Reviews of Northern Hotel 3 stars

Clerk Street, Brechin, DD9 6AE, United Kingdom

#3 of 3 hotels in Brechin

pity they didnt tell us the full story until after we had booked, basic hard working hotel

Although we were well aware of the bike festival being held in the town before going what we didn't know or weren't made aware of until after confirming a non refundable booking was that the hotel was a central location for said festival and that we would have issues accessing their car park, which I had phoned ahead and enquired about their car parking arrangements before finalising the booking, so was annoyed when an email arrived a few days before our stay saying that we might have issues. In real terms we would have booked elsewhere if we had known or been made aware of this before confirming any booking. Concern about the safety of our vehicles did spoil our stay somewhat. My partner found the beds to be on the hard side whilst the rooms etc of the couple staying with us were reported as being fine. wifi was slow. Lighting in hallways at rooms was on the dark side which gave a bit of fun when trying to put the room key into the door.

central in the town and non stop & pleasant staff especially the owner manager, it seemed that she was on the go all day. Breakfast was produced to a good standard and again staff very helpful.

We had managed to book one of the last 2 rooms available...

The coffee at breakfast wasn't good.

We had managed to book one of the last 2 rooms available that weekend and were allowed to choose extra large bed. Really comfortable. It turned out it was a family room, lovely and spacious with a larger bathroom too. Just excellent. Delicious croissant at breakfast too.

Great hotel in centre of brechin

Great hotel,perfectly located. Clean rooms,great shower and very good WiFi signal. Food in restaurant was amazing and breakfast exceptional. Staff very helpful and manager helped me with printing from hotel computer

Most of it

First thing was when went to the bar there was no staff went out for a show back to the hotel about 11pm went bed and was above the bar and the music was being played till 1am 1.30am & the noise outside from people leaving the bar but I would like a response from booking.com not like other times I make comments

Most of it

Nice local hotel that if I was in the area or had friends who were visiting I would definitely .

There was nothing I could complain about.

The food was very nice, I like that they cooked fresh and not pre made. Staff were friendly and pleasant. Room was comfortable bed good size and the shower had good pressure.

Ok

The price of the room for what it was, the noise heard in the room and coming from the bar until it closed. The damp marks on the wall. The wait to check in.

The room size was great and the decor in the bar and reception were lovely and breakfast was good

Not as advertised on website, poor.

Had phoned to say we would arrive late, no lights from car park, room was wrong, very loud disco, hotel in poor repair and unclean, room did look like it had been decorated recently. Did not want to chance breakfast...would never recommend. Clientele dodgy and seemed to know night porter which makes me think they were living in hotel.

Excellent location, nice food, would stay again.

I was situated on the ground floor presumably as we had a pet, this was located through a door located next to the hotel bathrooms. This area could be dressed up a bit (i.e. plastic sign on the door directing you to the rooms looked a bit shabby)

The location is perfect and the restaurant was very nice.

Disappointed in the decline in this beautiful spacious apartment ...
    • Two-Bedroom Apartment

This is our second stay and we were disappointed with the decline in the apartment including badly stained carpet ceiling in bathroom very damaged damp and stained, microwave not clean found socks under bed from previous occupants. No plug in kitchen sink. We were saddened at the decline though staff at hotel seemed to be unaware of it and apologised. The beds were very clean and comfortable as were the lovely white towels.

We liked the Caledonian Railway as that was the reason for visit. We like the town centre location spacious apartment.

A fine place to be for our needs

Nothing to say about this

The beds were comfy the room was adequate for our needs had never be to Brechin before and we were going to a golden wedding just perfect

It served its urpose

The noise, the chilliness of the whole place including the rooms

The staff were lovely despite being rushed off their feet and clearly in need of more colleagues

Just what we would have wished for.

Parking was limited. There was difficulty locating our bottle of wine which arrived after our meal was served.

The home made scones were excellent. The bed was so comfortable. The staff were friendly.

Very enjoyable
    • Mini Suite

Staff were very welcoming, cooked breakfast in the morning was excellent even for fussy eaters and the accommodation was ideal for what we were looking forl

Booked a room as an offer sent to me by booking.

Booked a room as an offer sent to me by booking.com. Turns out they had made a mistake and could not honour original price. I called and asked to change this and was offered a room well over my budget. Explained this and the manager offered me a standard double for £80 (more than was advertised on booking.com at full price) and so I declined. Still awaiting a refund and cancellation as hotel have advised it was booking.com who had to amend this. Was looking forward to my stay so was disappointed.

Very friendly and great staff. A great place to stay. Comfortable.

I found mould under the bath mat in my room. I bought bleach and cleaned it myself. The cleaner also moved some of my things around and I was a little troubled about that. Otherwise every thing else was very good.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. I would recommend this hotel to my family and friends. Thanks to everyone,I had a really good time.

Disappointed with an apartment that was in a separate, dilapidated building and was shabby and dirty
    • Large Two-Bedroom Apartment

Note that this review relates to the family apartments. The family apartments are in a separate building, which is dilapidated, not very secure and exits onto a busy road. This wasn't evident -- to me, at least -- at the time of booking. The 'on-site' parking is, therefore, not really on site. The apartment was shabby and dirty, with an entry door that appeared to have been forced and patched up at least once. Other problems included, for example, that there were several table lamps that were plugged in but had no bulbs in them, representing a real electrocution hazard to young children. My dissatisfaction on arrival wasn't really addressed, with the only suggestion being that we could pay more for rooms in the hotel proper. When I said we'd rather just continue our journey and look elsewhere, I was told that that was up to me but I'd be paying for the accommodation either way.

BAD BREAKFAST.NO STAFFF.

The service in breakfast was terrible.one poor girl on her own and the tables were not set properly.we had no orange juice.no milk in milk jug..no butter for toast.and when toast did turn up after several reminders!it was wrong!brown not white.not hot and not even toasted!!!!so very dissapointed with breakfast .considering the price of it.

Nice location, nice hotel, little overpriced for the rating...

Nice location, nice hotel, little overpriced for the rating I would give it. The food was poor. Breakfast and the lunch we had on our arrival. Not up to any standard.

A dated premises, apartments are across the road from the hotel.
    • Two-Bedroom Apartment

The carpet was stained and unpleasant, all of the furniture was tired, the couch and bed uncomfortable. There was no phone to connect you to the hotel which was across the road. I would have been uncomfortable if I had been alone there. There was no booklet about the hotel and locality which is usual in hotel apartments that I have stayed in before. These two reasons meant we were not really connected to the hotel and had no reason to go there at all. The curtains in the second bedroom were very thin so it was daylight by 4am. I did report that to management so hopefully they change them. Parking is provided (about 10 spaces) but it is across the road behind the hotel so awkward to load and unload the car. There is no lift in the apartment building and no offer to help us, we were on the third floor! There is traffic noise, not deafening, but it is an old building with single glazing and on a main route.

We stayed in an apartment. the privacy was good.

• Reviewed: 23 February 2017

good ,central location.
    • Two-Bedroom Apartment

Being on the main road, traffic is very noisy from about 6.30 am until about 8 am

good ,central location. Free parking. we were in an apartment which is across the road from the main hotel, and the kitchen had everything we needed. Also the views were lovely.

• Reviewed: 25 January 2017

Average stay, a bit overpriced.

They forgot to clean my room, change used bedding / towels etc before my arrival, but staff dealt with the issue quickly and efficiently. Ribeye steak dinner was average.

Good location / free parking nearby. Friendly staff.

• Reviewed: 16 January 2017

Could be so much better

On the down side my evening meals were some of the worst I have ever had working away from home. Very poor standard just a real bug bear of mine when the owners of a hotel do not recognize that the food they serve just lets everything else down.

I thought the bedrooms were very neat and tidy, really nice pleasant hotel.

• Reviewed: 11 January 2017

The Staff were more than helpful and catered for all our...

The Staff were more than helpful and catered for all our needs. Breakfast was excellent, parking was on site, WIFi was good, and Location was central.

• Reviewed: 5 December 2016

Good, cosy
    • Two-Bedroom Apartment

New windows maybe in the apartments?? They are that thin, it was like having the window wide open when traffic went past

The space we had in the apartment was very cosy

• Reviewed: 16 November 2016

A Little Gem.

Nothing not to like.

Comfortable rooms. Excellent, friendly and welcoming staff. Of all the hotels to choose from in the area this would always be my first choice.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

Never again.

Disorganised .No one on reception. Had to search for staff. Was kept awake by drunken wedding party guests allowed to run around around hotel corridors until 2am. Received abrupt phone call immediately prior to visit demanding to know when I'd be arriving. Was told to hang on and kept waiting on phone for 8minutes. Unacceptable.

Clean room.

We won't stay again.
    • Large Two-Bedroom Apartment

Only 1 usable bedside lamp between 2 rooms. No mirror in one. Toilet roll holder hanging off wall. Nowhere in bathroom for toiletries. No drawers for clothes in bedroom. Apartment entrance dirty.

• Reviewed: 31 August 2016

comfortable and friendly hotel

this room is on the corner of the hotel at a junction so can be noisy from passing traffic

we were given the bridal suite which was very comfortable and quite spacious. Staff were all helpful and friendly

• Reviewed: 16 August 2016

Great location close to everything!
    • Two-Bedroom Apartment

Would have liked breakfast to be included in cost however plenty of eating places close by and we also had dinner in the hotel which was lovely. We look forward to going back.

Loved location we used one of the apartments which was spacious and clean and great for families, we were in area to take 2 little boys to journey on the steam trains which was in walking distance.

• Reviewed: 9 August 2016

Extermly disappointed
    • Mini Suite

The bath shower screen was inadequate when you shower the water leaks everywhere. The two other beds the slats missing and falling off. I had to ask the staff to replace the bed. The beds were not suitable for adults. The extractor fan from the kitchen was extremely noisy could not sleep properly. Staff did not replenish shower gel bottles.

• Reviewed: 9 August 2016

Lovely hotel/staff but.....

Asked staff to call us a taxi and they refused and gave us a number. Single beds - it's been years since we've had an actual single bed in a hotel and even worse was there were single quilts too - as a petite 5'2" female My feet were hanging off the end of the bed and the quilt didn't cover all of me - my friend is 6' so was much worse off! The bars were closed when we arrived back in the evening and it was only about 2320 - although we were allowed to purchase 1 drink each and take it to our room we would much rather have sat in the bar/lounge for a drink. Most hotel bars stay open for residents nowadays.

Staff were friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 6 August 2016

Comfortable hotel in the centre of town

The price which, although typical for Scotland, seemed steep for the location.

The room was comfortable and the breakfast was a hearty one. The interior of the hotel is surprisingly good compared with its rather austere exterior

• Reviewed: 27 July 2016

All rounder excellent!
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

I had to come home :(

The staff were amazing, welcoming, professional and very helpful! Went out there way with everything! The food in restaurant was fresh and delicious at reasonable prices! The cleanliness all round the room, restaurant, reception were spotless! Great stay!

The apartment they offered was excellent, clean and spacious.

The apartment they offered was excellent, clean and spacious. Great to not just have a room but an actual whole apartment

Dinner and breakfast was good, staff friendly and competent

Dinner and breakfast was good, staff friendly and competent

Large nice room,clean,great shower.

Large nice room,clean,great shower. Tasty breakfast and dinner in restaurant was delicious Definitely will be back

Basic hotel that works

The disco below can get noisy

Smooth check in A parking for a car

Booked last minute so couldn't be picky, good value for money but a bit noisey.

Saturday night music finished st 1am and was noises as people left.

Breakfast was good and staff friendly

Better than expected

Toilet paper of the very thin variety. Could definitely use a better loo roll

An excellent breakfast

Speechless

Room was above the very noisy hotel pub and the room was cold. We were given a fan heater. The hotel lobby and restaurant were also cold!!

Lovely size room and friendly staff

Lovely size room and friendly staff

poor

service

Very enjoyable. Excellent dinner especially the Cullen Skink.

The street entrance needs refurbishment.

Comfy bed and spacious lounge. Equipped kitchen and good bathroom. All very clean.

ok

shower head was filthy

Breakfast was good

It was very nice, good food and breakfast spot on, would certainly stay again,thank you

Carling lager was flat

A very enjoyable stay

Excellent hotel, we always use the Northern when we are in the area.

Excellent breakfast, waiter maybe needs a little more training on meeting and greeting guests but he was friendly nonetheless.

Had a really comfortable stay, with nice food and friendly staff. Thank you.

Nothing to complain about.

Liked everything.

Not good would not stay there again

There was a bar downstairs which was playing loud music all night. Couldn't sleep well. Also the family required maintenace work

Good value

Coffee

Friendly receptionist, clean rooms & bathroom.

Quaint friendly hotel

Food was average and took a while to be served. Room was quite small and no bath but for the most part it was okay

Excellent staff.

Staff were helpful and everything was orderly and...

Staff were helpful and everything was orderly and comfortable.

Easy to get to

Poor breakfast. Cheap low quality ingredients. Sausage nearly raw :(

Easy to get to

Good wholesome Scottish Food excellent service nothing was...

You can not improve on perfection A Scottish Honeymoon

Good wholesome Scottish Food excellent service nothing was too much trouble

Staff were very helpful

Beds were a bit soft for my liking

Staff were very helpful

• Reviewed: 20 April 2017

Very nice hotel

Friendly and helpful and very clean room nice breakfast

Stayed in the apartment and was perfect for seeing family in...
    • Large Two-Bedroom Apartment

Stayed in the apartment and was perfect for seeing family in the area

• Reviewed: 19 February 2017

Would recommend the hotel.
    • Large Two-Bedroom Apartment

A hand rail on apartment stair required.

Perfect situation near centre of town. Car park behind hotel.

• Reviewed: 19 February 2017

Enjoyable break

Good sized room, friendly staff

• Reviewed: 18 February 2017

Very convenient for Town Hall. Very cosy and comfortable

No biscuit

Spacious room And shower Free parking Lovely curtains

• Reviewed: 18 February 2017

Location, staff and food were all good to excellent, no...

There was not anything I disliked.

Location, staff and food were all good to excellent, no complaints. Would stay again if the need arose.

• Reviewed: 13 January 2017

Stunning food

Secondary glazing to cut down outside noise

Staff were extra friendly which helps when a lone traveller. Food outstanding.Would definately stay again

• Reviewed: 14 November 2016

brilliant

Breakfast would be better as a buffet

Room was beautiful

• Reviewed: 12 November 2016

Fantastic hotel, Amazing staff

The staff from reception, bar staff, restaurant, cleaners were excellent. So friendly and nothing was too much bother

• Reviewed: 18 October 2016

Good weekend

The room rate

Food was excellent accommodation comfortable but a bit expensive for the room

• Reviewed: 6 October 2016

Perfect

Showers are amazing 😄

• Reviewed: 4 October 2016

Super friendly and super clean hotel

Would hAve liked bed to be bigger as we're used to sleeping in super king but not a big deal

Staff were excellent and breakfast excellent

• Reviewed: 30 September 2016

Won't be returning!!

Room was very close to wedding with loud music and dancing,when complained staff suggested couldn't have been in worse room,no apology

• Reviewed: 18 September 2016

Quick break at a Scottish gem

Excellent stay. Very obliging staff

• Reviewed: 9 September 2016

Breakfast was a bit of random meat and fruit to be honest

Breakfast was a bit of random meat and fruit to be honest

• Reviewed: 8 September 2016

Staff a bit slow with our evingu meal and really slow at...

Staff a bit slow with our evingu meal and really slow at breakfast.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2016

Fab
    • Mini Suite

The staff were fab, especially the gentleman that welcomed us and went out of his way to make the kids comfortable.

• Reviewed: 25 August 2016

Good food reasonably priced, pleasant helpful friendly staff.

Good food reasonably priced, pleasant helpful friendly staff.

• Reviewed: 23 August 2016

staff were good

got woke up at 130 with a party leaving the hotel complained

staff were good

• Reviewed: 23 August 2016

Great spacious room - and great food.

secured wifi not available in room

Great spacious room - and great food. Very comfortable stay

• Reviewed: 21 August 2016

Traditional old style hotel but rooms have been refurbished to a very high standard

Good car parking and newly refurbished room