Reviews of Macdonald Portal Hotel, Golf & Spa Cobblers Cross, Cheshire 4 stars

Cobblers Cross, Tarporley, CW6 0DJ, United Kingdom

#5 of 7 hotels in Tarporley

• Executive King Room

We have stopped at this hotel several times before and had excellent service. This time was totally different. Their staff are very friendly but there are not enough of them. The restaurant for breakfast was manned by two people only and we had to ask for everything. The second day having a buffet breakfast as the hotel was so busy. The leisure club did not open on time, probably about an hour and a half late as the person just did not show up for their shift. The room was very very hot, stifling, we had to prop the door open to get some air in. We hardly slept. The windows only open about 6 inches. We had upgraded our room this time and really wish we had not. There were no bathrobes, the servicing of the room was done after 4.30pm and they did not fill up the tea and coffee. The service in the bar area was poor, getting the wrong drinks on two occasions and were told, only after asking, that they had run out if biscuits. You should not offer something if you don’t have it! Sorry it was not a good experience this time.

It is a great hotel in a lovely setting. Taporley is a fantastic village with very good pubs and restaurants.

Good place to stay.
    • Classic King Room

Breakfast was very expensive ( £18 ) and not of good quality ….. better to eat in the town. Furniture and carpets could do with bringing up to date.... all a bit 80's.

Large comfortable rooms, nice bar/outside area and pool area and spa. Nice staff. Good deals on dinner and nice bar food.

Nice breakfast room excellent lovely location
    • Executive King Room

Room far too hot Breakfast coffee awful - like dishwasher - everyone now used to a very high standard of quality coffee

Nice breakfast room excellent lovely location

The receptionist wasn’t
    • Classic King Room

The receptionist wasn’t Hi pthe best. We were attending a wedding & my husband asked if a room was available & she was quite dismissive & didn’t even check. Even if she had looked like she was checking he wouldn’t have known any different.

Some lovely members of staff , and a great Hotel. Huge disappointment reference below.
    • Classic King Room

On arrival, a pre authorization of my credit card for cost of stay (£209), plus £100 for extras in bar and restaurant(this was not used) was taken. On departure, I dealt with a patronising member of staff who informed me that their system had a glitch and a payment couldn't be finalised using my pre authorized amount, therefore requesting a chip and pin payment. I questioned her on whether this would result in my account billed twice for my stay , where she made out as if I was absolutely ridiculous for thinking this , and assured me that this would not happen. I proceeded with chip and pin and left quickly extremely annoyed with the customer service that I was faced with after a great weekend. I checked my account as soon as I got my bags in the car to find pending payment of £517. I continued to monitor the status of these payments over the next few days to see what finalised. The £100 pre authorized amount for extras was released back into my account, and amounts of £209 and £208 we're paid out to The hotel. As I predicted I was billed twice, however, they were ever so kind on discounting a pound off the second bill... Jokers!!!! I phoned the hotel 3 times in a day (first at around 09:00) explaining the situation, and kept getting told I'd be contacted by accounts shortly. With no correspondence, I phoned again the day after, where I heard back at approximately 17:00 to get the issue resolved. The amount was then paid back into my account almost a fortnight after my stay. I was extremely annoyed by this entire situation, and the lack of professionalism and urgency this Hotel showed in getting this problem resolved. We had a great weekend and met some lovely staff, was such a shame to be faced with this nonsense on departure..... and all with no formal apology whatsoever.

Rooms ok spa ok
    • Classic King Room

Service to slow at bar and at breakfast ..ordered food at bar food came no cutlery had to ask for it ..on last day no water in hotel was not informed about it when checking in as they must’ve known with notice from the water board so no shower no wash no nothing only offered was one bottle of water total crap.... I will never stay at the hotel again as I’ve stated before it’s gone right down hill

Rooms ok spa ok

Relax and sport for racing lovers
    • Classic King Room

The restaurant within the premises could have done something better. A steak house should not serve cold steak and cooked differently than asked. This is something that may be not directly related to the property itself

Great location for all the riders that want to have a ride in the extremely close racing circuit Oulton Park. The SPA is full of services that are comprehensive in the price, the massages are on top but considering the price is more than fair. The staff is great, helpful, friendly and smiley. Relax in this place is something sure.

Not worth the money.
    • Executive King Room

The attitude of some staff. The self service breakfast was not of a good quality. For the price it should have been a waiter service breakfast.

Have stayed here before and would stay here again
    • Executive Suite

First Morning Set up pillows to sit up in bed with a cup of tea. Returned in the evening to find Duvet pulled over bed but pillows still set up against bed head as left in the morning! Coffee pods replaced but not tea bags, no milk left. Face cloth in bathroom removed but not replaced. POOR Housekeeping. Poor attitude of male bartender.

Location good for Oulton park
    • Classic King Room

Restaurant evening meal choices and service shocking again, stayed 3 times now and its not getting any better, only stay because of the location

Location is excellent for Oulton Park Grounds and hotel is good

Beautiful views, pricey food
    • Executive King Room

The food was very pricey, and I was quite disappointed when asking for some extra salad dressing to be told I will probably need to pay for it. I have never experienced this before, they did bring extra dressing and didn't charge me after checking with the kitchen. We chose to eat away from the property after that. There is no aircon in the rooms and they did become very hot and stuffy.

The location was beautiful. We didn't have time to experience the spa, and treatments were all booked up, (but we did stay on a bank holiday weekend) but there was a great choice of treatments. We lucked out and got a lovely corner suite which had a huge wrap around balcony. Reception staff were very helpful and friendly.

Poor value for money.
    • Executive King Room

Not really value for money on the room or the quality of the hotel. Very poor rooms, tired and lacking love and attention - it’s just holding onto its 4 stars. At £300 for two nights I thought I’d get a better breakfast than at McDonald’s! A further £18 per person for breakfast of that standard is outrageous - for that money I thought you might receive more than filter coffee which you have to collect from a pot yourself as opposed to table service and the buffet breakfast was empty by 9.15 even though it goes on until 10am - staff not paying attention to food levels, or heater turning off under the buffet meaning anything there was cold. All in all just a bit lack lustre.

The golf is very good!

The room was fantastic - it was a nice size, and the...
    • Deluxe Double Room

A minor point - we ordered room service meals and paid at the time, there was some confusion when we checked out the following morning as reception attempted to charge us again. However all was quickly rectified and the staff were very attentive, polite and friendly.

The room was fantastic - it was a nice size, and the bathroom was huge. The staff were excellent, the location was just amazing, with far-reaching views; we had a nice walk around the grounds one evening to appreciate it better. The meals were great too - the Chicken Caesar Salad was glorious.

Beautiful locations very friendly staff and very comfortable...

Nothing it was fab

Beautiful locations very friendly staff and very comfortable beds would definitely recommend to friends and family there is a swimming pool and beauty treatments available and a huge golf course will definitely be back again

Nice place but heavily overpriced for our needs
    • Classic King Room

Price considering no golf or spa facilities were used was excessively high. Large groups of golfers in bar drinking heavily/being loud

Bathriom excellent, comfy beds

Really lovely hotel and extremely helpful staff
    • Classic King Room

The view from our room on the bottom floor wasn't great. Could have done with some more foliage to separate the window from the car park.

The bed was extremely comfortable and the shower was amazing. 24 hour room service a massive bonus for us. The reception staff were very helpful and booked a taxi for my partner when he was having trouble finding a company with availability.

Lovely relaxing weekend which is what we wanted and what we got!
    • Classic King Room

The rooms although good are a little tired in places.

Rooms spacious and clean. Bed very comfortable. Breakfast also very good. Nice ordering individually and being waited on rather than a help yourself. Spa area also good.

Excellent, would defiantly stay again when i'm in the area.
    • Classic King Room

The cost was a bit over the top for the food, but as they say, you pay for what you get and you get quality.

Fantastic hotel, lots of room. Restaurant was great as was the bar area. Rooms were roomy and very clean.

Potential of being a fabulous hotel but each stay there is always something small that lets it down.
    • Classic King Room

I didn't stay for breakfast as previous two occasions they have messed up the orders, plus always bringing hot food to the table before my cereal is finished (even after asking them specifically to wait). They haven't listened on two previous occasions and feedback from others that have recently stayed at the hotel for breakfast said the same, that orders were messed up. So this time I didn't chance it. No shampoo in the swimming pool changing room showers, which would have been a nice touch, instead of having to walk back to the room to wash it. Room service food selection is very poor. In the end I asked for a normal mixed salad (which wasn't on the menu) with a salmon fillet, instead of a ceasar salad and salmon and I received a tiny salad no bigger than a side salad, with a little shredded plain cos lettuce, one sliced tomato on top, onion (which I didn't ask for) and a basic dressing on. This is not a main meal and I shouldn't have been charged for it. Side salad and salmon should have been charged for. I signed the bill before looking at the salad as it was covered. It was a tasty dish and the salmon skin was crispy as I like it, but pitifully small!

Swimming pool, saunas, steam rooms and ice room were perfect for a relaxing evening!

Hats off to the Macdonald Hotel Co
    • Classic King Room

The Spa options were great however the pool at times was far from relaxing. More akin to a kids leasure centre as far as noise levels.

Great location with lovely views. Staff were very helpful and lastly the room was excellent.

Enjoyed the one night stay but could have been better.
    • Executive King Room

No information in the room to advise visitors about the facilities not only in the hotel but also surrounds. Staff elsewhere (bar/restaurant) lacked personality. Breakfast was not ready on time and hot food slow to come out. Waterstone Suite very cold for the evening event, albeit snow on the ground.

Room OK and comfortable. Reception staff were good.

lovely location, good staff, long checking in, poor value for money, no atmosphere in bar area

put in wrong room, over priced for bed only, no Jacuzzi although spa hotel, nothing else offered except golf, food expensive delivered with large long black hair!!

comfy bed nice view

I would not stay here again due to the food being of poor quality
    • Deluxe Double Room

The food in the restaurant was not very good. I had wild sea bass with potatoes, roast tomatoes and pepper sauce ( it was a very small portion). The fish had been frozen and had a very dull plain taste to it and the potatoes were of poor quality , there was maybe a teaspoon of pepper sauce. I then had the banoffe desert which was ok ( you cant really go wrong with bananas, cream and chocolate sauce on one plate ) The price for the sea bass was £24.00!!!!! and the desert was £7.50 which is extortionate for poor food in small portions. I would expect to pay this sort of price in an award winning restaurant

Very nice bedroom and lovely staff

Great hotel, shame about the pool area.
    • Classic King Room

The pool area. On the first night the pool shut at six instead of late evening. Double checked opening times for children with hotel staff and was assured that it wouldn’t be an issue, we could go in any time. The pool staff were then quite shirty when we arrived 25 minutes before the supposed end time for kids. Disappointed, ruined an otherwise lovely stay. Men’s showers were out of order so hubby was less than impressed. Two of the hot rooms are ok but two are useless; get rid and replace with a jacuzzi!

Loved the hotel. Fab staff, great food and the room was beautiful. Burgers were yummy! Bar and restaurant area were great and breakfast delicious. Loved it!

Great relaxing stay prior to a long day motor racing. Thank you.
    • Executive Suite

Noisy guests until the early hours slamming doors and shouting to each other, but I suppose people pay their money and feel they can do as they please. Wouldn't affect me booking again though, will just pack more ear plugs.

Arrived early but able to use the pool facilities etc. Good parking. Great comfy room and bed. Superb meal and service in the restaurant. Again great service by the breakfast staff during a busy morning.

Lovely night would definitely stay again
    • Classic King Room

Very friendly and helpful staff, great rooms and breakfast. Plenty of parking which is mainly what I look for when I drive a large truck and trailer! Very close to Oulton Park circuit too which was my destination.

Upsetting
    • Classic King Room

When busy extremely noisy throughout the hotel , terrible service, rooms not stocked properly ,poor condition of bathroom, don’t renew toiletries on second day very expensive for a very mediocre hotel too many issues , if this is the standard of a Mac Donald’s hotel you can keep it , never again

the spa
    • Classic King Room

we had breakfast in the bar in the morning. Two sausage sandwiches.. it was horrible. the staff were really unhelpful and rude in the food area.

the spa

Staff were excellent and extremely friendly.
    • Classic King Room

Seems to be cheaper when you book direct with the hotel compared with my booking through booking.com

Staff were excellent and extremely friendly. Nothing was too much trouble they all seemed happy to help

Love it
    • Classic King Room

It would of been great to have some discount at the spa. I thought the breakfast was a bit expensive to.

Nice posh place to stay, even better when your upgraded. Staff were always so nice and friendly.

Comfortable, modern well run hotel

Fridge light flickered and didn’t work-this should have been spotted before we checked in. I reported it on checkout as it was too late when I went to bed, expecting cold water I had put in fridge earlier.

Very comfy bed and pillows. Staff very helpful particularly receptionists.

A lovely hotel for a short break in great countryside, great facilities & excellent for dog owners.
    • Classic King Room

We loved our stay at this hotel. The staff were wonderful and made every effort to make us welcome. The room was lovely and the bed was really big and comfy. I especially recommend this hotel for dog owners, dogs are allowed in the bar area and all the staff we met were all very dog friendly and happy to say hello to him and make a fuss. The grounds are beautiful and great for dog walking.

Above and beyond what was expected, Desi and the girls were excellent.

Can't fault anything

Staff were brilliant, big thanks to Desi and the girls on the desk for meeting my every request and even more. Always helpful, always smiling. Fabulous New Years celebrations and would certainly revisit.

Disappointed!!!!
    • Executive King Room

Facilities good sauna etc but getting bit worn since I last stayed there a few years ago Given robe in room for spa had holes in it and stain on it too

Comfortable room comfy bed Breakfast ok

Not as good as last time. Expensive without offers.
    • Classic King Room

Being constantly told to book spa and dinner in advance but then finding out spa was 30% off booked actually on the day. Spa manager couldn't grasp the point of why we were annoyed. Would have preferred to be told there was a wedding on that day. Especially as the guests were rowdy etc and on the same corridor.

Friendly staff

Unfortunately will not be visiting again - not for us!
    • Special Offer - Executive King Room

Room / hotel required update - rather tired Wine price appalling for quality Food good but again expensive Very busy in daytime with meetings and functions - no separate area/lounge for residents

staff very pleasant and helpfull Surrounding golf area very well kept

Very comfortable hotel, friendly and helpful staff.
    • Executive King Room

Room heating, could have been better. Bread served at dinner should have been warm and crusty but was soft and cold.

Friendly and helpful staff. Excellent room.

Excellent from start to finish
    • Special Offer - Executive King Room

All contact has to go through central reservations who had no imagination. Due to this routing procedure it was extremely difficult to speak directly to the events manager, who personally was most efficient and with her team made the day run smoothly.

Set dinner for 60 served really excellent food. Staff courteous and helpful

Clean and comfortable but service not 4*
    • Classic King Room

There wasn't a hot buffet breakfast. Telephone signal and Wifi was shocking! I had to argue at checkout that I had paid for my room through booking.com as they thought I had only paid for one night. I had the evidence to prove that I had paid.

Although there was no hot buffet the full breakfast was good and fulfilling.

Pleasant but could be better.
    • Classic King Room

For a four star hotel to have no orange juice, no working coffee machine in restaurant and bar, no ginger ale mixer and poor quality pillows is a little dissapointing.

Setting, staff friendly

Too many negatives to return
    • Classic King Room

Booked a King room and got a twin Hotel could not provide a dinner reservation (at Dinner time) even though we tried to book at check in (15.00 ish) Beer selection in Bar was very poor.

Facilities

We had a very enjoyable stay and took the little guide book of other locations of McDonald hotels va
    • Classic King Room

The lighting in the Spa could be better when having manicures and pedicures - the staff can barely see what they are doing

The bed was very comfortable in fact I ordered a comforter on the way home . The steak we had on 2 occasions during our stay was excellent .

No croissants whatsoever, breakfast was from 7.
    • Classic King Room

See abovefriendly place which welcomed our dog also

No croissants whatsoever, breakfast was from 7.30, croissants were still in the oven, can these be available from 7am for continental option, we had to leave without any breakfast sadly.

the offer of an inclusive dinner was really good value for...
    • Classic King Room

service at dinner was slow and a bit intermittent, although the food was excellent - I dined with a colleague who was not staying at the hotel and we both agreed the standard of food and presentation was very good. Service at breakfast was a little slow too, took 20 minutes to get 2 boiled eggs.

the offer of an inclusive dinner was really good value for money, although there was limited choise the quality was excellent

Poor - will avoid Macdonald hotels again - a corporate event which I am involved in
    • Executive King Room

Very poor service at dinner and breakfast . Had to ask for everything. Staff made a huge mess of the bill. They could not coordinate the special deals offered by head office with what we had.

Nice hotel and grounds would advise not to eat in the restaurant as staff are a joke
    • Classic King Room

Staff in the restaurant were very rude, unorganised and most of them were standing around not attending the tables. It took them 10 minutes for them to even seat us after seating us. we had to ask to order drinks and then took another 20 minutes for them to take a drinks order, then a further hour for food to arrive.

We booked a room an hour before we arrived, the staff were...
    • Classic King Room

We booked a room an hour before we arrived, the staff were really accommodating and helpful. The bed was HUGE. Dinner and breakfast were very good, it was a shame we didn't have time to try the Spa but we will be back!

Won't come back
    • Classic King Room

Staff were awful. They needed a rocket and looked miserable. Serv i.e. Was slow all round and they didn't deal with late night parties in rooms keeping everybody awake. Seriously lacking in management leadership.

Location and setting

Did not have breakfast too expensive
    • Classic King Room

Being charged an extra £10 after leaving the room at 11.30 half an hour late. During that time no one was rapping the door asking us to leave and cleaning was going on in other rooms. At almost £200 a night I thought this a little customer unfriendly

Did not have breakfast too expensive

Lovely hotel but very stressful lead up to my stay.
    • Classic King Room

Being told the morning of my stay that there was no space in the hotel for me so was being moved 30 minutes away from my friend's wedding. Fortunately, I was upset enough that after an hour they found me a room and moved another poor couple. When I asked how this happened they simply explained that they always overbook. Crazy!

Very pleasant stay set in beautiful grounds, would recommend.
    • Classic King Room

I thought the breakfast was included in the price, it was very expensive to buy on the day, we didn't bother and just had a coffee & breakfast bar that I had brought with me.

We were given a room on the ground floor as requested. Needed a crib rather then a cot as it was a little too big for 10 week old but it did the job.

Didn't have breakfast
    • Executive King Room

Over charged on bill for items on both nights that we actually didn't have And rang at 3 am to ask about sandwiches we hadn't ordered disrupting our sleep

Didn't have breakfast

A stunning location, beautiful trees and very relaxing with some lovely staff
    • Classic King Room

We ate in the lounge, my partner had fish and chips, the fish was very over cooked the batter was hard and had been fried so long it had started to look burnt, also the mushy peas were over done and looked dried out. The staff were very pleasant, they asked if the meal had been ok he said about the fish and peas they apologised and gave him a complimentary pint of beer.

The friendly staff, especially the lady who was in at breakfast Sharon I think. We wanted our coffe outside so we could have a cigarette with the coffee and we were even able to have our cooked breakfast outside, which made for a perfect relaxing breakfast. Thankyou

Fawlty Towers with a spa.
    • Executive Double Room

Staff generally dour and unhelpful, with a couple of exceptions. Restaurant very dated with uninspired food and laughable wine list. WiFi erratic. Breakfast was a appalling (£21), croissants at least 3 days old everything very low quality. Came back at 2 pm and room still not made up.

Not much to be honest

Lovely location and facilities.
    • Classic King Room

Nothing really a lovely place but be aware that taxis are expensive if you need to travel without your car as we did. This due to rural, semi remote location I guess.

Lovely location and facilities. The staff were very friendly friendly and helpful. We only stayed the night as we were attending a wedding at a nearby location.

Beautiful Location
    • Classic King Room

Nice hotel, breakfast was a bit of a letdown, asked for a Bacon Muffin and it was tiny (good for the waistline, however! But not so good for the appetite) - staff were really lovely and a gorgeous location.

Golf focused hotel, but fine for non-golfers...
    • Special Offer - Executive King Room

Restaurant staff were not trained; couldn't even open a bottle of wine! The restaurant had an extremely restrictive menu, though the food was well cooked and presentable. Rooms do not have A/C which means you suffer the humidity, my window opened on to car park so I got noise and smokers, not nice at all.

Friendly staff. Peaceful and picturesque location.

An enjoyable stay in a great hotel with lovely surroundings and facilities.
    • Classic King Room

Breakfast was overpriced (even at £15.50!). Poor selection and slow uncoordinated service. (Staff training?) 'Traffic jam' at Checkout. Waited whilst receptionist concluded a long telephone call. Supervisor (?) unable to assist.

The property, bedroom, bathroom, swimming pool were excellent. Check In Receptionist and Afternoon Tea staff were superb.

Nice stay but expensive.
    • Classic King Room

Price of glass of 175 wine was very expensive. And tried to charge my card on booking out for something I had paid cash for. Good job I had kept the receipt.

Room comfort and size of room.

Excellent hit all with brilliant staff and facilities.
    • Classic King Room

There was nothing to dislike at all.

The staff were exceptional, very helpful and friendly, nothing was too much bother for them, wou,d recommend this hotel to friends.

Lovely place
    • Classic King Room

A Large party arrived mid meal so we were put aside a little.we were in the restaurant 4 hours in total,but the food was lovely.

Very convenient for oulton park

Poor restaurant staff and even poorer management.
    • Classic King Room

Staff in the restaurant are useless, it takes them forever to serve you and even longer to pay the bill. Management team are shocking. I'm a wheelchair user and have stayed at the hotel before. Their accessible bathroom does not function properly and even able bodied people are unable to sit on the shower seat without the backrest pushing you off the seat! I showed the management the problem last year and the solution was to unscrew the backrest from the wall and make good. They promised me it would be sorted for my next stay a year later. It wasn't. They offered me nothing in way of compensation for this and I was unable to use the shower during my stay. I will not be staying here again.

Very good, shame about the breakfast
    • Classic King Room

When my wife and I went for the breakfast in the morning, we where told that we can have either fried or poached eggs for are breakfast, we had to ask On 3 separate occasions where are the eggs that we ordered, in the end we gave up and finished our cooked breakfast with out our eggs and then left the restaurant.

The bad was very comfortable and the room lay out was very good

Generally excellent, badly let down by excessively slow service in restaurant
    • Classic King Room

Only two things The service in the restaurant, for a table that was booked in advance,was disgraceful. We had to ask several times if we could order our food, despite that it was 45 mins before someone took our order then subsequent delays between the starter and main. We spent so long in the restaurant we stopped after the main course and left without ordering dessert or coffee.

Almost everything

A pleasant stay
    • Classic King Room

Pillows weren't great so sleep was OK but not wonderful. Too many children in the swimming pool. Whilst were told of the times when there would be no children in the pool this wasn't convenient for when we wanted to use it.

Great sized room and bed. Food at the steakhouse was exceptional on both nights we stayed.

Breakfast was disgusting
    • Classic King Room

Staff were rude at breakfast, no clean tables on arrival & breakfast was over priced, food poor quality & limited selection

The grounds Bed size

Unfortunate
    • Classic Double Room

Having a male manager wake us up, come into our room at 4:30am, as he needed check fire alarm as smoke was detected, rude and made my self and my female friend feel very uncomftable. When we checked out there was £100 fine for eligedily smoking in the room when both me and my female friend weren't smoking and nothing was there to support his accusation. We've heard nothing from the hotel apologising of this. We did not pay the fine they said to leave it with them and they would call us yet they havent even bothered too.

The building its self was beautiful

• Reviewed: 7 May 2017

Great stay. Lovely hotel with lovely views driving down to the hotel.
    • Classic King Room

The only fault I could give were there could have been more spare plug sockets in the room and the curtains were a bit dusty and worn.

The beds were really big and comfy, nice bathroom/shower and nice views to the right of looking out the window. We didn't get chance to use the facilities at the hotel unfortunately as we were going to a family wedding nearby.

Excellent hotel & staff
    • Classic King Room

I have no complaints about this property

Location and hotel were excellent for our trip to Oulton Park. Staff, room and facilities were excellent. Will return soon.

Nice hotel
    • Classic King Room

After asking at reception about a extra night only to be told without even looking by a women there is no rooms.went back to my room and booked the same room on line.

room was nice bed was ok shower great.

Service in the restaurant and at the bar was terrible.
    • Classic King Room

Service in the restaurant and at the bar was terrible. Everything took far too long to happen and often required several reminders. Everything else good.

• Reviewed: 28 March 2017

Locked out of room for a weekend!
    • Special Offer - Classic Double Room

Room key fob didn't work for the duration we had to be escorted and let in to our room. No mention of any reduction in bill for inconvenience, morning paper requested undelivered. Why didn't the hotel employ extra staff to position on each landing, rather than wait at reception for 'escort' .

Decent size room

Bed was huge, everyone was really friendly and would go out...
    • Special Offer - Classic Double Room

Really secluded area if you dont have a car your stuck in the hotel and no cash mashine

Bed was huge, everyone was really friendly and would go out of there way to help you

• Reviewed: 18 March 2017

exellent hotel
    • Special Offer - Classic Double Room

We never had a remote control for T V but the staff tried to resolve this but was unable but did offer an alterative

The bed was very large and comfortable

• Reviewed: 5 March 2017

Living on the reputation of its location, functions / weddings & any golfers out there !!!!
    • Special Offer - Classic Double Room

Bathroom decor was very poor. Lights coming out of ceiling. Water stains on ceiling. Mould / grime everywhere. Sealant had gaps in it around bathroom. Hotel in-room guide was filthy on outside & most pages on inside. Ordered morning papers for two days - 1st day never arrived, asked Reception & had to collect from there - what's the point of that when I want to read the paper in bed !! 2nd day, asked at reception & they never kept it for us !!! Pool was very cold even though it says it's heated. Asked at reception for robes to go to pool & reply was you have to go down to the Spa to get them, not kept in hotel rooms ???? Cheese & biscuits - £8 for 5 small round crackers and 3 small pieces of cheese. When we arrived, the bulb of the main light in the room was broke, as was one of the bedside lamps. TV power lead had been disconnected from back of TV & hid behind TV unit. In room guide it states that guests are not allowed to bring their own drinks and if any evidence of this is found by the hotel, then an extra corkage charge will be applied to your bill. We stayed in room 233 I think, so avoid it !! Shame, I think it could be good, but for over £100 B&B per night, I'm certainly in no rush to go back !!!! Overall, very disappointed !!!! ;-(

Nice location in countryside. Standard room was a good size. Views from breakfast were good. Bar main meal good.