Reviews of Plaza on the River 5 stars

18 Albert Embankment, Lambeth, London, SE1 7TJ, United Kingdom

#201 of 1,490 Holiday rentals in London

• Deluxe King Room with River View

The only let down was that we tried repeatedly to phone down to reception to speak to them, as there was no robe in the room, but the call kept going unanswered. We went to reception but again it was unmanned. We eventually gave up and made do. This did not detract from our experience though.

Alejandro, one of the members of staff needs to be specially complimented for his customer service. It was a special occasion for me and my husband and he added to our great experience. Overall the hotel, the amenities, the meals in the restaurant and the entertainment was impressive. We would love to return.

• One-Bedroom Apartment River View (2 Adults)

Booked an apartment with a kitchen but was down graded to one without. Told it was in the small print. No communication from management despite trying to contact them and Booking.com getting involved. Finally given compensation on checkout but a special anniversary which they were aware of, was totally ruined.

The view was exceptional

• One-Bedroom Apartment River View (2 Adults)

Their room description on Booking.com is confusing. We are a family of six people with 3 adults and 3 kids .l had booked one deluxe room and one room apartment with fully equipped kitchen as per their offer on mobile version of Booking.com,and I requested that the two rooms to be next door to each other or at least to be at the same floor. At the time of check in l was chocked that the apartment that I had didn’t have any kitchen it’s more or less like the deluxe room that I booked,and when l complained to them their reply was very tricky and I had been told this room is classified under apartment room type!! And according to them that there is a note on their page on Booking.com indicating that kitchen is subjected to availability which was totally untrue at least on mobile version of Booking.com. Other thing the tow room wasn’t at the same floor as I requested but instead I got one in the 14th floor and the other in 5th floor which gave a very hard time to take care of my kids.

Clean modern good location

• Deluxe King Room with River View

The air con didn’t work properly and we had to have an engineer out twice over the 2 nights

The bed was large and comfortable, the bath deep and lavish, mood lighting made it feel warm and the river view was beautiful

• Studio (3 Adults)

The view from our window was awful: just a space surrounded by more windows

The restaurant was excellent with amazing views and a balcony to take photos or sit and relax . Staff were pleasant and helpful. Breakfast was lovely with every thing you could think of to eat.

• Studio (2 Adults)

The check in is easy with a a sit down desk. The room was the largest in London we have stayed in! Great for a family. The bed was very comfortable. The room was clean and well equipped with a little kitchen and Nespresso machine (6 pods provided which included 2 decaf). The bathrooms were clean and mould free. Breakfast was fantastic and Ghislaine (?) offered amazing service. A real credit to the hotel. We were visiting the American embassy and this was a 15 minute walk away. Ideal.

• One-Bedroom Apartment River View (2 Adults)

Had booked a one bedroom with Kitchen-net, due to unavailability of selected room had to adjust with a smaller room.

Beautiful river view rooms, pleasant stay

• 2-Bedroom Apartment (5 adults)

THE KITCHEN AREA WOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER WITH A TOASTER & A OVEN.

Beautiful room, spacious,light & airy, fantastic view over the Thames.Large balcony. Clean comfortable, staff welcoming & helpful.

• One-Bedroom Apartment River View (3 Adults)

Bath towels and amenities were set only for 2 persons whereas we were a party of 3. Despite our repeated requests, they made the same mistake again. The room was not properly cleaned.

The view of Thames was spectacular.

All good!

The staff were so friendly and helpful. Everyone at the hotel went out of their way to make our stay comfortable and memorable. Breakfast was excellent. I am gluten intolerant and they accommodated my food allergies with no problems

• One-Bedroom Apartment River View (2 Adults)

Need to pay for valet parking otherwise no parking on site.

Fantastic view. Great location. Great staff. Requested a travel cot and highchair and they are ready to use when we checked in.

• Deluxe King Room with River View

The hotel was smart, modern, stylish and everything you'd come to expect from a 5 star. We were upgraded to a room with a view of Big Ben and the London Eye for free! This should have cost £45 extra. The staff were fantastic and couldn't do enough to help. Would highly recommend this hotel!

• Studio (2 Adults)

Requested a room for disabled guests as stated on your site but the apartments do not have accessible bathrooms for wheelchairs and do not have grab rails around toilet, shower. Requested a shower seat but it never materialised.

Great location. Small apartments but contain kitchen with microwave, dishwasher, fridge. Very comfy bed with lovely bed linen and fluffy towels.

• Deluxe King Room with River View

The Executive Suite breakfast was one of the best hotel breakfasts I've had (and I've stayed in a lot of hotels). It even had a nice view. The food was quite good with good variety and the staff was very pleasant and helpful.

• Studio (3 Adults)

Air conditioning could have been a little colder when set all the way down. It was a little more stuffy in the room than what we were use to. Thanks to my own personal fan we managed to get thru the night.

• Deluxe King Room with River View

We had a situation that we left our mobile in the Uber on the way to the hotel. The staff went far and beyond any expectation and stayed in it until with their help we secured the return of the phone. Very caring and comforting at this very stressful one and half hour.

• Deluxe King Room with River View

Only one small bottle of water in the room. Would be better if there were two considering the price of the room and that 2 guests were booked in.

Everything was so clean, the staff were all very helpful - couldn’t fault it.

• Studio (3 Adults)

When asking for bags that had been stored by hotel , 1 of the helpers was quite rude to my father in law and I which was so disappointing as other members of the front desk were extremely helpful

Fantastic position. Reception area very clean and spacious. Rooms were excellent!

• Studio (2 Adults)

We didn't have robes in our room or slippers, which our family in a different room did.

Fantastic stay, we had a room upgrade and our view and the room itself were incredible

• Deluxe King Room with River View

The room was incredible! Amazing views over the Thames. Not for the faint hearted if you're scared of heights though! We got a brilliant last minute deal, staff were very friendly. Very handy for Waterloo (5-10 minute taxi) Will definitely be back!

• Deluxe King Room with River View

Room so close to breakfast room. Noisy in the morning. Not such an issue as we were getting up and out. But if we had wanted a leisurely lie in, it would have been difficult

Staff were so friendly and accommodating.

• Studio (2 Adults)

The welcome at the reception was very nice. Could have given a higher score for the staff but didn't because of the bartenders. It seems the bartenders are not very motivated to work there. I didn't feel welcome at the bar. Showing up at 11am pm with some colleagues I was asked to show my hotel key to prove that I was staying at the hotel. Was it because I wasn't wearing a suit! There were still many guests so I do not see a reason why this was asked. This is a pity because the bar itself (location, view, ...) has a lot of potential.

• Deluxe King Room with River View

The TV didn’t work but the handy man came and reset it within 10minutes.

We thought we was getting a room with a view of Big Ben and London Eye but ended up looking the other way down the Thames. Asked the reception, had none of those rooms but got a pass for the executive lounge that had the view complimentary. Check before you book. The bath was nice and hot too!

• Studio (2 Adults)

I don’t have any negatives

I loved how luxurious it was, I was expecting a lovely room but it was something I haven’t stayed in London before. I’ve stayed in luxury before in Las Vegas but first time in my home town and absolutely loved it

• One-Bedroom Apartment River View (2 Adults)

Cleaning Staff were not thorough... there were dirt here and there after their attempts A particular concierge staff could not arrange for a cab to take us to the airport despite our formal 24hour notice.

The intelligent aspect of the lighting, Air Conditioning and Window Blinds controls.. Bathroom was great same as the Bed....my daughter loved it so much

• Deluxe King Room with River View

Treatment of staff in the executive lounge was exceptional.. shame about the restaurant on the ground floor the staff there was not so helpful..

Loved the location and the staff

• One-Bedroom Apartment River View (2 Adults)

Having already stayed the night here with my girlfriend a month or two back she loved it so much I decided to book 2 more nights here. Upon our arrival our room would have been ready by 2pm and we had got there for about 2:05pm but we were told the room was not ready and would have to wait 20 mins so they could get it ready. We thankfully were given 2 complimentary drinks to pass the time up in the bar and had tea and coffee but nearly an hour later I decided to go down and ask why it was taking so long as we had booked a viewing at the shard for 4pm and were running very short on time we just wanted to get in drop our bags, shower and get ready but once they gave us the room it was the wrong kind of room I had booked. After some back and forth running up and down to ask for the room I had booked we were eventually given access to that room however it was in shabby condition with scratches over the floor in the kitchen area and marks on the carpet and the final nail in the coffin no bath tub :( or mood lighting or electic blinds. We managed to get back into the original room but I cant deny I was left dissapointed in the service this time around especially since our first stay here was faultless! there was alot of messing around but to the credit of the staff member who was manning the reception he did pay for our taxi to the shard.

Our room was on the top floor so we again had a nice view of the river, breakfast was superb as usual. The staff were really helpful and friendly and the atmosphere in the Chino latino bar was great.

• 2-Bedroom Apartment (4 Adults)

The sound proofing in the room was horrendous - we could hear everything from the rooms next door. And the stafff’s attitude was pretty indifferent. Frankly we would never stay there again & it ruined our Easter weekend. Stay at the Park Plaza Westminster instead.

• Deluxe King Room with River View

Was accused of smoking in the room, when I’m not a smoker. Room smelled of cigarette the night I checked in but thought it would have already been noted so didn’t bother telling reception.

• One-Bedroom Suite (3 Adults)

The room was hot and also tired. For the money I paid and how it looked on the website it certainly overpriced. All in all I was left quite disappointed. The room was in need of renovation.

Check-in was speedy and friendly. The room was large and it had elemis toiletries

• Studio (3 Adults)

showers - the water markers are reversed hot for cold and cold for hot. Very hard to get regulated. Not a very strong water pressure either.

The beds were so comfortable. The bedding was very nice and warm. Loved it. The view was the best. Excellent location to see it all!

• Deluxe King Room with River View

The coffee and the fact that the bar was totally shut due to a private function!

Nicoletta in the restaurant went out of her way to help and provide best service to us. We were overjoyed with her attitude and personality. Similarly with Gary the concierge who was very polite and obliging

• One-Bedroom Apartment River View (2 Adults)

Couldn’t draw the curtains completely and the heater was rather noisy but not a big problem

The suite was amazing and the view of the Thames was even better!

• Deluxe King Room with River View

The Awesome Service + Cleanliness of the Apartment. The Magnificent River View. That changes its lights setting throughout the night.Hotel surrounding is full of Luxurious Decorations + Comfortable seating areas. Its a Fabulous place to stay, a Home from Home. I am rebooked to Stay again. Appreciation shown.It's Fits a Senior Citizens pocket for that Mini Stay with you, l felted Secure. Kind regards Appreciation shown. Sina Balogun.

• Deluxe King Room with River View

There was not live music, (i was not informed about it) .They said that it was booked for a private function. Fan extractor noise in the bathroom very loud, the bathroom light was off but the noise did not stop.

• Deluxe King Room with River View

There was quite a lot of dust in the room which was only evident when the curtains were open (the sunlight). This was not a problem too us as the room was otherwise lovely but was definitely something we picked up on!

Everything exceeded our expectations, the view was great, the location was perfect (not too busy/central and not too far out- easy tube down the road with direct victoria line), the bed was comfy (and massive), it was clean and the furnishings were lovely. Checking in and out were with kind staff who made the transactions smooth. Would 100% recommend staying here.

• Studio (2 Adults)

Washroom not working properly Drilling and construction going on which we were not informed at check-in, had to change rooms but still there was noise Heaters /ventilation in room not working

Location and staff

• Deluxe King Room with River View

I stayed here with my girlfriend and everything about the place exceeded expectations. The whole place was crystal clean and everything flowed so well with the decor. The room itself was immaculate and the river side view was just the icing on the cake. From our return of a busy day sight seeing in london we even spent time in the bar upstairs where the ambience was just perfect. I cant wait to bring my Gf back here again in a month or so. The gentleman at reception called Alexjandro was such a great guy he even upgraded our room free of charge! We cannot thank him enough for making us feel so welcome :) and the same can be said for somone called romero who was also incredibly helpful and kind. Keep doing what you guys are doing as its working very well :) Mo,

• One-Bedroom Suite (3 Adults)

The mirrors were dirty otherwise the room was very clean

We had a room on the 13th floor over looking the river Thames and the views were stunning. Stefan provided excellent concierge service and was friendly and helpful. Location is great and was accessible to a lot of places

• Studio (2 Adults)

Very satisfactory place to stay in London. High quality finishing, lots of good staff, beautiful executive lounge with view on the Thames. Easy to get to anywhere in London on foot, cab or tube. Nice lively bar and restaurant choice in Vauxhall.

• 2-Bedroom Apartment (2 Adults)

Currency conversion charged $100 at check-in on a Visa that it is free. Staff no help, Elavon impossible to contact. Scam! Time consuming. Multiple staff were asked for help. Told I have to fix it. Not their problem even though it was their mistake.

• Studio (2 Adults)

If self catering is whT you want then these studios are fine but could do with better cooking facilities. A grocery shop is just 1 minute away, to the right of the hotel entrance or Sainsbury’s and Waitrose a short walk away.

The photos of the studio rooms look much than what they actually are. There was no river view but an internal view of the hotel. Nevertheless, the studio was comfortable enough but could do with some better cooking utilities if you plan to eat in.

• One-Bedroom Apartment River View (2 Adults)

We stayed in one of the refurbished rooms which are top quality. The higher floors have great views, especially overlooking the river Thames. Not one of the pokey little rooms you can often get in London.

• One-Bedroom Apartment River View (3 Adults)

I could not find fault with anything

The room and the view of the River Thames was amazing! The staff could not have been friendlier and helpful. I was really impressed and we had a great stay. The hotel was in a great location and a short walk to lots of attractions. I would definitely recommend this hotel and will be staying again.

• Deluxe King Room with River View

Can’t fault anything really just a little more attention to checkout staff quantity because there was a queue which we didn’t mind but just something to bare in mind as there was only one then someone came to help

from the moment we stepped in we were impressed. Everyone in the front desk looked so friendly and approachable, staff were on the ready to take our bags. The room was spacious clean and just beautiful, the river view was amazing especially in the morning waking up to that view. My partner loved the mood light wall. We’ll definitely be visiting again.

• Studio (2 Adults)

A romantic day was spoilt with engineers trying to fix faulty heating. Which turns out they already knew about before we arrived, yet still booked us into the room. Very disappointed.

Great views of London.

• Studio (2 Adults)

The hotel staff were very pleasant. Gave my daughter a lovely present on arrival which was tea sweet. The location was just beautiful. I had a problem with my room I was moved to another. I felt nothing was too much to ask the staff. I will be staying in this hotel again.

• 2-Bedroom Apartment (5 adults)

Two TVs did not work, the water in the sink took forever to drain, the bed was not very comfortable and we had no aircon, only heating worked, we couldn’t sleep at night as the rooms were so hot. We were also charged for a Vodka in the mini bar which we did not drink so check everything

The rooms were nice with nice big bathrooms.

• One-Bedroom Apartment River View (3 Adults)

The hotel offered an upgrade to be able to view the New year's fireworks so we went for it, despite the increased price, we wanted to enjoy our time there. The problems started when we arrived, the room wasn't ready until 5pm and despite we booked a "One bedroom suite with river views" + upgrade for London Eye views, and asked to have one with a kitchen which was confirmed, the room was half the size of the one we booked and the kitchen was missing. The hotel offered us free breakfast in the executive lounge (25p/each) for all the days which was ok but we felt that we paid too much for what we got. Despite staying in a suite near, literally, to the executive lounge, we couldn't enjoy the benefits of this lounge because you need to pay an extra fee which we think should be included with the price we paid. The room wasn't cleaned like it should be done in a 5* stars hotel, the floor showed a permanently greasy layer. We were three persons in the room (2 adult and a 6yo) and we always got 2 towels, we had to ask for an extra one every day. The breakfast buffet is really short in food offering, definitively a not 5* hotel offer.

Extra comfortable bed which we loved. The sofabed was so so, but enough to rest "well". The room service prices are really ok and the service itself in the level it should be. The guys outside the hotel were really friendly and always willing to help and taking care of you.

• One-Bedroom Apartment River View (3 Adults)

Wrong room given. No kitchen and washing machine as stated on booking.com. Long wait for valet service.

Great break fast. Modern and funky room. Staff very friendly and helpful. Compensated for wrong room being given without having to argue.

• One-Bedroom Suite (3 Adults)

The staff especially the blond (females receptionist were not helpful or even friendly they don't even show you a smile .. they were unfriendly and bad representing for the hotel. They made us wait hours to do checkbinn without even offering or apologizing

The room was nice and comfort

• One-Bedroom Suite (3 Adults)

Attention to detail. Often did not restock tea, coffee, sugar, dishwasher tablets. Set the room up for two, despite the booking being for a party of three. Often had to ask for towels for third person. Room not ready at check in time.

Location, size of room and amenities.

• One-Bedroom Apartment River View (2 Adults)

I think all departments of the hotel were very week . Front office manager was aggressive from the day of check-in and during the stay , she was not really interested in my complains and lied to me saying that she is manager in charge of the hotel ! . Room is bad and the furniture is very old. Location is bad and far from everything House keeping don’t speak English and one time the forgot a huge garbage bags in the middle of my room.

• One-Bedroom Suite (3 Adults)

Two Hungarian ladies Nikoletta at the Executive Lounge and Gabriella at the Reception are amazingly hospitable. They made our stay really enjoyable. Thank you very much!

• One-Bedroom Apartment River View (2 Adults)

Front desk Manager Gabriela was unprofessional and lied to me about room upgrade . This’s only negative thing about this hotel

Appartmet really good! River view!

• One-Bedroom Suite (2 Adults)

We were first given a room where the aircondition were broken. All rooms were extremely hot. An expert tried to fix it but it took 24 h from our checkinn until we were offered a different room

Big windows overlooking the river

• One-Bedroom Apartment River View (3 Adults)

Facilities limited and a very expensive stay but it’s London during Christmas week so nowhere was cheap also dishes left dirty in the dishwasher on arrival but otherwise cleanliness could not be faulted.

Very good location with wonderful views breakfast was excellent and the staff and customer care first class

• 2-Bedroom Apartment (5 adults)

Room service menu a bit ropey and sofa bed was a little uncomfy but okay for a kid

Staff are all great and very helpful and friendly Rooms have great river views and are clean and well appointed - our 2nd visit

• Studio (3 Adults)

Nothing to dislike regarding this booking. We will be back.

Well appointed rooms and very comfortable. The house keeping staff was fast and efficient and reception staff friendly. The concierge was very good with a vast knowledge and a great welcome .

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

• One-Bedroom Apartment River View (2 Adults)

When we first arrived at 15:00 so an hour after we were allowed to book in (I also filled out on site we will be arriving at 14:00) we were told our room wasn’t ready yet, they were helpful in the sense we could leave our bags go out when we come back our bags will be in our rooms and we will receive a key. Unfortunately when we got back got to our room it was not what I booked at all, I showed the worker exactly what I booked and what it said our room will come with, only for him to say we have to write that in the comment section when booking when clearly states on the site the will come with these. Kind of felt like because we was young they wanted to give us a cheaper room and hope we wouldn’t realise. How can a sitting room and bedroom cost the same as a sitting room, bedroom, kitchen, dining room and balcony? We then got told we would have to wait longer for this room!! I explained the only reason I booked this room was for the balcony and kitchen because it clearly stated that was what I was booking.. once we got to the apartment it looked very cosy and stylish. Only problem was all the cutlery was filthy dirty, some stain on the floor by fridge, quite a lot of dust too. Rooms were nice bed was comfy, shower was excellent, views were exceptional and very spacious. On arrival we paid £100 deposit fee too I still haven’t received this money back but will wait a day or two before phoning. Fingers crossed.

The view from the room was the biggest attraction. Entering the building you are greeted with a smile, the reception is stylish and classy. The man who carried our bags was very friendly, welcoming and helpful. The shower was brilliant, very comfy bed, spacious rooms with easy to use heating. Staff were friendly and yeah helpful. Easy to navigate around the building too.

• One-Bedroom Apartment River View (3 Adults)

Great place to stay,all staff friendly & helpful. Lovely apartment, clean & tidy, just a bit warm even when heating turned down, just had to open window. Staff couldn't do enough for you.

• Deluxe King Room with River View

We paid extra for a river view and it was definitely worth it. All the staff were charming, warm, professional - quite possibly the best hotel staff I've ever encountered. Breakfast was excellent.

• Studio (2 Adults)

Amazing staff - couldn’t do enough for your Attention to detail was second to none - couldn’t fault a thing. Will be 1000% recommending to friends and family - and we will definitely be staying here again We also got upgraded with a better view - exceptional service

• Studio (3 Adults)

I didn’t like that was joined room and it was lots of noise coming through that door from people next to our apartment. We could hear their tv, music and talk. They woke me up few times.

The bed in bedroom was extra comfy, sofa bed could be more comfortable. I loved spacious bathroom and huge bath. Our view from apartment was spectacular and all staff was very nice, especially Alejandro at the reception.

Shower and Breakfast

£310 per night is not worth for money considering their shower system and breakfast (£29 pp). I found these two worst in comparison to other hotels with similar price. I would not recommend this hotel to others.

• Deluxe King Room with River View

It is my second time in three months, but this time I noticed a less complementary service. e.g. water bottles sometimes they do not refill and etc. which totally the opposite when I stayed in late August with the whole family... It is also more expensive on this time...about 30% to 40% more for the room...

Very nice view and access to the river side. Very welcoming staff. Very elegant facility.

• Studio (3 Adults)

Nothing place is amazing!

Free upgrade on arrival, fantastic room with an amazing view! Staff couldn't have been friendlier! We loved our stay here 100% recommend.

• One-Bedroom Suite (2 Adults)

Excellent room and facilities however personally I found the bed too hard and it wasn't comfortable at all. Very little sleep.

The staff are first class and the hotel is beautiful.

• Deluxe King Room with River View

I could not fault this hotel at all

Everything about my stay at the hotel exceeded any expectation that I had. They went above and beyond to make our stay special for my partners birthday. I can not recommend them more to anyone looking for somewhere to stay in london for a short/long stay. Whether it be business/pleasure this is the hotel for you

• 2-Bedroom Apartment (5 adults)

Elevator not working whole stay we were there, heat issue in room had to complain twice before fixed, door missing to in-room laundry so could not use, and night consierge not very customer oriented, far from public transportation and sites compared to others

Restaurant and bar staff very friendly, so was day valet

• One-Bedroom Apartment River View (2 Adults)

As stated the facility, the part we stayed in with a suite and kitchen, needs a refurb but is still good.

This is a hotel we have stayed at several times over the past 4 years. There has been an extensive renovation and build-out in part of the facility. That part is excellent. The part we have stayed it however needs an upgrade though it is still very good. The staff are good and responsive when there is an issue. The property is on the river. Transportation is excellent.

I couldn’t stay longer.

If you are looking to surprise your significant other I would highly recommend this hotel. Lay in bed whiles looking at the London eye and Big Ben fantastic!

• Deluxe King Room with River View

One minor glitch, one of the elevators was out of order, but we were fine with it.

The Hotel was great in every possible way, great location near 3 major transportation stations, the view is a killer, staff are great , helpful and cooperative and the breakfast is amazing, they made special adjustment after we talked to them about our need for halal food , great place , will definitely love to go there again.

We loved everything

The view from our room was amazing. The room was modern and definitely worth the money. Room service was great and all staff were polite and helpful. We have recommended the hotel to friends and family and are booking again.

Lack of parking

Superb views of London, spacious apartment, good kitchen facilities, walk in shower as requested, bed very comfortable. Extra bed from sofa the mattress was a bit thin. Staff were first class very helpful. Breakfast was excellent, lots of choice and even porridge. Restaurant was amazing, food was superb. Only downside is lack of parking but they do valet parking which is good. Would recommend this hotel for a special stay it is well worth it.

Browse Plaza on the River traveller photo gallery