Reviews of Malmaison Liverpool 4 stars

7 William Jessop Way, Liverpool, L3 1QZ, United Kingdom

#31 of 73 hotels in Liverpool

No parking, we parked across the street which was half price but would be nice to be parked closer and cheaper.

Very comfy beds and walk in shower was great

Clean & comfortable rooms and when traveling internationally, it was nice to have several electrical outlets and USB ports for recharging. Also, very helpful and knowledgeable staff.

• Double Room with River View

It would be better if they inform you in advance about the drinks that are in your hotel room that you have to pay for them before drinking them

The hotel is amazing I really recommend people to go there! The staff is amazing too and it is a nice location

• Twin Room with River View

Lighting, room always appeared dark and very grey

Beds we're comfortable, bathroom was beautifully decorated and very clean, room had all extras needed, iron, ironing board down to USB ports at side of bed to plug in iPhones etc

• Double Room with River View

There room did not have a Smart TV so the tv was limited to what channels there was or apps such as Netflix and YouTube which were not available it would improve the room.

Drink in the mini bar was out off date which I drank and didn't realise till I got too the end off the drink there was all thick brown stuff .. made me sick! Nothing has bin done about it either or an apology.

On our first night the air con didn’t work so the room was unbearably hot. However, when we notified reception the next morning they moved us to another room.

Room was nice and spacious with great bathroom facilities. Great location, just a short walk to Albert Docks and easy access to town

• Double Room with River View

The breakfast was very dry and the eggs were old eggs that the yolk had started to go black. We paid for an upgrade which said we still have a river view but we had a view of the building next to us. Disappointing.

Clean

The only thing I had fault with I found the room a bit dark. But definitely wouldn’t put me off staying there again.

The location of the Malmaison was great. Right near Albert Docks. I booked it as I was going to a gig at the Echo Arena. Again it was a perfect location. Staff were very friendly. I booked breakfast and it was lush. Would recommend the hotel to family and friends. Loved it

• Double Room with River View

The door was awkward to open and close- needs attention. The pillows need replacing as they were very floppy. The cost of parking was very expensive at £17 for 24 hours. It would be good if guests could have a lower rate.

The bed was very comfy. I liked the fact that you had a mini bar and a little snack bar and all of the pricing was available. I also thought there was a great view from our room. The toiletries are also great! The room was very clean.

• Double Room with River View

I didn’t like the tiny bed as my legs and feet we’re hanging out the bottom... Secondly the aircon was broke and was on full blast on heat all night and it wouldn’t turn off. The window wouldn’t open so felt like i was in a sauna!! I rang reception and he said nothing he can do about it..!!!!

The worst attitude on man behind the desk.. Twice i’ve stayed there when i’ve come from the airport and twice he has been so abrupt and snotty. First time I stayed he put me and my partner in 2 single beds when i booked a double.. Second time he’s put us in a disabled room!!!

• Double Room with River View

Staff at dinner on first night very slow and inattentive. Underneath of toilet seat in en -suite very dirty. Mini-bar not stocked properly compared with list.

Quiet location with nice view up the Mersey. Staff on the whole very friendly particularly after a booking.com cock-up in the booking process. Food tasty.

It was quite expensive considering I booked it a good while ago. I would definitley go back if it was that bit cheaper.

Everything was clean. Everything was comfortable. The staff wore amazing to both me and my girlfriend. There all very friendly and affectionate. They would make you come back and visit Liverpool again.

Lobby and bar both very cold - too much air con. Rooms very small even though upgraded to superior - gloomy 80’s style decor with far too much black furniture and too little space.

The location - right on the docks, very peaceful and spacious

Not much going on at the hotel but good position for exploring local area.

Friendly staff, good English speaking staff and great recommendations on request. Good value for money. Great for a relaxed short break but need a car.

Upgraded ‘superior’ room was a disappointment - very small and completely full of 1980’s style black furniture. Promised chill out area was two tub chairs wedged between the bed and the window. Very odd arrangement of loo + shower area; loo seat loose and cistern not working properly. Hopeless cocktails and menu + bar items out of stock. Mal seems to me to have lost its Mojo which is a shame because it used to be a really nice offer.

I liked the location and the main lobby particularly the spectacular mural - but both public spaces (Lobby and Bar) were far too cold with over-enthusiastic air-con

• Double Room with River View

Bar prices were extortionate.

The Hotel was very modern with very nice rooms and was very quiet at night. The hotel staff were helpful and friendly and the car park is ideally located opposite the entrance. nice views over the river from our room too.

Disappointed in bath, still had hair in. Toilet chain was broken. Also carpet was dirty in main bedroom. Bedroom view was the linen bin which caused noise late at night with staff in and out.

Great central location

You can't open any windows in the bedroom which make me feel very claustrophobic, and also led to the fire alarm going off when I dried my hair. My bath had a few problems which didn't get fixed, and the bedroom itself feels a little tired. Understaffed reception desk leads to long wait to check out.

Good location for work, nice bar and restaurant area.

Way over priced £250 for one night wot a rip off never again

Location but no parking you had to pay well wen they over charge for a room they should give you this free

My shower wouldn’t work .. the water temp was scalding and wouldn’t change . I had to wash myself in the sink as I hadn’t time for a bath .. total joke really annoyed about this and was not a good start to my day

• Standard Twin Room

Everything and everyone was excellent. Delicious fresh fruit for breakfast followed by eggs benedict, good snack lunch and evening cocktails sitting outside - very relaxing and well situated for everything we wanted to do.

• Twin Room with River View

Could not fault this hotel, any problems quickly sorted. Location great for seeing visiting cruise ships and particularly enjoyed the wonderful breakfast!

Why would a wall hung toilet pan be placed askew, and why has no one fixed it yet?!! (see picture) It was very uncomfortable to sit on especially with a bad back. The water in the shower was alternating from hot to cold. Really didn't enjoy my shower. The room was too dark with a small window. It was dark and dismal everywhere! Black decoration throughout! The desk seat is old and creaky. I really thought Malmaison had a better standard than that.

• Standard Twin Room

Room could have better lighting and the shower wasn't very powerful and seemed to be blocked. We did make reception aware and they sent some straight up. It improved slightly but maybe could have done with de-scaling.

• Double Room with River View

We had to wait at breakfast for a table twice and sit in another area. More bar staff are required an early doors 5-7pm. The bed to hard and pillow much to soft are very uncomfortable - no so much sleep.

Staff members very friendly and helpful. Rooms were lovely

They confirmed we could have a late check out of 1 which was lovely of them however an hour before we left a member of staff walked into our room and then at check out the member of staff told me I agreed to a £20 fee to check out. I did not. Also was advised the breakfast was £16 and we were charged £32 at this point I was so embarrassed I just paid to get out the hotel.

Some of the staff were lovely, the whole hotel was beautiful.

The overall experience was excellent. I have no negatives atall.

Very comfortable stay. Excellent service from all the staff. Beds were very comfortable! Will definately be recommending to my friends and family the hotel.

everything except lift broke down and shower was not usable for 2 days as the water was only scoring hot

• Twin Room with River View

The room decor was very dark. So much that we didn't even notice the USB slots on the plug sockets and missed the box in the cupboard with the tea, sugar and milk in as it was black. We were disturbed on Saturday evening in our 3rd floor room with music from a wedding reception on the 1st floor until Midnight. Had we known of this I either would have stayed elsewhere or asked for a high floor room where we wouldn't hear the noise. Note that they have weddings most weekend so ask before booking.

The location was great - close to everything we needed. The room was clean and well equipped.

Given the lack of natural light in the room allocated we found the décor in the room gloomy and dark. Shower room and toilet black/dark grey tiling so it was like going into a dark cave. How they can tell it is clean beats me given the black/dark grey?? grouting. Mentioned it to reception but told it was the Malmaison Brand colours!!! Whoever picked black/dark grey?? needs to consider the amount of natural light in the rooms. Lighting was very poor needed desk angle poise light on to lift the gloom

Booked a standard double room which was clean and comfortable. Good breakfast selection. Staff fine

The whole feel of the hotel was lovely from the decor to the staff. It suited our needs perfectly, the location to the shopping areas was very convenient. We had booked a meal at at local restaurant which was only 6minutes walk from Malmaison. The bed was very comfortable, the pillows were great & altho the window did not open as it was floor to ceiling, the air conditioning was more than sufficient to accommodate the temperature required for the room to be comfortable. The breakfast was delicious. Nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff. We would definately stay again and would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to friends for locations, comfort and food.

• Double Room with River View

Room very dark. No magnifying mirror making it difficult to apply makeup. At 202pounds sterling per night thought the hotel was very overpriced. No extras that could possibly justify the cost.

Very comfortable bed. Very good location.

• Double Room with River View

Breakfast, the big Mal... no sausage on it had to ask, no beans, second morning no black pudding didn't bother asking! think they were under pressure!

Nice room with a view (upgraded) thought it was a little way out from shopping centre but the more times we walked it, the distance wasn't so great. Nice and quiet at night unlike some city centre hotels!

• Twin Room with River View

The fact I ordered a double room & I ended up with two singles that were pushed together & every time I tried to get close to my partner I would fall down the middle. The mini bar prices were ridiculous. Especially considering I upgraded, you would've thought a drink or two would've been included.

The view's weren't too shabby.

• Standard Twin Room

They have just had a refurb and whilst the have maintained the original ethos not sure about some of the 'trendy' bedroom wallpaper !

We used this Hotel before when visiting Liverpool. It is excellent. And we will continue to use it. In particular the Staff are friendly and very helpful, but most of all professional. Well trained, knowledgeable and on the ball. Normally when visiting we tend to dine out in the evenings but at malmaison the Brasserie style Restaurant and the Bar are so good that we dine in. The Bar meals are excellent. The Brasserie is mid priced with and excellent al la Carte and 'Prix Fix' menu. Service is always good, particularly friendly and there is a willingness to modify a dish to your particular requirements. Its a great location with a waterfront and just set back from the traffic so its quiet.

• Twin Room with River View

Your Wifi connection v slow and that needs to be more reliable and consistent. Even tho I was there to visit daughter at Uni I still had a few hours work to get done which was difficult due to internet connection.

• Superior King Room

Drinks too expensive, service charge included in bill for meal without asking plus request fir gratuities and although breakfast was included because I asked for poached egg on toast I was charged a further £2 which is quite honestly so petty I couldn't believe it and soured the whole experience. For the sake of £2.00 any future thoughts of staying there again have gone despite having stayed many times in the past.

No problem with the hotel or staff just the charging policy

• Double Room with River View

Mini bar & snacks to purchase in room. Also bottles of wine. Very tempting but be careful as prices are hefty. Music from bar very noisy in room 324-should have stayed up later. Booked & prepaid for breakfast but unfortunately had to leave before 8am when restaurant opened. Had e mailed hotel a week before to ask for early breakfast & informed that we could arrange at reception when we booked in. Reception told us we could not request room service for this & we would have to collect our breakfast in a box from reception the next morning. Not ideal & not what I would expect from a classy hotel like Malmaison. When we opened the box, it contained 2 mini danish, one mini croissant, 1 small bottle of water, one actimel, one yoghurt & one apple.("best meal of the day" ) Very disappointing especially considering what we had paid for breakfast & for 2 people. Reflects in my score for value for money. Finally, be warned that the multi storey car park opposite hotel is NOT the one which Malmaison will discount. We paid £17 (discounted price would have been £8). Told when we checked out that the car park to use for discount is behind the hotel.Wish we'd been told on check-in & would have moved car. Constructive crticism only as all is not insurmountable!

Staff warm & welcoming. Food very good. Service in restaurant was excellent. Complimentary cocktails a nice touch.Room spacious, clean & very comfortable. Bathroom big & modern with lovely walk-in shower.

The air con was too warm even though it was set to sixteen far to warm to sleep well we asked a member of staff if it could be turned down he said any cooler it would freeze 😬Find that hard to believe

Large room

• Double Room with River View

We had planned to go out for the evening and when we arrived at the hotel, my partner realised he had forgot his shoes! With help from the really helpful and lovely reception staff, my partner was given the name and number for 2 of the nearest supermarkets that had clothing sections. He was able to ring and get a taxi booked from reception! Very helpful staff and wouldn't have been able to make our reservation without them!

• Twin Room with River View

Everything was perfect. Very quiet and peaceful, which us so unusual for a city centre hotel. The staff were all so friendly and helpful. We loved the decor, and the bedrooms and public rooms were very comfortable . Delicious dinner and breakfast. Will look forward to staying there again.

Good quality tea/coffee on the in-room tray. Other nice touches in the room such as a small movable mirror. Rainforest shower and nice toiletries.

• Superior King Room

Hotel charged us twice for our stay which caused some dismay but was soon rectified

Tried to avoid hotel restaurants in general but had breakfast there on the last day and was most impressed, quality, taste, service was excellent

• Superior King Room

It took a long time for us to be served in the evening. One cocktail ordered beforvthe meal came with the food. Breakfast service extremely slow. We were told ewe had taken items from the mini bar when we hadn’t .

Location, ambiance, cleanliness, decor

Wasn’t that impressed with the selection of the continental breakfast, I’ve seen a lot better in cheaper hotels unfortunately.

Absolutely loved the pillows and duvet they were so comfortable and it was the relaxation I needed! Highly appreciated the 12 noon check out as usually the next morning always seems a rush!

I have stayed here around 5 times. The hotel is beautiful and very clean. We just had a few problems with the shower as it wouldn’t go cooler. The aircon didn’t work and also when making a cup of tea the milk in the small pots was of a thick lumpy consistency so we couldn’t have a cup of tea. Told reception when we checked out but the man on reception didn’t seem interested at all.

I have stayed here around 5 times. The hotel is beautiful and very clean.

We stayed in the kop suite, the room was amazing clean really nice, if your a liverpool fan the suite is well worth staying. Breakfast was also really nice

Rooms need attention- had to be moved as air con broken but 2nd room it was just the same ! Stayed here many times -rooms need updating

Nice towels and products Good breakfast and bar

• Standard Twin Room

The decor was contemporary and interesting and very nice but the rooms, especially the black tiled bathrooms were quite dark, even with the lights on.

It would be nice to have come kind of reduction for the car park...

From the moment you walk through the door and get the warm friendly welcome from the fantastic reception team you know you’re going to have a great stay. Everything about this hotel says quality. Highly recommended!!

Lack of swimming pool.

Lovely modern hotel with good decor. Well designed bathroom.Comfortable beds and goof lighting for reading .V nice toileteries. Good bar and restaurant but lighting poor— difficult to see food!

The bed was a bit small and have to pay extra for a breakfast. I think it was expensive to buy a room for one night. I expected better.

Bath and shower

• Superior King Room

Breakfast was a shambles.... we booked bed and breakfast to be advised it was only continental and we’d have to pay supplement for full. This wasn’t what I had on my confirmation. They then lost our order, brought coffee when we asked for tea and then decaf tea when we requested a coffee to finish off. This was after waiting 10 mins to be seated!

The rooms are lovely and kitted our well.

The service in the restaurant was not good, kept waiting quite a while both at breakfast and dinner.. also the temperature of the room was quite cold. Malmaison Newcastle is better.

the room was comfortable and facilities good.

• Double Room with River View

Went down for breakfast at 8 AM and had to wait 10 minutes in bar area before being let through for breakfast where there were empty tables anyway.

Excellent room, bathroom and comfortable bed. Very modern, clean and friendly environment.

The hotel has a "No Can Do" attitude. We asked for bath robes, a small music player, hair conditioner and body lotion; (which just about every hotel on the planet have in a room), and got a flat NO on each request. The room lighting is awful. Especially in the bathroom which is either full on bright or pitch black. Such a nice bathroom needs mood lighting. The room lighting was the reverse, it looked lovely with low level lighting but no bright lights for doing make up etc.

Great ambience especially in the common areas. Restaurant including breakfast was lovely. Restaurant staff were great and the location is excellent....

• Double Room with River View

Everything - We had moved to this hotel from a different local hotel that didn't meet our expectations- we had checked in later in the day to our original hotel, we were then downgraded as our room had been given away, no offer of an apology etc - we eventually got a refund and made our way to the malmaison! Cannot fault anything and they made me feel so welcome and the standards were much better!!

Staff were friendly and helpful and very welcoming on checking in. The room was larger than I thought it would be, really large comfortable bed and massive bathroom with big sunken bath tub.

Would have liked more coffee in the room to be available. Initially was going to be charged for my two year old to have breakfast thankfully the staff did not charge me which was great however age/charge for a small child to have breakfast possibly needs to be looked at as they eat so little.

Given a free upgrade which was great, staff very friendly and accommodating. Excellent hotel and location.

• Superior King Room

Had to pay for parking , drinks too expensive, not enough coffee in room

Beautiful hotel staff were extremely helpful room was nice and bed was really comfortable

• Superior King Room

Comfiest bed ever. Room was amazing and the massive bath was a great added bonus Male at front of house wasn’t the friendliest when we arrived but all other staff were amazing. Would definitely stay again.

• Standard Twin Room

The service at breakfast was very slow we had to ask twice to order some hot food and even then it took about 20mins just to order. We had a young child with us and by the time the hot food came he was ready to leave the table. When I mentioned it at check out the member of staff was very uninterested and didn't want to hear about it he just kept saying I will knock off the £2 for the hot breakfast. Not the service I expect form a hotel of this standard.

The room was dirty with nail clippings on the floor. The room didn't have a breakfast order card and after two calls to roomservice, it didn't turn up. The manager on shift didn't show much appreciation for the complaint in the morning but took our details saying that we'll hear from the hotel manager, which we never did. I stayed at other Malmaison hotels so really disappointing that the Liverpool hotel is undermining the brand with such simple fails

• Standard Twin Room

The price on the first night was very expencive to stay, compared to the second night.

Lovely clean room, brilliant breakfast and staff. And also loved the feathered pillows. That was a plus for me as it gave me a fantastic night sleep.

The view to the road but we was in city center and the room was that nice it wasn’t actually a down side no noise could be heard from the road

It was a standard room but I felt it was more than standard couldn’t fault it in anyway. Both me and my partner where amazed at how nice the room was it was fantastic and we didn’t want to leave it was that good

• Double Room with River View

Breakfast on BH Monday was a bit chaotic and we had to wait 30 mins in the bar to get a table The continental breakfast wasn’t great and the choices poor . It was in a tiny room and a few cereals / pastries and a loaf of bread . We had paid the other £2 to have full breakfast and I was glad I did

Room was good and nice size / location/ view Staff were good and attentive . Room Wasn’t ready and so we had a voucher for drinks in the bar .... fair enough Had a meal in the restaurant and that was nice ... food and service really good

There was only two minor things: the hot tap in our room was wobbly and not the best quality. At breakfast time the staff were a bit overrun , they were still lovely but I think that system needs reviewing.

Staff were LOVELY! Food was great. Room was well appointed.Over all it was a positive experience and we would like to go back with our children.

Breakfast and the Bar staff on the night - very grumpy

Breakfast was expensive and was made to wait as the restraunt is not big enough and they take too long

• Superior King Room

Tap in room was a loose, for quite an expensive room I didn’t expect this. Also room rate said breakfast included but had to pay extra for hot food

Lovely hotel, friendly staff.

• Double Room with River View

Room was a little too warm on the night ,bed was not comfortable so we didn't sleep very well at all. Mini bar was far too expensive , nibbles too expensive. I also think 164 for the night was way over priced.

breakfast was nice , entrance with the fire was nice.

Shower refused to budge from being scalding hot. Reception very fairly refused to charge me for the couple of beers I’d had the previous evening as a gesture of goodwill.

Stylish hotel very well situated in central Liverpool.

• Superior King Room

I didn't think there needed to be an extra charge for an additional child's bed in the room. It's the first place we have had to pay an additional £30 for a camp bed! I thought this was a bit cheeky...

Travelling with 7yr old autistic son. Staff v friendly and autism aware. Great location and loads to do nearby. Nice bit of luxury to look forward to at the end of a busy day!

The fact that there’s no parking at the hotel. There’s however a secure car park nearby for 13,50 a day. (about 5/7minutes walk to the hotel)

Very friendly staff. We stayed in a standard double room and it was a very good size bedroom and very comfortable. The bathroom was very clean and quite spacious. I would definitely recommend it and would stay there again.

Came back from having a lovely day out though we would have a drink in the bar it was very busy because it was raining outside only one person serving so we gave up in the end and went back to our room there was another lady who was waiting with a child in the end she went and spoke to the manager