Reviews of Best Western Plough & Harrow Hotel 3 stars

135 Hagley Road, Edgbaston, Birmingham, B16 8LS, United Kingdom

#61 of 78 hotels in Birmingham

Location good. Breakfast not.

Service at breakfast was not good. No black pudding as advertised, coffee was weak and rationed. Toaster had seen better days. Not worth the money.

Free parking, comfy bed

Booked a double room and were given the Bridal Suite!

Booked a double room and were given the Bridal Suite! What a lovely surprise. Very helpful staff who allowed us to check in early and they put our baggage in room whilst we were out for the day.

A visit to forget

The Restaraunt- I would like to suggest that a "wait to be seated" is introduced. You are left trying to find a clean empty table. I was never asked for my room number, never offered tea , coffee or what I would like for breakfast. I managed to find a table (an nclean one) rummage through what was left at the buffet and eat at my uncleaned table. Not the sort of hospitality you would expect from a BW Hotel.

Check in good. Room not so bad

Executive Rooms - excellent value
    • Executive Double Room

NA

The room was very comfortable and quiet with plenty of space and two chairs which is often a bonus. Parking is on-site and secure which is a huge bonus in Birmingham. Breakfast was cooked to order (they can do this when there are not too many guests staying) and very good. When the restaurant is prepared overnight for a wedding, and cannot be used for breakfast, they serve in alternate rooms without any fuss.

Great hotel, helpful staff and good location
    • Double Room with Sofabed - Non-Smoking

Great location, attractive price, very understanding receptionist who fixed the booking error at no extra cost given the last minute booking. Highly recommend for families.

Never again !!

Our stay was completely ruined by two absolutely inexcusable events. On our first night we went for an early evening sleep in the room believing that there was 24 hour room service including hot pizza and hot snacks. When we called room service around 11pm we were told all we could have was a sandwich or they would call out for a takeaway to be delivered for us. We ended up ordering a pizza delivery ourselves online. The following day, after a tiring afternoon out, we were looking forward to dining in the a la carte restaurant and enjoying a meal from what seemed a very nice menu selection. Picture our disappointment when we were told that a wedding taking place in the hotel meant that the restaurant was closed and that we would have to have our a la carte dinner perched on a bar stool in the back bar (not even in the lounge bar or in a dining area of the bar which for some reason had been closed off), and that we wouldn't be able to order anything between 7:30 and 8:30 because the kitchen was serving a buffet for the wedding!! We ended up having our 'a la carte' dinner delivered to our room :(

Some of the staff were very friendly and helpful.

Ok stay

Corridors to room are long but I know this can’t be helped so if people struggle with walking this hotel wouldn’t be for them as there’s lots of stairs too

The lady on reception went above and beyond for us shown us a executive room as we was the bringing of upgrading ours.. she was really polite and friendly and nothing was too much trouble

good value for the price paid
    • Standard Twin Room

no black pudding! The porridge and croissants were not as hot as they could have been and the cuboard doors in our room needed fixing!

Beds were very comfortable

• Reviewed: 25 August 2018

Breakfast lets the hotel down.
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

The family rooms are furthest away from the reception and you have to negotiate stairs and steps on the way to them. Not good for the people have the most luggage. Breakfast was not that good (overcooked and dry).

Comfy bed. Location to local amenities.

• Reviewed: 24 August 2018

Reception staff were helpful and friendly!
    • Double Room with Sofabed - Non-Smoking

A lot of dust around headboard area under the pillows all around the bed on floor. When children put hands on pillows all dust came off and it might be this room wasn't in used or could be reason... so I move kids to the bedsettee which wasn't open than I took kids out and when I came back I ask if some one cold help me to open the bedsettee and was told why didn't I ask before I went out anyway I did apologise said sorry. But I do believe it should had been ready before we moved into the room.

Reception staff were helpful and friendly!

Nice but noisy

Very noisy karaoke until very late on one night of the stay which spoilt it especially as it was incongruent with the hotel inage. A wedding event meant that the communal hotel spaces and bar were unavailable. Although comfortable, the room was dated.

The staff were all very friendly and helpful. The room was large and comfortable. A good breakfast.

Very good value for money.

Better signs needed to direct you to your room. The room was a bit rundown and could do with freshening up a bit. Still good value for money for the price that I paid.

I arrived after midnight and was greeted by a friendly night manager. He explained how to get to my room but I did get a little bit lost due to the lack of signs...this could have also been to do with the time :) The room had a good size TV and a comfy bed. Everything was clean and tidy. Very friendly reception staff on check out.

EXCELLENT HOTEL WITH COMFY BED.
    • Double Room with Sofabed - Non-Smoking

Only thing missing is fridge in the room.

Comfy and clean, very spacious with good parking facility. Location is an added benefit. Will stay whenever in Birmingham.

Cleanliness and attentive staff.

Breakfast not enough staff to cater for the volume of people in the restaurant had to wait for coffee plates and top up of buffet food .. but food was fine ..

Cleanliness and attentive staff..

Really enjoyed it. Convenient for Birmingham. Nice outside space. Would go again.

Shower was a bit dodgy Only worked on too hot and extra too hot.

Didn't eat there so can't comment on the food. However, the beds were really comfy, as were the pillows. Plenty of space in the room and bathroom. Everything was immaculately clean, serviced every day. Appreciated an iron and ironing board, which you don't always get and a hair dryer. Tea and coffee facilities, shampoo, shower gel all replenished daily. Staff were helpful, pleasant and smiley.

• Reviewed: 18 August 2018

Comfy and quiet at a really cheap cost

bathroom would need a little redecoration but for that price i paid staying there is more than worth it.

the room was really quiet and comfy and the staff is really friendly and helpful!

Nice hotel but breakfast not so goof
    • Standard Twin Room

Breakfast was cold and tea was weak would prefer own pot on table toaster was not working and they had no chocolate croissants

Good price hotel room was clean good free parking and friendly receptionist

Good central location, nice friendly staff.

The thermostat on my shower was broken. Was too hot to shower. Had to take a bath.

Good central location, nice friendly staff. Happy hour lasted past an hour!

An ok stay
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

The wasn’t a lot if choice of breakfast for vegetarians and vegans. They ran out of food lots if times.

It was very different from any other hotel. Comfortable beds and very friendly staff

Beautiful period property ideal for Tolkien fans

Not a lot for vegetarians especially at breakfast and did t get to eat in restaurant as functions were on both nights so had room service which was good value to be fair.beds are super comfy.

It was welcoming and comfortable and good value for money

• Reviewed: 11 August 2018

Old school classic setting.

Everything was good to be honest

Old school classic setting. Emma on reception was extremely personable, professional and present. Taylor at the bar was exceptional. We will be back because of these two staff members!

• Reviewed: 10 August 2018

1 night stay for my 5yr old son and I
    • Standard Twin Room

Decor of room a bit tired (we stayed in the newer part) Not enough Housekeeping staff on day of our stay (2 staff off sick) so room not as clean as it should have been (leftover hairs in bathroom, dead flies on window sill) Kettle was broken but a replacement was found by the staff very quickly

Great value for money Lovely breakfast room, tasty breakfast Welcoming staff Comfortable spacious rooms Beautiful historic parts of the hotel

• Reviewed: 10 August 2018

My stay at the Plough and Harrow Birmingham

No downstair rooms if you have problems with your mobility

This is the 4th time we have stayed there because its nice, cosy and staff friendly. Will be staying again in October.

• Reviewed: 8 August 2018

Excellent value best budget accomadation in hagley Rd
    • Standard Twin Room

All staff were very friendly Reception Hannah extremely delightful and helpful Bar guy young and friendly .. breakfast team superb didn’t try the WiFi as excellent 4g signal in the area.. v clean old building but well kept in comparison to others in the area .. massive thumbs up will always try to use when in the area

Lovely hotel but a bit dated upstairs.
    • Standard Twin Room

Worn carpets and torn curtains in bedrooms with we're a bit tired and did not reflect the high quality lounge and shared areas.

Ideal location for the cricket and comfortable public areas. Great staff and good breakfast. Great value on the deal we had.

Convenient for Edgbaston with very helpful staff and comfortable rooms.

Apart from the room key not working on the second day which was soon sorted no problems.

The restaurant went out of their way to provide me with a low carb meal. Breakfast choice also enabled me to have a low carb option. Good service in the bar. Directions to Edgbaston ready prepared.

• Reviewed: 3 August 2018

Wonderful staff
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

We had to move room due to the smell of previous residents. However to the credit of the receptionist she organised this with minimum fuss and could not have been more apologetic

The hotel staff were wonderful

Double payment taken

That fact they took the full payment twice from my debit card and when I called them about it ,they tried to fob me off with a lame excuse about there systems. I work in systems and transactions so I knew she was talking rubbish and trying to insult my intelligence.

Location was good

Great location and friendly staff.

Would have liked a bottle of water in the room and no biscuits with the tea and coffee. No air con, room very hot.

Great location and friendly staff. Large room.

Fantastic location, comfy bed with good pillows, great...
    • Standard Twin Room

The room was rather warm, you really should be able to open the windows more than a small crack to allow a nice flow of fresh air although we were given a fan upon request.

Fantastic location, comfy bed with good pillows, great breakfast and lovely staff. Couldn’t have asked for more for the night.

• Reviewed: 28 July 2018

Great staff, convenient location near Edgbaston but hotel fabric and rooms need some work.
    • Standard Twin Room

General decor was tired. There was no air conditioning yet the bedroom window only opened 20cm and it was the hottest week of the year in Birmingham. I am sure it is not usually a problem.

Staff were friendly and the room was clean and quiet away from the main road.

• Reviewed: 28 July 2018

Always enjoyable, will be back again.

Air conditioning would be ideal but I can understand why they don’t have it seeing as it’s an old building etc

I always stay there when I meet a group of friends, we live all over the UK so always meet in Birmingham, the hotel is close enough to nightlife without being in the middle of it and for me coming from Wales it’s easy to drive to. Staff are always really friendly. They may want to consider utilising their large grass area behind the hotel with perhaps a games room.

• Reviewed: 27 July 2018

Like how hotels were meant to be

The...er.. 'filter coffee' at breakfast - but that is part of the charm of a good english hotel

Old school hotels the way they used to be. I loved it

• Reviewed: 27 July 2018

More staff could have fixed most the issues.

There wasnt enough staff on, people had to keep going to get someone to serve on the bar. I had to return my evening meal as it was not good. The breakfast was also poor and no staff around to ask for things like butter.. There was also stains on the carpet in my room that looked like blood. Ive stayed previously and it was great but after this trip I just wouldnt chance it again, was a real let down.

The staff who were working were very helpful.

Excellent we will be back.

This hotel is a credit to the company. The staff were wonderful and went out of their way to help. They would stand and talk to you and ask you about your day and if we needed anything just ask. We were attending a family wedding at the Oratory and we had a great day and then bought our friends back to the Plough. We had fantastic weekend. Breakfast was lovely and we will be back. Broad Street just walking distance is our next plan of adventure ! Thank You All

Not good : verging on poor.
    • Standard Twin Room

Lack of food availability between closure of Restaurant and night service. We had an extremely lengthy journey from West Sussex; the trauma of death of a friend in the QE hospital, only to find that a sandwich may have caused a problem. The Plough and Harrow USED to be a top flight hotel. What ever happened? Oh and the bar service was pretty Hit and Miss. Just not impressed!!!!!!!!!!!

Quiet location with free parking and an easy walk to Bham Arena. Would definitely stay there again

It was a very hot night . Knew there was no air con but could only open the window little way and there was no fan. Asked at reception but they said they were all taken. Think a hotel chain like Best Western should invest in a fan for each room. Breakfast was lovely but think everyone arrived at the same time as staff run off their feet and long waits for coffee, cereal bowls, more scrambled egg to be cooked etc. Glad breakfast was included in room rate as would have been very disappointed to pay £14 !

Staff were really friendly and helpful

Great night, great bed and close to all Birmingham can offer a 20 year old and his Dad
    • Standard Twin Room

Bird C**P on my car, NOT the hotels fault!!

Great location, great parking (apart from the present left from the people staying overnight in the tree's on my car). The room was what I thought, my son was moving digs in Birmingham and we had one night between handover and new keys. Twin room was great!!. The hotel is being decorated in public places, but that is explained on the notes as you enter the areas. Great price, location 10 mins walk from Broad Street. Thanks will use you again, sons 21st in October, we will need a room the weekend before!

• Standard Twin Room

Not enough hot vegetarian options on the breakfast buffet such as meat-free sausages or Turkey bacon.

The beds were very comfortable and the location was very good.

I remember this hotel before it was Best Western, and it is not the same high standard as before.
    • Standard Twin Room

Carpets in hallways and bedroom badly stained. No lift to first floor, and rooms along way from entrance door, especially as three of the guests had sticks. There was a wedding taking place, and the guests were checking out at the same time we were, resulting in very slow check-out.

We were a party of 8 people, and the staff did all they could to accommodate all of us together.

Glad the stay was only for one night, compared to other hotels we have stayed at, not good value.
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

10 and 8 year old children, girl and boy made to sleep on a sofa bed. Sofa bed had lots of metal which could cause harm to children. Hotel was undergoing redecoration, no mention of this. The public bar was shut for the weekend. Breakfast was poor, not enough facilities to keep the items cold i.e. milk.

Lovely old building. Receptionist on our arrival and departure was very helpful, efficient and pleasant.

Could be cleaner

It's a maze of a hotel - there's a new biulding when I had chosen the place thinking it'd be a lovely little historical building. The greyish bath which I had been so hoping for after a long day was just repelling

The guy at the bar and the girl at breakfast (sorry don't know his name) were very nice and friendly

Pleasant and nice

Bathroom could of done with being cleaner. Body hair in bath which out me off using it. Floor also had hair in it. 🤐

It was quiet even if in the middle of Birmingham which was nice. Catering staff were very nice and pleasant.

A very pleasant and comfortable / relaxing time for me

Would have liked to see newspapers or magazines in lounge bar, to view whilst having an aperitif. As alone staring out of the window not very exciting!! However, the bar Manager found me a magazine which was very nice.

Very pleasant staff - breakfast service excellent. Valentina on Reception is your best asset. A very friendly personality and most helpful and efficient.

Maybe some new beds but would stay there again. Great staff, free parking and good location.
    • Standard Twin Room

As it was the hottest bank holiday weekend for decades we were gobsmacked to find the radiator in our room on full - you could have fried an egg on it! We informed the receptionist and she said she would have a look and when we returned, it was off, so that was a relief. As is usual in hotels, you can only open the windows a little bit, so it was stifling. We had a twin room, as that was all that was available, and we didn’t mind that. But the beds were terrible. One of them almost felt broken, really sunken in and very uncomfortable. This was room 107, I think the beds need replacing. It was fine for one night but I woke up with a frozen shoulder as the bed sort of tipped you over onto a strange angle! Finally, the bathroom didn’t have an extractor fan so it was very hot in there too, as there was no window.

The staff really made the difference. They were all so friendly, welcoming and helpful. Lovely bar area and garden to sit outside. We were room only so couldn’t comment on the breakfast but the dining area looked very well set up and an attractive room. The whole place was immaculately clean and well looked after, considering parts of the building are very old. We were able to leave our car in the car park all day while we went into town and didn’t come back till after 5.00pm to head home. Would definitely stay again and recommend to others.

Enjoyable

Staff were struggling with dinner and meal was not very tasty, lacking in vegetables shown on menu.

The breakfast was excellent. Beautiful old building once the top hotel in the City.

Comfortable hotel with great location
    • Standard Twin Room

Bedrooms are a long walk up stairs and along landings of different levels. I would recommend that if this is uncomfortable you ask for assistance, which is available

Location is great, close to city centre with free parking. Bedroom was a good size and comfortable. Bar and restaurant very attractive spaces

Lovely place - enjoyable stay
    • Standard Twin Room

The bread used for the sandwhiches was a little stale - we had the afternoon tea Needed better signage at the top of the stairs to direct us to our room - we had to find a bar staff member to come and direct us to our room

The Character of the property

Was ok
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

We had a family room but there were no sheets or covers put on tne guest bed so we had to ring the desk to get them made up

There was an error made on our booking but was resolved

Friendly welcome and efficient room service
    • Standard Twin Room

The shower in Room 6 is wholly inadequate. The taps in the hand basin need replacing and the toilet flush is temperamental

Friendly welcome and efficient room service

Value for money and friendly staff

Fried egg hard. The drawers and cupboards (of which there are plenty) did need dusting out. Shower high and fixed so when you are short it’s a bit of a pain. Prefer adjustable ones. We would stay again though, these were minor points.

An excellent size room for the money, we had a standard double. The room was generally clean with a great deal of storage space. A very nice buffet breakfast with continental choice and cooked items. All hot. You have to order fried egg which comes out quickly so fresh. Comfy bed. Big TV and quick WiFi. 25min walk from Birmingham Arena. Close to shops.

Locality for the purpose of our visit.

The food was not Nice, we ordered room service, food was not hot, mostly inedible, one knife and fork provided between two peoples meals, the room telephone did not work so I had to use my mobile to order room service or contact reception for any other reason.

Locality for the purpose of our visit. Receptionist on arrival was fantastic..

The bar attached to the hotel served inedible food.

The bar attached to the hotel served inedible food. The bathroom was dirty. The toilet had used toilet tissue in in when we entered the room and the bath (with overhead shower) had not been clean for a long time. (Greasy streaks that had built up over a period of time ) the hotel's restaurant was fabulous (as always) Use only the hotel bar and restaurant and always book superior rooms and your stay will be a good one.

The bed was comfy and the room clean, but the bathroom had a...

The service in the breakfast room absolutely shocking, the food wasn’t replenished quick enough for the amount of guests having breakfast and the staff really didn’t know what they were doing

The bed was comfy and the room clean, but the bathroom had a damp smell

Great, everything we needed.

Maybe a later check out but fully understand that the room was needed for wedding guests.

Excellent location for walking to the ICC and Birmingham Arena ( sea life/ walk along the canal/ symphony hall ) Great to have FREE Parking. V comfortable rooms. Very friendly and helpful staff.

We really enjoyed our stay; room was comfortable and staff were warm and welcoming.

Our room was a fair walk from reception and dining room and the annexe is a bit of a rabbit warren with lots of stairs and winding corridors. Breakfast was slightly disorganised with only 2 staff waiting tables and monitoring/replenishing hot buffet. We had to ask for glasses for juice and for butter.

Bar area is beautifully decorated. Bed was very comfortable and room was clean. Reception and breakfast staff were warm and welcoming. Free parking was a bonus in a city centre hotel. The older parts of the building are very beautiful and there is a nice garden area for drinks in warmer weather.

beautiful hotel and location food a total let down

Dont order food from room service pizza worst i have ever been given sent it back inedible a under estimate 14 pound sooner of ate the box, sandwich very poor too put us off eating there

Cadbury world visit
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Buffet Breakfast Sunday not good - only dregs left at 9am. Room could have been cleaner- carpet full of hair clumps. We found out our room was used as a pet friendly room but would not have booked hotel if known this due to allergies. Not enough towels or cups in room for 3 of us - had to ask for them- aswell as tiolet roll. Did book room with single bed for child but got sofa bed which had very thin mattress & was very uncomfy for our 9yr old - plus we could have booked on best western website for room with sofa bed for child at £30 cheaper!!! Main hotel areas needed lots of tlc and carpets full of bleach stains. Hotel needs decent refurb. Expensive hotel bar prices! Nearly £7 for a glass of rose wine!

Location of hotel. Free parking. Served breakfast Monday.

I have stayed here before and would stay here again :)
    • Standard Twin Room

Very friendly staff and a bonus was a staff member available with a shovel to help dig pathways in the snow to allow us to drive our car out of the car park. He helped others clear the snow off their cars. Location was perfect to get to and from the Arena

Nothing special

The bedrooms and hallways are very outdated. The breakfast wasn’t included which is a shame as you can book a hotel In the same area, decorated to a higher standard for around the same price and breakfast is included.

The communal area of the hotel is very nice and the outside of the hotel looks very grand..

Mostly very enjoyable accept for the beds
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

The second bed was terrible and we ask for a third bed but the hotel could not supply one (in a family room this is not good)

The people were very nice and helpful

we always enjoy our stays at this hotel
    • Standard Twin Room

traffic noise can be heard in some of the rooms so we always ask for a quiet room

car parking good facility together with spacious rooms comfort and cleanliness

Pleasant and comfortable

There was no lift and I had a long walk to my room with lots of stairs which I found very tiring. I chose the hotel for my visit to Crufts but it was further out than it appeared to be when I looked up somewhere to stay for the event.

Staff were friendly and helpful. The bar meals were very good and the room was comfortable although it looked a little tired.

Delightful. This is a hotel we will certainly return to.

The distance between reception was significant especially if aged.

The reception area and bar area were beautiful, the decor and ambience suitable for a three-hundred-year-old building.

Disappointing. Could improve.

The breakfast items had run out, some such as juice and bread weren’t replenished whilst we were there even though it was only 8am. The waitresses were too busy chatting. The young lad that was taking room service up to the bedrooms was dressed in a tracksuit which didn’t look professional. There were hairs in our bath and sink. We won’t return to this hotel nor will we recommend it.

We had a great weekend. The hotel was very convenient and staff pleasant and helpful.
    • Standard Twin Room

The wifi was disappointing as it kept dropping out.

Breakfast was great. Staff were brilliant throughout our stay. Our bed was extremely comfortable. It was also great to be able to leave our car in the hotel's free car park for the duration of our weekend and to be close enough to walk into the city.

Thank god I only stayed for one night

Room ( faulty towers style comes to mind) they need to be revamped, I’ve stayed in better hotels for less than £95 a night!! Food in the pub part was average

Car park was good size, bar area was good

Fab hotel but rooms far to cold
    • Standard Twin Room

The rooms are very cold an no way of turning radiators on, take warm clothing if spending time in the room, we put our hairdryer on to try an warm the room up

Staff are lovely, hotel is clean

It's a bit different - I can imagine Best Western US...

Breakfast supplement @ £14.50 is substantially more than it was just a year or so ago.

It's a bit different - I can imagine Best Western US customers liking its quirkiness

I chose this hotel based on its reasonable price, there is room for improvement!
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Our breakfast experience, and the 10 mile hike to our room.

The reception area, breakfast etc is quite lovely architecturally. Our rooms however (which we expected) were in the more modern block. The room itself was fine but really quite far away from the rest of the hotel, thankfully a member of staff opened a side door for us when we arrived so we could park closer to our room and shift the kids and all gear with minimal stress and effort, which was appreciated. The room was fine except we could actually hear conversations from other rooms, especially in the bathroom. Breakfast was not a great experience, as parents can probably appreciate all meals in public places are military style operations that need extreme planning. Cut a long story short, no-one took our order for along time, and when we managed to collar someone to take our order, the 'kitchen' then forgot us. By the time the not really cooked egg and definitely not crispy bacon arrived our kids were off.... We probably waited about an hour for breakfast and that isn't acceptable especially as it was not included, so we paid for pain. This was mentioned on checking out and we were told that we were not the first guests to face the same issue, and that someone would contact us about the experience, that was three ago and disappointingly, we haven't heard from anyone.

The location is good, can easily access most locations in...

The staff badly let this place down, nobody cares. Very lack lustre in every way Waited 20 mins to check out as they were having problems Trying to charge everybody twice for their say. Only to find when I get home they charged me twice anyway £10 taken off my card when I arrived as a preauthorisation Told I would get that back in 10 days!! What is that all about. Wouldn’t stay here again as long as it stays in best western hands

The location is good, can easily access most locations in the city

A pleasant stay, staff welcoming.
    • Standard Twin Room

The room had all we needed for a comfortable stay. Reception staff helpful and ordered a taxi the morning of departure for interview The room had all we needed, en suite, hairdryer, drink making facility. Iron and ironing board were used and very much appreciated. TV being large gave us our evening viewing in comfortable surroundings.

Great short break, shopping, sightseeing, eating and relaxing - perfect 😊

We couldn’t find anything not to like

Lovely country hotel feel close to town with onsite parking. Staff friendly and helpful. An absolute gem amongst all the other high rise hotels. Will definitely be returning

Enjoyable stay.
    • Standard Twin Room

Kitchen struggled to keep up with demand of breakfast buffet items at peak times. Parts of the hotel require a refurbishment.

Location, easy access to city centre, free parking, excellent reception, bar area and dining room. Clean comfortable, friendly staff. On the whole we enjoyed our stay. Would certainly stay again

Lovely original features but poor extension

The extension is shabby and tired. The room and breakfast were very disappointing.

The bar area and original building is lovely and the location is great