Reviews of Old Posting House 4 stars

Deanscales, Cockermouth, CA13 0SL, United Kingdom

#5 of 7 B&Bs and Inns in Cockermouth

Would stay again

Bathroom was slightly small but the size of the room was good

Great place! Would definitely go again. Dog friendly. Nice and clean. Food portions are huge :)

Was nice, quiet and clean. Done the job we needed it too.

Don't really think it's worth £90 per night but think this is due to the location with Cockermouth being touristy so the rates are higher. Wasn't all that impressed with the breakfast: 1 egg, 1 sausage, 1 slice of bacon, beans and toast. Piles of mushrooms, black pudding and tomatoes which was wasted.

Decor was lovely, staff were friendly enough, was clean and tidy.

Very welcoming traditional coach house handy for exploring the Cumbrian Mountains.

Sunday morning breakfast was strictly 8am to 9am and one couple were turned away at ten past nine which seemed overly strict on a Sunday morning. The bedroom window had vertical blinds which were quite noisy overnight - it was very warm and we had intended to leave the windows open but had to close them because of the blinds banging together. Curtains would have been more practical.

Very welcoming hosts. We arrived mid afternoon and my partner had missed lunch so they prepared some soup and a roll which was welcome. Good dinner menu with solid home cooked food. Breakfast on Sunday morning was narrow range but cooked breakfast perfectly served.

good hosts lovely breakfasts

when I was there they had started some work outside the do with water supply .once again it would of nice to have semi milk as well full fat

big breakfast and choice of what you could have it was simply lay out in the bar .so you could have cereal and juice .the rooms were nice and clean and tidy but no were to put you in buy the bed had draws underneath and good outlook from the window of countryside.

Go for it . You won't be disappointed!!!

Very noisy road but made worse by having to keep the windows open as no air conditioning or fan and it was blazing hot whilst we were there!!

Everything else was perfect!!!

Great location, very good facilities.

The only thing I'd find fault with is that the window blinds were very lightweight and let in so much light that I was awake at the crack of dawn. Blackout blinds or curtains would make the room perfect.

Very handy location (i.e. five minutes from Woolfest) in quiet and beautiful countryside, with the added bonus of an ample car park. The staff were friendly, the food very good and the room and bathroom were spacious and comfortable. I really enjoyed my night's stay.

Ideal base for the Lake District

Not much to not like, however if you want a selection of pubs or eating places, you have about 4 miles to get to Cockermouth.

This has been recently refurbished and is an excellent place to stay. Very clean and they serve very nice meals.

First class and welcoming accommodation

Absolutely nothing

Excellent staff. Room perfect. Evening meal well worth a visit. Breakfast first class. Great full English . Finally cracking pint of beer. Would highly recommend to anyone visiting Lake district or breaking their journey.

Proper country inn with excellent rooms and food.

Proper country inn with excellent rooms and food. Landlord and staff very helpful and friendly. Really enjoyed my night there and the breakfast kept me going all day.

The staff were very welcoming and helpful, spacious...

There was nothing to dislike here.

The staff were very welcoming and helpful, spacious comfortable room, well kept bar, great choice on the menu and everything that came out of the kitchen looked great. Breakfast was one of the best I have had (and I do a lot of travelling) set me up for the day. I will stay here again

I travelled with my pet Dog Cocker Spaniel , they located...

I travelled with my pet Dog Cocker Spaniel , they located the room on the ground floor with outside access incase the dog needed to go out. Very helpfull and friendly and food was very good. I took dog out on coast and round one of the local lakes , both about 10 - 15 min nice drives away. I would return as its very peaceful and nice !

All very good.

All very good. Friendly, helpful, warm and clean. Good beer and wine and lovely meals, evening and breakfast. Would visit again. Excellent for a quiet break to explore the north west lake district and coast.

A very enjoyable and cosy stay on a chilly weekend.

It's a small point, but a breakfast buffet with cereal, yogurt etc would be a good idea. That said the cooked breakfast was first class.

Pretty much everything, the hosts and staff were very friendly and obliging.

The Old Posting House is a fantastic place to stay in the...

The Old Posting House is a fantastic place to stay in the Lakes District Only about 45 minutes to Windemere The rooms have all the items you require clean fresh and colourful Food is great and the beer in cold Staff are very welcoming and friendly We left early so missed breakfast but there is tea , coffee and biscuits in the room

The bed was very comfy.

The bed was very comfy. The room was clean. The bathroom was modern and clean with a good shower. Owners were very friendly. Excellent cooked breakfast.

Extremely satisfied, will be back when next in the area.

Nothing, it was all great.

Comfortable and clean with really great food and excellent hosts, definitely recommend. Great value for both business and leisure stays in the area.

The property is an old Inn with 4 rooms with en-suite...

The property is an old Inn with 4 rooms with en-suite bathrooms. The owners Terry and Nicola are very friendly and make you feel very welcome, they have only been open a matter of weeks and are doing a great job. Pets are welcome. Breakfast was really really good as was dinner, portions on the generous cumbrian side. Nice atmosphere in the bar area.

The new owners had only been there for less than a week and...

The bathroom was a bit dark but this might be changed once the new owners start work on the rooms!

The new owners had only been there for less than a week and they were busy with renovations etc - they had warned us by email that things might be noisy etc but when we still turned up they made time to be friendly and helpful and the food we had (although from a temporary reduced menu) was very good

Very comfortable, quiet room.

The "comfortable" chair was not! - I am a bath person, not shower. Beer a bit expensive

VERY friendly/welcoming owners, who made me feel at home straight away especially as I was on my own. Felt comfortable having a pint in the bar with a friendly local. Nice touch with biscuits and sweets in the room. Although there were other residents I did not hear banging doors etc. Very good breakfast

New owners off to a great start

Felt the food was too generous, if that is a fault!? My trout was a bit over cooked but that was all.

Clean, friendly and helpful, our dog felt quite at home. Couldn't have wanted more on our brief stay. Would definitely go again if passing that way.

Comfortable, relaxing, clean.

We hadn't realized it was three miles outside Cockermouth - our error. The bar/restaurant could do with brightening up a bit.

The room was big and very clean, with a good country view of a field of sheep! It was also nice and quiet. The landlord was friendly and helpful.

Comfortable accommodation and all the food you can eat!

Nothing really to dislike. It's in a quiet part of Deanscales, so very peaceful after a long day out.

Mick and his staff were very pleasant and couldn't do enough for you. Food was excellent as was the housekeeping. Room and bathroom fitted to a high standard and large rooms.

Dog friendly at the moment, but changing hands in couple of weeks.

Not keen on the location, though might have been better if weather better. Food at breakfast and evening meal in the Bar was a bit of quantity over quality, which is a shame because they obviously don't like people to go away hungry. The owner tried very hard, but the place didn't fit it's rating for us. We found out on our last morning that it was being taken over by new owners in a couple of weeks as owner is retiring. I hope they improve the place as it could be great.

Made welcome when we arrived and property was dog friendly. Room was very large, if a bit basic though beds were very comfortable. It was a good base if you didn't mind driving out each day.

Expensive compared to other recent pubs/inns stayed at.

Proprietor had strange views he should have kept to himself. Breakfast was average. Outside of property needed a good deal of TLC.

Bed was comfy, view was good

Large room, nice breakfast, comfy bed

I got told to either leave my dogs in the room or the car at breakfast time. I felt this was a little unfair if you're a dog friendly b&b then they should be allowed anywhere with you. I've stayed at dog friendly places before and never come across no dogs at meal times. My 2 dogs are very well behaved and they would of just lay down until we had finished.

Large room, nice breakfast, comfy bed

Very enjoyable Mick brilliant made us very welcome - he was like Peter Kay!!!

Bookings.com with the booking I booked 2 double rooms for 2 couples even entered the names on the booking however when we arrived the landlord said he had 2 people booked in one in each room?? I immediately contacted bookings.com and was told I hadn't put the quantity per room (even though 2 names listed for each room) having used bookings.com previously many times I have also booked a double room without a quantity and myself and my husband never had any problems at checking - it was extremely embarrassing for the landlord to have to explain we needed to pay extra - he also commented that this had happened on quite a number of occasions in the past - also the fact that the call centre for bookings.com was based in Massachusetts United States didn't ease my annoyance and the staff member was quite abrupt!!! Don't think will be using bookings.com in the future 😤😤

The landlord Mick very humerous made the stay special and even took us into town rather than us having to get a taxi on Saturday night - rooms newly refurbished and very comfortable - breakfast loads of choice and the meals in the bar on an evening were very nice also the outside does not reflect the inside - modern bedrooms but very old English downstairs with lots of Teapots

Great travelling experience

If you are looking for something in a village, close to other shops, cafe etc then this is not for you.

Had a really great time here. The atmosphere in the bar and restaurant is great, plenty of banter with the host, Mick and other guests. The food is simple pub food but all good. Really enjoyed our stay here

• Reviewed: 4 June 2017

Good old fashioned hospitality

nothing to dislike

Great pub for a stopover.. Bit quirky and fun with all the tea pots..plenty of food, plenty to drink, plenty of hospitality! well done Mick

Stay over

We ate at the Old posting House which had a very varied menu good pub grub but you need a big appetite to finish your meal. A very friendly host breakfast was again very well cooked and presented.

My third stay which says it all!

A little road noise.

My third stay, which says it all really. Home from home place to stay when visiting family in the Western Lakes due to the excellent location, approximately half an hour drive to Whitehaven. Mick is a wonderful host and always welcoming, what ever time we pitch up. Great food evening and breakfast, local ingredients and very tasty. Free Wi-Fi, large airy rooms with plenty of tea/coffee/biscuits. Very comfortable bed and fantastic shower. I would feel happy and safe to stay there as a single woman traveller.

• Reviewed: 7 May 2017

I cannot wait to return

The room was excellent with all the facilities and extras you could want. The evening meal was gargantuan and for someone with a good appetite was perfect. N Breakfast was equally good and plentiful

Right from entering the property I was made to feel welcome by Mike the owner being a Yorkshireman of course helped haha

A warm welcome very helpful staff good food lovely room very...

A warm welcome very helpful staff good food lovely room very clean. Ideal quite Base for holiday would definitely stay again. Full praise to the owner Mick

Fab food, very welcoming!

Booked a twin room but was given a double and no option to change. Not sure how this happened when we booked so far in advance? Room was extremely hot but could not open the windows because of the traffic noise, so the night was a bit uncomfortable.

Room was spacious and clean and the host was very friendly and welcoming. We ate here in the evening and the food was just beautiful, as was breakfast the next day. Plenty of space to exercise the dog, and ample parking which was a good bonus.

• Reviewed: 27 April 2017

Had to pay twice, barely worth paying once!

Booked this hotel and had money taken from my account by a third party called Eviivo. i.e., I paid. Stayed at the hotel which is average at best and before I was able to leave was made to pay AGAIN by card by the owner, who became rude and obnoxious at this point. ( we were in a hurry to leave as had places to be) He told us the Eviivo payment would be returned to our account the next day, so for 24 hours we had to essentially pay twice. In the event the money was not returned for almost a week until I had contacted Eviivo (which can't be done over the phone!) and asked for the money to be returned. Utterly gobsmacked that anyone thinks this is a good way to conduct business and furious that I've been left out of pocket to the tune of £90 until I chased it up myself. Ridiculous, rude and ludicrous way to go about things. Won't be going back or to any hotel that uses this pathetic eviivo system.

An enjoyable weekend stay

Personally there wasn't anything we didn't like

Myself and my partner Denise really enjoyed our stay. The room was nice and clean with refreshments on hand when we arrived. The food was a delight especially the lamb. All in all a very nice stay and would definitely stay again

Perfect stay - would love to stay here again!

It's a bit in the middle of nowhere, and you definitely need a car to get there, although that wasn't a problem in our case.

Everything was amazing. The host was very welcoming, friendly and accomodating. The pub is one of my favorite pubs ever and is beyond charming. The bed was super comfy and the bathroom was great too. I couldn't fault anything and would happily stay here again!

Pleasant location near to the A 66 and towns.

More varied breakfast menu.other than full English .Also choice of fruit juices , fresh fruits.

Very large bedroom and super shower . Good sized portions on evening menu

• Reviewed: 16 April 2017

Warm and friendly place. Great food and hospitality

Most friendly Owner who takes pleasure in making sure you have everything you need. Our packed lunch for our day on the fells was well thought out and we were offered plenty of choice

• Reviewed: 17 March 2017

Very good quality B&B

Not much life about the pub other than people staying dining. But good beer, and generous portions.

Friendly and welcoming, the landlord noticed me arrive and park before the pub opened, he came out and checked me in.

• Reviewed: 15 March 2017

Convenient overnight stay

Very hot and stuffy upstairs, and bar area very 'busy' with decorations etc.

Comfortable and welcoming, with good beer and large food portions (If anything too large!), friendly owner/host.

Excellent place to stay

Absolutely nothing. Wished we could have stayed longer!

A wonderful place to stay. The host was very friendly and genuine. The hotel was beautifully kept, our bedroom was stunning and roomy, the shower in the en-suite was to die for. The food in the restaurant was incredible. Real home cooked food. We came on a recommendation and we were not disappointed. We will definitely be back.

• Reviewed: 29 January 2017

Teapots & Ewes!

The scarf etc. behind the bar. (Ha ha, sorry Mick) There really wasn't anything to dislike.

Mick was an excellent host. He was very welcoming & the food, both breakfast & we also stayed for an evening meal were top notch. I'd recommend the Steak Pie. Breakfast was well cooked & the food was of a high quality. Opened our curtains to a field full of sheep. Large, powerful shower in a spacious bathroom. It was a gem of a B&B & we will stay there again.

• Reviewed: 27 January 2017

Excellent VALUE for money

Excellent location, rooms very clean and warm. Staff were first class & food was lovely, will definitely visit again. Nothing was a problem... Thank you for a great stay.

• Reviewed: 19 January 2017

First time stay at the old posting house , excellent

There was nothing we did not like

We liked everything about the place and the people . Mick the landlord gave us a warm welcome , rooms were nice , food and drink very good

• Reviewed: 30 December 2016

nice comfy place to stay with good food and very friendly host.

Everything was ok.

Very friendly host , good food and drinks. Good location for travelling to the lakes. Rooms at the back of the property are away from the road and more quiet.

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

Absolutely excellent! Food was out of this world, amazing! Nothing was too much trouble, room very comfortable and clean. Thank you Mick for a lovely stay.

• Reviewed: 25 October 2016

Comfortable and value for money.

Comfortable establishment and attentative host. We ate in the restaurant both nights and the portions were more than ample and value for money. We certainly didn't need a starter! We had two clear nights and with no light pollution in the area I have never experienced so many stars with the naked eye. Fabulous!

The reception we received was poor, including the owner shouting out of the window to see if we had a reservation. No one greeted us as we came in and we had to wander into the pub looking for staff. Poor communication overall. No information was volunteered about breakfast times until we asked. Breakfast was not great with very hard grey bacon and the sound of a microwave pinging doesn't inspire confidence. Again no information was given about the breakfast options. Although the listing on the site claims there is a restaurant, food wasn't served until 6pm and it was too late for us as we were going out. Prices displayed on a board in the bar were expensive. Be aware this is not very near Cockermouth.

The rooms were clean and beds were comfortable. The bathrooms looked as if they had been recently decorated. There was free wi-fi and basic tea and coffee facilities in the room and a hair dryer. There is ample free parking.

• Reviewed: 4 October 2016

Teapots, man. Teapots

nowt. absolutely great for what it is, where it is.

Spacious room, very clean, beautifully presented, well equipped. no-nonsense shower, hot and powerful. Friendly landlord. Good value for money all round - would recommend.

• Reviewed: 1 October 2016

The proprietor was friendly and helpful, the room very...

We didn't know that the pub was closed on Mondays mid-day and so found it closed when we arrived. A worker nearby contacted the proprietor to tell him we were waiting outside. A bad start but afterwards everything was excellent.

The proprietor was friendly and helpful, the room very comfortable, we appreciated the full English breakfast and the food in general. We admired the hundreds of teapots displayed in the pub/cafe.

• Reviewed: 19 September 2016

Comfortable room.

We didn't like the fact that dogs were allowed in the dining room during meals. The breakfasts were disappointing.

The room was very comfortable.

• Reviewed: 2 September 2016

A well maintained historical Inn with a lovely host and tasty food

Breakfast is a bit early (till 8:30) but I guess most walkers and hikers leave quite early.

An accommodating host, comfortable room, tasty homely food.

• Reviewed: 1 September 2016

a shining diamond in the rough

Nothing to dislike

Everything..this was one of the best places we have stayed. Mick our host was wonderful made us feel right at home..food was amazing..and and character and uniqueness of this place fantastic

• Reviewed: 1 September 2016

OK

Room was a little cramped and right next to main road. I had to move bedside cabinet to shut the door.

Owner friendly enough and reasonable menu. Overall OK but perhaps expected more based on the 9.2 rating which I found misleading

• Reviewed: 30 August 2016

Very unwelcoming! Make sure you ask what time breakfast is because no one is going to tell you there

The owner/manager could have been friendly and welcoming. The timings of breakfast were not given verbally and there was nothing in the bedroom to tell you.

The bed was comfortable and it was a decent size room.

Clean bright bedroom.

Rubber sheet on matress

Clean bright bedroom. Good food

A good location to travel in West Cumbria and to meet old friends who live in the area.

Position of towel rail in relation to shower in bathroom

Large comfortable room

Wonderful place,lovely food just what we wanted👌

Wonderful place,lovely food just what we wanted👌

Excellent room, very big and clean

Excellent room, very big and clean

Location and peaceful

Location and peaceful

Comfortable but some traffic noise

Comfy bed, excellent food

Weekend at The old postibg house

Bit far from other amenities

Quiet location. Quirky building

It was spotlessly clean, comfortable.

It was spotlessly clean, comfortable. Friendly staff and evening meal was excellent. Fantastic breakfast. Would definitely recommend.

Not bad we will see about staying again next year

No curtain to bathroom window and traffic noise

Good location, near to the woolfest

Good food, good beer andca lovely room.

Good food, good beer andca lovely room.

The room was spotless and the bed was very comfortable.

The room was spotless and the bed was very comfortable. Food was excellent.

Very nice stay and sparkling clean place

The connection of Wifi can be improve in the rooms

Sparkling clean!!!

Great stay, would definitely recommend it.

Breakfast was excellent, staff friendly and allowed me to check in early to get to a wedding on time!

Could not fault excellent

Could not fault excellent

Very pleasant stay.

Large clean and very tidy twin room. Large shower, nice view with plenty of seating. Good.

Well worth a visit

Good breakfast friendly staff clean rooms

Enjoyable would stay again and recommend to friends

beside a busy road so a bit noisy

good food, lovely owners and lovely spacious room

Faultless. Not a single issue or problem. Fabulous stay.

Absolutely nothing our stay was faultless.

Very homely relaxed comfortake. Perfect for the lake district.

Visit this area on Business regularly, so glad I found the OPH, much better than the Hotel chains!

Proper UK PUB. Good Ale, Good Food, Excellent reception. Full breakfast served with a smile at the ridiculously early time of 6.45AM!

Nice little place

Kind and caring staff, nice little bar and restaurant, food was really nice, best shepherds pie I've ever had.