Reviews of Orsett Hall 4 stars

Prince Charles Avenue, Orsett, RM16 3HS, United Kingdom

#1 of 1 hotels in Orsett

We had our wedding at Orsett Hall, and we stayed here a couple of nights after, 1 night in the Whelan Suite and the other in the blue room- we loved it!!! Spacious, clean and beautiful!!! The facilities are great too! TV has channels I can watch, air con works fine, a lovely bath tub!

The shower was over the bath - very high and I'm quite short. Breakfast is sometimes self service which isn't as nice as table service when the food is cooked to order. The Cafe Sartorni(?) is a bit of a trek from reception.

Lovely venue, room very nice. Breakfast is good. Staff are very friendly.

The Wi-Fi struggled to get a signal in my room and I would have preferred more choice with the pillows.

Excellent cooked breakfast- very tasty and quick service.

When I booked the room I based my choice on the 4-star rating, pictures of the Hotel and reviews. I was on business and needed an early night and start the following day, so requested a quite room. When I arrived at the HOTEL, it was lovely, unfortunately the room I was given was not in the HOTEL but in the Café Sartoria which is a Bar that offers food + Sauna It was a ground floor room with Car park behind it. I could hear the noise from the Bar until after 11.30 pm and noise from people walking around and moving things on the floor above (i presume Sauna or Gym) until after 2.30am. Basically I was shown a 4 star impressive looking hotel and given a room in a noisy pub near the Hotel. Not very impressed, In my opinion it should clearly state if the room you are buying is not going to be in the Hotel shown, very misleading. Be careful when you book to find out if your room will actually be in the Hotel.

Lovely Building and surroundings Friendly and proficient staff Room pleasant with good amenities Unfortunately this did not overcome what I did not like !

• Single Lodge

The warren room 35 is in the car park and the noise is dreadful, also there is only blinds, no curtains so the car lights of a night time just constantly shine in and keep you awake. Deliveries start from 5am in the morning so dont expect to sleep

Good choice at Breakfast, scrambled eggs did look like tripe!

• Executive Family Double Room

I have a neck complaint and the huge bathroom mirror is on the sloping wall of the rooms in the of area of the roof and made it almost impossible to shave 😫

The room furniture is in need of repair and or replacement. The chair provided is not comfortable.Too much plumbing noises in the bathroom from other areas. If you are on business and have a need to use your mobile phone and or laptop to conduct confidential work, then do not book this hotel, unless you are happy to only get the internet in public areas.

The bed was comfortable, I was in room 7

Overall, staff were unfriendly and unapproachable. This was noticed as soon as we arrived at reception, the lady who checked us in came across as rude and abrupt. The morale of the staff seems low overall. Overall unprofessional and untrained is how they came across -there to earn some pocket money on the weekends. Breakfast buffet selection was very poor. No wardrobe in our bedroom. Wasn’t allowed to use the spa facilities after 9am on the day of check out as they were short staffed 7-9am was the window-which I wasn’t informed of on check in, so I never actually got to use the pool etc. Early check out time of 11am-too early for me, should be midday.

The hotel itself and the grounds are lovely! Good location. Good parking facilities. The bedroom was clean and spacious, nicely decorated too.

No phone signal unless you went outside! Not great if it's raining!

The grounds are beautiful even had rabbits to great you when you wake up. The room was lovely apart from being quite hot and the air conditioning didn't seem to do much, we did report it but nothing happened. Restaurant is nice and staff great, if not a little pricey.

• Executive Family Double Room

All was good until checking out. The obviously ignorant racist receptionist looked past me(black) standing right in front of her to invite my white husband who was standing on the side. Needless to say I stepped aside, feeling humiliated and would never recommend the hotel to any of my non-white family and friends

Very beautiful place.

• Single Lodge

Room small but ok for one night but not at the price I paid. No shelf space in the bathroom, telly reception was poor (it was royal wedding day). In a lodge so had to keep blinds shut for privacy as by reception. Unfortunately, every body waited outside my room after the event to get cabs home, so not much sleep had.

Bed was comfy, room small but ok for one night. Grounds are beautiful. Building beautifully decorated.

Not able to open windows and room was much too hot - I did tell reception who lowered temperature but still too hot for me to sleep Also walls between rooms very thin - next door had a room party till 2am and then it all started again at 6am - I know that can’t be helped but obviously very little noise insulation in hotel so had dreadful night

Hotel is lovely

I couldn't adjust the heating in my room (looked very complicated) but this may be a reflection of me!!

Very stylish, clean and comfortable room. The location is stunning and staff are friendly and helpful.

• Single Lodge

I got the bus and had to walk along an A road with no pavement - directions would have been useful if there's another route I could have taken.

The room was great - it was away from the main building so was nice and quiet. The bed was very comfortable, and the room and the bathroom were both very clean and tidy.

We booked to stay in the hotel, not the spa, but we ended up in a room above the coffee shop and spa. Room far to hot, low ceiling height, poor lighting positions. Very poor value for an inferior room. Use of pool limited to after 6 pm for hotel guests because it doesn’t belong to the hotel, so why were we put in a room above it?

Friendly staff, good food

A bit out of the way, only stayed here as we were attending a wedding. Spa times are not very convenient so didn't get the chance to use them.

Very good sized room and bathroom and very spacious outdoors. Good breakfast.

Bathroom mirror hard to shave with as set back, a shaving mirror would be good. Room around the back and separate from the hotel, neither a good or bad thing depending on your view point. Breakfast was the biggest disappointment, for a hotel that promotes their chef. I didn't complain but in hindsight sound have asked for different bacon as the couple beside me did when they received theirs and it was much better, lesson learnt. Food appeared as left under a heat lamp too long and dried out. Bacon like cardboard, couldn't cut it, sausages afraid were bland and beans dry. Over all a poor experience. But would not stop me staying at the hotel as the room was very clean and tidy with a comfortable bed and good shower pressure.

Room clean and well appointed. Good bathroom facilties

My family and I found that despite the amount of money we had spent with Orset hall and the number of rooms we had booked, they severely lacked customer service, showed no appreciation to us for booking the venue and spending so much money with them, and to put it simply; we felt that they were happy to just take our money and that was it. An example was when I was checking into my room, I had asked for an iron and board. Once settling into our room and waiting over 1/2 an hour, we called reception and requested again and told them we have limited time as we had to get ready for the reception which was now an hour away. We then waited another 20 mins until eventually my partner went downstairs and asked again and brought it up herself. Then when checking out, we had 2 elderly family members that are not very mobile staying in one of the rooms. I requested that they allow them an extra 1/2 an hour to an hour to check out to which they said no and told us they can give 15 mins or they will charge us a late check out fee.

We had booked orset as the venue for my sisters wedding and reception. The wedding and reception was a fantastic occasion and the setting, scenery and venue size was perfect for the occasion.

No water in room, just one type of tea available. Peppermint tea provided on request but had to buy large bottle of water at £3.90. Breakfast - buffet cooked breakfast good but no other cooked option available. For a 4 star hotel you would expect a couple of choices and a better selection all round. Coffee and tea not served to table, you had to get it out of a flask. Couldn't work air conditioning, difficult to understand. The bar in the side the wardrobe should be horizontal so you can see what you've hung up. It was positioned front to back making it difficult to see the clothes easily.

Parking location right by room. (Our room was situated away from the main hotel.) Room size good, shower worked well. Nice lunch in Sartoria bar.

The room was very average more like a premier inn you get the impression this hotel is just about one night wedding guest stays, which is also shown in the over priced room only amount .

We was just there for a wedding the grounds were beautiful the toilets clean the bar staff helpful The food catering was good

The quilt cover was tatty around the edges. We only had towels in our room for 1 and not 2 on the first day. The greeting at reception upon check in was with a smile and very matter of fact. If you order breakfast as room service, you have to have the breakfast no later than 7,45am .

The double aspect windows in room. The power shower.

• Single Lodge

1. No hot water in room 2. I was putting in a small single room in a small annex in the car park area with cars starting up an property shouting late at night 3. Cars and deliveries were noisy from 6 am 4. I asked for a quite room on Booking.com Avoid

Rural

• Single Lodge

Shower tap was extremely stiff, but I informed reception in the morning and they said they would let the maintenance team know as soon as possible. For the room I had, I thought it was a bit pricey though.

I was in The Den, half of a small building separated into 2 en-suite rooms. Nice, little room. Quiet and had a good nights sleep. I ate in the bar rather than the hotel restaurant and service was top notch!

• Suite

Room was very dusty - mirrors not clean. Toilet Flush was broken and did not work all of the time 1 Window was broken - big label said "do not open" Breakfast and breakfast service poor Directions to room not signposted

Bed was comfy and room was spacious. Service and food at the ultra 90's event was good

Breakfast buffet very poor. Staff very unfriendly and argumentative . WiFi didn’t work. No phone coverage and therefore charged £3.50 for a local call. Reception staff unfriendly and officious- same trend in dining room. Sharp knock on door at 10.55am by housekeeping - even though check out 11.

Eggs very nicely cooked

We only stayed overnight, but could not fault anything.

Everything, from the staff , to the facilities, lift access to the floors above , and the food was excellent.

• Single Lodge

Single room in annex - did not like being placed outside the hotel - would like to have been informed of this at time of booking. Also, breakfast starting at 7am is quite late for business travellers, especially as hot food is then ordered and there was a 15-10min wait. Was also double charged, as reception insisted that I had not paid through booking.com, even though I had.

Some of the staff in the brasserie were really rude (an older woman). Wish we could have better hours in the spa.

It was overall a really great experience and the lady in the cafe was super charming. My massage was amazing, too.

Noisy rooms - you can hear the music from other functions on at night. Food and service was ok. Having said that we would come back.

Grand historic building rebuilt with all the modern comforts. Most of the services (such as florists and hairdresser etc) were available on site so it was easy and convenient to organise everything.

Hotel very noisy late at night with the function. Our room overlooked the bins and was noisy late at night with bottles being put in the bins.

Restaurant food and service very good.

The carpet in the room was dirty, the bed not at all comfy, there was a toilet brush in the bathroom omg - it was disgusting -

The breakfast was lovely, the shower was great.................

• Suite

Spa times and was not happy that you could not wear your robe around the hotel as you had to keep changing and did not make it feel like a spa experience

First impression from the reception staff wasn’t great - walked through the doors to see one member of staff rolling her eyes having dealt with the customer before me.

Friendly staff in Cafe Sartorial and throughout the hotel, with the exception of reception at time of check in. Spotlessly clean and very comfortable.

To start with the room was very small. Not that that’s a problem for a room for 2 people but it was also very basic and didn’t consist of any fridge, hangers ect which was an unconvince. The amount we paid for a double room was excessive. I don’t mind paying a more extensive premium if you get your value for money. Unfortunately this was not value for money and we lost certinatly can get better value elsewhere.

The lounge area and design of the hotel is great. Unfortunately in my opinion there was more negative aspects to the hotel than positive.

The hotel forgot our Ventine's reservation in their hotel, but managed to find us a table anyway. Waitress was hopelessly inexperienced, but we enjoyed the meal, anyway.

Nice grounds.

Lady on Sartori bar in the evening seemed rushed off her feet (and unhappy about it). Think she needs something more sedate. Breakfast: smoked salmon not enjoyable. Scrambled eggs were without taste.

Good sized room.

• Single Lodge

Upon arrival I was informed there was 2 weedings and an Amazon event taking place. So I knew it might get a little noisy, which is fine. The receptionist said I would be better off in the lodge I was staying in as it would be quieter. How wrong she was. From 10.30pm until 1.30am approx the noise was terrible. The lodge couldn’t have been in a worse place. In the morning I explained this to reception and how it disturbed my stay and my sleep. Her reply was “sorry about that”. You should have rang the night team and they would have asked people to be quieter. I would have if this was explained upon check in. If anyone is staying here if a weekend I’d ask the question of what events are taking place and if your room will be affected accordingly.

The room was fine and room service was very quick

We requested a twin room specifically before we stayed and was given a double room and was told the headboards moved (as beds were made as double beds not twins as per request) the headboards didn't in fact move. The housekeeping staff knocked 3 times and tried to sort this out and change our room but we wanted a quiet room so stayed where we were. we moved the beds ourselves and my friend didn't have a headboard to lean on. Also we asked for a quiet room, we were told as we were on 2nd floor it would be fine. The music from the wedding going on was really noisy and then we had kids screaming in the room next to us, the walls are paper thin (plasterboard) which I wouldn't expect for a hotel of this size and reputation. You can expect some noise from a venue if a wedding going on but it is not soundproofed very well at all. I was also charged twice for the room upon check out and am now having to sort this out. not impressed by service. Also cannot believe for £129 a night no breakfast was included in this price.

the room was nice and the facilities were good.

Going through cafe to get to 1st floor bedroom in new block. Automatic doors to cafe did not work properly. Sloping ceiling in bedroom (in new block), gave a slightly claustrophobic feeling to the room.

Very friendly staff. Clean modern bedrooms. Lovely grounds. Excellent food.

• Single Lodge

An easy chair in the room would be good addition. The table and chair were broken - not good.

The bed was extra comfy and the cafe extra good for a wide range of food including gluten free.

The only give you one hot chocolate sache per room but it's easily rectifiable if you ask reception for more.

We stayed from Christmas Eve until Boxing Day and the beautiful decor throughout the hotel made us feel very festival. Our room was beautiful and very cosy, was just perfect for my partner and I. The bathroom was very spacious and the tub was big enough for two which was lovely. The hot chocolate in the room was so lovely we asked for more and received lots more! The breakfast in the morning was also wonderful, not greasy at all and tasted lovely. The gardens were lovely to have a nice walk through and despite lots of guests arriving for Christmas lunch there was hardly any noise from our room at all. I wonderful place to stay and we look forward to returning.

Surprised to hear from my 83 year old aunt (who walks with a stick and was staying for two nights alone and is very independent) that she was struggling to serve herself a cooked breakfast and take it to her table. Not a single waitress came over to offer to help. But I realise it was probably one of your busiest mornings (Boxing Day) of the year and the staff could have been temporary.

The layout and design of the place.

Communal areas are looking a little tired in places. Room was nice but a mini bar/fridge would be a good addition.

Lovely evening meal and really good value. Great breakfast too.

• Single Lodge

i booked my room i think 2 weeks before the night and was told someone would call me back as i was given a single lodge. i had phoned back twice only to be told someone would ring me but had not got a phone call. when i rang on the day as i worked late that week, i was then informed how and where the room is like. got no apology. i and come for my works christmas party and was very disappointed with the mains and the dessert and my mains was cold and the dessert was not what i had ordered.

• Executive Family Double Room

Had a upgrade on the room to suite, although large and modern just did not like the decor and large bed in the middle of the room felt out of place, desk was there but no chair for the desk not good for computer work. Drains smelt from the shower. Food very average and basic not cheap either, scallops good, fillet steak good overall presentation poor Bearnise sauce terrible

Booking in was good, service good but not excellent. View through bedroom window excellent. Gardens immaculate, Spa coffee shop great

I couldn't stay longer as only there for work, would love to make use of the facilities

Staff lovely and gorgeous setting, the food was great and location was 10 mins away from meeting

Wouldn't accommodate the car whilst on a cruise but a third party company would allow parking at their site - bizarre. Perhaps they don't want the business. Would have stayed another night when collecting car, so they lost out on that.

Pleasant surroundings

Beautiful room, large and gorgeous design. Comfy bed. hotel very nice and large with underground facilities and corridors. Staff very friendly. Pool etc free at certain times for guests and the kukana spa was very very nice.

A wee bit disappointed they cleared breakfast so quickly - having partied hard, we didn't arrive to breakfast until 9.45am , and jams, patisseries and hot water for tea had been cleared away by 10.15. However when we asked, they did bring them for us.

Nice cosy comfy room with enough space. Pretty grounds, very peaceful. Great location for a party - we were in the Jaguar room. The food the caterers provided was 1st class, and the Jaguar room well appointed with bar, low lights, mirrored ceiling which gave it a disco feel, and a comfy ante room if you needed a sit down!

The bedrooms in the hotel extension only have sky-light windows so no landscape views as outlined in description

Beautifully decorated, staff polite, excellent breakfast

It would have nice to have been in the main building.

Attractive, comfortable hotel in a good location. The Staff were helpful and welcoming. Our evening meal was very nice and the breakfast was also very good. Overall it was a very pleasant stay. Thank you.

It was as if a speaker was right next to the bed with how loud the music was on the grounds and it went on and on until 1.30am was hardly relaxing and only got an hours sleep after!!!

The Bathroom in the room smelt of food as we were above a kitchen breakfast on the Sunday was a 40 minute wait when the food was brought out it was cold and not thoroughly cooked we complained but was told because we booked through a third party the hotel could not offer any refunds or discounts we would have to email the Hotel manager with our concerns and they would then decide what the outcome would be

Spa was nice

Staff on reception could of been friendlier

Easy to find, the room was beautiful and spacious, the hall itself was very well maintained, lots of gardens and seating areas outside, would definitely come back again!

• Executive Family Double Room

Parking in a muddy field in pitch blackness with absolutely no lights because they had a Christmas fair and the place was full of the public buying goods. No parking was set aside for hotel guests. Very poor organisation. Ruined my suede shoes in the mud getting back to the hotel from the car.

comfortable room

• Single Lodge

The bathroom and the awful shower that would not turn on HAD TO CALL FOR HELP. the small wash hand basin THE NARROW BED but worse was noise of delivery and CATERING VANS EACH MORNING FROM 5.30 OUTSIDE MY WINDOW AND DOOR LITERALLY FEET AWAY was warned of some noise but did not anticipate how close

parking, wifi and location and hall and grounds looked lovely

• Single Lodge

The lodge is next to the car park and it looks more than a toll collection house then a lodge. Though the description on the booking site is correct, if you book quickly the site leaves the impression that it is part of the main castle. The personel is not really helpfull in finding a solution unless you pay more. Money is of essense at this place - they also charge 3.9% for using AMEX - something not really clear to me whilst booking at the site.

The place is clean

• Suite

Leisure center unavailable to residents most of the day due to private party. Not communicated beforehand or apology for it. No comfortable lounge area , only public space was very small cafe area near leisure center. Overflow in toilet in room running all night.

Not much

The breakfast was a let down this time round we have stayed at Orsett Hall before and felt this time round quality of the food was not to as high standards as previous visit.

The whole experience was lovely apart from breakfast

We had an executive room, it was nice, not amazing, not fantastic, just nice. Breakfast very average and limited choices. Gym and pool is separately owned and can only be used for a couple of hours a day, which are not hours you would choose.

Staff very pleasant and helpful. Beautiful gardens.

• Executive Family Double Room

Extra charges for paying with Visa, MasterCard of 2.5% and 3.9% with American Express 😱, bathroom light and extractor coming on at night when you enter bathroom and you can't turn it off so your partner gets woken up, green light on ceiling very bright and lights up the room so keeps you awake and you can't use the Spa unless you book a Spa weekend!

Breakfast was good

• Executive Family Double Room

The pull out sofa bed felt unstable and uncomfortable for sleeping. The breakfast was included in the price but wasn't clear how much could be eaten as it is on order. Only limited items offered on buffet. The staff taking the orders appeared to prioritise other customers over me and my family.

We had an executive family room with a separate living room, this was great for the family. We really enjoyed the spa area the relaxing music and the staff were very polite. Loads of towels to use and the bathroom was very good standard for a family sharing.

The annoying green emergency light that lit up the room. I know they need them by law but other hotels seem to be less intrusive.

Was there attending a wedding, the facilities, food and staff for the event were amazing.

The breakfast for £20 a head was very poor. There is no way we had £20 worth of food yet alone between us. Would not have this again. Very disappointed at the hours we could use the spa facilities totally useless if you are attending a function

The staff were amazing particularly the young bar staff who went over and above

• Single Lodge

Managed to get 3 hours sleep.my room had no sound proofing and was right next to two weddings that ended at 2am with people shouting driving vehicles right next to my room that then lit it up like an xmas tree. Then woken again at 5.50 by deliveries being made right next to my room.appalling i complained to reception and have had no response from management. They also charged my credit card twice.

Breakfast chaotic not enough staff although staff were lovely Food all run out nassive queues poor organization we just had a hot dronk fruit and toast .

Location setting rooms and new part of hotel were all good

The breakfast. Myself and my partner order soft poach eggs and my partner ask for no black pudding and we was ordering my friend arrive for breakfast She also order soft poach egg . When it arrived Our friend was fry . We do said that no wot she order . I waistress said that wot l wrote down and walk off , as if to say tuff . Then we notes my partner had black pudding as she didn't . So it was my partners order she had got wrong , l was a waitress one and we was told custom was alway right and try to keep people happy and l had time when l New they hadn't order some thing but we alway try to sort it out . But it wasn't order wrong and the attiutube was no good and the tea wasn't great as wasn't very hot .

Felt the bathroom was a little unsafe. Very high bath which made it difficult to climb into ,also no handrail in bath. I think that if you have mobile problems then you could be in trouble!

Bed was very comfy. Good choice at breakfast. Conveniently situated for where we wanted to go.

The Breakfast selection of items such as fruit salad, prunes, orange segments and grapefruit segments were not provided. They were available the last time I stayed a few years ago....Surely they do not need to cut back on these selections....disappointed!!

The ambience of the property and the comfort of the rooms. The Hotel has ample parking available and is surrounded by beautiful gardens. Very Tranquil

The facilities in the bedrooms were not as good as would have been expected of a 4* venue like Orsett Hall. No glasses (until we requested them) only flimsy plastic ones in the bathroom. No bottled water and only one pillow each. The carpet was also very marked. Quite disappointing!

The breakfast was very good, well cooked and prepared to order.

The bedding was awlful old scratchy blankets the room was far to hot and there was a noise like a car had run out of screen wash kept coming on so only got about 2 hours sleep in all

The grounds

We specially took trunks etc for the spa. Got to the spa and were told that the reception should have told us it was too busy for us to visit at all. Had only booked the hotel because of its spa. The bedrooms above the spa are cramped and gloomy with little headroom and only a skylight. All in all, hellish poor value for money.

The gardens were lovely.

• Single Lodge

There seemed to be a huge shortage of staff, particularly at breakfast. To have one waitress trying to serve over 70 people, at the same time as restocking the buffet, smacks to me of penny pinching. I left without breakfast since I couldn't wait any longer.

The location is excellent and the grounds and building are beautifully maintained.

The hotel staff were friendly, room was clean with nice decor. However, there was a huge Private party in the hotel, other guests were loud and disruptive into the early hours of the morning. As other guests have commented, two single mattresses pushed together to form a double bed, is very uncomfortable. Again though, staff were amazing, friendly and polite.

• Executive Family Double Room

There was nothing I didn't like, nothing at all. Everything was perfect.

The food was delicious and everything was cooked fresh. Portions were amazing too. Presentation was beautiful.

Browse Orsett Hall traveller photo gallery