Reviews of The Rochford Hotel 3 stars

Bradley Way, Southend-on-Sea, SS4 1BU, United Kingdom

#5 of 11 hotels in Southend-on-Sea

• Executive Double Room

This was my fifth visit here as it tends to be my first choice when working in the area. Although the room I was allocated had issues, this was soon overcome with a free upgrade to a better room. I appreciated the Duty Managers help regarding the issues raised as he had not been made aware until I reported same. I visited the Regency Spice Indian Restaurant which is less than a 5 minute walk away from the hotel who serve traditional meals at affordable prices. Breakfast next morning at the hotel was to The Rockford's usual high standard with everything prepared fresh.

Nothing , it is a very good hotel and I book as often as I can.

Well run, easy to park, very hospitable. Lovely rooms, good breakfast..my favourite hotel in the area...but don’t tell everyone ! I might not be able to book. !!

• Executive Double Room

The lack of selection of teas at breakfast Eggs only come fried Poor signal so some TV channels were unavailable

The lady who greeted/served us at breakfast was very friendly

• Executive Double Room

Having stayed there on a number of occasions and also had our daughters wedding there, it is now looking a bit tired and needs updating. Having also been told there was a function (wedding) there on the night we were staying we were given the option to cancel. Having had our daughters wedding there a number of years ago we knew that the noise would not bother us. Unfortunately the wedding guests that were also staying obviously didn’t know how to close the bedroom doors without letting them slam every 10 / 15 mins. Other than that it was fine. Not really the hotels fault.

The location to facilities in the town.

• Standard Single Room

Helpful staff, Comfortable room and good non-cooked breakfast (I don't eat 'cooked breakfast' so it was a pleasure to find that there were lots of other choices.)

• Executive Suite

Amazing hotel and amazing massive room Executive suite. Lady in reception 5 stars. Thanks for dinner recommendation (skewers). Good breakfast. Young male waiter bit rude with attitude. Apart from that 5 stars

• Standard Single Room

Guests of wedding were partying to almost 3 am im bedrooms.Kids running around screaming in corridors unsupervised at 7.40 am in morning.Guests coming down for breakfast in their PYJAMAS and sitting in the lobby in their pjs and smoking outside in their pjs .....

Rooms where clean.Breakfadt was fine.Staff really nice.

• Standard Single Room

Could’ve papered the walls with the breakfast porridge! Everything else on the menu looked good though - tiny gripe that wouldn’t put me off staying again.

Comfy bed, friendly staff, comfortably furnished hotel a few minutes walk from the station. Great alternative for the airport, would definitely stay again.

Comfortable hôtel in a old attractive building, well decorated. The room was rather small, but sufficient and very cosy, as we like ! We will come back in this hôtel the next time we visit the area.

The customer service was exceptional will definitely recommend this hotel to everyone the house keepers were so so friendly and helpful the Rochford hotel is immaculate visit recommended

• Executive Double Room

It can be quite noisy around the front early morning.

Well done bacon for my partner. Nice cosy atmosphere. Bedrooms are gorgeous! Big bed and big bath!

• Standard Single Room

Requires double glazing the noise outside the hotel till early hours and a motorbike using the throttle making a real noise. It would have been nice when booking the hotel (not a few days before) that they had a function on restricting access to the bar and garden areas.

We especially liked the friendliness of the staff. It was nice to be greeted with a smiling face and people with manners.

My one and "only" comment is that although only one set of stairs and no lift it’s a lot of suitcase lugging if you have several bags.. but I am sure if one were to ask .. a friendly member of staff would help!

Easy parking,spacious rooms,light and airy, good breakfasts, friendly staff. My number one preferred Hotel in the area.

No my room there wasn't a mirror on the wall in the bedroom area. There was in my daughters and granddaughters. Not a fault however it was a shame there was a wedding on as we were unable to use the downstairs area. The noise was not a problem. My key card stopped working and my daughter had to run up and down the stairs to sort it out for me. I was not the only person who had this problem.

The staff were extremely polite and helpful. The room for a single person was very large. The room that was classed as a double was very comfortable.

• Executive Double Room

The decor was rather dated, a panel off the bathroom wall at the end of the bath. Shower did not work. Burn mark or stain on the bedroom carpet.

The location suited my needs.

Personally I would prefer a breakfast mug not a small teacup but this is so minor! Had to make numerous trips across the room to refill cup!

The English breakfast was perfectly cooked and just the right size, very enjoyable. Would recommend.

Not much really.

I don't write critical reviews, but I don't often write positive ones either! On this occasion I'm pleased to make an exception. This was definitely one of the best value hotels I've stayed in for years; it was half the price of the chains just a few miles down the road in Southend, and it was friendly, comfortable and convenient. I had a very large room with a large comfy bed where everything worked. This isn't always the case! And an excellent freshly cooked English breakfast both days.

The bathroom was looking a bit tired, but overall it was clean.

Very competitive price. Beds were comfortable and rooms a good size. Staff were very friendly.

No restaurant.

Really good breakfast. Friendly staff. Bed was so comfortable. Room clean and had everything we needed. Nice restaurants and pubs near by.

• Executive Suite

Breakfast could be improved.

Clean room. Very comfortable bed. Breakfast average. Pleasant staff . Gym appeared very good but unused by us due to time limits. Hotel location and parking very convenient.

the staff where very helpful very friendly room was very comfortable will use this hotel again would recommend to others brilliant nights sleep on a very comfortable bed well laid out hotel

• Standard Single Room

Location was perfect in a quiet little village. Staff were informative and polite and the facilities were faultless, good parking spaces and wifi was good also.

• Standard Single Room

Bed dipped in the middle a bit & bathroom was freezing but it was a snowy day

Reception staff were welcoming & friendly. It was a snowy day when i arrived & staff kindly put the heating in my room ahead of my arrival. Veggie brekkie was top!

The Brasserie/Bar snacks were poor - not very hot and of poor quality. The breakfast arrangements were good but again the food was not hot enough.

The room was clean and reasonably well appointed. The bed was comfortable and drinking water was provided.

• Standard Single Room

The Lady at reception was very welcoming & very generous with her advice of the local area , Great breakfast , clean & comfortable rooms , will stay again, thank you

Burnt scrambled eggs.....

We have stayed there before, so knew it was good. We arrived after a heavy snowfall and it was so warm and welcoming. Central in the town for shops/eating out. On the main route to Southend and the airport. Only problem is the entrance to the carpark is a bit confusing.

• Standard Single Room

Excellent value for money. Clean, comfortable and had everything you would need for a stay. Also in a great location near to the train station. Cannot recommend enough.

the room we had this time(we have stayed here twice before) was not as clean and well presented as we have come to expect. It had the well used /shabby look about it. We wondered as we had booked it off a "deal" whether we were given a room that did not match the standards we had the previous two times we visited.

Good location with friendly and helpful staff. Breakfasts were good!

• Standard Single Room

The room was in need of refurbishment - carpet threadbare, poor lighting (old style incandescent bulbs), plug in basin faulty, Free WiFi had not even enough bandwidth to use the BBC News site.

The room was clean and the bed comfortable, though the pillows could have been thicker.

• Standard Single Room

I love staying at The Rochford Hotel as it is walking distance from the train station and I have got to know the staff reasonably well due to this being my fifth visit. I particularly like Sarah, the duty Manager. There is nothing false about her, which is great because we have very similar view points. She is honest and very hard working but is able to make time for everyone.

I asked whether it would be possible to get poached eggs rather than fried at breakfast but was told no. Not a big thing at all but did seem a bit strange. I also think only having breakfast available from 8-9am on a Sunday morning is a bit limiting. Other than that, all good.

My partner has lots of allergies and often has problems when staying in hotels. Because this one was very clean, we had no problems at all! I also liked that breakfast was included.

We had a minor brush with Sunday morning breakfast, turns out it is only served between 0830-0930 and we were just told on arrival breakfast from 0830 and didn't read the key card folder...so no Sunday morning lie in at this hotel, although they rustled up a breakfast for us when we turned up at 0945 after a slight hesitation.

It was nice to be contacted by the hotel to be warned there was a function on the night we stayed, it didn't matter because we were out but in any event our room, though on the ground floor, was well insulated and comfortable. Really nice room, comfortable bed.

On arriving to the hotel after our 6 hrs journey there was no parking. We checked in and was advised access to the bar was off limits due to a private function. We notified the hotel we were not advised. The receptionist checked and apologised. We took our luggage to our room and ventured into Southend to find good food. As it was late there were few places open. When we returned to the hotel the party was in full swing with teens falling about the lobby and music blarring. We tried to get some sleep, however this proved difficult so we visited reception where we were advised that we could leave with a partial refund or stay until the morning. As it was midnight and we did not know the area we had little choice of other hotels therefore popped back to the room. As a result we would not stay there again.

Room was clean and breakfast adequate. Me and my partner thought it was great that the hotel had parking, bar and quiet location.

Not applicable . An observation was that the room number 15 was mis-spelt spelling Fithteen on the door. That caused no problems just mild amusement.

Good value. It was clean and tidy. The staff were polite and professional. The hotel had no thrills but that's what I wanted. A nice breakfast sent us on our way.

The breakfast, Full English was a slight let down on the amount of grease. Could have been reduced by grilling rather then frying. Only a small point.

New clean rooms, great staff and relaxed

Our heating didn’t work at first so we had to request a heater, the bath plug didn’t work so we had to shower in cold water from the evening before, there was a stain on the wall, we smelt damp and there was a 18th birthday party downstairs with music very loud not allowing us to sleep till gone 12 when it stopped.

The staff were friendly and the bed was very comfortable.

• Executive Suite

General lack of maintance and attention to detail. Example no breakfast menus and no jug for the milk. Bath in room 3 had small areas of mould, simple to fix.

Room 3 is massive and right need door to the very small gym room.

The extractor fan in the bathroom didn't work. All the pillows were as flat as a pancake and we were told they had nothing better.

staff were very friendly and the breakfast was much better than expected.

Being rushed at breakfast Sunday morning 8.30-9.30 Went into breakfast 9.20am ordered full English couldn’t have anything after as all taken away so missed out on croissants or toast !!! Taken away at 9.45am very disappointed

Comfortable bed

Nice hotel with comfortable rooms and a lovely breakfast. Very friendly, helpful staff. Within walking distance of good restaurants, shops and the train station. The entrance to the hotel was hard to find as the street address seemed to be the street at the back of the hotel where there was no entry and there was minimal parking.

• Executive Double Room

The car park is very small. There is a public car park adjacent to it but it isn't free to residents. Some might be put off by the odd plane coming in to land at Southend Airport but it really didn't bother us at all.

The room was sizeable and clean and tidy. It looks quite modern. The bed is huge and the shower unit is very good with high pressure and easy to work mixer taps. Breakfast was very good, the standard full English was cooked well and there was plenty of cereals, yoghurt or pastries should they be preferred.

• Standard Single Room

Dining options in the hotel are limited to a snack menu although this isn't really a problem due to other choices offsite nearby

Really peaceful, quiet independent hotel. Very welcoming and friendly staff. Some dining options available and a licensed bar onsite. The rooms were comfortable and warm with everything required. Located close to some pubs / restaurants / takeaways and a Sainsbury's local

• Standard Single Room

Very noisy due to the hotel near Airport Plus traffic on the road.

Breakfast was very good ,lots of variety. I had the full English,and can recommend it.

Decor is looking tired and battered in room 7. Could do with door stop behind door

The wet room rather than a bulk standard bathroom . Bed was massive too. Lovely included breakfast.

I didn’t like the fact that there wasn’t a proper bannister. I have to hold one and was there wasn’t suitable to hold on to. The bar area was very dark due to the colour of the paint. These are things that xan easily be changed

The bed was very comfortable and I liked the interior design in the bedroom with the decor

• Standard Single Room

I always enjoy staying here when in the Rayleigh or Southend area as all the staff are always welcoming. It's nice when you get to know people's names through regular visits. Once again a comfortable stay. For those who wish to venture out there is what I refer to as a "proper" pub in Rochford known as The Golden Lion which may be found by turning right out of the hotel, walking past the excellent Indian Restaurant to the top of the road, turn left and the pub is a very short distance on the left hand side. (I reviewed the Indian restaurant in a previous write up).

• Standard Single Room

The only problem i had with the room was that there was no bedside light and the light switches could not be reached from the bed.

Lots of hot water. Nice breakfast.

Breakfast let the stay down. Had to keep asking for either top up of juices Utensils eg: dishes for cereal Poor selection of fruit, cakes.

Cleanliness location comfort

The extractor in the bathroom didn't seem to work and the bathroom became a bit steamed up.

Great place to stay. Very nice and the staff were very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was lovely and relaxed. The rooms are very nice and a good size. Very quiet and we had a peaceful undisturbed nights sleep.

• Executive Double Room

Bathroom very clean but needed a bit of attention to detail - paintwork a little tired. Breakfast great but would be good to have a teapot rather than just cups. For guests with electric vehicles a charging point would be an excellent addition.

Staff very friendly and attentive. Excellent breakfast. Good location for our purpose. Room comfortable.

Not a lot!

Staff were very welcoming and were problem solvers not jobs worth. Recommend a great India restaurant. Lovely room comfortable bed. Reasonable price. Would stay again. 👌💯

• Standard Single Room

Few small details in the rooms could do with sorting like tiling and flooring in the bathroom but this is nit picking. Generally a great hotel.

Clearly trying hard and very good value I will be back.

• Standard Single Room

Arrived to be told there was a private party on so no bar. Pretty chaotic next morning as cleaning up function area.

Parking was convenient and room was clean.

• Executive Double Room

The toilet seat wouldn't stay up as the shelf behind was built too far out for the seat to stay up for my husband, but that was the only complaint.

The breakfast was excellent, the room a very good size, the bed very comfortable & everywhere vey clean & tidy.

Only thing I didn't like was scrambled eggs at breakfast, made in microwave and very bland, but rest of breakfasts were very good.

Bed very comfortable, staff very helpful, location was a little tricky to find with sat nav but not far out. Good location, walking distance to pubs and eateries. Breakfast good. Good value for money.

Hotel was a bit jaded - good paint job required. We had an evening meal at the bar - menus in bedrooms were out of date to the ones supplied. Decided lack of staff especially at breakfast and we had to ask for cereal bowls, water and orange juice.

Easy to get to and cost reasonable

room was very tired and in need of decoration, electric heater was very noisy and hard to regulate

convenient for the airport and town centre facilities

• Executive Double Room

Staff really lovely and remembered us from our wedding 5 years previous. Breakfast was lovely so much to chose from and very quick Beautiful clean room

• Executive Double Room

Limited parking close to the hotel (though you'll always find somewhere to park and the staff are very very helpful), bed was a little bit old and the room was a bit dark.

Friendly staff, good location and nice breakfast.

Bath shower is fed from bath taps and difficult to hold the shower spray away while adjusting the temperature. Bathroom skirting board needs redecorating. The bar surface by the pillar was a little grubby and when the bar shutter was pulled down the outside edge was dirty.

The bed was comfy.

• Standard Single Room

As it was a wedding reception I attended unfortunately the parking was limited but on the good side as it was a Sunday the Public Car Park adjacent to the premises was Free on Sunday!

Bed was fine, facilities in the room good, heating, linen I.e. towels and bathroom very good all clean and pristine. Television fine too.

• Standard Single Room

The service at breakfast was slow and could have been much better given how few people were breakfasting at that time. I also had to fill the bath with the shower head as there was no means to switch to the tap that was installed.

The place was well decorated and very clean. I slept very well in the room.

Our room was near the entrance so didn't sleep very well in the morning as we could hear people walking past

Good location, well kept, good breakfast and great value for money

We were attending a local funeral, so as you can appreciate not a happy experience. However the staff were efficient and helpful, the facilities clean. Local places to eat within easy walking distance. Would use again.

The lady serving breakfast on the morning of Friday 14th July was quite possibly one of the rudest people we have ever had the misfortune to meet. We came down for breakfast at 8.45am (breakfast is from 7am til 9am) we were immediately told by a relative that the lady serving breakfast was in a really bad mood due to staff shortages. We soon experienced this for ourselves, her attitude was appalling she was very aggressive towards us. My husband immeadiately reported her attitude to the receptionist, who addressed it with the lady in question. From then on she was overly, and innapropriately communicative which we found really false & cloying, this continued at checkout when she pretended to be really friendly and helpful in front of the receptionist who we had reported her too at breakfast. We were not impressed and she really spoilt our otherwise wonderful stay.

We had a really great time check in staff were exemplary & knowledgeable. The house keeping staff were also fabulous and made sure two of our rooms were available by 12 noon (we were attending a wedding that started at 1.30pm) they were SO oblighing. I thanked them personally. We had booked 6 rooms at The Rochford Hotel for a family wedding. The rooms were all spotless too.

• Executive Double Room

The toilet kept getting blocked and wouldn't flush. Bathroom could do with an upgrade, and shower was powerful but not very high - not good if you are taller than 5ft 5. The tv wall socket for the ariel wasn't safe either. Didn't realise how close the airport was so planes taking off at 6am Sunday did wake me up. Need better directions for finding the hotel, and alternative car parks.

Room was large and clean.

• Executive Suite

Ours was an executive room and was grand . Everything was good and tidy . We would recommend the place and would go again to stay there if we go anywhere near the place again .. cheers 👍😊

• Executive Double Room

The room was stuffy even though we had the windows wide open and the cartons of milk for the in room tea making facilities were 'off'

Large room with king size bed, lovely powerful shower well situated for railway station and the Freight House where we were attending a wedding reception

• Executive Double Room

No lift and did not see this mentioned on hotel description: with limited mobility stairs were very difficult. Reserved booking on American Express, but when paying they require an extra 3% which was not made clear beforehand. Sunday breakfasts are only served between 8.30 am and 9.30 am and I observed milk, juices and pastries not being replenished after 9.15 am. Room OK but toilet situated far to close to the wall and door. Shutters on windows very attractice,however did not keep the early morning sun out.

Room was OK - had an executive double. Breakfast cooked to order if you can make the restricted times.

• Executive Double Room

Parking, sometimes car park full/cars parked badly (could be avoided by painting spaces?) shower curtain not sufficient to stop water (even when taking all the advised precautions).

Good size of room. Friendly and helpful staff. Good breakfast.

• Reviewed: 23 June 2017

Although we asked for a ground floor room overlooking the car park, we would have liked a proper shower rather than a disabled shower, having said that the room was very nice and the actual bathroom was enormous.

We have been coming to this hotel for a few years now to visit relations, and have always had a comfortable stay, with a good breakfast, the staff are polite, friendly and very helpful.

Banging of doors - probably the front door. Breakfast: Young male member of staff has no customer service skills - no smile, no welcome (ie "Good morning." It doesn't take much!

Convenient, clean, and unpretentious. Enjoyed the Engish breakfast and other selections.

Not a large car park on site but public car park near by.

We stayed in an executive bedroom which was a good size and the bed was comfortable. All areas were clean and tidy. Good cooked breakfast. Friendly staff. The hotel is close to Southend Airport for those who have flights booked from there. We were visiting a friend who lived in Rochford for a birthday celebration.

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

Noise from reception and bar area. Noise of banging front inner door all the time, esp at night. Parking was bad.

Location was good as I was born in Rochford and like to go back. Room was good. A little noisy as near reception and lounge bar.

We found the staff very friendly and welcoming and our room was clean with a very comfortable bed. Breakfast( full English) was very tasty! We will certainly be back and will recommend to our friends.