2. UK hotel reviews
  3. Glamorgan hotel reviews
  4. Cardiff hotel reviews
  5. Reviews of Clayton Hotel Cardiff

Reviews of Clayton Hotel Cardiff This rating is a reflection of how the property compares to the industry standard when it comes to price, facilities and services available. It's based on a self-evaluation by the property. Use this rating to help choose your stay!

St Mary Street, Cardiff, CF10 1GD, United Kingdom

#9 of 50 hotels in Cardiff

Read more– opens a dialog box

Disappointed

Our room was tiny and boiling as air-con not working!! my partner had to go down to reception early hours of morn to ask for a fan because we were sweating! windows do not open at all felt like there was no air. Also we were put on 8th floor when requested a lower floor because I have a phobia of lifts, when checked in we did explain this but staff were not helpful in this situation!

• Reviewed: February 18, 2019

Could hear the trains right by the track .

Could hear the trains right by the track . Bed wasn’t the comfiest not many pillows also breakfast was cold and seemed like it had been sitting there a while.

• Reviewed: February 18, 2019

A very comfortable stay and an excellent location

The room we were initially given was sub standard but this was promptly resolved and we were upgraded immediately.

Our initial response to the room we were given was very disappointing .we explained to reception and immediately upgraded which was perfect . Reception apologised and we were very happy with the service .Breakfast was superb

• Reviewed: February 17, 2019

Good location and value for money but not perfect.
    • Double Room with Extra Bed

Room either too cold or too hot. Air con not great. Also standard room small for 3 of us. It was difficult to fill kettle under tap in bathroom as sink so small!

Good customer service. Our room wasn't ready so we we given another one to save waiting.

Clean, location was great
    • Family Room

There's no parking at the hotel only an unsecure car park across the road that you pay £12.50 for and don't get reimbursed by the hotel

Clean, location was great

• Reviewed: February 17, 2019

Very enjoyable. Would stay again when in Cardiff.
    • Double Room - Disability Access

We’re informed we’d have washroom facilities & not a bath. Which wasn’t an issue. However the washroom was facilitated for the disabled. I’m 6ft 4 and kneeling to shower & use sink wasn’t appropriate.

Location, cleanliness & especially staff were excellent.

Pleasant

Shower wasn’t very good Bed wasn’t great, could do with being updated. Card keys don’t work on the lifts/stair well so didn’t feel particularly secure although they did have a security guard

Location was ideal, easy to get to/ car park and train station near by. Clean, staff were discreet but there if you needed them.

That it was so close to Mary st and the complimentary cookies

I came here 2 years ago and was given a room which was a decent size and had a good view over the city, this prompted me to stay again. This time it was a crap box room with a terrible view and the smallest bathroom known to man. Take a look for yourself, room 319. Tell me if you would be happy with this room after paying £120. £120 for 1 night for this room is an absolute rip off. Staff are ok I understand there’s not much they can but nothing special. Unfortunately I will not be coming here again. May as well have stayed in the travel lodge across the road and saved myself money.

That it was so close to Mary st and the complimentary cookies

• Reviewed: February 16, 2019

Nice, comfortable, and convenient

After using the shower the bathroom left off a weird smell. Paid a lot more than what was needed

The bed was comfortable, slept well. The room was spacious.

• Reviewed: February 15, 2019

Love the hotel every other time I’ve stayed but this 1 was really bad I’m so gutted
    • Double Room - Disability Access

I asked to a room which wasn’t facing the railway track. I asked for a top floor room but I ended up with a disability room which was facing the railway track and was only on the 4th floor..

Location of the hotel

• Reviewed: February 14, 2019

Good location, but overall disappointing. Won't stay there again.
    • Family Room

Error on the Trivago search options meant we were expecting Guest Parking. This is not the case and nearest parking is approx 5-10min walk away and at least £10 a night. Not handled at all well by staff/manager, who could see/acknowledge the error but made no attempt to resolve or compensate. Also the walk from the nearest car park to the hotel passes a homeless camp literally a stone's throw from the front door, which while sad to see, does not give the best initial impression.

Location is the main advantage for the hotel. Smaller-than-expected family room was comfortable, clean and adequate. Breakfast was ok, but not as good as reported by other previous guests/reviews.

• Reviewed: February 13, 2019

Convenient. Great staff.

If you like total silence then you may not like this hotel

Right next to Cardiff Central station. Easy to get into town. Great service from the staff.

• Reviewed: February 12, 2019

Apart from the highlighted we were happy and will book the hotel again in the futurem

The room was very cold, heating didn't work, was given a portable little heater in the end. Also there were only two pillows for the two of us. The menu didn't indicate if the lamb shank was cooked with alcohol, my husband do not touch or drink alcohol. The chef accepted the responsibility and compensated us by not paying for our drinks. Only one lift functioning but it very slow.

Very very clean, comfortable bed, excellent location. Brilliant staff.

• Reviewed: February 12, 2019

Good hotel in excellent location for cen

Hash browns and fried eggs on offer at breakfast, but the breakfast was good just being picky

Staff so friendly and helpful and the arrival free welcome drink

• Reviewed: February 11, 2019

Adequate. Breakfast was the highlight of my stay.
    • Family Room

The lighting in the bathroom was appalling - very dimly lit with only one light above the mirror which wasn't bright enough for doing make up in the morning. This was compounded by the fact that the lamp on the desk/dressing table was also not working so my options were very limited for having a well it space in the room. I ended up working on my computer in bed in order to have a bright enough light for seeing. In contrast, the light in the hall was very bright outside the room and it woke me up when it came on early morning as the light seeped under the door right into the bedroom. The hotel was dated and could do with an upgrade. There weren't enough staff on check in or check out to facilitate an efficient process at either end.

Breakfast was of a high quality. The hotel met my request for a quiet room although with only one lift working, it took a while to get up to the 8th floor upon check in. The room was a good size and the room temperature was comfortable.

• Reviewed: February 10, 2019

The area was very good short walk from the train station and...
    • Double Room with Extra Bed

Was way over priced the rooms were very basic and the beds were uncomfortable, bathrooms very small and dark with just the one light over the mirror. You can hear everything that’s going on in the hotel from the lift just down the hall to the other guest. Breakfast is very over priced it’s worth just walking 5 mins down the road and getting a breakfast for less then £5

The area was very good short walk from the train station and good for shopping trips. Couldn’t hear anything from the outside you won’t even think the train tracks ran right past the hotel

• Reviewed: February 10, 2019

Amazing location, so close to everything we needed and very...
    • Family Room

He hotel was quite warm, even turning the heat right down, it would be nice to have some natural ventilation

Amazing location, so close to everything we needed and very good value for money.

• Reviewed: February 8, 2019

Was ok

Room we were in on very top floor was quiet small nothing like the photos advertised!

It’s was very central to everything you need! Lovely clean hotel!

• Reviewed: February 5, 2019

I like the bed and pillows very comfy
    • Family Room

There was no area where a car can access directly to the hotel . So you have to push your bags to a parking lot which is far .

I like the bed and pillows very comfy

• Reviewed: February 5, 2019

Night away

Wasn't too keen on the breakfast (help youself - was a tad on the cold side and not a huge selection on the cooked side of things) but the kindness and courtesy of the staff cetainly made up for it!

My partner actually booked a cot but needed an extra bed instead. Not a bother at all to change - so helpful. Not first stay and won't be the last!

• Reviewed: February 4, 2019

Breakfast was good.

We were on the executive floor so were expecting a nicer room. It was small and bathrobes provided were hard and uncomfortable.

Breakfast was good. Staff were friendly. Great location. Bed was comfy and room was clean.

• Reviewed: February 3, 2019

Staff brilliant, helpful and friendly .
    • Double Room with Extra Bed

Phone wasn’t working in room. Had to use my phone to call down for room service ( ordered pizza, told 20 mins but waited for an hour by which time kids were too tired to eat it as was almost 11pm by time arrived ). Tv was intermittent. Kept going to no signal so gave up in the end

Staff brilliant, helpful and friendly . Hotel Clean. Beds really comfy. ( although double was a little small. Prefer king) brekkie was fab, although hit food was a bit cold.

• Reviewed: February 3, 2019

Great stay in central Cardiff

Hotel was quite noisy in the middle of the night as youngsters got back to their rooms after a night out.

Fantastic room with great view over Cardiff. Excellent breakfast. Location.

• Reviewed: February 2, 2019

Ok for one night stay in city centre
    • Executive Twin Room

There were few issue such as 1) the baby cot bed we requested din room was inadequate it was dirty and ripped I asked for replacement and it wasn’t any better. 2) check out there was only one person working and waited for 15 minutes before I can check in even though I called in advance and I asked them if they can already charge my card so I can have quick check in as i was coming in later in evening. 3) Too many loud drunks it was noisy don’t stay in room 1010 near lift. 4) upon arrival our room bin still had a can of beer in it I guess it was not emptied properly.

Comfertable bed in executive room. Good buffet breakfast

• Reviewed: February 1, 2019

Love this hotel and have stayed here many times. Shame we didn’t enjoy the room as we have in the p
    • Executive Double Room

Executive room was for disabled guests which we are not. Bed was very small. Bedroom was exceptionally hot

Mostly everything. Shower was fab and the room extremely spotless

• Reviewed: January 31, 2019

I thought the lady called Lianne was lovely.

There was confusion on arrival to hotel with my booking and the cost. It was awkward as I didn’t want my son to here about the cake ,balloons and wine in the room for his birthday. It was sorted but not a good start to our stay.

I thought the lady called Lianne was lovely. She dealt with the booking and sorted the extras for my sons birthday. Very good service.

• Reviewed: January 31, 2019

Handy location, but plenty of much better alternatives
    • Family Room

Room was very, very cold and didn't really warm up until next morning despite being given a plug in heater. Single check-in staff at peak time who spent at least 10 mins on the phone and was unable to check people in, a second member of staff did eventually saunter up to the check-in desk with no urgency and no apology. TV remote control didn't work. Previous occupiers slipper left behind the curtain - cleaning staff clearly don't lift up the curtains to clean.

handy location

• Reviewed: January 30, 2019

Lovely
    • Family Room

The Reception staff were great - Especially Chris (Hopefully I have his name right) He was so welcoming and on our departure asked how we got on throughout the night and whether we had a lovely time, where we went etc.. just seemed to have an interest. Loved how close t was to everything. We didn't get bothered. Was a nice stay!

• Reviewed: January 30, 2019

Served purpose and good price

Bread rolls for breakfast with cheeses althogh I might have missed it

No check in queue. Patient reception. Security checking room numbers when we came back late at night - reassured.

• Reviewed: January 29, 2019

Great spot

Noise and music from outside was a little loud at times but only what you would expect in a city centre location.

Great Central location, walking distance of trains, bar, clubs and shops. Very clean and very friendly welcoming staff.

• Reviewed: January 28, 2019

Very pleasant
    • Double Room with Extra Bed

Think the breakfast was a little disappointing Bacon and sausage but stewed

Very clean room with plenty of tea and coffee Excellent towels and toiletries

• Reviewed: January 28, 2019

Excellent location, comfy beds and clean and tidy.
    • Family Room

The air conditioning didn’t really do a lot, and the room was extremely warm! Also we put the towels in the bath to have some new ones and they weren’t replaced.

Excellent location, comfy beds and clean and tidy.

• Reviewed: January 27, 2019

After realising that we’d been given a double room (2...

Nothing!!

After realising that we’d been given a double room (2 friends) Amina was fantastic at searching for a twin room for us by going to extra lengths as the hotel was fully booked. Her excellent customer did not go unnoticed! Thank you Amina :-)

• Reviewed: January 27, 2019

Looked better online

Room didn’t have a proper view just looked out onto a wall.

Great location, basically in the centre and surrounded by pubs, bars and shops so not far to walk at all, rooms very comfortable.

• Reviewed: January 25, 2019

Poor and disappointing
    • Double Room with Extra Bed

The carpet was dirty and the hotel is dated

Poor customer service the staff are clearly East European and can’t cope with any question that doesn’t fit the script ! If you ask for anything out of hours they treat u like a pariah !

• Reviewed: January 24, 2019

Overall great stay!

Didn't like the name checking when you came in at night security is good but very personal asking name and room number

Rooms and service at front desk was great.

• Reviewed: January 24, 2019

Everything else was perfect food last night and staff...

I arranged wake up call 08.00 so I could relax have breakfast but the wake up call was 16 minutes late so I had to have a rushed breakfast which wasn't then really value for money

Everything else was perfect food last night and staff especially the dark haired foreighn lady was superb

• Reviewed: January 20, 2019

Overpriced for what was offered the
    • Executive Twin Room

Small room fot an executive suite, exteras such as deluxe toiletries & stocked fridge where only for two people when paid for three

Nice breakfast

• Reviewed: January 20, 2019

Amazing central location right by the train station and in...
    • Family Room

Was not told about the £100 security deposit per room, put on the spot on checking in. Strong smell of weed in the corridors. Two of the rooms had issues with room cards which although resolved quickly, could’ve been avoided.

Amazing central location right by the train station and in walking distance of anything you’d need. Friendly staff. Clean rooms.

• Reviewed: January 20, 2019

Having stayed at this property several times in the past I...

Upon checking in the woman Helena would not let me check in without identification, this has NEVER been a requirement for me in the past and Never have I been asked for it. She was quite rude and I felt she was looking down her nose. Also the air con wasn’t working and they were only controlling it from down stairs later did we find out.

Having stayed at this property several times in the past I have no complaints. I love the location, the efficiency of staff, the rooms and service.

• Reviewed: January 19, 2019

Location is great for central Cardiff.

Small thing, but could do with instructions for the coffee machine etc.

Location is great for central Cardiff. Staff were helpful and hotel clean and comfy.

• Reviewed: January 19, 2019

Definitely going to use again and request a high floor room (I stayed on floor 9)
    • Double Room with Extra Bed

Upon check in the reception staff was very welcoming and friendly. The room was spacious and would definitely recommend a high floor room for the views. The bathroom was very big but could do with some heating in there as the floor is tiled and very cold first thing in the morning. Slept very well as the bed was extremely comfy. Tea and coffee facilities are provided as well. The breakfast was very good. The selction was varied which included cereal, fruits, and cooked breakfast. I would highly recommend this hotel and will definitely be staying here again.

• Reviewed: January 19, 2019

Clean room and friendly staff excellent central location.

On there website it says that they do cocktails in the bar ,when we aaked they do not only a small thing but frustrating

Clean room and friendly staff excellent central location. Good breakfast in the morning as well

Location was perfect, staff lovely

Carpets were dirty and scruffy looking, no shampoo, had 2 conditioners? No extractor fan in bathroom. Awful view of bird pooh out of our window.

Location was perfect, staff lovely

• Reviewed: January 18, 2019

Very enjoyable
    • Double Room - Disability Access

Being a coeliac I would like to see gluten free biscuits and non-dairy milk in the room and even though I was able to get non-dairy milk from the dining room, I was unable to get any gluten free snacks.

Bed was very comfortable, Breakfast choice was excellent and staff throughout the hotel were extra helpful

• Reviewed: January 18, 2019

The bed was very comfortable and the room was very clean.
    • Family Room

The breakfast wasn't very exciting - the only gluten free option was cornflakes.

The bed was very comfortable and the room was very clean. The staff were also friendly.

• Reviewed: January 17, 2019

A good night's stay
    • Double Room with Extra Bed

A little warm in the room even with the air-conditioning on but wasn't terrible

Clean rooms, friendly staff, good location. We had an internal room which meant it was quieter (apart for a couple of ladies who came back at 2 am but given the location it can't be helped). We went to see if we could leave a bag there at 11 and were kindly allowed to check in.

• Reviewed: January 16, 2019

We had to pay a £100 deposit for our rooms and were told it...
    • Family Room

We had to pay a £100 deposit for our rooms and were told it will be refunded if no damages were done, every room was left 100% and i have not received our deposits.

• Reviewed: January 16, 2019

Perfect for all.
    • Family Room

Air-conditioning wasn't that effective.

Super comfortable beds, fabulous breakfast choices and great value. Room service was excellent as was the restaurant and cafe/bar. Staff were friendly, helpful and professional. Would definitely stay here again and recommend to all.

• Reviewed: January 15, 2019

Absolutely loved the staff, they were all so friendly even...
    • Double Room with Extra Bed

Absolutely loved the staff, they were all so friendly even just in passing, there was a blonde woman on the front desk at arrival (14/1) and she really set the bar high. Absolutely loved the hotel

• Reviewed: January 14, 2019

Beds size aren't like pics
    • Executive Double Room

Booked a superior double executive,and had the tinest double bed we slept on .....not fair when you are paying extra....

Seems that superior doubles just include coffee machines in rooms and city views...small double bed

• Reviewed: January 14, 2019

Great location for short stay

Ice machine adjacent to room was extremely loud. Went to breakfast a little later than usual and found not much available.

Great location with lots of restaurants/bars near by. 2 minute walk from the train station. Front desk team were v.helpful and friendly. Good sized room with quiet air conditioning. Easy to access Wifi no need for long signing in processes.

Enjoyable 😁Great location and good price for New Year's

View from room overlooked train station The AC in room not working properly General cleanliness of lifts and public area below par

Room request for higher floor Also ready to check in upon arrival Friendly staff in all departments

• Reviewed: January 13, 2019

Good value choice for Cardiff City Centre

Fruit juice at breakfast was disappointing. Could have done with a larger duvet on bed.

Breakfast choice was good, particularly the fruit. Excellent location and station car park only a couple of hundred yards behind hotel.

• Reviewed: January 13, 2019

We were very rudely told by managment to keep the noise down.

We were very rudely told by managment to keep the noise down. Granted we were being a bit loud but it was 6pm on a Saturday evening. The manager knocked abruptly told us to quieten down. We then closed the door and went back to our conversation to find him knocking again because he had waited outside and listened to our conversation.

• Reviewed: January 12, 2019

Ideal location in the middle of the city, 5 minute walk to...

No onsite parking, although parking not far away.

Ideal location in the middle of the city, 5 minute walk to shop etc in centre of city. Room was tidy, very comfortable bed.

• Reviewed: January 12, 2019

Room was good.

Room was good. Excellent location within the City Centre plus it's a short walk from Cardiff Central train station. Friendly staff. Great value for money.

• Reviewed: January 11, 2019

Great location and wonderful staff make this a fabulous stay!

The water pressure could have been a little better but I hate to quibble. The staff, location, and comfort of the room more than made up for this minor inconvenience.

This was a lovely stay. The staff is very friendly and helpful, the location to the train station could not have been better--literally steps away. The hotel is an easy walk to all the sights (Castle) and restaurants and it was convenient to get to Cardiff's main attraction, Sain Fagan's Museum by bus.

• Reviewed: January 10, 2019

Would recommend for cheap business stay, but expected a little more.

Hotel a little tired and almost grubby in parts. Rooms quite tired and will soon be in need of renovation.

Good staff and location. Small but adequete fitness suite. Good breakfast.

• Reviewed: January 10, 2019

Ok only - not inspired to return.

Dried up items on cooked breakfast bar, not the best ! Poor choice of fresh fruit & pastry items

Parking advertised which made me book it but only public parking available. Disappointing & made stay more expensive than competitor hotels!

• Reviewed: January 9, 2019

Fantastic stay well worth going very happy with the hotel

Our room was fantastic and beautiful the only thing I would of changed we had a view over looking the train station ... which we did hear in the night not loud but we both light sleepers . I would ask for a room at the front of the property next time .. but even if I wasn given the same room I still take it as we had a lovely stay there

We had a lovely stay. The rooms was clean and modern. The breakfast was lovely and the staff was friendly

• Reviewed: January 7, 2019

LOCATION BRILLIANT FOR CARDIFF NIGHTLIFE

NOTHING, PROBABLY WOULD HAVE LIKED A ROOM WITH A VIEW BUT GOOD ALL THE SAME.

AS USUAL A1 SERVICE. STAYED HERE THREE TIMES BEFORE AND ALWAYS GREAT. BREAKFAST IS FANTASTIC. ROOMS VERY COMFORTBLE. FRIENDLY RECEPTION STAFF, CLEAN WELCOMING AND IDEAL FOR LOCAL BARS AND RESTAURANTS. GOOD NEARBY PARKING.

• Reviewed: January 6, 2019

clean and near Center .
    • Double Room with Extra Bed

only issues the room was cold at sleeping time and call them few times to make it warmer . which didn't help.

clean and near Center . close to the 24 hours parking

• Reviewed: January 5, 2019

Quiet and Calm.

The pillows were very uncomfortable. Call me stubborn but I can't sleep with just one pillow, but sleeping with the two as provided gave me a sore neck the next morning; the pillows were TOO FULL. I couldn't get comfortable.

The room decor was very nice; modern and tasteful, which made me feel as if I was getting more value for money. Hotels of similar prices that I looked at were not as nice looking ! The pictures were very accurate also

• Reviewed: January 4, 2019

Clean, comfortable hotel in great location.

The hotel room was small which was surprising as this is my fourth time staying at this hotel but the first time the room has been small.

Great location, right outside Cardiff central train station with easy access to shops and Cardiff bay. Staff are friendly and helpful. Delicious breakfast with plenty of choice and kids breakfast was free!

• Reviewed: January 4, 2019

The young boy in the dining area was very polite at...

Breakfast was not very nice over cooked no fried eggs been in other big hotel s they seen to do this well

The young boy in the dining area was very polite at breakfast really nice manners and all the staff was friendly

• Reviewed: January 4, 2019

After telling the desk manager about room heating was not...

The heating system did not work on 1st nite roim was cold

After telling the desk manager about room heating was not not working . He then himself soeted the priblem by geting a new heater 4 room and when we got back in from a comd day of shoping the room was very warm many thanks

• Reviewed: January 3, 2019

The hotels standard of maintenance and cleaning are very poor

The check in and key card was a joke and had to be reprogrammed three times to then finally work . The tool was poorly cleaned room and in the three nights we were there the room wasn't hoovered . The bathroom door didn't shut properly and the shower head was partly broken the toilet at times would just keep running .

The restaurant and bar staff were amazing, so helpful and friendly . The food in the restaurant was perfect and the breakfast so good . The location was very helpful and ideal to explore

• Reviewed: January 3, 2019

Excellent hotel, would highly recommend.

No dislikes - everything was perfect!

Whole experience was superb; from the welcoming, helpful staff at check-in to the surprise when we saw how big our room was! Windows completely soundproof too so fab view of the city with none of the noise.

• Reviewed: January 3, 2019

Great central location especially as we were first time...
    • Double Room with Extra Bed

We would have preferred an option to open a window. Not the best being over the train track although the noise from the trains wasn't really loud. No hotel parking but nearest car park wasn't far (£12.50 for 24 hours). Would have liked a pool for child but that's being picky.

Great central location especially as we were first time visitors. Lovely friendly and helpful staff. Clean room and communal areas. Child loved the ice machine in the corridor.

• Reviewed: January 2, 2019

Comfortable night in Cardiff
    • Family Room

Lovely clean room. Had booked a family room as staying in Cardiff with my two daughters. I chose to include breakfast in my booking and was really pleased with the selection.

• Reviewed: January 1, 2019

Brilliant staff!
    • Double Room with Extra Bed

I took my partner away for one night for our two year anniversary and I asked Chris and Rihanna I believe their names were, how much it would cost for an upgrade. They gave us a room upgrade for free which exceeded my expectations. Brilliant staff (Rihanna and Chris) and a lovely hotel!

• Reviewed: January 1, 2019

Really poor experience

As above Aircon was poor, couldnt switch off. Bath was dirty, we washed prior to using. Bacon and beans Bacon was like cardboard, beans were cold Scrambled egg was the best

Air con was permanently on in room, Carpet was covered is dust prior to our stay Bath looked dirty Real shame as from the outside the hotel looks top class, inside did not reflect this. Bacon was like cardboard and beans were cold, scrambled egg was lovely tho.

• Reviewed: December 31, 2018

The staff who checked us in and out and staff on reception...

Our heating didn't work we did report it but it did not get resolved so our room was cold.

The staff who checked us in and out and staff on reception where all polite and helpful.

• Reviewed: December 31, 2018

Perfect
    • Family Room

This was nothing to fault.

I took my parents who were 80 and 85 to celebrate their birthday and the hotel and staff had a card and chocolates laid out on their bed upon arrival as a complimentary gift. My parents were so excited when they saw this. Many thanks to the hotel and staff for providing such a memorable stay.

We Price Match