Reviews of Patten Arms Hotel 2 stars

Parker Street, Warrington, WA1 1LS , United Kingdom

#13 of 16 hotels in Warrington

Cancelled my room and refused to help me.

Booked the room, travelled 90+ mile to get there only to find they had cancelled my booking and refused to help me at all after having nowhere else to stay.

Nothing, they cancelled my room for no good reason.

Just what I needed

Location is straight across the road from the train station & was very close to where I had a meeting. Breakfast was good, room spacious & clean, excellent towels & bathroom & great tv. Didn’t have an evening meal as there’s a really good Indian restaurant close by but if I return to Warrington I’d have no hesitation in staying again

The staff were very helpful

I am disabled and the lost on site parking meant I had to use a municipal facility further away and struggled with my luggage. Having used the hotel previously I was shocked on checking in that I could not park on site!

The staff were very helpful

Historically shabby hotel with personable staff

I think the price was on the steeper side, £100 for a 3 bed room (booked well in advance). The hotel is very worn out, and I've stayed in glossy new hotels for less per person. I think if the room had been £60-70 it'd felt like a proper good deal. I was the first to shower in our room and struggled to get right temperature water. My friends went after me and said it was ok for them.

The staff in this hotel were the best aspect. Helpful and smiling, especially at breakfast they took great care of us. Speaking of breakfast, it was a very nice classic English one. Special mention to the French toast and the cute fish I met in the breakfast room. Me and my friends also liked the historic and shabby feeling the hotel has. We were joking it's got a bit of a haunted vibe to it. This might not be everyone's cup of tea, but if you're looking for a place with history and character, and staff that go an extra mile for you, then Patten Arms is worth considering!

This place was great - comfortable, close to the station and a great breakfast!

The bar ran out of gin! but the red wine compensated!

Unpretentious, very close to station, good breakfast, comfortable bed, bathroom good, room and tv large. Helpful and friendly staff. We would stay there again.

Did what it should of -room -bed -shower

It’s a bit dated Thick carpet that is uneven and the floor creaked Bathroom door was very hard to close and the toilet handle the wrong way round

Did what it should of -room -bed -shower

Good value for money.

A little outdated and the bar didn't have a huge range of drinks. But thats me pushing to find a large fault...

Good value for money. Brekkie in the morning was fab. Warrington isn't too big so wasn't a long walk into town. Right next Quay station so good if you need that.

Excellent staff, breakfast was great.

Floors incredibly creaky, lots of stairs and no elevator, paint/ plaster peeling off the walls and floors in both rooms. We only found one power outlet per room.

Excellent staff, breakfast was great. All employees there were exceptionally nice and helpful.

very enjoyable

The toilet paper is so thin you need to use so much it is false economy and there is a man who has been a quest each time we have been he is very unclean and has very bad eating habits

We love the friendly staff and good food the rooms are very clean

Not a good night sleep and woke up to no hot water

No hot water for shower or sink. Floors creaked a lot. Room was very hot window was open but noisy with freight trains passing during night. Cooked breakfast was over cooked. Bacon was like plastic.

Location next to train station. Staff were pleasant and staff member in the morning in the dining room was really helpful and attentive.

Great location next to train station and 5 mins walk to...

The hotel is in need of major refurbishment, bedroom ok , comfy bed.We went down for breakfast and the dining room is awful , chairs are all stained , wall covered by a sheet to hide something ( not quite sure what) . We decided we couldn’t eat breakfast at the hotel as the smell was awful .

Great location next to train station and 5 mins walk to Palmyra square ( bars & restaurants) . But I’m afraid that’s as good as it gets .

Great location and service; value for money

Friendly and helpful staff; warm and comfortable hotel, heart of gold if a bit frayed around the edges. Proximity to (across the road from) Warrington Bank Quay station and town center a real bonus.

Good price, friendly staff, nice breakfast.

Needs some updating work as quite rundown. Very old hotel so noisy creaking floors all night and no double glazing so lots of outside noise.

Good price, friendly staff, nice breakfast.

As a rail traveller the location adjacent to Bank Quay...

Was given a room at the front which was very noisy as the road is very busy, the window needs double glazing but it's shape would no doubt make that very expensive.

As a rail traveller the location adjacent to Bank Quay station was very convenient. Hotel is old-fashioned but still quite comfortable.

Typical English.

The wifi was weak particularly in the rooms.

We enjoyed typical English atmosphere and the breakfast. The staff is friendly and helpful. The hotel is a characteristic 180 yr old station building with old building details and original facade. The hotel is clean and nice, the interior is being renovated step by step by the family who owns the hotel. The hotel is a near the town centre of Warrington. We enjoyed our stay in the Patten Arms hotel.

I wouldn’t recommend it

On arrival my key didn’t fit in the door and after 45 minuets the engineer was called to change the lock. I finally got to bed at 00:45. The breakfast was average if a little over cooked. The room made the Premier Inn look like the Ritz!!

Not a great deal to like.

If I ever recommend this hotel to you take note, it probably means that I don’t like you very much!

Like my father’s fashion sense, the hotel is dated and is in desperate need to a makeover. Finding my room after check-in had me wondering around a maze of corridors, feeling like a rat in a laboratory experiment. Once I located my room I opened the door to be greeted with a room so small that I had flash backs to my time as a POW in the Vietnam War. The bed was so small it would have been more at home in a cottage with seven dwarfs. It must have seen some significant action in its lifetime too as the springs had gone and, when you laid on it you sank lower than the Titanic in the Atlantic Ocean. Outside you could hear the earie noise of the floorboards creaking every time anyone walked down the corridor. At one point I thought I was an extra in ‘The Shining’ and thoroughly expected Jack Nicolson to pop his head through my door at any moment shouting “Here’s Johnny!”. I was a little confused to see a sink basin in the main room until I opened the door to the en-suite bathroom. To say it was cramped would be doing it a disservice. My hat goes off to the bathroom fitter who managed to plum in a toilet and shower cubicle in that room. It’s like some sort of reverse Tardis, looks bigger until you open the door and suddenly realise it’s actually smaller than Donald Trump’s hands. There are certain promises that you know are not true, stuff like “the cheque’s in the post”, “I’ll respect you in the morning”, ”I won’t *** in your mouth”….the WiFi at Pattern House Hotel follows in that tradition. They say WiFi is available however, unless you’re prepared to sit within 20 metres of the front desk you’re very unlikely to actually get connected. Parking the car is a bit like playing a game of Tetris, just without the fun and enjoyment. Like my bathroom, the carpark is just too small. In my 3 night stay I managed to get a parking space once, the rest of the time I ended up driving around the area and paying to park in local pay and display carparks.

excelent

we did not like the fact that there are no blinds or curtains on the bathroom windows taking a shower at night or early morning is anything but private

Basic but perfectly acceptable

Whole building a bit tired and in need of renovaiton

Bed very comfortable and sheets very clean Breakfast buffet and service at breakfast was excellent

Basic, basic, basic

It's a pretty dated and run down property. The facilities are basic (white plastic finish to the bathroom) and it's like being in a scene from Pheonix Nights. It was a place to sleep and that's all we needed.

Not a lot!

Just what we needed.

Our cab driver asked for the post code and entered it in his GPS. We got stuck in the dead end street behind the hotel, where the police station is. Asking a constable where the hotel was he said he didn't know !! Tip: adapt your GPS co-ordinates.

Lovely English breakfast.

Double glazing would help!

No sleep due to traffic, opposite train station and horrendously squeaky floorboards!

Comfy bed, lovely helpful staff, great breakfast, great location for shopping.

A very relaxing and comfortable hotel with helpful and friendly staff.

No lift. Receptionist pointed out that Wi-Fi may not be available in room, but would be able to get on landing. TV played up as signal was poor and recently had aerial installed. Flush handle on toilet stayed down and was difficult to push back up. Some dust on lights and light over bed made a noise when switched on. Hotel were informed of these issues on departure.

I found the Patten Arms Hotel really comfortable, the bed was nice and comfortable and they provided coffee and tea in the room with a kettle. Breakfast was delicious. I had a choice between a bathroom or a shower room, which was nice. TV in room and Wi-Fi available. Arrived a little bit early and the Cleaner quickly hoovered my room. Hotel had a restaurant with lovely food. Location was great. Staff really helpful and friendly. Maintenance man came to fix TV very helpful.

Won’t be going back

No WiFi at all and smart tv had no signal in room. Creaky floor boards, hotel could do with updating and decorating. Lots of stairs to climb with heavy bags- no lift. Staff on reception rude, if you want a meal don’t go by timings on welcome letter- because I wanted a meal at 7:50 and they couldn’t be bothered cooking even though kitchen closes 8:30 pm. Breakfast a bit dried up and not much left, waitress polite and helpful. It’s states on site free parking - no space I had to drive round and find another car park which cost me £12.

The only thing was great location to train station

Budget hotel with a bit of character, like a decent pub with lots of rooms above it.

Victorian hotel slap bang opposite Bank Quay station. The building is showing its age a bit and they've obviously been battling the weather this winter where the rain has got in. It's clean, the staff are nice, and it's really down to earth without being at all rough. Food in the bar is really good value and unpretentious so I ate in too.

Good value

Was abit noisy in the room

The staff were really welcoming and friendly! In an ideal location by the station and a two minute walk to parr hall! We didn’t have any breakfast here as we chose to have a lie in. The Room was very clean.

Very good and have booked again.

The central heating could not be turned down which meant I slept with the windows open. However, better warm than freezing.

The location is superb if travelling by train and the car parking is good. The room is small but adequate. The staff are helpful and friendly. Good place to rest overnight.

The staff were very pleasant and helpful .

Breakfast was over cooked ( sausages , fried egg) the bed was just a normal size . I'm used to a king size so felt I was falling out all night . The carpets in the room really do need a good clean . I would have liked a handle or none slip mat in the shower

The staff were very pleasant and helpful . The hotel was very handy for the station and walking in to town . The free parking was a bonus. The shower room was spotless and nice fluffy large towels

Quiet room handy for station and shops, breakfast and Wi-Fi could have been better.

Wi-Fi.....did not work in room, only available in hallway and bar (when open - closed around 10-11pm). Wardrobe.....missing hanging rail and squeaky doors (could so easily have been fixed). Breakfast......was under heat lamps too long - bacon was generally too hard to eat.

Location...just across the road from Bank Quay Station. Quiet...room was quiet. Bed...was comfortable. Staff.....friendly and polite (especially Samantha)

Friendly helpful staff, And a comfortable stay. Breakfast was good!

The best way to put it is to say that the Patten Arms has seen better days. Car parking is a little awkward. On one occasion I used "overflow" at adjacent train station at £12 A night

I would recommend this hotel for a quick stay not the best hotel but great value for money.

The place was dated carpet was quite worn in the room and the toilet in the room ran constantly all night

The staff were fantastic customer service at its best.

Money well spent, pleasant stay.

Heavy bag to carry upstairs on arrival. No lift.

Right facing railway station.only 15 mins walk to town centre. Central station, same distance. Quiet room, despite hotel being on main road. Minimal noise.

Uncomfortable and disappointing

Very basic they stopped serving food at 8pm and I only arrived at 7.30pm the food was very poor The room only had one plug, no WiFi was very noisy and was so uncomfortable and everything creaked

The only thing was the location to the station

Huge hotel by station, good value, but a bit worn.

Feels a bit tired and run down. Plastic undersheet meant I had to strip, remove and remake the bed before using it.

Friendly atmosphere, lovely staff, excellent food and relaxed pub/bar area.

I would recommend as a decent place to stay .

The Wi-Fi did not work at all . You have an internet smart tv in your room . This would of been a real treat . However as it had no internet connection it was a bit disappointing.

The staff here are excellent, from the manager to the waitress at breakfast a very professional group of people .

OK but a bit tatty and old-fashioned.

Wifi not reachable, shower v weak, didn't appreciate the verbal warning about things I wasn't allowed to do. Not guilty your honour: it's common to every hotel, so just stick it on a notice in the room.

Dissapointed no Wifi and could have been decorated to look fresher.

No Wifi in my room, could not log on and do my work. Some of the furniture was really old and tired as was the carpet and flooring in the bath room.

Friendliness of staff Breakfast was good Close to station

Bags of character.

Bathrooms could do with an update, very 1980s Avacado. Floorboards squeaky.

Bags of character. Central Location. Helpful friendly staff. Nice and clean.

Good

The TV was not working in room 24 but as I was only staying the one night and went to bed early it was not necessary. I left early next morning so was unable to relay this to the staff.

1. Good breakfast.

The wifi is not available in rooms.

1. Good breakfast. 2. Nice staff. 3. Possibility to keep my luggage in the hotel for a few hours even after check out. 4. Tea/coffee equipment in rooms. 5. Close to a train station.

There are better hotels but also worse hotels.

No available plug sockets in the room to charge devices, water did not warm up so had to have a cold shower.

Bed was comfortable, staff very warm and friendly.

Railway Hotel -old style!

Nothing. Ten minute walk to town centre but no problem for me.

Very good old style 'railway hotel' next to the train station (Bank Quay) friendly staff, good bar, full English breakfast

Very happy with every aspects of our stay, looking forward to staying at the Patten Arms Hotel again

The room were was of a good size. The beds bigger than expected and very comfortable. The bathroom was bigger than expected, very clean and well appointed.

Lovely one day stay, good experience!

Very dated & tired hotel requires an update, but hence the price, but excellent location for the theatre and a shopping trip to Golden Square Shopping Centre. Previously we have stayed at a 'so called' 'Boutique Hotel' in Yorkshire and the staff have been miserable and our room was the size of a shoe box and was very overpriced!! The Patten hotel could teach them a thing or two about courtesy & friendliness!!

Staff were extremely helpful, polite and friendly, hotel was lovely and warm and toasty, our bedroom was extremely clean, lovely white crisp sheets and big fluffy towels, tea & coffee facilities, modern tv, fantastic location for the theatre & the train station, and a really nice tasty breakfast !!! The Manager was a lovely cheery man as were all the staff, even helped us to the door nearest to the car park when the snow was falling outside!!! A little gem of a hotel!!!

Cheap stay

It's an old building with all that entails There are other problems, but for the price you can't complain.

Great central location with carpark.

ok for one night stay but not a holiday stay

no hot water or CH from time of arrival 2.30 until 7.00 next morning

comfy bed didn't find the croissants CHECK OUT GOOD and luggage security after check out very good.

The location is great, you can easily walk to the town...

The room walls are thin and you would pick up any noise from neighboring rooms. No lift, so if you carrying heavy luggage be prepared for some workout.

The location is great, you can easily walk to the town center, the staff is welcoming, the room is clean, and they offer a good breakfast.

Wont be going back

very run down, in desperate need of a good clean, very noisey floorboards, I could hear the room above whenever they moved, the sink in the bath room was small and unilt, the light switch in the room was faulty and required pressing several times to work, and the batteries in the TV remote were dead.

free parking, large screen TV

Born in Warrington. I travelled for a family funeral. Logical place to stay.

The creaky floors. They did give character but were rather loud at night.

Convieniace to railway station. (I travelled by train). My son travelled by car (easy perking).

Just what we needed, just a place to stay.

Only thing I could really complain about would be in the morning getting water out of the cold tap it came out slightly warm.

The location is Quay, that's a rubbish play on words. It's directly opposite a train station. It's on the outskirts of town. Getting places on foot isn't hard. The hotel is outdated but for a cheap and cheerful hotel we didn't go for the decor. The staff were very friendly.

Lovely staff but hotel could do with an upgrade

Cold shower in the evening we arrived. Room a little cold. One bed very uncomfortable. All flooorboards throughout Hotel squeaked !

Friendly staff. Good food and drink.

Good hotel in an ideal position to the station. A very enjoyable visit.

Everything was fine. Breakfast could have been improved even further with the addition of a fruit cocktail and peach selection.

First class breakfast. A superb way to start the day. How helpful all of the staff were, nothing seemed too much trouble for them. The hotel was so good I have booked it when I return in January.

excellent would use again

lots of creaky floorboards

great location, very close to town. breakfast was just what we needed. Full English. Bedroom nice and comfy, warm and clean.

Travelled here for a funeral, very disappointed in the accommodation

The rooms were very dated and the bathrooms were in desperate need of updating. Cracked bath surround battered sink cupboard dirty carpet in bedroom no headboard on bed. When out walking the area outside the hotel a dead rat was lying on the path at the side of the hotel. Not a pleasant sight. Not an easy location to find somewhere to eat out.

The bedding and towels were fresh and clean.

Reasonable for the money. Must have been fabulous once but it looks (and sounds) a bit tired now.

The shower didn't heat up. Not even lukewarm! The bed wasn't that comfortable. The breakfast was nice but not hot enough. Waited a long time for food in the bar. Everywhere creaks! Disturbed by people moving about in adjoining rooms/corridors with the creaking.

Great location for events at Parr Hall. The room was OK. Liked the hairdryer and USB sockets in the room. The cooked breakfast tasted nice.

Thank you, we shall be back!!

There was nothing to not like

The staff were so helpful and friendly, very relaxed atmosphere in the bar. The hotel is being decorated, which other reviews have commented on that it needs updating, but it didn't bother our party, we had a single, twin and double room and all very clean, which is important to me. It is a very big traditional building with a lot of character. Breakfast was good and again staff were lovely. Thank you for making our stay enjoyable.

Nothing was too much to ask.

Hot water took a little while to run through. Patience is rewarded

Nothing was too much to ask. Extremely helpful friendly engaging staff at all levels

The hotel is dated however it adds to the charm.

For the price it is what it is. All in all good value for money

The hotel is dated however it adds to the charm. It was clean comfortamble and the staff where polite and helpful

Handy for Contractors not looking anything fancy or someone looking for a cheap overnight stay

Food was mediocre- especially Breakfast - by 8 a.m. the buffet breakfast was not particularly warm & the eggs had dried out. In our room the Smart TV had no signal so were unable to use. The bathroom window did not shut properly so was extremely cold.

It was handy location

Basic

Room smelt of cigarette smoke. Decor very dated. Facilities poor and wifi only at reception. Wouldn't say it was worth the money I paid.

Friendly staff and nice breakfast

Nice location

The hotel needs a complete refurbish. Had to move room as the first room there was wet leaking in from the roof. The second room the bed was not comfortable. The hot water was limited to the boiler timer. So last night no shower. There was no evening meals as no kitchen staff.

Friendly Staff at reception. Who had to multi task. Running front desk and serving at the bar at night.

Very tasty English breakfast.

The room was informed that the restaurant accepts orders until 20:15. I arrived at 20 and the lady at the front desk told me the restaurant is already closed.

Very tasty English breakfast.

Good place to stay, great location

WiFi didn't work properly in our bedroom. A bit noisy during the night

Staff was nice and helpful. Very good breakfast. Our room was very clean. Good location, as it is close to the centre and to a train station

Been before, will come again

Really can't tghink of anything

I loved the Meal that I had around tea-time, the steak was excellent value and very tasty trimmings. The station was absolutely handy for the hotel and this is why I'd hopefully -continually book your hotel. The room was lovely and warm, consistent hot water.

All in all my stay was excellent.

Quiet area, friendly and helpful staff, very comfortable. A few minutes walk from the town centre and the Parr Hall that I was visiting for a show that night.

An older hotel but spotlessly clean and with friendly staff and a good English breakfast to set you up for the day.

Excellent location for my needs - opposite Bank Quay train station and about 300 metres from the Parr Hall which was the venue which I was visiting and the Pyramid which is on the same road. It's only around the same distance on to the shopping centre.

It was conveniently located, just across the road from bank quay, for a short stay it met my needs.

The shower head could be improved and perhaps wi-if in the room itself.

The room was quite clean, it seemed freshly painted, carpet was relatively new, the location was superb for my trip. Staff were extremely helpful, breakfast was plentiful with a good choice. Able to get an evening meal, and tea/coffee making facilities. I stayed in a single room.

Not worth the money, despite the staff, would not come back.

The carpet in the room was dirty and stained, dust on furniture, mattress was old and tired. Very noisy doors and people coming in drunk in early hours of morning despite it being a Monday and Tuesday, got very little sleep. Also the windows are old single glazed so you get traffic noise and car alarms from the nearby car park.

Staff were great, helpful and friendly, and the onsite parking was fine. Breakfast wasn't bad.

It was adequate for a short 2night stay but I would not return.

The hotel was very old fashioned and needs alot of refurbishment. Carpets very stained and old. Floorboards creak terribly. Bathroom was awful. Lino was lumpy and bathroom suite a horrible green colour. Also overwhelming smell of urine from the bathroom.

The staff were friendly

Working in Warrington and staying beside the station

Climbing stairs with 2 bags and my suit carrier - probably an age thing as I'm 63 now.

Staff are lovely, helpful and chatty when you ask a question. Rooms are large (make sure you get a double, not a single) with a good shower (very important when working away)

Great budget hotel.

Only negative if it could be called that because of the late warm autumn weather and the heating on room was a bit on the warm side but window open solved that but being near the station and with us coming from rural Cornwall little bit noisy but would stay again

Great budget hotel. Excellent value for money with great staff and as it had recently had a lick of paint clean and tidy.

Noisy hotel.

If your an insomniac then this place is for you, all night door slams, creaking floorboards, disappointing as place is OK.

Friendly staff, close facilities

Great stay to discover Northwest-England

The hotel is in walking distance to the city's town and also a good point of origin, if you want to explore the surrounding area by car. The staff is very nice and obliging. Also the included on-site parking is quite comfortable. The hotel serves typical english breakfast including beans, sausages, eggs, toast, jam and cornflakes as well as tea or coffee.

Nice place, great staff, excellent breakfast, shame about the paint smell though.

I struggled to sleep as my room literally stank of fresh paint, the fumes were pretty bad and i was glad to need the toilet to escape the smell, but apart from this it was pretty good.

Staff were very good and the bar had a good selection, the food was pretty good and quite reasonable but there could have been more of it. on the other hand breakfast was very very good, 10/10 for that.

More tired when we left than when we arrived

Floor creaking non stop if you go to the toilet during the night you would wake your partner it was so bad plus the noise of the traffic (ambulances with sirens going, trains all night )they need secondary glazing

Basic but clean , beds were good