Reviews of Prested Hall 3 stars

Prested Hall, Coggeshall, CO5 9EE, United Kingdom

#1 of 5 hotels in Coggeshall

Location was quiet and handy for the main road, enjoyed the...

evening meal and breakfast were a little disappointing, after reading the reviews on site

Location was quiet and handy for the main road, enjoyed the swimming pool the room was very comfortable

Excellent stay - will be booking again!

Bed was so comfy, breakfast was incredible and the price of the stay was perfect! I booked myself into the spa for a treatment and it was very relaxing. Staff were great and very friendly with my 2 year old!

• Reviewed: 31 August 2018

Lovely location, an absolutely beautiful building and grounds that has the potential to be great
    • Standard Double Room - Attic

The breakfast wasn't great and the wifi was very poor and keeps dropping out. if they want to attract weekday business travellers and more corporate customers they must improve the wifi. The sausages and bacon were poor and deep fried mushrooms are just lazy and not acceptable for a hotel of this class. There are slight improvements and attention to detail needed here and there and this hotel could be excellent (Better breakfast and my coffee pot was dirty).

The hotel is brilliant for a quiet getaway or for a celebration. My evening meal was brilliantly presented and very tasty the tomato and basil soup could have done with a bit more basil.

Hidden Gem

Small and quirky with very friendly staff who make you feel at home immediately. The food was excellent in every way, both evening meal and breakfast. Would definitely stay again if ever in the area.

• Reviewed: 11 August 2018

The hotel is unpretentious with a tranquil lake and wonderful swimming pool a comfy hotel .

I can't find anything I disliked.

I had seen that rooms were air conditioned however our downstairs twin room was not as it was such a hot day 30 degrees I asked for. A fan and without any fuss I was given one Staff were exceptional I visited friends locally with my elderly mother and we enjoyed a very good meal and had a restful stay. It was all on the one level and the gardens were superb Samantha is a credit to the hotel I hope to return soon Thankyou

• Reviewed: 28 July 2018

Very pleasant, would stay again when the weather cools!

Two things - one, it was boiling hot and as this is an old property there’s no air con and small windows. We complained and the duty manager and his manager did get us some fans and a/c units which was appreciated but it was still like an oven. The other issue is that the bathrooms in the attic room are a bit weird; there’s a toilet with a sink and a shower room but that doesn’t have a toilet, so the suite sleeps up to five people but only one toilet which seems silly given how much space there is!

It was very clean and the grounds are beautiful, we stayed in the attic suite which was really spacious. The food in the restaurant was really good and although they don’t have a kids’ menu, they were very accommodating with the children and had lots of choices for them, too!

Beautiful place with friendly staff, food was good but over priced and wifi didn't work.

The wifi was free but none of the 5 available worked or would stay connected. The evening menu was over priced for what you got and everything was an extra.

lovely location, grounds, building and friendly staff.

Amazing and calm place, definitely a must for people wanting to escape the hustle and bustle of ever

I like the antique furniture, but at is not very useful. Also , the Wi-Fi didn't work.

Excellent, friendly and helpful staff. The breakfast was huge and everything of a great quality Comfy rooms and great atmosphere.

Staff were very friendly, beautiful setting, food very good,...

Wifi was not great. Water pressure in the hotel (not the spa) was not great. Unfortunate that the two weekday nights I stayed out of four I experienced loud music from 1am-4am with lots of chat below my window. I still slept albeit disturbed!

Staff were very friendly, beautiful setting, food very good, very clean, beds very comfortable.

Good stay but no better than anywhere else I’ve been

The fact that no one told us that it was going to shut an hour after we checked in so when we went to use the pool it was closed One of the main reasons I booked it

The fact it had a pool and gym

Perfect!

I wouldn't change a thing

Staff were friendly and very helpful. Food was incredible. Hotel is very clean and nicely furnished. Beautiful flowers everywhere added a lovely fragrance and eye catching displays.

Great find in Essex!

Beautiful old building in a lovely country feel setting . Room was lovely with a large and beautiful old bathroom. The breakfast was very good. We found the staff helpful and very friendly.

A perfect short break!

No complaints at all

We stayed just one night for my wife's birthday and we were really impressed. The lady on Reception was pleasant and helpful, and our room was upgraded from a double to the bridal suite! We specifically booked a hotel with an indoor pool but the sauna and steam room were an added bonus. Breakfast was great, it's in a lovely location so we could walk around the grounds. Very easy to get to too, being just off the A12, yet it was set back far enough so it was really quiet with no traffic noise. We would highly recommend!

Still my favourite stay in that part of the world, but they need to sort their Wifi!!

The wifi. Seriously, after all these years of having the establishment I am dumbfounded by the reluctance to invest in what is pretty imperitive infrastructure for a hotel in 2018. The staff blame it on being 'so far down the line;, but that has nothing to do with the problem. Guests would probably accept a weak signal but the wiring of the router and boosters is the problem, not the signal to the site. This is a really annoying issue which does make me think twice about each time I book...but still I return.

I stay here a lot. The building is old and rickety and full of charm. The staff are all lovely. Parking in safe, and excellent. Breakfast and food in general is amazing. Very well situated for that part of Essex near major routes.

Totally relaxing and comfortable, will definitely be going back very soon!
    • Family Room

The only comment we had is that we were missing soap in one of the 2 sinks, not a biggie as we had some with us so didnt bother to ask reception.

The staff were fantastic and so friendly and helpful. We never felt rushed or in the way. We stayed for Afternoon tea, Dinner, Breakfast and lunch and could not fault the food in any way. Our room was huge and the beds so comfy and very clean. Bathroom was new and clean too. There were lovely touches such as homemade biscuits in the room that made it extra special.

would stay again

by a quirk of fate we had no food menu or drinks menu or breakfast menu at our table but this was quickly remedied when the waiter asked for our order the pastry on the dessert was hard enough to explode the dessert onto my shirt but as my wife had no trouble with a similar dessert im not sure why

Stunning building and lovely receptionist

You have to eat over the road in the evening at the tennis club and they are not very welcoming plus only have 4 options for evening meal! Breakfast was limited just cereal, bread and cooked. Room was cold and bathroom was not the cleanest. Shower would not empty and removed the plug to find....yuk! Bath also had a few hairs around. So not that clean, no evening meal and limited breakfast :( Pitched for retired couples for the odd night away....

The property is full of character, easy parking and reasonable price

Relaxing

We had a brilliant stay for the night. We loved how easy it was to find and loved the swimming pool was very clean and also quite which was nice. We enjoyed the steam room and sauna was lovely and relaxing. Our room was beautiful and we had a two course meal in the evening which was lovely excellent value for money. We enjoyed a lovely breakfast in the morning which was included in the price we were amazed at such quality food for amazing price. Definitely would come back here had the best stay.

Memorable stay in a beautiful hotel with fantastic staff- Well worth a visit

There is some work to be done on the driveway and this was obviously interrupted due to the poor weather. I think I would have to be very picky to highlight this. It didn't spoil my stay in the least

This is an amazing hotel. Spotless and beautifully maintained. The staff are cheerful, friendly and nothing is too much trouble. Check in was simple and straightforward. I travel a fair bit up and down the country and I can honestly say this place has to be in my top 3. I highly recommend a visit for lunch or an overnight stay - just to sample the fab breakfast. The bedroom was spacious and beautifully furnished - it reminded me of a Laura Ashley Hotel minus the pretense!

Lovely rural location within easy reach of London, near to both Colchester and Chelmsford cities

Very friendly welcome upon arrival, taken to our room by the young guy on reception who explained that our room was one of the original rooms with lots of the original features

Didn’t stay long enough to really appreciate anything
    • Executive Double Room

Stayed in the dingle. Over priced for what it is. The Bathroom and toilet is dated and cold took a few hours to warm up as electric heating with no underfloor heating. It was Full of ladybirds. And it’s more of a small leisure centre on site than a spa.

Didn’t stay long enough to really appreciate anything Although the real tennis court was good to see.

Very lovely, a little over priced though!

I was slightly disappointed with the spa, lack of seats/loungers, a group of women took all the seats and the lounges but didn't use them all but covered them with towels so no one else could! The staff there were ok!

The room was lovely, the food was excellent ! The place was very clean and comfortable!

thoroughly enjoyable

radiator in the bathroom was luke warm and was never going to be able to heat a very large bathroom on a very cold night. we were given an additional heather which sorted the problem

loved the building, the staff were very helpful

Very nice and relaxing

In the morning the cleaners were sort of waiting about in the corridor outside the rooms waiting to clean them just looked a little bit unprofessional

The room was very nice

A very comfortable stay, a good evening meal and breakfast was excellent on both days. I

The room, number 10 was a bit small, my husband is a large man! We found the room a bit cold and as soon as we mentioned this, a heater was put into the room. I enjoyed having the opportunity to use the swimming pool and steam room. The facilities were spotlessly clean and the staff most helpful. The grounds of the hotel are beautiful and we enjoyed strolling around the Hall especially as the weather was so good during our stay.

Cozy place and worth an overnight.
    • Family Room

The floors are not well insulated so we were woken very early by the room upstairs. They weren't being particularly noisey, just walking around. Not a fault with staff or hotel as such.... But if you want to lay in... bring your earplugs. Kids can only use the pool on the weekends as shown on the hotel website.

Breakfast was fantastic and staff are very helpful and friendly. Cozy and romantic place that is close to Colchester. In a traditional county house style.

It was peaceful, comfortable and enjoyed every minute of it.

The bed was so comfortable, the mattress was superb, the duvet was feathered and light, but so warm. We spent 3 days relaxing in bed! The pillow were very comfortable too. Staff were very friendly and helpful. The swimming pool was nice the changing rooms were very clean and luxurious. We had a lovely 3 day stay. It was nice and quiet everything I was looking for!

Family getaway
    • Family Room

We had a great stay at Prested Hall. The staff were really helpful and friendly and the hotel is in a great location to explore the area or simply stay in and relax. Our room was really spacious and very clean and we as a family had all we could wish for. The staff were very helpful and lovely with our 18month old too and the duck pond was a big hit! Our breakfast was fabulous and the staff were terrific. We would definitely stay again and I would like to recommend Prested Hall to you.

Breakfast was good and service was excellent
    • Standard Double Room - Attic

Poor wi-fi which didnt help as I needed for work, so unless they improve the Wi-Fi I will have to look elsewhere to stay

Breakfast was good and service was excellent

Great birthday weekend

A bit chilly in some places but it was January. Spa is run separately from hotel and closes too early at weekends

Lovely place and staff were wonderful. Superb service. Good meal moved to library as we were only guests. Felt like private dining with intimate atmosphere. Surprise birthday cake topped it off.

Great hospitality,lovely clean room and an extremely comfortable bed
    • Superior Double Room - Attic

Not a thing a very enjoyable stay

The bed was so comfortable we missed breakfast .The evening meal was lovely we would go back the waiter who served our evening meal was attentive and good not do enough for us wonderful service

Relaxing country feel

Dinner sorry

Breakfast was very good and very friendly staff, dinner was disappointing it had been made previously pre order I could just tell. Menu could be more variable.

Romantic, funny ,peaceful & PERFECT
    • Superior Double Room - Attic

The pool was freezing and the heating didn’t seem to heat the bed room up

The staff was brilliant we had a proper laugh with them (the younger staff) the bedroom and bath room was breathtaking just a little chilly but we understood it was an attic room the food was lovely we had an amazing weekend and left very relaxed and very loved up it was perfect

Peaceful. Relaxing.

No jacuzzi! As had superior room hoped would have better seating area...perhaps sofa.

Lovely fresh coffee in room. All food was top class. Bistro meal delicious and great value.

usually very good but this time disappointing.

gap between bed and mantelpiece was very narrow and difficult to pass without contact with the latter, particularly for a shorter person. plug in bathroom sink did not fit properly. Television control had no back so batteries were held in by sellotape. when remote was turned the right way up for use, batteries became disconnected so that it did not work.

Outstanding service and experience

Stayed prior to my wedding with my Best Man, the experience from arrival to departure was amazing. Staff, particularly on the evening, are an asset to the hotel. Nothing was too much trouble. Would definitely recommend and return to the hotel. Many thanks..

Room was quite small. Wall sockets were difficult to access. Leisure facilities adequate but a bit tired need upgrading in keeping with the hotel.

Enjoyable stay. Very helpful staff. Excellent breakfast. Very comfy beds and spacious en-suite with fabulous shower. Had a lovely meal at the bistro which was good value for money.

Comfy bed, spa brill, food lovely.

Shame meal wasn't in Prested Hall. Had to walk to the health club. Maybe because we were the only two staying there that night.

Comfy bed, spa brill, food lovely.

Disappointed.

more of a wedding machine than a hotel and as a wedding venue is excellent Facilities, swimming pool and restaurant divorced from the building by approx. 200M Not a good walk in bad weather. these facilities are part of a leisure centre and busy with the general public. The room was a good size but lacked a fridge, air-con which could have been a portable one, in 30 degrees it was needed. Bath is very rounded at the bottom, most unsuitable to have a shower over it and no anti slip mat provided. very small Tv

excellent breakfast staff very pleasant and efficient and tried very hard to make our stay pleasant Room moved to the front of the Hotel so to be out of the sun.

Spider in the bath
    • Standard Double Room - Attic

I have never stayed in a hotel that you are unable to order any type of food after 6 pm on a Sunday. Customers should be offered some kind of meal/ snack I was absolutely starving

• Reviewed: 27 May 2017

Lovely,great bed, fab staff and great time...coming back soon

We had a problems with the shower but the staff and manager were great and the issue sorted. Didn't like that we only had ONE night would have loved more.

The property was in beautiful grounds. The staff lovely and very helpful. Very comfy bed. Great having the sports and spa facilities in the grounds. Looking forward to coming back.

• Reviewed: 17 May 2017

a welcome pit stop in Essex

difficult to criticise but the winter duvet coincided with a warm night - can't blame the hotel for nice weather!

Eggs florentine were perfect and hollandaise sauce was to die for! Swimming pool, sauna and steam room at the on site leisure complex were excellent!

• Reviewed: 14 May 2017

Pleasant stay

nothing bad to mention

Went to a wedding so wasn't in the Hotel much. Slept well, the bed was very comfortable and the swimming pool was good for a morning swim. Overall a good stay

An excellent choice for our overnight stay

Reaching our attic room was like negotiating a maze — along narrow corridors and steep staircases with frequent left and right turns. Our mattress was too soft and the pillows were too soggy to be of any use. No food is available at the hotel on Sunday evenings and we had great difficulty finding somewhere else to eat. On Sundays most local pubs only serve food at lunchtime and no nearby restaurants seemed to be open other than Indian Cottage in Kelvedon. We finally found Tavern on the River (a.k.a. Railway Tavern), where we were able to enjoy typical pub food.

The hotel has a pleasing country house atmosphere and is surrounded by landscaped grounds, with some unusual trees and a lake with nesting ducks and swans. All the staff we came into contact with were friendly and helpful. Once we finally reached it, our bedroom was fine, as was its adjoining bathroom, which has a large shower and a full-size bath (plus a fireplace!). Breakfast was excellent, with a good choice of cooked dishes. The conservatory breakfast room has a pleasant view of the hotel's lake, with ducklings running about on the grass beside it.

Amazing relaxing break!

The hollandaise sauce was slightly too rich and too much of it at breakfast.. but that is all!

Bed linen was lovely a soft! Breakfast was really lovely & a really relaxing break for us both. We only booked this a week in advance and for easter weekend there was some avaliability, it was a quiet break away and some lovely pubs around also.

highly recommended will definitely return

Dinner and breakfast were both superb well cooked with excellent quality meat. Room 1 was beautiful with huge comfortable bed. The restoration of the property was a labour of love and this passion continues through all the staff

Great, would defo stay again
    • Superior Double Room - Attic

The staff were friendly, as in extremely friendly, helped us to find somewhere to eat outside of the hotel. The breakfast was lovely, room was lovely, the grounds were lovely. It was actually amazing. I enjoyed the handmade biscuits in the room.

• Reviewed: 6 April 2017

Great character property. Food good if not great. Nice rooms.

Room 11 great, but shower water temperature varied without warning. Started off fine then ice cold.following morning fine for a few mins then suddenly became boiling hot. Slipped and slightly hurt my wrist as I tried to escape the scalding jet! Also wasn't told pool is closed Weds mornings for cleaning: If this had been explained I would have used the previous evening. I missed out! :-(

Lovely old house with character. Great service snd staff with positive pro-cusromer attitude. Plenty of parking and comfy bed. Peaceful location. Breakfast excellent and better than bistro dinner, which was just ok.

Dont miss this place it is amazing
    • Standard Double Room - Attic

nothing really - if I want to be picky I would say the drive needs repairing but otherwaise nothing

the staff are fantastic, really helpful and natural. the facilities are excellent. the place is spotless the food is amazing and the choice is great

Beautiful place to stay
    • Standard Double Room - Attic

There are no negatives here just a fantastic place to stay and we will be doing it again and recommending to all our friends

Very comfortable room and extra friendly helpful staff that go the extra mile

Wonderful stay at Prested Hall,we can't wait to return!

The friendly staff,the beautiful building with so much history and the amount of work gone into restoring the building whist managing to keep the charm.The beautiful peaceful bedroom,the only sound was of the occasional pheasant!

Lovely stay in a beautiful location.

We managed to get a twin room at a reduced price. Larger than average single beds,nice and comfy with plumped up pillows.lovely breakfast. The spa was an extra bonus with a decent size pool. It's set in a beautiful location.stayed at the end of March and arrived on a nice sunny day so we were able to sit outside with a drink admiring the views.we ate out at the sun inn pub up the road and the meal was delicious. We look forward to coming back for another stay at pressed hall.

Lovely rural grounds in convenient location

Nothing Conve

Close to A12 for convenience yet very quiet and set in beautiful grounds. Excellent parking and charming friendly staff. Excellent incredibly generous supper and very good value.

• Reviewed: 19 February 2017

great leisure hotel terrible business hotel

wi fi not fit for purpose - could not even downlioad newspaper, gym opened too late in the morning at 0800, bistro closed at 2015. booking confirmation does not have road on it so hard to find. No desk in room

lovely gym, lovely staff, great bed linen

• Reviewed: 14 February 2017

Fantastic place for a nice little night away.
    • Standard Double Room - Attic

My boyfriend said the pool was cold. I didn't mind the temperature. Breakfast could maybe be served until a little later.

The bed was so comfy and the bathroom was gorgeous. Room 15 is cozy. We didn't hear a single noise from outside or other guests either. I loved the building too, it had a real charm about it.

• Reviewed: 25 January 2017

Weekend break with buddies.

The radiator was not working in the room but house keeping got on to it straight away and got a radiator. The Pool was cold but that is not the Hotels fault these things happen.

Booked this to meet up with an old friend we had a excellent time, the Hall is amazing with so much history, the staff were very friendly and could not help you enough. Rooms comfortable and clean. The leisure facilities we really enjoyed as booked a package good value. We will be returning. We had breakfast and 1 evening meal top quality excellent chief. 10 out of 10.

• Reviewed: 23 January 2017

Staff where all lovely very helpful
    • Executive Double Room

The swimming pool was not fixed it was too clod we was looking forward to have a good time in the pool with the baby , and to stay a bit longer the Nexted day to go swimming again

The grounds , the comfort of the room

• Reviewed: 19 January 2017

A perfect evening.

n/a

I book this hotel for my wife's birthday present and it could not be more perfect. The staff were very polite and willing to go the extra mile to ensure you have a pleasant stay. The food was excellent and being that we were the only guest there (last night at the hotel before closing down for Christmas), they moved us from the dining room to the library to eat. The library was surrounded by 11 lit candles and soft music in the background, very intimate. As for our room, it was very spacious & clean and the bed was very comfy. I would not hesitate to book here again. Thank you to all the staff there for making it perfect for us that evening.

• Reviewed: 17 January 2017

Unusual, cosy country hotel with good facilities

Wished we could have had a Shower

Lovely ambience and very friendly , helpful staff , great choice of cooked breakfast and individual rooms rather than run if the mill.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2016

clean, but not relaxing at all! got no sleep!

Couldn't eat there, drink at the bar, or sit down stairs due to a function! Couldn't get any treatments at the spa,or relax as was too busy!

Clean and cozy

• Reviewed: 26 October 2016

An Ideal choice for our three day break.

On the down side, and being really "picky".The room was to warm for our liking and despite the radiator having a thermostatic valve, it didn't function! So no control on room temperature! Apart from that All was good.

They have an excellent breakfast chef, serving up the best hotel breakfasts we've ever had! And served in the garden room overlooking the water with its abundance of wild life, heron, swans, pheasants, moorhens and coots. Oh! And not forgetting the early morning fox! A truly delightful start to the day!

• Reviewed: 1 September 2018

Very comfy bed and bathroom

The breakfast was very poor as it clearly was not cooked freshly

Very comfy bed and bathroom

it was relaxing and nice just the wifi / GSM didn't work well

wifi and GSM connection almost not working

beatiful country side and old house

It was a lovely place to stay, staff very helpfull and...
    • Standard Double Room - Attic

It was a lovely place to stay, staff very helpfull and friendly, will stay again soon.

• Reviewed: 10 August 2018

Excellent value for money

Friendly staff peaceful place to stay

• Reviewed: 28 July 2018

Good

Asking to fill out this bloody silly questionnaire

Friendly welcome, gin and tonic perfect

Great!

A fan was required in the room during the hot weather as no windows opened in the room

The staff, the excellent facilities, the food, the price!

Will stay again.

Real Tennis courts - brilliant - although local knowledge of court peculiarities a definite advantage to home players! Great experience.

Excellent location and views.

Excellent location and views. Everything was better than expected very good service.

The staff went out of their way to be pleasant and helpful

The wifi and tv in my room did not work at all.

English breaks fast and dinner special

Relaxing friendly house and very helpfull staff.

Lovely old manor house

Our stay

There wasn't anything we didn't like

Quiet, restful, great staff

Perfect place to stay
    • Standard Double Room - Attic

Absolutely nothing, its perfect!!

Lovely place to stay, real quality as far as I'm concerned, I will always stay here when in the area,

Very enjoyable, beautiful place.

All was good.

Very disappointing and breakfast also very poor.

It advertised a restaurant but the bistro in the spa was the only place to eat and the choice was very limited indeed.