Reviews of Manchester Marriott Victoria & Albert Hotel 4 stars

Water Street, Manchester City Centre, Manchester, M3 4JQ, United Kingdom

#32 of 93 hotels in Manchester

• Deluxe Room

Room service took too long 1hr 30 min was told 14 mins Night time staff rude and argumentative Plug sockets hanging off wall Disco on till 1 pm in morning should have been told might be noise

Nice breakfast

• Deluxe Room

The television / media system was way out of date compared to most other hotels & took 15 mins to eventually load bbc so I could watch the news. The air conditioning was a bit lack lustre too & could do with a refurb.

Great location and plenty of parking on site. We used the carpark next door it was only £12 a day opposed to £17 at the hotel. The hotel was beautifully decorated and clean. Our room was comfortable and had everything we needed.

• Deluxe Room

Terrible check in had lost our booking. Parking charge and no room in the car park to begin with. The "deluxe room" was pokey, dated and with a small bed. Windows did not open, wifi didnt work and toilet didnt flush properly. After returning from our event tried to get a drink. 18 people waiting at the bar. Could hear their venue until 1am! All this for over £200 a night! Reception unmanned alot of the time and didn't answer phone. Struggled into a car with crutches and bags whilst the staff looked on. Never again.. not Manchester and probably not a Marriot

Comfy pillow and a good breakfast. Very friendly and helpful cleaner. Good location for our event.

• King Deluxe, Guest room, 1 King

Breakfast was very disorganised and not enough room. Had to wait 15 minutes to be seated and then food ran out so had to wait for more to be cooked.

Excellent location to city centre and also by the Salford Quays

• Deluxe Room

Little bit disappointed of the size of the room. The bathroom is absolutely different of the pictures. There was a small non-slip mat at the bottom of the tub which did not look very clean. No bathrobe and no mini bar. I regret booking a Deluxe room as it was more like a standard room

The bed was really confortable.

• Deluxe Room

The pictures of the room didn't match what we got, the room was quite small and was quite disappointing. Cleanliness was not up to standard, the toilet was dirty around the bowl, the carpets were stained. Wallpaper had been ripped at some point and has been crudely repaired. We booked in for afternoon tea and were again disappointed, the sandwiches did not taste nice and the service was terrible, we waited for 45 minutes with an empty pot of tea, my husband had to go hunt out staff to order another. I honestly wouldn't book with this hotel again as the price just does not fit the standard, very disappointing overall.

The location was great.

• Deluxe Room

Eye wateringly expensive for a fairly ordinary hotel! Apart from the excellence of the staff (which was the only high end element to the stay), I left feeling slightly mugged! For over £210 for one nights B & B with parking, you would expect something very memorable, but it is simply a nicely run but mid standard hotel charging top end prices! Breakfast was fairly poor with over cooked items and some ongoing building work (which we were not notified about) led to a fairly disappointing experience. If it was half the price we paid, then I may consider going back, but unlikely!

The staff were of the highest standard, friendly but professional, very willing to help and well motivated. The evening meal in the restaurant was good and thew room, whilst nothing special, was comfortable.

• Deluxe Room

I had to pay extra for the parking which was not made clear on the website. Worst, it turns out that it was more than the 24hrs carpark in the next space (approx. 10 yards away).

Really convenient as a visit location close to the centre but far enough away to have some peace and quiet.

• Deluxe Room

Took too long to check in. Evening bar staff overcharged us for drinks and didn't even apologise. Dosen't cost anything to be polite and smile

• Deluxe Room

We stayed in a ‘Deluxe room’ on the 4th floor. I wasn’t impressed with the room. It was a bit dusty with cob webs. The bath was a bit dis-coloured too. I’ve stayed in a much better room on a previous visit which was exceptional with exposed beams an nice bathroom. I would stay again and ask for a different room. The breakfast was excellent though I might add!

Great location and fantastic restaurants and bars nearby.

• King Deluxe, Guest room, 1 King

We weren’t made aware about the renovations that were going off regarding the hotels reception area which was slightly confusing upon arrival however this didn’t effect our stay. I was surprised that the hotel only had a select amount of parking spaces and didn’t offer any discount for the public car park next door to the hotel. I would have thought that due to the limited spaces the hotel would have offered some for of discount for an over night stay.

We loved the style of the hotel, the staff were really friendly and went the extra mile for our stay.

• Deluxe Room

Requested a vegetarian breakfast on booking but this had not been taken note of. Renovations going on. Did not think room was value for money. Better rooms had for better price in the South of England.

Bed was comfy although mattress on wrong way. Food was goo along with room service.

• Deluxe Room

No power to start, only to ring reception and be told there is a master switch to turn the electrics on. No one told us this on check in. The hotel was being refurbished , there was no prior warning that this was bein. Done. Took up space in the bar and the bar was full no tables for me and the wife to sit and have a drink. Previous people’s room service food was left outside our door when we got the the room. As well as pizza box outside the door.

Bed was comfy. Looks good from outside. Quiet location

• Deluxe Room

Refused to serve food in the bar after 11.00pm but we could have food in our rooms. Why?

Lovely old hotel (modernised) in a great location. Brief walk to Spinningfields and Central Manchester

• Double Room with 2 Double Beds

We have stayed at this hotel several times, but the bed rooms are now looking tired. The bathroom needs a new bath. Our friends and family would not even have a bath in theirs, they showered instead. Check in was horrendous, took about half an hour, with only 2 reception staff checking guests in, in the top end of the bar area, due to construction on the previous reception area. Finding the hotel toilets, also due to construction, was a challenge, not enough signs. When the fire alarm went off, we were sat in the bar, waiting for our room to be cleaned (stayed 2 nights) a few staff were running around, but no one said it was a false alarm. I also think they need to employ a few more cleaners. Our friends room hadn’t been cleaned when they got back to their room at 3pm and our wasn’t cleaned until at least 2 pm. The food was nice, but not worth the £13.75 that I paid for a few salad leaves and even fewer prawns.

The staff are very helpful and friendly. We got served with food and drink quickly.

• King Deluxe, Guest room, 1 King

Nothing it was great, although tea and coffee at the bar was overly expensive and not that hot as well as other drinks (£3.75 for a small tea!). We thought this was closer to where we needed to get to but that was our own fault rather than the information provided, it is a little bit out of the way and a good walk from the main areas but it's quite nice being slightly out I suppose.

Staff were really helpful from arrival until we left. The bar staff were lovely especially when I needed plasters, couldn't help us more. Rooms were amazing and we had a larger one to our friends next door, slightly dark but I prefer that in a hotel! Who wants to wake up to glaring light?!

• Double Room with 2 Double Beds

Parking quite expensive but as expected for a city centre location.

Very comfortable beds. Lovely patio area at the front of the hotel to sit and enjoy a drink in the sunshine. Good location, walkable to Spinningfields. Great breakfast menu, available as room service.

• Superior Room

I have nothing against foreign employers, but ALL the staff were foreign 😞

We paid extra for a superior room, and it was just that, the bed was so comfy everything was spot on

• Deluxe Room

Food is of poor quality - it lets the whole experience down and you feel I'd rate stay elsewhere

I've stayed a couple of times found the staff friendly and helpful but they are let down by the poor quality of the food at the bar which I find generally poorly cooked, of questionable quality, generally served lukewarm and of poor portions

• Deluxe Room

The lighting was dark in the room, you could hear the occupant of the neighbouring room with far too much ease, and the shower head was fixed to the wall and was also set at my shoulder height so I had to bend backwards to wash my hair.

The staff were great. The breakfast was delicious.

• Deluxe Room

The breakfast could have been served fresher. As hotel breakfasts go, this was not particularly good. In a hotel of this quality a little more effort in the kitchen and with the serving staff would change my opinion.

Pleasant bar and staff

• Deluxe Room

The shower wasn't hot at all during the evening or the morning after. The toilet also made a very loud dropping noise all night as water was coming out from the bowl. We did explain this to the receptionist and she did she she would get maintenance to check it.

The room was beautiful as is the hotel. Staff very friendly and welcoming.

• Deluxe Room

Could do with new carpets in the corridors and a general lick of paint. The bathrooms are tired with the sinks scratched and marked. The wall tiles in the bathroom need regrouting as the grouting is grey with age and use and looks dirty.

The staff are very helpful and friendly.

• Deluxe Room

Would be nice to know gym facilities aren't on site, requiring visiting a third party gym. Often a hotel gym is unused and it's easy to get a quick workout done in peace.

Excellent location. Quiet area but near to Spinningfields for evening dining and also a short walk to the shopping areas. Rooms comfortable.

• Deluxe Room

The only thing I be upset about is that our stay wasn’t long enough 😃

Absolutely everything. From the smiling welcome of the concierge to his friendly goodbye. Staff are friendly, welcoming and professional in every area of the hotel. Room was luxurious, comfortable and exceptionally clean. Breakfast was delicious with a variety to suit everyone. Could not find fault if I wanted to. The decor is beautiful with amazing seating areas throughout reception, bars and lounge areas. All in all a truly wonderful experience.

• Double Room with 2 Double Beds

We arrived 02:00 in the morning,after 10’ waiting to check in,finally got the wrong room and woke up a guest as we tried to enter his room with our key.Fortunatelly he had the door bolted so we did not manage to enter the room,just woke him up and gave him a scare probably. Our room was left uncleaned after the first night,although we were out almost the whole day. There is a building site right accross the hotel,with noise from the morning till the evening. In general I felt the staff was inefficient and the hotel badly managed. Will seriously think if I will ever go again.

Nice warm feel,with nice lobby area.

• Deluxe Room

The staff were so efficient and friendly. Francesco the concierge was quick to meet me at my vehicle as I arrived and was so helpful. Quinten checked me in and again, so friendly and efficient. All of the staff are lovely and helpful. They make the stay enjoyable!

• Double Room with 2 Double Beds

Could have done with a ice machine on the corridors. Beds were a little bit soft for my liking but that is down to personal choice.

Location was superb for those wanting to visit Spinningfields. Short walk from Salford Central train station. Staff were extremely helpful ensuring that a fridge was put in my room on request and ordering me a early morning taxi.

• Deluxe Room

The toilet was not good at flushing and I resorted to using the waste paper bin filled with water to resolve the situation. The room was a little on the cool side and with a very thin quilt I was aware throughout the night of being cold.

A very nice hotel located close to the city centre. Friendly staff and nice layout.

• Deluxe Room

Room on first floor near central lobby was not noise free, although not noisy. Website could be clearer that gym is 5 minutes off site

Central location, comfy beds (although need a choice of soft or firm pillows), good standard of décor and fit-out

• Deluxe Room

Better with gym as part of the hotel rather than a partner a walk away

Good hotel at the price paid. Central to good selection of pubs / restaurants. Not clear that there was additional parking available at the hotel so used an NCP alongside. Not sure if hotel would be cheaper than the £25 overnight fee paid

• Deluxe Room

We would like to have known about the gym and pool before our arrival.

Really friendly staff, and very welcoming/helpful. Gorgeous room, efficient and clean bathroom. Liked the fact that we could use a gym and pool nearby as part of the package.

• Superior Room

A short walk out of Manchester but not too far (around 30 mins from Piccadilly train station)

Spacious room, friendly staff and the rooms were decorated lovely (funky carpet)

• Double Room with 2 Double Beds

If I had to say something, I'd probably say the shower was a bit low and I had to bend down a bit to be able to wash my hair :-)

Convenient location, 15-minute walk into Manchester with lively bars, restaurants and shops. Large room, very comfortable bed and impeccably clean bathroom facilities. Friendly staff, easy check-in and check-out process.

Zero

Bed brill! Breakfast delish! Love the wood beams everywhere. The staff left a little birthday surprise on our dressing table for my friend which was a lovely touch! Hotel location excellent for theatre Etc. also

• Deluxe Room

I had booked 'superior' room on booking.com - but was told this meant I was allocated any room on arrival - so could really have selected a cheaper option for the same room. So i didnt get my 'king size bed'. Other than that all was very good.

Very hard to fault but one minor point is on asking for a river view - cant see much as the design of the building means the windows are small. So not much of a view.

• Deluxe Room

The shower is very outdated and needs to be modernised. The water was also not hot enough but manageable.

The hotel is really nice and cosy, I liked the lounge area which has a real old English feel to it, the breakfast was good and the room was spacious.

• Double Room with 2 Double Beds

Paying £17 for the parking! Also if you want breakfast and book it on the day instead of the day before you get charged an extra 4 pounds! What kind of hotel does this? Next there is misleading way of connecting to the Wi-Fi which implies you have to pay for it when in fact you didn’t. The beds were not as firm as I like and a lot of the springs seemed broken. Soundproofing didn’t seem too good I didn’t get a very good nights sleep because I kept hearing voices until about 2 AM from adjoining rooms

The staff were very professional, friendly and helpful also the location for what I needed was very good too

• Deluxe Room

There was only enough washing products for one person when it was a double room and there was no information given regarding the parking which was an extra £17 for 1 day

The room was cossy

• Deluxe Room

Hotel was amazing. Service from start to finish was spot on. Most friendliest staff and helpful. Lovely upgrade on the room as well which made our stay extra special.

• Deluxe Room

Cost of breakfast was a lot for the price of hotel ud think they would include breakfast. Cleanliness could of been better also

The hotel was situated close to city centre..

• Double Room with 2 Double Beds

Honestly.... cant think of anything...this hotel will always be my hotel of choice when staying in Manchester.

Staff extremely helpful and friendly. Great location. Easy to drive to. Valet parking a bonus. Hotel built in 1844 and it had been beautifully modernised with lots of the original features of the building on display. Huge room. Loved Juliet balcony view over old ship canal.

• Deluxe Room

Lighting was not too bright and a bulb had gone. Was not a major problem and did not ruin our stay :)

Very comfy bed, I had a fantastic sleep. Nice and Quiet seeing as it is a city centre location

• Deluxe Room

Expensive parking, this should be free considering cost of staying here.

Beautiful room, well decorated, fabulous welcome including valet parking. Well situated close to town centre and Spinningfields.

• Deluxe Room

Shower heads fixed at a really odd low height, room had an extra double bed in it - which made it very crowded, poor lighting added to the cramped impression. Not enough bar/waiting staff so long delays.

• Deluxe Room

Music in the bar area was depressing.

We both felt that the downstairs bar was not very warm, Went down for breakfast at 9.30 am and everything was cold.

• Deluxe Room

The rooms were not clean very dusty and the bath had a big black square stain in it .. for the money you pay you need to be spotless and would be better if the breakfast was included in the price .. and parking on top really is a lot of money in too when it should all be included if you ask me ..

Location good

• Superior Room

£17 parking charge for 1 nights parking was quite unexpected and seemed a lot! I read nowhere when booking that there were any charges for parking.

Large soft bed and bathroom facilities were good.Breakfast in bed was excellent. All staff were friendly and professional.

• Deluxe Room

Did not feel the overall cost of the hotel reflected what we got. Previous guests dirty dishes etc left outside our room for a day even though I had asked for them to be removed. The room was tired looking and needed updating. Bed was uncomfortable (Premier Inn beds far superior) and bed linen very worn. The shower leaked on to floor flooding the toilet area.

The car was parked for us on arrival. Staff generally friendly.

• Double Room with 2 Double Beds

i've never seen such kind of room, i was on 3rd floor, the ceiling was so low that the room and bathroom can be good for kids not toller than 1,40 cm, probably with one floor they made 2. if u are claustrophobic avoid it

• Deluxe Room

when booking we understood they had pool, so it was disappointing (misleading) to learn that it only from 11am to 3pm it was open (which is exactly the time you are always out of the hotel, so it was useless). The arrangement that we could use the GYM was a good idea, just the open hours an issue.

Loved the bed and the size of the room, and the style of the hotel. Great breakfast too, although i was disappointed that they did not have nutella and natural youghurt, which i think is a must for any hotel.

• Deluxe Room

Asked for and was told we'd been given quiet room, given one next to lift - constant hum from machinery & lots of coming & goings, also first floor just next to mezzanine over reception & bar. Did get moved.

Friendly reception staff & large rooms. Good location.

• Deluxe Room

Stayed here a dozen +times, but recently avoided breakfast as it became apparent that the standard had deteorated

Large room with settee, large bathroom and great river views

• Deluxe Room

When you pay for a room with breakfast you should not have to pay £2 more each morning to have cappuccino with your breakfast . The first hotel I have been in where they charge for this. Very disappointing .

Good location very helpfull staff

• Deluxe Room

The parking charge that was not specified prior to the booking & the bar prices are a bit excessive.

The spacious room, low beams & character features

• Deluxe Room

No bottled water in the room. There were food and drinks trays outside rooms in the corridor at lunchtime when we are and they were still there at 11pm Doesn’t give a very good impression of the cleaning staff

The room was clean and comfortable.

• Deluxe Room

Breakfast buffet- stood prewarmed food, and no vegetarian/vegan option. Shower over the bath with screen so no option but to get wet with cold water upon turning on.

Close to centre, nice hotel, bar good.

• Superior Room

TV was a little dated, colours and brightness could be improved if you knew what button to press! Bed was a little soft for our liking.

Staff were excellent, from the check-in to the bar staff, restaurant staff and the cleaners - all greeted us with a smile and warm welcome. Food in the restaurant / bar was also good.

• Deluxe Room

The fact that we arrived late at night went straight out for a drink and when we cam back to the room the TV did not work and the toilet would not flush.We ended up having to move rooms at midnight

• King Deluxe, Guest room, 1 King

The staff were excellent having traveled around the world a wee bit without wanting to come across as a show off the staff at this hotel were the best staff I’ve ever came across especially the young lady with glasses so helpful and polite an asset to the company

• Deluxe Room

The bathroom looks quite dated. The shower was not good and leaked all over the floor. There was a sewage smell coming up from the sink. The lighting was very dim in the bedroom, impossible to get ready in the dark. There was no soundproofing we were kept awake all night by upstairs guest walking around constantly from 2am - 6am. Not the best. There was no orange juice left at breakfast, I asked and was told it’d all gone. There was no music or atmosphere at breakfast. Quite sad really... I won’t be rushing back anytime soon.

We got a free upgrade to a suite

• King Deluxe, Guest room, 1 King

The bar/restaurant seemed understaffed when we arrived. We were told to take a seat and someone would come and take our order. After 20+ mins no one came to take our order, we then had to wait at the bar which took an extra 10mins !!! Food was nice and fortunately it didn’t take ages to arrive else that would have been very annoying.

The room was so cozy.

• Superior Room

We were given a room that hadnt been cleaned but the reception staff were very sorry and upgraded us.

The breakfast was excellent and beautiful coffee xx concierge was very pleasant and very helpful.

• Deluxe Room

They gave us vouchers for the breakfasts even though we had never asked for them nor been told that we was going to pay for them at the end. The service couldn't be faulted and the reception staff we're brilliant and sorted all our issues out asap.

We liked the fact the bed was a good size. The staff was friendly and helpful, it was a quick and easy check-in/check-out and the room was spic and span.

• Deluxe Room

The staff. The cold room and the fact they didn’t care when I said the room had no heating

It’s a very impersonal hotel. I gave my card to the bar man and I hadn’t been checked in properly either.

• Deluxe Room

Spent valentines night here with my partner was perfect accommodation for a romantic night. Room was perfect in every way bed was really comfortable. Couldn’t recommend it more

• Double Room with 2 Double Beds

Breakfast was ok. Didn't touch the sausages as they looked completely undercooked other than that the selection was fine. Much prefer breakfast cooked to order though. The aircon/heating system is noisy. Why have this system?

The room was lovely, spacious and the bed very comfortable. All the staff I met were very friendly.

• Deluxe Room

Nothing. Every thing was good and staff were polite and helpful.

Pillows were soft and comfortable so I had a very good night's sleep. Room was lovely and warm but was able to adjust temperature when it got a little too warm.

• Deluxe Room

The breakfast service on the first morning poor no glasses and plates took a while to be seated and we had to wait for food to be replenished

Parking a bit expensive for 2 nights

• Deluxe Room

Overnight parking price was disgusting! £17..!!! Bathroom very dated, not spotless and shower glass leaked water all over the bathroom floor, also £4.50 for a coffee was crazy!

Location, hotel ground

• Deluxe Room

Bed uncomfortable, 2 of our 3 rooms were clean the 3rd needed more attention. breakfast offering was very poor, food not replenished we got fed up waiting, no glasses for juice no table in the restaurant for 5 to sit together not enough staff on duty. My husband went to front desk and asked to see the manager and was told there wasn’t anyone there. He asked to speak to anyone senior and was told there wasn’t any senior personnel there. When checking out they took our parking fee off but it’s very poor indeed. We 5 will be staying elsewhere next time we’re in Manchester..

Great location for evening out..

• Double Room with 2 Double Beds

Reception staff were a bit moody but the bar staff were very friendly, as was the concierge. Just a minor nit-pick as the place was really nice overall.

Good location, nice sized rooms with decent bed. Quiet when we were there. Good bar downstairs too.

• King Deluxe, Guest room, 1 King

We were woken up by an alarm call at 7am which we did not ask for.

The food in the restaurant was fantastic. Staff in the reception were very friendly and helpful. Good service in the restaurant aswell.

• Deluxe Room

Room service was terrible said it stops at 11pm and it was 10pm, food terrible. Staff rude and clumsy and it was terrible value for money. Had to pay extra for a fold out bed that kept collapsing. The heating was a plug in tiny heater! Had to pay valet parking £17! Shocking don't stay here!

• Deluxe Room

I requested no feather pillows and it was mentioned at reception but I found in our room that they were all feather pillows.

I felt it was the right amount of luxury mixed with a homely feel. Everything was extremely clean and all of the staff were very friendly and professional.