Reviews of Portsmouth Marriott Hotel 4 stars

Southampton Road, Portsmouth, PO6 4SH, United Kingdom

#13 of 22 hotels in Portsmouth

5.6

Will be returning, a very positive experience.

Left something behind in the room and am having to chase it up, would have hoped the hotel would get in touch to say something. Food costs were fairly high but I had expected this. The portion size for the curry was small and my teenage son was still hungry after eating, so for those with smaller appetite not an issue, and good quality food. The breakfast was good so felt worth the money.

Easy to find and park and location great to get around the area and to the park and ride. A lovely warm welcome and all service needs made simple by the good service. Clean rooms and public areas, didn't experience the leisure facilities this time, but will do on return. Nice advice given on check out about the local area that demonstrated the good service levels.

Great hotel .
    • Deluxe Room with Two Double Beds

Food at the grill took extra long. Granted they had a wedding dinner going on , but still 1.5 hrs wait and other tables that got in after us got their food before us

Great hotel . Comfy stay. Many ammeneties .

Not worth the high charges

‘ Hidden’ costs ie. automatic service charges( plus optional gratitude)- which can be deleted if you read the fine print- dirty food menus- soso service...

Easily accessible from major roads . Rooms spacious

Ok

The restaurant was located in the lobby area which is very open. Prefer to have a separate room for eating. Service was so slow as there was a wedding on. Not many staff serving in the restaurant

Location was good and the food in the restaurant.

Stopover for one night
    • Deluxe Room with Two Double Beds

Dogs are allowed but you cannot take them into any communal area inside the hotel or leave them in your room whilst having dinner in the restaurant in the hotel.

Comfortable beds, good facilities, nearby to Brittany ferries for our trip to Bilbao the next morning. Dogs are allowed.

Lovely time away went with husband and two children age 13 and 2 and they loved the swimming pool
    • Deluxe Room with Two Double Beds

There is no Wi-Fi in rooms. You have to pay £12 a day to receive Wi-Fi in your room. You can get it free in reception and dining area.

The bed was comfy. Lovely clean hotel.

Very poor will not be returning

Waiting an hour for room service and having to call 3 times to check where our drinks were, mix up on breakfast stating I hadn't booked it but I did

Good sleep, good food.

More than I like to pay, but Portsmouth is very expensive in the summer and with a ferry journey and drive down through France in view, well worth the extra..

A very comfortable room. An easy trip to the port without becoming caught up in the town centre. Friendly staff. Space for parking cars, without a hassle. A huge range of food for breakfast, with excellent service.

A very big let down..this was booked for a weekend away with my daughter and the experiance was no g

My bathroom wasnt cleaned after my finish night stay. There was a prom going on tje day i arrived..and i was told rudely yo wait..i waited a good 15 mins in the baking heat..and then was told to park up and wait..

Food was lovely.

Mostly everything.
    • Deluxe Room with Two Double Beds

The toilet boil the cleanliness is not what I’ve expected from a Marriott Hotel. The stain inside of it very visible.room 302 where we stay, hope you will have a check on it.

Mostly everything.

Great stay - in great comfort - but no free WiFi (first world problem) is stingy

I think it realy is bad that you charge for WiFi as a Marriott hotel and for the price paid for the room. Nope - not good at all!

Loved the room! Nicely updated - great beds - well thought through rooms - also for business (USB ports integrated)

Over priced and really not worth it.
    • Deluxe Room with Two Double Beds

Grumpy staff, rude, food was ok. Couldn’t use the swimming area as it was always at full capacity. It’s a spa hotel, but only one area to relax in garden with all other s, ie families and children, kids party popping balloons, so if u are having a relaxing spa weekend there is no where for you to relax.

The room was nice.

Breakfast buffet is great and staff are friendly plus rooms...

I didn’t like the fact that I had a few bites over me after sleeping in the bed plus I had something crawling over me, I wasn’t offered a refund or anything and was quite disappointed with the way they dealt with it.

Breakfast buffet is great and staff are friendly plus rooms are spacious

It was okay.

We left a half eaten packet of complimentary biscuits. They were not replaced. A used glass in the bathroom wasn't washed.

Didn't eat at the Hotel. The location was ideal for our activities and there was plenty to do around the area

Fantastic

Friendly staff, bed super comfy ,great spot just around the corner from port solent perfect!! I'd say room service/bar needs a little tlc as ran out of limes/lemon/ice or weren't asked or delivered when ordering room service ,but this really is the only thing that I could fault really, and probably not even worth mentioning ,keep up the good work can't wait to revisit

Good short stay hotel prior to cruise.

Beds nice and large but, vey hard and uncomfortable. I do not remember them being this hard on my last visit. Have they been changed within the last year?

Large rooms with good facilities. Excellent bathroom. Staff very helpful.

Lovely long weekend in a lovely hotel. Loved the complementary tea and biscuits

Didn’t like the treatment received when my daughters were using the swimming pool. Whoever the staff was he gave off a negative vibe towards us. He kept looking at my daughters in a bad way that I didn’t let them us the pool. Bare in mind this was their first hour or so at the hotel and using the pool. I didn’t make a fuss but definitely didn’t let my daughters use the pool again I kept making excuses as to why we couldn’t use it. I DIDN’T FEEL WE WERE WELCOMED!

Everything was lovely. I stayed with my two daughters and they enjoyed the swimming pool. Breakfast was lovely but no vegetarian options (hot food).

Comfortable overnight stay - would stay again

The restaurant atrium was a noisy, particularly near the pool. Acoustic panels (on the roof maybe) to shield the pool would help.

Modern clean well designed room. On site restaurant and others (mostly chain) nearby. Staff were all excellent. Restaurant set menu was very tasty, good choice and good value. Our request for a quiet room was met - we had an excellent night's sleep.

Best Hotel

The hotel was beautiful, clean and very friendly we had a king size room and it was lovely couldn't of asked for anything nicer. There's a lovely bar and lovely leisure facilities. We have booked to go back in August.

Great experience
    • Deluxe Room with Two Double Beds

Some breakfast items were reheated and soggy (e.g. croissants, pancakes). Not much variety on cold cuts if one wants an alternative to English breakfast.

Very convenient location for getaways to the city, beds super comfortable, clean environment and friendly staff.

Rooms are very clean.

No information in the room regarding internal hotel services, no indication on how to call reception or for emergency.

Rooms are very clean. Very quiet room, no noise from outside. Comfortable bed. Modern bathroom. Large shower.

Good but felt mislead with the 'upgrade' with it being completely different from original booking.
    • Deluxe Room with Two Double Beds

Had booked a room for myself and my friend for a girls weekend. Booked a room with 2 double beds in it. On arrival got told we had been upgraded to a superior room that included free parking, free wifi, bath robes. We naturally thought that was brilliant. When we got to our room we opened door to find only 1 bed. Considering our orignal booking was for 2 beds in the room I believe it should have been mentioned when being upgraded that at a matter of fact we were losing a whole bed along with this upgrade. As we possibly would of passed up the upgrade if we had known that. There were also no robes in the room and couldn't get the wifi to work.

Breakfast was really nice. Bed was comfy. Had mini fridge in room which was handy.

Brilliant hotel will definitely look to stay here again.

Having to leave so soon.

Staff were very friendly and couldn’t help enough, especially for my sisters wedding. Everything was excellent. Room was great, bed was massive!

Reception was good.

The restaurant staff could have been more proactive when a complaint was made about one of our meals in the evening.

Reception was good. Room comfortable and clean. Plenty of parking.

Excellent.
    • Deluxe Room with Two Double Beds

There were some unessessary things inside the room. Like a giant table. Then we have another giant table for the Tv to stand on. It would of been better it you have one giant table instead of two. and stuck the Tv on the wall to save space

Parking was £3 for the whole day. Everything was excellent and we planned out our visit before we came.

The room was freshly decorated and was clean and modern.

The location of the restaurant could be better located as its very close to the foyer area. This part of the hotel seems to be an extension and the layout does not really work.

The room was freshly decorated and was clean and modern.

Great facilities with very helpful staff

The only downfall about our room was waking up in the morning to discover we had been sleeping in what looked like blood stains on the sheets

The room was exelent comfy bed really well decorated great value for money

Great location for exploring Portsmouth and the nearby coastline.
    • Deluxe Room with Two Double Beds

The pool area was smaller rhan expected so got busy quite quickly.

The staff couldn’t have been more friendly or helpful. We didn’t like the room we were first allocated (the windows faced into the restaurant) so they changed the room no questions asked. Laura in the restaurant was exceptionally friendly making the kids feel at home and going out of her way to make sure we had a great experience.

Ok if you like mediocre
    • Deluxe Room with Two Double Beds

Air conditioning was loud and didn't cool the room. Toilet too easily blocked. Shower didn't have much power . Kettle not placed near a plug socket

Good breakfast and location. Room was clean and beds comfortable

Great location for the ferry.
    • Superior King Room

If your looking for a romantic hotel go elsewhere. This is a functional value for money overnight stop.

Great location for the ferry. Value for money. Staff helpful.

Like it says on the tin.

I'm not keen on having to pay for Wifi or parking. Hotel chains of this size should be able to swallow this cost as part of the room, as Marriott hotels aren't exactly cheap. Other than that, it was a pretty good stay,

The room was extremely modern and well decorated. The reception staff were really friendly and helpful. Unfortunately, I didn't use any other facilities as after a long day, I ate in my room. and so I'm no in a position to offer a full review.

Fantastic Stay
    • Deluxe Room with Two Double Beds

There was nothing we didn’t like about our stay.

For our stay we really wanted somewhere with a pool. We had so much fun and even had the pool to ourselves for most of the evening. We loved that you supplied towels for use by the pool and the changing rooms where excellent. Our room and bathroom were lovely and very clean. Plenty of towels and toiletries. Big bonus was the fridge as it was very warm that weekend. The breakfast was delicious and such a huge variety, went meant we were all extremely happy. It really was a fantastic stay.

Very nice apart from eating in
    • Deluxe Room with Two Double Beds

It’s was my birthday, had a meal down stairs with my family ordered food, food came came no staff about had to get up 8 times to find someone was not given a steak knife, then too ask for small spoons for the kids, during meal was not asked once for more drinks had to find some again to get a cocktail by then we finished the meal:( took up to my room, get up again to find someone for pudding for kids, again for ketchup, again get to find some for another pudding would of been nice to be asked if I needed anything:(( all so in the moron at breakfast was seated and left for 5 mins no said we can go and help our self’s and where was the drink, again had to find someone asked for tea then after ten mins had to ask again as no one did not very good service for such a nice hotel:(((

Very clean and tidy

...so so....wouldnt rebook
    • Superior King Room

The reception area smells of chlorine due to an open-air swimming pool with just half a wall to block off from the main restaurant area ... also really substandard wellness facilities for 4 star

Room

Wonderful stuff

After paying extra for a superior room some of the extras were missing. Silly little things really like no robes or slippers that were advertised with the upgrade, otherwise was totally amazing and worth every penny.

Was very spacious and well maintained, can't really fault it.

A good quality hotel, friendly staff, excellent facilities.

The car park fees are an issue. This visit to the hotel I twice reported a defect with the window surround, it still wasn’t rectified when I checked out 2 days later.

I like the atmosphere at the Marriott Portsmouth, the rooms have recently been renovated and are excellent,

Very pleasant stay, with courteous and helpful staff.
    • Superior King Room

Restaurant prices and drinks appeared a bit expensive, but it is a first-class hotel.

Large room, including bathroom. Very clean and quiet on 7th floor. Special rate made it very attractive and great value for money.

👍

Paying for parking was confusing. Notice in car park about pay & display, small notice about reduced rate for guests as you drive into hotel nothing at the machine. As parking eye car park we paid more expensive rate at the machine.

Celebrating special occasion & hotel upgraded our room & provided some extras in the room. Lovely spacious rooms & helpful staff throughout the hotel.

An excellent location. We were very well looked after and the children were very welcome.
    • Deluxe Room with Two Double Beds

Somewhat strange configuration of rooms, in that they overlooked the atrium where the restaurant and bar are located, so rather noisy (on the Friday night when there was obviously a function in the hotel).

The staff at this hotel are extremely helpful and friendly. Breakfast was excellent. We ate in the restaurant one evening. Service was a little slow, but everything was freshly cooked and there were 14 of us! Rooms spacious and comfortable. Swimming pool very good - a real bonus.

An overnight stay to celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary where we spent our wedding night.
    • Superior King Room

Problematic plumbing in bathroom caused blocked toilet in morning.

Friendly helpful staff. Wished a happy anniversary on check in. Celebratory bottle of wine and fruit platter in room and anniversary card from hotel. The nice personal touches that make the difference.

Perfectly agreeable

The price for breakfast not pre booked was extortionate, but With a major coffee chain almost next door there were cheaper options.

A lovely recently refurbished room, very clean and comfortable.

The rooms are newly refurbished, spacious, and comfortable

Having to pay car parking charges. I reported a problem in the room and nothing was done to rectify it.

The rooms are newly refurbished, spacious, and comfortable

Most enjoyable and relaxing short break we've had in a long time
    • Deluxe Room with Two Double Beds

I don't think there was anything I didn't like

The staff were so accommodating and friendly everywhere from reception to restaurant to health suite to room service. The food was excellent and lots of choice and at a reasonable price. Would definitely stay again 😁

Rooms very clean and spacious.

Rooms very clean and spacious. Excellent location as not far from the outlet centre. Breakfast was very good with a wide selection of cereals, fruits and hot food to choose from.

Very comfortable and relaxing ,Pleasant surroundings keep up the good work

N/a very comfortable and relaxing

My partner and myself were very impressed with the decor , friendliness of the staff The amenities on site So a big thank you and I will definitely be recommending you to friends and family

Not as good as the other times that I have stayed.

Asked to pay over 16£ for breakfast for me & he could not think of a price for my Grand daughter. I could have brought a leg of lamb for that price in France!!

I was rather disapointed about the BREAKFAST after paying over a 100 pounds I would have expected BREAKFAST even a little, so has made me change my mind about staying with you again, as coming off the Ferry from France, I would have expected the BREAKFAST to be included. We were recomonded this room for my self & Grand daughter one bed. What would you think.!!

High expectations but poor service

We requested late check out and paid the additional amount. Morning of check out at 08.30am woken up by intermittent drilling and banging coming from above us. When I rung reception the staff advice we could change room, which is absurd when we were due to check out in 5 hours. We were not prewarned about any work that would be going on in the building during our stay. We had to request to speak to the manager to get help. Also paid for a continental breakfast with out meats and cheese but I was not given the additional extras such as cereal, fruit and yogurt. I was charged the full amount for the breakfast.

Good size room and bathroom facilities were good.

It was good
    • Deluxe Room with Two Double Beds

I booked a 2 nights stay in Marriot portsmouth through booking.com. I prepared the money to pay for them. I wasnt told that Marriot Hotel will charge extra £100 to cover for any food consumed inside the room which we came in the fridge was empty anyway. If i didnt have extra money to cover our stay our booking will be abandoned and will ended up no where to stay. This is a bad communication between booking.com and marriot hotel.

The room is good.

A comfortable nights sleep in an unexceptional but family friendly Hotel.

Noisy and hostile reception and eating area as no soundproofing in the ceiling and right next to an indoor swimming pool. Paintings in the room were odd and alarmed one of our children. Internet was included in one of the room rates but access was blocked as Hotel placed credit card on room with no Internet and accessing Internet required being able to charge the £12 fee before being reimbursed. I explained all this to reception who showed no interest in making an adjustment. The money was not the issue compared to the general lack of interest in how we were inconvenienced. 3 separate waiters asked us how our meal was going - one would have been enough.

Rooms were comfortable - We were placed in 2 connecting rooms with our children which was nice gesture. Staff generally friendly - Restaurant food was high quality. Looked like a good place for families with noisy children.

Comfortable for one night but did expect more for what we paid.
    • Deluxe Room with Two Double Beds

Parking should be free for guests. Breakfast - not enough choice for the price. No yogurt pots - all the yogurts were out in the open to put in a bowl. Not much available for myself as I am lactose intolerant. Not enough pastry choices or fruit juice choices. Staff in the leisure centre could have been nicer. Surprising that the pool shut at 8 considering there was a large event happening. Young man was very rude to my mum when she tried to take my daughter to the pool. In the bathroom there was a pair of boys pants left over and there was the old shower gel packet - does this mean the bathroom wasn’t checked from the last stay? The bed on the left was tilted-broken?

Reception staff were very friendly. Room was nice and big. Mini fridge in the room. Hotel was huge and there was lots of parking.

Comfortable beds
    • Deluxe Room with Two Double Beds

The smell from the chemicals used in the pool and spa waft through to the open plan restaurant - not a pleasant place to have dinner. The pool/spa is not 100% separate from the open plan lounge/restaurant and we can't see what can be done to solve this problem. Strangely this smell isn't there first thing in the morning at breakfast so it must be something to do with the chemicals used when the pool/spa is open.

Comfortable beds

Good value for money, and easy access to visit many attractions in Portsmouth.
    • Deluxe Room with Two Double Beds

The parking was not free and only discovered when we saw the parking meters on arrival . The person/people next room to our hotel room woke up very early and kept making noise with the doors and movement. And this disturbed my sleep. 🙁Initially the room was cold and there were no instructions how to use the aircon.

The room was reasonably big enough for two adults and one child. I enjoyed the selection of the breakfast.

The room was clean and comfortable good space the bathroom...

I think for the money you pay you should get free Wi-Fi in your rooms and a better variety of gluten-free food.

The room was clean and comfortable good space the bathroom was clean shower was probably the best I have had. the bed was really comfortable breakfast was nice and good quality.

Perfect night away, would love to have stayed longer,
    • Deluxe Room with Two Double Beds

Room was so comfortable, bed was cosy, room had been newly decorated as was so welcoming, not sure about the 🐦 picture but loved the mirror that did not steam up in the bathroom 👍👍 plug by a mirror to dry your hair and an adjustable chair, Health spa very nice, steam room was perfect and so was the jacuzzi, Very impressed

Staff were friendly,

Having to pay for car parking as a Hotel Guest......unbelievable. Having £50 put on your credit card as you check in, so that food/drink can be charged to your room.

The bed was really comfortable.

Good facilities brilliant breakfast

Comfortable bed , very spacious room , loved getting there and being able to go for a swim and then go back to our room relax and then go down to the 50th birthday that was being held in the same hotel.

Comfy hotel, but further from attractions than we realised
    • Deluxe Room with Two Double Beds

Pool a bit small and wouldn't allow my 15 year old in after 8pm. Bit mean with the toiletries and water in the room. Family room for 3 people, but only supplied 2 cups and glasses.

Good breakfast, helpful staff.

On the whole excellent

I was really close to building work and construction so found it difficult to relax in my room and watch tv, as I had a very strenuous week previously, I would of appreciated a nap, but was unable to due to the drilling.

The swimming pool, jacuzzi and sauna. I also liked bottle of water in my room and complementary coffee.

Excellent location and great value for money.

Use of hairdryer not clear but resolved after discussions with housekeeping. Kettle in room leaks slightly, but not too much of a problem.

Accessible room as requested and excellent facilities.

Perfect location for a trip to Portsmouth.
    • Deluxe Room with Two Double Beds

On arrival we were told that there had been a mix up and we had lost our delux family room and the hotel was fully booked and all we could have was a standard double, which was no good for a family of 4. However the manager sorted everything out and somehow managed to find a room large enough to fit an extra 2 beds. So overall we have no complaints, all handled extremely well....

Nice room, lovely breakfast and very helpful staff, particularly the manager who sorted out the mix up with our room.

The bar and restaurant staff were friendly and looked after...
    • Deluxe Room with Two Double Beds

The pool was overcrowded. There was no bedside table on one side of each double bed. We were not made aware in advance that there would be an additional charge to park.

The bar and restaurant staff were friendly and looked after us well. The free kids meals were a welcome bonus. The room was spacious, quiet and comfortable overall.

Good but not excellent.

we found a packet of cigarettes in a drawer in the room and some plastic in the bed sheets. The hotel tried to charge for wifi but this is free for members. It was not stated at time of booking that a charge for wifi is made, in my opinion, totally unnecessary in this day and age.

location suited our needs, comfortable room and good gym/pool facilities.

Good hotel, lovely decor, comfortable rooms however staff :(

Staff simse to forget that they are working in hospitality. Information are pass different by the staff to the guests. Had the enquiry 2 times my bill in 12 hour.

The decor, facilities even though the pool require a bit of update

Comfortable and the food excellent

Car park charges were not notified when booking and the noise from the leisure club is very noticeable when sitting in the restaurant/bar because it is only seperated by padded boards.

Excellent room, breakfast was exceptional everything was offered, more than other hotels where we have stayed.

A fabulous hotel but use the beefeater next door if you want fast service.

The on-site restaurant was not adequately staffed to cope with meal demands. Very slow to even get our starters. We waited over an hour! We left before the main meal not happy.

The bed was a good size!!!

Check in at 3pm arrived at 6pm yet room was still not ready...

Check in at 3pm arrived at 6pm yet room was still not ready to my surprise waited another 45 mins till this was sorted wasn’t impressed to say the least apart from that a pleasant stay

Great location, friendly staff, comfortable rooms, perfect for a short stay.

It took 2 hours for our food to come including starters. We were a party of ten and were told there would be a delay but no time given. Had we known it was going to be that lon we would not have eaten there. The kids food took 1.5 hrs. The excuse we were given was the restaurant was very busy yet we saw tables served who came in after us. The waitress Anjali was excellent and tried her best to keep us happy. I think the chef needed better skills in managing larger numbers.

The variety of the breakfast was very good

Very good would visit again.
    • Deluxe Room with Two Double Beds

The only thing that could have been better was that the swimming pool was shut for a day and the jucuzzi broke down.

The beds were very comfortable and the breakfast was excellent. We would stay there again the staff were very helpful and friendly.

Wonderfully Great Relaxation!
    • Deluxe Room with Two Double Beds

Only thing I can dislike is the fact I had my car cleaned around the corner at Tesco and after one nights sleeep some damn bird had s**t all over my car!! Not the hotels fault but really p****d me off haha...

The Breakfast was Delicious, you know when you have sausages and you can taste they have been there for hours, well everything on this buffet was so fresh and yummy!

All great except for bedtime.

The mattress probably the most uncomfortable we have ever slept on. Extremely hard and lumpy!

Reception staff, especially Lauren, were brilliant and service generally very good all round. Room refurbished clean and comfortable. Breakfast excellent with very good food and choice.

The facilities and friendly staff
    • Deluxe Room with Two Double Beds

The noise to our adjacent room in 105 can be heard. They arrived at 4am and started some loud music and chats that can be heard to our room and my 2 kids has woken ip from the noise.

The facilities and friendly staff

My father sadly passed away on Friday evening at the local...

My father sadly passed away on Friday evening at the local hospital. My daughter and I arrived after midnight and the staff provided water, sandwiches and drinks promptly despite the late hour. Flower the maid was so kind to my daughter and myself and asked if she could provide water etc for our onward journey. So a big thank you to the evening staff and Flower on the 23rd March for their understanding and care at such a sad time.

Staff are great, and it's a modern, clean building.
    • Superior King Room

The location is awful, you have to get a cab if you want to go anywhere other than the local Beefeater, but if you're driving I suppose this isn't a problem.

Staff are great, and it's a modern, clean building.

Very nice, we will return!
    • Deluxe Room with Two Double Beds

Having to wait quite a while for any service getting a drink and food in the bar/restaurant area. It is NOT the working staffs fault, it was that a couple of extra staff on duty would make all the difference.

A nice warm room, in very cold weather and a very comfortable bed.

Any company that steals from its customers is a bad company, unfortunately this is a bad company.

They could not have stolen money from me. Disgusted by my experience with this Hotel, I will be taking further action against them. Avoid at all costs. Any company that steals from its customers is a bad company, unfortunately, this is a bad company.