Reviews of Premier Inn Cardiff North 3 stars

Pentwyn Road, Cardiff, CF23 7XH, United Kingdom

#32 of 48 hotels in Cardiff

No suggestions, all good.

The location was reasonably central and good without being too close to hustle and bustle of Cardiff. Room was comfortable and clean and shower good. Breakfast also great.

We went for breakfast at 9 and the continental selection was poor, but we managed. However, the staff were very helpful in assisting with carrying teas and coffees. Would of liked to be able to have at least got a snack when we arrived but the restaurant was closed. No biscuits in room.

• Triple Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

We were disappointed with food. The mains are different from what was written on the menu. I ordered a chicken and chorizo parcel that was awful. I should've had garlic potatoes with it, but it came only with a tasteless ,squashed jacket potato.

The room was clean and comfortable. However, the bathroom was small and we didn't like the showering area.

The room was dirty (eg chewing gum on bed headboard); the building was very shabby; the bathroom was tiny; there was no sound-proofing at all.

The staff were very helpful

• Triple Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

Hotel is a little dated now and needs uplifting, the bar could do with modernising to bring in more of the guests!!

Breakfast was nice plentiful and a good choice.

The rooms look nothing like the pictures, rooms small, bathroom was very very small. Not like premier inn I’ve stayed in before very disappointed not value for money! When asked the gentleman downstairs for a room that looked like the picture he admitted himself none of the rooms are like that pictures.. begs the question why false advertise to mislead people. Have to remember or ask for pin for gate or you will be stuck in the parking!

Amazing receptionist

No ventilation in bathroom. No power outlet by the bed, for charging mobile phone. Shower is fixed instead of on a hose. Tioletpaper-dispenser is the type where you only get one thin piece at a time 9x18 cm! And for some reason, the dispenser is placed behind toilet so it is almost impossible to reach it!? Bar closes early, even when there are customers. WiFi is very expensive.

Friendly and helpfull staff. Nice bed. Clean room.

• Triple Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

parking gates do not open on their own - need to get out of car to press the button -This needs to modernised

Nice & full english breakfast, welcoming staff & big room

• Triple Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

The room this time was small, it was much smaller than last time we visited with same amount of people staying, the bathroom was very small also and the bath was a disgrace I suppose we should have been grateful for a bath but all the enamel was coming off it really was an eyesore and at first I thought it hadn’t been cleaned so attempted to clean myself to see it was the enamel. Very disappointed because last time we came here it was PERFECT

The convenience of the property was perfect for our needs, car parking brilliant (always good to have parking on site ) staff very nice

Only minor quibble were a couple of noisy guests, but it had been rugby match weekend.

Accommodated me when I asked if my Daughter could stay over for one night, added extra bed . Food was nice, but always book if wanting on a Saturday evening.

I really could not find any faults at all

The food was well prepared and presented. The bed was really comfortable. The service was excellent as well as the staff.

Perhaps extra teabags/coffee/milk portions in the rooms would be good, although I'm sure if you ask at reception they would give you some.

Bed very comfy, full English breakfast excellent, our room was on the road side of the building but it was quiet and didn't disturb our sleeping, will definitely stay there again and would recommend to other travellers.

• Triple Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

The rooms and the corridors would benefit from an update, they are a bit dated, but clean. There was no safe in the room.

As stated by other reviewers this is an older Premier Inn and the doors do not keep the noise from other guests out. However, they emphasise with large signs on a quiet zone and the rooms are away from the bar / restaurant. The bed was very comfy as always with Premier Inn. The bar is cosy. Thanks to another reviewer we had asked for a room away from the motorway so it was quiet. The breakfast on Sunday was excellent, on Monday there was no fresh fruit salad, but the staff was very helpful and friendly.

• Quad Room (2 Adults & 2 Children)

Old dated bathroom, rusty fittings no hot water either day, rubbish shower, bedside light not working, small dated old style tv, noisy upstairs and in corridors

Big room extra beds made up in room, friendly reception and restaurant staff, good breakfast and nice fluffy towels, secure free parking

It was noisy, no sound proofing and looked tired. In need of updating. Every outside sound could be heard

Free car park. Location was easy to get to and on a bus route into the city centre

• Triple Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

Breakfast was chaotic, maybe not enough staff as they seemed rushed off their feet yet the coffee machine rarely had everything in it (or emptied out of it) to work properly and often there seemed to be no eggs, sausages etc etc. Some of the crockery could seriously do with replacing, difficult locate a high chair. All of this made breakfast extremely difficult to manage with two small children. The variety and quality of the food was great though. Bathroom so small you had to sidestep round the door to be able to close it and I am not a large person!

Really comfy bed. Good location. Really lovely cleaning staff.

• Quad Room (2 Adults & 2 Children)

Room was a bit hot even with heating turned off but that seems to be the way with these big hotels

Great location, free parking, really good restaurant which I didn’t expect Staff in all departments where very nice and friendly

Cold restaurant. Slow service. This hotel needs a good paint job. The paint work was really dirty, especially around the the doors. The shower was mouldy, needs new grout.

Hot water. Good size towels.

• Quad Room (2 Adults & 2 Children)

The staff didn’t understand my vegan preferences. The shower didn’t work very well and one of the electrical sockets didn’t work.

The breakfast options were good and once the staff understood my vegan diet they were happy to oblige.

• Triple Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

The size of room for 2 adults and one 9 year old boy smaller than our box room. Bathroom tiny i had to stand eitherside of toilet just toget door closed

The position in Cardiff was good

• Triple Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

Bit far out from centre. Room overlooked car park and a little noisy. Need more tea and coffee sachets in rooms.

Outside city centre, as we knew but was late when got to airport so we took a taxi. Pricey. Fab bus (x59 and 58) from just outside hotel into central Cardiff at Queen St. Lovely bar & restaurant. Husband & teenage son loved breakfast ( I didn't have one) and the pool table in bar. Very helpful staff. Clean warm room. Rooms need updating. Bathroom adequate but again, needs renovation. Great price. Shops nearby. Very comfy beds

Breakfart: Worst sausage I have ever eaten. Everything you had to wait for, queue for table, the buffet was not replenished on a regular.

very comfortable bed. good price

Bathroom a bit outdated ...Pity about the motorway below but it did not really worry us too much.

the hotel was near the big supermarkets and the Spire Hospital where we needed to go. Friendly staff and good housekeepers.

Breakfast standard not worth £8.99. WiFi kept cutting in and out. Outside building tired. View outside window weeds in guttering. Dripping over the window. Traffic noise had to leave window closed. Would be ok but no air con. Although did have fan.

That hotel used to be so very friendly, that was what brought us back at the beginning. I'm looking forward to when that feeling returns.

The bed was wonderful, as advertised.

• Triple Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

The doors could be automatic, possibly, as I struggled to enter and exit with a stroller.

the staff was so friendly and accommodating, making sure I was comfortable and happy at all times. The room was big with a total of 4 beds.

• Triple Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

The staff weren't helpful and put us in the wrong room to start with then phoned us early the next morning and woke us up saying we had to pay more as they didn't take the right amount of us to start with!

The room was nice and clean, very comfy beds!

• Quad Room (2 Adults & 2 Children)

we all had a good nights sleep, we all just felt at home and it was nice to see our children eating a fair bit more for breakfast and when we used the restaurant. the lay out was good and staff were always helpful, will be coming back when we need to be in or around Cardiff.

• Triple Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

Restaurant toilets dirty, the rooms bathroom was small/ grubby in corners and bath was dirty/stained and showing rust in areas.

Staff, bedroom area of room, bar/ pool table and restaraunt area

£65 a night plus breakfast at £8.99 is far too expensive for this hotel. Whoever cooked the eggs at breakfast hasn't got the faintest idea what they are doing. They were all like rubber trick ones you would get from a joke shop.

Plenty of parking Pleasant staff.

Parking onsite can be a long way from main entrance depending on the time of arrival.

Onsite restaurant food very good including buffet breakfast. Good variety. Proximity to the M4 great for day trips etc.

Room was on the small side for us but comfortable. So no real problem.

Parking was convenient, the bed was comfortable, the food was excellent, staff friendly, location was convenient for us.

• Double Room - Disability Access

the disabled room was great, but was at the end of a long corridor, anybody with walking difficulties would maybe struggle to get to it.

bed lovely we had a disabled room which had plenty of room to move around in.

• Quad Room (2 Adults & 2 Children)

Room was really hot with only a small fan

We stayed 2 nights- reception very helpful and food and service in the restaurant was lovely! Nice breakfast too!

• Triple Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

We could have used a small fridge in the room. There wasn't enough disabled parking spaces.

The bed was really comfy and the breakfast really good.

The food was poor, cheapest ingredients , not so cheap prices, many years ago I've stayed in other hotels from the chain in which I was happy to purchase the meal deal , dinner and breakfast, therefore I didn't hesitate this time but I was so close to asking for a refund. My breakfast consisted of a yogurt, everything else didn't look edible , I did pop an egg on a plate expecting to find more but instead I just put the egg back. My dinner was the very over cooked salmon fillet. In total I paid £26.99 yet consumed no more than £3 worth of food. The restaurant staff at dinner were polite enough but forgot my drink order and disappeared when I wanted to pay, also talking amongst themselves right next to paying customers, complaining about other staff members, seemed like too many of them with nothing to do. Breakfast staff were barely visible , I waited to be seated as per the sign but after 10 mins I just sat myself. Receptionist upon arrival just seemed to be going through the motions, bare minimum. The rooms and hallways are dated and dirty. The room was cleanish but not to my standard also there was a poo in the toilet but it didn't flush well during our stay so it's not surprising. The water from the sink had a funny smell, only 2 towels for 2 people for 2 days. No toiletries only an empty soap dispenser which probably wasn't clean. I don't think it was worth the £123 paid plus £26.99 for food. I've driven past this hotel many times on route to Cardiff , I've always been put off by the dirty old office block exterior , I decided to give it a try and now that I have I won't return. Also no bins to remove rubbish apart from one overflowing outside the main entrance. The neighbouring rooms were very noisy , slamming doors! Despite asking for a quiet room

Easy parking with plenty of spaces , the Shutters on the windows seemed great to block light and the noise from motorway was blocked by great double glazing. I was surprised how quiet it was!

• Double Room - Disability Access

Didnt like Booking.com. Booked on line to include breakfast but hotel claimed it was a room only booking, they phoned booking .com who said it was room only. This was incorrect as I purposley booked because breakfast was included. Breakfast had to be paid for. Also we were allocated a room for disabled people and it had a very low sink, suitable for a wheel chair user. The shower was over the bath so how would a disabled person use that. No draws to keep clothes etc

• Triple Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

The room was unbearably stuffy, yes I know most hotel rooms are but this is by far the worst I have ever experienced . I was so glad to get out of there every morning just so I could breathe. Even my four year old complained that she was so hot she couldn't sleep. I know premier inn is 'no frills' but to me air is not a luxury!

The staff were all so lovely, helpful and great with the kids, especially Julie at breakfast. Nothing was too much trouble.

• Quad Room (2 Adults & 2 Children)

The room was far too small for a family of 4, room too hot, child trugg bed too unconfortable and he could not sleep in it, the hotel had no alternatives of bed or any bigger rooms.

The choice at breakfast was good

• Triple Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

Did'nt like that there was no gym facility and the room did'nt have a fridge and microwave..had some medicines that needed to be kept in the fridge and I had to keep going to the kitchen staff to help me.

Location is very near to stores and yet quiet area..very friendly smiley staff always ready to help..

• Triple Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

We had dinner on our first night in the restaurant. The food was good but the service was appalling. The restaurant was not busy.The order was messed up , the plates were not removed after first course and we left the restaurant without being offered a dessert. The worst service I have ever experienced.

Generally a good experience.

• Quad Room (2 Adults & 2 Children)

It was terrible time off when we have an fire alarm in middle of the night sleepless night and no air conditioning, can't even breath in the room.

Nice bed, and bathroom, lovely breakfast

Room was very hot as it was during warm weather, difficult to sleep despite fan being provided. Service at dinner on one night was very slow - we waited almost an hour for starters, and the restaurant wasn't very busy.

Nice selection for breakfast, decent dinner menu. Colouring provided for kids at dinner. Staff helpful in advising on getting into city. Good size room.

• Double Room - Disability Access

The restaurant ran out of several items in the menus ( a black pudding starter but black pudding was available for breakfast????) they advertise pancakes with maple syrup but didn't have any maple syrup. So all in all the restaurant was shambolic. Insufficient staff for the number of guests. It's not rocket science.

Reception staff were great and the room ( for disabled people even though we are not) was excellent

• Double Room - Disability Access

The cleaners didn't empty the bins, the tables in our room and in the restaurant were sticky, it took over an hour to bring out our food, the room was boiling hot and they didn't have any fans left! It's summer! Every room should have a fan!

The food was ok

• Triple Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

Bed was uncomfortable, asked for low floor, put on the 6th asked to be moved, unable to do so. Shower didn't work properly not much water came out Room wasn't very clean, tired decor. Asked for quiet room was woken several times by people outside parking cars smoking etc

Breakfast second day of stay was really good

No fridge or safe in room. Not enough towels provided. Could do with some paint, looked tired.

Free parking, bar and restaurant on site, comfortable bed

Waited 15mins to be served drinks, then another 45mins for food, when it arrived it was wrong and got sent back, by which time the ovens in the kitchen had been switched off so no more food. We then ordered a dominoes. Restaurant wasn't busy so no excuses for such a long wait.

Staff at front desk helpful. Comfy beds.

Ability to change the room temperature - it was far too hot and the cooling system didn't work, presumably why there was a fan in the room Breakfast was ok- ran out of breakfast items really quickly and had to wait a little too long for replacements to be taken out, tea and coffee making facility was quite cramped The bar closed too early - couldn't get a drink after returning from a charity event just after 11pm

The bed was comfortable

• Double Room - Disability Access

Cleaning not the best on Sunday and the fire alarm went off in the middle of the night though it was dealt with very efficiently.

Good choice for breakfast and varied menu for dinner.beds very comfortable.

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

At the hotel nothing could have been better. Except the bed I think it may have seen better days.

Loved it all the food was great the room on the ground floor was just the ticket

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

Drinks were pricey, food was slow coming out. Sent steak back as was too red for friend. Staff looked very unhappy about it. Then in the morning tried to tell us despite a booking for 4 people that only one from each room was able to eat. We did get it in the end but it shouldn't of happened. Was also glad the inside was cleaner than the outside otherwise we wouldn't of stayed. Wi-Fi signal was terrible.

Receptionist was lovely.

• Triple Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

The restaurant and bar kept running out of things! Staff apologetci and quite pleaseant about it but................................................ No Pizza (Friday/Saturday) No Cheeseboard (Friday) No Sea Bass (Saturday) Salads (Saturday) were missing most of their ingredients. Sold out of white wine (Really!!!) SAturday Sold out of Brandy (Saturday) sold out of tonic water (Really!!) (Saturday) wont be going back

Noise from motorway. Bedroom and bathroom in particular weren't particularly clean. Shower didn't work very well.

Towels and bed-linen lovely and clean. Bed comfortable.

• Triple Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

The phone in the room didn't work. I reported to reception, the hairdryer also didn't work so as I couldn't phone down to reception I had to go down from the 5th floor to report, the receptionist barely spoke a word, just handed me a replacement, for what it was worth, my hair would have dried quicker just stepping outside 😂 The rest of the staff were friendly though.

The lady who served breakfast was incredibly helpful, checking allergen lists for my daughter. She was friendly and attentive. The beds were very comfy.

Breakfast buffet had a large variety of food. Dinner at restaurant was fairly good. Facilities were modern and typical of Premier chain. Convenient for car travelers, but not for others.

reception could have been more welcoming. Very busy location at the front of the hotel better at the back .

nice breakfast, friendly dining room staff , comfortable bed good value for money

• Triple Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

The bathroom is minute. Small point, but we much prefer toilet roll to paper squares.

The location was perfect for our purposes. The room was very comfortable.

• Triple Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

It was a very hot weekend and the aircon in the rooms could have been a bit better if controlled in the room,apart from that,excellent.

clean,friendly,comfortable,good prices,

• Reviewed: 18 May 2017

Looked very shabby outside but very clean and together inside.

the bed was comfy and it was very clean. Very quiet even though the M4 was right outside.

• Triple Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

Evening meal was very slow and staff were not helpful, when I asked for salad cream, the waitress looked at me as if I'd asked for caviar! She answered "No" We were not asked if we wanted any drinks from the bar and the staff just talked amongst themselves.

Staff at Breakfast were friendly and welcoming. EE

Said it all above !

It was my 1st experience - extremely good. I vowed never to go to Premier Inn again, as I tried it in Peterborough, and they wanted £100 to have one night - I was on the spot and no notice given, as I had just arrived. Moral somewhere ? I really would like to use these again, but must know what to do, as I could not possibly afford the 1-night stand, so to speak. We have been married 60 years, so want ease of doing things and booking in advance presumably. We have given up motor caravanning, so are resulting to B&B. Premier Inn can you give me any advice please? Is it better to book direct or go through "booking.com" ?

• Triple Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

we booked a meal on the friday night fo 3 adults and 2 children the service was very slow over 1hr between the starter and main course and food of a poor quality. olso the room used by my daughter and the 2 children no 513 was very hot resulting in a poor nights sleep .

the inn was child frendly however see below

• Quad Room (2 Adults & 2 Children)

Noise from the adjacent family room Limited disabled car park spaces

The staff were excellent - specifically on reception Particularly Kelly D - Linda - Nnenna and Jamie Leigh gave very good or exceptional service. Kelly D and Nnenna went out of their way to provide superb ambassadorial service.

Located out of the city centre but handy to motorway links and there is a convenient park and ride nearby with a cheap bus to city centre. Good restaurant and clean facilities. Functional and adequate

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

• Triple Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

Our roitom too hot ,window restrictions for safety although understandable, only t and coffee not enough in for 1 cup each

Close enough to visit family at the right price.

• Reviewed: 7 April 2017

The out side could do with a good paint on arriving we thought what a dump very different to others I have stayed in. Once inside it was okay, The other things was you could do with having a fresh water bottle for a drink when you get there also more milk. T he last thing was breakfast on the Saturday morning we had to wait for a table then a lot of hot food was missing

It was very close to where we wanted to go. We was here for a christening on the Sunday so came on the Friday and we spent most of Saturday in Cardiff which was very nice planning to come back soon. With the bus just up the road and them coming every 15 minutes it was perfect location.

• Reviewed: 6 April 2017

• Double Room - Disability Access

The bar area was comfortable and welcoming. The restaurant was nice and light and the tables were not packed in like sardines. I enjoyed the breakfast which was refreshed regularly.

• Quad Room (2 Adults & 2 Children)

Room was quite hot, cooler didn't seem to work?

The staff were outstanding - particularly Kelly who helped with the baby's milk warming and got him a birthday card on the last day as he turned 2 !

Our satnav (TomTom) couldn't recognise the name of the road or PostCode - so we had some trouble getting to the hotel. An info leaflet about public transport would have been helpful. We noticed on the map there appears to be a railway line nearby so to avoid having to drive into the city we enquired about public transport and were told there was a bus service. We caught a bus into the city just fine but had so much trouble trying to find a bus stop for a bus back we gave up and took a taxi (that also had a TomTom and the same difficulty finding the hotel :( )

The hotel itself was fine - and the bed was very comfy :)

• Triple Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

The size of the room for a family, especially the bathroom. It was extremely tiny, far to small for three people to stay in.

The staff were very helpful. The food in the restaurant was nice.

• Triple Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

Bathroom was dirty with hairs in the plug hole in the bath. Very expensive for one night. Dinner was terrible. Not freshly cooked food it was cold. Waitress took 20 min to divide a bill in two and had no idea how the card machine worked.

Television could have been a bit bigger, didn't realise they still made 14" ones anymore, noisy guests coming back earlier hours, walls thin as you could hear people chatting to the wee hours.. shower gel empty, NO PLUG SOCKETS by the bed ???? Why don't you put at least one as you know everyone uses their phones in bed....

Great bed, big bath towels...

• Reviewed: 5 March 2017

Had to move rooms 3 times due to one room having a dirty bathroom and hair and pubes everywhere, second bathroom the shower was broken finally the third room was a clean room for us to unpack for the third time!! Wasted so much time and missed a hair appointment as I was moving room to room for an hour! Didn't even get offered a refund when I told the staff about my experience! Goodnight promise? Not met!

Room was spacious

Wifi is free.. however they try to make up upgrade to a good wifi. It just should be good for all guests. Insufficient ironing boards and irons. The one they gave me was terrible, had burn marks on it and they suggested i use a towel. I gave up trying to iron my shirt. All you can eat breakfast at £9 a pop is overpriced. I eat like a normal human. Although fine I could have taken more, why would I?

Bed was comfortable. Room was a good size although the bathroom was tiny. Staff were in the main friendly. Nice bar/lounge area.