in there Lack of control over temperature Price

beautiful location Great food Friendly and helpful staff The little dog on the bed Jacuzzi bath

• Reviewed: November 20, 2017

Great location, would recommend, good value, Fantastic SPA!!!!
    • Willow Double or Twin Room

Too many staff in the breakfast restaurant so kept coming over asking the same questions or trying to remove your plate when you are still eating. I ordered a champagne breakfast for a special treat, this never arrived so that spoilt the surprise. I ordered room service on the Saturday afternoon and asked for the try to be taken on 3 separate occasions as the hotel ask you not to leave them at the door...the try was still there when I checked out on Sunday. The Showers in the room was cold.

The location was in a great spot, beautiful views of the lake and the mountains. The SPA offered relaxing treatments at great value, the food in the new blue smoke restaurant was amazing and all was good value for money. Nice selection of fine wines. Although I did not travel with a dog the hotel was very accommodating to animals which was nice. (and they had their own places to eat).

• Reviewed: November 15, 2017

Beautiful, clean and stylish room.
    • Willow Double or Twin Room

Beautiful, clean and stylish room. The staff were beyond friendly and helpful throughout our stay. Perfect and picturesque location. Breakfast was delicious- so much choice. I will be coming back!!

• Reviewed: November 14, 2017

Pleasant
    • Willow Double or Twin Room

There was significant building work taking place, we had a barking dog very close to our room and although the hotel was very close to the lake the road in front of the hotel was very busy and not easy to walk on

The staff were very friendly and helpful

• Reviewed: November 7, 2017

Very enjoyable
    • Willow Double or Twin Room

No spare iPhone charger plugs...essential these days for forgetful guests like us. 🙂Hotel having and impressive extension new health club reception area is very stylish. Building work is going on but we didn't find it intrusive.

Blue smoke restaurant was very nice, good atmosphere friendly staff and great food! Very nice touch on our table when the staff knew we were celebrating our wedding anniversay. All the staff were very helpful and friendly. Rooms was very comfortable and spa facilities new easily accessible. Great views of lake Windermere from the front of the hotel.

• Reviewed: November 3, 2017

Lovely Low Wood
    • Willow Double or Twin Room

It is quite a distance; and a fairly steep flight of steps, from the car park to hotel reception.

Excellent location on the shore of Lake Windermere set betwewn the towns of Ambleside, Wi dermere and Bowness.

• Reviewed: November 3, 2017

The standard of food in the restaurant was excellent.
    • Willow Double or Twin Room

The standard of food in the restaurant was excellent.There was lots of choice for breakfast, again excellent standard for freshly cooked food,however, for the full english, the eggs would have been much better if freshly cooked.

• Reviewed: October 26, 2017

Excellent, we couldn’t of wished for a better get away for our anniversary and my partners birthday
    • Hazel Double or Twin Room

We weren’t able to eat in the new restaurant, due to a problem with the grill. However they were more than accommodating for us in the other restaurant

The team throughout our stay were very attentive, they took pride in looking after their guests. The rooms were superb. The facilities are well maintained I would definitely be going back!

• Reviewed: October 25, 2017

Comfortable stay in quality hotel with excellent staff.
    • Willow Double or Twin Room

was in willow room, booked through booking.com. Ok but quite small, only 1 easy chair looking out over building site. £200 per night, not really good value.

very comfortable hotel. big spacious lounge, nice dining room, top class food for breakfast and dinner. Good sized pool in leisure centre. Comfortable bed.

• Reviewed: October 24, 2017

Relaxed and comfortable with great views and location
    • Hazel Double or Twin Room

Food in the other side of the hotel (I guess it’s where breakfast is served) on the Sunday night as the main restaurant was closed. Menu was poor, plenty missing off of it. Fish was over cooked and the sauce looked radioactive. Felt so sick after it. Hotel were kind enough to take wine off of our bill because of this. That aside, could not fault the hotel and each member of staff lovely.

Pet friendly lovely staff especially the room cleaning. Very nice and lovely with our dog. Would love to stay again but will travel to Windermere more for evening meals.

• Reviewed: October 23, 2017

Brilliant Hotel with lovely views, friendly staff, and room spotlessly clean.
    • Hazel Double or Twin Room

Disappointed: enquired 4 weeks before my stay about a treatment in Hotel Spa. Got no response. Re- enquired weeks later & told no availability. Was offered discount on another day but Hotel is 3 hours drive from where we live! Tried straight after breakfast to book hotel restaurant for that evening & told it was fully booked all night - very disappointed :(

Likes: The bedroom and ensuite were spotlessly clean and very comfy bed. Staff were very friendly. Lovely views from Hotel.Great breakfast choices.

• Reviewed: October 22, 2017

Great hotel, fabulous location.
    • Willow Double or Twin Room

The breakfast staff were inattentive and walked past repeatedly without clearing used dishes, even when we stacked them at the edge of the table. We also had to chase after someone to order from menu. Also the toast arrived first, long before we would have wanted any, so was wasted. Lovely food though. Dimming the lights in the Blue Smoke restaurant would improve the ambience. It was a bit 'daywear' and bright even late at night.

The bed was really comfy and the breakfast superb. The staff and the food at the Blue Smoke were excellent.

• Reviewed: October 19, 2017

Unforgettable
    • Willow Double or Twin Room

We received a warm welcome from Michelle, who booked us into a suite for the evening. The room was spacious with elegant decor. We used the new spa facilities which were modern and clean. We topped off the evening with an unforgetable meal at their new restaurant, Blue Smoke.