Reviews of Mandolay 4 stars

36-40 London Road, Guildford, GU1 2AE, United Kingdom

#9 of 10 hotels in Guildford

Not worth 4 stars, not a good value for money although it does have a good potential.

My room 51 was a bit of a disaster. I woke up to the noise outside of my single-glassed windows, staff recycling bins full of glass bottles. One top window did not close properly, so the room was really cold too. I could hear people above taking shower early in the morning and leaving the ‘hut’ as my room was next to the exit door. Really not ideal and not a good value for money.

Good bed, good shower, good breakfast, cute room, good restaurant, nice food, flexible staff, the manager made me a mocktail even if it wasn’t on their menu. That was a nice touch.

• Reviewed: 23 September 2018

• Compact Single Room

Room had such a cute view. The staff was super nice, starting from front office to bar and waitors/waitresses. Breakfast was exactly what could anyone ask to start on a rainy day in UK. I will definitely choose this once I will be back in Guildford!

• Reviewed: 22 September 2018

Really fast and efficient check in.

Bar staff were slow and rude.

Really fast and efficient check in. Breakfast was excellent. Really comfy beds and the pillows were amazing. Check out no fuss.

• Reviewed: 21 September 2018

Enjoyable.

My room 109, not really suitable for my height (5'2") Clothes rail in wardrobe too high, had to stand on toilet seat to reach towels on rack, top of mattress came to my hip, so had to climb into bed. 😄) . Had to get staff help closing a sash window as it was too high for me to push all the way up. I did point these minor obstacles out to hotel. Amused rather than annoyed me. Also noisy chatter late at night outside my door (not the hotel's fault) and people heading to the annex as well as the bins being collected or moved on Tue night / Wed morning did interrupt my sleep. Small rooms for the price.

Warm, comfortable room. Compact but functional and nicely decorated. Lovely food. Friendly and helpful staff. Noise from adjacent rooms minimal compared to other places I've stayed. But still get outside noise as window was single glazed. (See minus)

• Reviewed: 21 September 2018

Nice staff but expensive for what it is

Expensive room rate seemed high for basic room. Bed quite small and room was hot / no air conditioning. Breakfast very expensive, so I didnt bother and went elsewhere for breakfast.

Parking at the rear was convenient. Staff were friendly and pleasant. Room was clean, although quite basic.

• Reviewed: 20 September 2018

The soap in the bathroom

The staff were rude at the reception/ no porter - carrying luggage up the stairs is difficult- The staff were observed smoking outside the reception and then throwing/disposing of their used cigarette butt on the ground.

The soap in the bathroom

Good location but very small rooms

Paid for superior room with a view, the room was small only able to walk around bed and the view was of an alley and bins. The staff were polite but showed no interest in us and were preoccupied with business men who held accounts

Clean and tidy, toiletries for one person. On main street but quiet

Port quality of service and staff health and safety is clearly not a priority here

Poor customer service We had a leaking air conditioning unit which we asked them to fix... however no one did and we were not offered another room The unit was leaking even switched off straight down the wall onto 3 plug sockets!! We were declaimed food/ room service at 9.15pm and told to google takeaways!! No one in the hotel was happy to help us with any issues the following day

An absolute gem of a hotel

The staff members were ery polite and professional. The breakfast was exceptional, couldn't fault it. Loved the decoration of the hotel, very clean and modern. If I were to come back to Guildford, I'd definitely stay at this hotel.

Pokey box room in warm attic

Small pokey box room - in the attic - small double bed - too warm no lift to second floor - no air conditioning- window open noisy outside. £4 .00 for a small cappuccino

• Reviewed: 9 September 2018

Immaculate, great professionalism and friendliness from...
    • Executive Double Room

Immaculate, great professionalism and friendliness from staff, great food, very comfortable beds, property had lots of character and a great street setting.

• Reviewed: 7 September 2018

Someone from the senior management opened our bedroom door and stood by bedside of my 17 year old son (he was sleeping at the time, early morning) waking him up and asking for the day’s rent to be paid. I have never ever came across such behavior in my life! Imagine you are spending the night with your wife or girlfriend and someone from the hotel opens the door, stands by your bedside to demand payment?

Fabulous hotel, staff, comfortable rooms and quiet but excellent location, close to Guildford Centre

The only two small issues I would like improved were that they are now charging for car parking (£12.50) for an overnight stay. I think this should be waived if you are staying over. Also there were only one set of toiletries and there should have been three if it is a triple room.

Our triple room was fabulous! Extra large with a double bed and two full size single beds. It had double doors opening onto a lovely grass area and was fantastically quiet even on a busy Saturday night! Lots of plug sockets, good lighting and mirrors for getting ready to go out. There was a wedding on below us which we were initially concerned about but we heard hardly any noise at all and weren't disturbed at all. The beds were super comfy and the bath and shower facilities excellent. The check in staff and night staff were really helpful and the continental breakfast was lovely. Guildford is a beautiful city to stay over in, great shopping, fabulous restaurants and bars, we went to the new Cosy Club bar and restaurant which was lovely. Next time we may visit The Ivy. The Castle grounds were beautiful in the sunshine too. Well worth a look, there is so much to see and do when you visit here.

• Reviewed: 1 September 2018

Comfortable, clean and friendly hotel. I return to it regularly.
    • Compact Single Room

Shower rather small. Bill brought for breakfast before requested.

Friendly staff, comfortable big bed, good food. Lots of choice in Continental breakfast. Room cleaned and fresh towels every day.

• Reviewed: 1 September 2018

Very enjoyable stay - very reasonable too.

Nothing at all

We were extremely pleased with this hotel. Great value for money and within 5 minutes walk of Guildford centre - a great town and easy to get around. Breakfast was very nice too - staff friendly and helpful. Our bedroom was in an annex and was very well decorated and bed comfy, also extremely quiet. Car park for £11 for the night was excellent. Highly recommend,

• Reviewed: 30 August 2018

Nice hotel but managed in a mercenary manner.
    • Compact Single Room

Having to pay an extra £11 for over night parking and the request for £15 for checking in early. I've been a global traveller for 30+ years and have never been charged for parking or early check-in. The breakfast is over priced which is why I did not partake.

Staff were helpful and pleasant.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2018

Comfortable and a great location

Having to pay £12.50 for overnight parking. I didn't know you could pre-book parking behind the hotel, but that was full (£11 per night).

Great location. Clean and comfortable. My son (age 24) and I stayed in a small twin with an even smaller bathroom, but for one night it was good.

Got taken to what I could only describe as s basement room...

Got taken to what I could only describe as s basement room which smelt like an ashtray. After talking with a helpful member of staff we were taken to another room which was better

The stay was not pleasant, we have got the room with window in basement smelling of same old damp.

Well overall I think private hotels should allow people to manage the bookings better. We had some issues with initial booking via booking.com so we have decided to call the hotel and book directly, but they told us they are fully booked according to the system. 5 minutes later we have made another booking via booking.com and have sucefully booked the room at Mondolay for the same day.To sum up it would be nice if after a certain period of time people who actually take bookings via phone within the hotel would take into consideration rooms reserved for online booking websites, as it made them look really bad in our eyes and I don’t think it’s their fault but the system is really bad... as well we have received a room in a basement with no windows which was smelling badly of a damp, I don’t think any room with no window and damp should be priced at £88 even more I think rooms with no windows should not be classified as rooms at all... fresh air ventilation is basic health and safety! Thanks

The people at reception were helpful in terms of sorting out our problems with the room.

Nice stay

Breakfast the full English is help urself I thought it was under cooked so didn’t enjoy it but I did on previous visits

We normal book a deluxe room which is lovely this time we have a double room bed a lot smaller so I wouldn’t book that room again

Good base for Guilford

I arrived early and was told that it would cost £15 to check in early. Never come across this before - if the room is ready, why charge?

Superior rooms are as shown in the photos - large, clean and contemporary. I called ahead to reserve a parking spot for the night (£11). The location was great as it is just at the end of the High Street.

Lovely hotel in the perfect location. Friendly and helpful staff.

Breakfast however let the hotel down. No real choice for vegetarians wanting a cooked breakfast, and what was available was unappetizing as it had been sitting in a bain marie.

Dinner was fabulous, beautifully cooked and presented food. There was an excellent choice and delightful staff.

Expensive

The toilet need more cleaning and the noise out of my room was impossible. I couldn't sleep well, there was drunk people in front of my room giggling.

The size of the room as pictured in booking which was great

Nice bar, steak was good.

Tiny bathroom, which also smelled like the drain was blocked. Could easily hear the traffic outside. Very creaky flooring. Bedroom door very difficult to open and close. Breakfast expensive.

Nice bar, steak was good. Good location. Nice decor.

Friendly staff, size of suite, free wifi, vicinity to...
    • Luxury Suite

Only queen size bed in huge suite, state of furniture - looked old and uncared for. Lino on bathroom floor damaged by water and not repaired. No lift up to suite - had to bring bags up steep staircase. Having to pay for car parking

Friendly staff, size of suite, free wifi, vicinity to Guildford High Street, Molton Brown toiletries, Nespresso machine in room. Free water

Overall a fabulous place to stay

Unfortunately, we stayed for an evening meal which involved a long wait and then a meal that I had not ordered arrived as my chosen one was not available. I'm still unsure as to why the service was so poor but the bill was adjusted to reflect this.

Friendly staff, excellent room and fabulous breakfast.

Upgraded which was a bonus.

Waiting a long time in the evening for dinner, waitress and manager were great and communicated well. We were told to book later which we did but then waited an hour and a half for the food. This was reflected on the bill as our meal ended up being complimentary

Upgraded which was a bonus.

Great staff

Room was a little small and the bathroom tap was almost impossible to use without spraying everywhere. Larger rooms were available at a cost, so not really a complaint. Parking expensive, so we parked elsewhere.

Breakfast was good and the waiting staff were excellent.

NEVER AGAIN......

given room in annex.....small bathroom, basin plug not working, wc seat damaged and ill-fitting. Bed headboard old and damaged Noisy all around, cars passing, waste bins being emptied at 6.15am right outside.... Actually asked for Refund but refused. Offered complimentary night's stay instead....No Thanks! Repeat business is obviously not important to the Mandolay

stayed before in main building which has always been okay

Nice environment watch your pennies.

£10.20 for one shot of jamesons with a squirt of coke and half a glass of London Pride beer. So bar is very expensive.

Locality is good, lovely clean rooms. pleasant environment. parking spaces available.

The room was excellent!
    • Executive Double Room

Although we had a lovely stay our room was very hot in the night, even with the windows open. I should have rang for a fan but this was early hours of the morning. The shower/bath was hard to operate. When we checked in the woman on reception told us the bar shuts at midnight which was incorrect. The bar auctally closed at 11pm. So we only had one drink. Also she told us check out time was midday. Which to me means 12pm. Check out was auctally 11am. Which led us being called in the morning to tell us we had missed check out time. We stayed in room 94.

The room was excellent! Lovely and clean! And plenty of space. The bathroom was also lovely and a very good sized TV. The staff were friendly when I arrived on check in and check out times. All together the stay was lovely and I would book again

Poor property, disappointing interior, not as advertised, stingy & aggressively rude reception staff

Rooms not at all as shown on website. They are tired, with sunken, overused mattresses, poor decor and finishings and NO A/C! We were v hot all the time - and v disappointed. Management know this is a problem as they supply desk fans - entirely inadequate! No fan/ventialtion in room or bathroom. Housekeeping poor and hotel approach is very stingy. Triple rooms did not have enough towels. One packet of biscuits for a room of 3. Toiletries in short supply. No point raving about your supply of Molton Brown toiletries if there are not enough to go around the number of people sharing a room! Plus, not replenished?! Had to push reception to give us more of these! Breakfast average. Cooked food greasy, coffee was not filter, granules were used. In keeping with the overall cheapness of the hotel, this was weak and tastless. Encountered v rude receptionist Sandra who entered into a fight with us when we challenged incorrect payment advice given to us by a colleague. Appalling customer service! Quite how or why Conde Nast associate themselves with this poor property is beyond my comprehension. This is not a boutique hotel in any sense! It must qualify as a 4* on account of its conferencing facilities etc, because I would rate it as no more than a 3* and would ABSOLUTELY NOT recommend it.

The location is great as it’s so close to town.

The location is great as it’s so close to town. We got upgraded on arrival which was a lovely added bonus. Plus the barman, Costes, was amazing. He was so attentive and friendly, his cocktails were amazing, really made a great end to our night.

Very good location in terms of being in the centre of...
    • Compact Single Room

No free parking on site so had to pay for this to stay.

Very good location in terms of being in the centre of Guildford. Molten Brown toiletries were a bonus!

The position is perfect for centre of Guildford.
    • Compact Single Room

My single room was at the front of the hotel, there was a floodlight shining directly into my window. There was a large slatted wooden blind which did not keep out the extremely bright light and a flimsy curtain which did nothing. A serious blackout blind is needed. The room was clean but the corridors and staircase of the hotel are shabby. Due to a very loud and disruptive party, there were people running around the corridors shouting all night. I would have expected the staff to have intervened. I visit Guildford regularly and would like to stay there again but frankly it would take a lot to persuade me to part with money for two nights without sleep.

The position is perfect for centre of Guildford.

Nice hotel, close to centre of Guildford.

The bathroom was small with only a tiny basin but as we were only there for one night it didn't matter too much. Parking at the hotel was very expensive but there is a public car park opposite which was very much cheaper.

The breakfast was very good. A good variety and full English was well cooked. The staff were all friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 18 August 2018

My debit card had been deducted before we stayed.

My debit card had been deducted before we stayed. Leaving me overdrawn. We usually use another card when we are checking in. Payments were switched over promptly but it had not been paid back yesterday

Not worthy of 4 stars

Small room with no air conditioning or mini bar.... Not a 4 star service. We ate at the restaurant. Burgers and fish and chips were OK but not exactly fine dning

Friendly staff and the fact we could leave our luggage all day.

Comfortable but costly.
    • Compact Single Room

Breakfast overpriced. £11.50 for 2 slices of toast and coffee ridiculous. Bar prices on the steep side. Very poor, in fact lacking, waiter service. Having to pay for car park (luckily we were able to park at relation's house) a joke.

Extremely clean and comfortable rooms and bed. Generous selection of good quality complementary toiletries.

Well rested, well fed

The breakfast buffet was generous and upscale. However, the english breakfast items were overcooked and soggy from sitting in the chafing dishes.

The rooms were stunning and spacious. The location was easily walkable to the centre of town or the rail stations. The staff were helpful and friendly.

Good nite sleep
    • Compact Single Room

The room I had was in the basement and there was a creeking noise from the ground floor in the morning.

Quality finish of the rooms and nice location.

• Reviewed: 11 August 2018

XXxx
    • Compact Single Room

Staffs no friendly. Some staffs dont understand english well very.

Some of staffs did not speak English very well. Too much misunderstanding when i ordering in the restaurant

Great Independent Hotel

The hotel was carrying out decorative repairs to the front of the property and whilst it didn’t impact on us greatly it might have been nice to have been forewarned of these works!

Friendly, helpful staff. Good location, with everything needed on hand! All in all perfect for our needs! It is good to see an independent hotel thriving in these times.

• Reviewed: 8 August 2018

Pleasant staff.
    • Compact Single Room

The room was impossibly hot/ the window could only be minimally opened. I only slept for < 3 hours each night. Also I think that the opaque glass in the bathroom is only effective when there is no light on in the bathroom. I usually eat in the hotel but the dinner I had was very poor, excessively salty and the meat was off. I was not charged for this.

Pleasant staff. Accommodation usually good and well appointed.

The bedroom (executive) was very comfortable in very warm...

The bedroom (executive) was very comfortable in very warm weather. The reception staff were very helpful with requests for info and help (taxis) The location is very good for access to the High Street

The overall experience was OK, but I would expect more from a hotel that aspires to 4 stars.

Sunday breakfast was shambolic. A supposedly 4-star hotel shouldn’t need to rely on ‘staff shortages’ as an excuse. Drinks prices in the bar were steep for not especially good wine. There seemed to be no functioning extractor fan in the bathroom.

It was very short and ideally placed for where I was going the next day
    • Compact Single Room

The room I was in was tiny with No A/C although an air mover (Fan) was provided it did little to move air around the room

The down stairs section of the hotel was very modern

• Reviewed: 3 August 2018

Very nice hotel close to Guildford centre.

The hotel bar seemed very expensive, and they wouldn't charge drinks to the room for some reason.

Very nice hotel close to Guildford centre. Private parking at the rear of the hotel at a reasonable rate. The booking and checkin were perfect. Very helpful staff. Nice, comfortable hotel.

Poor stay

Room was not clean. We couldn’t get the air con to work, staff told us it was broken. No fan in the room, as advertised. Staff were rude and unhelpful. On checking out and raising the aircon issue we were told it wasn’t broken but the night staff don’t know how it works. A poor stay for the money. The staff could do with a customer focus course!

I will never stay in this hotel again.

There should definitely be air conditioning in EVERY room. When I stayed there outside was 31C, I was put into a room with no air conditioning where the temperature was 40C and there was only 1 tiny ventilator. I was like in a sauna. There should be a lift. Repair works shouldn't be done when you have guests in the room- while was in this "sauna room" a maintenance guy started knocking in the morning and it turned out he was renewing the wallpaper on the wall. Overall the staff was friendly but one lady that checked us in left us feeling like we had disturbed her and we were not so welcome there.

The hotel was within 15-20 min walk of the city centre.

Wonderful - but skip breakfast if it's even a bit busy.....you'll be wasting a lot of time waiting.
    • Luxury Suite

Miserable breakfast set-up. Got down for breakfast at 9.45am, waited for 20 minutes in disorderly Q, no one knew what was happening, no tables, suggested prepping table in bar which was done - then there were just scraps of food left and an unspecified wait time for cooking. Needs a leader and a bit of planning. Ended the stay negatively which was a shame.

Great location, great room, great bar, great reception team....

Good hotel in Guildford

It was extremely hot on the top floor. Normally, Guildford isn't so hot, but last week was a heatwave in England. We were provided with a fan. The restaurant was cool, but the higher up you went, the more it felt like a sauna. Also, as our room was under the eaves, the closet was only halfsize, and was a bit inconvient for hanging suits and dresses.

Good location near the High Street in Guildford, nice facilities.

Tried to get 2 coffees from the Bar on Saturday afternoon.

Tried to get 2 coffees from the Bar on Saturday afternoon. There were 3 young staff. 1 blonde lady looks like she was in charge was more interested in doing something on the till a d just looked st me. A second young girl with glasses just ignored me and communicated with the blonde. A young man came to the bar smiled and then started talking to the blonde after tame my order but the blonde lady told him to serve ice to a gent that was stood st the bar after i arrived. When he did start to attempt to make a coffee he didn't know which cup to use for a cappuccino. When i saw the tiny cup i said is that for a cappuccino. Wanting to charge £4 per cup was a joke it was tiny so i said no i will make one in my room. Guests should be not charged for coffee as we pay enough for the room. What a rip off.

Stay spoiled by the small, cramped room
    • Compact Single Room

Bedroom was far too cramped. Inadequate storage space. Room far too hot. No Ac apparently. The fan wsasn't good enough.

Good proximity to High Street

Great location for short stay

Staff were not friendly and at times made us feel unwelcome. no aircon (fans provided) or bottled water in the room. Parking was not included in the booking price and had to be pre-reserved.

Location was great! easy walking distance to shops + high street. Room was large and clean.

• Reviewed: 28 July 2018

The room was unbearably hot.

The room was unbearably hot. It was impossible to sleep. The fact that there were two fans in the room suggested this was a known problem. Very unhappy.

good but not good at 300 pounds per night ....could do a way better job

Drinking Water scarcity as the front staff were not keen in filling the water bootle in the desk or the quantity was very limited. They should know it is hot weather and the hotel should arrange water for their guests

Charming boutique hotel for a quiet get away from downtown London.

We loved this little gem! I thought it would be nice, but it was much cozier and comfier than expected. The room size was quite large by most standards in the UK, the beds were comfortable, the bathroom was a fair size and all in all, it was very charming. And very close to the London Road train station. I would highly recommend to anyone making a stop in Guildford!

Fantastic nights stay all round!

We thought that for the size of the room it could accommodate a larger bed but the double was very comfortable and good quality pillows and linen.

Our room was way above our expectations. It was clean, modern with all facilities. It was very comfortable and plenty of room. It was conveniently position and easy to find. The staff were very welcoming and helpful.

Good location, but not the cleanest!

The rooms were too hot, the fans provided were just blowing the warm air around the room. This made it very uncomfortable to sleep. The bar area, on close inspection was not very clean. All the ledges and behind table lamps had not been dusted in a long time.

The location was great, just a short stroll to the town centre.

Not recommendable
    • Compact Single Room

My room was a twin bed room on the second floor. Access only on foot, no lift. The room was extremly load as it was over the bar. Drunken and very load guests were sitting on the terrace without considering guests who wanted to sleep. The room was very dirty, the floor full of bits and pieces, the lid of the toilet had very deep and obviously long last yellow stains which was absolutely inacceptable. One drawer of a chestdrawer was hanging out and it was impossible to close it. The food in the restaurant was uneatable. Mjuch too salty and drenched in gravy.

I have stayed in the Mandolay already several times. The staff was friendly and helpful as usual.

Some of the shortcomings need to be addressed, but I would recommend highly on balance.

We booked an executive room and were initially placed in a 'family' room upstairs in a 'coachhouse' addition to the side of the building. It was OK (small for a family of four, if filled to capacity), but the stairs were an issue for one of our party so we asked for a switch. We were then placed in an executive room in the main house which was at the back, overlooking a nice garden area, but soon discovered that none of the rooms in the main house had any air conditioning (on a hot summer night this proved an issue...). The bed was a standard UK double and I would have expected a kingsize bed in an executive room.

Billed as an upscale hotel and conference centre this property has charm and style in abundance. The main building is 19th Century neo-gothic architecture on the outside, but has been modernised inside to a very hight standard. The rooms were super-clean and tidy, bathrooms with bath and shower facilities were supplied with Molton Brown 'posh' toiletries and the staff were super-helpful. We sampled a room service meal of caesar salad with 'sticky chicken' which was outstandingly good, though at 15 pounds a portion, somewhat pricy! Overall the aspirations of this property seem excellent.

Best medium well steak I’ve had in a while.

Poor network signal in my room. Room service is a bit slow.

Best medium well steak I’ve had in a while. Staff are very efficient and genuinely nice. Close to shops and easy transport links.

The (paid) car park to the rear

We booked a superior room of 25m2 with views and an eating area with table and other facilities that included bottled water. What we were given was a hot attic room, (we arrived as booked after 9pm and the aircon was off) up narrow stairs (no lift), a cramped space with views only of the steep roof of attic rooms either side through the one skylight window, and with a small armchair the only space to balance our one medium-sized suitcase. The water we asked for on arrival after a very warm four hour drive on a Friday evening was never brought to us. The tiny bathroom basin (with no space to place our toilet bags) was blocked and the promised contact by the manager when we explained how unhappy we were on departure, never happened. If this is a superior room we would not recommend booking a double, which they promoted at the time we booked as smaller than other rooms and with ‘upper floors accessible by stairs only’ - as these warnings only appeared on the double room information we opted to book a superior room. We will not return here again.

The (paid) car park to the rear

Will book again if in the area. recommended.

No air conditioning. Do not like showers in baths. Need to change this. (lots of hotels guilty of this)

Nice hotel, nicely decorated. Comfortable bed. Good bar but wine pricey.

Looks good, no service - stay else where
    • Compact Single Room

It was so hot in the room no a/c had to take two cold showers during the night. Complained to the receptionist who didn’t care. Gave email address to Customer Service Manager who didn’t respond to mails

Nice looking hotel and room

Disappointed
    • Executive Double Room

Not enough information given regarding breakfast options. Car parking fee on top of room price on arrival. We booked an upper floor room in the hotel and was given a ground floor room in the coach house.

Bar staff very good. Room excellent Location good

Comfy room close to guildford station but a bit expensive for what youve got

Noisy, shower near the toilets, bathroom not very handy, no YouTube or netflix on tv, a bit expensive for a basement room

Comfy bed, flat tv, comfy room

very helpful staff - the manager on the day also was very...

very helpful staff - the manager on the day also was very helpful as we had some small issues with the room he sorted it quick and compensated me with FREE breakfast. brilliant service

Good central location

Rooms quite basic and expensive for what you get, silly price for breakfast when local establishments are nearer and are far better value...

Good central location

This hotel is very well located within easy walking distance...

At 3 pm on Saturday afternoon when England were in the World Cup semi finals, there was only one rather slow girl serving in the bar! Poor planning by management. The public areas and corridors are air conditioned but sadly the bedrooms are not so it is difficult to sleep with rising summer temperatures. One fan doesn't begin to deal with it and at £165 per night I would expect guest comfort was important.

This hotel is very well located within easy walking distance of the town centre shops, pubs and restaurants. The breakfast staff were very helpful, efficient and courteous.

It was a very pleasant stay.

They still do not have air conditioning in all the bedrooms. Better check in advance.

Excellent location in the charming city of Guildford! A few minutes walk from stores, restaurants and touristic attractions. Comfortable bedrooms, bar and restaurant with tables outside to enjoy the nice weather. You can order extra warm alternatives for breakfast and the pastries were very flaky. Very attentive and kind staff.

Very pleasant.

Rooms a bit smaller than they look in the photos! Also - no elevator so request a ground floor room if you have luggage.

Really lovely staff, good restaurant menu & great location.

Tiny room, decent restaurant
    • Compact Single Room

No parking spaces available in the back, would have had to pay for it separately, ended up parking half a mile away. Room was tiny, and I mean so small that you could not get a double bed and a double wardrobe into it.

Great service in the restaurant, I witnessed the staff dealing very professionally with very rude customers angling for discounts while claiming poor service. I was there the whole time they were and judging by the content of their conversations that I couldn't help but overhear, they were just really terrible people. They were two couples in their early forties conversing about how drunk they had been getting, how much money an ex husband was not paying, how much money they were making on property, how drinking when pregnant is OK and claiming the NHS says that it is allowed). The staff were perfectly courteous, apologetic for the non-existent slights the customers perceived, and to me provided great service over lunch and dinner, as I stayed in the restaurant all day to work. The restaurant manager had been there only a few days and handled it very well.

Arrived very early after a stupidly early flight from France...

Arrived very early after a stupidly early flight from France with my son. Staff were so kind and helpful. Managed to get an early check in at a slight extra cost which was exactly what I needed.