Reviews of Nuthurst Grange Country House Hotel & Restaurant 4 stars

Nuthurst Grange Lane, Hockley Heath , Solihull, B94 5NL, United Kingdom

#2 of 10 hotels in Solihull

• Reviewed: 8 October 2018

Great stay apart from early checkout

What I didn’t like was the early breakfast we felt getting up at 8 30am as breakfast finished at 9 30am on Sundaymorning was far too early and to vacate the room by 10am was ridiculously early this spoilt the stay really

This hotel was fabulous i

• Reviewed: 29 September 2018

Very good. Most agreeable stay with a warm welcome.

The grey decor is very “on trend” but was a bit too much on all the bedroom walls! Quite drab. Needed some white and some pictures to brighten it up. Not very peaceful sitting on the terrace - beautiful surroundings but considerable motorway noise. Net curtain needed in the bedroom.

A very friendly welcome. Super-king highly comfortable bed. Excellent, ample-portioned breakfast. Big room, separate seating area & modern bathroom.

A pleasant overnight stay following a special family event in the hotel's Stables venue
    • Executive Suite

On or two very minor D.Y.I. items of work required. e.g a spotlight in the shower had blown, light over sink did not have a cover over, just small bulb, and the carpet next to the bed had not been laid properly so that there was a lump caused by excess carpet fabric. Evening dinner was pleasant enough although I would not bother with the mushroom and and shallot sauce with the steak.

Exceptional level of courtesy, service and attention from all staff encountered. The public areas and grounds are delightful, real country house environment. The room was spacious, clean and comfortable (we we given the bridal suite) with good views over the Tapster Valley if the weather had been better. Plenty of parking. Generous first class breakfast cooked to order.

The staff were exceptionally helpful and friendly, and even...

The staff were exceptionally helpful and friendly, and even took the extra effort to give me a ring when the room service was about to be delivered so I wasn't startled by the door going (it was quite late when I arrived).

Fantastic staff very attentive excellent hosts and fabulous...

Little pricey for what's on offer but still lovely

Fantastic staff very attentive excellent hosts and fabulous waiter called Is. Lovely food in restaurant

Bedroom was upgraded and the room we were in was just...

Waited a little while for drinks on sun soaked terrace but as soon as I asked we were sorted quickly. I think more down to a slight miscommunication.

Bedroom was upgraded and the room we were in was just stunning.

We had a wonderful time even with the blip at breakfast.

Breakfast service requires attention eg staff presence and levels of understanding. Marked difference in breakfast service compared to dinner service.

The room was very spacious for a standard room. Staff on the first day very attentive and committed to providing a quality experience. Dinner was excellent in terms of quality and service. Grounds and hotel beautiful.

Very enjoyable a nice hotel with good facilities and staff would stay again

We were in room 19 lovely room but as the bath was filling there were two loud cracks and there were cracks on the floor As a result we showered instead

Excellent breakfast well cooked and delivered inside 5 minutes

Had a lovely time and would stay there again, and would definitely recommend.

Room was very large with two King size beds. Very comfortable too. Lovely big bathroom with excellent Temple Spa toiletries. Breakfast was very good and the meal we had in the restaurant was excellent. The service in both the bar and restaurant was exemplary.

A respite weekend away from our flooded home that surpassed our expectations. Ab Fab!

Breakfast could be served until a little later on a weekend.

The relaxed atmosphere, the splendid Warwickshire countryside views, the amazing staff and the wonderful food, especially the homemade bread!

Fabulous and will come again

NOTHING at all could not fault any thing

The whole experience was excellent ,the staff courteous ,friendly and exceptional professionally in their jobs.

We loved our stay and found the country house setting very...

We loved our stay and found the country house setting very quiet and comfortable. .Evening meal in the restaurant was delicious however a little expensive. Breakfast was excellent .We hope to make a return visit and will certainly recommend Nuthurst

20 Minutes from NEC Luxury Accommodation
    • Standard Family Room

Friendly reception. Clean large room. We had a family room and there were three of us. 2 lovely large double beds at the end of the corridor with lots of large windows. Fantastic room.

A hotel of this alleged standard should have higher quality cuisine. Not bad - but not great.

When breakfast menu says "eggs" it really means "egg" - as in "haddock with egg(s)". Poor lighting in bedroom - impossible to read.

Nice grounds, surroundings and general ambiance.

Bathroom was lovely.

Main room was very chintzy (not my style) Duvet not scratchy blanket and eiderdown would be preferable. For the money £190 was overpriced

Bathroom was lovely.

Relaxing stay in a lovely country hotel with great food.

Minor points only: slight curtain malfunction in our room; it would have been nice to have a small reading table with the two chairs in our room.

All the food was presented well and tasted even better. Proper black pudding for breakfast was a small bonus for me (I hate the compressed variety available in supermarkets). The creme brulee dessert was superb. Our room was much more spacious than I was expecting and we had a lovely walk-in shower. We felt relaxed throughout our stay and this was in no small part down to the friendly staff. The whole place has an ambience that makes you feel at home.

Peaceful, calm, comfortable and excellent service.

Nothing, loved it all.

Everything about this Hotel was good, will definitely being staying there again. Service was excellent and the owners should be proud of how guests are treated. The team there went out of their way to help me with Lactose and Gluten Free options. The Chef planning courses for the Taster Menu. Thank you

Excellent night away

Bit Noisy first thing in the morning, with tables being moved around.

Nice bedroom, nice location, staff very friendly and willing to meet your needs. Restaurant nice and good food selection

Loved everything, beautiful hotel!

As mentioned above the radiator is beneath the window but the beautiful heavy curtains blocked the heat, so I tucked them up to let the heat circulate!

Everything about this hotel was superb and I have stayed at various hotels. The only slight comment I would make it the bedroom was very cold and I tucked the curtains up so the heat from the radiator could circulate!

The staff couldn't be nicer, they make the hotel.

The décor is so dated in the bedrooms and I really didn't like having the blanket on the bed. I can't imagine they change them every time a guest leaves. Update the décor and it will be prefect.

The staff couldn't be nicer, they make the hotel.

Excellent, staff were all really helpful and very professional

I would have liked to have been advised when I booked about the Gala that was being held on one of the nights as it went on very late and my room was right above the lounge bar/Reception. I do not know if Booking.com is made aware of the hotels pre-booked parties/weddings, maybe this is something that could be added in the future.

Great staff, comfortable room and delicious food :-)

It was perfect for my needs during my stay (one night).

Wonderful staff (especially Bradley on the front desk when I arrived and Maz when I left), fantastic breakfast, beautiful setting/location, powerful shower, very comfortable bed, delicious breakfast with lots of choice, easy parking and quick motorway access.

An enjoyable experience and warm welcome from the staff.

Dripping shower tap and no hand soap in the bathroom. Noise of the generator or some sort of machinery throughout the night which we could hear as like to sleep with the window open.

Cosy bed spacious bedroom Good tea making facilities

A sheer delight to stay and eat here at this calm and cosy rural hotel.

Fresh milk by default in the b'room fridge would match the high standards of the so many other facilities. My TomTom satnav honed into the post code destination short by 800 metres or so & out of sight of the driveway - if only the Grange has it's own unique post code.

Everything inside and outside. The cuisine as Michael Winner used to say was "historic".

Effortless style

The hotel is being refurbished and the corridor just beyond the door to this room was therefore screened off. I was not there whilst the workers were on site so I was not disturbed by this at all

Big room, comfortable bed, large shower/wet room

This hotel had a lovely 'olde world' charm about it. The staff made my stay!
    • Standard Family Room

Disturbed by the noise of someone cleaning the bar area around 5.30am. Chairs were being scraped around and rearranged. My room was cold and the heating was controlled by the hotel. They switched it on when asked but it took a long while for the room to warm up. The heating was not on when I woke in the morning.

Extremely good service provided by the staff. They were very attentive and helpful and nothing was too much trouble. Parking was easy. Food was very good. Room was lovely.

I would definitely stay again and recommend to others.

The room was really spacious. The shower was amazing :) We enjoyed the breakfast which was cooked individually to order. Staff were very friendly and very accommodating. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

A lovely place to stay - a real treat!

n/a

Beautiful hotel and location. Staff were very friendly and welcoming. Our room was beautiful as were the grounds and the views. Fabulous breakfast too. Would love to return!

Value for money, just. Would not return.

Hot water ran cold quickly, poor housekeeping detailing. Organized as conference/wedding venue; not well suited to 'leisure' guests

Staff friendly and helpful Dinner not impressive, breakfast good

Nice large room, comfy bed & a good nights sleep

The TV channels all mixed up and could not get BB1 & BBC2 also TV control did not work properly On the first night i ordered a sauce with steak had to ask again for sauce Cooked Breakfast was OK mushrooms very over cocked also asked for Worcester sauce and the waitress came back with a dish of Horseradish sauce !!

Nice large room, comfy bed & a good nights sleep

We were guests at a wedding party - a perfect venue and an ideal overnight stay

Can't think of anything and don't see any point in being unnecessarily picky

Large room with large bathroom on the ground floor, ideal for my husband who has limited mobiliy

Enjoyed

a little bit to formal for my taste. could have been warmer in bar and dining area.

impressive property and views. lovely large comfortable room. friendly reception pleasant staff tasty food

• Reviewed: 9 June 2017

Nice place but a terrible manager

Our stay was spoilt by the arrogance of the restaurant manager who showed contempt to both customers and staff alike

The size of the bedroom and location was very good.

• Reviewed: 9 June 2017

A relaxing environment in lovely countryside

The coffee was served at breakfast in one of those cafetière things! I would have preferred filter coffee or nespresso. The cafetière coffee didn't taste right. Otherwise all perfect.

The restaurant (evening) was excellent with a wide and varied menu. The breakfast was superb.

Relaxing Stay

The room was a bit dated but everything was clean and the bed very comfortable. Staff are very friendly and helpful and the food is incredibly delicious. Definitely worth a stay!

• Reviewed: 21 April 2017

Disappointing visit: Noisy room

We requested a quiet room and were given Room 9. It became apparent when we went to bed that the room was near running machinery - we think a refrigeration unit in the kitchen. There was therefore a constant humming noise. My husband phoned the night manager about this who went to check that the kitchen staff had switched off all of their equipment and for a brief 10 minutes the noise stopped. It then started again and the night manager was called to our room and confirmed that he too could hear the reverberation noise. He took us to the 2 only other rooms available and at just gone midnight we moved to another room on the ground floor(Room 2). So - it was a disturbed night at Nuthurst Grange! When we checked out, we were really surprised that the reception staff did not mention this. (The hotel staff clearly knew as over breakfast one of the staff made reference to us being the couple who had had to change rooms during the night because of noise.) Indeed the member of staff on reception as we left seemed quite disengaged - the complete reverse of the welcome we had on arrival.

Reception staff when we arrived were very welcoming and efficient. Staff in the restaurant and the bar were exceptionally polite and solicitous.

• Reviewed: 12 April 2017

Fantastic place to stay!

Nothing, everything was ok.

Hospitality, the staff was very polite and helpful with information. Hotel for itself was very nicely decorated. The rooms are very big and comfortable. Certainly I can highly recommend to anyone to stay in this hotel.

• Reviewed: 31 March 2017

Excellent, highly recommended hotel

Top class customer service, very professional and extra friendly staff. Very quiet hotel, fabulous food and fantastic, spacious rooms! We very travelling on business, really happy with the choice, one of the best hotels I have stayed in. Warmest regards to Peter! :)

Last minute bonus

My breakfast was not the best as they got my order wrong and the check out time was little early.

Great area. With a nice view. The hotel room was very big and spacious. The parking was easy but it was a comfy and welcoming hotel

• Reviewed: 14 March 2017

Would stay here again and hope the food had improved

Overpriced food at dinner e.g. Cheese taken straight from 'fridge and tasteless. Lamb very disappointing, paid superior price for budget cuts. Breakfast, fish very strong taste and salty. English breakfast cooked earlier and dried out.

Spacious comfortable room Staff very friendly and attentive. Plenty of car park spaces Pleasant grounds

A great stay

Rooms were large and clean.. their was no dressing table to get ready to do your make up or dry your hair.. I had to sit on the floor to put make up on in hallway... and then blow dry hair outside the bathroom door but use mirror in bathroom... The bar wasnt manned during the day.. everytime you needed a drink you had to go to reception and they would get the barman to come from restaurant area... they didnt mind but the barman/waiter was running around

Friendly Staff - couldnt do enough of you..

• Reviewed: 12 March 2017

Short break

The size of the room and bathroom and the facilities. All staff very friendly. Easy check in and out. Breakfast very nice with lovely views over the gardens

• Reviewed: 9 March 2017

Definately will be returning!

Nothing to complain about

My room was fabulous, especially for the price! I had a Jacuzzi bath and made full use of this. The bed was comfy and the staff were so attentive, polite and approachable. The food in the restaurant was very good and not expensive and there was a fabulous choice for breakfast.

• Reviewed: 8 March 2017

A little gem near to Stratford

The road noise from the motorway was apparent outside (but I must add that it was virtually un-noticed inside due to double glazed windows)

We felt we had a very luxurious little break! The bedroom and bathroom were truly lovely together with a wonderful view if the trees and gardens. The food was also excellent!

• Reviewed: 5 March 2017

Great hotel, the staff are superb

My en-suite was a bit tired and in need of an update - no amount of products, slippers and bathrobes can hide that. I find it quite frustrating that the kettle is on a table nowhere near a plug point - sitting on the floor with it is not great.

Great service, lovely restaurant and good food. Super bed and linen.

• Reviewed: 28 February 2017

Average hotel and food not great. Disappointed after seeing good reviews.

Food was poor. Overcooked fish both at dinner and breakfast. Front of house staff in bar were flustered and service poor. Would prefer duvet in room - not sheets and blankets.

Reception staff

• Reviewed: 22 February 2017

Friendly welcome and spacious room and bathroom, though noisy at front from motorway

Entrance hall floor was being refurbished. Would like to have been notified beforehand. Heating was too hot which made evening meal in restaurant uncomfortable

Comfort of lounge area

• Reviewed: 15 February 2017

Great,great and great!

Tv a little on the small size for such a lovely large room.

Reception staff were very friendly and efficient on arrival. Food and staff in the restaurant excellent,particularly on the first evening.

• Reviewed: 10 February 2017

Business stay

The one thing that could have been better was the hot water to the bathrooms i was in room 9 and a collegue in room 13, the tap water in the bath was only luke warm the showers however were fine.

It would be hard to find fault with this hotel lovely room as fabulous food the staff were exceptional.

• Reviewed: 30 January 2017

Lovely rooms

Breakfast finished at 09.30, would be nice to have slightly later breakfast on a Sunday morning

Lovely rooms Late check out available on request, staff were happy to accomodate

• Reviewed: 16 January 2017

Enjoyable Hotel

On this occasion my breakfast kippers were uncooked in the middle, unfortunately I had no time to wait for another breakfast. This is the first time I have had a problem but it will not put me off I will continue to use it.

The location is good and the staff are very friendly. All rooms are different, I am sure I have stayed in the majority of them over the years.

• Reviewed: 13 December 2016

The rooms are big with lots of storage space.

The food is a bit overpriced, but can't complain on the quality

The rooms are big with lots of storage space. The scenery from the hotel window is stunning.

• Reviewed: 26 November 2016

Excellent location, comfortable, with friendly staff.

Sadly the restaurant was dedicated to a "food experience evening" so the normal dinner menu was suspended, with no food alternative available. Something I think the hotel should have mentioned at the time of my booking. Driving for three hours to find I then required to go out to eat at an alternative restaurant was very disappointing.

Superb location so near to the NEC Birmingham. Excellent greeting by Reception staff and very comfortable stay.

• Reviewed: 12 November 2016

Disappointing and certainly not value for money

Too many stairs to second floor No obvious lift Our check out on Saturday was 1000am far too early as we had attended a late party at the hotel the night before Breakfast ended at 0930 on a weekend! Breakfast was cold although supposedly freshly cooked

Impressive driveway and facade

• Reviewed: 12 November 2016

The location, out in the countryside, is excellent.

We went to a party in the stable block and whilst it was lovely, the volume of the band was far too loud. Not sure whether this was the hotel's responsibility or not, but most of the guests were commenting on how they couldn't hear themselves think let alone talk to each other.

The location, out in the countryside, is excellent. The room was very good and the beds excellent. Our only very minor criticism of the room was the amount of time it took us to find the minibar in the wardrobe!

• Reviewed: 27 October 2016

Nuthurst Grange is blissful

It was raining when we left (probably not your fault!!!)

We liked everything - especially the very helpful and friendly staff. They however were not "pushy" which can be as bad as inattention. We had a woinderful break - relaxed with very good food and a lovely and well appointed room.

Brilliant stay would recommend.

The hotel staff were very friendly and made my partner's birthday weekend very special. They even allowed me to decorate the room for him before we checked in together! Lovely stay and would deffinately go again.

• Reviewed: 16 October 2018

Lovely big room
    • Deluxe Double Room

Lovely big room

• Reviewed: 6 October 2018

exceptional

I have stayed before and will stay again.

• Reviewed: 4 October 2018

Nicely decorated rooms

Water too hot

Nicely decorated rooms

• Reviewed: 30 September 2018

Super hotel with wonderful staff.

No negatives

Fantastic charming hotel. Attentive staff and very professional. Lovely decor and feel to the place, rooms were very well appointed.

• Reviewed: 20 September 2018

Business and Pleasure stay - been before - would go again if I was staying in that area

Very friendly and helpful venue. Good location and food was very good. Attentive staff also

• Reviewed: 30 August 2018

Very happy from venue to staff

All of it

Staff were very attentive, polite and helpful.

Motorway noise when outside.

Staff were very attentive, polite and helpful. Food was super, both breakfast and dinner. Excellent ingredients.

The flow of water from the taps was quite slow

The flow of water from the taps was quite slow

Very nice stay, lovely hotel with excellent rooms

Room was excellent and breakfast really good

Excellent breakfast

No turndown service actually delivered despite being mentioned in the room.

Excellent breakfast

Very friendly staff, good food

slightly obtrusive background music (but it was quiet)

Very friendly staff, good food

Incredible room, lovely building, great breakfast, friendly...

Incredible room, lovely building, great breakfast, friendly staff

Good
    • Executive Suite

The noise from the m40

The food choice was great the surrounding were excellent.

could not fault hotel at all, loved everthing about it,...

could not fault hotel at all, loved everthing about it, staff ,food, location will definatley return again .

Incredible building, great breakfast, huge room, fast wifi

Incredible building, great breakfast, huge room, fast wifi

I travel with work alot and would recommend this hotel everytime if your staying in this area.

Very comfortable, welcoming and friendly staff. Food Excellent would definitely recommend

Room is awesome, customer service is excellent, breakfast...
    • Standard Family Room

Room is awesome, customer service is excellent, breakfast delicious and great value

Another lovely stay at Nuthurst Grange. Very relaxing atmosphere, excellent food and staff

Staff very friendly and efficient. Lovely food.