Reviews of Cedar Lodge Hotel 2 stars

41-47 Okehampton Road, Exeter, EX4 1EH, United Kingdom

#17 of 18 B&Bs and Inns in Exeter

Would not go back

Obviously done on the cheap to enable owners to make maximum profit. No shaver point, no water glasses, worn and mended furniture, very thin towels.

Staff were very friendly and helpful. Sheets and towels were clean.

Pleasurable and relaxing

The proximity being enclosed by so many other buildings that in the warm weather you could not have windows open at night

The staff were so friendly and helpfull and the breakfast you could not fault

Great hotel, we had a family room which slept 4 adults...
    • Family Room for 4

No biscuits lol. Would have loved a biscuit with the coffee.

Great hotel, we had a family room which slept 4 adults comfortably. Good size bedroom. Good price. Nice breakfast and friendly staff.

Reception closes at 8pm, which with late arrival due to...

Very hot night. No air-con, which we wouldn't expect anyway, but provision of a fan would have been welcome.

Reception closes at 8pm, which with late arrival due to traffic was a potential problem. We had a friendly call at 6.30pm when we didn't arrive to our pre-declared schedule, and arrangements to access key box etc. were clear both on the phone and by e-mail.

Would definitely stay here again. Good value and comfort and for the money. Terrific staff.

Needs a bigger bathroom. It was tiny, although clean and pretty. Not too many good eating places in the neighborhood. I had a hard time with my gluten- and potato allergies outside in the neighborhood. But that seems to be in Britain overall. Could have used more advice for shopping and transportation nearby. I didn't know what to ask. I eventually found a new shopping area with a grocery store but would have liked to know about it sooner. A lot of uphill walking to get to the city center. Not sure which bus to take. No refrigerator in room.

Very friendly and helpful staff. Cute little attic room. Quiet. I liked that they let me sit in the dining room with my computer. Good breakfast, made to order. Nice clean towels everyday. Good tv reception in room. Helped me with my luggage and called a taxi for me. Taxis (twice) arrived almost immediately. Had gluten free bread for toast! Simple room but the bed was very comfortable. Nicely decorated with good light from the window.

Good location to explore Exeter and rooms very clean but a bit noisy from traffic outside
    • Family Room for 4

Beds a bit lumpy and hotel a bit jaded and noisy road out front

Very clean large room convenient for town centre and University. Staff really pleasant and helpful. Off street parking a bonus

Staff good but has some faults in the building .

The room was pokey and very noisy when people walked in the room above, I even heard the chaps alarm go off, so was not impressed with that.

The staff couldn’t be faulted but our toilet rocked when you sat on it till we told staff they fixed that straight away but they was an additional leak in the tiny toilet !

good location, friendly staff but not very homely

the mattress wasn't comfortable, it was weak and we could feel the springs in it. the bathroom was very small with barely any room to move. the shower head wouldnt stay in place, it kept falling down or moving to the side so water wasnt being sprayed on me. the TV was no bigger than a large laptop

the staff were very friendly and explained how to get to the desired locations in the city on arrival. it was only a 10-15 minute walk to the quay and about 20 mins to the city center/cathedral. the breakfast was included in the price of the room - a variety of cereal was on offer along with apple & orange juice, there is also the option of a traditional english breakfast which was very tasty!

Last minute booking for a visit to see relative in hospital

After reading the reviews was worried about stay. But room was spotless and bed very comfortable. Great breakfast and great value for money. Staff friendly and helpful.

Room was minuscule, bathroom was so tiny I had to bend my body round the very small sink to sit on toilet . Room was at the top of a very narrow set of stairs

The location and the breakfast

convient, not too far from the city centre
    • Family Room for 4

The family room is on the ground floor next to a main door, adjacent to the kitchen and to the breakfast room/reception desk. Luckily, it was not too noisy at night as not many guests used that door after 8PM during our stay. However, in the morning, there're a lot of noise when breakfast were served, guests were walking to the breakfast room and chatting there. The 2 single beds in the family rook are uncomfortable as you can feel the springs in the mattress. The extractor fan in the shower room does not work and the room steamed up easily without any ventilation.

I travel with my family (3 adults) for a business and leisure trip. I booked for a family room from booking.com but from the hotel website, the pictures show a family room with a bunk bed and a family room with individual beds. Due to this, to be on a safe side, I left a message to the hotel via the booking.com to request for a family room with individual beds as we'd arrive there late. We appreciated that we got the room with individual beds. The room is spacious for 3 or 4 adults. The shower is good with high water pressure - needed for a long day work or travel. Breakfast were good and a detailed info of the ingredients (such as type of oil) was provided too. The receptionist and members of staff were good and attentive.

Comfortable & relaxing lodgings

Not the hotels fault, but they didn't get the booking confirmation from booking.com, so luckily they had a room free when I arrived

Comfortable room in a great location; value add with an amazing breakfast!

Visit to see Daughter.

Had trouble one night no electric apart from the main bedroom light. No plug sockets worked so no kettle or TV. Could do with better curtains.

Very good breakfast cooked to order. Clean overall. Not noise. Parking if needed. Shower hot and lively towels.

If you want to get a good value for money don’t come here.

Cobwebs on ceilings, no electricity in room only the main light worked. TV didn’t work, sockets didn’t work so couldn’t charge my phone, really poor for £75 absolute rip off.

Location is ok

See above

Moving our room twice when my wife was disabled. Not telling us of the restricted parking and my difficulty getting my wife into the hotel then having to search for a place to park, when we said we would be late on Saturday evening. The room we were moved to after the first night had a shower in the bath which we couldn't use.not as good as it could have been with a little bit of thought from the management.

Excellent stay we will be back

We would like to have our hotel savvy dog with us but we do understand their reasons for not allowing them. It is not a decision changer for us.

We use Cedar Lodge whenever we visit our Children & Granddaughter in St Thomas. It is the most convenient hotel for us. The staff are always friendly, the room fresh and clean and a brilliant breakfast.

Enjoyable

Booking.com said breakfast included and five minutes walk to town. Never were correct.

Clean, very quiet, good value breakfast and ok location for city centre.

Pleasant, clean and homely.

A real face to see when I returned at night. As it is only a small hotel there is no bar or restaurant so therefore no one about in the evening. One had to let oneself in at night with a key so it had more of a guest house providing bed and breakfast feel to it.

The breakfasts were fresh and tasty. The dining room was pleasant. My room was quiet, warm and clean. The staff were polite and pleasant and asked regularly if everything was ok.

Its cheap, I slept OK. You get for what you pay for, cheap.

Old, dingy and dirty basic B&B.

Its a really basic dingy B&B that's been made from 2 old houses that's maintained to minimum standard. A premier Inn was only £10 more per night but the location of this B&B is just 4 minutes walk from my friends house when I visit and sadly they don't have a spare room. The bed had a cheap old spring mattress but surprisingly offered a good nights sleep. Parking is poor and tight. The breakfast is average. Tired old TV held on the wall with a wonky block of wood. Below average shower and plumbing debris left in the bathroom. Lighting in the room was terrible. A shame really, it could be spruced up for little money and minimal effort.

Adequate for a short stay

There was no wardrobe, no plug in basin, shower was a trickle, although it was hotter than water for basin. Car parking space was narrow, although there was an option of parking a couple of hundred yards away.

Tea making facilities were good, wifi was adequate. Staff were friendly and accommodating, although we knew most of the area we were in. Clean towels, along with bar of soap and washing sachet were provided. Bed was very comfortable and breakfast was nice and hot.

Over priced contractors accommodation absolute rubbish will not stay here again

Small toilet had to sit sideways to fit in. Shower under the stairs either freezing cold or scalding hot and only trickled out. Towels were wafer thin due Didn't stay for breakfast, just had to get out

Good price ,lovely hot breakfast nice staff good location.
    • Family Room for 4

Could do with putting more tea ,coffee and milk in the rooms ,only had enough for one cup, we bought tea and milk and kept it in the sink in bathroom.

The room was basic but the bed was lovely and comfortable and very clean. Staff were very helpful and nice .

A much more than adequate hotel experience.

There wasn't an indoor pool!!! Seriously for the price this was perfect!

The hotel was spotlessly clean and lovely and warm on a cold night. The staff were very friendly and really went the extra mile to answer my questions about local shopping. The full English breakfast was excellent!

Convenient location but very basic accommodation, we wont be visiting again.
    • Family Room for 4

We stayed in the family room for 4, the mattresses on all three of the beds were horrendous, lumpy, unsupported and extremely uncomfortable with springs jutting out all over the place! The room layout wasn't good, the sound from neighbouring rooms and outside were annoying. The toilet was smelly and the whole place is in dire need of an overhaul and re-decoration.

The breakfast was good however we received different breakfast items to what we ordered. The location was very convenient for walking in to the centre of the city and we were lucky to make use of one of the four parking spaces they have.

I was fine with it.

carpets and beds need attention

This is a cheap, basic, two star hotel, clean enough but tired. Good breakfast, nice staff. Perfectly OK for the money, about 15 mins walk into the city centre, 10 minutes to the Quayside, its located in a down at heal area of victorian housing. It is what it is and I was fine with it.

Good budget stay
    • Family Room for 4

Room was a bit cold and showers were not warm enough On a busy road

Good staff and breakfast Best fit for four people as in one double and two singles I could find

Perfect

I wish we could take our hotel savvy dog instead of kennelling her. Pet Paradise in Clapham 15 min away. Very good.

Cedar Lodge is a budget hotel that we use whenever we go to see relatives. It is good value ,clean and friendly. The breakfast s excellent. We will go there again.

Comfortable and classy accomodation with friendly staff

I had drawn the money out in cash to pay for the hotel but the receptionist had to phone the owner as she thought you had to pay only on a credit card

The bed was so comfortable i loved getting a cooked breakfast every day

Dirty distrusting place

Horrible place should be ashemed to have this on your books will not use site again

Nothing was horrible place never go again drity shame to have this place on your books will not use site again

Good value B&B for one night

The TV in room is very small, the bed a bit lumpy, bathroom a bit small and basic

The breakfast was nice but could have done with some fruit available. One of the cheapest hotels in Exeter

Ok for a short stay
    • Family Room for 4

Bed mattress was very soft or worn out. Our family room was on the ground floor and at the front so when some guests arrived late at night they woke us up because there car headlights lit up entire room as know black out curtains and they kept us awake as no carpets in rooms there was a lot of noise from the room above.

Staff very helpful Not too far from Exeter city center Train station 5-10 minute walk away They allowed us to bring a takeaway back to room even gave us plates and cutlery

I only stayed one night out of two simply didn't like my stay, the toilet in my room had a boiler !

Parking, room, I had to be out 4 work by 7am and breakfast was not till half seven ! They did offer though to do me breakfast for seven fifteen. Also although they did have wifi it was constantly buffering. No room to swing a cat in the toilet and I didn't like having a boiler in the toilet eaither, I just found my stay uncomfortable.

Friendly staff

Great spacious family room which met all our needs well
    • Family Room for 4

It's a great little hotel. If you want super plush and modern then this isn't it as it is a little dated, however it is absolutely fine, spacious, helpful staff, good breakfast.

A small hotel just outside city centre with just a 15 min walk to centre over the River Exe. Parking onsite, family room was spacious - far more so than the premier inn comparison rooms would be at a higher price

Ok
    • Family Room for 4

Bathroom door didn't shut and we were woken by staff footsteps up and down corridor next to room from 7.30 onwards! Had to park on council pay and display away from hotel as there were no spaces available in front No refund on parking either!

Staff were lovely

Fine, nothing more or less than expected.

pretty thin walls so fairly noisey

just a basic independent hotel. could do with a refurbishment, new furniture and beds etc. but i suppose that is why it is pretty cheap compared to other hotels in the area. you get what you pay for.

WE had a fabulous time in Exeter and the accomodation met our needs at the time

There was nothing about the location, hotel or staff that we would need to change. On the website it asked how we wished to pay and we highlighted cash but when we got there a notice stated no cash payments allowed

We liked the location as it was within easy walking distance of the city centre. The bed was comfortable and linen suited our needs. The staff were friendly and gave local information to guide us from hotel to the city centre.

Breakfast good

We probably had the worst room. Top floor room 5. No wardrobe, only 2 foot rail in wall recess, with 3 coat hangers. Wooden drawers stained & not lined. Small bedside table would not open properly -runners were broken. Double room yet only 1 wooden kitchen chair to sit on, & only 1 bedside table. We consider the standard of our double room was very poor for the £75 per night.

Breakfast good

Very helpful staff, stayed longer when we were late for...
    • Family Room for 4

The bedding was very hot, mainly polyester. There was no exhaust fan in the bathroom/toilet.

Very helpful staff, stayed longer when we were late for check-in. All staff were friendly and helpful.

Very nicely located and quiet

lock box is OK but should be supplied a code once you book because if you are on the road and receive info about the lock box it is already to late especially if you can't pick up Wi-fi

Great staff friendly and helpful

No staff there after 8.

No staff there after 8. A rat gnawing behind the plasterboard. Rang the emergency number but was told by the man on the phone that he was "100% certain" the rat couldn't get into the room. No alternative room available and nobody would come till after 7 am in the morning! Exhausted eventually, I slept from 1.30 to 6.30. At 6.40, I heard the animal again. No recompense offered. Obviously I'll never go there again.

Very nice staff and located at city centre.

A bit old but it was not a big deal

The owner (or staff) in the reception was very kind and helpful, she waited us even over her working period, we were so appreciate.

We were going to arrive two hours after the official check...

The parking spaces were quite narrow and other guests were blocking them, therefore we had to use a paid car park (on the positive side, it was not too expensive).

We were going to arrive two hours after the official check in time, so I called in before and was glad to find out that the late check is totally uncomplicated :) Good location - walking to the city centre only took us a few minutes.

Did the job!

It was noisy. My neighbour above decided to wake up or stay awake until 2am talking on the phone and walking around. Actually woke me up.

Easy to find and good parking.

• Reviewed: 23 June 2017

Staff are friendly, and provided good breakfast.
    • Family Room for 4

Car park is a bit narrow and only limited space. The environment are a bit quiet and near city centre, so a bit unsafe to walk after dinner.

Staff are friendly, and provided good breakfast. Location quite near to city centre.

Did the job

I would recommend giving the fan filter in the bathroom a good clean and attaching the mirror to the wall more securely

The younger lady on duty was nice. Breakfast was hearty. The room was quiet

Our stay was ruined by the noise creaking floors and thin walls. Quality of sleep very poor.

The sound proofing of the property was very bad, rooms were noisy, unable to leave windows open due to the sound of traffic. The bathroom shower needs updating. The wash hand basin was to small, combined with the low glass shelf made washing difficult.

The scrambled egg.

Basic accommodation in a quiet area

Room dated, but adequate for the night. Noisy young guests going between rooms at 4am! Rather dark hall/stairway.

Quiet location out of town centre but with places to eat quite nearby. Close to walks along river and bus/train. Good breakfast, cereal/cooked breakfast/toast options.

• Reviewed: 4 June 2017

Very noisy not good value stay far far away !

Not much it was a very poor budget hotel .Was really noisy both night we stay and it seems the staff didn't really care .It felt like it was all about the money . Very impersonal would not recommend this hotel to anyone .

• Reviewed: 4 June 2017

Staff were friendly and helpful.

Felt a little dated. Bathroom a little small.

Staff were friendly and helpful. Good location for city centre without all the city life humdrum and noise.

Another excellent stay at the Cedar Lodge :-)

We always stay at the Cedar Lodge when visiting Exeter as it allows excellent access to everything the city has to offer. You are close to all transport links, making exploring the estuary easy. The staff are friendly and helpful, the rooms comfortable and clean, and the included breakfast is excellent!

Great value stay for discovering Exeter.

Chose to pay cash for the room when booking, but they do not accept cash payments. Parking limited.

Excellent breakfast including decaf tea or coffee if wanted.

Good value, good location

Only stayed the odd night, Close to the town centre and the quay, bus, train, taxis all at hand but easy to access most places by foot. stayed before and would stay again.

Free wifi

Breakfast was meant to be till 10am as we were told when checked in. went down at 9:40 and were told breakfast had finished at 9:30 so we're only allowed toast which was cold

Free wifi

• Reviewed: 19 May 2017

Not a room full of comfort.

Mattress was very uncomfortable could feel the springs. Room was a little dingey.furniture very old. Could do with a make over. Didn't like the fact the staff leave at 8pm and you have an emergency tel number didn't feel safe with this. Terrible draught in my room all the time. Defiantly not worth the money.

Easy to find with the sat nav. Looked smart from the outside.

• Reviewed: 19 May 2017

We use this hotel regularly when visiting relatives.

On site car parking is limited but we have always been lucky. A council carpark is nearby. We would like it if they were pet friendly so that we could bring our hotel savvy dog. That is being picky. We will stay again.

We use this hotel regularly when visiting relatives. It is towards the budget end but the staff are friendly and helpful. The rooms are clean and the bed comfortable. The breakfasts are good. We will stay there again.

Pleasant stay

Location was good.bed was comfortable.it's a little outdated but with such an old building I suppose you expect it.could do with a lighter colour paintand new stair carpets.

• Reviewed: 11 May 2017

No frills B&B, Clean and Comfortable, No complaints.

Limited parking at the property, but a public car park about 2 minutes walk away.

This hotel is very good value for money. My bed was comfortable and the room was spacious and spotlessly clean. Staff were friendly and helpful and breakfast was spot on.

Never again

The lady who was on up to 8pm Tv was minute/no signal lady rectified signal Bulb had gone in the side table lamp lady changed the bulb Asked for ice/no ice Shower was hot then cold so it never got used/no plug for the tiny sink Only 2 plastic coat hangers/lady rectified No nets at the window everyone could see in

Breakfast & the morning staff were loveley

Convenient nice place to visit the town centre.

The toilet is very small. The house is quite old and the sound insulation is virtually absent. Still it was reasonably quiet.

The room we had was cosy and clean. The bed was large and comfortable. Toilet and shower were en-suite but very small and separated, retrofitted but quite functional. The position is great, a short walk from the city centre and still very convenient to reach by car. Very good breakfast and service, also considering we visited it in a bank holiday weekend and it was sold out and very busy.

Good place if you do not care about comfort

a bit "old" equipment of low quality; not very comfortable bed; low water pressure in the shower

Good price; quite quiet place; location near the center and public transport; very helpful and pleasant stuff; free wifi

• Reviewed: 23 March 2017

Just what I needed as an overnight stop before travelling on to Bridport.

Someone to welcome me when I arrived. I found it strange to enter the building by myself, but it was self explanatory with no problems.

Breakfast and comfortable bed.

• Reviewed: 19 March 2017

If you are looking a value for your money and good location this is not your place.

I didn't like the hotel it was falling apart and you could notice the lack of maintenance. In general Old decor.

I only liked the breakfast and it was included on the price.

• Reviewed: 18 March 2017

Good customer service; Great Location and value for money

Wasn't anything I didn't like. Whole place could do with a lick of paint to brighten it up, but that's cosmetic otherwise it's fine.

Good value for money. Staff give great customer service they were friendly and helpful. Nothing too much trouble. Great location to visit Exeter historic city and quay. Room clean, and comfortable.

• Reviewed: 8 March 2017

Ok

The shower did not have enough pressure. Took for ever. The Hotel provides a very small shower gel pack, hardly enough to wash your hands.

Location and comfort

Good value
    • Family Room for 4

The beds were quite comfortable but a bit springy. The decor was a bit old and could do with a spruce up.

Good value and location was close enough to the centre. Nice breakfast, friendly staff and clean.

• Reviewed: 26 February 2017

Great stopover

Nowhere to park though probably because we arrived late.

Hot, cooked breakfast which was great. Staff were very helpful as we arrived late in the evening.

• Reviewed: 15 February 2017

• Family Room for 4

The bed was lumpy, the bedside lamp didn't work, the TV didn't work and there is no staff available during the night, the bathroom door didn't close, there was nowhere to park near the hotel - had to park in public car park down the road and lug all our bags to the hotel by foot. Hotel not located in a particularly nice location although walking distance to town.

The lady who worked in reception and the one that served breakfast were friendly and helpful. The breakfast was good.

• Reviewed: 15 February 2017

Good for a night out downtown

Very limited parking with very narrow spaces in area with permit holder only parkings, so can be a problem. Wrong emergency plans in rooms. Steep and narrow stairs.

Walking distance to downtown Exeter. Good price for the location. Friendly staff and easy access when coming back late. Nice breakfast. Clean facililities

• Reviewed: 13 February 2017

Just ok

Expensive for what we got Heaters were off so the room was so cold (it was 2 degrees outside)

Clean, quite close to city center Breakfast ok Nice staff

• Reviewed: 30 January 2017

Comfortable stay and good value for money

We enjoyed our stay at cedar lodge, which was in a good location to the city centre shops and close to the river. The bed was big and comfortable, and the room a good size with a shower over the bath. The woman working on reception and at breakfast was lovely, and allowed us to leave our bag until later in the day after we had checked out. Overall good value for money as it included breakfast and didn't take long to walk into town.

• Reviewed: 10 January 2017

I stayed here on an overnight trip. The staff were very helpful, bed comfy, room warm in winter.

View out of bedroom although it didn't actually bother me that much, as I was only there overnight. I needed some drinking water and it would have been good to have some, although I didn't ask for any and they probably would have helped, if I'd asked.

It was easy to park - directly outside the hotel. Both staff that I met were very friendly and helpful. Lovely, warm room. Breakfast.

• Reviewed: 12 December 2016

Friendly and helpful staff making the most of what there is.

Bedding not adequate: the mattress was lumpy and the duvet too thin, no extra bedding available. The shower didn't work properly, either boiling hot or too cold.

Very friendly staff, parking was ok. Good location and room was quiet.

• Reviewed: 28 November 2016

Emergency Trip to Exeter.

No Shaver point in the bathroom. Otherwise sufficiently provided for. Shower quite good once you got the hang of it - otherwise could get a cold shock!

Pleasant & helpful Staff Breakfast very good. Cereals, Fruit Juice, Full English, Toast and Marmalade/Jams. What more could you wish for? Reasonable time for Breakfast served until 9.30am

• Reviewed: 7 November 2016

Friendly and basic

The ensure facilities were not adequate. Shower alternated between cold and boiling without a dial being touched. The loo was tiny with no room for my mum to move.

The staff when we checked in were so helpful and considerate. Extra bedding was happily offered to keep us warm.

• Reviewed: 4 November 2016

Ordinary but not awful

Small, no lift, staff OK but not friendly. Very small room, no shelving. Tiny bathroom. Tiny TV. Lots of scaffolding outside. Not pleasing to the eye. Ordinary. No fan. No air con. No extra linen.

It was convenient. Free wifi. Breakfast was OK. Bed good.

Browse Cedar Lodge Hotel traveller photo gallery