Reviews of Breadsall Priory Marriott Hotel & Country Club 4 stars

Moor Road, Morley Nr Derby, Derby, DE7 6DL, United Kingdom

#12 of 23 hotels in Derby

Disappointed that the use of the spa is very very limited to guests 6am till 8am 1pm-2pm and 8pm till 11pm Had we known this prior to booking I would probably of considered an alternative place.

The surroundings

The one thing we were unhappy about was being asked to pay £10 per day for wifi in the room. It is available free in the public areas which of course is inconvenient if you just want to log on to a few emails, and in this day and age you do expect free wifi. The location was off the beaten track a bit, but we were aware of this when we booked and it did make for a very peaceful and picturesque setting.

It is a beautiful old building and our room overlooked the golf course. There is a nature walk in the grounds which skirts the golf course and is among lakes and gardens, very well maintained. The staff are very efficient and extremely pleasant, in particular the staff in the restaurants and bars are very customer focused and nothing was too much trouble. The breakfasts were excellent with everything you could think of and we also ate in both restaurants in the evening, which again we could not fault. We would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel and would certainly stay there again.

The only criticism I have would be the breakfast staff didn't seem to know what each other were doing .

The staff are smart friendly and very helpful with a good local knowledge .the room was excellent . The food absolutely delicious .

It was an extremely long way to walk with bags to our room, granted it’s a large hotel but the parking facilities for the rooms at the far end were insufficient as it’s also the parking for the golf club. Again though staff were helpful and made sure my parents were in the older part of the hotel, closer to the entrance and most facilities.

The staff were so friendly and were accommodating with our check in as we were going to a wedding so wanted the rooms earlier to get ready - very helpful. The breakfast was also really good and actually pretty good value for money.

We had to leave there and come home

Staff were so helpful and friendly the hotel grounds were stunning we went for a relaxing break and that's exactly what we got

The bathroom was tiny and the decor seemed too outdated for my taste. The drinks prices seemed extortionate also. Was charged an extra £50 to credit card without my knowledge AFTER checkout bill settled.

The bed was really comfy and bedroom view was gorgeous.

Lots of stairs from bedrooms to restaurant but it's an d property so was expecting a fair walk. Not sure I'd like to stay during the summer months as room was fairly warm and no air conditioning.

Bed was mega comfy. All the staff were really friendly and professional. Good food. My husband had the best burger he'd ever had from the restaurant near the back terrace.

• Priory King Room

Expensive breakfast Expensive drinks £4.95 for a pint of Stella Looking a bit dated in the room decor and tatty in bathroom

Tbh didn’t take the breakfast as I thought it was included in the room rate, and when they told me it was £16.95 per person I told them where to stick it! You can eat a good 3 course meal for that price. £6.95 and I might have considered it.

• Junior King Suite

their is Absolutely nothing to complain about, you have the hotel spot on with everything on site, the hotel staff were first class , and the hotel is to be commended on the whole set up, well done to everybody

Everything about the stay was excellent, the hotel staff were polite and very attentive, and the location of our room was spot on being very quiet and close to the car park, next time I will bring my golf clubs, once again thank you for a wonderful stay

Nothing, its was all great.

beautiful location with well kept grounds and house. Breakfast was awesome and so were the staff and facilities. There are al lot of stairs though so not too great for people with limited physical ability.

It is quite expensive but I understand that it has to be with the grounds and the beautiful building, drinks were extortionate

The staff mixed up the rooms and a few other things but they made up for it by treating us to a couple bottles of wine and a bottle of prosecco so it was worth the mix up! It was a beautiful building and the grounds were stunning. Beds and pillows were extremely comfy and I loved how you could link your device up to your tv in the room!

I had booked this for a treat for my husband for his birthday. When we arrived we were allocated a twin room, I had booked a 'delux king' and when I asked for the room to be changed I was informed that it had happened because I booked through booking.com and I should have contacted Marriot directly. This was not a particularly helpful response - we had come for a special night away, if there is an issue between the hotel and the internet broker then, in my opinion, that shouldn't really be my problem or affect the fact that I did not receive what was advertised. Eventually another room was found. The rooms are shabby and not clean. There was a stained sofa in the corner with pen all over it. the tables and surfaces were dusty and tired. We didn't bother with the bathroom as it was pretty grim and there was a large spider and cobweb over the plughole. The leisure club was nice and had lovely changing rooms so we showered and changed there. We enjoyed the swimming pool and sauna. The restaurant was fully booked so we had to eat in the tempo bar, which was fine. We sat outside and looked out over a carpark, which was such a shame, because the grounds and the golf course are spectacular and it would have been nice to have a drink and take in the view. Breakfast was good - there was a great variety of cold and cooked options. The coffee was cold and we couldn't drink it so had to ask for more, which was a shame. It was unfortunately not the treat I was expecting. I rarely complain, but if you are looking for a romantic break this is not it. I think it would be fantastic for golf or a business night away, but it was not what I was expecting from the website or reviews.

The setting is beautiful, the grounds are lovely.

Free WiFi in rooms would be ideal Breakfast in your room was sometimes not as hot as expected but good.

Everything about the hotel was clean and fresh. The surrounding beautiful and peacefull. The spa experience was ok and I think could have been better. The cast iron restuarant made absolutely delicious food with an exceptional service. Most of our time was spent outside walking the grounds with gorgeous scenes. The pool was well heated , just a lil crowded. The tempo bar had a pleasant atmosphere outside.

The staff made several mistakes with our bill and failed to keep our half bottle of wine for the second night. We hadn't booked in time for the third night so ate at the bar instead and that was a good experience.

Room had lovely views and was in a quite part of the hotel.

Heritage of property and it’s grounds. Bedroom and dining facilities. Friendliness and staff efficiency. Will re-visit and stay longer when next in the area.

Stayed over 1 night as was attending a Wedding! Breadsall Priory is absolutely stunning! The Staff can’t do enough for you. I’ve stayed a few times now & it’s a pleasure to stay here! The grounds a breathtaking 10/10

Advance warning about the amount of stairs used to reach some rooms. Potentially very difficult for anyone with disabilities.

Excellent staff. Warm and friendly Great facilities coupled with good restaurants.

was a few issues 1. No signs on the wall for room numbers. 2. no sky movies or sky sport had to pay for view I order a drink of coke was flat took to bar waited 15mins went back bar tender told me sorting the coke out still waited another 15mins no coke had to go bar again for the coke had no apology when I explain or even a free drink

the bed and pillows staff was very polite and helpful

Expected dressing gowns to use for the spa. No luggage rack and as thete were 3 of us sharing I would have expected 3 of everything. Only one of each toiletry.

The breakfast and the tempo bar

Everything! Just perfect from start to finish. Food was wonderful! Really helpful emails sent to me before hand warning us that the hotel and restaurant would be busy so they offered early check in.

no bathrobes :0( would like to have been able to get around the garden easier, paths a bit muddy

breakfast was lovely Sarah on reception was friendly and helpful grounds are stunning

To many stairs

The grounds and golf course were well manicured hotel was clean, staff were very efficient and extremely polite. Only small let down was the limited menu's in the main restaurant

• Priory King Room

I didn't like the feather pillows and should have asked for alternatives.

The location and outlook was amazing. The food choices at breakfast and in the main restaurant were good. The rooms were clean and spacious with a king size bed.

The building itself was beautiful and the staff were very friendly and helpful, the room was big and and the bed very comfortable, the swimming pool and sauna was lovely a nice place to relax

• Priory King Room

The organisation of our meal was not as good as it could have been. I spent a long time explaining well in advance what I wanted since we had a large group. despite this, things were not correct when we got there. However, the meal was excellent and we did get what we wanted eventually - it's a shame it couldn't just have been done as per my request from the outset.

Big enough hotel for our large party. Lovely room. Great location. Nice breakfasts. Good meal in the Cast Iron Restaurant

Nothing. All was fantastic.

The breakfast was amazing. So many healthy choices. The spa / pool facilities were great too. Absolutely amazing night.

distance of room too far from main hotel building with many different levels and stairs..sports bar very disapointing.... no atmsophere and no draught beer.. wifi vey expensive...

position of hotel in beautiful countryside..

Despite the policy regarding children under 16 not to be in Spa, Sauna and steam room. They were. The swimming pool staff should remind guests with small children of this rule.

Unfortunately the service was not so good the first evening of our stay we were a large party but a lot of organising had gone into this party arriving before hand. We had pre booked our meals and mr Davison had given you plenty of time for you to prepare for a large party. The staff were not so professional and didn’t seem to want to be there Wine drinks and food were purchased by our party spending a considerable amount of money.

Comfortable room breakfast very good and well organised helpful staff.

Was amazed from the moment we arrived. The staff were very welcoming. The pool was lovely. The views were perfect. After staying 2 nights we decided to book another night. We were unhappy with the room we were then given for the 3rd night. The staff were amazing moving us straight away to a better room and giving us complimentary drinks. Will definitely be returning in the near future

• Junior King Suite

There was nothing we didn't like

The grounds were amazing, the room was fantastic and room service was great. The food was so good and the room was definitely worth the money. We will becoming back to stay here very soon. We loved it!

WiFi was abit rubbish, sign up to Marriott emails etc you get it free. We did and it didn’t work.....wanted £9.99 for better WiFi 😡

Charlotte on Reception was really friendly and approachable, made me and my boys feel welcome 👍

The stairs to get to rooms were really awful especially if you have a very bad knee. It was full of golfers and all that goes with that.

Beds were very comfortable as was the room. The staff were very attentive, chatty and helpful. Breakfast was very good as was the evening meal. The grounds are beautiful.

• Deluxe Room with Two Double Beds

Treatments booked weeks prior to our visit, changed at the last minute to inconvenient times. The Spa let us down, not the hotel.

Great quiet scenic location, friendly, professional and helpful staff.

Poor staff and restaurant service, already contacted hotel, who looked forward to seeing me on my next visit...I don't think so...a poor Marriott hotel experience.

• Priory King Room

The menu choice is limited and the bar area is a little dull and dated...... could also do with some plants around the bar and reception area.

The Beds are fantastic and the staff are very helpful

• Superior King Room with View

3 times we said our room should be a twin and still they got it wrong. Restaurant meal was poor had to send the meal back as cold and steak not cooked to how it was requested. Odd glasses and odd cutlery

Spa staff lovely

Suites need upgrading, not worth £139 per night. Waited a long time for food in the eve and for drinks.

Amazing location, lovely staff,awesome relax aspects, very clean slightly let down on the suite as ordered deluxe king with oversize bed and got standard room with two small doubles. Waited over half an hour to have our food and drink order and then a further hour for food although it was lovely food.

The paths were a little on the muddy side for an amble in the grounds. I didn't have the right shoes!

A very good setting for a wedding reception, with ample room, lovely grounds and friendly and helpful staff..

not easily accessible for wheelchair or pushchair users , lot of stairs

I stayed for 1 night there for some "me" time. From check in until check out everything went super well. The room is very clean , i loved the bed sheets! Food was good , reasonable prices. Customer service was exceptional. The lady at the check in was very helpful by helping to check me in earlier , had lunch in Tempo bar / restaurant where again the service was brilliant. Joined the aqua aerobics session in their swimming pool which was great fun. Had a facial treatment and a massage at the SPA - now this was really the highlight on my stay ! Special thanks to Sarah from the Spa for her awesome service! Highly recommend everyone to come and stay and book a massage here Breakfast was excellent huge selection of everything you would wish for (fresh juices, pastries, diff types of bread, cheese, egg station etc ) The hotel grounds are huge and really nice, ideal for a walk or even for jogging. Thank you to Sara (receptionist at check out) for being so kind & friendly to us, you all made my stay amazing!

Hard to fault. Would like wine bottle shown even if buying by he glass.

What an atmospheric yet luxurious hotel. Staff lovely. The whole experience first class.

• Deluxe Room with Two Double Beds

I was annoyed the tv wasn't working the first night and no compensation. Also I asked for receipts on exit so I can claim expenses and I wasn't given any.

Loved the location and the staff were lovely.

• Priory King Room

Staff all very friendly and they went that extra mile as I informed them it was a special birthday for my boyfriend. Lovely food and a great choice for breakfast.

A safe walk within the beautiful grounds (300 acres) currently restricted to Golf enthusiasts. Lounge facilities restricted for hotel residents due to three magnificent rooms set aside solely for events - weddings, corporate etc.

The bed was Very comfortable

The only downside was that you do not sell a bitter in the bars.

I loved the pool and other leisure facilities that were available. The atmosphere was great and the staff were very friendly

• Deluxe Room with Two Double Beds

I travel a lot and the beds were by far the worst I have ever slept in. Very old and had a mattress topper on to try and add a little comfort, unfortunately they were very hard.

The setting of the hotel was lovely.

A little bit tatty around the spa area.

Room very comfortable and so quiet 🤫 Firm mattress and soft pillows spot on for me. Food was delicious 3 course with prosseco at £60 for 2. Not too sure about adding a service charge though, I wouldn’t have left a tip if I had remembered that. Pedicure before I left with Sarah ☺️

• Deluxe Room with Two Double Beds

I think the interior of the dining room was outdated and in need of upgrade. It did not feel inviting to sit down for dinner with family and friends. Prices for food and wine were inflated. Portions were small with insufficient vegetables.

Staff very friendly and helpful.

• Priory King Room

There was nothing I would change it was perfect!

Fabuolous hotel, the staff were exceptional and looked after us very well. Our meal in the restaurant and our breakfast were both extremely good. We will certainly return.

The distance between rooms and reception/breakfast area. But if you stay in a lovely big place like this it is expected.

The grounds are lovely, the breakfast was amazing. The only downside is the walk from reception to the rooms. However the spa and pool area are also great.

The bed was a little hard. There was no hot chocolate or peppermint tea in the room. Some of the food was expensive £7 for a chocolate sunday which consisted of one and a half scoops of ice cream 2 thumb nail pieces of chocolate brownie cream and a little chocolate sauce.

The size of the bed was great. Spa facilities lovely fantastic breakfast selection.Staff friendly and welcoming nothing too much trouble.Would stay again.

We didn’t book breakfast with the booking so had to pay a premium for it - we felt it was costly especially as they added 12% service charge on top making it £33 for two breakfasts

The full breakfast was of a very good quality. The staff were friendly and polite

Breakfast was very busy and disorganised. Nobody was there to show me to a table or what to do and I had to muddle through. I had to ask for a bowl then a plate then a drink so was a bit of a surprise for this level of hotel. Room was nice out in the news top floor but it was quite noisy as this made me level with the road and the cars driving to the golf club house til late then again early go past far too fast and it sounds like a mini earthquake each time they passed. Also the doorway and stairs were nearly impossible to get in and out of quietly so I was worried of mming noise to other guests getting my bag in and out due to the narrow doorway as t opened inwards. I know others certainly ddiint seem as aware of me and very loud Japanese men with golf clubs woke me early and kept me awake similarly. I realise it's listed and these things are awkward to remedy but Marriott are big boys and they should know these things when setting up a hotel......

Very handy location so close to the M1 and A38 whilst still being in a quiet and rural spot. Lots of facilities on site that I didn't have a chance to use but looked fabulous.

A great stay aside from the cast iron bar & grill restaurant. I found the food very average and there was a strange feeling in the restaurant, no real atmosphere and a rather strange vibe

• Junior King Suite

Room - old fashioned, very, very tired, in desprate need of refurbishment. Locating room - next to impossible - porter should ALWAYS escort you to the room in this place - its like a maze...!!!

Breakfast Location Gym Staff

Everything, the food in the restaurant was exeptional and reasonable.

The whole ambiance of the building, staff and facilities where absolutely lovely. Nothing was too much trouble. Thank you we loved our weekend.

We stayed here for our 4th wedding anniversary and wanted to book massages for my husband and i as a nice relaxing treat however, after trying to book this through their website and the booking.com link aswell as ringing the salon and then the main hotel reception with which a lady promised a call back the next morning with an appointment time (but didnt) it was clearly impossible and so we didn't get the nice relaxing treat we would have liked. Not sure if they just didn't want the business or couldn't be bothered to help either way I think this was not a very good way to begin our stay. If I hadn't have paid upfront I would have cancelled due to lack of customer service skills and being extremely annoyed about chasing them so much to book a simple service! I was really apprehensive about the stay after this issue and we ended up staying in our run down, dated room (with holes in the sheets) the whole time we were there apart from for breakfast!!

The room service was probably the best part of our stay! Staff we came across whilst there were friendly! Breakfast was lovely!

• Deluxe Room with Two Double Beds

Check-in / Check-out was not well organised in my opinion, taking too long in both cases. Check-in there was one terminal open, with what looked like one person entering the info with another observing. Two other staff members were not doing much and could have opened another terminal. On check-out the opposite was the case - one terminal open for check-out and one other person (presumably handling check-in) not busy and could have assisted. The bedrooms are a fair distance from the main hotel restaurants - OK for my wife and I as we are able bodied, but would be an issue for the mobility impaired.

The range of options available at breakfast was impressive. I'd think that most tastes were catered for.

Very long coridors, the room you need to be refurbished, near the bed, no lighting - you can not read the book, it is very dark as the lamp is in the opposite of the room, if you would like to switch the lights you have to go out of the bed to switch it, during the breakfast - the lemon and the cheese look not fresh.... Dinner was low average.

Countryside is beautiful.

There wasn’t anything we didn’t like!

We had a very pleasant stay, the staff were lovely, always smiling and helpful, can not fault this place!!! The service, the food, the cost, excellent! And a very clean and cosy room!!!

Automatic service charges on meals - I know they are discretionary but I just dont like them - it puts me off giving

Staff were very friendly and helpful

Had to move car from initial parking space near reception to another car park closer to our room. Room was up and down several flights of stairs and a long way from public rooms and reception. These were both a disadvantage as my daughter is disabled. She can manage stairs so I hadn't mentioned her disability but there were considerably more stairs than in most hotels. Worth mentioning mobility problems in advance as I feel sure that the very helpful staff would ensure a room closer to the public rooms in the hotel.

Usually chose smaller, boutique type hotels. This was chosen for a large family get-together and was chosen for its equidistance from all the travellers. Staff friendly, helpful and efficient. Many of our party enjoyed the swimming pool. Lunched at the spa cafe. Staff lovely. Food was fine. Delicious lamb in the evening. We chose the 3 course £25 menu which was good value. Room was large with 2 double beds. Ideal since I was sharing with my daughter.

• Junior King Suite

The lunch cafe, temper (?), had lovely staff but was the worst food I have been served anywhere for as long as I can remember. The hotel decour is very dated. It was a bit expensive for what it was- don't think I'd say it's a 4 star place.

The staff was extremely friendly and everything was very clean. The room was large- we did book a have a suit. The grounds are beautiful. The pool looked nice but didn't use it. The cast iron grill food was very good dinner.

• Deluxe Room with Two Double Beds

The hotel is tired, it needs a lot of refitting/updating. The bathrooms definitely need up-dating. The furniture in our room was damaged, scratched and dirty. The hotel had a lot of children in residence and therefore we did not use the swimming pool or spa as it was packed with families. This was very disappointing. We wouldn’t come here again as it doesn’t meet our needs or standards.

The grounds are beautiful and we enjoyed a walk even in the cold, the staff were absolutely lovely, couldn’t fault them.

• Priory King Room

I made a note on my booking that we were staying at the hotel for my girlfriends birthday, I had hoped they may have put some flowers out or maybe a drink but unfortunately nobody mentioned it.

Nice breakfast and very big bed.

a cleaner took pesonal property out of my room without my consent,clqiming to her leaders that she thought i had left.clear lie. my bag and a flask was still in the room as i had gone towalk the grounds.? this place was better 2 years ago,had lovely stay. i was not at all pleased.what next from the east?

over cooked hash browns and same with fish and chips in eve.

The building was in a poor state in parts (leaking ceilings) and the menus etc were tatty & needed replacing. The bed was uncomfortable and the room temperature was too warm. A tad overpriced for the quality of the hotel.

The breakfast was nice with plenty of choice and the room was spacious.

The prices in the bar were outrageously expensive £12.50 for a large glass of wine (more than some bars in London) and the changing rooms for the swimming pool were very tired with lots of locker doors broken.

Staff were excellent, very friendly and the breakfast was excellent (did not have an evening meal in the hotel)

Our only disappointment was the restaurant, we thought the menu was limited, over pretentious and relatively expensive.

We had a lovely romantic short break at Breadsall Priory.

The switch on the kettle in the room had a life of its own and kept randomly re boiling when no one was near to touch it! Thought it was a ghost at first!! Ok as there was enough water in it but dangerous if there hadnt been enough water in it. Ended up turning it off at the wall when not using it. The TV also had a life of its own and kept randomly switching itself off after a few minutes, or the picture went but the sound remained, mainly seemed to happen on ITV, which annoyingly was the channel we were most trying to watch!

Stayed here couple nights for my partners birthday. Nice location, easy parking. Had read some of the older part of the hotel was haunted, so was glad to find we were in the newer part to the rear! Lovely comfy queen size bed. Had dinner in the restaurant one night, nice though meals a bit pricey. Loved the swimming pool.

The Restaurant: We were unimpressed with the onsite restaurant (Cast Iron Bar & Grill). They only had 2 veggie dishes on the menu - one was sold out and the other was cheese which i'm allergic too. If that was the only issue then fair enough, but we also ordered cocktails to be told 5 minutes later they had run out of all cocktail ingredients! We also found it pretty overpriced for the meals we had. The room: Lovely room, very clean and comfortable. My only compliant would be it was pretty cold and i ended up sleeping with my jacket over me.

Beautiful old building with gorgeous views! Breakfast was really good too - great selection of things for all (even fussy eaters like myself!). Staff were all very friendly and informative. Loved the spa too!

No complaints at all.

There were 15 of our family at the hotel for a double birthday celebration. We all agreed that the hotel was excellent in every way - rooms, breakfasts, pool, bars, ambience. It suited our needs perfectly (my wife and I had sussed it out earlier). My requests for different needs for rooms were scrupulously accommodated. We were specially impressed with the welcome gift for our two birthday family members. The staff were all exceptionally welcoming and friendly. Brilliant! We will certainly be coming again - maybe bring my golf clubs next time.

My only issue was that my bacon and mushrooms at breakfast were both cold. Lots of choice and attentive service otherwise

Peaceful, courteous staff. Lovely bedroom and facilities. Enjoyed the swimming pool. Great for a birthday treat.

• Priory King Room

No place for smoking pepole, I orded the room for smokers but I was given the different one with no smoking at all, it was a horrible weather heavy raining non stop and there was no place where I could have a cigarette, also a lot of rust on the taps in the bathroom and cleaning was not in the good standard

Lovely very nice staff, castle atmosthere

I was placed in a courtyard building that wasn't easy to access especially with a suitcase.

The gym and pool were of a high standard as was the food.