Reviews of My Bloomsbury 4 stars

11-13 Bayley Street, Bedford Square, Camden, London, WC1B 3HD, United Kingdom

#472 of 977 hotels in London

Choice of taxi company that took me to airport at holiday end, didn’t help with suitcase (I’m 62), unfriendly and long process at the end with Credit Card, need to think about not using these cars.

Very clean, good location, staff were extremely helpful.

The pictures on the website are not a true reflection of the hotel our room was small not big enough for 2 adults. The bathroom was small and dangerous, the shower screen is fixed and at the tap end of the bath which is a metre or so in width meaning you really have to get into switch it on. No holding rails so when going in or out very dangerous and lack of space. Little room to get in the shower. Room back on to Tottenham Court Road and noisy. Advertise as contemporary it’s not the room was white with no pictures it felt like prison cell and we couldn’t wait to get out. As a couple one had to stay in the toilet until the other got ready. Woken up by light at 5.30 am due to poorly fitted blinds and no curtains to darken the room. Furniture dated and worn looking. First time in a hotel with only one bedside table. All in all a bad experience, the website is for sure misleading in its presentation of the pictures.

Location was good

The room was in a poor state of repair. Chipped and damaged paint work throughout. Electrical sockets and switches poorly fitted and fixed poorly. Broken tiles in the bathroom

Carpet in room was filthy. I was on 3rd floor but windows had zero noise insulation so I couldn’t sleep with all the noise. Air conditioning didn’t work and room was boiling hot. Woken at 05:30 by noise of neighbours TV (walls clearly paper thin). To top it, window sill was littered with cigarette butts so clearly people had been smoking in the room for a while and no attempt to clean up by staff. Worst London hotel experience to date.

On check in i was told that my superior double room that i'd booked wasn't available, so instead of being upgraded for the same money i was downgraded to a single room. Then i was charged full price for the single room. i checked the website and there was a 20% off deal, so raised this, and had to haggle to get the refund for the difference. As i wanted a bath in the room, i got the impression that i was given the room that no-one used as the carpet was wearing out in places, the bathroom was dated and needed the sealant round the bath cleaning as there was mildew. the decor was plain, bit like that which you see on the website. the radiator had a 'do not use' label on it. its a shame as i was really looking forward to my stay here, and was hoping to book the terrace room in the summer. Now i don't think i'll bother.

The bed was comfortable. it was handy to have a Gail's Bakery right next to the property. Great location.

This is sensitive as on check out the lady on reception said there was nothing to pay as we had paid for the room in advance. However, on returning home a charge of £2.50 had been made for supposedly some M & M's which we never had. The day after a very large erroneous transaction for nearly £1500 was also debited to my credit card. My card details were requested on check in but I did not use the card during our stay or elsewhere during the weekend.

Everything fine with hotel and in a great location.

Honestly can’t mention anything negative about My Bloomsbury Hotel

I literally liked everything about the hotel: location, very clean, friendly staff and excellent value for money’s

Not ideal for younger couples or families as atmosphere is not very warm or welcoming - very much a hotel that caters more towards business people. Some staff looked fed up as if they didn't want to be there. Paid £258 (which I asked to be split between two cards and wasn't) to for a double room for one night and was very disappointed. The room was very basic (didn't even have an iron!) and boring. Considering how much I paid, I would have expected better customer service and more complimentary items - everything was charged for! Overall, wouldn't stay again even though the location was ideal.

Amazing location in walking distance to Piccadilly and surrounding areas with plenty of choice of bars and restaurants. Beds were comfortable and rooms were clean.

• Superior Twin Room

It's ok, a little expensive for what I got, the room didn't look like the pictures on the website which was a shame as that was the only reason why I booked this particular hotel. I could have saved £50 and gone elsewhere. The room was a bit tired looking, but ok for one night.

• King Suite with Balcony

We stayed in one of the rooms with a private terrace. The terrace was a let down, not particularly clean or welcoming. The facilities in the room were lacking. Nice kitchenette but only two side plates so we couldn’t really use it. The complimentary treats promised were just your bog standard tea and coffee making facilities. There was also meant to be a Mac in the room which wasn’t there. We booked this room for our mini moon and really expected a lot more from it after looking at the beautiful photos on the website. Also the room was extremely warm, we had the air conditioning on full blast and it didn’t help at all. We were told it was functioning properly but it was nothing more than a puff of air coming from the vents. The check in process was ridiculously slow and the staff didn’t really seem to know what they were doing. I’d expect a lot more in the way of customer service when paying over £325 a night. I wish we’d gone back to The Bloomsbury Hotel instead. Better service and much better value for money. We won’t be staying here again.

The room was lovely, not quite as it as expected but really comfortable and the bed was amazing. It’s a great location for getting around central London.

• Junior Suite with Balcony

Beautiful hotel! Our terrace room was lovely, great views and felt very spoilt. The staff were excellent and very friendly definitely will be staying here again :-)

Service- we were let down by the fact that we paid for breakfast but it wasn’t recognised on the system. We were eventually told it was all paid for but the next morning we had problems when ordering because there was no record of it. Service from the waiter kind of rude. Disappointing.

Breakfast was great and the location was fabulous. The last minute rate was good value. The hotel offered modern, spotless accommodation in the heart of town. Bags were stored safely for us when we checked out.

Lovely boutique style hotel in central London , great location . Comfortable rooms , tea/coffee and minibar fridge, good aircon . Good breakfast at Gail’s kitchen , great cafe

Great location and lovely cafe! I've stayed here twice and I highly recommend an upgrade to superior double as the basic double is very basic and small.

Unfortunately the staff doesn’t match the property. Never before have I heard the term, “This is against our policy” so often. Instead of customer care some policies reign. A pity.

A very nice hotel in the center of London with walking distance to any tourist attractions. The hotel has unusual large rooms for London. The restaurant and the bakery on the ground floor are of outstanding quality.

Decent location for the West End as we were down to watch a show. Pub on the corner was alright too, the extra bonus was the bakery on the ground floor, excellent.

I got a very small, un-updated room although I had reserved the higher category at a higher price than usual. Disappointed because this is my go to hotel in London, but the standards were much lower this time around.

Check in took a while and we had some issues with their system that nearly resulted in a double charge. It was sorted in the end.

Location good (but some noise from street - buts it a busy area so not unexpected), room was compact but clean, tidy and well appointed

Room was very small and dimly lit. Not much of a view (not that we were expecting a fabulous one). Wallpaper coming away from the walls. Toilet didn’t flush & I had to unblock it myself resulting in me being covered in faeces. Only way I can describe the room was ‘dungeon like’. Really not impressed and unfortunately won’t be returning in the future.

The pictures are amazing and make the rooms look really spacious, beautifully colour blocked and nicely furnished, but unfortunately the room I got was not in line with the ones that are pictured on the website, tiny and a bit basic. Maybe a bit unlucky with room assignment

Great cafes downstairs, with perfect bakery, not free or charge though. Location is also great, extremely central.

• Superior Twin Room

Only complaint would be; the beds where to soft. This is a matter of personal preference and therefore can‘t always be met.

The room (twin beds) had a good size and everything you need. Also very important to me, I could open the windows at night. The staff was very friendly and in the morning you can get yourself a faboulous coffee with some great pastry right from the cafe in the hotel. That was tops!!!

• Superior Twin Room

Being a small hotel it doesn’t have health club facilities, but that didn’t matter to us.

Fantastic location for theatreland and felt very central - short walk to Tottenham Court Road Station. Right next to busy area but felt quiet as it’s just off Bedford Square. Breakfast was amazing! Gorgeous bakery next door too. We were there in warm weather so got to eat breakfast outdoors. Staff very helpful and keen to make your stay as comfortable as possible. Would definitely like to stay again.

The rooms were very small and the decor a little tired. The sheet and mattress protector on my bed barely covered the mattress and both came off when I went to turn down the duvet. The plughole in the room did not all work and the bathroom was quite tiny to manoeuvre around

Breakfast was great, plenty of choice and healthy options as well as beautiful baked goods.

Would have preferred a buffet breakfast rather than off the menu, certainly for juices, cereals and coffee etc.

Location is great and hotel has a modern feel, rooms quite basic but clean and with all relevant amenities.

The fact the room was so small and there was damaged scruffy furniture but they even charged for water in the room. Also we booked a taxi to the railway and they didn't warn us it would be more than double the cost of a black cab. Not impressed at all.

the room is small, but it's not so bad

LOCATION!!!! modern hotel very clean quiet, close to oxford street and bus + metro station!!! absolutely will come back!

The room was very small and noisy (quite of permanent air conditioning motor on). The personnel was inexperienced and no invoice was delivered at the moment of the check-out!

• Deluxe Double Room

the price was high compared to what we got when we cam to the reception and complained about dirty bath, the manager changed the room and when we showed additional problems in the other room he gave us 15% refund. at this new cost and with this location- the room is good enough.

Facility was good but not great. Location is perfect - walking from SOHO

The window (in room 304) had to be jammed open with an improvised wedge, in order to effect ventilation. A heavy sash cord-controlled frame, it would otherwise had to be left permanently closed.

We booked room only. Unfortunately, the coffee in our room was not replenished for the second day.

I was never checked in and checked out from the hotel for SO LONG. It took them 20 minutes to check in three of us. One of my fellow colleagues, when entered her room found a naked man inside. She went back for changing the room and got a other one. There were someone's stuff inside again. From third try they gave her a room with no guests inside. No kidding. When I was checking out, the receptionist was just in the middle of conversation with me when spotted some people claiming their luggage, he just stand up and went away dealing with their luggage and made me waiting for him for another 5 minutes. Just in the middle of my check out procedure. When I tried to buy something in a bar on the ground floor, after serving me when I claimed for the check, they said the accept no cards and cannot put this check on my room. Just in the middle of the night I woke up hearing screams and slaps!!! They were so loud like I had those guys just in my room. You gonna hear like guys next door flush toilet, talk and doing something more. Awful! I discourage everyone from staying in this hotel.

Just nothing

The room was more basic than those displayed on line were. I booked the room as I haven’t had a 8 hour sleep for ages and the neighbours have work ok which starts early each morning. Unfortunately the sole purpose of me being there (a good quality sleep) was mitigated by the fire alarm going off in the middle of the night. I got up, got dressed then it went off. I was paranoid being on the top floor so wandered down stairs. There was no one about. I went back to bed but others were clearly paranoid as bedroom doors kept opening and banging for another 20mins. I couldn’t sleep properly after that. The room was fine but basic.

It was a very small room and very limited breakfast for the price. Very basic. No newspapers to read at breakfast. Shower was cold in the evening. Bathroom was tiny! and was a bit dodgy. Cracked basin, stained grout. No facewasher. Very noisy aircon unit that I couldnt figure out how to turn off.

Good location for what I needed.

The bed was bit smaller than a normal double-size bed. Also, I wish there was more storage space in the bathroom.

The location is great - close to major shopping and sightseeing areas, especially Oxford street. It is also a 5 minute walk from the tube station.

• Superior Twin Room

Room was quite hot at night so we slept with the window open. This meant we could hear the noisy street but a pair of earplugs sorted that out. The small double is quite small so if you're on the larger size I wouldn't recommend it. Mini bar is expensive (to be expected I guess) £3 for a pack of M&Ms. Pop down to the Sainsburys if you fancy some treats.

The room had a lovely high ceiling and large window. Felt very bright and open even though the space was smallish. The location was great with a Sainsburys not far down the road for snacks. Bathroom was clean and the toiletries were nice. Bed was comfortable. Loved the little desk area and the style of furniture.

The room was very different to what is pictured. They are very basic and the furniture in them makes the room look very cheap, for example the bedside cabinet was damaged and scratched and the bath was covered in chips. There was also no safe in the room.

The bed was comfortable and the room was cleaned daily

The room was too stuffy - even when I put the air con on full fan at 17 degrees it didn’t help as fan very weak. Had to open a window but the noise is really bad so then I couldn’t sleep

Great Location and comfy bed. Very secure. Good shower. Neat room with everything you need.quality tea coffee and shower products.

• Small Double Room

The first room we were shown was far too small and we upgraded to a much larger room, in quiet location at back of hotel. There were some design details which let down what would otherwise have been a good room. The glass door to the bathroom let in too much light at night, the bathroom door could not be closed quietly, I could not stand up under the shower and wash my hair (shower fitting low down under a window), and an electric towel rail which got far too hot for safety. We discussed all this with the staff and hopefully some action will be taken.

A very nice hotel, lovely staff, and a great location. Good breakfast, a very comfortable bed.

Only one coffee plus one decaf - only two small sachets of milk could have provided more. Coffee was lovely - drank both - but other person in room left without .

Nice clean modern rooms. Comfy bed.

Always there is something funny with water in bath or shower. This time the water cut of in mid shampoo. It came back on but a bit disconcerting.

I always stay at My Bloomsbury when in London. The location is great. Breakfast lovely, staff helpful.

Had no hot water one morning which we weren't told about, when we called no time was given for a repair. Plumber walked in to the room some hours later and said it should be ok now. Bedding had marks on it, which looked like washed out blood which had stained the bedding. Also bedding wasn't changed on first night even though it had marks on it from when we arrived.

I've stayed many times and have always been happy with the hotel. It's a good location, you can park nearby, its modern, staff are usually friendly and within a safe area. It's not HIGH END LUXURY but neither is the price. Good value for its location and quality.

The room was very monochrome with not much to make it feel like a home away from home.

Amazingly central location and it's great having a coffee and pastry café downstairs and a pub next door.

• Superior Twin Room

Bathroom showing signs of age, especially at window area where gaps in the sealant allow cold air through. Makes for a freezing shower in cold weather!

Great location. Common areas are well designed and maintained. Staff were helpful. Nice toiletries. Good size rooms. Comfortable bed and amenities. Good value considering location and design.

Really struggled with the temperature control in the room, window was stuck in the closed position in the end I used a coat hanger to prise it open.

centrally located to everything we needed, room was a good size for the price in London.

Only 1 decafe coffee bag and 1 non decafe coffee bag , so me and my partner Had to mix them together and it wasn’t very strong. Bathroom was on the small side but had everything. And main room was very warm and air con was weak, the sash windows kept dropping down.

Nice simple stylish hotel, very short distance from tube and theatre’s and nice location with lots of eatery’s to choose from. The bar down stairs was modern and Friendly and patisserie looked tasty but didn’t get to try .

having a room street facing is terrible, the hotel rooms are situated above a pub (Jack Horner), bottle collections happen through the middle of the night so was woken up on a number of occasions due to noise outside.

Very nice rooms and very comfortable beds

The location is good. It is a short walk to the British Museum and Library and a number of other popular sites. It is close to the tubes. There is a bakery right next to it and there are several inexpensive food places within a block including a Sainsbury grocery store to pick up various food items. So this is good to satisfactory place to stay. The room was fine, the lighting was good and there was a desk to work at. At night it was quieter that I expected it to be. The staff was ok but nothing out of the ordinary. The price point was a bit high compared to some of the other places I looked.

Surprised that the bar shut at 2200....

The room was extremely comfortable, although there was a step at the bottom of the bed that caught me on the hop, literally, more than once.

The room was really small.A pretty bad smell came out the bathroom - maight be a problem with the ventilation.

Perfect location. Nice room, very clean.

The service was shambolic in the breakfast room on the first day. The staff seemed reluctant to serve guests and despite being first in the room, I somehow ended up being served last after other people came in. Problems with haphazard service - left me waiting to be served for quite a while, coffee served but milk forgotten etc. On the second day, breakfast service had improved a bit. Room and hotel were spartan and functional. I found the bed too soft. Pillows - 1 pillow meant head too low, 2 pillows meant head too high. Room was too warm and temperature was not able to be controlled. Too noisy to open window.

The receptionist was helpful and friendly. Location of the hotel was perfect for my needs. Fine for a short stay.

• Deluxe Double Room

Our room needed some refreshing although a good size very small selection of warm drinks supplied and difficult to plug in kettle as cable to short

Reception welcoming Good location Goid sized room

Room was a little sparse and cramped. Toilet required tender loving care to flush but fine when you got the knack 🤪(Room114) but you don’t go to London for the weekend to hang out in your hotel room 👍🏼

Great location, friendly staff

Location. Friendly and helpful staff

Poorly organised. I got the key for somebody’s room who was in!! Carpet was unclean. Toilet light was not working

• Small Double Room

The room wasn’t the cleanest. A dead wasp was found by the window. On the Saturday morning we woke up to find out that we had no hot water, this is just unacceptable. Once we alerted the front desk we were told that we would be called back in 5 to 10 minutes, we were left waiting for 40 minutes until the point where we had to leave for a breakfast reservation.

The location of the hotel was excellent. The bed was comfortable. Checking in and out was very easy and stress free. As we got to the hotel before we were able to check in we liked that we could leave our bags and they were then taken to our room once the room was available.

Breakfast was really good. Staff friendly. Overall hotel a bit rickity and could be a bit cleaner and rooms a bit better. Battled to get online. Phone didn’t work.

My friend went back at 7/8pm and there wasn’t any hot water. She called the reception and the staff told her to wait a few minutes as there should be. She waited, but still no hot water. I went back at 12/1am and there still wasn’t any hot water. I called the reception and they told me that the engineer came one minute ago. I asked how long it would take to get it fixe and they didn’t know. I took a cold shower and had a fever in the next morning. (Well I went to a bar and I stink) They refunded me 20% of the room rate. (which is still unacceptable but I lost my voice in the morning, so I couldn’t be bothered to argue against them)

High ceiling, good location

• Deluxe Double Room

The room was very cold on arrival - the radiator was off and did not heat up when turned on. We re-set the AC and the room was warmer later that evening (I suspect the heating was not on during the day?) - There was also no hot water in the bathroom, which was very disappointing. The room was tired - the carpet was lumpy, the paintwork scruffy and in need of a redecorating. We paid extra for an executive room, which I feel was not worth the money.

The location of the hotel was great, 15 minutes walk from Euston and 2 minutes from Tottenham Court Road. Comfy bed & quaint bakery and cafe downstairs.

The windows were only single and wind was blowing through...

The location is exellent, 300 m walk to both Goodge Street and Totenham Court Road tube stations, 500 m to British Museum. Near Oxford Street shopping and Soho & China Town eating. The Superior room was ok in size, quite soft double bed... Really good cleaning, daily change of linen.

Noisy street. Staff tried to upsell me a more expensive room on arrival which made me feel pressurised. There were 3 maintenance issues with my room one of which meant that I spent a sleepless night as the window had to be left open onto the busy street. They should have offered to put me in another room. I reported the various maintenance issues plus a staff member's discourteous attitude to the manager. He didn't seem to care, didn't really apologise and never got back to me as he promised. The hotel did not appear to value my custom.

Trendy decor.

Tired decor, malfunctioning door lock, no hot water, plaster under bed and lack of room service. Overall disappointed.

Great location and helpful and friendly staff

The Room (116) was right next to a streetlight and the window blind was inadequate to prevent light streaming in and therefore it was difficult to sleep, especially as there was constant noise from surrounding areas. Also, the cold water pressure in the sink was low and the shower temperature was far too hot.

The best thing about the Hotel is the location, being just 5 minutes walk from Oxford Street and just a short taxi ride from St Pancras (approx. £10.00).

Small room, aged furniture and decor and extremely overpriced for what it was. Would of been fair if less than half the price. I have stayed at nicer travel lodges.

Comfy bed

The hotel was nice and the room very clean. However it is very small compared to a standard hotel room. Probably what to expect in London but in the pictures the rooms looked bigger. We had a double standard room. Very nice staff, very clean room. In the end, enough for a week-end.

• Superior Twin Room

The night time staff were junior and seemed to ask for our help to solve the hotels problem. The cafe staff were a bit all over the shop and the tables were dirty and we had the worst cup of tea we had every had.

The bed was comfortable and the hotel was clean and the day time and reception staff were very friendly and helpful. It was good value for money.

The rooms are very noisy and they have serious plumbing problems ... the 2 issues are actually related.

The only good thing is the bakery, excellent pastries, scones, etc

• Small Double Room

No hot water.... how is that possible and this is was the second day for the hotel

Great location... but no hot water and that was the second day in a row. So they knew about the issue when I was checking in but failed to tell me or any of the guests!

Never left a review before but felt obliged to do so ....Very tired hotel, small rooms with poor furniture. Incessant ‘electro-swing’ in the public areas. Room was cold and controls made no difference. Bathroom VERY cold with only electric towel radiator. Everywhere was quite dirty. Cafe service very slow. All in all my worst stay in London for many years .... and expensive!

Excellent location

bathroom was tough to manage. shower got too hot or too cold. toilet you had to yank to flush. a/c heat unit wasn't working properly. probably just our room.

cheap

First room i got was incredibly small and smelled from cigarettes, i received a different room, bigger, but yet very small, tiny shower not ventilated and with bad smell, unbelievable slow elevator. Not a good experience, Low value for money.

Great Location, Friendly Staff, very nice bakery (Gail’s Bakery), flexible late check out.

the free teas and coffee was tasty but sparsely stocked and it needed the coffee biscuits to go with it, you get these in a Premier Inn... it was my parters birthday and the hotel said they would arrange a cake and balloons to be left in the room on her birthday, i went down to ask reception about this when they didn't arrive and i was ignored completely... left the hotels picture tainted for us.

The rooms were small but very light so it felt bigger than it was and had a nice atmosphere, the mini bar was well stocked, and the shower was hot and powerful.

The room was rediculously small for the price! I understand you pay a lot for location but the photos are so misleading, there wasnt enough room to even pass each other. We also had to wait an hour for an iron, with 3 phone calls to reception and ended in me going to get it myself.

Close to Leicester square, only a 10/15 minute walk on foot.

The toilet sinks would get clogged.

The room was emaculately clean and the beds were super comfortable. The location was convenient as the station was walking distance of 5 min. I loved the breakfast as well. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. As they are best to accommodate couples. Lastly, the staff was very attentive.

First single room they assigned me was like a student dorm, nothing related to the photos on the website I was obliged to pay for an upgrade to double Double bed was small too Noisy from outside because of Very thin walls Rates as a 4 star but everything is less than 3 stars

The location and the pastries of the bakery (when it was open)

• Small Double Room

The attitude of the staff in the restaurant,they need to smile more and be more helpful.,especially at breakfast time!,,

Continental breakfast was perfect.

I wish they could justify the extra £55 charged for a booking made for the very following day. There was a mistake by their or my end with the dates. So I had to pay extra. I’m sorry to state, that the room I was given didn’t have hot water, problems with the side lamp and the sinks were clogging in both rooms washrooms. The manager gave me 1 day of compensation of £ 8 worth of breakfast. I tried to negotiate through booking .com at the time of booking but the person at the hotels end was adamant about charging. I feel being taken advantage of.

Staff was friendly and attentive to needs. Beds week very comfortable.

The bathroom looked great, but there was no cold water, so the shower was scalding hot and not usable. The bath didn’t have any running water at all. This situation remained for the stay. There didn’t seem to be any active movement to sort it out. We were offered a shower on a floor that did have water. We had accepted an upgrade at reduced price that included breakfast, but the next day we had to have a conversation to convince the receptionist that that had been the deal. This was even more unpleasant given the absence of acceptable bathroom facilities.

Fabulous penthouse room, very comfortable and access to unlimited coffee & tea

Browse My Bloomsbury traveller photo gallery