Reviews of Peterborough Marriott Hotel 4 stars

Peterborough Business Park, Lynch Wood, Peterborough, PE2 6GB, United Kingdom

#6 of 14 hotels in Peterborough

4.9

Nice clean room and a good night's sleep.

Had dinner at the restaurant. A 12.5% service charge was added to the bill yet a gratuity slot was still shown on the receipt which I had to sign. Needs to be clearer.

Clean room, big bed.

I enjoyed my stay at the Mariott.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Nothing. Maybe a bit far from town centre. I only chose to stay there because the event I was attending was supposed to be held there.

Everything was good. I only stayed for one night. Free parking.

The bed was amazingly comfy!
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

the shower was a little old and water would squirt out in different directions.

The bed was amazingly comfy! really like the leisure centre as well!! really nice stay. i will definitely be recommending to a friends and family and also staying again!

A useful stopping off pont.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Three attempts to get the room keys to work. The bed was very ‘lumpy’ No vinegar for fish and chips. The bar was a bit pricey.

Reception staff very friendly. Good access for disabled.

Comfortable stay
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The room was tired looking and need of refurbishment. Air conditioning leaked and the ceiling was damp due to it.

The location was perfect for us. Staff very friendly and helpful. Great parking and food was good.

Nice but a couple of touches could make it great
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Having to pay for Wifi seems a bit outdated, particularly at an expensive hotel. No fridge in the room.

Enjoyed the gym plus pool. Room was nice and slept well. Food in the restaurant plus breakfast was good and nice sports bar to watch the world cup.

Great location for where we needed to be, but wouldn't stay otherwise
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Surly, unhelpful receptionist. Poor description of food, resulting in us overordering (luckily, the waiter cocked the order up & we didn't get the extras we had ordered). Hit by 12.5% service charge when checking out - in a hurry so didn't notice it. Normally the restaurant staff warn us.

Ok stay

The toilet wasn't very clean The bed was two singles put together with with a quilt over the top but you could feel the join. Looks very posh in the reception but not when in rooms and walk round the ground. Swimming pool looks alot bigger in the pictures.

Overall good experience
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

My only bugbear was the food. I dined for one night of my two night stay and found it almost inedible. However I informed the desk manager when I checked out and he apologised profusely and removed from my bill. Good service and I wouldn't let it put me off rebooking, I suppose everyone has an off day and if necessary there are good pubs a short distance from the hotel.

Spacious clean room with comfortable bed, good bathroom facilities and complimentary toiletries. Plenty of storage space for case, clothing etc and good sized room safe. Well stocked tea/coffee making area. Large TV with remote, good lighting and air con. Was worried about the £6 per hour Wifi room charge but was advised to sign up for Marriott rewards, which includes free Wifi so was not billed, impressed!

Cast iron pork!
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The food in cast iron grill. Very poor inedible offerings. Cold starter tough ribs with lukewarm thick gloop to disguise grisly fat! Pork chop cold again! Tough, tasteless inedible. Offered a free dessert. Chose mouse which was hard? N like thick butter. Sent back n went to bed hoping breakfast would be better; wrong! Hot food was yes , you guessed it....cold!:told hot plate was too low . was saved however by young lad on omelette duty..thank you. Bedroom ok , clean n tidy n all you need but whole place is lacking ambiance.

Comfortable room, friendly staff, great breakfast

No mini bar / fridge in the room but the ice machine was good Check in took a long time

Fantastic selection at breakfast, great sized room and comfortable bed

Nice stay but ruined by theft on premises.

Theft!!!

Went to the Marriott the night of my wedding.. went out in the morning for food and our room was cleaned.. upon cleaning £100 of vouchers given as a gift in 3 separate cards was stolen from the room on the tv unit.. the cleaner was questioned and said she thought it was rubbish and put in the compactor which could not be accessed to check.. the hotel manager was involved and said unless you have the receipts there’s nothing we can do!!. Well I think the words wedding gift would explain that I am not likely to have a receipt.. absolutely disgusted by the cleaner and the way management handled the situation

Good range of food for breakfast but fruit salad...
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Food and drinks expensive. Spa tub very poor. Were fortunate that children's swim lessons cancelled on Saturday morning as we didn't know there are normally ones every Saturday.

Good range of food for breakfast but fruit salad disappointing.

I only used it to wash and sleep in, so it was adequate, but I’d expect better from a Marriot.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

There was a damp smell as you entered the corridor and I was nervous that I’d be able to smell it in my room. But I couldn’t. The room was comfortable but it annoys me when there is nowhere to plug anything in near your bedside. The bathroom was functional but the shower head wouldn’t stay up the pole and some of the fixings are looking a little tired and there are rotten areas in and around the bath. Room 161.

Perfect, quite hotel very convenient for the East of England show ground
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Dinner at the restaurant. Breakfast on the other hand was excellent.

Nice quiet hotel. Perfect location for anyone racing in the Tour of Cambridgeshire as you can use the spa for the whole day when you check out so great to return for a shower.

Would not recommend unless closeness to showground is your only priority.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Old soap in bathroom when we arrived . Total lack of replenishment of toiletries had to go to reception twice . Bad service re food at the Bar - long wait , food came cold , bad service , had to get them to deduct from meal price it was so bad . Complained on both nights .

Close to the East of England Showground which was where we needed to be .

Excellent location for event i was attending, but bar/restaurant staff let place down.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Staff in bar and restaurant would seriously need to take a look at themselves... Shuffling glasses from one side of the bar to the other or tapping on the till while waiting to place a food or drink order... Having a captive audience may be one thing, but neglecting them is inexcusable. Realistically if there were another bar or restaurant nearby by, we would have gone there.... The Breakfast room "concierge" was very gruff, we seemed to be an inconvenience to him. Air conditioning in the room was broken for the 1st night and was close to 40 degrees in the room... Mentioned it to receptionist the following day and we got moved to a new room, many thanks for that..

I omitted to book breakfast through Booking.com and was offered it at £13 per person at check in, which i think is a little high. If i had have waited until the morning it would have cost £16..

Lovely staff and rooms.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Only piece of advice I would offer is the to be aware of the pre-authorisation fee! We were not, so ended up having to fork out and additional £100 for our stay, which still hasn't been refunded to us yet!

Fantastic hotel, very clean and comfortable. Would recommend!

Would certainly recommend the hotel and wouldn't hesitate to book with Marriott again.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Shower head kept slipping down/didn't hold in place. A little inconvenient.

All staff with whom we came into contact were efficient, pleasant and helpful; 3 course set meal very good value as well as delicious. Huge choice of items at breakfast - would suit every taste.

Great staff
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The place is expensive, and events at the local show ground force the prices even higher

This hotel is in the heart of the Peterborough business district. It has lovely grounds and some of the best staff I have encountered in many years of hotel visits.

We were told at reception that we didn't need to book a...

We were told at reception that we didn't need to book a table for dinner we could just head down later and be seated on arrival. We went to the restaurant at half 8 and we're told it was fully booked and we couldn't have a table. Instead we had to sit in the bar area which was full of people drinking so it wasn't a very relaxing meal which we had hoped for. I booked a king size room and was disappointment by the "king size bed" was 2 single mattresses pushed together which during the night kept separating leaving a big gap in the middle of the bed. Not very comfortable.

The breakfast was lovely, plenty of car parking, staff were...
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The shower was either boiling hot or freezing there was no way to regulate it to be comfortable. There was bits of wallpaper coming off the wall in the room.

The breakfast was lovely, plenty of car parking, staff were very helpful.

Lovely relaxing stay. The breakfast was great. Clean room comfortable beds
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The hotel was lovely it everything you need in one place. Leisure centre, beauty salon, hair salon, bar and restaurant and located in a good position to get around.

Not many options round here so perhaps bes of bad bunch
    • Superior Queen Room with Sofa Bed

Pretty bland really. Needs a bit of TLC. Bar and restaurant ok but lcking any atmosphere whatsoever. Seating in restaurant all seemed worn through. small pool, needed a clean.

Parking is easy

Was really only there for the bed, so can't comment on much
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

I booked in quite late, and when I asked about breakfast as I was leaving very early, I was only told about the standard times. So I was really annoyed on coming downstairs at 6:30AM the next morning , to find that an early hot breakfast had been arranged, which was now too late for me to take advantage of. Poor communication at the front desk!

Very comfortable bed and pillows. In a lovely quiet location

The hotel is in a ideal location for the showground. Enjoyed the facilities. Breakfast great
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

I requested a bed for my 13 year old son . There was a travel cot in the room. Then had to pay £15 per night. The toilet didn’t flush properly. Reported and wasn’t sorted before we checked out.

The facilities were good and the breakfast was a vast selection

Nice hotel to stay with a family.
    • Superior Queen Room with Sofa Bed

Despite the normal statement about reducing the washing of towels, there was no place to hang the towels so we could use them again. The towel rail above the bath was not sufficient, but there was plenty of room in the bathroom to have other towel rails. Also no where to hang coats again despite room on the wall in the entrance for coat hangers.

Good leisure facilities. Breakfast was very good, staff were helpful.

Bar staff didn’t have a clue what certain drinks were or how...
    • Queen Room with Sofa Bed

Bar staff didn’t have a clue what certain drinks were or how to make them, I had to wait 15 minuets for a drink and then they asked me how to make it. Very poor

Rubbish in over priced
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Spiders in the room. Very outdated room. Telephone in room was not working. Mentioned it but they did not offer to fix it No lift to first floor. Had to carry upstairs. Don't even have staff to offer to help. When checking out was asked how the stay was. Told all problems and staff just said thank you for letting us know and will let her managers know. Sounded like robot as I am sure she has heard it before.

The outside area was very green

Very close to East of England Showground
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Pillows were awful, very hard and uncomfortable, gave us both neck ache and caused difficulty sleeping. We didn't enjoy the bar food but any problems were quickly put right by staff who were excellent. The changing facilities in the pool area only had two showers. I was very unlucky, there were two women in them, chatting and taking ages, totally obvious that others may we waiting. I had to just sit outside, getting cold for 10 minutes. I didn't want to go back to the pool in case someone else jumped in.......not the hotels fault, shame people can be so shelfish and spoil it for others!

Very close to East of England Showground

As stated above, i have never given a bad review to any hotel before this, Sorry, but have to tell y
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

We found the beds very hard and the pillows not good either. Couldn't reach the towels,up far too high for me.Only one armchair in room. On arriving i tried the bedside lamps, only one side worked, i telephoned reception who said the bulb would be replaced, however it wasn't so i took the bulb out and left it with a polite note asking for a new one. It still wasn't replaced when we left yesterday. Very,very disappointed with the hotel, wish we had booked into a Premier Inn or Travel Lodge.

The Staff were very good

good hotel, good staff.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

restaurant food good and bad - one day, perfect, the next had to send it back as cold!

breakfast is excellent as is the leisure facility. Couldnt fault the staff - very friendly and helpful

Overall good apart from above note
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

There was no mini fridge in bedroom and water bottles could not take medicine as too far away from restaurant or bar and no Lifts for my old parents staying there too

Great place the bar was a bit expensive for snacks and not much variety

Great spa hotel,
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

People putting towels on sunbeds & not even using spa probably till much later , so no beds. Think management should keep an eye on this. Pool not very big for swimming.

Clean room, comfy bed, great rate of £69 with lovely breakfast fri stay prebooked 3 days before, large tv, spa, lovely breakfast. Quick easy check in, like late check out 12pm

Very quite,peaceful, natural,view of park etc
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Internet is not provided ad free. Most 4,5 star hotels in uk and resort they give free access internet This was the only one inconvenient things

Very quite,peaceful, natural,view of park etc

The staff where very helpful and kind, having told them that...
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The bath could do with replacing as it was rusting around the tap

The staff where very helpful and kind, having told them that it was my birthday they prepared a plate of cake and fruit. The breakfast was excellent

Great staff and food!
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The hotel is old fashioned so it needs some renovation.

The bed is super comfortable, staff is friendly and the food from the restaurant is really good.

Quality escape at low cost.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Hotel far too hot, both in the corridors and the room. A/c only blew 'cool' air - something which appears to be a trend amongst hotels - cost savings? Resulted in an uncomfortable night.

Have stayed at this hotel previously, and will again. Smooth and speedy check-in. First time we've had breakfast tho', and thoroughly enjoyed - wide variety of good quality fare. Pool was especially enjoyable in the evening, with the dimmed lighting - and it was warm!

Place is great ,but they need a better chef.....
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The evening meal was average but I asked for no mustard dressing which they served 2 nights running.the first night they ran out of lamb,,,custard for desert..Second ,night my two friends had finished their main course before ours had arrived...service was very slow..2 hours each night...

Staff we're friendly and courteous.

no free wifi, £100 deposit (debited from my debit card) and...
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

no free wifi, £100 deposit (debited from my debit card) and not returned to my card or in cash when I checked out .. also not mentioned in literature , not happy !

Excellent hotel
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Bath room could do with maintenance especially leaky shower hose pipe.

Very good hotel, excellent breakfast, good car parking facility & very helpful staff.

would recommend
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Once we got there we were told breakfast could be taken from 6am. If we had been contacted before we would have arranged to have breakfast at the hotel not bring our own

its ideal location for the antiques fair

Comfortable and at a good price
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Not much to do unless you can go to the gym .

The room had plenty of room, as I'm not to good on my legs I need the room to move about without falling over things in the way so I was very happy with the room size.

I like the opening times of leisure facilities and the times...
    • Superior Queen Room with Sofa Bed

our room wasn't ready when we arrived at the hotel when we did get to the room a dirty tray was outside. Wasn't moved until late in the evening after we complained. We asked for two dressing robes for our room none were ever brought to us. We also ordered room service the chicken mayo bloomer which I was disappointed with as it was just thin sliced white bread I would expect for £7.50 better quality.

I like the opening times of leisure facilities and the times of breakfast

Two points mentioned above cast a bit of a cloud over an otherwise good stay.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Being charged for the internet. In this day and age, really ! Also asked for the house wine in the bar and was given a premium price wine costing £4 a glass more. My fault for not checking but......

Good choice at breakfast.

The proximity to showground and room good. Would eat out if went again.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The restaurant was overpriced and the food choice not very good. The service was slow although the staff were all helpful and friendly and tried there best. The meal on our first night was ok however the second night was awful and we were served the wrong meals that we couldn't eat as they did not taste nice so had nothing to eat as we had already waited a long time for the meals to arrive!

The bedroom was large clean and the bed comfortable. The furnishings looked new so very happy with the room.

The staff was wonderful and very welcoming and the breakfast!
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The only thing that bothered me was the fact there were no slippers and robes in the rooms and also that you could only use their Wifi if you had not booked direct with themselves! If not it’s a daily £10.00 charge

The staff was wonderful and very welcoming and the breakfast! It may seem a little pricey! The staff offer it at £13 per person in check in but it is beautiful! It’s a buffet breakfast with practically everything you could want! The kitchen staff should be proud of it as it was delicious just wish I could have eaten more...

Spoiled by non existent room service
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Room service needs to be looked at. Two hours waiting and response from reception "well it is busy in the restaurant ". Followed by "do you still want your order". If room service is not available it would be better to say just that rather than ignoring guests. It was a shame because your hotel would of received excellent.

The hotel was very clean with spacious rooms.

Bed was comfy, room a little dated, Wi-Fi is £15 extra
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Internet is £15 a day extra. Who would like that?

Stayed for business and Wi-Fi wasn't included. I can't even remember the last time I had to pay for internet access when staying away for work. It's not good when Mcdonalds has better facilities than your hotel. Food was OK but pricey for what it was. Breakfast was a buffet and rooms are slightly dated. Staff were friendly.

Overall fine, staff were helpful and friendly. Food was good.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The duvet was very thin and I did not sleep so well the first two nights. The third night I pulled it out and doubled it over which made it better.

Generally comfortable and the pool etc. was very welcome. The gym is quite small but adequate.

Disappointing!
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

rooms very dated, the room I was given ( 274)there was a humming noise & vibration that kept me awake, I complained & was moved to another room

gym & spa great

Very relaxing - food is great and service is superb.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The service from the staff is outstanding. Nothing is too much trouble. This is the 2nd time we have stayed at the Marriott in Peterborough and the waiter in the restaurant remembered us from our previous visit which was so lovely. The rooms are spotless and the Spa is clean and relaxing

We chose this hotel for the swimming pool but the pool was...
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

We chose this hotel for the swimming pool but the pool was being used for children's swimming lessons all of Saturday. We came back late in the evening and wanted to order room service from the 24 hour menu, our phone was not working so we had to go down to reception where we were then told someone could quickly make a ham and cheese sandwich and that the menu was not actually 24 hours. There was also no water in the room which had been advertised. Disappointing as we were only staying one night.

Big surprise for debit card holders, mouldy bathtub, was expecting better.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

loads of mould in bathroom, tiles laid terribly, heating only with A/C which was noisy. It was booked by company but they asked for private card details and since I only had debit cards they told me they would have to take money from account and return it in 3-4 days.

View from window, room size, large TV

Not 100% sure it's worth the £160+ I paid but options were very limited
    • Queen Room with Sofa Bed

Breakfast, whilst lots of it and well stocked, the scrambled eggs were dry and mushrooms a little greasy

Bed was comfy Reception staff were very polite Breakfast staff were mostly attentive (one could have smiled a bit more) but they were welcoming and very professional.

Though very comfortable; some maintenance niggles for the price tag £100+ per night.
    • Queen Room with Sofa Bed

As above: Maintenance has to be improved for the price tag.

Very comfortable, approachable staff and comfortable. Value for money reduced because of some maintenance needs.

Staff are excellent, attentive and friendly. Having stayed before though; maintenance needs show.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The Marriot is starting to show its age. While the tech is great; wifi, interactive media, etc. maintenance needs are noticeable. Cracks in ceilings, broken hooks. Although niggles, this is a £100+ a night hotel, an these are not acceptable in that context.

Breakfast is very generous, with no limits; though you do pay a good price too.

We had a long way to travel to
    • Superior Queen Room with Sofa Bed

after I had booked I found out that the spa facilities were not on over the weekend. As I had booked this as a birthday present for my daughter I was extremely disappointed.

Steam room
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Dinner food was not that great Room was very far away Extra blanket I ordered was not the right size for the bed nor was it properly fitted in a sheet cover. Strange!!

Steam room Breakfast Staff

relaxed informal atmosphere for weekend break
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Nice restaurant but was not happy with the noise and drafts from the bar through the screens.

Lovely room with everything we needed. Very relaxed informal atmosphere

Amazing
    • Queen Room with Sofa Bed

Booking.com Failed to mention the security deposit in the hotel policies, I know for in future but booking.com need to fix this

Friendly staff, Great service, Quiet remote location, Was perfect for our valentines get away. Room service was amazing polite and staff available 24/7

Poor

When booking i was not told there would be a wedding. We got woken several times due to people shouting and a big fight broke out which scared my little girl. We did not get much sleep and my daughter had a cheerleading competition.

Overall, very good.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Good rooms; only little thing: locks are noisy, so neighors who leave their rooms at 6AM will unavoidably wake you up.... Not close to town, but quiet and good priced.

Good Staff, Decent food, Neat, clean, good taste deco.

Review
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Can't say theirs anything we didn't like about the property, we was very happy with our stay and would definitely stay again! Could do with a smokers hut instead of just standing in bad weather.

I like where it is & how peaceful the place is.

Excellent. Will be staying there again soon!
    • Queen Room with Sofa Bed

The power-cut in the evening! Nobody's fault and the staff acted very professionally and kept everyone well informed and calmed the situation. Fortunately, the power was restored very quickly.

Stayed in the Queen sized room. Plenty of space to work at the desk. Bathroom very clean, shower was lovely and hot. Bed very comfortable. Excellent breakfast. Only stayed the one night but would stay again.

Very polite, knowledgable and professional staff
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Only heating in the form of a ventilator blowing warm air into the room, which let the room get too cold during night time as leaving the ventilator on wasn't an option for me. To be fair I could have asked for an additional blanket, but as I only arrived after mid-night I just wanted to ask and did not bother to go to or call reception.

Very polite, knowledgable and professional staff

The breakfast was delicious and cooked brilliantly, the...

Nothing it's all as I hoped it would be

The breakfast was delicious and cooked brilliantly, the rooms are spacious and the pillows are so comfy and soft

Room was comfy, good choice of breakfast items although needed a bit more cooking on hot items.
    • Queen Room with Sofa Bed

Items were not stocked up in room ie toilet rolls, sugar for tea and coffee. No glasses available for cold drinks at breakfast and had to request these

Room was clean

We were on a mission, so had to put up with things not quite right.
    • Queen Room with Sofa Bed

Breakfast The Grill Restaurant. The place is very dark, I call it the "Bat Cave", I would prefer more day light, but then we would all see it is desperate for a refurbishment!!!!!!!!!! The Hot buffet is not always hot, as we found out this visit, and staff were not quick to show up to cook eggs etc. The pastries were cold, as was some to the food at the hot plate. Different staff from the last time we stayed when Restaurant service was perfect.

This stay the bed was comfy, but the way the beds are made is not always so good.

Good value for money
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Pillows in the room are extremely uncomfortable didn't have a great sleep at all. We also found a massive brown stain on the bed sheets..

Staff are very friendly and facilities and great.

Great for a family short stay while visiting relatives in Peterborough. Pool was lovely and breakfas
    • Superior Queen Room with Sofa Bed

Hook on the back of the bathroom door was no use as towels slid off it Pillows too flat for my preference

Staff responded to a problem with the hairdryer (operator errror!) very quickly

Could do better
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

My room was not fully cleaned, the TV wasn't working properly and the iron was missing. Shower had mold on the tiles. Bar staff rude. Not a good stay

Comfortable bed and pillows. Pool and gym good.

Really nice hotel, has a good feel about it, will come back
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Really friendly staff, it was a busy time of year, New Year’s Eve, but everyone I spoke to was pleasant and had a smile on their face. Breakfast was good, room was clean. Particularly liked the hotel cat Arnie!

Still waiting for management to contact me regarding negative points above :-(
    • Queen Room with Sofa Bed

Had to pay for breakfast, although "breakfast included" had misleadingly been stated when booking on website. Bedding for sofa bed had been requested when booking, but was not provided until requested. Note that there is no lift to first floor bedrooms, so specify when booking, if required.

Spacious, well equipped room. Nice public spaces suitable for informal or formal get togethers.

We enjoyed our stay
    • Queen Room with Sofa Bed

The room and bathroom decor will need updating soon for a Superior

We needed somewhere to stay while visiting family for Christmas. It suited us well.