Reviews of Premier Inn Birmingham Broad Street - Canal Side 3 stars

Bridge Street, Birmingham, B1 2JR, United Kingdom

#46 of 78 hotels in Birmingham

• Twin/Double Room

The overall stay was great but we had an unfortunate incident of the room being flooded and had to move half way through the stay. The host at Breakfast Joyce is amazing she more helpful than alot of waiters in 5 star restaurant.

The room was a little small and hot. The vending machine was out of order so we didn't have any water.

The location was excellent and within walking distance to the city centre. Joyce at breakfast was the highlight of our stay, she was friendly, helpful and just a ray of sunshine, a real gem.

Hotel and staff excellent. We didn’t use WiFi or eat there so cannot comment. The only inconvience is the parking, from the pictures it look like you can park directly outside hotel but you can’t. So that is the biggest misleading thing I felt. Wasn’t a deal breaker but did have the inconvenience of driving to a different car park.

The bed was very clean and comfortable. Evening staff was very accommodating to help order a take away to hotel and bring it up to our room.

When I arrived and payed for my room and breakfast included .in the morning I was charged for my breakfast as apart of staff at reception hadn't put myour room on he check list

Comfortable beds .clean and tidy .restaurant staff very friendly

Would have preferred a rom overlooking the canal. The vegetarian sausage was over cooked.

The staff and location were excellent. The quality of facilities and comfort were as expected of a Premier Inn.

No car park. No telephone or fridge in room. Our first night was very noisy until the early hours. Youths singing and shouting in their room and in the corridor until 00:45. They then left the hotel and came back after 05:00. Language was terrible and they had no consideration for anyone else. Without a phone in the room I was unable to call reception or security. We reported it next morning and receptionist gave us a direct number to call if it happened again. Fortunately it didn’t. Did take the edge off our stay.

Staff friendly and helpful. Menu was good and nice selection for breakfast. Conveniently placed.

We booked a family room and only had a room with one double bed. It was ok as my daughter was happy to sleep in the bed aswell but usually for a family room booking we have a extra single bed in the room. Lack of nearby parking was a slight inconvenience. The bathroom was not as clean as it could have been.

The lovely breakfast. Excellent customer care provided by all staff. Joyce really looked after us at breakfast.

Rooms are a bit small: there's no room for suitcases to be opened.

Very comfortable bed. Good breakfast with a very friendly and helpful staff at the restaurant, especially Joyce, Milena and Gosia

• Quad Room (2 Adults & 2 Children)

Website shows parking available, which is why I booked it. to be told it was only for blue badge holders and I had to pay £25 to park in a car park over a quarter of a mile away is not acceptable.

hotel was nice.

• Quad Room (2 Adults & 2 Children)

Decor was up to date and a nice colour. The room was comfortable and stylish. The facilities first rate and cleaned every day. We particularly liked the lift since we had a heavy case. The in-house restaurant was good and a nice place to dine in. The location of the Inn is spot on as well. Just minutes from the station and has a high number of restaurants and good quality shops nearby, particularly The Mailbox! It was handy for visiting the museum and Art gallery.

• Triple Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

Would have loved to have breakfast on the day of departure, but 7.30 am was too late for us (Saturday).

Excellent value in the restaurant and very friendly staff. Short walk from the railway station. Very quiet room.

The above

Unfortunately due to the staff not being able to make it in for the snow breakfast was awful nothing was being topped up and the waitress had to also cover reception poor girl

Bad treatment from security guard. Freezing cold room no heating. Radiator didn’t work and even if it did it was by the window so the hot air would escape through the badly glazed windows. Had a mini heater but this was also useless unless stood by it. It was -6 outside!

I liked the reception staff and how friendly they were. Bad treatment from security guard though. Lovely room, slightly on the small side but enough for one night. Beautiful view of the canal to look at.

Had to wait 5 minutes before a staff member arrived at reception to check me in, room was quite small, heating very noisy, noisy hotel with doors banging all the time (it was a Monday night so imagine it's absolutely awful at the weekend).

Nice new clean room, great shower, comfortable bed

• Quad Room (2 Adults & 2 Children)

There wasn't anything I didn't like

It was clean great location very comfy the staff were amazing expecially Joyce in the restaurant.joyce is a credit to the place very friendly and good at her job nothing was to much trouble made our stay extra special there was a gang of us there made sure we all sat together and even small cake small Bottle pressecco for my husband 50th birthday. The reception staff cleaning staff we all lovely and accomodating definitely stay again thanks .

Would like car parking

I rate it 10, nice and clean comfortable bed. Dinner and breakfast was really nice, staff very helpful would recommend this hotel

No faults.

Location. Near train station. City centre. Amazing staff. Best restaurant by canals large room & bathroom. Quite good sleep. Loved it.

Room 3, bar prices were very high just made us drink elsewhere

We were placed in disabled room which was cold, with no drawers for storage very little hanging space etc. and a large basic room , we were given a storage heater which was not really adequate, staff were very good to be honest, just disappointed with the room facilities

• Quad Room (2 Adults & 2 Children)

I did not like the service on the second morning of our stay. I was greeted by the waitress and was able to choose a table to sit at. All good so far. Half way through breakfast I was asked to pay as the head staff had checked my room number and we apparently had checked out which puzzles me as i hadn't been asked for my room number and I hadn't checked out ?? I said I would pay after I had eaten it seemed to me that perhaps the staff thought I wouldn't pay ?? and it felt to me and the others who was with me we were being watched throughout the whole of breakfast The whole situation was uncomfortable and embarrassing and although I had a very good stay and will return We won't use the restaurant We had eaten in the restaurant on the Saturday night and had breakfast on the Sunday and the service was excellent no issues with payment then .

Plenty of choice in the continental section and the cooked breakfast was dilicious although in my opinion the bacon was extremely salty.

Everything was fine but if I was to be really picky maybe more milk in the room and to have water re stocked in the vending machines

Staff were all lovely , very good breakfast

No onsite parking available

Bed really comfortable, room clean & tidy, breakfast was lovely and the staff were really friendly and couldn't do enough for you

• Quad Room (2 Adults & 2 Children)

The name of the hotel was not very clear - Apparently theres another Premier Inn Broad Street. Should make it clear to guests out of town to tell the taxi driver that it is Premier Inn Bridge Streer. The carpark area was very slippery because of the ice.

Staff were very polite. Facilities were very nice. There was an unexpected tub in the room.

Booked months ago, requested a canalside room about 10 days before arrival via booking.com. Told on arrival they were “full” A little disappointed.

Comfortable,updated room if a little smaller than expected. Good location and great bath

• Quad Room (2 Adults & 2 Children)

Theres alot of hills to walk, to get to the hotel, not so great when you like me, have diabilities, so it was a hard walk from the station and vise versa. In the information, it says all things are kinda nearby, but they aint. It would be nice with a mini bar, so we could have Cold drinks, or a machine in the hall with Cold drinks. I had to keep asking for toiletpaper, kindly keep that in mind and put some rolls for the guest in the room. The heater was really bad, the room was really Cold. Breakfast could be more vegan friendly and it need hot chocolat for kids, my daugther dont drink coffee/tea.

The bed! OMG best bed I ever had in a hotel, I sleept like a dream. Big blanket, many pillows and great madress THANK YOU! Vey nice staff. Fine breakfast, happy there was soymilk. Big bathroom, that was so great and big towels. Theres a lift, thats great.

Liked it all. The room had everything you could want and so did the rest of the hotel. It was full, and deservedly so.

It was excellent all round, particularly the staff, but the absolute star was Joyce who was wonderful at breakfast. All the other reviews are right. She’s marvellous.

Not enough tea/coffee/milk in room on arrival. No evacuation plan fitted to rear of door in case of emergency

The bed was very comfortable, nice large room with ample facilities.

• Double Room - Disability Access

We arranged to have the rooms pre-paid by filling in the credit card authorization form. The form did not have the required information on it for the pre-payment to go through so our guests had to wait to be allowed to go to their rooms. It should be a basic process to ask on the form for the full card details, not just the first and final numbers - it made no sense.

We were there for the Life Conference so the location was ideal. Comfortable, well sized rooms.

Poor choice of draught lager in the restaurant, Only One available, which failed to deliver, despite attempts by staff to remedy the problem? Alternative lager was available by way of expensive 330ml bottles! My first choice for food from the menu was Gammon Steak; but was not available!

The Staff were extremely friendly and very helpful! Unlike numerous other Premier Inns I have stayed at, I was delighted that at breakfast, the usual Bacon, Sausage, Egg, Beans etc, were self-service - much quicker and more efficient than waiter/waitress ordering.

I didn't like the fact our car wasn't parked at the hotel. Also we were only there for 3 nights but by the time we had hung up our clothes for the evening out there was no other space. It could have done with drawer space. Also my bedside table was a stool!!!

The room was clean and functional and the hotel was central to what I needed. The highlight was a wonderful lady called Joyce from the breakfast restaurant. She was so cheery and welcoming I would come back just for that reason.

• Quad Room (2 Adults & 2 Children)

lack of parking lack of friendly staff except Joyce at breakfast.. loverly lady !! Played sport arrived to order food at 21:05 and was told food had stopped at 21:00 !! we ordered take out and food had drinks in the restaurant /bar area whilst waiting for take out ...however food was still being served 50 minutes later .. they would not even do a bowl of chips .. we own a restaurant and this is not customer friendly !!!

basic

The room was to hot even with windows open. Had problems with booking in at reception with one member of staff who may need more training.(Took us over an hour)

The room in general, USB ports etc

• Triple Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

You are advised that if you want a change of towels to leave them in the bath. Both days there when I came back in the afternoon/evening I found my towels hanging on the back of the bathroom door. After leaving them lying in the bottom of the wet bath we were hardly expected to re-use them. The first evening after complaining we received clean towels and the second evening I went to reception and collected towels myself. Not what you expect to have to do when you book any hotel.

Comfy bed. Good breakfast. Quiet.

Although there is drop off parking there's no on site car parking and parking in the vacinity is not cheap. ..this has to be factored into your stay

The staff we're absolutely fantastic. ..nothing too much trouble for them. They were warm friendly and full of fun whilst being professional I had a great weekend.

• Quad Room (2 Adults & 2 Children)

We had a lot of lugage and there is no cupboard or anything to put your clothes in. The toilet is right next to the sink not so smart when you are using the bathroom with two people at the same time

Good breakfast, in the neighbourhood are shops and restaurants

• Quad Room (2 Adults & 2 Children)

paid for 2 night stayed 1 and was told will get refund. over a month nothing parking was far and had kids so we booked another via booking same night and staff said to let them know before 12 to cancel and nd refund. really been messed around not happy

• Quad Room (2 Adults & 2 Children)

The car park on the booking is nothing like what is there,we had to park about 5-10 mins away,whereas on the booking it states a car park.

The staff were lovely,especially Joyce who helped us both mornings for breakfast,she was so helpful and friendly and such a bubbly person.The beds are so comfy and relaxing.Fantastic weekend away.

• Quad Room (2 Adults & 2 Children)

Rooms need to be air conditioned.

The location is fantastic, close to the Mailbox, restaurants and canal walks. You do need to close the window, otherwise it can be very noisy. There is no air conditioning, so with the window closed it was quite warm( end of August). Bed is very comfortable and staff very accommodating. Would recommend the hotel but not in the height of summer.

• Triple Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

The room air conditioning was not functioning at all and the Temp was 28deg all the time we stayed at the hotel , sleep was unbearable , an email was sent which is still awaiting a reply .

The hotel frontage feels like you are entering round the back and there is minimal car parking. the hotel layout is a bit odd with card readers half way along a corridor, I see the need for it from a security point of view.

The staff were very friendly but professional, the hotel was very clean, obviously just had an upgrade it was close to some major construction but it was the bank holiday so there was no noise. Lovely setting by the canal and very central.

• Quad Room (2 Adults & 2 Children)

I didn't like booking.coms photo description of the hotel, your pictures are totally wrong,thought we was at the wrong hotel, no onsite parking..... You really need to update your site...

Couldn't fault the hotel, staff were friendly hotel was spotless very clean....

• Twin/Double Room

Late reception staff flirting with security whilst dealing with our check in. Seemed a little uninterested

Location ideal for our stay visiting Edgbaston

• Twin/Double Room

Asked for room with canal view but windows were so high up couldn't see out them

Hotel was ideally situated within easy reach of broad street. In Birmingham for concert barclaycard arena was within easy walking distance. Couldn't fault this hotel

the lady at the reception. Wrong map (wrong location) carpet in the room + stoffen stoelen in restaurant = niet proper

location + Joyce the breakfast lady

• Triple Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

The air conditioning wasn't working. Plus we had our room suppose to be till 12 the following Day but was woken up before 9 with the maid just coming into our room not once twice and the lady on reception when we arrived was useless like if she didn't want to help u in any way.

Air conditioning not working! Bathroom is not suit for me and my girlfriend cos we are deaf! Breakfast wait too long over hour! Car park not here as I saw the pictures on the booking website, seem lied!

Nice to stay Nice big bed Nice tea Big double room

• Twin/Double Room

Difficult to cool room (in a heatwave), some concern over exit in case of fire (this in the week of Grenfell Tower), as security very good, two sets of security doors etc. Workmen in building meant no lift, I travel light so no real problem, but some noise in morning..

Good location for conference centres, excellent and comfortable room if a bit small, superb breakfast and friendly staff.

Size of room, too small for two people, had to ask for extra towels and teas/coffee sachets. Builders working very noisily under our room at 7.15 am!

Nothing at all!

After crossing the road on the bend and walking up the entrance road caution needs to be taken at all points

The location for Birmingham New Street Station a 5 minute walk away the polite and friendly nature of all the staff within the hotel together with good food served for an evening meal and an added bonus a freshly cooked to order breakfast after a great nights sleep I would also say that the windows had a retaining bar to stop them opening wide helpful for families

• Twin/Double Room

No air conditioning and windows only open partially. It was +26 degrees at night in my room so not so comfortable. Also room could do with some refurbishment as multiple marks on the walls and worn off boards under sink in the bathroom.

Location was great, walking distance to train station and to the convention centre.

On the Sunday morning there was a homeless man sleeping on the front grassed area of the hotel!

Next to the canal watching interesting boats and people going by.

• Quad Room (2 Adults & 2 Children)

The room was so hot, especially with the four of us all in it. Air con or access to some air in the room would have made sleeping easier. It was about 28° overnight, only being able to open the windows a crack was frustrating!

Great location, close to restaurants and bars and less than a 10 min walk to the Barclaycard Arena where my daughter was competing at the weekend. The staff were friendly especially Joyce at Breakfast and the girl running the bar in the evening. The lady on reception who greeted us when we arrived was lovely too and we all felt very welcome.. The room was great, the bed comfy and the bathroom clean with a great shower in the bath. The room had everything we needed for our short stay. Breakfast was plentiful and good. There was something for everyone and kids eat free (my girls are 13 and 14 and ate free) which is great. They had fruit, croissants, bacon and sausages! We had a cooked breakfast, juice and coffees. The room was great value for money and I would highly recommend staying here. It would be ideal for those who want to have a night out in Birmingham, or are attending an event at the arena. If you are on a budget it is the perfect choice.

• Twin/Double Room

Saturday evening we tried to eat at the hotel restaurant. We waited 1 hour for the meal, which was very poorly cook, partly not to eat. My wife had a bad condition the next day due to the chicken. French fries were partly raw. We tried dessert, which was OK, and we were not charged for dessert, I suppose a compensation for the waiting time. Bath top was extremely slippery, so I fell, and hurt my back and head. This before i started to use soap. A safetymat would be strongly recomended.

Freindly staff. Nice neighbourhood with a lot of restaurants. Situated near towncenter. Ok WiFi.

• Reviewed: 15 June 2017

• Twin/Double Room

The room I stayed in was old and the shower literally took 3-4mins to warm up. The front half of the hotel recently underwent refurb so perhaps that is better. However, the refurb took over the car park so now there is NO PARKING despite falsely advertising this on their website. You have to park on the street or parking garages 5minutes away - a real pain if you forget something in your car etc they ought to do something about this.

The location is excellent - prime spot on the canal right next to the mailbox and 3mins walk to ICC and restaraunt centre. Breakfast was excellent and overlooks the canal! Staff very friendly and helpful.

Bed was uncomfortable as it was two singles joined together and you could feel the spine as you turned over . Not good for a couple as may as well slept in a single bed. Disappointed as was guaranteed a good nights sleep from premier inn.

Easy access to centre,and overlooked canal . Good for walking. Staff helpful and pleasant.

The staff were very nice, however on Saturday 10th June we ate in the Thyme restaurant, the drinks took about 15 minutes to arrive and we had to ask the waitress for them, she got two of the drinks wrong and had to change them, 45 mins into ordering the food still had not arrived, we eventually had to ask the manager and my husband even spoke to the chef who was rude and ignored us, after an hour our food arrived, was wrongly cooked and things missing, our starter never arrived and we were told afterwards that they did not have any garlic bread. The restaurant was very quiet with no more than 4 small parties and couples, these people had still not be served by the time we left. We complained to the receptionist who took notes and went to find out what was going on,

Very clean comfortable and great location, amazingly comfortable bed

• Twin/Double Room

The welcome on arrival was luke warm at best, with no info about needing to use your key card to make the lift work or other details about changes at the hotel given. Having stayed here several times before we were very disappointed that the car park had disappeared. An unsecured public car park half a kilometre away is not a good alternative. Also, the breakfast regime had changed for the worse with everything now buffet style whereas before there was service for the cooked food. The only drinking water available was bottles from the bar when open at £1.90 for a small bottle.

Joyce at breakfast!

• Twin/Double Room

The restaurant was chaotic when a bit busy with possibly not enough staff. Out of quite a few dishes and from what I can gather a complete change of kitchen equipment recently with no grills or deep fat dryers now. So ? lack of training for kitchen staff. All meals ttook an age to come out but when arrived food was hot and tasty. Breakfast was fine.

Friendly helpful staff

• Twin/Double Room

The smoking area is right below the windows , so in the hot summer if you want you window open you room smells of smoke ! Lack of parking

Friendly staff

• Reviewed: 2 June 2017

Breakfast the first day (continental) was great - second day there was no butter or natural yoghourt.

Very comfy mattress and excellent very central yet quietish location, close to the ICC where I needed to be. Good shower pressure.

The gap restrict or on the window is ridiculously small. It was a hot weekend and I couldn't get the room below 25 degrees. The canal area is pretty noisy at the weekend....especially having to have the window open......drunk people and geese!!

Nice view onto canal and very handy for the ICC. Clean room with a bath.

• Twin/Double Room

Front room very noises but they very helpful staff moved me to a quieter room which was great!

Great, central location on the canal. Very helpful staff.

Building work currently - now mentioned on the booking.com advert but it wasn't when I booked, would have been nice to have been warned of this though it didn't really impact upon my stay.

Breakfast v good, staff excellent, especially Milena

Offers off street parking but car park was a work site. No plugs by the bed. Squeaky bed tiny room and tiny tv. Smell of tarmac in room from workers and unable to regulate temp in room so it was cols. Light in bathroom didn't work either.

There wasn't anything godlike. No redeeming features at all

• Twin/Double Room

The serving dishes at breakfast were very small; this meant staff kept having to replenish things which caused unnecessary queue. I feel this could be solved with larger serving dishes for main items.

The beds are particularly comfortable. The staff is this hotels biggest asset, they are particularly cheerful, helpful and pleasant.

• Reviewed: 7 May 2017

• Twin/Double Room

Only one tea bag and coffee each (no choice). If your room overlooks the car park it currently looks like building site as hotel is being extended. But as it is temporary I would definitely recommend and stay again.

Great location as we were eating at the mailbox. Our room had a canal view which was a bonus. Beds were extremely comfortable as was the bedding. Hotel secure and quiet.

• Reviewed: 7 May 2017

• Twin/Double Room

the room space is very small. small wardrobe. the toilet is very small. no table and no space in either side of the beds. The rooms are never at par with the photos shown in the website. Little costly compared to the facilities

the hotel is the most economical in this area near the ICC. Lot of main attractions are in the walk away distance, the canal is right in the rear. the new street station and the bullring is hardly 200 meters . good house keeping and good breakfast

• Reviewed: 23 April 2017

So above kind of says it all.

The situation was in the middle of a building site. No parking available. Were sent to a piece of wasteland used for parking and were advised by people who use it daily not to leave our car overnight as it would get trashed. This was confirmed by the guy who seemed to be looking after the car park during the day. We could not risk our car. We tried to find another car park but there weren't any and the whole area is a building site. So we had to come home. Missed a concert and paid out a lot of money for nothing. Can't understand why you didn't know as we booked through you. Will try and get our money back from Premiere Inn but I don't hold out much hope. Obviously won't use them ever again.

• Reviewed: 16 April 2017

1 room and view, building, access and bar being closed

We booked 2 rooms, one ok , the other was not the size we expect of premier inn. The bar and restaurant did not open until 5 pm and there are extensive building works being undertaken making access to the hotel very difficult. The temporary entrance is narrow, uneven and dirty with empty drinks cups and cigarette ends everywhere. 1 of the party did have walking difficulties. Building was not mentioned at time of booking. Thank goodness we were only staying 1 night.

• Reviewed: 12 April 2017

• Twin/Double Room

The car park is still under renovation which we were aware was ongoing at the time of booking but with the earlier estimated completion time of end of March. Although this did not affect us directly as the construction work was at reasonable times outside of when we were in the hotel and we did not have a car with us, we felt that a courtesy email should have been sent to inform customers that the construction work had bypassed the deadline, especially to avoid any unwelcome surprises for those with a car who would have had to park off site. Additionally, the photos on booking.com for the twin rooms did not truly reflect reality- the room was slightly smaller than depicted with less space between the beds. Nonetheless, we did not mind this at all as the room was still comfortable and clean with lovely beds. There was an additional space heater set up for our arrival which was very thoughtful, however this was over one of the hottest weekends in spring thus far! An electric fan would have been more useful as the room was quite warm and has no air-conditioning, but we did manage to crack open the window which had a good safety mechanism. Moreover, extra electric sockets on both sides of the room adjacent to the beds would have been handy, although not needed during our short stay.

The beds were very comfortable, and the extra pillows were a nice touch. Clean room overlooking a surprisingly quiet part of the canal. The staff were friendly and very helpful, and allowed us to store our luggage securely before and after check-in and check-out. The central location was great with lots of places to shop, eat and explore in the area.

• Twin/Double Room

The parking was terrible as the hotel car park was closed off and the outside of the hotel was a building site. It cost us a lot of money to park on street as the near by car parks were all full up.

Everything was fine.Nothing was outstanding. It was an adequate base for what we came to Birmingham for.

• Reviewed: 6 April 2017

• Twin/Double Room

This particular Inn is having a lot of building work done and this isn't mentioned when booking. We would have stayed at another one if we had known how extensive it was.

The bed was lovely and comfy and the locations was great.

• Twin/Double Room

Ongoing building work is making the area very messy, but this was explained when booking. When finished will be a very smart hotel in a perfect position for visiting Birmingham.

Have stayed before and as usual never disappointed with the welcome from the reception staff and standard of the room - excellent.

Shame about the works going on but didn't disturb sleep and will be for the better in the end

Bed was amazing and i asked for the room to be decorated for my partners birthday. I just expected a balloon or two but arrived to lots of balloons, banners, party poppers, confetti and a card. It was a great effort and so greatly appreciated. Thank you! Only thing i could fault... no pen in the room to write on the comments card ;-)

• Reviewed: 19 March 2017

No car parking and closest is cash only which we weren't told and is not mentioned on website

The rooms were clean, tidy and comfortable. The breakfast was excellent and the staff were very helpful and friendly

• Reviewed: 19 February 2017

• Twin/Double Room

Major re-furbishing/building works taking place. Access poor and no parking. Odour of drains in bathroom.

Very good breakfast and helpful/cheerful staff.