Reviews of Overton Grange Country Hotel 3 stars

Hereford Road, Ludlow, SY8 4AD, United Kingdom

#13 of 17 hotels in Ludlow

Would never return nor recommend to anyone else.

The Staff were incredibly rude! Not the young man who waited our table though, he was very sweet but couldn't speak much English. We had reason to mention to the male staff member who appeared to be the manager, that the bathroom to our 'Superior Double Room' was not as the photo on the website, it was poor and the toilet continued to refill throughout the whole night, disturbing our sleep. When nothing was done about it, we approached him again but were told he'd checked it and there was nothing wrong with it and we can't expect to get a plumber on a Saturday, so tough! Also, on arrival at 7pm on Friday we were expecting to eat in the restaurant but was told that the restaurant wasn't open and we should have booked. The website says its 'advisable' not 'compulsory' yet there was no apology. When I later telephoned the hotel on my arrival home, to discuss a confusing notification I'd received from Booking.com regarding our stay, I was unfortunate enough to get the same male staff member who, on this occasion, told me to just ignore it and then hung up on me! I am sure this male staff member is not one of the owners of this 'privately owned hotel' but if the owners read these reviews, I would strongly recommend they address the arrogance and rudeness of their staff because, if I owned a hotel and I heard a member of my staff speak to my customers as he did, he would be instantly dismissed.

The location was beautiful

Nice location very near Ludlow

I had booked a double but was initially offered a twin and it does not appear in any case I got the room as allocated on my registration card? The room was okay but only had a very small bathroom and stand in shower and a small tv. Wifi had a very poor signal which meant I could not access the internet which was frustrating.

Good location and parking and breakfast was nice but I just wished it was served before 8 am because having to wait kept me from work.

The location of the hotel is grand, the views grounds and setting are great. Breakfast was good.

I didn't really dislike anything, but there is an unexplainable strange atmosphere, be it the silence the reception area or the staff, I honestly couldn't say, but we both felt it. If the establishment I presume wants to generate a business, the policy of being dog friendly needs further consideration or stop that service, it is half hearty. For example, there should be an area within the bar for residents to sit with a dog, that way people would stay and use the bar place the dog in the car for an hour, then use the restaurant. The only other alternatives was as wrongly suggested by a member of staff was to leave your dog in the car the evening or as we did go to a dog friendly pub, it was at the hotels loss. Have a dog only exercise area, with a bin, the back left hand corner would be a great location. Clean the patio furniture, it was dirty. Lastly no water pressure in the bathroom, the shower was pathetic. Obviously the hotel caters for top notch diners, but I feel having one al carte menu is very restrictive. The gardens could be made very beautiful but are neglected. Our bedroom decor was in desperate need of pictures and lighting to be in keeping with the rest of the bedroom, instead it had Ikea items in an old Grange!

We had a nice large bedroom with a fantastic view. The breakfast menu was very good and extensive, and cooked to my liking. Very clean inside. The staff, we only met two, were very polite and helpful.

Lifeless! Couldn’t wait to get home and feel like I’ve actually washed!

Didn’t help that we were the only guests in the hotel but the place seemed absolutely lifeless. The breakfast waiter tried very hard in making us welcome and tried his hardest to make conversation who was obviously training and learning the English language. By far this was the most inviting member of staff. The water pressure was absolutely terriable!! My husband asked if there was another room with better pressure or room with a bath but was told there aren’t any better ones. What water we actually got out of the shower took forever to drain. Tea and coffee facilities very low quality and milk was out of date. Didn’t mention this to staff as we didn’t want to go and ring the bell again for someone’s attention. Swimming pool stone cold! Sauna after asking for them to turn on took forever to get warm. We like have liked to dine in the restaurant on our 2nd night but didn’t want them to have to open the restaurant just for us.

Beautiful surroundings, great choice for breakfast and all facilities very clean. The waiters singing in the kitchen at breakfast 😀 I imagine in the summer with more than 3 guests this could be a lovely place but felt like a very basic b&b

Overall the hotel was lovely, beautiful setting.
    • Standard Twin Room

We were the only guests in the hotel,bar and restaurant were closed and no staff on site during the night only an emergency number for the porter.

Room was very comfortable with good facilities and wonderful views

Great retreat for a recharging night away

Water pressure in the room we were in was poor. Pool, though great, could have been a bit warmer

Staff were excellent. Very welcoming. Special mention for the lady (manager) on reception and everything else

Wonderful luxury Hotel and Restaurant

The service was fantastic, we were made very welcome. The room was lovely and had a wonderful view across to fields. The bed was very comfortable and the facilities were very good, including the free wifi. We had dinner at the restaruant on Valentines night and it was outstanding, the best meal out we have ever had. Tim the chef and staff had gone to so much trouble to make our evening special. The complimentary mushroom and truffle veloute was to die for, silky and an incredible umami flavour that was rich and velvety. The whole meal was incredible and at the end, Tim had created a valentine platter with chocolate truffles and pipped writing for us. We cannot rate this hotel and restaurant more highly and would recommend it to anyone. Thank you to everyone at Overton Grange.

Lovely peaceful hotel in beautiful location close to Ludlow.

The water pressure of the shower in our room was very poor which was disappointing but in no way a deal breaker. The water in the swimming pool was freezing cold and we thought it would have been a little warmer especially as our stay was in Winter. The sauna was great though so that made up for it.

Lovely peaceful hotel in beautiful location close to Ludlow. Very welcoming staff. Room was clean and comfortable. Breakfast was excellent.

Good, but could be better
    • Standard Twin Room

I think that the toiletries should be presented more attractively , say in a decorative basket with more variety. As stated above some redecorating is necessary. I did not like a 10% service charge being added to a lunch already costing £85.00. A small TV/games room would enhance the place,missed the Queen's speech because of lunch. A bit of live music would improve the atmosphere - say a pianist.

Public areas and dining room are excellent. My standard bedroom is very dated and in need of redecorating. Food including breakfast is excellent, but expensive. Very good wine list.

We enjoyed an excellent meal for six.

The shower was poor. Slow water flow and difficult temperature control.

We enjoyed an excellent meal for six. The staff in the restaurant and bar were cheerful and helpful,

Very clean hotel ok breakfast .

Tiny room. Minute tv! No tv stations!!!wifi rubbish!! Its like a snobby Faulty Towers. Spoke to other guests and they all agreed. What year is it????? 1970?

Very clean hotel ok breakfast .nothing much else!!

Fantastic place to rest up and relax before work!

The hotel is beautiful and extensive with a homely and welcoming feel. The staff were friendly and attentive and the food was absolutely amazing. What a brilliant find... I will definitely use again!

Overall well pleased but technical facilities could have been improved.

No Wi Fi Very poor tv reception, at times could barely receive BBC as the only channel. Limited bar opening times (possibly due to the few guests at this time of the year)

Good location to Ludlow. Lovely country location Good views from room. Great food Older character building Indoor heated swimming pool.

The views and I did sleep well after a 16 Hr day.

No food served on Mondays, read the details properly folks and if you do arrive on a Monday the bar also closed at nine. Breakfast was average by comparison to other hotels in the location and ones I've stayed in on par with the price and with similar surroundings. The staff we're unatentive and please please check when you check in you haven't already been charged. I was, had I not checked I would have paid twice! This was rectified quickly, after I noticed the error. Sadly, I would not stay here again.

The views and I did sleep well after a 16 Hr day.

Most enjoyable and relaxing stay.

The flat rooves did partially detract from the lovely view. Still lovely though.

Comfortable, quiet,and peaceful, friendly staff, very accommodating and beautiful views. A lovely ambience in longe and bar as well.

Served a purpose although if I was staying for leisure I would have checked out after the first nigh

This hotel is grossly over priced. It was an old nursing home and it still feels that way. The bed was incredibly uncomfortable with a knackered polyester quilt. Room was sweltering and stuffy even with Windows opened. The only TV channels available were BBC 1 and 2. The bathroom wasn't the cleanest and could do with putting the hand shower on the wall. With competitor hotels offering better value for money with better quality amenities.

Dinner was good although perhaps slightly over priced.service was polite.

Would not go back

For the price the bathroom needed updating, the tv reception was virtually non existent. States within 10 minute walking distance, but it probably took twice that amount of time and unsafe as not always footpath. Breakfast quite eventful due to new staff unable to understand or speak English very well......it was like an episode of Fawlty Towers!

Lovely setting

sad

the itchy sheets and duvet cover over a duvet which needed throwing out. booked upgrade for a big bed got a standard food in restaurant awful brie had gone off paid far too much felt we'd been robbed. staff doing all they could to keep place open but for the last 2 of the 3 nights we were the only guests such a shame .

lovely staff - lovely building beautiful setting

Very nice stay, would go again, hopefully the menu would be more suitable.
    • Standard Twin Room

Loved to have dinner there (being a foodie), pricey and asked for 10% service charge on top. Over complicated menus (sweetly trying to hard - simpler and fresh would have seen more people in the dining room), unfortunately due to my food allergies (wild mushrooms and seafood) only 1 out of 4 main dishes was suitable.

Beautifully maintained hotel very comfortable, excellent breakfast, staff very pleasant.

Most enjoyable stay only a short distance from Ludlow.

Bathroom was a little compact with just a shower which we requested.

The dinner was exceptional. I had scallops followed by venison which was perfect and tender. The dessert was pistachio Panna cottage which was the best I have ever tasted. They have a wonderful chef.

Not a relaxing country retreat

There are not enough staff to run this hotel efficiently, so service is very poor. It was like Faulty Towers, with one person running (literally) from one area to another. Dinner was served so quickly it was very unrestful.

Comfortable room and lounge area but no staff at the bar.

Great, will definitely stay again.
    • Suite/Four-Poster Double

It might well be trivial my saying the bottle of white wine I ordered with my evening meal hadn't been chilled, not even slightly. Some diners could easily make a song and dance about that given even Wetherspoons get it right, but 20 mins in the ice bucket helped.

The hotel isn't cheap so I expected top grade facilities, service etc. I wasn't disappointed!

Very good quality hotel spoiled by the evening dining experience.

Set dinner menu limited choice. 4 starters one not available. 4 mains two of them fish. Same on both nights of my stay. Or 7 course taster menu.

Bed, towels and linen very good quality. Room nice and quiet. Beautifully presented bedrooms and public areas.

OK but wouldn't choose to stay again.

We didn't like being taken up the "staff staircase" through storage areas and scruffy carpet to the rooms when there was a proper staircase. The crockery in the room hadn't been washed properly. Spare toilet tissue had been stuffed in the middle of the roll and not removed.

Breakfast was brilliant. Huge selection and excellent service.

A superb hotel, will definitely consider a return visit when in the area next
    • Standard Twin Room

We had hoped to visit the town of Ludlow for a meal during our stay but it was impossible to arrange any sort of taxi.

The lady who welcomed us on arrival and looked after us for the best part of our stay was extremely kind and helpful. Our room was nice and the beds were comfortable. Although the Restaurant was effectively closed for our stay the menu we were offered was delicious

good hotel for a short break in superb countryside

was effected by an air-conditioning extractor that was noisy but able to move room room was Ok but a bit hard to access.

cheerful service ,location, food

Awesome friendly hotel.

Nice meal. Nice dinning room with excellent views of the country side. Really tranquil. Jane couldn't do enough for us. She even picked us up from the train station as all the taxis were booked. 2Nd to none service.

Restful and relaxing.

Only able to stay one night due to our previous arrangements.

Staff were efficient and very friendly. The food was well presented and tasty. Room and public areas were very clean.

Excellent breakfast served in good time, we had briefed them...

Found that all rooms were on better offer after I had booked on this website. No chance then to cancel or rebook. £50 booking fee taken by hotel, prior to stay. Poor water pressure at times.

Excellent breakfast served in good time, we had briefed them that we needed early start Nice lawns and gardens for exercising the woofs who had a little welcome pack Good peaceful rural location just off A road south of Ludlow. Good ambience and helpful staff.

Lovely hotel in gorgeous grounds.

Poor water pressure in bathroom

Lovely hotel in gorgeous grounds. Staff very helpful and friendly. Restaurant fantastic with great food, well presented.

Disappointing, pretentious and underwhelming.
    • Suite/Four-Poster Double

Strongly suggest not staying in their four poster/suite. Definitely not as described as the room is tiny and definitely not a suite. On top of that the bathroom is also miniscule, necessitating climbing over the toilet to have a shower or bath! Despite it being the 21st Century wifi is only available in the lounge, not the bedrooms. And do not expect to be able to tether your mobile phone as signal is poor. If you eat at the hotel avoid the seven course testing menu. Why? Well it was our anniversary and we had decided to treat ourselves. Unfortunately at just under £70 per head plus 10% tip it turned out to be pretentious and underwhelming in terms of service, flavor and portion size. Chef made overuse of truffle oil, which is cheap and awful tasting, rather than using real truffle on two of the courses. The seven course tasting menu only had six courses from the menu, which they didn't tell you beforehand. Oh, and the first course they called a veloute which is actually the base for other sauces.. The fillet was again smothered in truffle oil, and to add insult to injury had been cooked then cut in half, with half served to me and the other half to my wife. Hardly Michelin star.. The two sweets were the only good part of the meal but not worth the price of admission. The fact that it was a Saturday night and only two other tables were occupied should have warned us. The locals obviously are of the "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me" persuasion as none were present. I asked to speak to the manager on multiple occasions but he/she never showed up. Interestingly when I asked to speak to the chef I was told he wasn't there.. I may have misunderstood as the staff did not speak very good English. While the bedroom was made up, linen wasn’t changed, the room wasn’t vacuumed and shampoo and bath gel not replaced.. The hotel is up for sale which may explain why it appears to be run on a shoestring.

Pleasant grounds with easy parking, but limited dog walking except for grounds and main road. Breakfast was good but served in a small room with small tables crammed together rather than the larger restaurant space.. Swimming pool was small but pleasant and didn’t smell of chlorine. Dog friendly but charges £15 per night. They do give your dog treats for the first night. It has a Spa but no staff on site. You need to book well in advance. The hotel has a sauna but you have to ask 45 minutes in advance as it’s not left on.

Excellent parking, beautiful picturesque views - open fields...

The television didn't work for the whole five days of our stay (interference on screen and sound), on final day we were given a note with a website address to check for reception but it said it was fine! We had complained on several occasions. As we were departing one morning the toilet flush broke, although it had been looked at that day it wasn't fixed as it was a Sunday; we had to press a small plastic fixing that night! Your confirmation said Molton Brown toiletries but we arrived to one shampoo, one soap and a body wash between two which wasn't replaced even when it had been opened. Fortunately, we had taken our own. Toiletries were Sea Spray Made in China not Molton Brown. Molton Brown toiletries were in a display cabinet though on the landing. Candles left unattended in the reception in the evenings. We asked if there would be a reduction on the bill as the television was very annoying and never fixed but this was refused.

Excellent parking, beautiful picturesque views - open fields, sheep and rabbits, lovely house, nice traditional furniture well decorated, good breakfast and helpful/cheerful staff.

A Quiet Country Break in a dated "faded luxury" venue.

This hotel is in need of a facelift or, really, a more radical overhaul. Everything says 'this used to be a luxury venue - 20 or 30 years ago'. Our bedroom was very dated and a rambling hike from reception, even though the place was far from full. The mattress was overdue a change, and the pillows very well flattened by the years. The tea-making facilities were ancient, and the products of a cheap standard.

The location is wonderful - about 2 miles from Ludlow and very quiet in rolling bucolic parkland. The pool is a good size and well maintained. Breakfast was good if unimaginative. Staff were helpful, though thin on the ground, even on a Saturday in July. Public rooms are comfortable and quiet. We paid a price I felt was fair for a weekend in Summer and in Ludlow - B&Bs were not much less.

The restaurant closed on the Sunday.
    • Standard Twin Room

The restaurant closed on the Sunday. Taxis are almost impossible to obtain. The only option we had to get something to eat was to undertake a 40 min walk into town. This spoilt our visit.

IDEAL ACCOMMODATION FOR EXPLORING SHROPSHIRE SIGHTS AND SCENERY

Restaurant expensive and we were put off by prices

Comfort and convenience to Ludlow town and National Trust properties nearby. Inclusive, breakfast excellent value

Outstanding mid week break

The evening meal menu looked a little rich in taste and cost for us.

Lovely old building tastefully furnished with no 'old smell 'to it. Excellent breakfast, friendly service. Swimming pool and sauna area spotlessly clean and peaceful and relaxing.

The location of this hotel near Ludlow is wonderful with stunning views across the countryside.

our original room had a lovely view but didn't have a shower only a bath, when we queried this Jayne very quickly found us a room with shower but unfortunately it didn't have a view. As we were staying 3 night we decided the shower was more important than the view.

Lovely helpful staff, brilliant location as Ludlow is within walking distance.

NOT GOOD NOT RECOMENDED

TV TO WORK WINDOW SEALED UNITS FAILING BULB HAD TO BE REPLACED EVENING DINNER LEFT TABLE HUNGARY SWIMMING POOL EXTRA CHARGE IE ROBE /FLIP FLOPS RIP OFF METAL OUTSIDE SEETING DIRTY

Lovely stay !

25 minutes walk to Ludlow town.

Friendly and helpful staff, lovely quiet location and a beautiful hotel /county house. The rooms are very clean and comfortable.

ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT

Breakfast was disappointing. Food seems to be pre cooked. Sausage and bacon poor. Arrived at 3pm. Looked at at room service menu, chose tea and sandwich but were informed kitchen was closed. Outside of bedroom window was a huge mount of bird poo. Bathroom poor, needs unpdating. Bearing in mind our room with breakfast was £165 per night it definitely was not value for money.

• Reviewed: 15 June 2017

Great stay

We stayed three nights and had a very good nights sleep on extremely comfy bed. The staff were very friendly. It was a lovely hotel to stay in. The breakfast was great with a lot of choice, everything you could wish for. It is well situated for visiting Ludlow and surrounding areas.

• Reviewed: 9 June 2017

Gorgeous location, wonderful rural views, pool just right. Easy to find.
    • Standard Twin Room

My personal preference is for brighter lighting for reading.

The food was excellent. I particularly enjoyed the vegetarian cooked breakfast. The chef spoke to us about my diet, and produced a spectacular tasting menu, normal for my husband and vegetarian for me, which complemented each other. Very tasty indeed. The staff were super friendly and helpful. No delays, everything smiling and lovely.

Lovely. I'd definately stay again,hopefully for longer next time.

The road-works closing the road completely outside the gates... not what you want to greet you at the end of a long drive down from Scotland!

The staff were terrific... the lad on duty late on Friday Night, offered to drive out into the countryside and find me when I phoned to say my SatNav had gone totally doo-lally, having been hit by a pheasant, and the road past the entrance was closed off in two places for road works! Next night I came back very late from a wedding and let myself in with a borrowed key... I couldn't have wanted for better!! The grounds and gardens were lovely too... Well Done Mr. Gardner.

Fantastic breakfast.

Room very small. Could make up for this with a few more luxuries like biscuits and a bigger TV.

Fantastic breakfast. Very friendly, helpful and attentive staff. Quiet and peaceful location. Comfortable bed. Pool looked nice, sadly didn't have time to use it. Appreciate the bottled water in the room.

Excellent and relaxing birthday break for my lovely wife in a stunningly beautiful area.
    • Standard Twin Room

Tea kit in bedroom not topped up. Plumbing made strange noises in the night from room next door. I think shut off valve in cistern needs changing.

Beautiful surroundings. Evening meal superb, but expensive. Breakfast was included and was good with plenty of choice. Staff very friendly and helpful. Room clean and tidy.

Warm and cosy staff very friendly and helpful.

Food was high quality but cordon bleu does nothing for us. Would have preferred more choice on the menu and more on the plate. Overall just a bit on the expensive side for a nights stay and dinner.

Warm and cosy staff very friendly and helpful. Room clean and ready for us early. Decor a little tired bed very comfy. Very relaxing place.

• Reviewed: 24 May 2017

Lovely hotel, shame about the breakfast experience!
    • Standard Twin Room

English cooked breakfast poor. Bacon grilled to a frazzle and black burnt and very dry, small sausage, portion not as big as some other hotels and bed and breakfast places visited. Had to wait 15 minutes before our order was taken and then a further 20 minutes before the breakfasts appeared by which time the toast and tea were stone cold! However, on request more tea and toast were provided. The breakfast room was not at all busy, only another 4 or 5 tables occupied with couples. Disappointing compared to facilities offered. Staff very nice.

Quiet serene and tranquil setting in the countryside Twin room very clean and beds comfortable.

Reception staff lovely.

Room very small & next to huge moss covered flat roof which obscured nice view. Poor water pressure in shower - only a trickle. Did not eat there as food all French - nothing we liked & very expensive.

Reception staff lovely. Location beautiful.

Great views of the surrounding countryside.

I really enjoyed my stay. If I was nitpicking I suppose there could have been greater choice on the food menu but I would definitely stay there again.

Great views of the surrounding countryside. Nice relaxed feel to the hotel. Room was large & clean Staff were friendly & very helpful.

• Reviewed: 10 May 2017

Very comfortable and relaxing

Slightly more choice for dinner and the restaurant open on Sunday and Monday as well as other days

The breakfast was excellent and the countryside round about was really lovely

Excellent location, very friendly staff and good facilities.
    • Standard Twin Room

Nothing. All good apart from the duvet.

We were a bit too hot in bed as the heating had been left on prior to our arrival. It soon cooled down in the room but the duvet felt very heavy. However... The weather had changed and it was warmer than the previous days.

• Reviewed: 6 May 2017

Very restful - great Spa facilities and lovely views from th ehotel

We were told there were bar meals available for the Fri eve when we were arriving late, but in fact there were not so we went into Ludlow and had a loveyl meal

The receptiion staff were very friendly but poorly trained.

• Reviewed: 5 May 2017

Very enjoyable 3day stay...no WiFi as problem with BT. loved the rabbits!

Support in shower and bath e.g.grip/handle No rooms for wheelchair access

Views and ambiance excellent. Staff helpful Pool very good Lounges and bar area comfortable

food Heaven

the only thing I could have a moan at was the pool was very cold!!!

The food was second to none, the staff was friendly and helpful, the room was very comfortable

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

Lovely views. Friendly staff. Good freshly prepared cooked breakfast.
    • Standard Twin Room

No shower so not very good for my elderly mother who has difficulty using a bath. Also problem with booking as I booked two nights but received a telephone call to advise they had problems with email/internet and only one night available.

Very comfortable. Excellent breakfast. Friendly staff. Use of swimming pool.

• Reviewed: 27 April 2017

Excellent relaxing weekend

The milk was off at breakfast on one of the mornings.

The location is lovely and the restaurant food is excellent. Very friendly staff and large recently decorated rooms. The hotel was quiet when we stayed so we had the pool to ourselves which was great for our baby.

• Reviewed: 26 April 2017

lovely, comfortable stay

The hotel was lovely and had a very country feel. It is a little distance out of town but we took a taxi on the way in (only £6) and walked back which was fine. I was also doing a sporting event and was going to leave before breakfast so they left breakfast out for me to help myself - very kind.

• Reviewed: 21 April 2017

Excellent value for money, great service and facilities.

Only think I can think to mention was that the French waitress needs to learn the difference between a poached and a scambled egg! however, she was so extremely helpful and kind, we didn't like to say at the time!

Cleanliness and friendliness of staff excellent. Nothing was too much trouble. Our bed was extremely comfortable and we had a lovely relaxing time. Good value for money in a traditional Country House.

Brilliant Chef Let down by poor management.

1. The Wifi was slow and unreliable. 2. The Spa was shut, we only found out when we arrived and the sole reason we chose the hotel was for the Spa. We felt we were mis-sold the Hotel. The management should have told us. 3. We arrived back mid evening on Sunday to find we could not order andy food or drink. again no-one told us the kitchen would be completely shut in advance. 4. The swimming pool was far too cold to use. My daughter did 2 lengths when had to get out because her hands had turned blue. 5. Every morning the breakfast order was wrong. This was very irritating.

The evening meal was excellent. The Chef is let down by the Hotel Management.

Lovely hotel, would definitely recommend.

Some staff members weren't as polite as others, especially at breakfast when they started to clear away when others at the table were still eating.

Location was excellent, easy access into Ludlow. Food was amazing (both breakfast and dinner).

• Reviewed: 8 April 2017

Chill out

Nothing or maybe a reviewer had put old peoples hotel WRONG ! Didnt like that comment if you want relaxation this is it

From checking in to check out we had a fabulous time comfort and relaxing the pool was lovely food outstanding HOW they do the a la carte for the price is unbelievable Next time going to starve all day and go for taster menu cant rate tbe meal and staff higjhly enough

• Reviewed: 24 February 2017

A great weekend in Ludlow

We were unlucky with our shower in our room - it lacked pressure and was a bit of a trickle really. The swimming pool, nice though it was, was surprisingly cold and the handle on the sauna was broken meaning the door couldn't be closed I am being picky however, as the comfortable room, excellent food, friendly staff and perfect location made this trip ideal

Food excellent, was a wonderful experience. The staff superb: polite, helpful and friendly - they were discreet but there when you needed them. The pool was lovely also

• Reviewed: 11 February 2017

excellent

pool was too cold for somfort we were told it was 27 degrees but it was much colder than our local baths we did get used to the temperature though and did enjoy our swims

scrambled egg and smoked salmon breakfast delicious

• Reviewed: 27 January 2017

OUTSTANDING!

My only criticism is the poor wi-fi connection!..not a major problem though!

On the whole I could not fault Overton Grange,have stayed there on numerous occasions over the last ten years!..breakfast is fantastic!

• Reviewed: 12 January 2017

A relaxing break even in the depths of winter

Some minor issues with the shower, which were soon resolved.

A warm welcome from the helpful and enthusiastic staff. There was a lovely log fire on our arrival.

• Reviewed: 16 December 2016

Lovely ambiance, comfy sofas, very friendly staff.

Lovely ambiance, comfy sofas, very friendly staff. Chef was particularly helpful with a vegetarian option for dinner. We only stayed for one night but wished it could of been for longer but we will definitely return some time soon.

• Reviewed: 4 December 2016

Disappointing experience as a couple wanting a relaxing escape four days ..

Expensive meal was not a well balanced , tasty but not enough especially veg . Bathroom door badly fitted . Shower not good. Fire lit unlit most nights . No games around . For cost no food available Sunday and Monday apart from breakfast . No ambience .

The view was good . Receptionist good .

• Reviewed: 13 November 2016

A very comfortable hotel with excellent views over the countryside

Limited choice on dinner menu which was somewhat expensive, as were the drinks in the bar. Bath in en-suite was quite short.

Good location. Comfortable room and public lounges. Very pleasant and helpful staff. Breakfast excellent.

• Reviewed: 30 October 2016

disappointing

room 7 small with standard double bed. shower a dribble. when forced to return home one day early due to illness, male staff unhelpful on question of discount for non occupation. manager uncontactable (staff declared that they did not have his phone number !).subsequent attempts also unfruitful. incidentally only one other couple in hotel

food,dinner and breakfast excellent.female staff very helpful

Peaceful and quiet location with wonderful views, friendly atmosphere, excellent food.
    • Standard Twin Room

no easy chair in the bedroom. Beds were quite narrow. Bath difficult to get out of if showering, felt unsafe, no anti slip mat so we had to buy one.

Food was excellent.

• Reviewed: 20 October 2016

Fantastic place to stay highly recommended

The shower was poor quality I have seen better ones in cheaper hotels also it was to high up for a shorter person to detach the shower head from rail fixture

The Lithuanian receptionist was fantastic so helpful and great customer service skills

well run. Good location. clean & comfortable. excellent staff team.

Wife has nut allergy. Have this into on registration & when giving menu order. Disappointed when told after her sweet had been delivered that nuts had been used as plate decoration. Was compensated immediately.

• Reviewed: 7 October 2016

Great location for an overnight stay, but not for the evening meal

1. One of the rooms provided clearly had a major drain issue (the handbasin smelled appallingly sulphurous); in the kindly provided replacement room, the bed was rather hard and the shower handset to the bath was either 100% hot or 100% cold! 2. On one evening, we tried the restaurant, which turned out to be a very poor experience: it was a long time before our order was taken, and when the main course came the beef was lukewarm and hard to cut .... not good at all, and especially so at the price charged!

Quiet location and very helpful and friendly staff; excellent breakfast

• Reviewed: 6 October 2016

Friendly staff, nice atmosphere and decor, comfy and warm,...

Friendly staff, nice atmosphere and decor, comfy and warm, lovely breakfast. We enjoyed walking back a couple of miles in the dark after a meal out in Ludlow and consider that as part of the fun, but probably just out of walking distance from Ludlow for normal people. Taxis available and recommendations given. Would happily recommend the Overton Grange and would love to go back.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

Comfortable bed.

Bit further away from Ludlow town centre than expected. 30 minute walk. Approximately £10 return trip in a taxi.

Comfortable bed. Very clean and nicely decorated. Lovely swimming pool. Beautiful views. Excellent breakfast choice. Would return