Reviews of Marine Hotel 3 stars

Marine Terrace, Aberystwyth, SY23 2DA, United Kingdom

Room was certainly very small as was the bed and with a husband who is over 6’1 it was a squash would have liked a better mattress from a hotel

The bathroom was spotless and it was fine for a night

Difficult to park , room and en suite smaller than expected .

Great view of the sea,big comfortable bed and tasty breakfast, lots going on around Hotel.

• Deluxe Room

Wasn't what I would describe as a deluxe room. The room felt cramped with the four poster and all the other furniture. There were too many mirrors, the light fitting had been distressed but just made it look dirty. The bath taps were loose. The tea, coffee and biscuits were very basic. The room lacked a deluxe finish, more attention needs to be given to the small details. The only information in the room was a menu.

The view from the room was excellent, the location was very good. I enjoyed the jacuzzi bath. Breakfast was ok.

• Deluxe Room

Reception staff not overly welcoming upon arrival and when we notified the staff of problems during the stay, the weren’t overly concerned and no apology given. We have stayed at this hotel many of times, ranging from deluxe rooms, pet friendly rooms and standard rooms. On this visit we decided to treat ourselves to a deluxe room again, however this room was definitely not deluxe. The large bed advertised is actually two twin beds pushed together at different heights and different support mattresses which leaves a huge lump and gap in the centre of the bed which makes it impossible to lie in the centre of the bed. The room was incredibly hot, even with the window open. I contacted reception to see if there were any fans available and she was unsure and said she would get back to us, we heard nothing back during our stay and no fan given to us for our stuffy room. During the night we had to keep the window open due to the heat which meant the noise from outside the hotel kept us awake along with the noise from other guests in the corridors during the night. The bath plug hole and the sink plug hole kept making a bubbling noise throughout the night and when opening the bathroom door the smell of awful sewage lingered in the bathroom and then into bedroom from 7am onwards. The room is tired and has mould on bathroom ceiling. Definitely not the “deluxe” room advertised and paid for. Sadly we won’t be staying at our favourite Marine hotel anymore! 😒

Great location, lovely sea view. Breakfast is outstanding. Breakfast staff provided excellent customer service.

• Family Suite

Breakfast was lovely, didn’t feel rushed at all as we went towards the end of the tine slot We couldn’t work out how the shower worked and the staff were very helpful. Also topped up the tea and milk for us when we asked at reception

the friendliness of staff was poor, the room was in the 'attic' so needed to duck all the time to avoid the rafters and we are only 5 feet tall anyway and after the fire alarm sounded at 4am Mon morning and all of us guests emptied on to the seafront in our p.j's, we were met with no fire brigade, no head count, no explanation or apology, no staff other than what appeared to be a caretaker telling us to wait a bit longer before letting us back in! In the morning, I asked as there was nothing said by the hotel and was told "It was flies in the alarm" !!!! REALLY and nothing more, was glad to leave.

the bed was comfy

• Family Room

Air conditioning on third view. Very humid. Also window in bathroom need looking at as they rattled in the strong winds

Breakfast fantastic spead See view brilliant

Low quality breakfast, small room

Woke up in the middle of night by fire alarm. Low quality breakfast. Saturday night we got woken up by wedding held at the venue with excessive music being heard in room.

the only thing i would point out is problem with parking, despite hotel having lots of parking possibilities it is not easy to find a space.. (especially when there is a local event going on)

fantastic location, opposite the sea. Lovely place and great food. hotel is based in the centre of promenade near all local attractions so everything is in the walking distance.

Breakfast was included but there were ants on the table and in the salt shakers.

Room was absolutely lovely. The decor was beautiful and the bathroom nice too - even a bath. Room was nice and clean.

I booked the hotel online but my card was declined and thus after arriving at the property, the staff asked me to pay the whole rate instead of the cheaper rate that you are entitled to when booking online beforehand. The staff did say that they had emailed me about the card decline to warn me beforehand. However, I had not received any email from the Marine Hotel concerning my card being declined.

The location was great and I also got a sea view! Breakfast was also full of options :)

• Family Suite

Bathroom size too small for a family room and children needing assistance , shower was tiny and poor pressure.

Location was excellent, room was large plenty of room for family of 4. Food was excellent. Quiet rooms. Weather was lovely and watched a fabulous sunset from the room!

Sorry to say the cleanliness was not very good. I dropped my phone on the floor behind the bed side cabinet and the dust and dirt alone was not very nice. A chair was very badly stained !! The table lamp on the dresser did not work, one of the bedside lamps was falling apart. The worst thing was the fire alarm went of and the stairs (fire escape) outside my room (decking) was rotting. So used the internal stairs.

The staff were lovely and the bed was very comfortable. Great Breakfast

Loft room

Was put into the loft room which was very cramped,especially for three grown adults the shower room and room needs an entire new makeover and being stuck in the loft room the view was very poor as the window was tiny,did ask to be moved but didn’t happen,staff were friendly,breakfast was quite good,and the atmosphere is very friendly,but I made it clear if I stay again,please please don’t put us in the loft room 😂👍

Earl grey tea, like having a mouth full of shower gel, room ok but the price needs looking at, very dated had better for less

Very nice staff, Very friendly and very knowledgeable local area

Check in staff were miserable. And not welcoming any other time I spoke to them. I was upgraded to a sea view, but I was under the impression that that’s what I’d booked and paid for anyway!

The breakfast girls were smiley and happy. The food was excellent, everything cooked to perfection.

I booked a single room for two nights, it was £160, what I got for £160 was technically a cupboard, with a toilet and shower head built in albeit...well, that and the cobwebs all around the room. Given my knowledge on arachnids the room clearly hadn’t been cleaned since last year. I am aware that as a single traveller I should expect a smaller room. However the room was tiny, it had a single bed and drawers crammed in, the toilet was tiny and if the shower was used you couldn’t turn it away from the wall otherwise it was just spraying onto the room floor. There was no sea view even though I asked for this, the window was prison cell like. In fact, the room was similar to a cell. The cell was very very dirty, like as in pure dust, cobwebs, stains, marks all around the room. There where wires everywhere, which was worrying considering if the shower was used the entire room steamed up. The room wasn’t cleaned during my stay, and when I asked for coffee at reception one morning they said I should have got some by the maids that day. On my reply that I didn’t they appeared to not believe me. She did later bring just, and only just, coffee sachets to my room. I’ve never felt as lone, loserish and stuck in a cupboard ever as a lone traveller before.

Breakfast was good, the two young servers in there were very friendly and kind. The location was superb.

Room was too small and feeling a little tired.

The family room we had was too small for a family and a dog, I would say we got moved from another room and it was very late in getting it ready, I know it was a bank holiday but I made extra time to get there in good time to avoid the rush. little expensive for the size of the room. I have stopped here many times before this was a feeling of " that will do. "

Thought the shower head could do with a clean that's the only thing

I loved absolutely everything about this property was fantastic staff made me and children feel so welcome had a conversation with us lady on reception was lovley very friendly and welcoming our view from our room was fantastic just what I needed could hear the sea wonderful

• Family Room

Room a little tired, a lot of noise in the early hours outside in the yard our room overlooked, and wasn’t asked by reception how our stay was.

Friendly helpful barman also the breakfast staff, nice big room and bathroom, great location.

• Family Suite

Not much of a greeting on check-in & not a word from the same receptionist when checking out.

Room was great & guys serving breakfast were lovely .

Dated,attic room not very comfortable, photos on booking look bert than reality. Car vandalised just in front of the main entrance of the hotel. No cctv apart of just the front door.

Good location on the seafront,clean,free wifi and breakfast.

We were in no. 47. So we had to go outside to get to the breakfast room. Unfortunately it rained both mornings we were there. However the room was really good.

Stayed during Easter weekend and had the Easter Sunday lunch which was exceptional.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Breakfast was fabulous, the tea was great normally hotel tea not good , you didnt feel rushed to get out you could take your time 😊very enjoyable overall 😊bonus was being able to park at the property 😊

Internet was disappointing. Had to put in details EVERY time it was used. Warnings that the site was not secure. Some noise in the middle of the night, seemingly from homeless person trying to gain access.

Lovely view from our room. Good range of choice at breakfast. Parking was free. Comfortable bed. Ideal location for exploring the area, especially the spectacular views along the coastal path in both directions.

Very nice room newly decorated a bit on the small size but compact. Sea view and the sound of the waves crashing on the beach was an added addition from the room I was allocated.

We paid extra to upgrade to a room with a view of the sea. The view and window sitting area were great but the room was very small, and the ensuite was tiny.

Excellent location on the promenade and very close to the town centre. Very convenient parking on the prom or in the hotel carpark. Sea view. Pleasant staff. We'd stay here again.

• Family Suite

Car park not substantial bit of a squeeze. Wallpaper hanging off. Headboard on bed was loose. Radiator knob broke someone came to turn heating on but couldn't turn back off as no control. Blood stains on door and bunk bed. Carpet was dirty. Phone was broken so couldn't order room service if wanted too. Turned up for breakfast sat ourselves no one to seat us. For a 2 night stay I wouldn't pay 333 for what we received. Staff didn't seem to care at reception when made a complaint and didn't even ask us how our stay was? Maybe because they knew what the answer would be.

Liked the separate rooms for the kids, however no door.

The breakfast was nice with plenty of it, we booked Sunday lunch and that was superb it was packed with locals and was run like a military operation. Great value

• Family Suite

View from the family suite - looking at a wall.

Lovely location. Family room was spacious. Food was nicer than expected. Great choice for breakfast. Staff were pleasant and helpful.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Ensuite bathroom bit tired & curtains didn’t draw properly so too light in room. Some nice toiletries would have been good.

Sea views, comfy bed. Parking. Was there for a wedding. Great meal, helpful staff. Buffet breakfast, lots of choice, delicious. Lovely old hotel with many period features. Owners are doing a great job 👍

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Older hotel that is in need of updating. I paid for a superior room and my friend had a standard room - both rooms were very similar with same view - but she had a much nicer bathroom. So make sure to check and ask about the rooms. It was disappointing.

Good location with great water views. Staff was friendly.

Food was excellent,especially the Sunday buffet lunch. Lovely room overlooking the sea!comfortable beds,and heating just right not overpowering.Staff were friendly and smiling,seemed a happy place to work. Added bonus plenty of parking,which I believe can be a problem in Aberystwyth.

We didn't really like going outside the hotel and back into the foyer to the breakfast room. As it happened the weather was lovely, had it been raining it wouldn't have been a pleasant experience.The drinks at the bar were quite expensive. The wet room in our luxury suite was nice with a hot shower but the whole room got soaked including the toilet maybe due to inadequate drainage.

We paid to upgrade to a luxury room as the room we were given(and paid quite a lot for) was tiny and in the attic. My husband is 6ft 3 and banged his head several times. The luxury room was lovely. The bed was very comfortable and there was plenty of room for relaxing. We had a sofa and table with chairs. The wooden shutters were a nice touch. We had plenty of storage space and clean towels daily. The cooked breakfast was lovely and the staff catered well for my vegetarian Coeliac diet. Plenty of tea and coffee on offer with a selection of fruit juices, pancakes, cereal and fruit too. There was no hairdryer in the room but when we requested one the lady on reception gave us one straight away. We had a lovely time at Aberystwyth. The mountain railway was an unusual experience which we enjoyed and the views at the top were beautiful. We had a coffee and gluten free carrot cake in the cafe which was delicious.

Was an event going on, I had booked dinner for the evening in advance saying we had the dog, they forgot about us and left us for well over an hour before we got a menue even though we had reminded them we where there. We got our meal near on two hours after we had booked, we where starving.once delt with the staff where good. But not great that our booking was fogotten and it took so long to sort it.

Everything was perfect.

We were very lucky to get room 111 which was amazing seeing this was a last minute stay . the welcome we had on reception was brilliant and so lovely to have Welsh staff who recognized that you spoke welsh as well. very rare in hotels in wales but lovely. staff were excellent. diolch yn fawr iawn.

shower tray didnt hold the water very well...but it was a great hot shower.

We were upgraded to a family suite, which was super. The bed was massive, each side was adjustable, and one side had a massage machine! The children loved their separate part of the room & both parts had great sea views.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

We would have been happier with a room on the second floor with higher ceilings

great location, great breakfast, lots of choice. We stayed in a large attic room with a large roll top bath in the bedroom. The room was very comfortable but the slope of the ceilings either end of the room meant we kept bumping our heads. This room may have been suited to a younger, more agile couple but as pensioners we're not quite as bendy as we used to be. Staff were very friendly and helpful. The views from our room were great if a little restricted by the small attic windows. The lift only went as far as the second floor so we had to climb a flight of stairs to our room on the third floor, not a problem for us but may be for others.

The staff were very friendly and efficient. The room was small but very comfortable. The breakfast was brilliant and overall great value for money. We eat in the bar in the evening and again great food and plenty of it.

being picky .. sofa bed was too hard .. my son was not comfy wifi kept dropping off

Breakfast was lovely Location was perfect We were in the top floor so quiet and peaceful We arrived at 2.00 and our room was not ready (not been cleaned from previous guests) although we were informed of this and could still go and unload our luggage, the room was clean and fresh by the time we came back. reasonable prices at the bar too ..

Again, see previous comments - the room we stayed in needs attention and extra cleaning

See previous comments - also we were pleased with the breakfast - lots of choice and helpful staff

Where do I start? We were at the very top of the hotel, on the third floor, in an attic room. The room was tiny and you couldn't all stand up at the same time!! It was totally unsuitable for three people. Being at the top of the hotel, it was very warm and the window did not open. The main light switch fell out every time you touched it, which I would say was hazard. One bedside lamp flickered, whilst the other could only manage a dim glow. The light over the washbasin in the bathroom did not work and the shower was lacking in water and when you did manage to get any, the temperature was uncontrollable. The bathroom itself was so small you were unable to dry yourself in it. When I mentioned these things to the hotel receptionist they said that we should have booked with them direct and inferred that the quality of the room related to our use of Booking.com! Do you ask them to provide your customers with the worst rooms available? To be fair, when I complained in the evening about the unbearable heat, having already unpacked and on my way out to dinner, the lady on reception offered me what she said was a 'better' room. My feelings are if these rooms were still available, why was I given a sub-standard room in the first place!

The location.

Box room. Heating in room was either full on or totally off. Bathroom was as cold as a fridge with cold drafts coming through the cracked grouting of all places. Because of the after thought placement of the room I can see why a hoover doesnt make a regular appearance. I am mindful that this is out of season and may have reduced numbers in guests as well as staff but in my book that is the time to shine.

Location. Comfy bed and clean sheets.

Single room is slightly on the small side and no single rooms have a view of the sea (that’s fair enough though).

Super comfortable bed with massage features, great full English breakfast, location is right by the pier and only about 10 minute walk from the train station. Certainly great value for money out of season (not sure what the prices are like in summer though!)

• Small Double Room

One curtain was hanging off it's rail. Only discovered it at 10.00pm so too late to be fixed. When reception staff were told in the morning,they were totally disinterested. Breakfast was poor. Mouldy fruit in a basket. Poor quality bacon and sausages.

Very helpful receptionist, and a brilliant waiter served us with a first class breakfast, so special thanks to them both. We would definitely book again.

• Deluxe Room

We got to our room and there was hair in the bath tub, mold growing on the ceiling, and everything within the room looked like it was bought at a garage sale. This was supposed to be a nice hotel, we were left underwhelmed. We discover the hair and mold after the from desk had closed for the night. When discussing it with them in the Morningg they were comfrontive and seemed not to care about the experience of thier guest. They didn't try do anything to make it right which was a horrible considering the price we had to pay for a room that hotel which really should be 1 star. PLEASE DO NOT BOOK AT THIS HOTEL!

The town was great but this hotel is absolutely horrible.

A few odd things could so easily improve the hotel, towels and sheets outside doors were a hazard as corridor on the small side Lift wasn't working and if we have travelled with Mum in Law as we often do, we would have had a problem with stairs. Hotel needs to inform on booking this.

For the money we paid this is the best hotel we have stayed. As it was January and quiet they upgraded us to a sea view without being asked Its a 3* and you can see why but it is the very top of a 3* rating and I would definitely go back .. Ample car parking in several different areas at the back of the hotel

• Deluxe Room

It was rather a shame that breakfast for the relatively small number of guests was self served in the one room without a view of the waterfront. There were, indeed, suitable dining facilities at the seaward-facing part of the hotel but, as these lacked a hot buffet, table service would have then been necessary. This would, of course, have made perfect the otherwise very satisfactory experience.

The wonderful view of the sea from deeply comfortable armchairs set in the bedroom window.

• Deluxe Room

Sea views are fabulous. Our room had a four poster bed and spa bath. The location is right on the better beach and right by the town. Aberystwyth is an ideal location for walking in winter, with lots of coffee shops.

• Deluxe Room

The two pig skin chairs in the room apart from that I liked everything

Bed was amazing best nights sleep I've had in a hotel, staff were very friendly would highly recommend booking a deluxe room with sea view jacuzzi was excellent aswell

Some breakfast cereal was past best before and it came out like little pebbles into the bowl. Tried a few and they were un edible. Was given apple juice that had gone off, it tasted like a bad tasting cider. The lift did not work. The Bath spa got in the way at times, it needs to have the corner cut out to make it flat against the wall. The TV needed moving as the four poster bed got in the way. The bed mattress hurt our backs slightly.

Room 224, It was a nice room, that was clean and offered wonderful views from the bay windows out to sea. The spa bath was also a nice touch too. Infact despite some bad reviews from others, cannot imagine why most were so harsh as the room was undeserving of that. The level of service was also decent, a grumpy receptionist as mentioned in other reviews was not there.

• Deluxe Room

Low quality pillows and duvet. We paid for top end room but those items were the cheap artificial fiber type not feather or down. The breakfast is served too early. You have to be down by 9am as it all gets taken away at half past toast was cold, coffee lukewarm. Sausages are nice as is the bacon. Don't like the buffet style self service. Would prefer freshly cooked to order. Toiletries are a bit old school and smell like what your great grandma might have used. Also a blanket or throw would have been nice. Something to snuggle up in whilst watching the sea from the arm chair. Decor is very 1990s next home furnishing. The Jacuzzi had a crack in front panel. It worked fine though.

Great view of the sea. You can actually hear the waves if you open the window. Mattress was comfy.shame about the pillows. Liked the little Santa rug. Nice touch week before Christmas.

Arrived late in the evening from work 11.00pm and noticed the wall sockets weren't working and couldn't report it until the morning. No access to power TV, or kettle. Once reported it was restored in minutes.

Good selection breakfast buffet and a good pot of tea. Plus side bathroom and bedroom were warm good shower and bath plenty of hot water.

When we arrived the wind was blowing and the sea was quite rough. It was exciting but not very helpful for sleeping until we got used to the background music of the wind and waves! It is single glazing so take something warm to wear when you sit in the window of the restaurant downstairs.

We were given a room on the first floor with a sea view. It was amazing and we were both surprised and pleased. Previously we had a room on the otherside of the hotel. We have booked the room for next year because it suited us so well.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

An excellent choice was provided for breakfast for those who survived the wedding partying ..A special thank you to the bar staff who worked so hard on Saturday evening.

The booking system. I feel we should be allocated a room number when we book not just given any room that is vacant when we arrive-- an example being my daughter and husband and two young daughters-- were staying there as well and had booked a family room but when they arrived there they were told there was no family room for them. The two girls were put in a room on the 2nd floor and the parents were given a room in an annexe with an outside entrance. I don't think that was a very good way to treat a young family and when I was told later by a friend that she had booked a single room and was put in a family room which was probably the room my daughter and family should have been in. The room booking at the hotel needs to be improved don't you think???

Food was excellent

• Small Double Room

Due to an event in the hotel, I was upgraded to a quiet part with out having to ask, and it had a sea view!!. Very thoughtful of the reception staff. Room was fine, good full breakfast on Sunday morning, what more can you ask.

Beautiful hotel. The room we were on 339 wasn't really big enough for a small double and a single bed. A full double would have been better. Plus the sealant in the shower could do with replacing. A little TLC needed.

The shower head was heavily limescaled which whilst not enough to complain about it’s the attention to detail that let the room down. There was also a wedding being held, which was lovely, but as a paying guest unable to really use the bar downstairs or take full advantage of the facilities I would have appreciated some advanced notice.

Everything was nice. But not enough to completely wow me.

Smallest double room I’ve seen in a hotel. No room for wardrobe or even place to keep second bag. Tv only had a handful of stations working. Not great if I’m honest, I’ve stayed in far nicer places at aber.

Great location and friendly staff

• Family Room

Food in restaurant was very disappointing. Breakfast was also poor. Bedroom was cold, the heating didn't appear to work.

Convenient for visiting daughter at the University.

• Family Suite

We enjoyed everything. There was nothing we didn't like.

Beautiful suite facing the sea. Extremely helpful staff, particularly the older waiter at breakfast who was very helpful and kind but we didn't get his name.

the price

All was good at the hotel, reception staff were fab, and particular the waitress on day two of our stay, (short young lady) smiley and cheerful. Room was clean except for the window sill crevice however this could be down to the condensation of the old sash windows, so all was ok. Breakfast was excellent, and location was perfect, I would go back but not for price we paid

Room average. The smart massage bed with raisable head and foot area was fun but a new carpet could have been higher priority.

Ironing board and iron in the room. Good choice of vegetarian food in bar:restaurant.

Parking was a bit of a nightmare with insufficient spaces for the number of guests and tight spaces due to the layout of the parking areas.

Comfy beds. Good breakfast. Wonderful situation on the seafront.

Loss of power to room sockets on first night, heating hit and miss, TV poor, WIFI connection extremely poor always having to reconnect, bathroom very tired, water drain from showers and basins very poor( we had three rooms), no reception staff before 8.00am on Saturday or Sunday shutting on both days at 10.30pm, car park facilities poor for number of rooms and function facilities.

Location, cleanliness of bedding and towels, housekeeping tea were very good and helpful

The 4' 'double' bed was smaller than advertised on my booking receipt. The room was not very warm, and the radiator impossible to control - it didn't come on. The sound on the TV was distorting even at low level, and the toilet didn't flush very efficiently. The breakfast was average at best, and certainly not worth the £9.95 charged for extra guests.

Cant think of anything

The waiter who was on Monday night and Tuesday morning was very helpful and advised us where to go for local attractions. We missed him on Wednesday morning to thank him. Hotel was nice and warm. Rooms were clean and comfortable. The location was ideal for what we wanted.

• One-Bedroom Suite with Sofa Bed

the staff were "shambolic" to say the least. It was like the real staff were away and some strangers had moved in! misinformed about the car park at rear, no directions to room until prompted, no drill about lay out of hotel - answers only. waited hour thirty for food and my daughter was brought out plain pasta with a tomato ketchup bottle as "pasta with tomato sauce" - and such lack lustre response as i suggested that wasn't really a meal!!

smart clean hotel in a great location, room clean and laid out well, that's the good bits!

• Superior Double or Twin Room

I did not like that the shower room was so small and that it was completely blocked up so much so water not going down and black gunge coming up. They, admittedly sent up handyman on Monday but did not fancy using the shower after this.

The breakfast was fine and staff on bar and breakfast room good

The way the shower works was not obvious but it did work and that was all that really mattered. I could have wished that there had not been so much outdoor lighting at night. Or that the curtains had been black outs because the light was a bit disturbing early in the morning (around 5am or thereabouts) and for a minute or two I thought it was daytime. But was not unhappy and used the extra time well.

The bed was very comfy and the breakfast was excellent - they even had lactose free food and gluten free. The black pudding was excellent. The receptionist was quite delightful. I was allowed to stay an extra hour and even to keep my car parked an hour beyond that. I'd go back in a shot. Their only problem is that as a listed building they can't easily change their windows to double glazed and the expense would be huge but the rooms are not cold and the views are great. Very cozy and welcoming place without being all over you. Just charming.

• Small Double Room

The whole hotel was pleasant, had great facilities including a pleasant bar & restaurant with good quality food, is in a central location, and the room was clean, well furnished, comfortable and of a good size. A real blend of premium features and good value.

• Family Room

Room was tired but think that we were given a room at the back of the hotel that hadn't been refurbished due to the extreme weather conditions. Which was thoughtful. (Gale force winds, road closed, high waves leaving sand on the road.)

Hairs in bed. Bin full of last people's rubbish. Lack of parking spaces so had to pay for parking. Bathroom dated.

Sea view. Slept well - comfy bed. Nice breakfast.

Browse Marine Hotel traveller photo gallery