Reviews of Malmaison Reading 4 stars

Station Road, Reading, RG1 1JX, United Kingdom

#11 of 38 hotels in Reading

• Standard Twin Room

The choice of the continental breakfast was limited for the price of £13.95.

We were surprised by the large bedroom, also the fantastic power shower AND bath. The attention to detail was excellent. By far the best accommodation we have stayed in.

• Studio

From the entrance to the room was impressive. Stunning studio room with a bathroom of dreams. Felt luxurious. Continental breakfast brought to the room was not only delious the presentation was outstanding.

View from the bedroom wasn’t at all pleasant with mould, peeling paint and a dead bird in the small space outside our window - kept blinds closed whole time. Disappointing as this was a ‘superior’ room and therefore cost more money. Would have been more attractive if the windows were partially obscured with window film to hide this. No parking so cost an extra £12 per night to park in NCP nearby. Breakfast pricier than other places in town.

Spacious room and bathroom, extremely comfortable bed, helpful staff and delicious breakfast. Service and food in the brasserie was excellent.

To be honest, not anything I can think of

great location if you an international traveler and need to get to Reading and find a place to stay using the train. Spacious bathroom and full shower is a big plus. Only had breakfast there which was good. connected to a Starbucks next door, so being a Cappuccino addict it was perfect for me.

This hotel has been dressed for 'seductive', so comfy beds, dark tiles, good for romance. Unfortunately that does mean that the lighting can be a bit gloomy, perfect for a romantic break but not as good if you want to read in bed. You also need to take care with the hot water for the shower as it does not mess around when it says it is hot! (however, they do put a warning on the hot tap for the sink so you won't forget - just be aware that it's very very quick to get to super hot). Neither of these are problems as such, just good for someone to know before they get there

Location - this is right next to the station and within a few minutes walk of central Reading. Hotel and room is stylish, and the shower gel is correct when it states it's the best "you will ever steal". I love their soap! Quick check in, everything ready and complete, easy check out. Comfy bed and modern facilities. Stylish, especially good if you're a couple for a date weekend/night/romantic feel

ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS STAFF!!!😉 My husband & I & our Cocker Spaniel had an unexpected overnight stay due to an earlier tyre blowout on the motorway & needing car realigned at local garage. Having arrived at Malmaison rather frazzled by the whole experience, the staff could not have been more helpful & attentive (even to our dog!) to make sure we could now relax & enjoy our short visit & the excellent facilities & dining on offer! We were made to feel very welcomed from the start & when we finally collapsed into bed after a very long day the sumptuous bed & silky linen was the icing on the cake! Beautifully presented Continental Breakfast in our room the next morning made the early departure all the easier! Would highly recommend without question!

Parking is an absolutely rip off! £23 to park on a Friday night is a joke! Hotel needs to do some sort of a deal with the NCP as that’s ridiculous. Car Park tried to charge us £30 which nearly gave me a heart attack! Mental

Hotel was ok, bathroom a little rough around the edges, perfectly fine for the price! Booked two rooms a double and a twin and the twin was twice the size of the double! Both rooms a good size and hotel smack bang out side the party venue we where attending

Room was well furnished and comfortable - bathroom and shower was ace! Breakfast was yummy with a great continental buffet and definitely worth the extra £2 for a sunday morning fry-up!

Comfortable, the decor was better this time round. Stayed last year after they'd redecorated the rooms but that time we really disliked the new decor in that particular room. To be honest it put us off going there for sometime but the staff are always great there, especially the maitre d he was still there and always makes a difference.

serving beer in very small sizes yet charging for a full pint. Parking costs/hassle. I searched using parking as a key criteria. It was across the road in a rather unpleasant and expensive NCP

Staff and design and toiletries.

Location, gorgeous bathroom, huge comfortable bed, convenient to train station, helpful staff, 24 hour front desk staff, mini bar with snacks and drinks in the room, restaurant and bar on site.

Can't think of anything

The room was a very quirky design which I found charming. The bed was soooooo comfortable it was a delight to lie in. The bathroom was excellent and I love having the choice of bath or shower (I used both during my stay). It was a super comfortable room to just spend an hour or so reading in. I'm definitely staying again. Dinner was excellent, breakfast was excellent, the staff were charming and helpful. Great position immediately opposite the railway station and the connection to Heathrow. Sigh! I wish I was there now

Room cramped, no wardrobe space or drawers, air con didn't work and windows wouldn't open no mirrors in bedroom, shower poor, all in all a very uncomfortable nights stay. no parking had to pay £21,

not much

The pillows were terrible, very lumpy and well used. The bathroom was awkward to use, the toilet was right behind the door and the shower over the bath was awkward get in and out of. The cold tap was also warm, which made cleaning your teeth an interesting experience!

The bed was very comfortable and we liked the overall style of the room.

No plug in the bath so wasn't able to bath and the plug in the sick wasn't working either. The USB point next to the bed wasn't working.

The room was very clean and the bed was comfy. The hotel was also very quiet at night.

How and where to park should be better explained on the site

Really loved the location and whole ambience of the hotel. Went cycling along the Thames and visited the Lido at Reading which was a hidden Gem. The food was great and the hotel had a feel like you were in a really expensive boutique hotel . Quirky room that did not compromise on space

Staff was very quiet and to themselves Not outgoing nor even offering good morning to us as we walked by

The location is exceptional and is the best when traveling by train as it is Right outside the train depot doors across the street Loved it We used it as our hub for seeing all the area sites that we daily visited by train It was perfect It was a quiet and very cozy room. Very modern.

The breakfast buffet (small) did not appeal to us. We ate breakfast elsewhere. The bar was very noisy and we waited a long time for our drinks.

The room was great and the hotel is in a perfect location right by the train station.

• Studio

On booking.com website it showed the studio room which was completly different to what we stayed in.we booked it for the nice bath in the room ect but didnt get what we booked

The breakfast was brilliant !! Everything you could want and much more !! Very friendly staff ☺

I was blown away by Daria's very kind upgrade on my birthday. They put me in the most fabulous room with the most stunning wooden bath, left me magazines, cake and a cocktail voucher! I could not have been more happy or thankful and will only be staying at Malmaison from now on!

Small rooms. Rooms facing train station can get quite loud depending upon how late people are out on a weekend night.

Friendly staff, great location and great bar.

• Standard Twin Room

Our room was near road, people shouting, singing in street below, had to wear ear plugs. Asked to be moved but was informed all rooms the same, because in city centre. I’m afraid that did spoil it for us. If you want to relax think about this.

The staff were lovely, the hotel very nicely decorated, the bedroom very nice, beds and pillows very comfortable, bathroom and shower excellent, tea and coffee, making facilities, biscuits. Gorgeous toiletries. Didn’t have breakfast.

Noisy neighbours. A family with a wailing baby and a whinging ‘toddler’ were an irritation next door evening and early morning. Luckily I was exhausted so I slept. I also liked my room layout. It’s not Malmaison’s fault as they can’t choose their guests however it’s not presented as a family hotel. Please can in room snacks not only contain nuts. All but the crisps were nutty. The crisps were also unique flavours. This notably is not the norm at Malmaison for both of the above.

Great staff; beautiful room; cleanliness; comfy bed. I love this hotel and it’s my first choice in Reading.

The road noise in the room I stayed in (first floor corner room overlooking the bus stop and main road) meant I had an awful nights sleep (Reading appears to be a town that never sleeps!)

The room was comfortable, large, well furnished and equipped

The room was average. Not sure how the room could be described as a superior double. Proabably the poorest Malmaison Hotel I’ve stayed in.

Convenience to town centre. Close to railway station.

Unfortunately the bedside light didn't work and the plug by the main mirror - was faulty and dangerous. Not able to use to dry my hair because it kept cutting out. Room 217. Advised staff

The receptionist was excellent and extremely helpful when I checked in. His name was Jameer.

How dirty the bathroom was. And the lack of plug sockets in the room why put a mirror nowhere near a plug socket. Over proved drinks. But overall nice. And it was very noisy in the morning.

we asked to stay a 3 rd night in our room however although it wasnt booked the cheapest they could offer was more expensive than booking on online websites

as it was our anniversary we were kindly gifted with a glass of champagne and sweets on arrival, a lovely touch.

It was my 60th birthday and was given a free drink and wished a happy birthday . Thought this was a nice touch and made my evening get off to a great start

Couldn’t fault anything, standards were so high. From the amazingly comfy bed and the best shower I’ve ever encountered to the friendliness of the staff and beautiful restaurant with the highest quality food to compliment it.

Partners birthday so our room was upgraded and complimentary drink very nice. The bed was one of the best I had ever been in, the bathroom was amazing and it is so handy for travelling to London.

The restaurant was too expensive and the newspaper wasn't delivered (as promised and ordered)

Location relative to the railway station and parking were excellent and the room was very nice (clean, comfortable and with quirky stylish decor).

Our shower seemed to be stuck on a boiling (and I mean boiling) temperature. There was a warning sign that the water was very hot but turning it down was impossible! I ended up just using the bath which was fine but impractical as was in a rush. Also our toilet did not flush properly and the room was dusty and the walls marked in places. I chose to include breakfast with our stay, however, it didn't point out that this was only a continental buffet which was very poor in choice and looked a but sorry for itself. If you wanted to have a hot breakfast it was an extra £2 per head. I chose the eggs Benedict which came with the eggshell still inside...not great. For the price we paid I expected more.

The bed was lovely and comfortable and the staff were friendly. The location was great and we were given a glass of complimentary bubbly for my partners birthday.

• Studio

Rather disappointed in this one, unfortunately. We stayed for a full 10 days and while it was fine, not really worth the money. Staff at front desk (aside from one taller gentleman, didn't catch his name) were uninterested in being helpful. Staff at breakfast were great, but there was one particular lady working at the bar in the evenings who, while polite to guests, was rude to the other staff. Breakfast was fine, but overpriced for the selection you get. Room's lighting was a pain - putting makeup on was close to impossible as the room was constantly dark thanks to the dark wallpaper, dark carpet, and dim lights. The thermostat kept acting up so we were freezing for the first couple of nights. Mattress was a cheap spring mattress...really not great for the back. Finally, the tub, situated in the room, looked great until you realised there was nowhere to sit in the tub and it was dirty from the last time someone had used (what was apparently) a glitter bomb in it. I did specify it was my birthday so it was nice that I got free cocktails - but when I asked if I could have some cake instead as I don't drink, it was refused :(

Great location! Steps away from Reading Station, so if you're looking for a semi-upscale alternative to staying in London, this is a great bet. It's got a unique and funky vibe, close to Reading Town Centre and has decent amenities. Stayed at the Orient Express, one of their bigger rooms. Their Sunday Tea was excellent! The room was unique and had decent amenities, great selection of snacks, but lost points for an uncomfortable mattress (never got the mattress topper we asked for) and weird lighting. I did specify it was my birthday so it was nice that I got free cocktails - but when I asked if I could have some cake instead as I don't drink, it was refused :(

Bed, alarm sounding through the night, no all night room service and bat closed early

The hotel was designed in an contemporary fashion which was very nice

Just having access to lbrighter liighting to check anything you may have left behind on leaving etc.

Bed staff and comfort excellent. Only downside is that although all malmaison hotels are very srylish and very atmospheric and sexy decor, its sometimes so dark in the rooms that you cant see very much at all. Also the ultra high lech lighting systems mean that its difficult to get any lighting anyway. BUT cant fault the rooms, suites and comfort of beds. Very stylish 😃

Cost is a bit high

We asked if we could check out 15 mins later than the specified time and the receptionist was very helpful in meeting our requirements. Thank you

Was attending a funeral and arrived at 10.30 explained to staff I was attending a funeral has taken a flight down to reading for funeral and could I use a room to get changed they let us Check in early excellent service

It was very slow service in the restaurant. We waited 40 mins for our starter.

Rooms very comfortable, bed was wonderful and a proper bath which is getting rarer these days.

Bar area very cold and dimly lit.

Good location if you want to be close to the railway station. Reasonable size room with tea/coffee facilities. Pleasant dining area for breakfast which was very good.

Price was around £50-75 more than I wanted to pay. I’m on your mailing list and usually get a much better rate

Lovely room and the staff were very friendly, location perfect

The overall cleanliness had a lot to be desired. We had to complain twice about the bathroom and were then moved to another room. It transpires that the initial bathroom had been cleaned, but that the overall condition of the facilities were very poor - beyond the ability of a housekeeping crew to clean in 10-15min. The new room that we were moved to, was only marginally better. Overall, I believe that bathrooms within the whole hotel need a thorough deep clean to remove the cumulative ground-in residue of soap, shampoo, etc that has built up over the years - I suggest that a stock of rooms are taken out of use, on a rolling basis, to allow such a deep clean. The Duty Manager provided cocktail vouchers as a good will gesture to apologize for the inconvenience, but I would have preferred it if the rooms had not been left to become so bad - they are now beyond a simple daily clean! I suspect that the dim mod lighting in each room is also in place to stop guests noticing the poor condition of fixtures and fittings.

Very comfortable bed. Overall, the front of house and bar staff were very friendly.

Service at the bar was terrible. Slowest I have ever experienced and the cocktail server really wasn’t friendly at all. It was almost as if making out drinks was an inconveinience!

Best bed I have EVER slept in

• Club Double Room

The bed was a little hard, room was a little too dark at night (walls are dark brown & black) so it was hard to find your way around without bumping into things, dim night lighting would help.

The staff were very friendly and we got an upgrade (although had to pay a little extra) to a large suite (The Ghan) with a separate lounge and a large bathroom. The room was very quiet, despite the central location and the bar area was very cosy with a real fire and great craft beers. Breakfast was also good.

Room was freezing - unfortunately it was the following morning I found a spare radiator in the wardrobe. Also a long queue at reception... Not what you'd expect from the Malmaison

Location in relation to the station was good

We paid extra for the full breakfast and the muffins on the eggs benedict were solid and the whole thing extremely tasteless. My husband had the Big Mal Breakfast and was entirely underwhelmed. Would not go there again...

It’s a shame about the lack of parking but got a good rate for the NCP across the road.

Fabulous trip. Wanted to be in the area to catch up with old friends. Room was amazing. Staff were great. Location was perfect for evenings out and great for shopping during the day. Can’t wait to go back.

Rooms feel like they are just smartened up and the cold tap didn’t actually run cold water. I refuse to pay for bottled water in a hotel room.

Great location for the station if commuting but hotel was underwhelming.

Can't think of anything....

My kind of place! A much better alternative to the boring business hotels a often need to stay at. Design, fun, atmosphere, nice room, good bed, quiet.

No tea/coffee making facilities in room only alcohol. I wanted a simple ham and tomato sandwich when I ordered a small meal through room service but the bistro told me to have a simple burger (which came with chips). The continental breakfast at £13.50 was disappointing and the coffee was poor.

Last minute booking because there was no train to get me home. Staff very friendly and helpful. The room was comfortable with good shower. I was able to order room service after 10pm.

The bed being two singles pushed together, was very disappointing

The rooms where beautifully decorated and we were upgraded for free as it was my boyfriends birthday, also left us a sweet treat in the room.

The location of the room was terrible due to the noise until 4am 😢😢

We liked the Bedroom ,and facilities in it. Great bed ensuit . Fridge , snacks ect

Not such great coffee for breakfast. Annoying that I was charged for 2 continental breakfasts when my colleague met me in the morning - we had two coffees. At £13 each it definitely wasn’t worth it!

Very spacious room and bathroom, comfy bed, great coffee in the room

Sink plug broken and filled with hair :( Noise levels from street at night but guess to be expected from a town centre. Light comes in early as not all of the windows are blacked out

Customer service especially within the restaurant and reception desk. Love the interior design and the monsoon shower was amazing. I would easily recommend this hotel and restaurant to anyone visiting Reading or London because it is so close to the station.

Room overlooking main road and bus stop so noisy early in morning. I was emailed a special offer to upgrade for £11 which I accepted but was not offered on the day

Good location and comfortable rooms

The bathroom wasn’t clean, the shower tray was cracked and stained and the towels were stained. Extra £2 for cooked breakfast when it was supposedly included. Room was freezing on arrival. Lighting in room was poor.

The hotel was well located and the staff were friendly.

The room was very dark, partly due to the decor but mostly because the window was small and looked out onto an enclosed space with little natural light. Recommend asking for a room at front or side of hotel, not middle.

Breakfast was good but note that you have to pay extra for cooked breakfast. Continental breakfast included in room rate however was more than adequate.

Had a few problems with cleanliness of room upgrade and was a little worn. Also a room service and staff incident marred the stay and experience of this particular Malmaison.

Convenience of location and main restaurant food was good.

It would have been nice to have been able to have had my meal in the restaurant.

The hotel was comfortable and I loved the way the hotel was designed with train posters on the wall. The Reception staff were very friendly and made me feel like a VIP.

Staff in restaurant underwhelming, friendly enough but either they aren't particularly good or they need more staff. Almost never anyone around to show guests to a table or take orders.

Room was away from the bustle of the town but a bit noisy from the staff (Kitchen)

I had booked 4 nights and had to extend another night, which was easy to do.

Told we were upgraded when room was actually v small and on 1st floor facing into busy railway station. Bar closed to residents at 1am,no options for drinks.

Comfy bed,great decor.Friendly check in.

I had been using this hotel for a few months. One weekend I checked out and advised the receptionist I had broken a wine glass . Nothing else has been broken. I was advised not to worry and they would take care of it. Next day my card was £150 for damage. They advised even though the wine glass was broken the room was left in a state where there cleaners thought it was too dirty to clean . Ie. I had food in there after a night out and left it in there. They did not want to hell me address this issue

Bedrooms were nice

Nothing really. It’s our favourite place to get away for a night. The only thing I didn’t like was having to leave!

The Mallard suite was beautiful with a huge bathroom and timber bath with different coloured spot lights to set the mood. Also as we had 2 other couples with us there was 2 lovely rooms next doors with a terrace out the back

Water was too hot and hard to regulate. The shower gel had a manly smell inappropriate for a woman, no water bottles in the room, no coffee/tea facility in my room. Most of all, I paid 15 pounds for breakfast to find out in the morning that if I want hot breakfast, I have to sit down and wait and it is not a buffet. The standard for this price is having eggs, bacon, porridge etc in a buffet, if not the case, the guest should be warned before paying. Likewise, I did not see cheese, ham - the breakfast was basic and cheap. I ended up having a pastry and a yoghurt for my money. Didn’t see easily reachable coffee either.

The bed and pillows were comfortable and room service dinner was quite good

We had to wait quite a long time for the cooked breakfast, otherwise everything was great.

A couple of little cakes were left for my wife and I to help us celebrate her arriving in the country with a little note congratulating us.

maybe quick checkout facility

It did what I wanted. Bedroom nice an quite out the back hence the view was not good but it is in the middle of town. I do not drink coffee so did not answer this in a way that was positive, also I do not know about parking as my car was parked in my companies paid parking. The overall standard was excellent for my needs and I must admit did not use the facilities to my fullest capacity but know that it is very good from friends who have stayed there.

Absolutely nothing to complain about!

Although check in and out was a little slower than we'd have liked (probably caused by us) the staff were incredibly friendly and very helpful. They couldn't have been more accommodating. Room was comfortable and spacious, plenty of facilities in the room. The location was excellent with bars, restaurants and shops only a 5 minute walk away.

No cold water from the taps - and the person on reception told me that I’d have to pay for cold water from the mini bar. Eventually persuaded him to send some cold water from the kitchen.

Nice sized rooms with lovely bathrooms

I asked twice to be put in a quiet room, and it was quiet from the street (top floor), however there was a generator or something similar above us that started at around 2.30am and went on all night it wasn't just the noise but a level of vibration that was quite nauseating. The staff - though I we had good experience with the reception staff, the bar man was rude and when he poured us the wrong drink he said he couldn't take it off our bill (despite us not drinking it) because he's poured it - particularly bad service, and was a little rude with it. Finally the room shower tray looked dirty where something had knocked the enamel off the tray. It wasn't dirty, but that made us look elsewhere and played on my mind a bit - shame as the rest of the decor was nice.

Location next to the train station was good. Some of the staff were excellent, some weren't. Breakfast was really tasty. The room was nicely presented and away from the noisey street below.

Disappointing on this visit, found the bath plug hole covered in grime, but more concerning full of hair trapped. Clearly had built up over a period of time, which meant the rooms were not cleaned as well as you hope. I did complain and obviously got the “Very Sorry” statement but really didn’t know what to say or do. I was hoping that when leaving, you would of been asked - was everything okay - but more interested with getting you off and on your way. I recently experienced this at another Malmason and must be the usual Malmason check out standard Would I stay again - probably because of location, but I might look at other hotels first.

The Malmason is situated in great location for the town and for the Train Station and has a great feel to it when you enter the front doors. Breakfast you can upgrade and gain a free drink too in the offer.

• Standard Twin Room

We couldn't stay any longer due to work commitments

Free upgrade on the second night due to window rattling. The staff there are just the greatest. We will return

• Standard Twin Room

We only had continental breakfast as part of room booking, which seemed stingey compared to other similar hotels. We were told it was an extra £2 for cooked which was fine (although why not just include that on the bill) but that they couldn’t do any poached eggs and service would be slow. So we didn’t bother. Disappointing. I had a large curly hair on my second pillow (had not been anywhere near the bed and do not have curly hair!) Shower cubicle had chips and marks.

Location. Cocktails.

• Standard Twin Room

The wi-fi was not perfect. Although the breakfast had very good choices when the toast was brought to us there was only 1 slice each and we had to request more, a lower-starred hotel is more generous.

On arrival we were greeted in a very friendly manner by the receptionist who told us we were about to be amazed! The room was an excellent size and at exactly the right temperature. The double glazing did what it said on the tin! The bar was a lovely place to have a pre-dinner drink and the meal in the restaurant was of a high quality. All the staff were very friendly and helpful.

The room seemed liked it hadn't been used in a while, a bit dusty and cobwebs in places...

Room was lovely, location perfect and bar area very nice