Reviews of Moss Lodge 4 stars

#2 of 7 hotels in Rochdale

9.7

9.8

Nothing really :)

Nice and cosy hotel! The wonderful staff made me feel very welcome. Tired after riding my motorbike all day I was looking forward to relax and have a good dinner. Alas the restaurant was booked for a private party. When the hostess saw the look at my face, she said: "If you can just wait 40 minutes, we'll fix something". One shower and a beer later, the cook came and asked me what I wanted to eat, fish, chicken, steak or...? Never saw a menu, had a great 3 course meal and nice glass of wine. Breakfast next day was nice as well. Will come back :)

We received a warm welcome from Pauline and nothing was too much trouble. We were upgraded to a Four Poster room which we found amazing and comfortable. Our overall stay was wonderful.

No faults

Very friendly atmosphere and staff, nothing was too much trouble. The room was lovely and very comfy bed, home from home, good food , great for a lone female on business

• Classic Double Room

Local but private, perfect! Gorgeous building nicely decorated inside everything was of a high standard and "Aunty P" was the best hostess! Glad I discovered this beautiful place 10/10

• Classic Double Room

Noisy room fridge but it could be turned off & personally, I would have been happier with a kettle rather than Sunbeam drink maker. Tv/digibox went on blink but as late, didn't matter & reported when booking out. Evening meal promised more than it delivered - feta salad needed a better, tasty dressing (not sure it had one!) chicken in cream & mushroom sauce had no taste except cream. All veg cooked except green beans which were still raw. Disappointing. Breakfast choice of 4 cereal, with orange juice, yoghurt, tea/coffee toast with 4 choices conserve. Don't think it was butter (shame). Cooked breakfast cost extra if booking.com but could request night before. Adequate but nothing special & have had better.

Room furnishings to high standard, good ensuite, all clean, tidy & inviting. Close to amenities McD, KFC, Morrisons and only 10min drive to get to glorious moors, hills & countryside. Although not need on this occasion, within walking distant bus stops for Rochdale & Metro for Manchester. Information file & local magazine in room full of good tips/visits in area for longer stays.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Location info for driving was not clear enough. Google maps and hotel manager disagree on street names - not helpful after a v long drive! Using booking.com meant I did not qualify for free cooked breakfast!!! Please leave wifi login info in the bedroom (sorry if I missed it) Overall expensive room rate.

Lovely welcome by the manager - very helpful, charming and thoughtful. Wake up call was remembered. comfortable Bed. warm room. Good lighting to work by. Quiet location. I have now stayed in four hotels in Rochdale, this is the only one I would return to. I was the only guest I think _ I'm told Sunday night is the least popular day.

• Classic Double Room

After only one night we had nothing to complain about.

Very friendly welcome and it was a quiet weekend when we stayed, so no 'busy' problems. Very clean rooms and traditional feel in keeping with the building's history.

• Classic Double Room

Evening meal was excellent, couldn’t fault quality or service, great menu choices. We hadn’t booked cooked breakfast but the free continental breakfast was surprisingly more than adequate. Rooms were spacious, individually decorated, beds comfortable and all spotlessly clean.

• Premier Double Room

Level of security on the site is very high which in an odd way makes you feel less safe !

Really warm welcome from the team - nothing was too much trouble

• Classic Double Room

Strategically the location adjacent to the M.62 is great. The local road approaching the property in Rochdale, the appearance of the hotel frontage, signage and entrance could better reflect the quality of what you find inside! Entrance could do with being lighter and brighter.

The quality of accommodation, staff, welcome and service were great. Helpful without being obtrusive or interfering.

We liked everything.

The staff was very welcoming and made us feel valued. The hotel was lovely and the room was very comfortable. We stayed only one night and had dinner at the hotel, the meal was superb.

• Premier Double Room

The coffee/tea machine was terrible. I managed to spill tea all over shelf, apparently this is a regular occurrence. The tea was tepid when it worked. The staff were very kind & filled a flask of hot water but it was a nuisance having to go downstairs every time we wanted a drink. Please invest in in some kettles! The garden needed a good tidy up & the decor though tidy, was appalling in choice.

Staff very friendly. Food good. Room comfortable. Nice to have fresh milk in room. Cheaper if you book direct by phone.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

We stayed for two nights and our stay was faultless. Moss Lodge is immaculate, the beds comfy, room and bathroom spotless and the staff are lovely. I needed to iron some shirts and when I asked if I could borrow an iron Pauline said she would do them for me. As with everything else they were perfect. Pauline was such a warm and welcoming host without being intrusive. We have family living near by in Littleborough and intend on returning to Moss Lodge for all future visits.

• Premier Double Room

No chef wasn't able to eat even though it's advertised food served 6 Til 9pm was told we should inform them before we went that we wished to eat never heard that before yet doesn't state that when booking

Clean and comfortable

• Classic Double Room

The room had a filter coffee machine but no kettle, so I couldn't make my early morning tea.

The building, a Victorian mill owner's house converted from a private dwelling to a hotel twelve years ago, was lovely. Lots of little nooks and crannies, very comfortable lounges, and beautifully decorated (the plasterwork cornices and ceiling roses were, I think, original Victorian). The staff were brilliant, so polite, friendly and so helpful. Very comfortable well appointed rooms. If you have to go to Rochdale, the Moss Lodge is the place to stay.

• Premier Double Room

Slightly more expensive than I'd have expected for the room.

Very accommodating staff, and a very comfortable room equipped with a fridge and a filter coffee machine.

No wifi in the room

How clean and looked after the place was. The staff were also lovely and accommodating. Will definitely stay again when visiting Manchester.

• Reviewed: 20 May 2017

• Classic Double Room

I have no complaints and didn't want to leave.

This was my first stay at the hotel. The staff were really friendly and welcoming. The food, evening meal and breakfast the following morning, was excellent. The bed was superbly comfortable. One of the best hotel stays I've had in a long time. 5*

• Reviewed: 10 May 2017

• Classic Double Room

The bed was extremely comfy, especially grateful for it after a 8 hour train journey. The facilities were incredible. The room I was given was an incredibly homely room. Felt I was underpaying for the quality of what I was being provided in this room!

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Appauling staff, wrong room only one bath robe meant to be bridal suite. 2 single beds pushed together..and was made to feel a fraudster when paying our bill, totally dissatisfied. No breakfast offered. Rang at 10am to leave when checkout was meant to be at 11am :( so nothing we actually liked. Was left a note to be quiet on return from our wedding.

Appauling staff...wrong room..only one bath robe and was meant to be bridal suite. 2 single beds pushed together..and was made to feel a fraudster when paying our bill, totally dissatisfied. No breakfast offered. Rang at 10am to leave when checkout was meant to be at 11am :( so nothing we actually liked. Was left a note to be quiet on return from our wedding.

• Reviewed: 3 March 2017

Not a lot really

A warm welcome from the staff. Dinner was delicious, freshly cooked and good quality. Room and the hotel was clean - always a good sign and for the size and age of the building of the property was well appointed and new. Breakfast was cooked to order and also delicious!

• Reviewed: 26 January 2017

• Classic Double Room

The restaurant wasn't open Friday and Sunday evenings but there are eating places within walking distance.

Old fashioned, beautifully decorated and very comfortable hotel. Easy access to Manchester by train.

• Reviewed: 20 December 2016

• Classic Double Room

Room was very small - not really a problem but more space would have added to comfort.

Lovely friendly small hotel tucked away in a suburban area. Very helpful staff. Nice breakfast Pleasant lounges with drinks served to residents until late. Good parking.

• Reviewed: 12 December 2016

Nothing, everything was excellent

Nothing was too much for the duration of our stay starting with a welcome drink. Enjoyed a very tasty Table-d'hote meal from the restaurant. I would strongly recommend this hotel.

• Reviewed: 7 December 2016

• Classic Double Room

Fridge in room 5 was noisy at night. Not keen on radio station playing in dining room in the evening. I was a solo diner and like to read while waiting and I found it intrusive. It's ok at breakfast time but some gentle music of an evening rather than frantic pop and adverts would have made for better ambience. I'd have turned it off but there were other guests and I didn't like to impose.

Great customer service and fantastic food. 3 course dinner with tea afterwards cost just £25. it was superb! My compliments to the Chef. Good quality linen and toiletries. Room and bathroom spotlessly clean. WIFI worked a treat so I was able to do some work.

• Reviewed: 22 October 2016

• Classic Double Room

The fact I couldn't stay another night .

Beautiful room: high quality linen and everything top notch. Great supper exquisitely served in my room as I was so tired. All the staff were the crowning glory. Nothing was too much trouble. Superb service attitude . I was made so welcome and will definitely return again !!

• Reviewed: 4 October 2016

• Classic Double Room

There was a function on the evening we were there and so we had to go out to eat. This was a bit disappointing but wasn't a major problem as there are restaurants nearby. Just may be worth checking out in advance. It didn't interfere with our positive experience.

We felt that we were really well looked after.

• Reviewed: 27 September 2016

Cannot find fault.

Lovely comfy bed, great breakfast and staff. We got back late and one member of staff made us a bacon butty at almost midnight because we were hungry. Fantastic !! Great breakfast range and full english was piping hot. Would have no doubt in recommending this place to anyone.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

• Classic Double Room

I would have liked a lift as I am awaiting a knee replacement , but I managed slowly!

The bed was very comfy, the bathroom was excellent, the bathroom little complimentary items were excellent . The breakfast was delicious. The staff were delightful and friendly. All round a comfortable stay.

• Reviewed: 22 September 2016

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

I got bird poo all over my car! But staff was nice enough to help ckean it off. Apart from that everything was good

Hotel is lovely staff were lovely too! Nice quiet area. Hotel was clean and very cosy with a massive bed x

• Classic Double Room

Staff were very friendly, helpful and couldn't do enough for me even though I didn't arrive until after 10pm. The room was spotless and bed very comfy. Really enjoyed my full English breakfast too.

• Classic Double Room

Greeted warmly on arrival. Top quality linen, towels, toiletries, bath robe and brewing facilities. Away very early next day and they provided fantastic in room breakfast and packed lunch which was excellent value. Good security and excellent free WIFI. Nice bathroom. No air con but fan provided. They really looked after me

• Reviewed: 30 August 2016

• Classic Double Room

It is a lovely place to stay, Pauline was the only member of staff that we saw and I couldn't fault her at all, she really was lovely. I paid £90 for the night and although it was lovely, it did seem a bit expensive. I would definitely stay again but only if it was cheaper.

Pauline was so lovely, she even made special arrangements for me to arrive after the doors close as I was at a wedding locally. The room was lovely and clean, the bed was super comfy and it generally had a nice village feel to it.

• Reviewed: 22 August 2016

• Classic Double Room

Nothing. If I had to say something it was that Mother is 81 so stairs were a bit steep for her.

Here for my nieces wedding at Saddleworth hotel but nearly £200 a night was out of our budget. Found Moss Lodge on booking . com and liked the look of the beautiful old building so booked for 5 adults. Lovely welcoming staff even though we didn't arrive until after 10pm. Extremely helpfull, booking us a taxi for the following morning and offering suggestions of things to do in our free time.

• Reviewed: 18 August 2016

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The grounds require maintenance and entrance to hotel needs improvement in appearance.

Excellent service from staff. Very clean and comfortable bedroom. Breakfast was superb.

• Reviewed: 9 August 2016

• Classic Double Room

Could not get the coffee machine to work, I'm not tech minded. I told Pauline ( staff member) the next day and she said I should have called her. So my responsibility 😕

Staff were fabulously helpful and friendly.

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

• Classic Double Room

I thought I'd already done a review. The stay was lovely, clean and tidy. the staff were friendly and helpful and I learned a new trick of how to operate the coffee/tea maker. Shame you couldn't get into phone box for a picture. Substantial car parking lovely grounds

• Reviewed: 1 August 2016

• Classic Double Room

Staff were very friendly and helpful, Breakfast was very good to. Rooms are comfortable with lots of nice touches such as coffee, a fridge and free bottled water. Good wifi connection. Very comfy beds.

• Reviewed: 19 July 2016

The staff were fabulous, very helpful, the room was lovely and the breakfast gorgeous. We had a lovely welcome, the room was very comfortable and clean and the staff couldn't have been more helpful and welcoming.

• Reviewed: 7 July 2016

• Classic Double Room

The room was lovely, the place was spotlessly clean, and the grounds were beautiful. My daughter had an accident with some makeup on the bedding, and our hostess was incredibly gracious and kind about it. Wish we could have stayed longer and spent more time at the property, but it was somewhat of a whirlwind stay. If we return to Rochdale, we will stay here again.

• Reviewed: 29 June 2016

• Premier Double Room

Nothing that we can think of

Pauline provided excellent customer service and made us feel very welcome indeed. The evening menue had something for all tastes. The meal was very well presented, wonderfully cooked and full of flavour. There is a good wine list and the wines are well priced. There are tasting notes enabling you to choose something to compliment your meal. We were travelling with a classic car and able to park it at the front of the hotel for additional security. We will certainly stay at the hotel next time we are in the area.

• Reviewed: 29 June 2016

• Classic Double Room

Full of character, lovely facilities and warm comfy bed. Pauline and Beryl were both delightful hosts and as a female travelling alone, made me feel so welcome. Very nice poached eggs for breakfast too and unlimited tea... such kind hospitality and would definitely go back

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

more choice for basic breakfast (if not cooked)

lovely bed and jacuzzi bath

• Classic Double Room

Very friendly, clean, comfortable, would definitely stay again

• Classic Double Room

Staff were accommodating as it was my elderly father who stayed.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Nothing. No hidden surprises.

The hostess was very friendly. She made our stay very enjoyable.

• Classic Double Room

Breakfast was cereal and toast you had to pay extra for a cooked breakfast.

Friendly staff. Very clean and comfortable.

• Premier Double Room

Catered for my food needs.

Lovely room friendly staff

• Classic Double Room

Lovely spot for an overnight stay. Comfortable and quiet room, well-furnished. Good breakfast. Friendly and helpful staff.

• Premier Double Room

Expensive and tired total experience very poor. Staff good.

Decor a little outdated

Host was good

Very friendly staff

Great staff Great rooms Great breakfast

• Classic Double Room

Staff so friendly and accommodating. Anything you asked was dealt with in a very good timely manner.

Very friendly helpful hosts

• Classic Double Room

Kettle in the room not just the coffee machine.

Staff were fantastic

• Classic Double Room

Pauline a member of staff was fantastic

• Classic Double Room

Actually finding the entrance to the hotel - but now I know

The whole ambiance of the hotel - excellent

• Premier Double Room

The staff were so friendly and helpful, they made us feel incredibly welcome and looked after us brilliantly.

Very clean and comfortable

No issues

Warm and friendly, great breakfast and lovely room. We will definitely use again

• Classic Double Room

Very comfortable room, and cosy lounges. Extremely good service. Great food. I would highly recommend this hotel.

All of it

• Classic Double Room

I can't think of anything

Fantastic. Lovely staff

• Classic Double Room

the service and welcome at Moss Lodge is second to none, always a pleasure to stay here - wish more hotels could be like Moss Lodge!!

• Classic Double Room

The car park was well secured, the welcome charming and the room - though smallish - really well equipped and appointed.

No free breakfast.

Friendly host/owner and very helpful and welcoming.

• Classic Double Room

Nothing, our stay was perfect

We didn't eat at the restaurant but the hotel was lovely, comfortable, well presented and the stay are so friendly!

• Premier Double Room

Staff were very friendly and couldn't do enough for us. Breakfast was delicious!

excellent breakfast

• Classic Double Room

The continental breakfast could have had more on offer, e.g. croissants / fruit.

Lovely room with great coffee making facilities.

Nothing I can think of.

Very friendly staff and comfortable room, with excellent facilities. Delicious breakfast.

• Classic Double Room

Cleanliness, good bed and ensuite. Attentiveness to ones needs.

• Reviewed: 6 May 2017

Everything was great

Room was spotless staff were great , breakfast lovely highly recommended

• Classic Double Room

Very welcoming. Able to store our bicycles indoors. Room clean and modern. Breakfast was extra but worth it.